[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

@triplem, thanks for the recap. I’m actually getting nervous that something big is going to happen soon to send both JS and JH into further troubles. Things just seem to be escalating bit by bit especially after watching the preview with Youngmin and then the FIL. 

That trauma that JS experienced explains a lot. Her father probably held this against her too because it was her birthday and her mom and sister went to the store to buy her cake. What a great dad! <_< He likely used that trauma to blackmail JS all her life and make her submissive by exploiting the guilt and sadness she felt with the loss of her mom. She chose his way and still ended up in darkness. I hope by the end of the drama she’ll choose her own path and let go of that sad past. 

@enchantedyears, I just saw your recap. Thank you as well.

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this drama.  I really do.  But even the quasi-happy moments have so much sadness. Or the main characters are happy for a second and then WHAM !  something really bad happens.  It's depressing.  From what I deduce, next episode isn't getting any better.  Even if it's the cheesiest of K-Drama trope, I'm hoping to see punishments for those who deserve it (FIL, all the PTA moms, ex-husband, and even wife) and happily-ever-after for JS/JH/YM.

OSEN | 2020. 05. 23.

"When My Love Blooms": Jeon So Nee unexpectedly faces tragedy while visiting lover in military

8339F934-8298-4B36-BB55-8F4102937F31.jpg

Park Jinyoung (GOT7) and Jeon So Nee will face an unexpected tragedy while enjoying a happy time together.

In episode 9 airing on the evening of May 23, the Sat-Sun drama "When My Love Blooms" (tvN, scriptwriter: Jeon Hee Young, director: Son Jung Hyun), Jeon So Nee (as young Ji Soo) will come to visit Park Jinyoung (as young Jae Hyun) and spend a short yet happy time in the army.

Earlier, Yoon Ji Soo (played by Jeon So Nee) defied the objection of her father, Yoon Hyung Goo (played by Jang Gwang), and continued cultivating her love for Han Jae Hyun (played by Park Jinyoung). The image of Han Jae Hyun being forced to enlist by Yoon Hyung Goo and Yoon Ji Soo conveying love through a letter and wholeheartedly waiting for him made the audience feel heartbroken.

It can be seen that the two protagonists' pure love in the past has been in full swing, making viewers feel fluttered and excited. The photos announced by the film crew today (May 23) are garnering viewers' attention with the image of their date when Yoon Ji Soo visits Han Jae Hyun in the military. In the photos, the two are gazing at each other with eyes filled with love and having a happy time like any other young couple, giving viewers a satisfying smile.

However, after short affectionate moments, the image of Yoon Ji Soo immediately changing her expression after receiving a phone call and Han Jae Hyun showing a surprised expression has created a tense and thrilling atmosphere. The audience is channeling attention to the challenge that the two will go through when feeling a sense of crisis and fear on Yoon Ji Soo's blank face. Notably, this is Yoon Ji Soo's birthday, so viewers are more curious about what tragedy will happen to the couple that had a happy and pleasant day like a dream.

"When  My Love Blooms" is a drama depicting first love memories of Han Jae Hyun (played by Yoo Ji Tae) and Yoon Ji Soo (played by Lee Bo Young) in the past and lingering emotions of the two when reuniting after a long period of separation.

"When My Love Blooms" will be aired at 9 pm (KST) today (May 23).

OSEN = Reporter Seon Mi Kyung /seon@osen.co.kr
Photo = Provided by tvN
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

On 5/19/2020 at 10:29 AM, Sianna said:

Ps:  Do we all find Yoon Ji-Tae incredibly charming in this drama?   He always dresses and moves elegantly.  In the scene where Jae-Hyun stood up and walked away after he had a face-to-face talk with Ji-Soo's ex...  We only have a fleeting glimpse of his moves in that scene but with that simple move Yoon Ji-Tae captured how confident, determined, forceful yet elegantly Jae-Hyun handled the situation when it come to protecting his love.  Lovely!   

I do agree with you in P/S note. But not only Yoon Ji-Tae but also Lee Boo Young is very charming though in this drama, she is only poor woman at middle age. But her clothes are very remarkable and she looks very elegant, I really admire her coats and her looking.

I have just finished the ep. 9 and cannot stop crying when watching the close hug in the end of the train when the train is going out of the dark tube. I must keep control my mind so I will give my comment later. It's very painful in my heart.

