[Drama 2019-2020] Black Dog, 블랙독

larus

@hola2jin

Thanks for mentioning the junior actress. I was already wondering who she is. Really really good casting. She is already a good actress from what we could see and half the time i wasn't sure if it isn't somehow Seo Hyun-jin with some special makeup or de-aging cgi :D She really looks a lot like her.

Coming to the episode. Be aware i might spoil the first 15 minutes or so and one aspect from later on.

Wow i didn't know this would be such an extensive premiere. Almost 1,5 hours.

I was pretty disappointed how they executed the accident. Or i should say the accident was ok but the rescuing was such a kdrama cliche. Where were the rescue services? The police was there. And in the news report there were rescue services as well, but i guess they arrived too late? Must have taken some time to get all the other classmates out of the bus though. And how did they all get out without any help? The bus was flipped. And certainly there might have been some people been stuck somewhere and were in need of professional help. Then you have those random police dudes acting like clowns. I get it, they have this trope they are going for but they could have executed it better.

But the disappointment quickly disappeared. I already really liked the funeral scene. And those are almost always terrible in kdrama's. Now that i think about it Beauty Inside had a really good one as well (with shj no wonder). We so rarely get to see nuanced grieving scenes. No exaggerated crying, screaming or punching here. 

And i thought it was such a brilliant idea to have her get the job via connections. Which makes her being disliked, getting excluded etc and puts her in this typical female lead position. I think i might have gotten annoyed if she was put into all this struggle because of no reason other than her being a character in a kdrama. But this is such a good spin on the trope. And you can see the perspective of the other part time teachers for example. So far there has been nothing too cruel. Or i should say it's those little subtleties that make it cruel. If there were some exaggerated actions like let's say tripping her in the cafeteria (which some kdramas might do) it would only take away from it because it doesn't feel real anymore. I hope they continue to treat them as people and not cliches. This also makes it possible to later connect with them and make them likable characters in the story.

Coming to some more general thoughts on the episode.

First of all it felt more like a movie and i love that. Only using instrumental music until a few scenes later was a great choice in not only helping to create this cinematic vibe but also to increase the impact of the ost later on. 

And wow it's so great to see Seo Hyun-jin in such a naturalistic drama and role.

I like the balance of her character. In a way she is this classic idealistic rookie who wants to make a difference. But she is not naive. And she also has quite some teaching experience in certain areas that actually puts her ahead of some of her colleagues.

Well and she obviously isn't unfamilar with struggles and she has this new meaning to her life since the accident.

She has some cheerful sides as we would expect from Seo Hyun-jin but there are also melancholic vibes that go along with her. It's not indulging in it though which i appreciate. And i think her leg never completely healed? I kind of like that little touch. I can't wait to see her grow but also struggle. Let's be honest is there anything better than Seo Hyun-jin crying?

I like her family and love (is it the widow?). The way they look and the way they talk. Just seems so non polished and authentic. Oh and then there is Ra Miran. Love her character. She changes up the pace of the drama and brings some more fun to it. And we already see some different facettes of her character. And it's interesting how they introduce her and shj to each other. A pretty rocky start.

But it seems like it's going to focus a lot on their relationship that will probably grow into a mentorship/friendship. I would love that. There are too little dramas that do that. (Watch Mama if you want to watch a story about a complicated friendship of two grown up women)

Oh there is also the guy who looked at her through the window. Normally that would be the typical romance foreshadowing but i dont know it that can be applied to this drama. Maybe? Let's see how it goes. I would love to focus on her character and the experiences she lives through, her relationship with Ra Miran. Expand it to the side characters to paint a picture of the people and system at work. And if there is some free romance to grab i'll take it :D

I can't really relate to wannabe kdrama elitists who are very loud about 'oh why romance' and how it ruined the drama. As if it somehow magically validates the drama because it doesnt appeal to the audiences who are in it for the kdrama kiss. Just matters how it gets executed. I would actually be very interested to see shj in a mature romance. And let's not pretend like love or romance doesnt have a big part in life when we are going for a naturalistic drama. /sorry for the rant but always wanted to say that

Oh i almost forgot. I loved, loooved the shot with her in the classroom that cuts to her in front of the tunnel. The first time they use that ost as well. It was a very powerful moment to me. It actually gave me chills and got me teary. And wow that still shot of her face in front of the tunnel. Those moments of transcendence are hard to find but ultimately what i am looking for. (I am thinking the beach scene from the light in your eyes for example) This episode should have ended right there.

I feel dumb for being impressed by shj. I should have known better? 

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fabbo said:

Where were the rescue services?

I think they could not come on time before the explosion?

