0ly40

7 hours ago, SimbiAni said:

y'all.. :open_mouth:

y'all.. :smirk:

I just realized the "last" names of our "main-main leads".. :yum:

..could = "OHNO! COUPLE" except we got us ~double Oh's :lol: 

sooo.. "Team OHNOOH? OHOHNO?" trio-ship FTW! ahaha :D

Very welcome! :heart: 

Thank you too for your reply! Inspiring others is one of the best things we can do for each other, & it's one of the big reasons I started loving fandoms in the first place! :wub:

Haha! It's cute and catchy! 

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First Impression: Was It Love?

Overall, Was It Love? is off to a good start. It effectively introduced itself as a series that will offer us entertaining and funny adult banters with some touching stories in between. The story might seem like a rehash from other similar dramas but the characters are its strongest aspect. I felt instantly attached to them and their stories. Hopefully, everyone will get their own kind of happy endings.

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/07/14/first-impression-was-it-love/

9 hours ago, partyon said:

lol :D You've got a few more years under your belt than I have then. :D If you agree, I will change all 99% -> 100% in my previous post. :D

Reveal hidden contents

(PS. Sorry @Nodame for forgetting to tag you in my previous post - I've met you on the My Unfamiliar Family thread before)

What are your thoughts on Song Ji Hyo's acting? I saw that many people on Dramabeans were criticizing her and saying that she's overacting. I just think that the some of the "over-the-top" reactions we're seeing from her are actually how her character has been written.

Here is the link to the Dramabeans recap of ep 1.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/was-it-love-episode-1/

Hello @partyon! Song Ji Hyo is one of the actresses I like the most, and I somehow know that comments like those ones are most likely to be commented. I think comedy isn't really her best genre but I always see her doing well when the forte has something to do with crime, melo-drama, suspense, thriller, and historical. Comedy-wise, I know that she still has some rooms to have improvements. Even on Running Man, she's not usually the type to wittingly talk about something but when she says something out of the blue, it's kind of funny. Haha.

Even though I personally think this way, whenever she acts, she's always able to convey her emotions to me. It's like she's making me relate into each and every character she portrays. Foe me, she may not the be best of the best when it comes to acting, but I applaud her efforts to do scenes and play roles that are kind of challenging to her. 

And like you, I think that she's acting like that in "Was it Love" because that's how her character has been written. Her character as No Ae Jung is similar with her character Oh Jin Hee in "Emergency Couple" but this new drama requires more depth and conviction. Thus making her exert more efforts since she has already acted like that in a really commendable show.

Also I noticed that it's not just her who's receiving comments like that, but there's also Kim Yoo Jung from "Backstreet Rookie". She's being criticized too as doing such over-the-top reactions/movements in some scenes that require her to be, but she was still chosen by the netizens to be the main female lead in the upcoming historical drama with Ahn Hyo Seop (who people are also criticizing because they think Kim Soo Hyun deserves that role more). 

I think it is most likely because of how they were asked to play the roles of their characters in an "exaggerated" manner to emphasize something about their said characters. Which I find tolerable and acceptable. But then again, this is just my opinion. For me, constructive criticisms can actually help actors and actresses as well as the dramas and movies even if they tend to be subjective or objective. 

On a lighter note, I would be interested in that "Husbands over Flower", too! It'd be very chaotic and hilarious at the same time! Haha! Still waiting for Wednesday to come so fast! **counting the hours left** 

@whiteclover  Lol thank you! Not everyday you hear Cantonese but mainly Mandarin in a Kdrama . Ok great I was excited but it was butchered Cantonese lol. I did feel I was hearing things so glad it wasn’t just me! 

@partyon Hi! No prob! Hard to remember everyone and great to see you here too! I only been a bit more active from just lurking status the last few months after 6 yrs. I am no drama expert by any means (just the drama watching time lol), but you had good and solid reasoning about your predictions. I love the actors especially the OTP. 

Frankly, I do love Song Ji Hyo and here I think she is doing what’s expected of her like you think as well by the script. She excels in the emotional moments and looking forward to them. But she is a bit exaggerated in her comedic moments which I feel are deliberate and not off putting for me. Loved her interactions with ODO and their charged interactions at the cafe /book concert showing their hinted past dating connection.

