Quantcast

33 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

So let’s stop over-analyzing every scenes and actions, or having too high an expectation for any characters, and just enjoy this plain old school drama. 

Exactly.  It's a drama. Let's enjoy watching the story unfold without expectation.

• Like 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ep. 10 Recap   We start off with the train scene. - 1995 - JS runs to the hospital, she's drenched in the rain. Instead of the morgue, she heads to the emergency room. But all she se

DCInside post from the Director of When My Love Blooms (Trans. enchantedyears. Source)   Hello, everyone... I'm Son Jung Hyun, the director of "When My Love Blooms".   I would like

This was originally a double post of the one above. I'm gonna use this area for a DC Gallery post translation instead    Chronological Timeline of Young Jisoo and Jaehyun's Relationship (Sour

2 hours ago, FactChecker said:

Thank you for your view. But your view is very Western, but you need to understand that East-Asian countries are built on Confucianism. It is a society where "duty", "shame", "honor" and "collectivism" is more important. I am not able to explain these concepts very well, so I looked up an article for you that gives more color on this topic: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/minority-report/201406/asian-shame-and-honor.

The East-Asian society is not a supportive one, where you can freely and openly communicate with each other. It is understandable that the mother is ignoring the problems with her bullying kid, because seeking help is the ultimate blow of humiliation, as it brings shame to her family. To her, her own family is more important than JS' family. You might find this way of thinking deplorable, but these same principles have also good sides. The collective (us against them), no complain/ no open communicating nature found in Confucianism has made countries such as China, Japan and Korea extremely successful. What you are asking from the kid's mom is to be less Korean, which is kinda hard...

And thank you for your view but I’m quite acquainted with Asian culture, the importance they place on filial duty, family honor and so on. 

I’m not asking a thing from the kid’s mom. She can be an awful mom for all I care. My point is, posts are saying that HJH should be the one to teach the kid right from wrong but I’m saying the onerous is also on the kid’s mom. Why dump it all on HJH? Hopefully the mom taking responsibility for her kid is not too Western of a thinking. I would like to think Ji Soo taught her son well and that’s why he’s a nice kid who owns up to his faults.

@ktcjdrama, sorry this is my last post and then I’ll stop after this. Sucking the enjoyment out of the drama is never cool. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Love 3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShfQRkIIecqwh7uK62_yl

After watching episodes 3 and 4, it's now obvious that YJS led a pitiful life; a physically and emotionally abused daughter of a cruel father, treated abominably by her mother-in-law, looked down upon by the other mothers in her son's school and to add to that, a former prisoner.  So, at a young age, she coped by showing a happy and cheerful facade.  My question is, is this still happening in South Korea?  If my mother-in-law slapped me, I'll have her arrested for assault.  

I have issues with episodes 3 and 4.  They were filled with cliches;  the broken heel I've seen in other dramas and it's been done a million times.  Then, there's the repetitive cinderella like action of HJH of replacing her broken boots/shoes with his own to mirror what his younger self did for her.  

It's a given that Jang Seo Kyung, HJH's wife is a spoiled, self-entitled heiress.  Can't the writer think of a better way for her to get back at YJS than try to embarrass her in public?  Not only that, it's supposed to be JSK's party to promote her company, and her action was really, really childish and cheap.  She's the CEO of a company, and as such, she'd behave with decorum in public, no matter how nasty she is as a person.  So it's not realistic that she'd behave the way she did.  It's like watching mean girls and another one of those melo cliches.  What I don't like about this is that JSK, HJH, and YJS are all middle aged individuals and the writer is treating this drama like they never grew up, like they were still in high school.  Oh, and what are the chances that her father did the same thing; throwing a drink all over her.  It's like being hit by lighting twice.  

I'm afraid that this drama may just be one, long pity party for YJS that will end badly or worst, tragically.  The issue is HJH.  He went to prison for his father-in-law.  That tells me that he would do everything to stay where he is, a man who enjoys the finer things in life at the expense of his moral values, and that with YJS, he might just be trying to capture his youth.  But then, when push comes to shove, he'll choose his wife and dump YJS.

That kiss that YJS initiated at the end of episode 4 may mean that she finally realized that it was time for her to spread her wings and take life by the horns and pursue her happiness.  

The above promotional image of YJS with HJH, shows a sultry, sexy woman, self-confident and not afraid to go for what she wants and that is, HJH.  I hope she becomes this woman as the drama progress.  As for HJH, if he really loved her, he should divorce his cheating wife to pursue his own happiness and take back his good, empathetic, helping-the-downtrodden self that he lost along the way.