Personally I think that the accident was quite brief to the point that I don’t exactly know what happened then suddenly the bus just flips to one side. Oil starts spilling. Or is it just too dark and I missed it, I’m not that sure. But yes, I agreed that there should be more people stuck in there and not just Ha Neul. Seeing the storyline I think it’s just because she got a cast that’s why she is stuck.. 

After that scene we go into the funeral scene then I realised that the problems between a short term and full time Teachers will probably be the main focus of the story. They briefly tell us the main problems in this drama which we will tackle.

I feel as though they are trying to cover up the accident and act like nothing happened (seeing how the class are sort of acting as normal, the bosses looks heartless and left the funeral) I think something is wrong with the system which Ha Neul and the team will dive in later.Exciting :) can’t wait to see it.

4 hours ago, Fabbo said:

I feel dumb for being impressed by shj. I should have known better? 

Being a fan of shj for quite a while now, I’m really happy to know more people are seeing and appreciating her talent.

btw, I really love your insights on the first episode. Keep it coming! :)

Premiere Watch:

by stroopwafel

Black Dog

premwatch_diaryop3.jpg

Time slot: Monday & Tuesday
Broadcaster: tvN
Genre: Workplace, human
Episode count: 16 episodes

Reasons to watch: A teacher can play a formative role in the lives of their students, but what goes on in the lives of the teachers themselves? Black Dog centers the teachers at an elite high school in Seoul as it delves into issues of alienation and stigma. The drama title refers to “black dog syndrome,” wherein stray dogs are passed over by potential adopters simply because of the color of their fur. Seo Hyun-jin stars as a recent teaching hire at an exclusive high school–despite having no teaching experience. She quickly catches on that the school is a world of its own, and the stress of being thought of as a “fake” teacher or any parents picking up that she’s on a temporary contract wears on her. Just when she’s about to give up, Ra Mi-ran takes Seo under her wing and mentors her. Seo grows both as a teacher and a person; whether teacher or student, everyone has a lesson in life to learn.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2019/12/premiere-watch-diary-of-a-prosecutor-black-dog/

@shjfan23

Oh i got into kdramas about 1,5 years ago and i have been a fan of hers since i watched my first first one with her. I think this drama is a bit of a change up from her recent projects. And my comment was more about how i  slightly forgot how much i enjoy it watch her on screen and not that i didn't trust her to portray that character.

Ich went to check some of the other Mo&Tue tvn dramas. The rating doesnt seem that bad and i think it has a great chance to grow its ratings.

The first episode totally blew me away. So many aspects of it was so well-done especially SHJ's performance. The nepotism edge really set the dynamic for Ha-Neul with her co-workers. Loved the transition from young Ha-Neul to SHJ. That scene made me wonder why she has to have bangs all the time haha.

Oh i almost forgot. I loved, loooved the shot with her in the classroom that cuts to her in front of the tunnel. The first time they use that ost as well. It was a very powerful moment to me. It actually gave me chills and got me teary. And wow that still shot of her face in front of the tunnel. Those moments of transcendence are hard to find but ultimately what i am looking for. (I am thinking the beach scene from the light in your eyes for example) This episode should have ended right there.

Yesss completely teared up at the end when they threw in the OST music in the classroom scene. Just stunning. Truly a moment of transcendence for me. Now, what is the song that was at the end of the full trailer!

To add to @Fabbo I think her leg was healed but she hurt it again during the fall in the cafeteria. I don't remember her having a visible limp otherwise.

Points of curiousity: how did she become such close friends with the widow, for the widow to consider her a daughter? The estrangement with the uncle - it looks like Ha-Neul has never met the uncle yet he helped her get the job? Obviously there will be some good relationship development between Ra-Miran's character and Ha-Neul but I was surprised it was actually a sour one to begin with.

As for the romance part, sometimes I think that it's such a waste to have a Queen of Romance not to have a romantic interest but at the same time I loved her with Lee Minki that I have a hard time imagining her with anybody else at the moment. Now that she's in a more naturalistic role, I would love her to take a role like Something in the Rain/Pretty Noona one day - minus the dongsaeng-noona relationship (mmm ToL wasn't a fav). But for now I'll eagerly await for each ep of Black Dog. 

Good question. But it's clear that she has some kind of guilt over how she got rescued and he kind of sacrificied himself. I imagine she kept visiting the widow, doesnt she also run a restaurant? Would be cool to see how they got close.

And she also takes some kind of purpose from it. She was so close to death which puts life into a new perspective. When it gets hard she thinks about the tunnel and you see the determination in her eyes.

