Quantcast

11 minutes ago, triplem said:

I do feel terrible for Young Min . He's shouldering too much on his little shoulders wanting to protect his mum. He is really just a kid after all , and I wish that the father does not use him that way. But it is clear that the dad/ the ex is not over JS and in my mind I don't think he's ultimately trying to take custody back from JS. In fact I think he keeps using YM as an excuse to be still part of JS's life. I am keen to find out what happened to them , why JS left . 

Yes, I don’t think he wants to take Young Min from Ji Soo but he uses or will use the child as a tool to hold on to Ji Soo in whatever way he can. I think if Ji Soo remain single for the rest of her life it would suit him fine because he still has a foothold in her life through Young Min. It would be nice if Young Min can feel secure without the threat of custody being revoked from Ji Soo but the fact that he knows to worry about this must mean that he must have heard some threat in the past about his father taking him away from his mom. 

Thinking about it, I wonder if Ji Soo has ever been happy since her college days. Back then her domineering father clearly gave her a difficult time. Then she married and I kind of believe her mother-in-law gave her hell. Her introduction at the hospital was the slap across Ji Soo’s face. The only other bright spot in her life must be Young Min because she went from a terrible father to that kind of mother-in-law.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ep. 10 Recap   We start off with the train scene. - 1995 - JS runs to the hospital, she's drenched in the rain. Instead of the morgue, she heads to the emergency room. But all she se

DCInside post from the Director of When My Love Blooms (Trans. enchantedyears. Source)   Hello, everyone... I'm Son Jung Hyun, the director of "When My Love Blooms".   I would like

This was originally a double post of the one above. I'm gonna use this area for a DC Gallery post translation instead    Chronological Timeline of Young Jisoo and Jaehyun's Relationship (Sour

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200507000340

’90s music is back, across generational divide

Drama soundtracks lead the newtro trend

By Lim Jang-won | May 9, 2020

56C074BE-CE37-4DE2-A5D1-C0D55CA1595A.jpg

The five main characters from “Hospital Playlist” play music together in a college band. (CJ ENM)

Young artists are repopularizing songs from the ’90s as part of a newtro trend that has hit the music scene, along with a wide range of other industries in South Korea, influencing tastes in beverages, fashion and games.

Spearheading the newtro music trend is the soundtrack from the popular tvN drama series “Hospital Playlist,” which has released songs from each of its episodes.

“Hospital Playlist” centers on five doctors in their 40s who have been friends since college and are reunited some 20 years later. They play music from their younger days, when they formed a college band. 

“We chose songs that not only reflect the atmosphere of the drama and fit the actors but also reflect the plot of each episode,” said the “Hospital Playlist” production team. 

Eight songs from the soundtrack have been released so far: Kwon Jin-ah’s cover of Boohwal’s “Lonely Night” (1997), Red Velvet member Joy’s cover of Basis’ “Introduce Me a Good Person” (1996), Jo Jung-suk’s cover of mixed-gender pop group Cool’s song “Aloha” (2001), K-pop boy band Super Junior member Kyuhyun’s cover of Lee Seung-hwan’s “Confession Is Not Flashy” (1993), Urban Zakapa’s cover of Lee Jeong-yeol’s “Beautiful My Love” (1999), Kwak Jin-eon’s cover of Zoo’s “In Front of City Hall at the Subway Station” (1990), J Rabbit’s cover of Mono’s “You Always” (1993) and K-pop group Mamamoo member Whee In’s cover of the late Seo Ji-won’s “With My Tears” (1996).

“Aloha” -- featured in the third episode -- has topped music charts since its release. 

“Many genres of music were loved in the ’90s, so there is a surplus of materials available for consumption,” said music critic Choi Kyu-sung. “It was a period when we turned from analog to digital, and different genres of music flourished,” he said. “Newtro is nothing new, as bringing back old songs has been around for a while, and it will continue as it has become a category of its own,” said Choi.

