[Drama 2020] Fix You / Soul Repairer, 영혼수선공

0ly40

Here's another adult drama which deals with people's psyche, mental issues.  

But looking at poster, I'm wary. It's a medical drama but look fluffy light rom-com type. 

Please be a serious drama and well written.

May 5, 2020
by S. P

Shin Ha Kyun and Jung So Min sat down with fashion magazine Arena and shared their hopes for KBS’s upcoming drama “Fix You.”

“Fix You” will tell the story of psychiatrists who believe in “healing” rather than “curing” their patients. The drama aims to shed light on common mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, panic disorder, trauma, schizophrenia, alcoholism, and more, without judgement. “Fix You” will also showcase how anyone can have mental health concerns and receive help from a psychiatrist.

Shin Ha Kyun will star as Lee Shi Joon, a psychiatrist who is willing to go above and beyond the call of duty to treat his patients, while Jung So Min will star as his patient Han Woo Joo.

The two shared, “We hope that this drama will help people feel less ashamed about healing the pain in their hearts, even just a little bit.”

Read more:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398280wpp/shin-ha-kyun-and-jung-so-min-share-their-wish-for-upcoming-drama-fix-you

May 5, 2020
by J. Lim

Upcoming KBS 2TV Wednesday-Thursday drama “Fix You” has shared new stills of Jung So Min facing one of the greatest difficulties of her life.

“Fix You” is set to tell the story of psychiatrists who believe in “healing,” rather than “curing,” their patients. The drama aims to shed light on common mental health concerns such as anxiety, depression, panic disorder, trauma, schizophrenia, alcoholism, and more, without judgment. With diverse patient and doctor pairings, “Fix You” will also showcase how anyone can have mental health concerns and receive help from a psychiatrist.

The new stills show Jung So Min as musical actress Han Woo Joo, winning the Best Rookie Musical Actress award at the Korea Musical Awards. She is unable to hold back her emotions as 10 years of living in obscurity seem to have finally paid off as she is recognized for her talents. However, that happiness is short-lived when an unexpected situation throws the moment into chaos. Han Woo Joo doesn’t seem to know how to process everything, but her emotions quickly turn into rage as the greatest moment in her life suddenly becomes a nightmare.

There is also a still showing psychiatrist Lee Shi Joon (Shin Ha Kyun) looking shocked as he is on the phone with someone. It remains to be seen what causes him to stop in his tracks and stand still with his mouth agape.

Jung-So-Min-Shin-Ha-Kyun.jpg

The production staff of “Fix You” stated, “Right when Han Woo Joo is experiencing something she’d only dreamed of as a musical actress, she faces the greatest crisis in her life. Please tune in to see what happens to her, and how she comes to know Lee Shi Joon.”

“Fix You” is set to premiere on May 6.

Source (1)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1398429wpp/jung-so-min-watches-in-anger-as-moment-of-dreams-quickly-turns-sour-in-fix-you

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm soo happy this drama is FINALLY airing this week. Jun So MIn is lovely to watch and Shin Ha Kyun is always good.  As I've gotten older, I'm really enjoying quiet romances or drams that are not over the top but dealing with people just dealing with regular issues. This is going to be good. It has to be. 

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] Fix You / Soul Repairer, 영혼수선공 - Wed & Thu @ 22:00 KST

The drama can’t show a romanticized vision of such a sensitive agenda, so it will be a hard task to make it light and cute. But, even tho subjects like mental disorders are always polemic and painful to the public, i am really curious about this show. I really loved the choices of actors, that is TALENT. I hope the writers can make the relationships grow with beautiful bittersweet scenes and, my greatest expectation, show that psychologic help is NEEDED. Take care of yourself and respect people’s mental health and states/conformation of mind. To Be a great human, you don’t need to be totally fixed, but for some maintenance, look for professional help. Loved the first ep and the psychiatrist happiness!! 

Hi everyone here. I am just dropping by because I need to get this out from my system. Or maybe I should wait for 6 seconds.

I did enjoy for most part of the episode. Most of it just a setup to create connection between the characters. Some trope here and there. But some scenes felt so unsettling and I cannot just give it a pass. Disclaimer, I am not in any relation with medical field, so this is only my opinion and what I feel. I am in no way to discredit any of the medical officer depicted because I am just a watcher who only knows the context that has been feed to me. English is not my first language, pardon me if any of the sentences feel weird or disconnected. It is a pretty long rant and you may skip if you want.

