[Drama 2020] Fix You / Soul Repairer, 영혼수선공

0ly40

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, okay, so this drama just blows any myths or softness towards mental health out of the window!

I knew I wanted to watch this because I adore Jung So Min, she is such a great actress, but she is beyond impressive in this drama.

I felt so bad for WJ from the very beginning. She wins such a big award and immediately gets fake arrested, pulled off the stage, only to find out said cop isn't really a cop, then stuck at a police station in a gown no less, only to leave and find out that her boyfriend sold private footage of her finding out everything to his station and is about to gallivant with a fellow actress. Whew! That is a LOT for anyone to take in at one time. Before we can catch our breath over all of those events, she gets fired from the play she is the LEAD in and basically told she sucks and everyone is afraid of her.

Cut to Dr. Lee and you immediately get the feeling that he is the type of psychiatrist who tirelessly tries to save and cure all of his patients. Whether it's a delusional cop, a schizophrenic kid or a woman struggling with alcoholism, he is willing to do whatever it takes to actually give his patients a sense of peace and normalcy. But when does he sleep? Have we seen him resting at all in this drama? Ah, he too is struggling, and with PTSD from losing a patient with the same borderline personality disorder as WJ.

One thing I have observed about WJ is how she is her absolute happiest when she is helping others. Either when she is entertaining people and making them happy performing on stage, or doing the stage therapy and being able to help and comfort others. This is the key to her healing. She has abandonment issues, which is why she can't take being ignored and not receiving a certain amount of attention from others. The key for her is to put that energy into other people. I also think her natural ability to comfort other people is exactly what Dr. Lee needs. He works in the medical field where everyone is supposed to keep their emotions intact. He doesn't feel compelled to really share his pain with anyone, not even his friends. WJ is just what the doctor ordered.

This plot to get rid of him is interesting. Is he unorthodox? Yes. Can some of his methods be a bit much? Yes. But, they are effective. I never understood psychologists and psychiatrists who believe in this "by the book" method of treatment. You are dealing with people who have mental health issues completely outside of the normal lines. Different methods should be welcomed. I can't wait to see how they move forward with this drama.

I loved the protocol that involves electroshocking little kids.

I really liked episode 6. The first time i really liked the "problem/patient of the week". 

The parts with Young-Won were great.

I liked the scenes with Ji-Sun. (I just realized that the actress was the little sister in One Spring Night). And it seems like there are showing a bit more background of their relationship in the next episode. I am already looking forward to that.

The story with Kang Neu-Ri as one of the victims was good as well. 

I pretty much liked everything about the episode. I guess apart from the scene where Dong-Hyeok tells his bs story how his grandma lost her toes. I couldn't stop rolling my eyes.

Oh and of course Jung Somin killed it in those stage therapy scenes.

Probably the best episode yet.

So it seems like it's really headed towards romance.. Even if she is only his ex patient it's still highly unethical right? Is it legal? Could he lose his license? Maybe someone can fill me in.

Annyeong chingudeul, 

Just finished watching episodes 5-6 (9-12). 

These are my observations:

1.Lee Shi Joon 
- his medical/psychiatrical history are getting more defined at these current episodes 

- he has PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)  as diagnosed by Dr. Ji Young Won ( LSJ doctor-friend) 

- he had a romantic relationship with a BPD patient 9 yrs ago, named Se Yeong, who died by jumping into an open water while they're in the ship,  that gave him traumatic experience

@Larissa Loubackyour query has been answered 

- he told Park Lou story to his Appa while the father was asleep in the nursing home but his father wasn't asleep at all. In the end, his father was the one informed Park Lou's case to Human Rights but it was wrapped up peacefully by the police and LSJ (actually I was thinking the informant was the nurse but not, lol) 

-he returned to hospital and worked on the case of PARAPHILIA

- he again, worked on the case of WooJoo

2. Han Woo Joo

- bec she wanted attention  she even barged in the front of LSJ's car

- she had a roller coaster emotions as she stated to Dr.  Ji Young Won

-she gave soju and drank with the newly - discharged alcholic woman in exchange of info about Park Lou's case disclosure 

- she quit working part-time in the hospital 

-she became so hospitable in the restaurant to the point she sat on the customers table and chatted with them which made her friend annoyed

-she sang songs to the flowers by the road

-she felt she was in love with LSJ bec of the comfort she felt when they were together which the two doctor - friends analyzed as "transference"

-she heard unintentionally in the hallway how LSJ suffered during the best years of his father

-said good-bye to LSJ by dancing and saying the ending of a realtiinship is  more important than the beginning of how they met

