[Drama 2020] When My Love Blooms, 화양연화

0ly40

@thistle, I’m holding out for a happy ending even if it only means Ji Soo is free of her obsessive ex and living an independent life. That’s the minimum I can settle for. 

As to Ji Soo and Jae Hyun reuniting, it’s more worrying about Jae Hyun’s side because, as I said before, he acts passively towards chaebol wife. I’m not sure what’s on his mind with regard to his loveless marriage. He also seems to pity chaebol wife during some moments and in the next moments, he’s seems completely apathetic to her. I think that Jae Hyun and Ji Soo need to realize that if they want a life together, they need to fight for it.

On Viki timed comments for this weekend’s episodes, a lot of viewers were complaining that they’re tired of watching Ji Soo pitying herself rather than standing up for herself. Fortunately before yesterday’s episode ended she began to do it. Nevertheless, I also find that Jae Hyun is also living like Ji Soo by taking on all the crimes of his FIL. I know he has plans but really, is it worth going to prison again? Let it all go and walk away. Live a simple life away from corporate malfeasance and rich corrupt people. To me it just isn’t worth it. 

In the end, these dark scenes should end.  I want to believe that both him and Ji Soo will emerge from this long dark tunnel eventually. I will feel cheated otherwise. 

• Replies 773
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/18/2020 at 7:02 AM, acuteaddict said:

lol for all this fuss, they might as well have an affair since they won’t get peace either way :lol:

jk I don’t condone affairs but I wouldn’t hate it in this context 

Hear hear... and yes, i do think the young lovers did sleep together (more than sleeping, if you get what i mean) that night...

And yes, the adults should just have an affair already, sorry i know i shouldnt advocate for it but the drama is projected in such a way that we root for them to be together after so long and both are obviously in pain and want to be with each other.

I do find the latest episode to be slow, i wish it is more faster... we are halfway though the drama, so i hope more things are not dragged.

7 hours ago, thistle said:

I kinda have the feeling that their quite moment of asylum will somehow be made public in a painful way.  Dramas have a way of making nasty little twists like that.

I've been trying to imagine how this drama could end happily in any way at all, and I can't.  Somehow I'm reminded of a JDrama that I loved but that pained me greatly:  Hatsukoi

Reveal hidden contents

A happily married woman encounters the first love who had betrayed her.  They cannot ignore one another.  First he saves her life; then she saves his.  Ultimately, she is forced to leave her husband and her son.  Although she can now be with her great love, they can never be truly happy or at peace.  When she is terminally ill, the lover returns her to her family so that she can die at home.

I have a horrid feeling that the ending of this drama will be just as heart-wrenching.  

lol they already did that with that orphan kiss

...I on the contrary I feel its will have a sort of positive ending ... because they already started with as much misery and regrets and obstacles...and the title even though its not accurate in english has a hopeful vibe...I for one dont put the most importance on endings but on the way there....

...I would like to mention that there isnt much to do about a possessive EX in real life... you can do what you like in a drama but in life its more tricky ...

what does standing up to an obsessive ex in real life mean ? you can divorce and move on ... and then they come after you .....I say this cause I have a beautiful girlfriend who is living this situation ...she also have her kid custody... and she unlucky for her married a psycho, she does stand for him but he keeps turning at her jobs causing her scandals and sending her threats... poor girl keeps fighting him but she is alone in her fight   

Not sure if the translation was correct or not, but the father-in-law commented after seeing Ji-soo playing piano at the labor union festival:  “Even from afar, she doesn’t look ordinary.”  He might be evil but has good insight regarding women.

I think at this moment many of us can sympathize with and root for our OPT, not only because their love for each other defy time, but also because they so deserve happiness, especially for Ji-Soo.   

It is easy for audience to sympathize with Ji-Soo, for she seems to have had a stream of unfortunate incidents thrown upon her and that weight of life has turned her into that helpless, miserable, and self-pitying mode we see.  We all want her to move beyond those years-long emotional suffering.  But what about Jae-Hyun?  I guess some may still have their opinions reserved for our ML, for he is still married to someone else,  and that he seems to have "betrayed" his comrades and belief and lives quite a glamorous lifestyle (apart for serving the 4-year jail time for his FIL of course).

