[Drama 2020] Alice, 앨리스

larus

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I watched the first half of this drama but then dropped it coz I thought it was heading to some confusion. And as I can see from your comments, that's where it went.  I found an article in the internet that reminds me of this story and probably most confusing crazy movies and dramas.

Spoiler

@foreverempress

2 hours ago, brooksmom said:

I watched the first half of this drama but then dropped it coz I thought it was heading to some confusion. And as I can see from your comments, that's where it went.  I found an article in the internet that reminds me of this story and probably most confusing crazy movies and dramas.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/grandfather_paradox.html#:~:text=A baby girl is mysteriously

Reveal hidden contents

Perhaps the craziest of the time travel paradoxes was cooked up by Robert Heinlein in his classic short story "All You Zombies."

A baby girl is mysteriously dropped off at an orphanage in Cleveland in 1945. "Jane" grows up lonely and dejected, not knowing who her parents are, until one day in 1963 she is strangely attracted to a drifter. She falls in love with him. But just when things are finally looking up for Jane, a series of disasters strike. First, she becomes pregnant by the drifter, who then disappears. Second, during the complicated delivery, doctors find that Jane has both sets of sex organs, and to save her life, they are forced to surgically convert "her" to a "him." Finally, a mysterious stranger kidnaps her baby from the delivery room.

Reeling from these disasters, rejected by society, scorned by fate, "he" becomes a drunkard and drifter. Not only has Jane lost her parents and her lover, but he has lost his only child as well. Years later, in 1970, he stumbles into a lonely bar, called Pop's Place, and spills out his pathetic story to an elderly bartender. The sympathetic bartender offers the drifter the chance to avenge the stranger who left her pregnant and abandoned, on the condition that he join the "time travelers corps." Both of them enter a time machine, and the bartender drops off the drifter in 1963. The drifter is strangely attracted to a young orphan woman, who subsequently becomes pregnant.

The bartender then goes forward 9 months, kidnaps the baby girl from the hospital, and drops off the baby in an orphanage back in 1945. Then the bartender drops off the thoroughly confused drifter in 1985, to enlist in the time travelers corps. The drifter eventually gets his life together, becomes a respected and elderly member of the time travelers corps, and then disguises himself as a bartender and has his most difficult mission: a date with destiny, meeting a certain drifter at Pop's Place in 1970.

The question is: Who is Jane's mother, father, grandfather, grand mother, son, daughter, granddaughter, and grandson? The girl, the drifter, and the bartender, of course, are all the same person. These paradoxes can made your head spin, especially if you try to untangle Jane's twisted parentage. If we draw Jane's family tree, we find that all the branches are curled inward back on themselves, as in a circle. We come to the astonishing conclusion that she is her own mother and father! She is an entire family tree unto herself.

@Sleepy Owl , @joccu  @foreverempress

Girl! I have a new rule which is first time writers have to write at least 7 competent dramas before I view their show. Kairos technically has a first time writer so I am being cautious as it is a time-bending drama as well.

On 10/26/2020 at 5:15 PM, Sleepy Owl said:

I would prefer them to go with alternate timelines. With every change you do in the past, an alternate timeline is creates which will not affect your past self's future.

That was what I thought they were going with and it made sense in the earlier episodes...but something changed?  I don’t know why they deviated from this.  And if this was pre-produced, you couldn’t exactly blame the rushed plot ending because they ran out of time? 

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

That was what I thought they were going with and it made sense in the earlier episodes...but something changed?  I don’t know why they deviated from this.  And if this was pre-produced, you couldn’t exactly blame the rushed plot ending because they ran out of time? 

As I said before too, the writer made their own work complicated by introducing multiverse/parallel universe and mixing up them with alternate timelines. Both might look same, but have a small difference and they should not really mix them like this. First we were seeing Future people messing up in past (present timeline) and killing their past selves. Some time travelers killing scientists who were in project of time travel (whose main purpose was to stop it). 

But then we started seeing people from parallel universe, which was fine, but then they made it confusing. At one point we would not know whether this guy is from parallel universe, or from future of current timeline. So the writer and show runners trapped themselves. 

Plus they sacrificed a lot great characters just for the two main leads to have more screen time. As someone above said, ratings were great even when there was not much interaction between the two main leads. We had Min Hyuk and Do Yeon, two amazing characters totally underused. One could actually investigate the whole corruption in Alice and the other could uncover some truth using her analytical mind by reading old articles and help in investigation too. But one was rarely used and the other one just became the typical 2nd FL loving the ML not getting anything in return. 