-she returned to hospital and worked together with the doctors in the case of paraphilia 

-she got so happy when she received the bracelet given by LSJ

3.Psychiatry wing 

Kang Noo Ri - caught the best heart surgeon while filming a woman's breast

-a victim of hidden camera herself

Kong Ji Hee - I think she has a romantic feelings with Dr. In Dong Hyeok

In Dong Hyeok - accepted PL's case but got a problem with it (PL ran around and the guards calmed/stopped him with a taser gun) 

- likes Ji Young Won 

Ji Young Won - she knew Se Yeong's case as BPD patient 

- has a romantic feelings toward LSJ but making it as secret

- wanted to disclose her feelings to LSJ after HWJ told her about what she felt towards LSJ

My thoughts :

1. I don't know if having a relationship with a patient is okay?  But it is also my thinking that personal life is very different with professional life. I think,  this can be allowed only if the job wont be affected by personal issues however in this drama it went the other way around . @Fabbo

2. Ohhh my,  I love how Woo Joo prepared the dance and said goodbye to Shi Joon. 

"A person who notices someone who is sick is someone who is even sicker.

You treat sick people proly bec you hurt even more inside.

When you feel down listening to drums will help.

You comforted me and I wanted to comfort you. 

Rather than how we meet,  how we part is more important." 

Spoiler

IMG-20200523-120355.jpg

IMG-20200523-120412.jpg

IMG-20200523-120429.jpg

IMG-20200523-120530.jpg

So I guess this is the part of the beginning of the so-called romantic relationship within our leads.

For me I am a half-half against with romance development here but I also want to know how the story will progress while Si Joon has PTSD and Woo Joo has BPD. How will the screenwriter make the characters of these two leads progress despite having these serious mental issues. For sure they did so much research. For the age gap, I don't have issue. 

3. The Paraphilia patients 

Spoiler

FYI - Paraphilic disorders are recurrent, intense, sexually arousing fantasies, urges, or behaviors that are distressing or disabling and that involve inanimate objects, children or nonconsenting adults, or suffering or humiliation of oneself or the partner with the potential to cause harm.

The most common are pedophilia (sexual focus on children), exhibitionism (exposure of genitals to strangers), voyeurism (observing private activities of unaware victims) and frotteurism (touching or rubbing against a nonconsenting person).

Mental disorders really are wide in spectrum. Even professionals like medical doctors are not invincible with this kind of illness.

Again, mental issues have always connection from the broken past, traumatic experience, or stress in the work area just like the ER doctor with his senior doctor. 

When a person doesn't able to control this issue from the start, in no time , it will be bigger and can't be controllable anymore. They'll become monster and there will be more victims in the future bec of this mental disorder.

Seriously mental disorders are like cancer. It has its own stages also, so if a person doesn't have a support system and not want any help or not asking any help, this here will start the problem. That stage one will become 2, then 3 until it is hardly treatable.

It is good thing the hospital offered them treatment but we know people are very ashamed of telling when they have mental problem. It's a stigma. This situation/lines reminded me of "Dear Zindagi" movie when Dr. Khan said "while we can easily tell what's our body's problem but when it comes to our mind it is the opposite. It feels like our mind ain't a part of our whole being. "

Spoiler

IMG-20200523-124456.jpg

IMG-20200523-124437.jpg

IMG-20200523-124525.jpg

IMG-20200523-124538.jpg

IMG-20200523-124552.jpg

IMG-20200523-124605.jpg

IMG-20200523-124616.jpg

IMG-20200523-124628.jpg

IMG-20200523-124639.jpg

IMG-20200523-124651.jpg

IMG-20200523-124702.jpg

IMG-20200523-124720.jpg

Mian for the photos;  not HD

So it is a good will in the part of hospital when they offered the treatment in order to avoid future victims in the society. 

Spoiler

IMG-20200523-125540.jpg

IMG-20200523-125601.jpg

IMG-20200523-125614.jpg

IMG-20200523-125624.jpg

IMG-20200523-125635.jpg

IMG-20200523-125646.jpg

IMG-20200523-125714.jpg

IMG-20200523-125723.jpg

4. I love that Woo Joo returned to hospital and helped again in treating the patient. 

Mianheo for the long post. :P

Because of my profession I have tried to restrain myself from commenting on this thread, but fix you needs to fix their psychiatric Doctors. With cultural relativity in mind, the things they do would've lost a professional or medical license ASAP in America. I don't know what kind of confidentiality they have in Korea or their laws, but this is a poor example of therapy.