When My Love Blooms” is another tvN drama that features ’90s music on its soundtrack. “Don’t Leave My Side” (1991) by Light and Salt played as the two main characters recalled the days when they were in their 20s and fell in love. The music brought back the atmosphere of the ’90s and highlighted the time shifts between past and present.

Newtro music evokes nostalgia in the older generation and presents new music for the younger generation.

“‘Music has now become too common. Smartphones have hundreds of (songs) stored on them or can stream music anytime. Naturally, the reverence for music or the nostalgia has disappeared,” said Lee Ho-jin, who runs an LP bar called Yonhee38Avenue in Yeonhui-dong, Seoul, where one of the scenes from “When My Love Blooms” was shot. “The reason analog comes back is because people yearn for the past. The music of the 2000s doesn’t have the lyricism of the ’90s,” he said.

“Many people ask for music from the ’90s. Artists like Light and Salt, Kim Hyeon-chul and Yang Soo-kyung are requested now and then. People also hear their music from dramas and come to our bar to listen to it,” said Yang of LP bar Dasoyu in Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul.

By Lim Jang-won (ljw@heraldcorp.com)

• Like 8

Ep. 5 Recap - mostly about present JH and JS

- In a hotel room, SK drinks her wine while staring outside the window into the distance and she drops her glass. (I get the impression that she sees the kiss from afar? But I can't be sure since JS & JH were in a car ride before getting to the beach)

- On the beach, JS walks away from JH after the kiss saying it's time to go. But she looks behind her shoulder and there are JS and JH younger selves playing on the beach.

- Young JH and JS got slightly wet and she's hungry and cold. So JH and JS goes to the nearest flea market to get some clothes to change to (insert flea market clip preview here haha) JS tries seonji (clotted cow blood) for the first time. She doesn't like the look of it, but ends up finishing her meal, saying it was delicious.

- In present day, JS and JH take a walk on a bridge. JS asks, "Sunbae, did you think we look a little pretty back then?". JH says, "No, we looked *very*, very, pretty." Then they smile to each other, although rather painfully.

(cont'd under the spoiler tag lol it's LONG)

Spoiler

- Finally JH drops JS at her place. Before she gets out of the car JH says "Yesterday, when I said I was gonna be by your side, I mean it." But she insists it was all a dream, she's woken up. In return he says "If I can protect you, I will. So that you no longer have to cry." JS is like, "Don't worry, I might cry in a dream but in real life I'm good." Then he reassures her not to cry or he'll come to find her if she does and hopes she'll have a good rest.

- SK is asleep in a hotel room but gets waken up by the sound of a doorbell. It's the model guy she's seeing. She wants him to come in but he says he gotta leave soon. Apparently he's not into her for her money(?) He then gives SK a kiss on the cheek but SK looks disinterested. She gives the model a credit card so he can buy himself a new bag and throw away the one he's currently carrying because it's ugly.

- JH goes off to meet SK's dad. I think they're talking about the bank account thing, if it all goes well or not. He asks if SK is okay or not, why is she acting like that again, is JH not afraid of him because he is (either afraid of JH or he's indeed a scary person?)

- In the car, JS receives a call from his friend he met in ep. 1 (investigator? or someone from the bank) saying someone used a credit card at the department store buying branded items. Perhaps the model guy.

- JH meets SK at her hotel room, she's obviously drunk and she throws a pillow at him. She asks where did he go, were you with that woman, she wants him to ignore the fact that she's seeing the model because it was nothing, it's all because of the stress. (I kinda feel bad for SK, but not really)

- At home, JS is thinking about the kiss but then she snaps out of it and does house chores to distract herself. She gets a call from the hotel manager and leaves for the hotel.

- (not sure if JS gets fired from the hotel because of the party fiasco or if she quit) The hotel manager thinks what JS did was cool and refreshing. JS asks, "That refreshing cider-like thing, how much does it cost?" meaning she'll replace the dress cost. The manager will contact her and let her know. Manager asks JS if she's going to go to another hotel because she'll follow her. JS says she still doesn't know where she'll go and what she'll do now. Manager tells her to find some strength and assures her if she lives diligently, good days will come soon. JS replies, "Good days and a good world still haven't come..."

