[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

@jongski, I watched Love Rain but the thing that I found amusing is that I very much preferred the parents romance to their children’s romance. The actors who played their children also played the younger version of the parents in their past romance.  

Regarding HJH, I actually believe he is up to something. Maybe in his youth he had an idealized version of the world and realized his thinking and approach were ineffective. His meetings with various people seem to imply he’s planning something that could have been in the works for years.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/26/2020 at 10:48 PM, Dhakra said:

I liked the first episode, but it seems there is a lot of house cleaning to do. I'm glad they already met at the end of the first episode. Now it is just the question how their story continues. She is divorced, raising her son alone. He is just out if jail, also father and married. His wife is probably cheating on him though. So a lot of dirty stuff will heading their way. 

Don't know where they are heading next, but curious to find out in the second episode.

Yes there is quite a lot of things that need to be sorted out and I think the drama will be about them helping each other out of the mess they are in currently and realising their true self. The thing that concerns me most is how are they going to deal with each other's kids- I mean its easy to stand against an awful spouse but your kid is your kid no matter how good or bad especially when they are so young. I hope this is handled thoughtfully.

On 4/26/2020 at 11:37 PM, thistle said:

I loved the beginning of this drama but, like you, I am already dreading the ending so I looked on MyDramaList to see who the writer is:  Jun Hee Young.  But the only writing credit listed was for When My Love Blooms.  So is this a newbie writer?  If so, there's no way to predict what will happen.

I dread the ending too- they love each other so much even after so many years have passed and after having gone through so much in life so if any of them ends up sacrificing for the other or some other tragedy happens- I don't know if I'll be able to bear it. I hope the happiness they will bring in each other's life will last forever!!

On 4/27/2020 at 5:29 AM, Nymeria289 said:

Okay, Yoo Ji Tae doing pull up.......that was gratuitous and I thank drama gods far and wide for it.

IKR!!! He is soooo hot with his top few bottons undone!! Such an eye candy. We need more such scenes!!!!

One after the other.  I've been been watching  top notch dramas  From Nobody Knows  to  The World of the Married  and now this drama When My Love Blooms. The  high quality of these drama, the fantastic acting from mature actors Kim Seo Hyung, to Kim Hee Ae and now to Lee Bo Young and  then to younger cast of each drama. Mature dramas are thriving and viewers are appreciating them. During these quarantine lockdown, when we're all just staying at home many get the chance to watch excellent dramas. The female leads though,  we have to laud the and appreciate them.

------------

When she cried and her father wipes her tears using handkerchief.

cr:rashi

EWycHHVVcAAaP88.jpg

When her son cried writing a letter  to his mom.

cr:jcwook

EWt-O7jXgAAO4H_.jpg

Aww Young Min :(

cr:

I was trying to wait for a few more subbed episodes to come out before I watched but just couldn’t help myself. This is the kind of storyline that I love, young lovers separated and then reunited years later - cue romance and angst (my favourite cup of tea haha)! Plus we have the talented LBY and YJT and they have great chemistry so far.

After watching the first two episodes, I can say that I’m hooked. There’s some really sweet and funny moments mixed in with the sad parts and there's so much back story to explore.

I love seeing JH melt when it comes to JS and am excited to watch JS open up to JH again. I wonder what has happened in the last 20 years to make JS so different to her carefree younger self. Which can I also say, I absolutely love how persistent young JS was in pursuing JH. She is absolutely adorable and knows exactly what she wants, love her! I can’t wait to see JS find her happiness again because she’s clearly been through a lot. I’m guessing the reason she ended up in prison was to do with the reason she left JH when they were younger too and I’m guessing it relates to the protesting young JH was involved in. It was really sad watching her with her dad too, reminds me of my dad and my heart broke for her.

I also wonder what’s happened in JH’s life to bring him to where he is today. Looks like he is up to something too, perhaps involving bringing down his father in laws company? He was very passionate when he was younger and I can see him still trying to help people who have been wronged. I’m curious to know more about what has happened in the last 20 years for him too.

The storyline line involving JS’s son being bullied is so sad and really makes me angry. The apple obviously doesn’t fall far from the tree seeing as JH’s wife isn’t exactly the nicest person either. Is the wife cheating on JH as well? I recall in the photos JH’s Secretary gave him, she is in a car with a younger man unless he is a security guard or assistant or something? Typical spoilt heiress.. hopefully she gets put in her place soon but I think she’s going to be a nightmare before any redeeming qualities appear..

