Quantcast
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
0ly40

[Drama 2020] Fix You / Soul Repairer, 영혼수선공

Annyeong chingu, 

I'm so delighted I started to watch this drama. I always love medical dramas. This kind of genre makes me learn more about the human psyche and anatomy. One medical dramas I always love is "It's Okay, That's Love" wc centers in the psyche and love story of Hae Soo and Jae Yeol. I won't compare these two bc they have their own charms and perfect attack of its own plot and twists. 

I started episode one and two (1-4) yesterday night and watched and finished episode three and four in my free time (5-8). I won't discuss all bc surely those members visiting here also have watched the episodes. I just want to give emphasis to the scenes, lines and characters that struck me most. 

Let me start with the patient's cases: 

Spoiler

IMG-20200515-153142.jpg

IMG-20200515-152234.jpg

Patient #1 Oh YuMin - A Somatic Symptom Disorder patient. 

Tx - Reverse Psychology 

Spoiler

IMG-20200515-154122.jpg

Patient #2 Cha Dong Il - A Delusional Disorder patient.

Tx-  Stage Therapy 

Spoiler

IMG-20200515-154125.jpg

Patient #3 Kim Yoo Ra - A Parasitic Personality Disorder patient. 

Tx - Psychotheraphy

Spoiler

IMG-20200515-154212.jpg

Patient #4 Park Lou - Visual Hallucinations patient

Tx- Psychotherapy and more

Spoiler

Screenshot-20200515-160628.jpg

Patient #5 Sung MinHo - Pica/Eating Disorder patient

Tx- Stage therapy 

Spoiler

Screenshot-20200515-162634.jpg

Patient #6 Hwang Bo Young - Eating Disorder 

Tx- Psychotherapy / Stage Therapy and more

Spoiler

IMG-20200515-154128.jpg

Patient #7 Han Woo Joo - Intermittent Explosive Disorder but suspectedly Borderline Personality Disorder patient. 

Tx- Psychotherapy 

FYI - Since the three Psychiatrists are anxious about BPD I research about this and Wikipedia says:

"Borderline personality disorder (BPD), also known as emotionally unstable personality disorder (EUPD), is a mental illness characterized by a long-term pattern of unstable relationships, distorted sense of self, and strong emotional reactions. Individuals often engage in self-harm and other dangerous behavior. "

Can it be fixed?  There is no cure for borderline personality disorder, and no matter how successful treatment might be, the risk of BPD symptoms returning is real and cannot be ignored. ... BPD symptoms tend to peak in young adulthood and gradually fade over time, to the point where they're no longer a feature of daily life. :bawling:

I love these lines:

"A human brain has about one hundred billion nerve cells.  And the neurotransmitters there alter our conscious state. Adrenaline is secreted when we are stressed and oxytocin strengththens our bond with others. Dopamine wakes us up and GABA calms us down....So the mind is the soul." 

"Everyone creates basement in their heart. And in that basement they hide their secrets. Things that other people don't know."

“Don’t measure yourself with standards set by others. Praise and reproach are all just a passing breeze. They don’t last.” 

“The moment you admit your pain, the healing begins.”

“People who hurt each other...usually aren’t strangers. Like family, lovers or friends, they are usually closer than anyone.” 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. Dropping by here to update that I did watch ep 5-6 yesterday but I can't stay focus on the story. I did deliberately distract myself with other things while watching because some of the scenes were a bit too relatable I am feeling so uncomfortable watching it. And today rather that watching the latest episode, I watched other contents and drama just to avoid watching it. I will eventually get to it because I am really rooting for Han Woo Joo to heal and be happy. I might need to re-watch ep 5-6 and then ep 7-8 during the weekend before posting my usual long rant here. If I feel the need to rant to get it out from my system. 

Before ending my post for now, I just thought of sharing this video I found on youtube. For context, the 3 youtubers are doctors and the one sitting in the middle is a psychiatrist. Some on his comment did shed some prejudice I had toward LSJ. 