- JS leaves the hotel and sees JH and SK walking out of the lobby. Their car passes JS and she turns her back so they can't see her. She's reminded of the reality.

- In the car, SK says to JH not to act like that again and not to hold another person's hand in front of her. She says, "You know why I act like that." but JH looks outside the window and doesn't say anything back.

- JS goes to see her dad at the hospital, he's sleeping but she still talks to him. Flashback to JH asking for JS's dad permission, etc. Present day JS tells her sleeping dad not to worry because she won't be seeing JH again. She gets a text from the hotel manager saying the dress costs 3million KRW...

- At the music academy, JS asks her boss for some more private class sessions but the boss says she already teaches a lot of private classes. She says she needs some money for an emergency. Not sure what they talk about next but JS ends up thanking the boss. After that JS is seen cleaning the music academy and she goes to Part-Time Heaven app for some extra work. There, she finds a part-time job cleaning dishes at a galbi restaurant.

- Youngwoo, JS' friend comes to her place to meet her but he knows she's not at home. JS gives up and tells her the restaurant she does part-time at. He visits her at the end of her shift and says he's against her working at the restaurant because he's concerned about her hands, she has to play piano and whatnots, he tells her to look for a job at another hotel. She makes up a lot of reasons why she no longer wants to work at a hotel, including because she might meet other moms from her son's school who meet up for hotel brunch.

- The next day, JS gets called in to the hotel again because someone wants to see her. And guess who's there to see JS? None other than SK. SK wants to settle the (dress) issue straight away with JS and calculate things properly but JS says she needs another week to pay the dress back. SK talks about JH and some stuff about lingering feelings that I can't be sure of lol sorry. By the looks of it, SK knows the things that JS live for. Her cards are out in the open.

- JS is at home folding laundry and JH's investigation is on the television, she watches it all goes down including how the prosecutor mocks JH for his student activism he did in the past and if he's ashamed of it.

- Cue to the scene where JH notices he's being followed by a black car after the public investigation. The driver, JW says they've been followed for a few days. JH's car passes by the movie theatre JS sees earlier, it's currently showing "Days of Being Wild" starring Leslie Cheung. Out of the blue, JH asks the driver if he wants to see a movie today lol.

- JH and his driver/secretary go to the movie theatre and get a couple of seats at the back. Guess who's sitting on the front seat at the same "Days of Being Wild" screening? It's ya girl, JS.

- In the past, JS is at the movie theatre alone, watching "Days of Being Wild" etc.

- Going back to the present, JH and his driver walk out of the movie theatre after the movie ends and the driver excuses himself to get the car. JH gets a call from SK and she asks where he is but he says "You know where I'm at, you have someone following me." SK denies about the surveillance and JH says, "Ask your dad, then. He knows where I'm at."

- JH sees JS walk out of the theatre and he sends her a text from afar, "Hold on, I'm behind you." (maybe because JH knows he's being followed so he's being cautious. HOW DID HE GET JS' NUMBER THO? YALL CHAEBOLS ARE CRAZY.)

- JS looks back to see JH standing. They stand still at their current position and JH continues to text her from where he is. He mentions about the movie ending and quotes something from it about how there are people who keep meeting each other again no matter what.

- Cut to a scene of JS mopping the floor at the music academy again. Poor girl can't seem to catch a break until she sees a guitar. 

- Past JH and JS exchange beeper message codes and what they mean (to prevent each other from having to find a nearby phone to call) through chatroom. Then JH calls JS' phone (LMAOOO girl has a private landline in her room!!! She rich rich huh?) and JH plays her a song on his guitar. JS cries.

- In the club room, JS sits on JH's lap and teaches her how to play the song JH played earlier on the guitar.

- Present JS plays the same song on the guitar. She still remembers it :( and present JH listens to the same song on the stereo while reading a book in his library.