Here's the piano version that Lee Bo Young played in Episode 1 performed by Andre Gagnon, anotherCanadian composer, conductor, arranger, and actor, accompanied by an orchestra.  I feel like flying when I listen to this.

• Like 3

Full version of the beautiful poem at the end of ep. 4

And apparently When My Love Blooms was the winner of an SBS contest held 6 years ago. No wonder we got so many tropes that were prominent at that time, including the kimchi slap reference :sweatingbullets:

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2
37 minutes ago, enchantedyears said:

And apparently When My Love Blooms was the winner of an SBS contest held 6 years ago. No wonder we got so many tropes that were prominent at that time, including the kimchi slap reference :sweatingbullets:

Interesting!  I wonder why they waited so long to make the series.  And I kinda wonder why they didn't tweak it to ease up on some of the old tropes.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
2 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

Old tropes done well, still bring out the magic of viewers engagement ;)

True that.  :)  I have no complaint, although kimchi slaps must kinda sting--hope that they actors get hazard pay!  ^_^

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Well, eastern or western culture of upbringing differ time to time as we watch in dramas,movies or documentaries,  yet I don’t find anything wrong with JH behaviour towards JS's son after "chair incident".

Yes, JH distance  is vividly visible with his own son and i think writer try to justify this with one or two liner. They can't invest more in that because the drama is not about the Children it’s about their parents. So, as an audience we have to fill the gap whatever explanation we would like to add to that fact.& it will vary person to person.   But, I hope their relationship grow up more and more cause as a father he need it.Otherwise, he will be only the sperm donner not the "father". It’s only 4 episode on board so let's hope for the best. Miles to go before this drama end!       

Back to JH and JS's son, as i am from Asian country and i can relate to this scene positively. You know, sometimes both parents can be jerk and passed it to the child from generation to generation. But sometimes one parents support the right thing and apologise if needed to minimize drastic situation.If it was not that we would provably live in  devil's den. But morality exists in the world for this variation. And younger JH portrayed as an Ideal human.It’s natural he would react that way when he knew his child past history.And when the boy is your juniors/ past lover’s(whom he is searching for 20 years,still holding emotional attachment),things get more personal. That's the reason he confront  him (even I would if i see that gloomy face of this child!) and give some positive energy to that child.The hospital thing is for that too. 

Anyway, JS and JH have their own handful of problem to solve before anything could happen. And the kiss make it impulsive that they'll definitely realise in the next episode because they're adults.I am sure(actually,hope)they'll as I hate cheating under any circumstances. 

It’s a "melo" and "DRAMA" , so let's just enjoy the ride. :D                                                     

• Like 5
  • Love 1

There was a scene when the wife commented to the son engrossed in video game and won't acknowledge her.  She commented with a snicker to his coldness,  "And people think you are not your father's son."   I deduce the son is not Jaehyun's and he knows it and can prove it with something like DNA.  He remains relatively warm as a father, because legally the son is his and probably feels pity towards him.  Jaehyun seems to be a guy who's keeping a lot of cards close to his chest.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

There was a scene when the wife commented to the son engrossed in video game and won't acknowledge her.  She commented with a snicker to his coldness,  "And people think you are not your father's son."   I deduce the son is not Jaehyun's and he knows it and can prove it with something like DNA.  He remains relatively warm as a father, because legally the son is his and probably feels pity towards him.  Jaehyun seems to be a guy who's keeping a lot of cards close to his chest.

She said: You`re just like your dad (cold to her). So no, it's JH son.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

:lol: I believe HJH’s son is his son just like YJS’s son is her ex-husband’s son. I know some speculated that maybe YJS’ son might be HJH’s son but the kid is way below 20 years in age. 

• Like 3

@Flaneur2  I think you maybe right. Or not. But anyway...

Lets talk and post about the children too. This is an adult drama centered on reunited love  but it's also about family and children and how  complicated adult relationships affects them.  Young Min and Joon Seo. The two kids are hurting. Both likely  doesn't have good relation ship with the father.  They should be friends. They are elementary kids  in boarding school in the middle of nowhere. Sad :(

When he said he's envious because Joon Seo has  'that' kind of father. But then.....

I suspect he's rebelling. Or hurting?

*all IG & twt post ctto*

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

If he uses the child as a bait in all of this, I am dropping this show like a hot potato.........I don't know why biology even matters here. Is a child a bait or a toy? Even if he was not his, he could still love and be there? Unless, he feels cheated on and hence the disconnect but that is still not the child's fault...now is it??........but I am pretty sure it is indeed his son......You can't just sign up to be a father and then suddenly decide one day you don't like being one. Its just plain unfair to the child in question and would make Jae Hyun a terrible character. I get that he is suffering in this role as husband and a son-in-law where he is being tossed around at other people's whims. I get that he wants out but he still has to find a way to shield his son from the aftermath of it all. He owes them that much.