Will look forward reading others thought about this week episodes. Happy weekend everyone and stay safe. :rolleyes:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

GUYYYYSSSSS 

help me please. Last episode, 7-8, what is the doctor’s problem with borderline? Any theories? Kisses from Brazil

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Larissa Louback said:

GUYYYYSSSSS 

help me please. Last episode, 7-8, what is the doctor’s problem with borderline? Any theories? Kisses from Brazil

I'm assuming it has to do with his patient who died 8 years ago.. they haven't  properly delved into that yet so we don't know much about why he has a problem with it. :)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Larissa Louback said:

GUYYYYSSSSS 

I think she is a dangerous one. At the end of the ep 8 i could understood she is really crazy. She can  engage in self-harm and other dangerous behavior

I think the patien he lost 8 years ago has the same sickness.

Han woo Joo is really sik. At the end of ep 8. I was surprised whit the last scene cause he realized what kind of patient she is. She is a dangerous one. I was like ..what? She burned her parents house cause she wanted their atention. 

Is really sad because is not as simple as a rage issue as i thougth. She has done many things to make sure people around her can noticed her, even she seems not to be awared  about her real condition. 

I realy hope he can help her and she can be happy some day. 

I have to say i realy apreciate JSM acting. 

® Colección de Gifs ®: IMÁGENES DE EMOTICONES GRANDES

This Drama is killing me. Is so harsh. 

• Like 4

Now, I am really curious about if and HOW they will develop a romantic relationship between a doctor and a patient. And, thinking about how serious is her borderline manifestation and how desperately she might need psychiatric help, I don’t get how it can be morally acceptable. Kinda confused but still reaaaally liking the drama! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Larissa Louback said:

Now, I am really curious about if and HOW they will develop a romantic relationship between a doctor and a patient. And, thinking about how serious is her borderline manifestation and how desperately she might need psychiatric help, I don’t get how it can be morally acceptable. Kinda confused but still reaaaally liking the drama! 

Well the first question is - was there any mentioning about a romantic relationship in this drama?  I thought it was just a story about how the doctor helps his patients?  :ph34r:

I was also wondering about the Borderline Personality Disorder. Thanks to  @Sakurafairy for mentioning it here since I'm just a layperson interested in the story.   Something new to know.

• Like 4

Well I’m not sure if they will make a romantic relationship. Honestly, hope not. Even tho sometimes I can feel some hints I think it’s just because the doctor has intimacy with all his patients. Borderline is really serious and it manifests itself in different extensions, depending on the person. “Girl, Interrupted”, the Angelina Jolie movie, shows a lot of borderline patients. I recommend to the ones interested in knowing a little bit more of how the symptoms of this disorder change people’s life and behavior.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

I have been watching the drama since it aired and wanted to give my two cents.

First of all i love Jung Somin.

And more importantly i think her last two dramas were 9-10/10 dramas for me so i was very excited about what she would do next. Well i was pretty disappointed that she went with a kbs drama. And it didn't exactly sound very promising either. There is just so much that can go wrong with the topic despite good intentions. A part of me wanted to stay optimistic because there has to be something that drawed her to the script and project.

This were my thoughts after the first episode.

To put it short.. It is kbs quality (which is not good) but it has Jung Somin. I really wish she would have chosen a cable drama.
The first scene already tells you a lot about the drama. It was funny but it already shows how they are going to treat the subject. It is kinda the typical eccentric doctor has unusual methods and goes all the way to treat his patients drama.  

There has to be a middle ground between filling up your patient with meds and going around town playing cop with him..

And while the drama might help to reduce the stigma about mental health i am not sure if it really normalizes it because all the patients are those rather obscure cases. While more common diagnoses like anxiety disorders, depression, ptsd, etc are yet to be found. A drama like doctor treats all kinds of special cases here can still be good. I just prefer how they depict the medial stuff in Hospital Playlist. It just puts it on a different level for me. The sense of realism also elevates the emotional weight.
Anyway.. Jung Somin is stunning and even more so that we see her as a more glamorous character (at times). I'll probably just watch it for her. And gosh the situation at the awards show... I'd lose it too  :D
I kinda hope it's going to be more about her journey, the healing part and some slice of life elements. Not that much about the patients stories.

Some additional thoughts now.

It got already mentioned multiple times how highly inappropiate the doctors behavior was. I am glad that it got at least adressed as a legitimate concern and the drama didn't portray it as the superiors only care about going by books.

Jung Somin's performance is great. At first i wasn't too sure if she hits the right beats or if it would play into this comedic "crazy" female lead archetype.