- Youngmin spends some time at his dad's place where he still lives with her mom. Sehun's mom interrogates what Youngmin's mom is up to and if JS is still alone. She really wants to make sure if JS hasn't met a new guy. While YM is asleep, sneaky SH finds the letter YM wrote for JS.

- JH and his driver/secretary goes to the mall where JH got his copy of "Love Letter" back then. The music store is still there. JH got himself a guitar.

- JS visits the home of a student who needs piano lessons. Turns out the student's older sister (Seri) goes to Youngmin's school and she knows their mom. Seri's younger sister is the one who needs piano lessons. Seri's mom says Seri is at Junseo's house and everyone was invited. JS just says that YM isn't that close to Junseo. The atmosphere between them kinda gets awkward.

- JH meets Dongjin for drinks but seems like he has something in plan that involves him while showing off the guitar he bought.

- After that, JH drives off to meet JS, he texts her that he's in front of her place. JS hurries to her closet and picks a decent top and a jacket. She checks herself one last time in the mirror. JS receives a call from SH but she decides to ignore it. Little did she know SH is in front of her house and Youngmin is crying in his room because SH already finds out about what happened at school.

- JS sees JH in front of her house. JH says he's here to give her something (a guitar) that he promised to buy her a long time ago but JS says she can't receive something like that. JH also says it's because he misses/wants to see her (I always can't translate the term correctly because they're the same haha). Anddd as we all know SH sees the two from his car and starts looking JH up on the internet. SH finds out JH has a wife and so he takes JH and JS's photos.

END

Ep. 6 TEXT PREVIEW

Jaehyun comes over to meet Jisoo while leaving the person who follows him. Sehun has been pressuring Jisoo not only because of Jaehyun but also because of their son, Youngmin's school problems. Meanwhile, Jaehyun, who is about to get arrested for account manipulation, shows a move that goes beyond everyone's expectations. In 1995, when Jaehyun's name was put on the wanted list, Jaehyun and Jisoo tell a painful lie to cover for each other.

--

Some personal thoughts:

At this point, I wish a miracle would happen to JS so that she can get rich overnight. I want her to be so free from her suffering and debts that she can lead a happy life with her son, with or without JH (my questionable moral compass still wants present day JH to end up with JS tho lol). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

@enchantedyears thanks for the additional information in your recap. I feel really bad for Young Min. I’m sure going through the divorce had an impact on him and now the aftermath is still grieving the kid. I think if he was more secure that he can stay with his mom, he would not be carrying this burden. His worries aren’t about his parents getting back together. His worries seem to be that he doesn’t want to be taken from his mom.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, enchantedyears said:

Ep. 5 Recap

:heart: Thank you so much!   Your recap is really good.  I hope you will keep doing this for more episodes. 

I love being spoiled because I can watch the episode feeling relaxed since I know what will happen.  If I don't know, then I end up worrying and I have to keep stopping in the middle to walk away from the screen to avoid getting upset.  Knowing ahead of time is the best.

• Like 7
  • Awesome 1
42 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@enchantedyears thanks for the additional information in your recap. I feel really bad for Young Min. I’m sure going through the divorce had an impact on him and now the aftermath is still grieving the kid. I think if he was more secure that he can stay with his mom, he would not be carrying this burden. His worries aren’t about his parents getting back together. His worries seem to be that he doesn’t want to be taken from his mom.

No problem! I will give credit to Youngmin for being a perceptive child. I'm sure at some point in his life he's seen how her mom got mistreated by his paternal grandmother. He really wants to see his mom happy and he knows it's not when his dad is around. Youngmin is also not relaxed when he's with his dad, he looks rather anxious and feels like he has to put up a front. I'm sure it wasn't only flu that made him faint before his dad picked him up, anxiety and stress contributed to it as well. I love that he wrote a letter to JS so that he can say everything he wants to say to her. It's a good start. Too bad, SH found the letter.