I am curious as to why Jae-Hyun married the chaebol wife in the first place.  He obviously married a woman he didn't love, and married into a family that never has the intention of including him in the first place.  Jae-Hyun doesn't hate his wife.  In many scenes Jae-Hyun's expressions show that he feels sorry for her and maybe even a tad of guilt there.  I think it is because he understands her loneliness in their loveless marriage, but love is just something he doesn't have in reserve for her and she knows that.  The chaebol wife said she was Jae-Hyun's only choice --  I guess the FIL  (and the chaebol wife herself) schemed Jae-Hyun into marrying his daughter somehow.  The bar friend also mentioned once that "perhaps Jae-Hyun's father's death was the reason that Jae-Hyun had changed completely".    Could it be that the FIL was somehow involved in the death of Jae-Hyun's dad?    Did Jae-Hyun marry the chaebol wife with some kind of agenda in mind to take down the conglomerate, because of and for his dad,  the injustice or both? 

So far with Jae-Hyun's character portrayed in the drama,  I am opting to think that that our ML has not changed after all.  I feel that he might have faltered and felt frustrated with what he fought for, but he still has that kindness, compassion, courage with him all along.  What he is working on now shows his changed tactics in fighting against injustice and corruption, and along the way he can not keep his integrity intact unfortunately.  

Like Jae-Hyun said to Ji-Soo:   with 20 years out of a million year - they only just took a step forward, how can they part now?

Ji-Soo said:  For fear of being trapped in the past, she kept walking without looking back, only to find out that she has never left the place.

I hope our OPT will fight together now like they used to.   I remain positive for a happy ending, and I really need it for our couple!

Ps:  Do we all find Yoon Ji-Tae incredibly charming in this drama?   He always dresses and moves elegantly.  In the scene where Jae-Hyun stood up and walked away after he had a face-to-face talk with Ji-Soo's ex...  We only have a fleeting glimpse of his moves in that scene but with that simple move Yoon Ji-Tae captured how confident, determined, forceful yet elegantly Jae-Hyun handled the situation when it come to protecting his love.  Lovely!   

9 hours ago, Tango27 said:

lol they already did that with that orphan kiss

...I on the contrary I feel its will have a sort of positive ending ... because they already started with as much misery and regrets and obstacles...and the title even though its not accurate in english has a hopeful vibe...I for one dont put the most importance on endings but on the way there....

When I said that the moment of asylum would be made public in a painful way, perhaps I did not express my full thought.  What I meant was not something like the kiss being exposed but instead that they would have to fight against others publically and that it would destroy even the tiniest moment of peace and contentment.  I meant that their spurned partners have the potential to display such destructive rage that they could incinerate any chance of simple tranquility such as the moment of asylum.  Given the battle that they are facing, those moments would be especially precious and fragile.  This is after all a melo, and the stage is set for a painful fight one way or another.

I am steeling myself against an unhappy ending because these lovers stand to lose all to be together.  Although we are at mid-point in this drama, there is still so much to be revealed and I wonder about the pacing.

What I was saying about Hatsukoi was that the lovers in that drama had to give up everything for one another but even though their love was fulfilled, the price that was paid was very high and they could not find perfect peace because of the losses they each  faced to reach one another.  If you haven't seen Hatsukoi, it is a drama that I'd heartily recommend if you're ready to have a good cry.  I can't link to videos but you can read more about it at MyDramaList.

5 hours ago, Sianna said:

But what about Jae-Hyun?  I guess some may still have their opinions reserved for our ML, for he is still married to someone else,  and that he seems to have "betrayed" his comrades and belief and lives quite a glamorous lifestyle (apart for serving the 4-year jail time for his FIL of course).

I love the way the actor is portaying JH.  Even the smallest action or glance speaks so much.  YJT is amazing.

And I'm also curious about what has motivated JH to spend his life as he has.  Although he was trying to fight for those in need when  he was young, JH never really stepped into the middle of the fight when it counted.  It was JS who stood out as a true warrior, and she has continued to be a risk-taker even though she seems passive sometimes.  Being passive can be just another way of facing the battle when dealing with an abuser. 