But she really got me with that beach scene.

Or the scene after she was getting fired and was counting to control her emotions.

There have been other great scenes since. I think she does a wonderful job and it is just so easy to hit the wrong note for this kind of character.

I am invested in her character and journey. That is really what makes the drama for me.

He has grown on me since the first episodes and i think he fits his character archetype really well. And they are great together. 

I just don't really care about him treating the other patients or their stories. 

But bringing the Jung Somin character to it with the stage therapy etc makes that stuff better as well.

In terms of romance i agree with the majority here. Please not! I don't nessecarily care about the age gap but a psychiatrist - patient relationship is just such a no go. 

A small spoiler. I've read that the drama is based on

Spoiler

the Bollywood film Dear Zindagi. I havent watched that movie but if they go by the movie it means she has a crush on him but it never develops into an actual romance. That would be completely fine with me.

I wouldn't mind a romance of him and the other psychiatrist. I liked the little bit of story we got there so far.

For her it really should be about healing. I wouldn't mind a romance as a sideplot with someone else later on but it shouldn't take over the plot. Oh she is mentally ill but gets healed because she falls in love would be the worst.

I just have to mention this again..

Out of all the possible common mental health issues they picked those exotic ones that have plastic depictions like bugs and fake cops and would intrigue viewers the most. It does feel like they just want to wow viewers and not like they want to normalize mental health issues. It actually does the opposite. Everyone watching is going to think "well i am not that crazy".

Oh and how they always put the emphasis on it is about healing the soul which sounds nice, sure. But it also makes it seem llike it is not a real medical problem like let's say breaking your leg. It puts the treatment in this wishy washy territory. 

The depiction is why for me the drama is ultimately a failure in its core.

It can still be enjoyable. And i hope that they can tell a compelling story for the Jung Somin character. And i do enjoy that part and try to ignore the other.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Larissa Louback said:

Well I’m not sure if they will make a romantic relationship. Honestly, hope not. Even tho sometimes I can feel some hints I think it’s just because the doctor has intimacy with all his patients. Borderline is really serious and it manifests itself in different extensions, depending on the person. “Girl, Interrupted”, the Angelina Jolie movie, shows a lot of borderline patients. I recommend to the ones interested in knowing a little bit more of how the symptoms of this disorder change people’s life and behavior.

Oh,  I also not rooting for a love story between Shi-joon sem and Woo Joo ssi. I think  the plot will be better if a romance will not develop. But let's see more. 

Yup,  BPD is such a scary illness. It will affect your whole being. I hope people suffering from BPD and from all mental disorders will not lose hope. :)

• Like 3

I merely wanted to check out this drama umm yesterday because it has Jung So Min in it and well, here I am, all caught up, lol. I have never even heard of the guy playing the doctor, let alone seen him in anything. But I think they're both great. Actually, the entire cast is great. I don't know anyone else watching it so I came on here to find out what other people think. Wow, very varied responses! I am not a psychiatrist so I can't tell you if this or that is correct or not. But the overall vibe I get from the drama is a warm and empowering one. It shows that everyone has some problems, and yes, some people are actually ill. But the message I get from it is that being sick doesn't mean you are worthless. It just means that you are sick. And there are people who actually are there to help you, but you have to take the first step to accept the fact that you need help. I love how they keep underlining the fact that even if you are broken or sick in some ways, you still are a person of worth, you still have talents and things that you can do in the world. The doctor is constantly trying to fill up his patients this way, to help them acknowledge their illness but also acknowledge their strengths. And, just because he's the doctor doesn't mean that he has all the answers and has no problems in his life. Because he also needs help. We don't know what happened to the other person with BPD in his life, but he has not recovered from it. 

To me, the overall message the drama sends is, it's okay to be sick or broken. It's okay to seek help. And even if you are sick, that's not really YOU. That's a condition. But YOU still have strengths and worth. To me it's an empowering drama. 

I really liked how, even though she seemed to be making slow progress at first, you could still see JSM's character trying the things she had learned. And then offering that same advice back to others when they needed it. I really liked seeing that growth. It makes her a complex character, too. On the one hand she's falling apart because boy, BPD is difficult. But at the same time, you see just how HARD she is trying, how generous a person she is when she's not plagued by her issues. I don't think they sugarcoat her issues, but you do get to see her good side, too. When she started giving the doctor all his advice back, not to be a smart aleck, but because she believed it would actually help him...aw, I really felt that.