@thistle you're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it. I managed to do this one because it airs on Saturday instead of weekdays. Hopefully I can do another one tomorrow. We'll see ;)  I love reading recaps too! That's why I was disappointed that no blogger seems to be doing a (live) recap. But then I thought to myself, "Why not do a recap now that I understand enough Korean?" :lol:

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1
2 minutes ago, enchantedyears said:

No problem! I will give credit to Youngmin for being a perceptive child. I'm sure at some point in his life he's seen how her mom got mistreated by his paternal grandmother. He really wants to see his mom happy and he knows it's not when his dad is around. Youngmin is also not relaxed when he's with his dad, he looks rather anxious and feels like he has to put up a front. I'm sure it wasn't only flu that made him faint before his dad picked him up, anxiety and stress contributed to it as well. I love that he wrote a letter to JS so that he can say everything he wants to say to her. It's a good start. Too bad, SH found the letter.

I think that is very likely the case. I noticed it when he was looking at his grade results. I think he slipped to #11 ranking when, if I understand it correctly, he’s usually #1. He was worried about what his dad would say. That indicated he feels pressured to keep up his grades probably foremost for his father not to find fault and secondly for his scholarship. Then he’s also being harassed because the pages in his textbook were torn out. That’s a lot for a little kid to bear all on his own.

• Like 8

https://www.soompi.com/article/1399327wpp/yoo-ji-tae-lee-bo-young-and-kim-young-hoon-are-ice-cold-as-they-confront-their-problems-in-when-my-love-blooms

Yoo Ji Tae, Lee Bo Young, And Kim Young Hoon Are Ice Cold As They Confront Their Problems In “When My Love Blooms”

May 9, 2020
by U. Kim

Kim Young Hoon will confront Lee Bo Young as Yoo Ji Tae deals with his own problems in the upcoming episode of tvN’s “When My Love Blooms.”

“When My Love Blooms” tells the story of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who were each other’s first love and then meet up again later on in life. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young play the characters in the present while GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee play the characters in the past.

Spoilers

Previously, Yoon Ji Soo’s ex-husband Lee Se Hoon (Kim Young Hoon) found out that their son Young Min (Ko Woo Rim) was a victim of school violence. Sensing something strange about Yoon Ji Soo, he kept a close eye on her and witnessed her meeting with Han Jae Hyun.

The preview stills show Yoon Ji Soo and Lee Se Hoon looking at one another coldly. Lee Se Hoon looks more at ease than Yoon Ji Soo does as, if he has something on her. On the other hand, Yoon Ji Soo appears to be outraged unlike her usual self.

Spoiler

2EC1A7A5-67D4-4E7C-A3C3-A78B672A9991.jpg

Meanwhile, Han Jae Hyun attends questioning at the prosecutors’ office regarding the company’s corruption issues. It remains to be seen if he will get into an even more unfavorable situation due to his relationship with Yoon Ji Soo as well as what choice Yoon Ji Soo will be forced to make.

“When My Love Blooms” airs every Saturday and Sunday at 9 p.m. KST.

Watch the latest episode below!

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

• Like 5

The innocence and purity of one's first love was captured beautifully by Jin Young and So Nee. The 2 actors are so comfortable in their scenes with such a natural chemistry. 

Great. Now it's bad enough Seo Kyung is sinking her claws into Jae Hyun, but Ji Soo's no good ex is joining in the mix ugh. Poor Young Min... he's struggling with school and all. I worry that the kid spends too much time away from his mom..? 

I love the banter between Jae Hyun and his assistant ha-ha! As well as the other guy with Ji Soo - Young Woo is it LoL? He better not add onto the barriers that will split our otp apart:P<_<

• Like 7

Jaehyun secretary is such a friend goal lol. 

The past just show even more reason to ship Jaehyun and jisoo.

And yeah it is not one sided anymore. Both jaehyun and jisoo actualy want it although both know how wrong it is.

And seo kyung wow the way she talk alright i also see other man so it is fair bla2. Typical chaebol way. 

It is not love it is obsession.

• Like 5

This is the character description for Ji-Su's ex-husband:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnblossom/6/Contents/Html?h_seq=4

이세훈 (김영훈)

지수의 전 남편

"당신도, 포기 안 할 거야.
영민이가 있는 한..
당신은 절대 멀리 못 가니까."