First in the scene with the somatic patient (cameo by Wi Ha Joon). As of my understanding, when dealing with someone with mental health, they can be unstable at some point especially when exposed to what that can triggered them. While I do understand that they are his doctor, they do know his condition and medical history, isn't is a bit too much to actually hold the machine (the one used to amputate limbs) right in front of his face. While this is only for the work of fiction and they may exaggerate, it just trigger me at some point. I wouldn't mind as much if the patient is not someone with mental health history, but we do know he's got mental health problem based on the dialogue before that and how Lee Shi Joon play the situation. I couldn't help feeling unsettled even though knowing it just played for the comedy.

Second, during the scene when Lee Shi Joon went patrolling with the police officer. While watching the scene, I thought that the officer is actually a patient of his, but when he thank Lee Shi Joon for accompanying him, my thought just went, Oh. Maybe this is just public service thingie that he volunteers to help patrol officer patrolling the neighborhood just like in other drama. Cut to scene LSJ being reprimanded by his superiors, we know the fact that the police officer is indeed a patient and did causes various problems before. I mean, I get it it. The drama want to expose us about delusional disorder, but does he need to play as police officer? With elaborate gears that makes him actually look like one? By enabling him with his delusion, LSJ does not only exposed the patient to danger, but also the public. Police officer is someone with power, and people who doesn't know that he is a fake might believe in him and depend on him. That really doesn't sit well with me.

And the previous scene lead to the other problem when the patient run away from the hospital, impersonate as a police officer AGAIN with full gear and actually get to ride on a police bus and end up at the Musical Award. Nobody paid any attention towards him and he played the role well that the other officer believes that he is a REAL officer. That just feed my fear further, and I can imagine all what is going to happen that I actually skip the scene on the stage because I can't stomach it well. Little did I know that the next scene infuriates me more. LSJ manage to find him at the venue, PLAY  the situation along trying to played it down, IMPERSONATING as officer himself when he should know that cross the line since there are other people present. And it was definitely doesn't go well when the patient actually put the another handcuff on LSJ, accusing him for impersonating as officer when he is actually his doctor. If I was in Han Woo Joo place, I will be totally dumbfounded, trying to make sense what is happening, who should I trust while trying to stay calm myself because everything happened not only in front of huge audience, but also being filmed and broadcast throughout the country.

At that point, I couldn't help feeling outrageous towards LSJ and thinking how on earth did he enable all his patients deed. Delaying the missing report, trying to fix the problem himself that lead to bigger problem, and my mind go through a lot of other scenarios that should be presented instead of what happened. While trying to calm myself down, this is a work of fiction, they tend to exaggerate things, this plot is just a device to connect the characters together, I felt mad at myself for normalizing this even though this is just a drama. 

We are just 1 (or 2 episodes in) and I really hope it will only get better. At this point, I want to know more on LSJ and his background story so that I can to a certain degree make peace with his action and decision as a psychiatrist. And I really do not want to drop this drama because I am already loving Han Woo Joo and wants nothing but a happy life for her. Props to Jung So Min. :wub: I am also looking forward for more Park Ye Jin. I didn't watch lots of her project, but I do love her during her Family Outing stint. 

I am looking forward to read for others' thoughts on this drama. With this, I end my looooong rant. Thank you for reading. :)

@kdramagrandma Thanks for your thoughts.  In my previous post I mentioned  I'm wary of this drama somehow.  For medical dramas, I don't lke it done silly. I always expect medical dramas to be serious. I read that Shin Ha Kyun's character is that of an eccentric pyschiatrist. I guess,  he'll resort to  out of the blue weird things. The eccentricities.

I just finished episode one. 

As a pyschiatrist LSJ ( Shin Ha Kyun character) always has this 'building a rapport' with his patients.  The football player (patient who think he hs physical illness), the "patrol officer" (patient who has gone AWOL think he's real law enforcer),  woman with dermatitis (patient keeps scratching skin. thinks  bug coming out of skin, hence  she keeps spraying bug spray). I think that's his style.  He's always doing the reverse pyschology with his patients. It's good to be friendly with your patients however there's still boundaries and medical ethics doctors are bound and sworn to do.