Now it is time for JH to stand up instead of working from the sidelines.  He has yet to show his hand when it comes to what he may have planned for besting his FIL, and his relationship with JS is likely to put those plans in jeopardy.  Which will he have to protect in the end and how will he fight it all out?  I'm interested to see how this all plays out.

Even thought I want to hope for a happy ending, I really don't dare.

On 5/17/2020 at 4:56 PM, celebrianna said:

I’m beginning to think both Ji Soo and JH are doormats in their own way.

Yes @celebrianna Ever since JS left , he did become a doormat. Stop believing in helping the helpless. They both suffered and realized what is the point of fighting if you can’t win against the rich.  
i hope this make sense. In their own way, when it comes to protecting each other, that is when they DARE to brave . The people in their lives threaten them with a invisible threat/temptation to keep them in line but it is only to keep him in line. 

I really enjoyed 7 & 8. This show continues to deliver all the feels.

I *like* Seo-Gyeong. She is hilarious. Love how she sat outside the restaurant (at the meeting of the harpies) and wryly observed that Ji-Su gave as good as she got. She has the maturity of a mewling baby, but she's self-aware, and just... fun to watch. I even kind of enjoy those early flashbacks to when they met. I mean, it's really kind of cute. I sort of get why they got married. (Even though he belongs with Ji-Su, obviously.)

Se-Hoon, on the other hand, just continues to be gross and disgusting. It really boggles my mind that he fell in love with Ji-Su because of her social justice warrior ways.

So Jae-Hyeon is planning to become a whistleblower and take down Hyung Sung. We don't know how long he's been planning this, and what was the catalyst for his plans (From the beginning? Or after his FIL treated him like a dog?) but his goal is to send his FIL to jail.

Soooo... I think we can safely say - this marriage is effectively OVER. It's not even about Ji-Su. Jae-Hyeon and his FIL are basically mortal enemies now, and there's just no possible way that his relationship with Seo-Gyeong can be preserved in any meaningful way.

Every time FIL calls Jae-Hyeon a "dog," everyone gets to drink. (I mean, we get it. You think he's a dog. Geez.)

So how do we think this "Operation Chaebol Takedown" is going to go? Smooth and weirdly easy (Itaewon Class) or super tragic and operatic (Forest of Secrets). Jae-Hyeon is smart, so let's hope it's not too complicated.

Because after all, this show is about romance!

I just love both couples, the young JH-JS and the older JH-JS. Special kudos for the actors playing the young couple - they don't look that much like Yoo Ji-Tae and Lee Bo-Yeong, but they are doing a great job evoking the pair.

Spoiler

My predictions:

1. So the FIL knew JS's father from way back when. Looks like JS's father probably did a lot of corrupt favors for FIL. FIL will probably try to use that to manipulate JS or something.

2. My guess is that JH's father died, possibly during a labor protest, and that's what got JH to turn his back on the labor movement.

3. My other guess is that JS continued to be with JH while JS's father continued to chase and harass him - and that was when her sister (and possibly mother) died, and so JS's father blames JS for that somehow.

(Oh, and thank you someone above for telling us that Lee Tae-Sung [Yeong Woo] was in "A Thousand Affections" with Lee Bo-Yeong! I saw that and enjoyed it a lot and completely forgot that he was in it - they were the OTP. Really cute drama.)

I dont wholly agree with the doormat ..expression

as far as JH is concerned... he seems to be playing the PAWN... not being the pawn , even going to prison seems like part of his game with the father in law... 

JS seemed ok on her own ( except no stable jobs cause she doesnt have a degree ) until JH appeared., which seems her weak spot..........she already went to prison for foul play and she divorced the husband and she supports the labour workers....I dont exactly call this a doormat...her father describes her as being easily manipulated and put others before her which makes her take the bad decisions...