And I wonder what the backstory is in regards to JS and her husband too. So he is a lawyer and from a wealthy family based off the conversation they had after JS won the custody battle and was her lawyer when she was in jail. I wonder what he did to make her file for divorce. He definitely seems genuine in his feelings for her and seems like he would get back together if JS chose to. I just hope he doesn’t become an annoying ex partner who tries to use their son against her.

I’m absolutely loving watching both the younger and adult love stories progress too. I find with other dramas, generally one is less captivating than the other but in this case, both are equally captivating and fun to watch and the chemistry is wonderful.

I’m really looking forward to the next episode, particularly seeing JS open up to JH again, and for them to hopefully get their happily ever after together. Can’t wait for the angst and romance! :wub:

From the information from the official site, I realized that JS mother was dead. I didn’t understand about her sister. And JS disappeared 26 years ago when her father was removed from the post of prosecutor, as I understood.

Maybe someone will help translate?

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnblossom/6/Contents/Html?h_seq=2

Fnd after talking in prison, i think maybe JS did something to the person whose fault something happened to her mother or sister?

8 hours ago, plappi said:

From the information from the official site, I realized that JS mother was dead. I didn’t understand about her sister. And JS disappeared 26 years ago when her father was removed from the post of prosecutor, as I understood.

Maybe someone will help translate?

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnblossom/6/Contents/Html?h_seq=2

Fnd after talking in prison, i think maybe JS did something to the person whose fault something happened to her mother or sister?

Thank you for your link, I will try to use google translate to understand more characters of this drama. 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1397743wpp/yoo-ji-tae-and-lee-bo-young-encounter-similar-dilemmas-from-the-past-in-when-my-love-blooms

Yoo Ji Tae And Lee Bo Young Encounter Similar Dilemmas From The Past In “When My Love Blooms”

Apr 30, 2020
by S. Nam

53-E47774-D5-D7-4-CE6-B636-8-EE46439-F0-

tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” shared new stills of the characters’ past and present!

“When My Love Blooms” tells the story of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who were each other’s first love, as they meet again later on in life. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young play the two characters in the present day, while GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee play their past counterparts.

Spoiler

Previously, Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo reunited after coming to the school as parents of the victim and perpetrator of school violence. Although they fondly reminisced about their beautiful memories of their first love, the two distanced themselves as they became aware of their unfortunate reality.

The newly released stills reveal a tense confrontation between Han Jae Hyun (Yoo Ji Tae) and Yoon Ji Soo (Lee Bo Young). Yoon Ji Soo has been unfairly dismissed from her temporary position at the supermarket, so she participates in a sit-down strike in front of Han Jae Hyun’s company. The police soon arrive to dissolve the protests. However, Yoon Ji Soo looks thoroughly hurt while Han Jae Hyun is frozen, unable to do anything but stare with a crushed heart.

Furthermore, another set of stills reveal a similar situation from the past. Amidst a tense and frightening atmosphere, Yoon Ji Soo (Jeon So Nee) is roughly handled by the police, and Han Jae Hyun (Jinyoung) looks shocked, making viewers curious to see if Han Jae Hyun will come to Yoon Ji Soo’s rescue.

“When My Love Blooms” airs on weekends at 9 p.m. KST.

Catch the latest episode of “When My Love Blooms” below:

WATCH NOW

Source (1)

———

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 04. 30. 8:07 PM

Youngjae (GOT7) features in OST for Jinyoung's new drama

4-C26-D07-B-31-E5-4-C52-9-E58-2-D92-DC66

Youngjae (GOT7) will show solid support to fellow member Park Jinyoung - who is displaying his passionate acting in the Sat-Sun drama ''When My Love Booms'' (tvN).

The representative of "When My Love Blooms" said, "The second OST 'Falling In Love' by Youngjae and Choi Jung Yoon will be released at 6 pm (KST) May 3."

Park Jinyoung is a member of GOT7 and is working actively as an actor. In the recent broadcast drama "When My Love Blooms", he took on the role of the young Han Jae Hyun, thereby receiving many compliments from the audience when reminding everyone of the fluttering first love with the image of a student of the 1990s.

Meanwhile, Youngjae showed the close affection by featuring in the OST of ''When My Love Blooms'' to support fellow member Park Jinyoung. Youngjae and rookie singer-songwriter under Magic Strawberry Sound, Choi Jung Yoon, promise to bring a sweet song containing the youthful emotions of the past Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo (played by Jeon So Nee) in ''When My Love Blooms''.

The duet ''Falling In Love'' by Youngjae and Choi Jung Yoon appeared in the scenes where Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo met in the past in the first two episodes aired last week.