강남의 대형 로펌 변호사. 소싯적 압구정, 잠실의 땅을 사모아 돈방석에 앉은 강복순의 외아들이다. 어려서부터 엄마 기에 눌려 이리저리 휘둘리며 자라왔다. 돈이 차고 넘치는 엄마 덕에, 갖고 싶은 건 늘 손에 쥘 수 있었다. 이기적이고 욕심 많은 마마보이가 된 건 어쩌면 당연한 결과였다.

명예가 필요하다는 세훈母의 욕심에 따라 사법고시를 패스했다. 좋지 않은 성적으로 연수원을 마치고, 갈 데 없는 세훈은 국선변호사를 택했다. 그 곳에서, 공무원 폭행죄로 잡혀온 지수를 변호하게 되는데 가냘프고 여린 얼굴로, 꼿꼿하고 강단 있게 소신을 말하는, 벼랑 끝에 선 천사 같은 지수에게 마음을 뺏겼다.

그 후로 지수에게 끈질기게 구애를 하고, 지수의 아버지까지 돌본 끝에 지수와 결혼하게 되었다. 지수가 자신을 사랑하지 않는다는 걸, 처음부터 알았다. 시간이 지나면 자신을 사랑하게 될 거라고 생각했지만 지수의 사랑은 온전히 아들만을 향했다. 여전히 지수를 사랑하고 원하던 세훈의 사랑은 점점 뒤틀려만 가는데..

Lee Se-Hun
Ji-Su's ex-husband

Lawyer at a big firm in Gangnam. He is the only child of his mother who bought a lot of land and is very rich. He was at the mercy of her whims since he was young, and because she was rich, he always got everything he wanted, and that is why he is a selfish and greedy "mama's boy."

His mother wanted "honor," so he passed the bar exam. He finished the training institute with poor grades, so he had to become a public defender. That was when he defended Ji-Su after she was arrested for violence against a civil service worker. She had a delicate, gentle face but she spoke uprightly with determination, she was like an angel pushed to the edge of a cliff and she stole his heart.

So he tried endlessly to win her love, and even took care of her father, and succeded in marrying her. He knew from the start that she did not love him. He thought that she would come to love him as time passed, but all her love went to their son. He continues to love and want her, but his love is becoming twisted...

--

My thoughts about him. Even though she never loved him, I still wonder why she is so hostile towards him and why she was so insistent on getting sole custody.

So here are my questions:

1. I'm curious to know how the court found that he was the one who contributed to the breakdown of the marriage.
2. I don't know how family law works in Korea, but can a spouse get custody of the child in exchange for refusing to receive any child support or alimony? Doesn't the court decide on what's best for the child?
3. Why does the ex-MIL ask if Ji-Su is dating a man? Why does that matter? How can that be used to try and get custody of Yeong-Min from her? A divorced woman can't date anyone, or else she will lose her child?

Anyway... I just sense that something is very toxic about Se-Hun (ex-husband). His mother is an absolute horror, which we know after having seen about 1 minute total of her on screen so far. But that can't be the only reason.

We don't know the full story here... but my heart just breaks for Yeong-Min.
  • Like 9
5 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Spoiler

This is the character description for Ji-Su's ex-husband:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnblossom/6/Contents/Html?h_seq=4

이세훈 (김영훈)

지수의 전 남편

"당신도, 포기 안 할 거야.
영민이가 있는 한..
당신은 절대 멀리 못 가니까."

강남의 대형 로펌 변호사. 소싯적 압구정, 잠실의 땅을 사모아 돈방석에 앉은 강복순의 외아들이다. 어려서부터 엄마 기에 눌려 이리저리 휘둘리며 자라왔다. 돈이 차고 넘치는 엄마 덕에, 갖고 싶은 건 늘 손에 쥘 수 있었다. 이기적이고 욕심 많은 마마보이가 된 건 어쩌면 당연한 결과였다.