From today ep.10

SOOMPI

Yoo Ji Tae And Lee Bo Young Express Their Love Amidst Painful Moments In “When My Love Blooms”

May 24, 2020
by S. P

tvN’s weekend drama “When My Love Blooms” has revealed new stills of Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young for the upcoming episode!

The drama tells the story of Han Jae Hyun and Yoon Ji Soo, who were each other’s first love in college and then fatefully meet again later in life. Yoo Ji Tae and Lee Bo Young play the characters in the present while GOT7‘s Jinyoung and Jeon So Nee play the characters during their college years.

Spoilers

Spoiler

In the previous episode, Yoon Ji Soo’s hidden past came to light as it was revealed that her mother and sister died in an unfortunate accident. Although many years have passed, Yoon Ji Soo is still caught up in the pain and sorrow of losing her family members. Han Jae Hyun stays by her side as if he understands everything she has gone through.

The stills for the new episode show Han Jae Hyun standing next to Yoon Ji Soo’s son Young Min (Ko Woo Rim), who has a bruise around his eye. Han Jae Hyun looks worriedly at Yoon Ji Soo as she kneels to comfort her father Yoon Hyung Goo (Jang Gwang). Young Min also looks at his mother with an upset expression, although Han Jae Hyun attempts to comfort him by placing a hand on his shoulder. The stills hint at just how heavily tragedy struck Yoon Ji Soo’s family after one single accident.

Yoo-Ji-Tae-Lee-Bo-Young-1.jpg

The next episode of “When My Love Blooms” airs on May 24 at 9 p.m. KST.

Lucky Ji Soo for havin' a super wealthy bf ha-ha! He bought so many new stuff for her apartment. And she lost her sis, mom in a departmental store collapse. I can't remember which other k-drama also had its lead character lose their family in a similar incident? Now Seo Kyung wants to fight for Jae Hyun aigoo~ I somehow sympathise more for Song Hye Kyo's ex hubby (no I don't mean Song Joong Ki LoL) in her drama Encounter

When Ji Soo boldly asked Jae Hyun if he wanted to have ramen, I was like oooh la la! But then turned out she meant it literally LMFAo. Get my mind out of the gutter.

FYI, Ep. 9 is referencing this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampoong_Department_Store_collapse

An entire department store collapsed due to defective construction on June 29, 1995. (They also referenced this disaster in Chocolate.)

Okay, so Ji-Soo's sister and mother died in this disaster, and I guess Ji-Soo blames herself because they went to buy her a birthday cake there? And she was away visiting Jae-Hyeon at his army base.

:tears:

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

Okay, so Ji-Soo's sister and mother died in this disaster, and I guess Ji-Soo blames herself because they went to buy her a birthday cake there? And she was away visiting Jae-Hyeon at his army base.

It is incredibly devastating to have a parent die on your birthday and to be blamed for it.  JS's dad would make her life a living hell because of this, and he had already made it more than clear that her sister was loved but that she wasn't.   To feel deep guilt on top of that terrible loss and also the rejection by her dad adds exponentially to the pain.  It's easy to see why she would have severe PTSD and also why she could have been manipulated into marrying a controlling man.  

There is a lot here that I can relate to on a personal experience level.  It's painful stuff to watch but the story makes a lot of sense to me; the way that LBY is playing her role reaches right into my heart.  There's so much here that feels real.

Ep. 10 Recap

We start off with the train scene.

- 1995 -
JS runs to the hospital, she's drenched in the rain. Instead of the morgue, she heads to the emergency room. But all she sees are bodies covered by a layer of fabric, all motionless. She sees her dad sitting on the floor, staring at two bodies: JS' mom and sister. JS starts crying  once she sees the smashed strawberry cake and what seems to be her sister's watch on one of the dead bodies' wrist.

Jaehyun is punished in a cell and he's crying.

JS dreams about the time she's about to leave the house to visit JH in the military. This time, she turns around to see her mom and sister eating in the dining room having a good time together. She calls out their names from outside the window. But no matter how many times she shouts, they wouldn't look at her and continue to ignore her. She cries.

(continued under the spoiler tag)

Spoiler

- 2020 -
In a calmer state, JS shares her story to JH about what happened to her mom and sister and just how much she misses them. JH comforts JS and wipes away her tears.

JS' dad somehow gets to the emergency medical center from his nursing home in a state of panic. He starts asking where his wife and daughter are to people passing by while showing the family photo but they only shrug him off.