I can say that psychiatry with a few exceptions are poor in America when it comes to actual therapy because they ascribe to a medical model regarding mental disorders. Most psychiatrists try to peel everything away with a pill. Most psychiatrists are very poor when it comes to diagnosing because they don't spend enough time with the patient to thoroughly assess and give an accurate diagnosis. I'm wondering why there Behavioral Health Unit in patient is not locked down or a secure floor. Non-licensed professionals are not allowed to conduct psychodrama group therapy or any other type of therapy unless they have been professionally trained at the minimum with a master's degree under the supervision of a licensed mental health professional. Paraphilia disorders are rarely treated in a group setting like that especially with  observers in the background. This was poorly done through and through! Psychodrama is not the  treatment for paraphilia or sexual disorders.

Who in the hell do they consult in the mental health field for the show? Please fire them immediately! If you're going to do a show about fixing somebody, at least have some competent professionals to set this up. In real life, the boy in the last episode will have likely jumped off a building after that BS!  Then to have the victim in the audience whilehe was processing, that was majorly unethical. Everybody in that room medical license would have been snatched.

To see her outburst at this moment...is quite sad and also scary.  

and the panic situation ..... I don't think she can ever know about his own trauma .. and this led to another misunderstanding.  I really hope by the end of the drama, they will be able to help her though it is very difficult and will take lots of time.

Credit to KBSDrama

WJ transference is really uncomfortable to watch. Dr. Lee’s character might feel really bad about it.

I really hope, like I never did before in the other episodes, that she can be seriously treated. You know, with professionalism, medication, a racional process, where she is able to understands that IT ISNT HER FAULT, it is just an alternative brain configuration. I saw some videos, in most of them, knowing the disorder helped the patients to acknowledge that sometimes it’s borderline speaking through them, and with therapy, they improved their lifestyle. Please, writers, don’t make a person with a disability be this confused about his own self. 

I'm getting  uncomfortable too watching the change in the relationship of the psychiatrist and his patient.  However,  I will still follow this drama because I would like to know what's going to happen to both of them.  Both do need help professionally.

Credit to the owner

Hello guys, 

[Due to unsettling feeling when watching this drama, I decide to join this forum and give my 2 cents.]

First of all, I am a fan of Jung Somin and I was really excited when she decided to choose this piece at first because mental health is a huge issue and it is not easy to tackle due to unfamiliarity with the subject although mental health awareness has been gaining more attention right now. There are a few dramas which also central around mental health (It's okay it's love, kill me heal me etc) but the keyword 'healing' was what attracted me at first so I thought 'Oh, this drama is going to be a different drama'.

Secondly, I have a bit of medical background so my opinion might seem bias. Honestly, the cases discussed in this drama are interesting, although some might be triggering as well. I have a lot of things to disagree on how the doctors in the drama handled their patients but I would not go into details. It is true that the psychiatric patients are treated in a different way. Compare to other specialties, the psychiatric patients who are admitted have more freedom or at least in my country where they can go out for smoke and sometimes they are allowed go home to visit their family so that they feel like they are treated as normal person as long as they follow the curfew/ rules (although a tighter security will be considered only if the patient's condition is considered to be alarming). I find the way Lee Sijoon handled his patient is not comfortable to watch and his action is worth to get his medical license suspended. Of course his method might help to build rapport with patient but at the same time, his method may be too extreme that it may harm his patients and the people around them. I understand it might be as a purpose of entertainment but I hope the writer will be more careful in portraying this difficult subject and profession, consult the right person and not to write scenario base on the books/ theories only. 

Thirdly, I have no issue with the large age gap romance only if they do not romanticised certain professions especially the doctor-patient relationship. Doctor-patient relationship is a sacred relationship as it requires mutual trust for healing to happen. I understand that love might be one of the ways of healing, but I honestly think it is unnecessary to include romance in this drama. Transference is common especially in borderline patients so I can understand where Han Woojoo is coming from (she has borderline disorder, her previous traumatic experience being abandoned by her parents, plus now she has a psychiatrist who care a lot about her). However, I cannot understand Lee Sijoon, as someone who has medical background who should have more insight about what's going on admitted that he has transference, moreover this is the second time that he develops feeling on his patients. I have no issue if they develop feelings after the treatment completed, but to develop feelings with patient during treatment would be considered as professional misconduct and is uncomfortable to watch. 

Last but not least, I hope that the writer will go back on track to the original intention to be a healing drama. It has good theme and subject to discuss at first but now it seems that the drama has shifted to romance between psychiatrist and patient. I also hope that the writer will not choose to live up romance for the sake of ratings since romance is easier to sell. I am still holding my hope that this drama will be different from the other psychiatry drama I've ever watched. It is such a waste if we are to concentrate on the romance since this drama has a lot to offer. 