"Falling In Love" is a medium tempo track that contains a bright atmosphere expressing the feelings of the two main characters when they fall in love with each other after their first meeting. The acoustic guitar and rhythmic EP sounds contribute to the increasing sweet and warm emotions of the song.

In addition, the song is also perfected thanks to the contribution of musician Jayins - who composed the OST ''Moonlight'' performed by Ha Hyun Sang of ''Be Melodramatic'' - and Han Jae Wan - who arranged the ballad and the actor versions of "Your Shampoo Scent In The Flowers" performed by Chun Woo Hee and Ahn Jae Hong.

The clear, delicate vocal of Youngjae and Choi Jung Yoon created a lovely song that sent a fluttering emotion to the significant ones.

"When My Love Blooms" is receiving good reviews with the story of the innocent youth of college students in the 1990s, so the duet "Falling In Love" by Youngjae and Choi Jung Yoon is expected to gain positive responses.

''Falling In Love'' will be released on digital music sites at 6 pm (KST) on May 3.

Reporter Park Jung Sun  park.jungsun@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

While I like the acting of the 2 leads, YJT and LBY but I'm quite annoyed by how the drama keeps switching between the old days and the present time with similar scenes.  I think I will be struggling to keep watching it.   Am I the only one feeling that way? 

@ccbabe Maybe there are some that's feeling the same thing. So you're not alone.  But for me I'm not annoyed cos I thought it's done well.

For flashback in most kdramas we see them in the beginning part sometimes last about  4-5 episodes and they're usually  either child or high school counterpart of the leads.

The flashback is the style of this drama. There are  four main leads and they're prominent in the drama poster. This story is about reuniting  after decades. In this case, the flashback started when they're already  young adults. In their 20''s in college. Which is refreshing ( for me anyway). We can see the start of their romance, how they met, fell in love, how Jisu became active joining the protests and rallies, we'll see how and what broke them apart. and exactly what happened  in a decade.

cr:

14 minutes ago, jongski said:

@ccbabe Maybe there are some that's feeling the same thing. So you're not alone.  But for me I'm not annoyed cos I thought it's done well.

For flashback in most kdramas we see them in the beginning part sometimes last about  4-5 episodes and they're usually  either child or high school counterpart of the leads.

The flashback is the style of this drama. There are  four main leads and they're prominent in the drama poster. This story is about reuniting  after decades. In this case, the flashback started when they're already  young adults. In their 20''s in college. Which is refreshing ( for me anyway). We can see the start of their romance, how they met, fell in love, how Jisu became active joining the protests and rallies, we'll see how and what broke them apart. and exactly what happened  in a decade.

3 hours ago, ccbabe said:

While I like the acting of the 2 leads, YJT and LBY but I'm quite annoyed by how the drama keeps switching between the old days and the present time with similar scenes.  I think I will be struggling to keep watching it.   Am I the only one feeling that way? 

I think the similarity between scenes is only going to remain for a few episodes. It is only to establish the similarity between the younger and older couples and to show that despite how the circumstances have changed drastically they are still the same people intrinsically (or atleast that's what I think). Once the plot starts progressing I think the similarity is gradually going to fade away as the story in the present is bound to different from the past given the varied circumstances.

Honestly it doesn't annoy me either- only serves as a reminder that the young college couple is the same two people we see in present and makes me wonder again what happened to them.

For some reason I thought this drama aired on Fridays so imagine my disappointment when I logged onto Viki tonight super excited for the next episode and realised I was early :tears: 

Can’t wait for tomorrow. I’ll be watching unsubbed first because I just can’t help myself :D

@ccbabe I’m not too phased by the similarities. For me, it’s a nice way of showing them reminisce about their younger days together. I’m really enjoying watching both the younger and older relationship progression too and think this drama is doing a good job of showing how they grew to love each other previously and how much they remember each other now. Some dramas tend to overdo the flashbacks and make the flashbacks quiet repetitive but I think these ones add to the angst and romance of the story.

I prefer this drama’s style of interweaving the past and present. There have been countless times when I watch a drama and the past story lasts at least 3 - 5 episodes long and it made me very impatient to see the adult actors. Some examples are 12 Years Reunion with Namgoong Min and Angel Eyes with Lee Sang Yoon. Thankfully we see LBY and YJT from the first episode.

photo1177242.jpg

I'm just starting to watch episode 1 and the first thing I noticed was the piano piece Lee Bo Young was playing in the hotel scene.  The first time I heard this song was a French version sang by Roch Voisine, a French/Canadian singer.  I bought a mix artist cd when I was in Montreal.  I used to listen to this song over and over.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IESDfhxsfjI

Excited to watch this drama.