As for a love line, I...don't know about that. It's a drama, they usually have romance, but I don't know if that is the way this is going. It would be a bit weird to have the doctor and patient get together, and there is a noticeable age gap as well. I don't think it's necessary. I think it can still be a warm drama where each person is instrumental in helping the person next to them heal. She helps the patients in the exercise class while he helps her, which in turn helps him acknowledge he has a problem. He goes to the doctor who wants to treat him, and through this chain reaction, they all get the healing they need. 

Er...sorry for the novel. :D I watched it straight through and it is still full in my head...

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

First Impression: Fix You | Episodes 1-4

It’s always a sensitive territory when a drama tackles mental health. It’s hard to strike a balance between portraying a mental health patient and romanticizing anxiety, depression, or trauma. By this time we all know the thin line between depicting the reality of mental health and making the plot more intriguing for the audience to follow.

I have watched the first two hours of Fix You and here’s my initial impression: I like it. Han Woo-joo (Jung So-min) is a theater actress with some serious anger management issues. She had been climbing her way up in the industry and finally got her much deserved award only to be ruined by a very unfortunate incident. Jung So-min’s acting in the drama is really good I’m afraid she’ll have to carry the entire show on her back. I know I said I liked the first four episodes but my main concern lies with the male lead character, psychiatrist Lee Shi-joon (Shin Ha-kyun).

I was not really sure with the way Dr. Lee was treating his patients. I particularly didn’t like how he handled his patient Cha Dong-il (Kim Dong-young) and how the hospital security was so lax that patients who were admitted could just come and go whenever they like – even to the point of cosplaying as a police officer. Because of him, Woo-joo’s life turned upside down! I couldn’t blame the patient obviously. It just pained me to watch Woo-joo’s dreams turned to ashes because of Dr. Lee’s irresponsibility and the hospital’s poor security measures.

I can’t wait to watch the next episodes and see whether my impression with Dr. Lee would change. I know there are layers to his character that has yet to be explored in the drama. I was intrigued by the hints from the other doctors. Is Dr. Lee a patient as well?

What I’m looking forward the most is my girl Woo-joo’s path to healing. For someone who’s also struggling with anxiety and anger management problems, I hope that her character development will be handled well in this drama. I felt her pain whenever she counted from one to six and her angst whenever she fumed with anger.  I’m also excited about all the other mental health issues that will be raised in the next episodes.

Full article: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/05/19/first-impression-fix-you-episodes-1-4/

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Chingudeul, wanna participate in KBS Drama contest about this drama Fix You? 

:wub: 이벤트<<< 이벤트>> 9-12 episodes of :wub:영< 본 본 (last) event 이벤트
If you watch episode 9-12 today and tomorrow, you'll get a soul mending man 'Sign Script and Sign Poster'!
How to Participate: Take a proof shot of watching the show on May 20th (9-10th) and 21st (11-12th) and post it on your Instagram account with hashtag #spirited #spirit_watch! If you share <Soul Sailor공 content or summon a friend, the odds of winning will be up!
Gift: Sign script, sign poster
※ Precautions
✔ You can participate in the program on the 20th and 21st.
✔ If you delete the participating posts after winning, the winning will be invalid.
✔ You can participate in this event only on Instagram.
✔ When participating in the event, please make sure to reveal the entire account.
✔ You may be excluded from the draw if you confirm that you have an account for participating in the event.
✔ Only domestic shipping is allowed for prizes, but if there is no domestic address, the winning will be invalid.
The winner of the ✔ will be announced at the end of May.
#KBS drama #Soulless #Soulless #Shin Ha-kyun #Jung So-min #Tas

• Like 2

I guess yesterday's episode clearly showed us what BPD really is.  I got a little scared to see how a BPD's patient desperately wanted to be noticed.  The momen when he clasped his hand on hers and her facial expression changed .... I'm worried for him in the future.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Tonight's 

Spoiler

Credit to the owner

• Like 3

Jung Somin is carrying this drama so hard. I can finally see why she picked this project. It is her most challenging role so far.

• Like 3