this lovely song has been playing in my head none stop... the winner from the OST 

english subtitles for the song>>>sorry if its been put before

I think this would be the words on JS behalf 

Someday We Will Meet Again

don't say anything .. if it has passed

there are many misunderstandings in many stories

don't ask if it has passed

No answer can convey my sincerity

just put it in your heart ... the words I wanted to say

the scattered memories we called LOVE

there will be a day to meet again... then you hug me

instead of saying sorry ...I couldn't do it today 

don't look back if you are far away

I left with a smile , but I am still crying

don't wait if you are far away

I will become foolishly longing and I hate it

just out it in your heart ... the words I wanted to say

the scattered memories we called LOVE

there will be a day to meet again... then you hug me

instead of saying sorry ...I couldn't do it today 

@thistle, I tend to think Japanese and Chinese drama show writers have a penchant for sad endings. If this drama was from either country, I’d definitely prepare myself fully for a sad ending. Heck, I would probably wait to find out how it ends before watching it. :lol: However, since this is a Korean drama, I still have hope for some kind of happy ending. After all, I want to believe that there’s light at the end of the tunnel for both Ji Soo and Jae Hyun. They look like they’re just enduring. Dong Jin looks like the only one from their past who’s normal, enjoying life and his toddlers. 

@UnniSarah, yes, our OTP becomes brave when they’re protecting each other. I hope Ji Soo continues to be brave and spurn the interference of her obsessive ex. Otherwise, they just allow themselves to be used by the people around them. I get that Jae Hyun spent years patiently plotting against his FIL and he probably wants to finish what he started, even risking imprisonment, but my fear is that things are becoming more complicated. Jae Hyun simply cannot fail again in protecting the things he should have protected. He failed in 1995 but he had better not fail now.

This is Ep. 9 text preview that I translated:

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnblossom/8/Board/List

(It's not letting me cut and paste the Korean part.)

--

"I will return to you"

Jae-Hyeon puts his heart into a clumsy gift to express all the love he couldn't give her until now. One of them is to face Hyeong-Goo (her father) who has changed and become so pitiable.

Seeing the Jae-Hyeon that she loved, Ji-Soo begins to open her heart to him, little by little. But Se-Hoon is revealing Jae-Hyeon's unjust firings of employees and other mistakes he made, which confuses Ji-Soo.

In June 1995, Ji-Soo's birthday approaches.

Ep. 9 Recap

Cathedral scene. 

JH walks JS home. They say their goodbyes to each other in front of JS' house. But then JS suddenly asks if JH wants to eat some ramyun, so they have some ramyun and coffee at the convenience store nearby. JH says what they're doing feels like a date. "Should we call this our first day?" referring to the start of their relationship. JS' expression changes at the question and she feels uncomfortable. They talk about enduring something, JH says he can endure it all because there's JS.

JS and JH then have a walk at the park. She talks about her dad, how he taught her how to play the piano, how she couldn't see his dad eye-to-eye at all back then but she understands him now. In return, JH tells her about his mom's radio that's recently broken so he gave her a personal concert. He tells JS about the song he sings to his mom, JS wants him to sing her that song too but he refuses to do so. JS falls asleep on his shoulder.

At dawn, JS and JH say their goodbyes. After a moment of hesitation, JH musters the courage to follow JS up the stairs. Before pressing the doorbell to JS' house, though, he notices the motion activated lamp in front of JS' front door is dead.

Later during the day, JH's secretary comes to JS' house to proudly show JS the newly installed CCTV above JS' front door. A technician also brings up a new digital door lock to be installed for her. JS is overwhelmed and becomes speechless at the sight of this.

JH's secretary returns to JH's office to report to JH. JH notices about the personal favors he keeps making Jun Woo do [for JS]. JW says he's the No. 1 person in Korea who knows JH best and assures JH that he's on JH's side. They start joking on how JW's all grown up. JH thanks JW. Aww they're so cute...

At the nursing home, JS is with her dad. There's a piano sound coming from the hall, so they head there. "My daughter knows how to play piano very well..." says JS' dad. JS asks him, "What did you say, dad?" "My daughter knows how to play piano very well, Seonsaengnim." referring to JS as "Teacher" (doctors and nurses are also called Seonsaengnim) because he doesn't remember her. The person playing piano turns out to be JH. He greets JS' dad and gets a happy greeting in return. So JS' dad doesn't remember JH either...

While walking alone during the day, an ambulance passes by JS blasting its siren and she suddenly has breathing difficulties. Seems like an anxiety attack.