I feel we will find out more of their breakup and I too feel RJ might have a hand in it too if their misunderstandings that kept them apart. 

If our guessing skills are correct, I cannot wait to see how ODO figures out about the daughter. Then how that will be addressed. I think too the only wrench would be RJ could’ve the dad but realistically it’s ODO. Puppy is out I feel and obviously the gangster money lender is not the dad as he is a new person in her life. Interesting though his ex partner/wife is AJ doppelgänger (?)

Looking forward to the next episodes!

3 hours ago, whiteclover said:

Hello everyone, popping by after watching the first 2 episodes !! I LOVE NETFLIX because they update simultaneously and the HD quality :) 

ooo i didn't read the comments but i found it okay? Like the first episode when AJ broke down and cried at home, i teared up as well :( i guess maybe everyone's accustomed to associating SJH to her RM persona, so they can't take her seriously when she acts? I believe that's the same for Kwangsoo ? But ok that's just my personal opinion because honestly i haven't watch much dramas with SJH inside...

Hello there, @whiteclover! I agree with you. This could be one of the factors, too. I remember they talked about Lee Kwang Soo winning the Best Supporting Award against senior actors in the field of drama, so most of them, even himself, was surprised. But that doesn't mean that it's a bad thing. It just simply means that anything can be learned, and as big fan of Song Ji Hyo, hopefully she will get to be very comfortable in acting in a comedic manner in a way that it won't be seen by others as a trying-hard one. With this, I meant to say that it should appear more natural. But there's really no doubt that she's really great in delivering emotional scenes which require her to cry, be mad, be mean, be scary, and be strict. Plus her husky/deep voice just complements them so well. Haha!  

18 minutes ago, Nodame said:

@whiteclover  Lol thank you! Not everyday you hear Cantonese but mainly Mandarin in a Kdrama . Ok great I was excited but it was butchered Cantonese lol. I did feel I was hearing things so glad it wasn’t just me! 

@partyon Hi! No prob! Hard to remember everyone and great to see you here too! I only been a bit more active from just lurking status the last few months after 6 yrs. I am no drama expert by any means (just the drama watching time lol), but you had good and solid reasoning about your predictions. I love the actors especially the OTP. 

Frankly, I do love Song Ji Hyo and here I think she is doing what’s expected of her like you think as well by the script. She excels in the emotional moments and looking forward to them. But she is a bit exaggerated in her comedic moments which I feel are deliberate and not off putting for me. Loved her interactions with ODO and their charged interactions at the cafe /book concert showing their hinted past dating connection.

I feel we will find out more of their breakup and I too feel RJ might have a hand in it too if their misunderstandings that kept them apart. 

If our guessing skills are correct, I cannot wait to see how ODO figures out about the daughter. Then how that will be addressed. I think too the only wrench would be RJ could’ve the dad but realistically it’s ODO. Puppy is out I feel and obviously the gangster money lender is not the dad as he is a new person in her life. Interesting though his ex partner/wife is AJ doppelgänger (?)

Looking forward to the next episodes!

I totally agree with all the things you said here. Haha! 

I'm very excited to see the role of the other Ae Jung in Goo Pa Do's life! I have a feeling that his wife/ex-wife has/had more of the upper-hand in their relationship. Haha!

I'm also very interested in learning more about Oh Dae O and Ae Jung's story. I kind of want to know how sweetness turned into bitterness between the two of them. Unfolding what really happened to them will be very quite interesting. I'm pretty sure that there will be a lot of heartaches in exchange of the sweet moments they've shared together. After all, ODO's novels are mostly bittersweet so he was able to vent out all his emotions through his mind and fingers. 

Come to think of it, Was it Love is like showing us the taste of love, haha! So for the first two episodes:

Salty - Goo Pa Do and Ae Jung = because of how they first encountered each other

Sweet - Oh Yeon Woo and Ae Jung = feels like the teacher is still very much eating cotton candy on a cloud nine

Sour - Oh Dae O and Ae Jung = because of what had happened to them in the past 

Bland - Ryu Jin and Ae Jung = not there yet haha!

