[Drama 2019-2020] Black Dog, 블랙독

larus

13 hours ago, larus said:

Oh.... I will feel sorry for the one who won`t get the job. But that`s life.

Yeah! Me too! But I’m leaning more in JHW on this. I think he really deserves it. He already proved himself for 6 yrs. If he didn’t get it, I thinks it’s better for him to look for a different school. 
But still, Ha Neul is right when she said it’s not about how long you’re already working but it’s about your skill and how lucky you are (Is my statement right? Lol!!)

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, shjfan23 said:

Preview for tomorrow’s episode:

Looks like they are now choosing the permanent teacher.

Can both Ha Neul and Hae Won be accepted as permanent teachers? Waiting for a miracle to happen! :bawling:

4 hours ago, shjfan23 said:

BD is having a steady rating

Slightly disappointed there was no breakthrough of viewerships as I was expecting there'll be a rise in rating! Was the storyline not so well-liked by majority? But with the steady rating it showed that Black Dog has captivated a group of loyal viewers. I'm glad that those who commented here deemed this is a good drama. Still encouraging!

Stills

Yoo Min Kyu's Ig:

Unlike 'Sung Soon squad' chose to relieve their stress in a karaoke room, teacher Hae Won opt for an athletic way! :D

Short-term teachers cast.

With his seniors!

Spoiler

I can imagine Park Sung-Soon changing schools and open up a spot.

The episode wasn't as emotional overwhelming as last week but it had a lot of heartwarming and cute llittle moments.

Ha Neul swooning about how cute her students are is the cutest thing. And just those little interactions in the college advisory group.

Oh and Mr Moon talking about integrity... ugh...

So... the school literally did a "No you" on the Korean teacher pick and picked... NOBODY?!?!

OMG, this school... HOW DO YOU HAVE A SHORT TERM TEACHER FOR SIX, FRIGGING SIX, YEARS AND NOT HAVE SPACE FOR MORE PERMANENT TEACHERS?!

Like, if you needed to hire short terms year after year isn't that a sign that you need more permanent teachers?!?!?!

I feel so bad for Ji HaeWon and Kang HaNeul. This school did them so dirty.

What is this dog and pony show? 

I mean, I actually get the reasons for hiring and not hiring either of them. HaNeul is extremely talented and passionate as a teacher, albeit inexperienced and HaeWon teaches really well and pays a lot of attention to detail thanks to his 6 years of experience, even if he tends to give in to stress. The choice is always gonna be a hard one to make but this school just went "ok, not making a choice!"

*Throws table*

13 hours ago, hola2jin said:

Slightly disappointed there was no breakthrough of viewerships as I was expecting there'll be a rise in rating! Was the storyline not so well-liked by majority? But with the steady rating it showed that Black Dog has captivated a group of loyal viewers. I'm glad that those who commented here deemed this is a good drama. Still encouraging!

I'm glad it's held steady for so many weeks. Sure, a breakthrough would have been nice but it's really tough for two women to lead in SK. I *almost* think it's a feat for the show to remain above 4% with two female leads, albeit with some starpower, no romance and a quieter pace. I think it's also a tough drama to come in the middle of it. It's about the character arcs and not so much the individual eps. I've read some inspiring reviews where former students have called up their homeroom teachers who inspired them in their youth and current teachers connect with Go Ha Neul's story and the commentary the drama presents on the educational environment. At the end of the day, I believe that's what the PD and actors have stated as their purpose. But it got 5% on Ep 12!

10 hours ago, Fabbo said:

I can imagine Park Sung-Soon changing schools and open up a spot.

The episode wasn't as emotional overwhelming as last week but it had a lot of heartwarming and cute llittle moments.

Ha Neul swooning about how cute her students are is the cutest thing. And just those little interactions in the college advisory group.

Oh and Mr Moon talking about integrity... ugh...

Heeee! Lots of little moments this past week. I did love Episode 11 since we got to see the confident Go Sky. She's grown so much from Episode 1. I had to rewatch it because I thought Sung Soon implied that Go Ha Neul had the spot because of nepotism but it wasn't very clear. I'm slightly shocked that Hae Won did indeed write those messages but wow, didn't expect the nepotism to run so deep. From what I understand, the chairman is related to Chief of Admin...who is the uncle to Teacher Jang. So potentially, Teacher Jang is related to Chief of Admin? The gall of that teacher to chide her colleagues and Go Ha Neul!