LJS have three patients with the common sympton  which is Delusional Disorder.

From Harvard Health

Delusional disorder is classified as a psychotic disorder, a disorder where a person has trouble recognizing reality. Also has symptoms type . There are several types of delusions: persecutory, erotic, grandiose, jealous or somatic (that is, delusions about the body). People with delusional disorder usually do not have hallucinations or a major problem with mood. Unlike people with schizophrenia, they tend not to have major problems with day-to-day functioning. Other than behaviors related to delusional content, they do not appear odd.  When hallucinations do occur, they are part of the delusional belief. For example, someone who has the delusion that internal organs are rotting may hallucinate smells or sensations related to that delusion. If functioning is impaired, it is usually a direct result of the delusion. Therefore, the disorder may be detected only by observing behavior that is a consequence of the belief.

Please check the spoilers to see several types of delusion. It's helpful because the three patients of LSH suffering from these sympton. I suspect HJW  too. 

Spoiler

from Harvard Health

Symptoms

The main symptom is a persistent delusion or delusions (a fixed belief) – for example, about a situation, condition or action – that is not happening but may be plausible in real life. Types include:

• Erotomanic – Delusion of a special, loving relationship with another person, usually someone famous or of higher standing. (This kind of delusion is sometimes at the root of stalking behavior.)
  • Grandiose – Delusion that the person has a special power or ability, or a special relationship with a powerful person or figure, such as the president, a celebrity or the Pope.
  • Jealous – Delusion that a sexual partner is being unfaithful.
  • Persecutory – Delusion that the person is being threatened or maltreated.
  • Somatic – Delusion of having a physical illness or defect

And for HWJ (Jung So Min character) she's seeing psychiatrist JYW. She's been agaravated before by another  star, she tries to  keep her anger in check by counting up to six ( was suggested). But she broke down angry and  even became violent (smashing the car window) when she found out her male reporter friend used their closeness to get a scoop about her and have them played on air. The events of that night... getting arrested by  the  "fake cop" (the patient who sneak out of the hospital) due to failing the breathalyzer.  She did drink but it was the day before.  At the police station, she  screamed and insisted to have blood and alcohol test. She felt wronged. As it turns out  fake cop patient  used a broken breatlyzer so the reading was always 0.8. Then with what happened with the male friend.. it pushed her anger.

Talking to her psychiatris JYW said "everyone creates a basement in their heart. And in that basement, they hide their secrets. Things that other people dont know. What are you hiding in your basement?"

HJW disorder according to her pyschiatrist:  Suspected Intermitent Disorder.  Suspicious boderline disorder

cr:

8 hours ago, kdramagrandma said:

First in the scene with the somatic patient (cameo by Wi Ha Joon). As of my understanding, when dealing with someone with mental health, they can be unstable at some point especially when exposed to what that can triggered them. While I do understand that they are his doctor, they do know his condition and medical history, isn't is a bit too much to actually hold the machine (the one used to amputate limbs) right in front of his face. While this is only for the work of fiction and they may exaggerate, it just trigger me at some point. I wouldn't mind as much if the patient is not someone with mental health history, but we do know he's got mental health problem based on the dialogue before that and how Lee Shi Joon play the situation. I couldn't help feeling unsettled even though knowing it just played for the comedy.

The  way LSJ dealt  with the situation,  he did it so in his own weird way. I agree with you. And that will never happen in real life. But this is drama..so I guess writer is showing his character through the scene which.

From an article I read the drama's character will show show “healing,” rather than “curing,” their patients. He gave his own example to  the fake cop patient. This is how he builds rapport. He shared story. Telling him he wanted to be cop make make his grand mother proud but did noty happen as  his grandma died so he said he stole a cop's uniform and wore it  during the funeral.

I like Jung So Min. She's good.  After watching episode one. As HWJ, she's down to earth musical actress. Survived the industry,  hard working. Yes she's too kind  generous. But I think she's going to break down even more.

cr:

From the preview it looks like LSJ is building rapport with  HWJ... as his typical style. Oh but he's not her pyschiatrist...yet. But I think  he'll be the one to make her open up.