6 hours ago, allforyoo said:

ahhhh my heart :tears: i'm loving the 2 of them even more now ^_^

Same here...how come I was tearing up?:sweatingbullets:  And then that last bit when he smiled - it was like he's so happy that she did not refuse to take the umbrella. He was relieved he could do at least something for her.  This is the magic for me of Jae Hyun and Ji Soo's love story that is beautifully delivered by our leads. No skinship or close proximity needed , but yet in their eyes you can see how they still think of the other,. The longing , the yearning. Such fantastic chemistry

------------------------------------

True for JH , it might be wrong for him to be thinking of JS while still married...but this is the reason we have this story. We cannot help the way we feel, but what's more important is what will be done with those feelings.  For me there are clearly a lot of issues in Jae Hyun's marriage, something he will have to sort out before he and JS can ( I hope)  reunite. So far what we have been shown is that the marriage has given him money and power ( but it seems rather conditional given that he has to "toe the line" with the father in law)  He is no longer the justice fighting idealist from 20 years ago. Did he really lose his moral compass along the way? Or is this him being practical and realistic? Or does he have a longer term plan to help those who can't help themselves?

That's why it's important to have the two sets for the OTP...from seeing the progression in their love story from the past we will see how JH and JS both changed, and  why they did. And the present time is not static either...if he has indeed compromised his ethics and values along the way, then this fateful encounter with Ji Soo is surely  the starting point for him to reevaluate his priorities and decisions in life.

----------------------------------

And oh my...I just had to gif this hot ahjussi with his unbuttoned white shirt.. :mrgreen: @ktcjdrama @Lawyerhme trying to sell this drama to @Ameera Ali 

Spoiler

2CULGKd.gif

Stills for tonight

Because something happened in the span of  [two] decades. Flashback will tell us what drove them apart.

College Jaehyun was studying law. He was student activist. Championing the cause of the workers.  But something happened.  And the present Jaehyun is married to the chaebol daughter of the chairman of conglomerate.

cr: tvn/twt

EW3N7ipUcAApZ__.jpg

College Jisu having a crush  onJaehyun followed him, watch his speech -Jaehyn the one who fought for the laborers. She even joined him in protest . College Jaehyun tried to resist cutely being sarcastic to Jisu's pestering. But of course  he actually like her. We all know that.

cr:lovtoiki

EW0Py97WkAA_imc.jpg

The present  Jisu still joins the protetst even outside the conglomerate's building. Jaehyun is now the son in law and has power.  But something happened. And she was even jailed for something she didn't deny to do.  Present Jaehyun still in love with her. But will there be a conflict?

cr:tvn

EW5HoYTUcAEh8A2.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1397001wpp/4-things-we-loved-1-thing-we-hated-about-the-premiere-of-when-my-love-blooms

4 Things We Loved & 1 Thing We Hated About The Premiere Of “When My Love Blooms”

May 2, 2020
by kaityv

The ever-alluring “When My Love Blooms” has finally premiered on our televisions screens and it did not disappoint! While the drama’s premise relies on the ever-cliche trope of reuniting first love, it’s still refreshing and enchanting to watch.

The drama follows the love story of Han Jae Hyun (Yoo Ji Tae) and Yoon Ji Soo (Lee Bo Young), who begin as college sweethearts but drift apart due to unknown reasons. They reunite in the present but both of them are wildly different from their younger selves (played by GOT7’s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee, respectively). Jae Hyun, who once had an immense passion to fight for injustices now works for the people committing those injustices. Meanwhile, Ji Soo, who was once a cheerful open-book, is now closed off and lives a more modest lifestyle.

The drama is off to a promising start, and it seems to promise mutual pining, straight-up melancholy, and the beautiful innocence of first love. Here are some of the things that we loved and hated about the premiere.

Warning: spoilers for the premiere episodes below.

LOVED: The cinematic parallels

One of the most enjoyable things to watch in dramas is when the characters reenact a moment they had when they were younger.  It’s bittersweet and a little bit corny but it makes your heart flutter nonetheless. “When My Love Blooms” is very detailed at the end of the first episode when Jae Hyun reveals himself outside of the train station in the snow. As Ji Soo turns and recognizes him, her hair flutters in the wind the same way as it did when she was younger. While that detail is hardly realistic, it’s beautiful to watch as the scene flickers from the past to the present. You can feel every emotion, especially as Jae Hyun recites the same words he did when he was younger: “I found you, Yoon Ji Soo.”