6 hours ago, Banana said:

So... the school literally did a "No you" on the Korean teacher pick and picked... NOBODY?!?!

OMG, this school... HOW DO YOU HAVE A SHORT TERM TEACHER FOR SIX, FRIGGING SIX, YEARS AND NOT HAVE SPACE FOR MORE PERMANENT TEACHERS?!

Like, if you needed to hire short terms year after year isn't that a sign that you need more permanent teachers?!?!?!

I feel so bad for Ji HaeWon and Kang HaNeul. This school did them so dirty.

What is this dog and pony show? 

I mean, I actually get the reasons for hiring and not hiring either of them. HaNeul is extremely talented and passionate as a teacher, albeit inexperienced and HaeWon teaches really well and pays a lot of attention to detail thanks to his 6 years of experience, even if he tends to give in to stress. The choice is always gonna be a hard one to make but this school just went "ok, not making a choice!"

*Throws table*

Wow. I totally didn't see this happening! It kinda felt like a "jumping the shark" moment when they just nullified one of the longer arcs. But I have faith in this drama and always playing with our expectations of what should happen in dramaland with what actually may happen in reallife.  I loved the little moments where you saw the teachers cheering on their favourite...especially Teacher Kim. Haha, her little smile when it came to Go Sky.

But I get it. I really think that if they hired HaeWon, it would have looked bad on the school. He ranked fifth of the five and the teachers were considering their relationship with him. If he didn't have the six years at the school, he wouldn't have even been considered the final two but Park Sung Soon and Teacher Moon couldn't be objective when it came to him especially with the school's subjectivity being held in question. Go HaNeul was too inexperienced, didn't pass the teacher's exam (not sure if that came into play) and wasn't vouched for by Sung Soon nor Moon.

I loved the end of Episode 12. Go Haneul got the answer to her question about being a permanent teacher. That it doesn't matter whether she's a short-term or long-term as long as she's there for her students. Except its just episode 12. What are they gonna for the remaining four? Will she be a short-term next year at Daechi?

And I almost forgot Teacher Yoon's retirement and speech. Omgosh. Crocodile Tears. That was beautiful. What a poignant lesson to us all. She was indeed a gem.

3 hours ago, randomthotz said:

Park Sung Soon and Teacher Moon couldn't be objective when it came to him especially with the school's subjectivity being held in question

Hmm... I wouldn't say that they couldn't be objective though... I mean, Teacher Moon had a point in that Ji HaeWon was just so experienced in the ways of their school that he doesn't even need to be further trained and as a school that's always fighting battles everyday (come on now, there's always a new problem at this fledging, rising school every few days) thats golden. You have someone who gets the vibe at school and is able to work towards resolving things in the way the school needs specifically immediately without much instruction. But SungSoon actually did HaeWon dirty with her words by equalling picking HaeWon as consideration for his 6 years and nothing else. It just waters down all his efforts and the other great reasons for picking him.

On the other hand, I also disagree that the written exam should dictate who becomes the permanent teacher as Teacher Do says. 

Even if HaeWon came out as 5th in the exam, it doesn't mean that he did the worst on the exam - he still beat 10 other people and earned his spot in the second round and a chance at a comeback in the objective assessement and I think they're forgetting that in the quest to avoid an audit which... just what deadly secret are they hiding that they so scared of it? Isn't an audit just to make sure that there're no fishy things going on in schools? If they show that their choice is based on legitimate reasons, which they can, then it's fine, isn't it? 

Because otherwise, what is the point of the second round if no one can take its results as legitimate without questioning its validity? Why put the scores of the two rounds together when you can just have the teachers take the first round exam and be done with it?

My point is, people excel in different ways and some are just more talented in written forms of assessment and others, practical and both should be accepted in their own right when both are offered as assessment methods. 

If like in this case, society only takes the written exam as golden and the only objective assessment... then my baby Jin YooRa is never going to Hankuk Medical School just because she didn't get a level 2 in advanced science. The fact that she drew her results while working part time the whole time unlike her peers isn't reflected in the written exam after all.  