Looking forward to check episode 2 ( ep 3&4 as it's 30 minutes).

I think this is Ha Kyun's second drama with KBS in a medical field LoL? I first thought it was So Min of Running Man & then I re-read it. It's Jung NOT Jeon ha-ha!

Anyways, I like this so far. Ha Kyun's character reminds me of the movie Patch Adams. Where he treats his patients humanely. I feel for So Min, she's obviously got a lot of pent-up anger/tension. I'm also curious to know more on the dermatitis patient.   

@kdramagrandma agree with you! His methods especially with the first patient who wanted to get his leg amputated was a bit ott!

I do get that he's trying to build a rapport with the patient etc and rather than going straight to medication he wants to heal them in a different way and I like that. It's just sad that the fake officer patient messed up woo joo's award speech! It shows the cons of the psychiatrists methods- he's ended up potentially ruining someone else's life!! And yea him playing along with the patient dude at the awards like wtf?! Not really a fan of lsj's character atm!

I feel for hwj's character and that last scene with the car smashing- Jung so min was amazing!! Best scene of the ep!! It brought me to tears! She has always been great it's sad to see her not rated highly enough or as popular as some of the other actresses!

P.s I hope there is no romance between the 2 leads though I just don't see that sort of relationship between the 2. This drama doesn't really need a romance angle it's just about healing as a person, individually, there's no need to add the romance to it. But that's just my opinion. Looking forward to today's ep.

Since there are several actors in this drama that I admire, I watched the first episode.  Honestly, it left me feeling a bit icky--kinda like I had gone someplace I wished I had not and then couldn't get the scent off my skin.

I'm guessing that they are trying to see the "light" side of mental illness--maybe like Kill Me Heal Me did.  But, you know what, the only reason I watched that drama was for Ji Sung, and I still felt icky about it.  Also reminded me of It's Okay That's Love, and that was so uncomfortably icky that I could Not make it past four episodes.  Icky. 

It's not good that the only word I can think of is Icky.  I wanted to like this and I'll try another episode or two but it makes me feel.....icky.

I am NOT saying that mental illness is icky; however, the way this subject is being handled IS.

Eps 3/4 Lee shi joon was slightly better and I quite liked him compared to the previous episodes but I'm still on the fence with his character!

Poor woo joo can't catch a break can she! Probably will be like that for a while before it starts looking up for her. But I'm looking forward to her working at the hospital! 

Every episode has a meaningful message that really sets the episode. 

25 minutes ago, Mymindisblank said:

Eps 3/4 Lee shi joon was slightly better and I quite liked him compared to the previous episodes but I'm still on the fence with his character!

Same here. I don't like LSJ character too.  After watchng the first scene of eps 1/2.. Ugh.  I'd have expected better.  Shin Ha Kyun's character suppose to be eccentric but for a pyschiatrist character, seing doctor with machine to amputate a leg and knowing that he suffers from somatic  symptom is increduolus. Like I said, that scene will never happen in real life.  I like medical dramas to be serious and not goofy. Before this premiered I had doubts ( and after seeing the poster). Had high expectations for this. I'll check another episode. As much as I like the lead stars,  feel of this drama is not something that appeals in my drama viewing psyche.

I do like HWJ.. I like Jung So Min character.

1 hour ago, jongski said:

Same here. I don't like LSJ character too.  After watchng the first scene of eps 1/2.. Ugh.  I'd have expected better.  Shin Ha Kyun's character suppose to be eccentric but for a pyschiatrist character, seing doctor with machine to amputate a leg and knowing that he suffers from somatic  symptom is increduolus. Like I said, that scene will never happen in real life.  I like medical dramas to be serious and not goofy. Before this premiered I had doubts ( and after seeing the poster). Had high expectations for this. I'll check another episode. As much as I like the lead stars,  feel of this drama is not something that appeals in my drama viewing psyche.

I do like HWJ.. I like Jung So Min character.

Exactly!! And they're dealing with mental health issues so I don't like the comedy when it's a serious scene! They should tone down the comic relief element and make it a bit more serious! 

Best character has been han woo joo eps 1-4 she's had show stealing scenes! Only started this because of jung so min and I'll probably only continue for her as well! But tbf the drama hasn't been so bad I quite like it it's just lsj I'm not too fond of atm. 