Now I'm hungry! Two more days left for it to be shown to us again! Such long days! Haha!

EDIT: FACE PALM--sorry I posted on wrong forum!

Ooh coming up in next episode 

https://www.soompi.com/article/1412712wpp/seo-ji-hoon-yoon-hyun-min-and-hwang-jung-eum-continue-a-complicated-love-triangle-in-to-all-the-guys-who-loved-me

Seo Ji Hoon, Yoon Hyun Min, And Hwang Jung Eum Continue A Complicated Love Triangle In “To All The Guys Who Loved Me”

Seo Ji Hoon, Yoon Hyun Min, And Hwang Jung Eum Continue A Complicated Love Triangle In “To All The Guys Who Loved Me”

Jul 14, 2020
by S. Nam

KBS 2TV’s “To All the Guys Who Loved Me” released new stills of Hwang Jung Eum, Yoon Hyun Min, and Seo Ji Hoon!

“To All the Guys Who Loved Me” is a romantic comedy about a woman who has given up on love and marriage after repeated heartbreaks. After finally deciding that all men are alike, she suddenly gets caught between two completely opposite men both vying for her love.

Spoiler

Previously, Seo Hyun Joo (Hwang Jung Eum) and Hwang Ji Woo (Yoon Hyun Min) continued to share fateful encounters. Seo Hyun Joo also came to believe Hwang Ji Woo was gay after hearing rumors and seeing him interact with Park Do Kyum (Seo Ji Hoon). Furthermore, Hwang Ji Woo tried to get Seo Hyun Joo to quit her job, and he even confessed that he intentionally went to the blind date.

Following Hwang Ji Woo’s shocking confession, the two have grown further apart. The newly released stills show Hwang Ji Woo and Seo Hyun Joo at a company dinner together. In order to mess with Hwang Ji Woo, Seo Hyun Joo keeps feeding him alcohol, but Hwang Ji Woo looks surprisingly fine with a comfortable smile on his face. However, the production team has revealed that Hwang Ji Woo will suddenly get drunk and carry out unexpected antics, letting go of his cold-hearted CEO image.

yoon-hyun-min-hwang-jung-eum.jpg

Furthermore, Seo Hyun Joo and Park Do Kyum enjoyed time to themselves in the previous episode. When it began to suddenly rain, they found shelter, but just as Park Do Kyum was about to confess his feelings, he was stopped by Hwang Ji Woo’s sudden appearance.

In a new set of heart-fluttering stills, Park Do Kyum decidedly approaches Seo Hyun Joo as if he’s about to express his feelings for her. Seo Hyun Joo also looks surprised at the change in Park Do Kyum’s attitude since she has only thought of him as a younger brother. Viewers are curious to find out her true feelings and what situation will unfold in the upcoming episode.

(article shortened use link above to read the whole article)

Hi guys, this is my new favorite show!! I love the premise and the actors! And while I really like all 4 men for our super mom I must admit that I have already jumped the Dae O-Ae Jung ship (I loveeee Son Ho Joon). I think the other 3 men will help her realise how despite so many years in between, Dae O with his imperfections is still perfect for her and she is best for him. I am really hoping that as the story unfolds we get to witness his loving side and that his character becomes more likeable. But above and beyond everything I am more excited about how her daughter will bond with him (or if I am wrong then anybody else who turns out to be her father) and how the 3 of them bond together as a family. I mean just think about it- meeting your 14 year old child who you did not know even existed is so emotionally chaotic and can make for good drama! SO super excited and waiting for tomorrow impatiently!!!

@corey Along with with other long time drama watchers, it is our educated theories and guesses. I guess in the RARE cases we could be totally wrong, it can happen as we are not the write nim. We cannot TRULY know what is in the mind of the writer nim. 

Other than RJ throwing a wrench possibly being dad , it is very highly probably dad is ODO over him. 