I thought that the story didn't really give Ji Hae Won a chance to demonstrate his full capacity yet. Like you graduated from that school and been there for 6 years working as a temporary you should be rewarded lol. i thought that Ko Ha Neul was shown to be a great teacher because she was given the opportunity mainly through the advanced class of Icarus an opportunity in which Hae won wanted to but wasn't give the opportunity. 

The pacing of the drama seems well off also since the ending of the latest episode was a good ending for the drama as a whole with all the kids graduating and noone getting the job. I wonder how they will fill up the rest of the episode with mainly fillers now unless they want to go bring back Hae won and Ha Neul at the same time.

One plot hole i seem to always get back to is they went and asked Jae Hyun's dad if they could go visit the hospital to boost their resume, and he seemed to agree to it but it seems they never even went back to this point and just simply zoom past all that and focused towards the top 2 kids and testing and then BAM graduation and now they're gone lol. we dont even see if the other kid made it to hankuk university as well.

On 1/15/2020 at 3:39 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

@ponderings

I don't follow rankings, ratings or any of that but by lookin' at the pace of this thread it's pretty slooOOoowWw~ but like ya said this drama is a worthwhile watch. Sky Castle is actually way more popular. I think it deals with students so that's maybe why it's so popular? This drama ( Black Dog) is more gritty & a realistic look into what goes at schools but in particular to teachers & their struggles. I guess for some it's harder to stomach 'cause of heavy content. I know it took me awhile to fully get into Black Dog.    

The nitty gritty aspect of this drama was what I thought would make this drama popular. This forum is definitely going really slow. I definitely see your point that there's heavy content. To be honest when I first started the first episode, it took me some time to digest. Just from the lighting and the way they built the scenes from one to another hinted that it is a serious drama, not the typical bright, colorful romcom drama.

On a side note, this week's episodes were great! 

9 hours ago, randomthotz said:

Go HaNeul was too inexperienced, didn't pass the teacher's exam (not sure if that came into play) and wasn't vouched for by Sung Soon nor Moon.

She didn't pass the exam for the public schools. That doesn't interfer with the hiring process for this private school. In fact she had the best results among the applicants.

5 hours ago, Banana said:

If like in this case, society only takes the written exam as golden and the only objective assessment... then my baby Jin YooRa is never going to Hankuk Medical School just because she didn't get a level 2 in advanced science. The fact that she drew her results while working part time the whole time unlike her peers isn't reflected in the written exam after all.

Yes and working part time is only the start. There is such an unequality of opportunities on so many levels here. I am a bit torn how i feel about this. Of course i want Yoo Ra to get in and feel bad for her. In another drama you might have the hard working female lead who always works hard and despite all the obstacles she gets in. Showing that the system works in the end. But it really doesn't and it is a highly classist society. Having her fail is much more realistic and an effective way to reveal the flawed system.

I think she still might get in via regular admissions though.

5 hours ago, Neunji said:

Like you graduated from that school and been there for 6 years working as a temporary you should be rewarded lol. i thought that Ko Ha Neul was shown to be a great teacher because she was given the opportunity mainly through the advanced class of Icarus an opportunity in which Hae won wanted to but wasn't give the opportunity

I feel like they could go a bit more into how the short term teacher system is just a big exploit for ecconomic benefit. Which is so crazy considering how much money korean parents spend on education. And they get further exploited in the workplace in hopes for a permanent position.

And they are not even confident in their own hiring process. They have two great contenders but they chose none because.. yeah why exactly?

The show takes the position of Ha Neul that you should always try hard because of the student. Of course i sympathize with that. But i think questions need to be asked on a more fundamental level about the current conditions.

5 hours ago, Banana said:

But SungSoon actually did HaeWon dirty with her words by equalling picking HaeWon as consideration for his 6 years and nothing else. It just waters down all his efforts and the other great reasons for picking him.

Great point.

Actually, actually, I had so many things to say about this drama earlier but I didn't cos I lost my previous Soompi account by forgetting the password. :ph34r: And the resulting mess I had to wade through to get it back was just too complicated. Why does Soompi need a password that's more complicated than my bank pin and office account?! What's so valuable here to warrant such stringent security...

And then I created a new one when I couldn't hold back from the school's F U to both teachers; ah hahahahah.