As for him going to jail, let me tell you, apparently going to jail is sort of like a rite of passage for Chaebols in Korea....you know where I read it, when Samsung heir went to jail for corruption charges and it was written in CNN. So, Jae Hyun's situation is not unique or unheard of.....its apparently pretty common thing in Uber rich circle.

• Like 3

DCInside post from the Director of When My Love Blooms (Trans. enchantedyears. Source)

Hello, everyone... I'm Son Jung Hyun, the director of "When My Love Blooms".

I would like convey my gratitude to each and every one of you who loves the drama. Three bows for you! Kkubeok! Kkubeok! Kkubeok! (t/n: sound of someone bowing three times lol)

The [DCInside] Gallery's familial atmosphere is so nice and warm. Just like "When My Love Blooms" haha... Is it because those who are aggravated aren't here? Haha

Your passionate support and comments give our actors and production crew the same effect as a bottle of Bacchus (Korean energy drink) when sleepiness hits them.

Sometimes I come here and lurk to receive strength and get some warm criticism. By all means, I wish this space becomes a warm, healing space like "When My Love Blooms". 

Now that I'm here, let me explain a few things that you guys are curious about.

1. In regards to the movie "Love Letter" release date

You guys are correct. The movie was released in Japan in 1995. Whereas in Korea, it was released in movie theatres in 1999, during Kim Daejung's presidency when the ban on Japanese culture was lifted. There's no way the crew didn't know that... If I could ask for your patience...

From the early to mid-90s, there were various cultural discourses around university campus like Baekgajaengmyeong (t/n: movement where scholars, cultural figures, etc. are free to present their theories or arguments through debates and discussions). Then there were also post-modernism theory, post-structuralism theory, Generation X theory, etc

The result of such cultural movements on our soil were university movie clubs and cinematheque (film society). Namely "Xiang Xi", "Culture School Seoul", and so on (t/n: small-scale video spaces that screen copy videos). The culture that was popular at the time was illegal reproduction of hit movies that were not legally released as soon as it came out.

And to go back to my main point, I wanted to show that [cultural nuance] in our drama. I think it would be nice to show some melo movie for the plot. That's why we used "Love Letter" in the name of dramatic admission. Thus, I ask for your tolerance.

Like in the movie "1987: When the Day Comes", Yoo Jae Ha's "Gloomy Letter" is used as the main music theme. The movie was set during the June Democratic Uprising, but in reality Yoo Jae Ha's first album did not come out until December that year.

I would be thankful if you could interpret these points in a similar fashion.

2. Han Jaehyun being Youngmin's father

Haha. Is that even a possibility? Here's a spoiler for you: absolutely not. It's a lot different from the theme of our drama.

3. Were there any radical protests in 1993?

Although the frequency and intensity of the protests were much less than in 1980s, there were sporadic fights and struggles up until the Korea's Labour Movement in 1996. I met and interviewed the person who served as University Student Council in 1994. Some say the demonstrations were a one-way glorification of the rights to protest. But I don't want to portray it that way. We will make sure to portray it realistically and humanely and it's in the production crew's mind.

4. When will the phone booth kissing scene come out?

You have been waiting for it, huh? That's the beauty of preview. The preview is the Assistant Director's masterpiece. It will come out this week. Coming soon!!!

5. How is the shooting progress?

We already have the script up to Ep. 14... The production team is currently shooting episode 11 to 13. Due to the establishment of the 52-hour workweek system, the chronic and deep-rooted evils that come from side scripts (t/n: script that is one-two pages long, not properly made prior to filming but made right before filming), overnight filming, on-site profanity caused by abuse of power, have all disappeared. I'm so grateful.

Please show us your continuous love for "When My Love Blooms". I shall leave now.

To confirm my identity, I'll upload a photo as a proof. It was a get-together in the winter before the spread of COVID-19. I haven't seen all four of them since the filming at the beach in Geoje Island. Haha. Shall we meet again at the after-show party?

tSzYu1s.jpg

----

Ep 5. TEXT PREVIEW

"There are people whom you eventually meet again, no matter what."