Junseo's friends let him know about the rumor so Junseo goes to see YM in anger. A fight breaks out between Junseo and YM. While punching YM, Junseo blames YM saying it's his mother's fault. YM who doesn't understand anything at the time fights back.

JS and JH reach the school around the same time despite walking separately and pretending they don't know each other. But school principal notices that they arrive together.

School principal walks JH to his office. Junseo is already there, waiting for them with bruised face not wanting to say what exactly happened.

JS runs to the sick bay where YM is, he doesn't want to talk to her either.

We go back to the principal's office where JS, JH, schoolteacher and the principal have a talk about the fight. So they call Junseo's two friends and ask both of them who started the fight. One of the boys mentions Junseo's name but then changes it to Youngmin's. JH knows it's definitely Junseo who started it. The other boy uncomfortably spills why the fight happened: because YM's mom and JS' dad have a relationship.

- 1995 - 
After the funeral, JS starts living with her dad.

On one rainy day, JS dad runs outside the house in anger to look for JS' mom and sister. She begs him to stop because they're no longer alive but he slaps her instead. Seems like this is the first time it happens.

On a different day, YW goes to JS' house. They go to the park and talk there. YW asks why JS doesn't go to university anymore. She explains she's decided to quit, her dad's not living his life anymore, it's as if he wants to die. She plans to move away because she can't stay at home when all she sees are memories of her mom and sister. YW wants to know what she's going to do about JH.

That night JS writes a farewell letter to JH. She then places it on her house's letter box.

JH drops by at JS' house on his day off, wishing to see her but all he gets is JS' farewell letter. He goes off to meet DJ, YW and Hwajin but none of them know where JS is. None of them are close to Hyejeong either. YW looks hesitant when answering JH's questions, though.

- 2020 -
JS who finally finds out why YM wouldn't see her face goes to the school's sick bay again. Suprisingly, she tells YM the truth that JH was her first love despite knowing there's a possibility that YM will get mad at her. YM quietly takes in what his mom has to say. JS apologizes to YM and he doesn't look so angry anymore.

JH adresses the rumor to Junseo. Junseo listens quietly and then says "But you have mom..."

YM's school principal calls SK's dad. The principal looks afraid and seems to obey Jang San.

On the way back home, JH receives a call from JS' dad nursing home because JS is not picking up their calls. JH goes to see JS to let her know about the situation. He drives JS and YM to the emergency center where JS' dad sits outside. This time, JS' dad recognizes her and says he's thankful that they found JS' mom and sister's body but he misses them so much. YM becomes sad seeing JS and his grandfather in pain so JH pats YM's back in an effort to console him.

JH reaches home and sees Junseo sleeping next to SK.

While having their breakfast the next day, JS receives a call from YM's teacher. Seems like the school wants to have school violence hearing. YM says there's something he wants to do.

The same morning, SK also gets a call from school about the school violence hearing, she insists they get to the bottom of it. Junseo is concerned about what's going to happen because this time he was also involved in the fight, but SK is confident about it.

JS and YM make a trip to YM's school. YM tells the whole situation to his school principal, how the school did nothing while he endured school violence and expresses his decision to drop out of the school. Once they're outside the school building, YM breaks down in tears. JS hugs him. On the train to Seoul, YM asks JS if she can stop seeing JH if he tells her he doesn't like it. JS doesn't say anything. YM doesn't hate her, though. He understands his mom.

JH finds out YM's decision to drop out from SK.

SK talks to JH's mom, trying to get JH's mom to side with her.

At JS' piano teaching job, a little girl waits outside the music academy. Turns out she can play the piano very well but she never takes lessons and doesn't have piano at home because her family can't afford it. JS sends her home and says she'll take her in as a student if she comes to the academy at night (after official hours).

Near the little girl's house, JS sees an empty house that's available for rent. Not sure if she's planning to move there or it's the place she used to live in after disappearing.

JH gives another set of documents to the prosecutor, this time is about Kwon Hyuk Soo's death 5 years ago. He reveals a surprising truth about the man's death.

JS notices she's being followed so she visits SK's dad at his office. She demands him to stop having her followed.

At night, JS meets up with JH. She wants to know the truth about JH's prosecution. JH tells her everything about SK's dad's involvement in his father's death and he wants to avenge that.