I seriously think that show runners should be blamed for it. They must have wanted Kim Hee sun and Joo Won to be shown most of the times, and it actually happened. The drama actually had a great potential, and I really wonder despite being a pre-produced, how could they mess it up like this. I really think show runners did have some hand in changing the story, because seeing the story, the writer seemed to have clear idea about what they wanted to do with the story, but lost their path in between. 

Alice: Episode 15

by LollyPip

Alice15-00027.jpg

As our detective gets closer to the identity of Teacher, the people around him are suffering the consequences of what they know. Time is growing unstable while those who travel start to remember things that they never experienced. It’s starting to look as if finding Teacher may not be the ending he hopes, but just the beginning of another nightmare.

EPISODE 15 RECAP

Time passed is time lost, lazy and lethargic, and cannot be kept even if you have infinite chances. — Jean-Paul Sartre

When Tae-yi receives the DNA results, she’s eager to show Jin-gyum that his DNA matches her hooded attacker from 2010. He says darkly, “I told you didn’t I? That you’d be next.” He whips out the sword and raises it over his head… but Min-hyuk flies at him, knocking him away from Tae-yi.

The two men grapple and Tae-yi screams Jin-gyum’s name, but he continues trying to kill Min-hyuk. Suddenly he stops when he hears a soft voice croon, “Jin-gyum-ah…” and he looks to see his mother next to him.

After a moment he realizes that it’s really Tae-yi — he’s back to himself and horrified at what he’s done. He runs home and glares accusingly at his reflection: “You’re the one I’ve been chasing for the past ten years? How could you? She only lived for you, and only had you to rely on. How could you kill Mom?”

Jin-gyum’s reflection smirks back at him, and he punches the mirror. He puts his gun to his head, but luckily Tae-yi followed him home and she grabs the gun away. Jin-gyum sobs that he didn’t do it, and Tae-yi agrees with him.

He reminds her that he just tried to kill her, but she says it’s a side effect from the time travel. She tells Jin-gyum that he’s the one who joined the police for his mother, who believed unflinchingly in Captain Go, and who regularly puts himself in danger to protect her. Her words make him cry again, and she hugs him tightly.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/alice-episode-15/

Kim Hee Sun Talks About Working With Younger Actors + Shares Who She Wants To Work With In Future

2623c85bd3fb45e6b91a47d025013020.jpeg?s=

Nov 1, 2020
by C. Hong

Kim Hee Sun talked about working with Joo Won and Kwak Si Yang, her past and future career, and more in a series of interviews after the end of SBS’s “Alice.”

“Alice” is a sci-fi thriller drama about a detective (Joo Won) who discovers the existence of time travel after he meets a woman who looks identical to his dead mother (Kim Hee Sun, playing both roles).

In an interview with MK Sports, Kim Hee Sun said, “I say this so often that my mouth has gone dry, but Kwak Si Yang and Joo Won are both really kind actors. They are kind and earnest in every aspect. Even though they’re younger than me, I’m the one who learned a lot. Joo Won and I had a lot of scenes together and he took care of me a lot. It was a lot of little things, but it’s not an easy thing to do. I felt like he must be a very respectful, caring, sweet person. Kwak Si Yang is also really kind. He would always practice even when there wasn’t filming. I felt that he was very earnest about his work. He’s a very affectionate person. The atmosphere on set was always fun.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1435181wpp/kim-hee-sun-talks-about-working-with-younger-actors-shares-who-she-wants-to-work-with-in-future

Alice: Episode 16 (Final)

by selena

ALICE16-00143.jpg

Everything comes to an end in the final hour. With Teacher’s identity finally out in the open, we head back to the past to settle things once and for all. Our lieutenant never loses sight of his goal and remains unwavering in his love for his mother, but sacrifices may be necessary to restore the balance of the timeline.

EPISODE 16 RECAP

Love is patient. It always trusts, always hopes, and always perseveres.” – The Bible

The elderly Teacher tells present-day Jin-gyum that he’s giving him a chance to control time. Jin-gyum has zero interest in that and vows to undo and put an end to everything Teacher started. He plans to kill Teacher after saving everyone that died because of him.

Teacher takes out his gun but before he can shoot, Jin-gyum travels back to 2010. It’s the morning of Sun-young’s birthday and she serves seaweed soup for breakfast. Something’s clearly bothering her as she observes teen Jin-gyum eating. He doesn’t seem evil in this dimension, at least.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/11/alice-episode-16-final/

Like everyone I also have so many questions about this ending episode 16 that left too many things for the viewers to assume.

I find episode 15 is better as an ending episode.. ha ha..