명예가 필요하다는 세훈母의 욕심에 따라 사법고시를 패스했다. 좋지 않은 성적으로 연수원을 마치고, 갈 데 없는 세훈은 국선변호사를 택했다. 그 곳에서, 공무원 폭행죄로 잡혀온 지수를 변호하게 되는데 가냘프고 여린 얼굴로, 꼿꼿하고 강단 있게 소신을 말하는, 벼랑 끝에 선 천사 같은 지수에게 마음을 뺏겼다.

그 후로 지수에게 끈질기게 구애를 하고, 지수의 아버지까지 돌본 끝에 지수와 결혼하게 되었다. 지수가 자신을 사랑하지 않는다는 걸, 처음부터 알았다. 시간이 지나면 자신을 사랑하게 될 거라고 생각했지만 지수의 사랑은 온전히 아들만을 향했다. 여전히 지수를 사랑하고 원하던 세훈의 사랑은 점점 뒤틀려만 가는데..

Lee Se-Hun
Ji-Su's ex-husband

Lawyer at a big firm in Gangnam. He is the only child of his mother who bought a lot of land and is very rich. He was at the mercy of her whims since he was young, and because she was rich, he always got everything he wanted, and that is why he is a selfish and greedy "mama's boy."

His mother wanted "honor," so he passed the bar exam. He finished the training institute with poor grades, so he had to become a public defender. That was when he defended Ji-Su after she was arrested for violence against a civil service worker. She had a delicate, gentle face but she spoke uprightly with determination, she was like an angel pushed to the edge of a cliff and she stole his heart.

So he tried endlessly to win her love, and even took care of her father, and succeded in marrying her. He knew from the start that she did not love him. He thought that she would come to love him as time passed, but all her love went to their son. He continues to love and want her, but his love is becoming twisted...

--

My thoughts about him. Even though she never loved him, I still wonder why she is so hostile towards him and why she was so insistent on getting sole custody.

So here are my questions:

1. I'm curious to know how the court found that he was the one who contributed to the breakdown of the marriage.
2. I don't know how family law works in Korea, but can a spouse get custody of the child in exchange for refusing to receive any child support or alimony? Doesn't the court decide on what's best for the child?
3. Why does the ex-MIL ask if Ji-Su is dating a man? Why does that matter? How can that be used to try and get custody of Yeong-Min from her? A divorced woman can't date anyone, or else she will lose her child?

Anyway... I just sense that something is very toxic about Se-Hun (ex-husband). His mother is an absolute horror, which we know after having seen about 1 minute total of her on screen so far. But that can't be the only reason.

We don't know the full story here... but my heart just breaks for Yeong-Min.

It feels like young min was in prison when he was in his father house.

So stressed out and try to not make any mistake so he can leave early

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Insightful 1

@chickfactor, Perhaps the answer to why Ji Soo is hostile to the ex-husband is in exactly what you wrote. A woman can marry a man that she doesn’t love but if she’s then treated consistently unkindly by the MIL and her husband probably does nothing to improve the situation, she’ll be living in hell. Furthermore, I can just imagine how the MIL probably thinks her precious son is too good for Ji Soo and therefore Ji Soo should live in gratitude to them. The husband clearly also have issues on his own. So, with such a MIL and such a husband, how in the world would Ji Soo not endure a miserable existence except for Young Min on whom she poured all her love. He was probably the one bright spot in her married life. 

• Like 5

https://www.soompi.com/article/1399338wpp/the-plot-thickens-between-got7s-jinyoung-jeon-so-nee-and-byung-hun-in-when-my-love-blooms

The Plot Thickens Between GOT7’s Jinyoung, Jeon So Nee, And Byung Hun In “When My Love Blooms”

May 10, 2020
by S. P

D08AE03D-F3DC-4004-A692-7A8FC628F1A0.png

tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” has shared new stills from the upcoming episode!

“When My Love Blooms” is a story about Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who were each other’s first love and then meet up again later on in life. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young play the characters in the present while GOT7‘s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee play the characters during their college years.