At night, JS and JH have another stroll at the park. JS notices the newly installed motion sensor lights. She strongly suspects it's JH's doing but doesn't say anything. A speaker at the park plays a song JH sings while playing his guitar, it's Yoo Jaeha's You in My Arms. We're shown JW is also behind this and he works together with the security guard, bribing him with chickens lol. JUN WOO YOU ARE SUCH A CUTIE!!! JH says what she feels to JS. JS painfully smiles because she feels like a movie protagonist in her best scene, but she feels her footsteps are heavy if she walks together with JH. In the end, he assures her that he'll take care of things even though he doesn't know how long it'll take. He promises he'll come back to her.

SK watches Days of Being Wild at home. As the movie ends, JH comes to the movie room. SK seems sad but she tells JH the movie is no fun. JH explains how their marriage ends even before he met JS. He became indifferent and SK saw another man. And it's going to be hard for SK once she has to choose between him and her dad. SK replies there's nothing else in the world she wants, she's sorry but she's unable to divorce JH. SK starts to cry... And I feel kinda bad for her... But I try not to...

JS finally meets SK's dad. He claims he knows JS' dad, he used to give HG money and play golf with him. He wonders why JS is doing the things she does and whether she needs money.

YM meets with his school's principal. He asks YM why his grades are dropping and whether he has thoughts of studying abroad because he's chosen for a study abroad program, all expenses covered by "that company". YM hesitates because his grades are dropping but principal assures him because his past grades were good.

YM's school calls JS to inform her about the study abroad, she finds out it's funded by Hyung Sung Group (not sure if it's from SK's dad or JH). JS is required to come to YM's school to talk with YM's teacher. At YM's school, we see JS waiting for YM alone while there are other moms around her gathering in groups. A black sedan comes by, JH gets off the car to pick Jun Seo. JH stares at JS but other moms notice that and start gossiping about JS. Once JS sees JH, she pretends like she doesn't know JH.

JS sits down with YM and she seems to express her feelings about YM being chosen as Hyung Sung Group scholar to study abroad.

LMAO JH'S DRUNK SCENE. JS carries him on the back of her shoulders so he can sleep on the sofa. You know what happens next hee hee~

We find out that a couple of school moms finally gossip about JS & JH in front of their kids. Oh no...

Back in 1995, it's the night before JS' birthday. She excitedly picks a pair of shoes and a dress. The next morning, JS is all dressed up and we see her packing a lunchbox. JS' mom and sister are planning to get JS a strawberry cake for her birthday at the department store, but JS can't come with them because she has somewhere to go. She promises to come back home before nighttime.

Turns out JS is visiting JH at the military base to give him the lunchbox. While JH eats his lunch with JS, there's news on the television about a collapsed department store. JS recognizes the building. She calls someone (his dad's office IIRC) at a payphone and gets shocked at what she hears. She quickly leaves the military base in a trance-like state, even leaving her right shoe behind but JH is unable to chase her with the other shoe since people are holding him back. On the way back to Seoul, the train JS is on makes an emergency stop in the middle of the tunnel. JS who looks distressed leaves her seat and walks to a different coach, she keeps walking until the last coach but the door is locked. Realizing it's too late, she cries while banging the train door, wanting to get out of the dark tunnel.

Present day JS takes a train to visit YM. JH takes the train and sits next to her. JH makes up reasons why he's taking the train by saying his secretary is taking a day off and his car dies. She wonders how did he know about which train she takes. JH says he waited for her since dawn. And of course, the train makes an unexpected stop in the tunnel. JS gets really anxious and leaves her seat. At the end of the train coach, she cries during what seems like a panic attack, but this time JH is there to hug her.

It's raining at the nursing home where JS' dad is at. He remembers something and becomes worried. He looks at the family photo and puts on a jacket to go outside. In the rain, he shouts "Jiyoung... Yeobo (Wife/Honey)..." as he tries to find them.

END

Ep. 10 Text Preview

"Having filled with moments that are pretty like flowers, I think I can endure it all."

Despite experiencing the traumatic pain of the past, Jisoo can endure it because Jaehyun is beside her. Rumors [about JS & JH] spread rapidly, finally reaching Junseo and Youngmin. The two fight, but Youngmin says he does not want to be punished by the school and Jisoo respects Youngmin's choice. Meanwhile, Jisoo asks Jaehyun's involvement in the suicide case of a union member five years ago. Jaehyun tells Jisoo the story of his father's death.

Archived