1) ODO had a relationship with AJ

2) They were deeply in love and their mysterious breakup had some misunderstandings on both parties (lack of communication)

so deep that AJ is not even wanting to acknowledge to her daughter her birth father.

Who could cause that much emotion?

Even when AJ wanted to get in contact with RJ at the press conference (He heard her voice but did not see her), AJ did not look too emotionally invested or upset seeing RJ as she did with ODO. (I feel that RJ was the one she totally liked and was attracted to as her sunbae. I mean the gal used her drinking game kiss --choosing the partner and went OUTSIDE of the place to find RJ sunbae. Only ODO sabatoged her efforts with the famous SHOE incident. Using that SHOE incident he confessed and wanted to STOP her from Kissing RJ.)

***No guy in their right mind would want the object of their affections KISSING another guy and on top of it she is drunk. When you are drunk, your true feelings come out more (supposedly). 

As mentioned before, the loan shark /gangster though so attractive and charming, he is new to the game and her. But she is not feeling he is attractive as she owes him tons of money and she is more scared of him than anything. Then PUPPY /HR Teacher she is affectionate and thinks of him as the bright cute little brother. (I don't feel any romantic vibes from AJ at all.)

It's nice to see some familiar faces @whiteclover! Compared to Born Again, I'm hopeful that this drama isn't total trash by the end LOL. I still kind of have PTSD from Born Again *shudders* haha

No doubt, if you couldn't tell by my profile picture, I'm a HUGE Song Ji Hyo stan. That being said, I'm not totally biased in the sense that I will stop watching her dramas if I think they're going no where (Lovely Horribly, Ex-Girlfriends Club). The aforementioned dramas were written terribly. Luckily, I'm actually quite hopeful that this will be her best drama yet. 

In terms of Ji Hyo's acting, I definitely think the over acting is purposeful like some of you have mentioned. She's emphasizing the comedic elements of the drama by doing so. Still, I kind of wish that she maintained the same clarity of tone in her voice while she's acting. For instance, the scene in the past where AJ is with DO by the riverside, it's very clear what she's saying, but in the scenes where DO is confronting AJ in the hotel, it's much muddier. It feels like she's putting too much emphasis on her words? Sort of like she has some phlegm in her throat or something. It's kind of hard to explain, but I definitely have noticed that she can improve her acting in this way. She's definitely getting some deserved criticism by k-netizens, but I don't think it's irredeemable or terrible like some have implied. I definitely think that the ratings should be higher 100%. 

On to the drama itself....

As mentioned previously, I think it has a lot of potential. Although the first episode was a bit on the slower/heavier side, I found myself really emotionally connected to AJ and HN's relationship. The acting chops on that kid though! LOL, I was tearing up when they had that misunderstanding when PD was at the school. I'm really looking forward to their scenes together, and the eventual interactions HN will have with her father. The slowness of the first episode can definitely be attributed to the writer having to set up all the relationships and essential character qualities. 

The second episode is where the drama glows up. SHJ's presence on the screen definitely livened things up, and I found myself re-watching DO scenes and the ones he had with AJ the most out of anything else. He definitely has some blind spots. Obviously, we don't know what exactly the misunderstanding between AJ and DO was, but what we do know is that he has blamed everything on her, as implied by his short story. "She vanished into thin air" like there was no rhyme or reason for her leaving. He's going to have to grow up and see that there definitely was fault on his side. That being said, even though he has been a total jerk to AJ thus far, it's hard to dislike him. His goofiness (LOL whenever he uses English) has overshadowed his pettiness for me for now, so I still like him. It's also clear that he cares about her and that there are a lot of unresolved feelings.  I cannot wait to see both of them let down their walls and become more vulnerable with each other. Definitely on team DO-AJ! (Have you guys seen the BTS scenes on JTBC's youtube channel? If you haven't, I highly recommend. It's pretty heart fluttering stuff haha)

It's pretty clear that DO and AJ is end game, but I don't think that's a bad thing. A lot of korean dramas are predictable in terms of the OTP. I'm more interested in the journey than the end results. I'm really glad that they're end game though because I almost always have second lead syndrome, and as many of you can relate, it really freaking sucks LOL.