Hi guys. I just finish watching episode 3-4. I want to try quoting people who replied to my post ( @Mymindisblank, @jongski) but I am afraid this post going to be too long as I do have tendency to rant and I want to include the replies with my thought on episode 3-4. 

After watching the latest episode, I am able to accept LSJ but not fully. There is still some questionable things about him and his method. We do know now that he is the face of the hospital, won some awards, so he must be a good and capable psychiatrists. However, because of that too that he is able to go through those questionable method, and the hospital has let him off not just once but a few times when problems occurred. I am glad that his superior actually raise the issue maybe that his method this time around when dealing with the delusional patient is not working and he did not brush it off easily this time around. But the way LSJ finally respond with utmost confidence that his method is not wrong just put me off a tad bit. The delusional patient arc ended a little bit too nicely that I can't feel like it is totally believable and instead it feels like the writer just want to end it quickly it so we can move on with the main plot. However, I really do hope that he can move on with life without huge relapse or setback.

I feel like LSJ eccentricities tendency is related to his own trauma. He works himself to death, purposely volunteering taking other doctor's shift, is just like a scream of help instead. Or he actually trying to forget his own pain. Even looking at his room full with books tell me that he uses most of his time focusing on his researches and his patients. He also go beyond his means by personally injecting himself into his patient's daily life. He doesn't even know where to go when he got free time for himself. It was a bit comforting knowing that he screens through his patient and just accepting patients within his means. I guess we will go through why he decline patient with borderline personality disorder along this drama once he starts treating HWJ and makes it a healing drama. My hope is just that the eccentric quirk he has wouldn't be use as comedic relief anymore and just use it for moments like during when he cheer for the soccer player to make the kick. In my opinion, that scene uses his eccentricities appropriately. I guess at this point I can reason myself enough to accept LSJ, BUT that doesn't mean that I can accept what had happened in episode 1-2. Episode 1-2 is exaggerated far too much for my own liking. He still got a long way to go to make me fully accepting him. No amount of trying to build therapeutic relationship can brush it off. 

About HWJ, my heart just breaks for her. I feel like I want more of her on my screen. Her struggles really resonate with me and makes me want to care for her. After knowing that she actually tried to suicide based on the scar on her wrist, I want nothing but for her to heal and find peace. Then during her scene at the beach kinda seal the deal. I might try to go through this drama even if it makes me feel uncomfortable (forward button will be my best friend during those times) just so that I know she will get happiness that she rightfully deserve. I am looking forward for her to undergo treatment with LSJ, and just like what others had said, I am hoping they will strictly maintain a professional friendship and no romantic feelings involved in between. Just please, no romance. My Mister is still a great healing drama, in my own opinion and it works even without romance.Thank you.

Another scene that I personally love, during the broadcast LSJ did, when he said, The moment you admit your pain, the healing begins at the end of the broadcast. It will get too personal if I dive through why I love it,  but I love it the most in episode 3-4 as it gives a sense of hope that things will get better.

I guess that is the end for my rant. Thank you for all who spent your precious time reading it and I hope it all make sense. I am still feeling a bit inferior with my English. Looking forward for the discussions here and I will definitely be lurking around. Have a good day/night wherever you are. :)

@kdramagrandma first of all your English is amazing!!! Don't feel inferior! Second of all rant away!! I like reading everyone's post.

I feel like lsj has a stubborn streak so if things don't go his way he will try and try again by hook or crook to make it happen even if some of his methods are unethical!

But yea I feel this is because of his own trauma so he wants to help his patients no matter what the cost! Maybe someone in his past had an illness and he/she didn't survive due it or something who knows. He needs some healing as well and maybe through helping hwj he can heal properly himself. Just please no romance between them:sweatingbullets: First time I'm asking for no romance between leads or at all in this drama :lol::lol:

True about the delusional patient! But he let himself get discharged rather than getting treated at another hospital so wasnt lsj's fault but I feel maybe later on he might have a relapse.

And yes yes yes to him only being eccentric and adding a comic relief element when it isn't mental health related such as the soccer scene! That was a nice scene.

To be honest I already felt like forwarding some of lsj scenes in these episodes but I didn't! Hope we get more of the other characters especially the hospital lot that work with him!