About episode 2. Wow what a first day. I am exhausted just from watching :D

Review

`블랙독` 뜻, 이것에서 유래?#소외#차별#편견

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/410/0000653318

black dog meaning

서현진X라미란 '블랙독', 웰메이드 사회파 드라마 탄생 예감

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/015/0004258574

well made social drama? 

'블랙독' 라미란, 쩔쩔매는 서현진 구했다…'통쾌한 한 방'

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/421/0004363471

'블랙독' 서현진·라미란, 공감의 힘 [첫방기획]

http://mtvdaily.asiae.co.kr/article.php?aid=15765470701515348002

tvN 열풍 다시 불까…인물관계도·뜻 등 호기심 가득한 시선 집중 '블랙독'

Curiosity increasing of black dog relationship chart (on naver search)

http://www.gnmaeil.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=436022

[첫눈에 드라마] 어둡지만 현실적인, 그래서 씁쓸하게 시작한 ‘블랙독’

http://theviewers.co.kr/View.aspx?No=355384

Dark but realistic?

ryu ji eun 

'블랙독' 서현진 아역 류지은, ‘리틀 서현진’으로 존재감 남겨

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/312/0000426049

Musical actress, won an awards also. This is her debut drama

Tidbit

Black dog ost was trending on melon

18 hours ago, randomthotz said:

Yesss completely teared up at the end when they threw in the OST music in the classroom scene. Just stunning. Truly a moment of transcendence for me.

I also felt the same way. I can’t help but cry on the last part where she’s in the classroom then transitioned to the tunnel. Ohhh, that OST just melt my heart.

Just the rawness of all the feelings from everybody. For me, this is a very different kind of Kdrama.

Hi All...let me join in this thread ^^

The pinky teacher is so annoying and judging from ep. 3 preview, Ko HaNeul will just let that teacher to get all the recognition for the sake of the students. It will be so frustrating :crazy::crazy:

I hope there will be a little love line between HaNeul and the handsome teacher :rolleyes:

Thanks, this just made me to do some reading. Because i was wondering about the title of the drama, why it is called that way and what it actually means.

Looking up https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_dog_syndrome.. "Black dog syndrome or big black dog syndrome is a phenomenon in which black dogs are passed over for adoption in favor of lighter-colored animals." There is also some meaning in mythology. Usually as a ghost or some kind of bad omen.

I think could draw a thematic relation to shj's character. Her almost getting forgotten and abandoned. Later she gets excluded and picked on. And most importantly she doesn't have a permanent position or place to stay you could say. She also talks about how she is living in the dark, but if she stood still for long enough her eyes will get used to it. And it must be hard for others to see her. It's a bit broad. I wonder if there will be a memorable quote where you think 'oh this why they chose this title'.. 

There was that one quote from the Ra Miran character "I wanted to show her that i am the mad dog here". So i guess she the mad dog around and shj is the black dog.

On 12/18/2019 at 4:08 AM, Fabbo said:

@shjfan23

Oh i got into kdramas about 1,5 years ago and i have been a fan of hers since i watched my first first one with her. I think this drama is a bit of a change up from her recent projects. And my comment was more about how i  slightly forgot how much i enjoy it watch her on screen and not that i didn't trust her to portray that character.

Ich went to check some of the other Mo&Tue tvn dramas. The rating doesnt seem that bad and i think it has a great chance to grow its ratings.

I felt that this change is better for her as an actress. And the story is very relatable. So glad she chose this drama. And I agree it's so lovely to see her on screen again. 

With regards about the first episode, I have to be honest, I had to stop and pause watching after the bus accident scene. That particular scenario made me so sad because not many people in real life would really want to go back to the accident scene to save someone else. It was believable and horrible to see only one teacher go back to help save an injured student. 

I had to watch something else to lighten my mood and took me some time to continue watching the first episode. Once I got past the emotional funeral scene, I was able to finish the whole episode as well as the second one. I didn't realize this is the drama I've been waiting for. Completely taken by the story and by the strong performance of the whole cast. Will be patiently waiting for next week's episodes. 

I forgot to mention that watching Black Dog  reminds me of her hit medical drama Romantic Doctor because of the same cast. Her mother is the same actress who played YYS's mom in RD. The heroic teacher who saved her is the same actor who acted as her boyfriend. The actor playing the school Principal was the Hospital Director. I wonder if they share the same agency?

1 hour ago, shjfan23 said:
2 hours ago, htk9207 said:

I wonder if they share the same agency?

With SHJ, she’s not. She’s with Soop Management. Not sure with the others though

Another actor Yoo Min Kyu (6 years contract teacher Ji Hae Won) is from Soop M. too! The school principal and Ha Neul's mother from agency: Star Village Ent. Tae In Ho (Ha Neul's teacher) and Ha Joon're from the same agency Ace Factory.

Archived