You can really feel the chemistry between each pair of actors in this scene. They’re brimming with tension for different reasons and it makes you wonder how these two lost track of each other for two decades. Plus, the cinematography is absolutely dazzling. The snow and cherry blossoms really help to set a romantic mood.

LOVED: How Yoon Ji Soo sticks up for herself

While all the characters tend to have moments that attach them to your heart, Yoon Ji Soo definitely stands out above everyone else. She’s more reserved than her younger-self, but you can tell that her convictions are still the same. It’s gratifying to see that even though she’s struggled with divorce, single-parenting, and her father’s illness, she doesn’t let anyone look down on her life.

She proves this when she holds her ground against a wealthy mother from her son’s school. After her son starts a fight, the group of moms is quick to make a move to remove her as the parent representative. The mom who confronts her wastes no time to try and drag her down not only because of her son, but because she’s protesting at the supermarket.

It’s gut-wrenching to always have to watch wealthy characters rip into the poorer protagonist for shallow reasons without any repercussions. Especially when there’s nothing wrong with having a more modest lifestyle. So it was awesome and empowering to see Ji Soo owning her situation rather than just sitting there and taking it quietly.

LOVED: The trope reversals

Stories about reunited first loves often follow a few tropes where some of which are more enjoyable than the rest. Usually, we see a brooding, emotionally unavailable, and stoic lead that pursues the leading lady in questionable ways. “When My Love Blooms” approaches these tropes a little differently and it makes the drama much more enjoyable to watch.

When the pair reunites, Ji Soo keeps her feelings a well-guarded secret. She feigns indifference when Jae Hyun keeps bringing up their past. It’s refreshing that this time, the woman gets to be the one with the secrets. It seems Jae Hyun will have to thaw Ji Soo’s heart that has hardened over time, instead of the other way around.

After parting ways with Ji Soo, Jae Hyun’s curiosity about her life leads to unfavorable behavior.

He asks his driver, Kang Joon Woo (Kang Young Seok), to look into her life. After discovering that she’s divorced, Jae Hyun follows Ji Soo around with Joon Woo. They stakeout the convenience store she frequents to discover where she lives and he buys her expensive gloves since she isn’t wearing any. While none of it is done with ill intent since it’s clear Jae Hyun is worried about her, he’s overstepping the boundaries Ji Soo set in their earlier encounter. Fortunately, he stops his pursuit and calls himself out once he discovers she’s protesting against his company.

While it still isn’t cool that he takes part in such behavior without Ji Soo’s consent, it’s nice that he calls himself out and stops the behavior before taking it too far. This kind of commentary isn’t commonly found in dramas, so this scene is a very pleasant surprise.

LOVED: How Han Jae Hyun recognizes Yoon Ji Soo

While not everyone looks for realism in dramas, it can be a common complaint when characters reunite after years and recognize each other’s faces immediately. It’s definitely a romantic notion, but “When My Love Blooms” takes the opposite approach and instead has Jae Hyun recognize Ji Soo from her habits instead. He first catches a glimpse of her playing piano and the music is enough to bring him to tears in front of his colleague. While he doesn’t get the chance to make any confirmations, fate reunites them again at their children’s school. He is caught off guard by her voice, and he ultimately recognizes her from her habit of stretching her fingers.

These tiny details really clue in on how much Jae Hyun remembers and cares for Ji Soo. It’s clear the time they spent together really made an impression on his heart, which makes you want to root for their romance even more. Couple this with the fact that Ji Soo’s been carrying around the handkerchief he gave her in college all this time and your heart is sure to swoon.

HATED: How Jae Hyun’s life turned out

One of the best scenes is when you see Jae Hyun’s fiery re-entrance into Ji Soo’s life as she finds him speaking at a school movement. GOT7’s Jinyoung easily portrays Jae Hyun’s conviction and passion for injustice to be corrected. As a viewer, you can’t help but be enthralled and downright inspired by Jae Hyun, much like Ji Soo is.

However, in the present, Jae Hyun has completely changed his tune. He works for a company that has mistreated its workers and he is working to help get rid of the protestors.

It’s disheartening to see how he has changed so drastically. The drama does hint that he seems to have some sort of plot going against his in-laws who run the company, but so far, it hasn’t been expanded on. So it’s hard to truly tell where he stands.

However, it does add quite a bit of intrigue to his character. What exactly happened in the past decades that made him change his personal values? Does he have a bigger scheme at play? Hopefully, as the drama continues we will come to find that his passion for human rights is still kicking.

Catch the first episode of “When My Love Blooms”:

WATCH NOW

Archived