END

4 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Lucky Ji Soo for havin' a super wealthy bf ha-ha! He bought so many new stuff for her apartment. And she lost her sis, mom in a departmental store collapse. I can't remember which other k-drama also had its lead character lose their family in a similar incident? Now Seo Kyung wants to fight for Jae Hyun aigoo~ I somehow sympathise more for Song Hye Kyo's ex hubby (no I don't mean Song Joong Ki LoL) in her drama Encounter

When Ji Soo boldly asked Jae Hyun if he wanted to have ramen, I was like oooh la la! But then turned out she meant it literally LMFAo. Get my mind out of the gutter.

Is it just me, but I really want Jae Hyun to stay rich after his battle with the chairman and be with Ji Soo. If he reunite with Ji Soo but becomes poor I may not be able to bear it. Ji Soo has been struggling financially, so I really hope that she can enjoys the chaebol money with her beloved Jae Hyun... it would be good for young min too...

9 minutes ago, Thirtysvn37 said:

Is it just me, but I really want Jae Hyun to stay rich after his battle with the chairman and be with Ji Soo. If he reunite with Ji Soo but becomes poor I may not be able to bear it. Ji Soo has been struggling financially, so I really hope that she can enjoys the chaebol money with her beloved Jae Hyun... it would be good for young min too...

As Ji Soo said, there is a price for everything. I would be content with JH walking away from that chaebol family with the clothes on his back or the clothes on his back and the money he earned. ^_^

@triplem, that’s huge news right there. So that corrupt old man did have something to do with JH’s dad’s death. I wonder how JH managed to suffer his presence over all things years. Wow. The patience of plotting someone’s comeuppance. I don’t think it will be easy to bring that corrupt man down though.

@enchantedyears, thank you for the recap.

26 minutes ago, enchantedyears said:

Ep. 10 Recap

:star: You are officially my hero!  Recapping is hard work. 

Thank you so much!  :heart:

22 minutes ago, Thirtysvn37 said:

Is it just me, but I really want Jae Hyun to stay rich after his battle with the chairman and be with Ji Soo.

I definitely want him to be with JS.....but I'm not sure about the riches.  Too much money tends to attract evil (both in drama and in real life).  I wouldn't want them to be either rich or poor.

@enchantedyears, as the Japanese say, thanks for the hard work.

I saw the RAW and it looks like the chairman is surprised in the end by the revelation of something to do with JH’s dad. What? He didn’t realize who JH’s dad was? Or maybe he has harmed so many people that he can’t keep track of his victims. 

JH looked pretty annoyed that chaebol wife went to his mom to intervene. Heh. I still have zero sympathy for her. She’s always involving other people in her cause. The kids only found out about the adults because of her tactics to cowardly employ anyone and everyone is her lame cause to keep JH by her side. May her goals be forever thwarted. Perhaps they can bring back her mom so that she can move pass her “trauma”.

@triplem, I was actually wondering the same too, if JH knew that the chairman was responsible for his dad’s death and that’s why he married the chaebol wife as a stepping stone to bringing down her father. On the other hand, there is also the possibility, like you said, that he found out after marriage. Even if the former is the case, JH is still human so naturally he will still feel guilty towards chaebol wife and his son. I think he loves his son, however, he probably considers bringing down the chairman a separate issue. Chaebol wife is not ignorant that JH and her father will enter a war soon because her father already warned her in last week’s episodes. Whether she choose to believe it or not is up to her.

Ep. 11 Text Preview

"Now... It would be nice if no one leaves."

Now that Jaehyun and Jisoo are well aware of the pain of suddenly losing their loved ones, they understand each other deeply. Concerned about Jisoo who's being fired from the [music] academy, Jaehyun goes through a lot of trials and errors in order to help her. Jisoo's dad, Hyunggu, who has returned to his senses finds out that Jaehyun is next to Jisoo and contacts Jaehyun secretly. After learning of all the ill-fated relationships of the past, Chairman Jang (Seokyung's dad) uses Seokyung and Junseo as shields to attack Jaehyun further. Meanwhile in 1996, an unexpected soul-crushing news is delivered to Jaehyun who is enlisting in the military.

BRUH JISOO CAN'T GET A BREAK HUH :bawling::heartbreak:

--

@celebrianna @thistle @triplem you're welcome :lol:

@celebrianna one of the things that stuck to me the most is when SK refers to JH's personality as cold when we know JH never treats the people he cares about in that manner. Him and SK are not hitting a rough patch, the relationship itself is a bad match that starts right when SK insisted she wants to marry JH coupled by her possessive personality. On the other side, it's possible JH already has his plans long before he married SK and took the marriage as an extra advantage.