Thanks for reading my rant :)

WHATS HAPPENING??

I am not watching the drama as carefully as I should, but I didn’t saw it coming.

Even tho WooJoo can be annoying, guys, she has a humor disorder! I am not seeing a lot of people telling her that is okay to not to be okay, that her feelings of people constantly betraying her are symptoms of borderline, that she isn’t the paranoid crazy woman that she thinks she is.

WooJoo paints herself with really mean colors, it makes me sad.

Also, I still don’t have any idea of how the hell they are going to make the doctor-patient relationship work, it is getting really romantic and I didn’t expect it. She should be attending another psychiatrist and psychologist (by the way, the psychologist was really irresponsible in the last episode). She needs regular therapy and a support system, It is kinda awful that, after 20 episodes, people are still putting this mentally unstable person aside.

I can't help but cried together with him during this scene.  What a powerful hug can do to the heart and mind.

Next Preview

Yes, she still needs to be treated by real professional.  I thought the meeting with the upper management of the hospital might mention about the unethical situation but nope ... it was mentioned only between the sisters at the restaurant. 

In the last scene when WJ was saying her goodbye it looks like they have changed roles - the patient becomes the doctor and vice versa. 

Jung So Ming is doing a great job as HWJ.

Yes, JSM is doing a great job. I really like her as an actress and she is definitely delivering here.

I have questions, though! Like...is it really okay to have a relationship with a doctor and patient in Korea?? I know they say it's not the greatest thing, but I feel like in some places that would be a very serious infraction of policy. Also...is she a patient or is she not? I don't know much about how BPD is treated, but she obviously has some major abandonment issues. I see them treating all of these other people for their past trauma, and meanwhile she sort of drifts in and out of the hospital but it's like no one is really seriously treating her. Can they assign her to a doctor who she has no personal connections with (ie neither of the two she has seen thus far) and then let her work out the relationship separately?

The hug with the former teacher was a lovely scene. 

To answer the question, it doesn't matter which country or where the doctor/ patient come from, romantic relationship between doctor and patient is never deemed to be ethical, so I doubt if it is the opposite in South Korea. Also, as I am aware, LSJ's superiors also questioned LSJ on his relationship with HWJ, so it means they indeed know the fact that it is unethical to have romantic relationship. 

"Romantic or sexual interactions between physicians and patients that occur concurrently with the patient physician relationship are unethical. Such interactions detract from the goals of the patient-physician relationship and may exploit the vulnerability of the patient, compromise the physician’s ability to make objective judgments about the patient’s health care, and ultimately be detrimental to the patient’s well-being."

- AMA Principles of Medical Ethics

In the recent eps, LSJ's superior asked him if 'he can't love and date someone ordinary, who is not a patient'. To which he answered that 'he is a patient too' so he is treating his PTSD by dating HWJ who happens to have borderline disorder just like his former patient/ex- girlfriend. So I think in this situation what might be the best for LSJ to do is he should terminate the doctor-patient relationship before initiating dating/ romantic relationship with HWJ although HWJ might perceive that LSJ abandons her if he tries to refer her to another psychiatrist. But I honestly think that he should either pick one, does he wants to be her doctor or her boyfriend otherwise it is going to be so complicated. 

I don't know if the writer purposely writes this issue/ scenario for the audience to think/ discuss/ reflect but if she does, I hope it will be properly addressed later on (there are 6 eps to go so I assume we are now at the climax?)

p.s I don’t know if I get too overworked by this kind of situation given that this is fictional. Maybe I should calm myself, sit back and relax >.<

In a way it's also not the only such relationship, since the original psychiatrist wants to both treat LSJ AND date him as well. This woman seems like a terrible choice as a doctor for HWJ to see, since she is also emotionally entangled in the situation. 

Also, is stage therapy a thing? I understand how role play can be helpful, and likewise group discussions, but to have a whole audience of doctors watching you and taking notes on your most private, painful experiences? Don't get me wrong, I found the moment with the teacher incredibly moving. I just wondered if in real life, you'd have an audience for that. 

Or maybe I shouldn't ask these questions, lol. I enjoy the acting very much and there are so many heartfelt moments that leave me with worthwhile things to consider. I do see HWJ making progress. She has outbursts, yes, but you can see her trying very hard to put in action the few techniques she has managed to learn from her hop and skip "treatment." Maybe this is the kind of drama where you take all the good from it that you can and don't ask too much of it...

Archived