I previously thought that Teacher Moon wasnt fit to be vice principal because... he has no spine. When SungSoon said he lacked loyalty, I actually blurted out "No spine" at the same time. SungSoon is better than me, ha.

Like... if you think a teacher leaked information about you that could harm the school and your prospects, shouldn't the right thing be to address them with the teacher face to face instead of mousing all over the place and deciding on your own that he's the culprit without even getting an admission or even solid proof? We only know for certain that it was HaeWon because of Teacher Yoon. The fact the HaeWon was his beloved ex-student just makes it worse - if you can't confront someone who was so close, how are you going to handle personnel management and the many obstacles and that will come your way as a vice principal? Not that the current vice principal is any good himself.

Teacher Han just makes my blood boil with her treatment of the students. I mean, how can you say that students hate you cos you're old when Teacher Yoon is the literal dinosaur in school and the students all adore her?! Also, what does "if the students can do it, we can too" mean when you're the adult and they're just kids. You're the one they're supposed to be learning from! 

@Neunji I agree with you that the school hasn't given HaeWon the opportunities he deserves to show what he's got, despite him having been there for so long. Even worse, he's stuck in that sh*thole department full of terrible people.  That said, HaNeul is just killing all the opportunities thrown her way which is a feat in itself. 

During the interview for the permanent teacher post, Haewon mentioned the reason he become a teacher is because of his former teacher. Is it possible he mean Teacher Moon? Haewon is the one who suspect Teacher Moon of nepotism and since Teacher Moon is formerly his teacher, he should have check it out properly before posting it. It quite a serious accusation and it cause a lot of trouble for Go HaNeul as a newbie.

1 hour ago, Sapient 20 said:

During the interview for the permanent teacher post, Haewon mentioned the reason he become a teacher is because of his former teacher. Is it possible he mean Teacher Moon? Haewon is the one who suspect Teacher Moon of nepotism and since Teacher Moon is formerly his teacher, he should have check it out properly before posting it. It quite a serious accusation and it cause a lot of trouble for Go HaNeul as a newbie.

Teacher Moon is his former teacher. 

Er, I think HaeWon should have checked it out properly even if Teacher Moon were not his former teacher. It's a grave accusation and he did wrong this time, which he already apologized and made amendments for. But it's not like he had no basis in making that claim - he just suspected the wrong people. 

Black Dog: Episode 10

by selena

BD10-00068.jpg

Our college advisors face a dose of reality and are reminded once again that school is an organization. This means that some of the things they have to do are not ideal, which can be very discouraging. They’ll need to face these challenges head on and figure out how to navigate their environment and take control.

EPISODE 10 RECAP

BD10-00004.jpgBD10-00003.jpg

On the day of the informational, Jae-hyun’s dad was on a call, defending Haneul’s status as a short-term teacher – it doesn’t matter as long as she gets Jae-hyun into a good school. This came as a surprise to Jae-hyun who’d overheard the conversation.

As he prepares for school one day, dad instructs him to get on Haneul’s good side. Jae-hyun’s student record hasn’t been submitted yet, so to prevent upsetting Haneul, she shouldn’t find out that he knows of her short-term status.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/01/black-dog-episode-10/

Love the latest ep alot, and i kind of bawled my eyes out when YR wasn’t accepted in Hankuk medical college and when HW smiling waiting teacher moon coming to him. Actually i cannot process it how come the school hired HW as short term teacher and didn’t give him a chance as a permanent teacher for 6 years. I really appreciated HW for managed to stay for that long.

Anyway did HN pass the teacher board exams? I mean i know she did’t get hired in Daechi school so she will stay as short term teacher until her 1 year contract expired right?

I hope next ep they will show us which medical college YR get accepted.

Wait. I'm confused.:huh: @Dundee so this means both Hae Won and Ha Neul didn't make the cut for the permanent teaching positions!? WTF.:crazy: I just don't understand why go through all that trouble of the exams then LoL?!?! Like seriously why bother?:P

Also, why can't they hire both?:rolleyes: I liked how tirelessly Yeon Woo fought for Ha Neul. With Hae Won, it's a pity 'cause it goes to show not all hard work guarantees success. Some people get by easy without tryin' which sucks. 