Ep. 10 was... :tears::tears:

Oh, poor Ji-Soo. Poor Jae-Hyeon.

So Jae-Hyeon's father was unjustly framed as someone who betrayed his labor union while battling with Jang San (chairman of Hyung Sung) and ended up committing suicide. So Jae-Hyeon's actually been in stealth revenge mode against Hyung Sung for a looooong time.

And Ji-Soo's father was involved, too. Perhaps he was the prosecutor who "fixed" this case against Jae-Hyeon's father.

If this was a weekend makjang, Jang San would also be responsible for the department store collapse, too (after all, he also owns Hyung Sung STEEL). But even so, he is the Big Bad anyway.

Although Ji-Soo's father was cruel to her and tried so hard to tear our OTP apart, I loved that moment of recognition between them, as they both comforted each other over the loss they both suffered.

I loved that Yeong-Min got to have his say, even if it was only to the principal. "This school can shove it for not protecting me while I was bullied, so bye." After all, he was a top-scoring scholarship student who the school wanted enough to waive his tuition, room and board. Joon-Seo may bring the money in, but Yeong-Min was a valuable student to the school, too, to help burnish their academic standards. They didn't deserve him. Poor boy had it tough, but he's really mature and sweet. He's going to be okay. (we hope)

The one I feel sorry for is Joon-Seo. His dad never loved his mom, his mom is a sad, vindictive cipher, and his dad is about to burn down everything as he leaves. Having been spoiled rotten and taught no values, he's probably not equipped to become a decent citizen in this world. But he is a chaebol progeny, so... one line from "Heirs" stuck with me: "Chaebol companies never die, it's just that their owners change."

Well, both boys have it hard. Yeong-Min seems like a great kid, but his dad sucks and his paternal grandmother is a nightmare. No one has a happy, easy life in this show. (Except for maybe Dong-Jin.)

@celebrianna and @triplem, both of you bring up wonderful perspectives on whether JaeHyun knew about SK's father or not. It's quite tricky. At times JH seems to be very human, but at other times, he's materialistic and, as JS notes, "sunbae has changed." 

My points to back up how JH's character is portrayed: 

In ep9, when he was drunk, he started listing all the people he worried. I was like damn man, he's holding a lot inside! 

But then in ep 10, we get a flashback of JH saying that he will tell JS the long story one day. It feels as if he had planned it for a long time.

And if we go back to the train scene when JS tells JH about her mother and sister's passing, JH advises her, "It's not about how you get through it, it's about how you accept it." This tells a lot about JH. I speculate that he was planning to bring down SK's father from the start. 

PQAEzKE.jpg

This is also my favorite shot because JH and JS are finally putting their past behind their backs and we see the window view receding!

I feel like each episode there's more suffering and more suffering from each side of the OTP. so much stress that I had to listen to Taeyeon's song Stress to let my emotions cool down. :lol:  At times I want them together, but other times I want them to go through their separate paths. JH gets divorced and stays single. JS builds her career and raises her son with confidence. And then, we can get a Season 2 of them getting back together and living their lives to the fullest! the struggles! I feel like I'm going back and forth with my thoughts. oh boy. What has this drama done to me? 

@ponderings, I love that shot of them on the train too. I feel these two people have been through a lifetime of trouble without any end in sight. Now the chairman also wants to target Ji Soo “because she doesn’t know how to be afraid” according to him. I hope somebody drag him down from his throne and all the retribution from his past gives him a pay day. That’s just my wishful thinking. 

Youngmin. I love this kid! If the principal had any iota of character, he would have been ashamed of himself when Youngmin told him why he was leaving the school but some people don’t know how to be ashamed. I hope Ji Soo can get him into a good school this time around. He’s a sensible kid who knows to own up to his faults. Ji Soo really raised him well.

@celebrianna I'm hoping the chairman gets his doomsday soon, too. Did you get a deja vu when there was a close up shot of the chairman's index finger pausing before tapping it on the chair? I thought of the Jang chairman in Itaewon Class :lol: All kidding aside, that scene further confirms my love for JS who really knows how to stand up for herself. 

I'm also hoping that Youngmin will find a supportive community in a new school and smile more. This kid needs to live more as a kid! 

Archived