Anyway I have own assumption of the last 15 minutes so I can feel good about it

According to Omma tae Yi Reset will remove the time travelers. So I think as there’s no time travlers people who were time travler at one point of life are again given another life in another setting. They would cease to exist as time traveler but they will not cease to live.

Like Park Jin Gyeom born in another family and he doesn’t even know his old house. Taeyi probably born in her adoptive family. Ajusshi Ko may have died if it was his current self but he is alive at present.

But though they have a new life, they’re destined to meet. We saw Nambu Police staffs knows Taeyi even without park Jin Gyeom(first time Tae Yi knew them or they knew her was becuse Detective Jin Gyeom). Do Yeon ended up meeting Architect Park first even though they’re not friends now ( I assumed they’re not because Jin Gyeom doesn’t seem like he ever lived in his old place..( I AM SO SAD THEY DID NOT SHOW US THAT JINGYEOM-DOYEON AREN’T FRIENDS..Like the least you could give us is them being friends..It was not too difficult, was it? :cry:). 

So I believe if Jin Gyeom can live after reset so can Min Hyuk..If only they could show us that Min Hyuk is living somewhere close by… In my imagination he does.. ha ha..

Anyways I don’t know if any of you have noticed this or are here to notice how Kim Hee Sun interpreted the relationship of Park Jin Gyeom and Yoon Tae Yi.

Kim Hee-sun interpreted the relationship between Yoon Tae-yi and Park Jin-gyeom as a relationship that is not a love line.

"To Park Jin-Gyeom, Yoon Tae-yi looks just like his mother Park Sun-young, so he has the desperation and sorrow that he doesn't even want to lose Yoon Tae-yi, who looks the same as his mother.

As Yoon Tae Yi I thought I was in favour of Park Jin-gyeom, who protects me so much, but i didn't feel the love line."

You will find this in the transaltion of 11th Para:

http://m.koreadaily.com/news/read.asp?art_id=8788601&referer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

I am glad it came from Kim Hee Sun..

ElezoKqVgAA1mhX?format=jpg&name=small

For me I have never really saw their relationship as romantic and was quite disturbed when people indicated that the ending means now they’re indicating a loveline.

Yes, there were moments when writer placed few scenes that toyed with us.. But there are far more scenes at each episode where writer and director pointed out exactly how Yoon Tae Yi is transitioning to Park Sun Young. Specially when Park Jin Gyeom looked at Tae Yi in his conscious and subconscious mind he tried to find the similarities between his mother. For Tae Yi it was a journey of discovering how she and Jin Gyeom's mother are related and at episode 15 we saw how she was so troubled and empathetic for both Jin Gyeom and Min Hyuk because now she shares Park Sun Young’s memory of them.

Anyways I am glad KHS’s interpretation is aligned with how I see Alice’s storyline and ending to be.

I really liked this side of Alice. This show focused on how people can be family without sharing blood.. Like how Ko Family and Tae Yi’s family cared for Tae Yi and Jin Gyeom..They were not blood relations but they never did anything less for this two.

And sometimes people ends up becoming family just by sharing memories.. Like Jin Gyeom literally screamed to Min Hyuk that “I will not give up the idea of protecting Yoon tae Yi because I couldn’t protect my mother..You help me because she was your woman and you know the sentiment”. Min Hyuk even though knows this that his Tae Yi is gone he never in one moment thought of not protecting this Tae Yi. He fought till the end for this Tae Yi… Taeyi comforted Min Hyuk because she understood how he must be feeling at loss with Jin Gyeom and she gave him hope that things would come around..And Tae Yi she felt for Min Hyuk and she asked him to run away with them. She hated the idea of leaving Min Hyuk behind. Though Tae Yi knew death was coming towards her she ended up sacrificing herself for Jin Gyeom because now she knows she ended up just same as Omma Tae Yi even though she isn’t the Omma. So these are people intertwined by their memories and they acted upon their memories, the emotion instinct that bonds them.

Like Tae Yi said to Jin Gyeom in making---:heart:

Overall Alice will be memorable to me for this fresh idea of human relationships and awesome performance from all the casts. And I will miss them...

maxresdefault.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to share this beautiful moment of Joo Won receiving Producer Award for his performance in Alice. It's an award given to the best actor chosen by Drama PDs of SBS. In his speech he thanked Alice Directior, Kim Hee Sun and other cast and staff for making it possible to film Alice in this difficult time. He happy because of them.

EqpzsSBUUAUNvgB?format=jpg&name=large

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/SBSNOW/status/1344685987792703489

Kim Hee Sun decided to not join in the award function this year but congratulated Joo Won on his IG post:

His speech to Media:

Archived