I like Ha Neul's answer for why she loves her job. Anyone can tell she genuinely cares about the kids~ While I'm happy that Jae Hyun got into medical school, it sucked that Yoo Ra didn't.. she's such a hard worker too.        

If she had passed the exams she could have applied to public schools. And she can still apply to other private schools. The Daechi school has nothing to do with that exam. I think it's an equivalent to the CSAT. You even see the short term teacher who left the school taking that exam.

But they also talked about how they should change the questions to make it harder. So i guess she took 2 exams? It's pretty confusing.

And i agree it's bs that noone got the job. And all the stuff on their resumee's like the Icarus Club didn't even get mentioned.

9 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Wait. I'm confused.:huh: @Dundee so this means both Hae Won and Ha Neul didn't make the cut for the permanent teaching positions!? WTF.:crazy: I just don't understand why go through all that trouble of the exams then LoL?!?! Like seriously why bother?:P

Also, why can't they hire both?:rolleyes: I liked how tirelessly Yeon Woo fought for Ha Neul. With Hae Won, it's a pity 'cause it goes to show not all hard work guarantees success. Some people get by easy without tryin' which sucks. 

I like Ha Neul's answer for why she loves her job. Anyone can tell she genuinely cares about the kids~ While I'm happy that Jae Hyun got into medical school, it sucked that Yoo Ra didn't.. she's such a hard worker too.        

Yoo Ra didn't make early admission, but Jae Hyun did. I don't know how college admissions work in Korea, but I think Yoo Ra still has a chance for regular admission, but it will be harder. (I'm rooting for her, of course.)

So Hankook University = Seoul National University in this world, right? So getting into Hankook Medical must be a huge deal.

I thought it was kind of scary how everyone gathered at the teachers' office to find out whether those kids got into college or not. I know everyone is rooting for the kids, but it also seems stressful and embarrassing? Because I remember opening my college acceptance letters in the privacy of my own home.

This show seems so quiet, but it's oddly compelling. I was really white-knuckling to find out which teacher they end up hiring. How is it this hard to become a high school teacher? The competition for both students and teachers is so genuinely nerve-racking, isn't it? The politics and competition is genuinely infuriating to watch. It no longer becomes about loving and enjoying teaching and learning, everything becomes about numbers and scores.

As far as Hae Won goes, my heart genuinely broke for him. But at the same time, there must have been a reason that he was passed over the previous five years, too. I think it's clear that he's a great teacher with a passion for teaching, but maybe he's just not a good fit for this school. It's probably the right thing for him to look elsewhere. (But I still cried when Teacher Moon gave him a hug. Poor guy, he's been through a lot.)

I loved the last moment, when Ha Neul realizes that with the graduating kids' love, she really became a true teacher, and with that, she transcended the label of "temp" and "permanent." I suspect Ha Neul will return to Daechi as a temp again and have another great year. She's already proven herself, and she will no longer having the suspicion of nepotism hanging over her head.

Black Dog: Episode 11

by lovepark

blackdog11-00272.jpg

It seems that not a day goes by without a new problem brewing in the background. With limited resources, people battle to claim what’s theirs. Students, parents, and teachers alike fight to protect what they have, but whenever there are winners, there must be losers as well. Our beginning teacher refuses to give up, but sometimes, one’s best efforts aren’t always enough.

EPISODE 11 RECAP

blackdog11-00003.jpg

At home, Haneul thinks back to Jae-hyun’s comment about visiting her next year, and a smile spreads across her face as she quietly gushes about her adorable kids. She suddenly remembers the job openings at her school and checks the online forum for updates. After seeing the open permanent position for her subject, Haneul sighs, knowing that competition will be fierce, but with determination, she tells her mom that she’ll get the job.

Elsewhere, Sung-soon shares a silent meal with Teacher Moon and steals the last shot of soju from him. Frustrated with the awkward tension, Teacher Moon asks why she’s behaving so uncooperatively, but she shoots back, “Are we supposed to be bonding as colleagues right now?”

They both know that they’re only here to exchange favors—she needs him as a buffer between her team and the vice principal, and he needs her to give him a good review for his upcoming promotion. Teacher Moon asks if she’s still upset about the incident years ago, but Sung-soon just stares back and cocks her head to the side.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/01/black-dog-episode-11/

Archived