Spoiler

In a scene set in the past, Han Jae Hyun witnessed Yoon Ji Soo’s father slap her across the face. Han Jae Hyun then sought out her father and begged him not to show any more violence. This new conflict between the two is expected to cause hardship in Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo’s relationship.

Although Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo have found each other again in the present day, they are unable to approach each other while awash in heart-wrenching emotions. Viewers are wondering what the decisive moment was that tore the two apart in the past. Meanwhile, more details about the difficulties facing the couple in the past are gradually being revealed.

In the new stills, Han Jae Hyun is seen at a temple before being dragged away by two people. His friend Joo Young Woo (Byung Hun) looks after him with a distressed expression (see top image).

In another scene, Han Jae Hyun stares tenderly at Yoon Ji Soo, who looks worriedly back at him.

Spoiler

875D1174-225E-426B-B57A-08562528DDBE.jpg

EAECDF81-5A67-48FB-9E93-E9759FBAC884.jpg

Will Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo end up separating after facing a sudden crisis? What kind of role will Joo Young Woo, who only has eyes for Yoon Ji Soo, end up playing in the new episode?

The new episode of “When My Love Blooms” will air on May 10 at 9 p.m. KST.

Catch up on the latest episode with English subtitles on Viki:

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

@chickfactor My heart breaks for Youngmin as well :tears: I have a feeling that JS' ex-MIL is the type who looks down on people and will only take those who are on her "level" seriously. JS did not graduate from college and she's been imprisoned. Even in societies that don't "save face", very few people would look past those facts. I also believe SH and his mom are desperate to get custody of YM because he's a male and he's smart. They see JS' instability in life can harm YM and his future. There's nothing I hate more than parents who think their children are an extension of themselves. Children become pressured to live up to their parents' expectations when in reality they need support, love and happy parents (separated or not).

--

Some more thoughts...

On Youngmin's school

When JS was thinking if YM should transfer school, I can't help but to think "Yeah, why not?" pretty sure there are other international schools or top schools that would accept him on a scholarship. To me, his current school lost its value when they didn't step up to find the root cause of YM's behavior (ffs he's a top student?) and instead obeyed SK the moment she threatened to stop school donations. The discrimination both JS and YM face is not worth it.

On present day Jaehyun

At this point I have adopted an attitude of "Moral compass? I don't know her." towards this drama because I'm *that* willing to let things slide :phew: maybe it's Yoo Jitae in his rich man suits, maybe it's Maybelline. Who knows. After serving time in prison, JH seems to have a solid plan to take down SK's family (or an exit plan solely for him?) but I don't know how he's going to go against such a huge conglomerate on his own. In real life, no one would ever do such thing and would not have enough support. I think he's ready to remove himself from the family who put him in prison and he's starting to have an idea that he wants JS by his side eventually.

Feel free to hit me with a rock, but I found it very sweet when JH finally bought JS a guitar and gave it to her. Reminds me of when I received a huge package that turns out to be a guitar from my SO at the beginning of quarantine :tears: he wanted to make sure that I don't feel lonely because we have to be apart until lockdown is over. Perhaps this is the sentiment that JH wants to convey to JS now that things are going to get tough with the investigations. Haha it's a bit of a reach, though.

I have so much love for this drama :heart:

• Like 10
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, enchantedyears said:

Feel free to hit me with a rock, but I found it very sweet when JH finally bought JS a guitar and gave it to her. Reminds me of when I received a huge package that turns out to be a guitar from my SO at the beginning of quarantine :tears: he wanted to make sure that I don't feel lonely because we have to be apart until lockdown is over. Perhaps this is the sentiment that JH wants to convey to JS now that things are going to get tough with the investigations. Haha it's a bit of a reach, though.

I have so much love for this drama :heart:

Me too. It is just so sweet to fulfill a long time promise. It even amazing that he remember that promise from 20+ years ago.

I always wait for the recap here and the sub later on this drama is a Great melo indeed

• Like 5
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화