7 minutes ago, Mymindisblank said:

@kdramagrandma first of all your English is amazing!!! Don't feel inferior! Second of all rant away!! I like reading everyone's post.

I feel like lsj has a stubborn streak so if things don't go his way he will try and try again by hook or crook to make it happen even if some of his methods are unethical!

But yea I feel this is because of his own trauma so he wants to help his patients no matter what the cost! Maybe someone in his past had an illness and he/she didn't survive due it or something who knows. He needs some healing as well and maybe through helping hwj he can heal properly himself. Just please no romance between them:sweatingbullets: First time I'm asking for no romance between leads or at all in this drama :lol::lol:

True about the delusional patient! But he let himself get discharged rather than getting treated at another hospital so wasnt lsj's fault but I feel maybe later on he might have a relapse.

And yes yes yes to him only being eccentric and adding a comic relief element when it isn't mental health related such as the soccer scene! That was a nice scene.

To be honest I already felt like forwarding some of lsj scenes in these episodes but I didn't! Hope we get more of the other characters especially the hospital lot that work with him!

Thank you for the compliment. :rolleyes: English is not my first language and I feel rather inferior with my writing skill cause I did took several English proficiency tests before and while I am able to score high marks for other components, I barely got an average for writing component. Grammar never is my strong suit and I have a strong love-hate relationship with grammar that while it make sense when I took english lessons, I'll immediately forget about it when lessons ended. :sweatingbullets: Sorry in advance if there is any grammar nazi here. I just hope that I articulate my thoughts accurately in my long rant and person who reads it understand what I want to deliver.

I manage not to skip any scenes today but I kinda divert my attention to something else when I am feeling uncomfortable. Especially the scene when LSJ meet I assume the hospital director and also the rooftop scene where it feels so stage-y and it really was. I don't know whether to accept that kind of method or not even though it ended with a good note. I am worried about HWJ because we can assume she had suicidal tendency before, and even with the mattresses there at the bottom, I can't not feeling worried about her.

1 hour ago, kdramagrandma said:

Thank you for the compliment. :rolleyes: English is not my first language and I feel rather inferior with my writing skill cause I did took several English proficiency tests before and while I am able to score high marks for other components, I barely got an average for writing component. Grammar never is my strong suit and I have a strong love-hate relationship with grammar that while it make sense when I took english lessons, I'll immediately forget about it when lessons ended. :sweatingbullets: Sorry in advance if there is any grammar nazi here. I just hope that I articulate my thoughts accurately in my long rant and person who reads it understand what I want to deliver.

I manage not to skip any scenes today but I kinda divert my attention to something else when I am feeling uncomfortable. Especially the scene when LSJ meet I assume the hospital director and also the rooftop scene where it feels so stage-y and it really was. I don't know whether to accept that kind of method or not even though it ended with a good note. I am worried about HWJ because we can assume she had suicidal tendency before, and even with the mattresses there at the bottom, I can't not feeling worried about her.

Aww well your English seems good to me!! 

Omg yes you just made me realise that!! That just seems cruel to hwj! Asking someone who he himself knows has been suicidal since he saw her scar on her wrist, to pretend to jump off a building is wrong! Even if it is to help someone else! 

Gonna start with episode 4(7/8) because that was such a dumb move by that psychiatrist gong ji hee! Taking the patient to the convenience store because of her 'daughter' don't the hospital know about the family etc since they have to keep in contact with them plus they see them visiting the hospital?? And then to leave her to go inside by herself wouldn't you go inside with her?!! She's your patient and you stay with her at all times especially when you're doing something which isn't allowed! Also they've just had police come to search up the place and she goes and does something right after which could affect them?! Ridiculous! She's clearly doing what Lee si joon does and look what happened it bit her in the ar**! Just like it does to him!

Anyways I liked the 2 episodes. Some revelations to the backstories of the main leads!  Quite sad about dr Lee's dad! From being a successful doctor/surgeon to now being the patient:(.

Liking Dr Lee now abit more aha he's calmed down with his ott methods for now! Getting a more sombre tone from him.

I'm not gonna lie because of that dumb move by ji hee in ep 4 I've forgotten what happened in the 2 episodes so I can't even say much about them right now.:lol::sweatingbullets:

Archived