Jisoo and Jaehyun, who left the party, will experience a whirlwind of emotions at the beach. These two do not make any promises but keep meeting each other again. Jaehyun finds out he is being followed... Meanwhile in 1994, Jaehyun and Jisoo completed their dream-like trip to the sea. Jisoo says she won't be going back home. Jaehyun holds Jisoo's hand and kneels before her father. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

JANG HYE JIN – YOUR SEASON (너라는 계절은) WHEN MY LOVE BLOOMS OST PART 1

Spring is blossoming in our hearts
My fluttering heart waits for you
Scattering in our eyes

Spoiler

The ticklish whispers of summer emotions
The longing welled up in my forehead
All of this is a new experience from you

Our hearts are colored with autumn
Your smile resembles the cool breeze
And your facial expressions I’ve never seen

I’ve never lived in a season like yours, it’s all unfamiliar
I’ve never seen such beauty
I thought I’d never feel this fluttering feeling again

Worries that we’ll grow apart during winter
Heart-aching nights from the longing
My sighs that hang on the sky

Our hearts are colored with autumn
Your smile resembles the cool breeze
And your facial expressions I’ve never seen

The sky is the most beautiful color during my season with you
A beauty that I’ll never see again
I love you, I love you, it’s our season now

YOUNGJAE (GOT7) & CHOI JUNG YOON – FALLING FOR YOU (빠져드나봐) WHEN MY LOVE BLOOMS OST PART 2

Thinking of you again today
About that night I was with you
My feelings are slowly growing
My footsteps toward you
Feel like they’re walking on a cloud in the sky

Spoiler

When did this start?
Whenever I’m next to you
I laugh for no reason

Oh baby
I like everything about you
I wanna stay with you tonight
Tonight, it’s you and me, will you stay?
You know you’re my everything
I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
I’m falling for you

I start spacing out and then I think of you
I keep thinking of you right until I fall asleep
Then suddenly, the sun rises

When did this start?
Whenever I’m next to you
You seem like a dream to me

Oh baby
I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you

Think I wanna stay
with you everyday
It’s like a dream
All of this
It feels familiar
I’ll always be by your side

I’m falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
Falling Falling for you
I’m falling for you

Big thanks to POPGASA

• Like 4

If anybody is interested, Viki will be hosting a “watch party” of episode 1 for this show on Friday night at 8pm Pacific Standard Time. It’s something new that they’re doing where individuals who RSVP can watch the episode live together on their laptop or desktop. The chat box will be live as well to discuss the episode.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Flaneur2 said:

What we lack is the luxury of understanding Korean language so we have to depend on subs. We are at the mercy of the subbers. Subs sometimes could be wrong though, so reading the body language might help. She was smiling lovingly at him when saying those words. 

I watched 2 different Chinese subs, one translated her as “Such brief answer. Like father like son.” Another translated “Such brief answer. (Are you) afraid people will think you’re not your father’s son?

What is implied by her is that the father-son are so alike in their short responses (men of few words) that there is no way people not know they’re father and son. It is actually to confirm the father-son relationship instead of to cast doubt on it. 

• Like 9
  • Insightful 3

Lists of Most Buzz Worthy Dramas & Actors [5th Week of April, 2020]

Good Data Corporation has shared its weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week! The company analyzed news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media from April 27 to May 3 for dramas that are currently airing or are set to air, and they revealed the results on May 5.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz for the 5th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - 30.74% (0)

2. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - 26.16% 0)

3. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - 8.86% (0)

4. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - 5.89% (0)

5. MBC “365: One Year Against Destiny” - 4.4% (1)

6. SBS “Good Casting“ - 4.0% (NEW)

7. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - 3.46% (+1)

8. tvN “Memorist“ - 2.27% (+3)

9. KBS2 “Once Again“ - 2.13% (+3)

10. tvN  “Piece of Your Mind” - 1.98% (-1)

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz for the 5th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Kim Hee-ae (0)

2. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Park Hae-joon (0)

3. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Lee Min-ho (0)

4. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Kim Go-eun (+1)

5. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Han So-hee (-1)

6. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - Lee Bo-young (+5)

7. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - Moon Ga-young (+1)

8. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - Yoo Ji-tae (+4)

9. SBS “Good Casting“ - Choi Kang-hee (NEW)

10. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - Jo Jung-suk (-1)

Source: https://instagram.com/gooddata_official

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When the leads are beautiful :wub::wub:

Ageless beauty.

I'm actually shock. I can't believe her real age.

Jeon So Nee and Lee Bo Young   as the the younger and adult version of Jisoo. Prett in white.

*all twt post credit to owners as tag*

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Started to watch the drama,  it gives the 'when the weather is fine' vibe - same tv network too but i hope this is faster in pace that 'weather'... always like a 2nd chance drama... so i hope it would be a good drama... 

• Like 3
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화