Just thinking out loud but here are some theories/ random thoughts:

1.) In Da Som's character summary, she's described to have liked DO in the past. I feel like the misunderstanding between DO and AJ has to do with her. Maybe what she saw through that window was Da Som's character getting a little too close to DO, but that still feels weak as hell for AJ to just disappear like that. I feel like a single conversation with him would have cleared it all up. Maybe AJ and DO got into a fight before she found out she was pregnant? Maybe she thought they had broken up and when she went to go tell him the news, she saw him with Da Som's character? Maybe she inferred that he had moved on? It can't be as simple as that though. If you guys watched the 5 minute preview clip that JTBC uploaded, you can see AJ hugging RJ the same night she saw something through the window. RJ definitely played a hand in her moving on without DO. 

2. RJ is sketchy as hell. If he played a hand in AJ and DO breaking up, I don't see how he could still be such good friends with DO, but they clearly are. Did he value his relationship with DO more than he valued a relationship with AJ? I don't know...it's confusing because he obviously was interested her in the past and is going to be a love interest of AJ now. Why would he encourage DO to think that the reason AJ broke up with him was because of money? What would incentivize him to say that? It's not like he ended up with AJ anyway, so why break them up in the first place if he had no intention of pursuing her? It also seems like he knew that AJ was in the film industry. If he has been keeping tabs on AJ, why would he not let DO know when he has seen first hand how hard it was for him to cope with the break up? I don't know. We haven't really spent a lot of time with RJ, but he just seems like a shi**y friend so far.  He wants to be friends with DO, but not have him be with AJ because he can't "have" her? I don't know! Thoughts?

3.) I don't like the loan shark. I don't like that his right hand man essentially threatened to do something to AJ's family if she couldn't come up with the money. I get that we're going to see his softer side once he starts interacting with his son, but I really don't think I can get on board with AJ-PD being a thing.

I really cannot wait for this week's episodes and am looking forward to more discussion!

@ErikaJ Welcome to the FORUM! OMG Born Again, I was not active in it but DANG I agree it was major face palm for me.

I agree I have seen SJH dramas and if I watch someone I like-I am very lenient on the plot and story and over acting/bad acting as I am watching it for someone I enjoy watching. This said, I loved Son Ho Jun as an actor and he DEF has been great in all the dramas I have watched him. He is doing a stand up job and looking forward to their scenes as OTP alot!

Yes the child actress as the daughter is great! (This recent slate of child actors are amazing I noticed. So solid and good.) She is great in her scenes and I look forward to seeing her on the screen as well.

We know we will see more of our OTP. I concur with you that it is the JOURNEY that is key (even if the plot has predictability) I love a good journey if it is well written. Def agree SJH prior dramas were not up to her usual potential. I find her in more serious scenes better. But cause I love her, I admit I give lots of leeway. But she is not annoying or horrible by any means, but her dazzling smile I love when she does show it.

Looking forward to more scenes of the mother, SJH and daughter if possible, the obstacles of SJH partnering with ODH as AJ. You know he will help her (or how can he still be in her life for another 14 episodes?)

Glad that the daughter has puppy there to help her out. I love her budding friendship with the loan shark's son who seems sensitive and sweet.

While I'm really really REALLY loving the idea of a romance between AJ and the gangster dad, I'm 100% positive that it's going to be AJ/ODO at the end of the day. This strikes me as a definite second chance romance, especially since feelings still run strong there after 14 years apart. Not that I'm complaining because the second chance romances are my favorite but I would love to see them explore the possibility of AJ and the gangster. Unfortunately, then it completely eliminates the possibility of the kids having a romance in the future if the two adults get together [which they always like to keep open]. ./sigh. I can dream. 

It seems to me [like others here] that the famous actor was the one who split them apart somehow. I think he actually saw AJ at the movie premiere when she walked out also. Whether he saw that she was pregnant or not is up in the air. 

I think possibly ODO had to go out of town for some emergency and probably asked his actor friend to relay a message to AJ and instead the actor dude took advantage of it to get them to split for reasons as yet unknown. That would be why ODO was missing when AJ went to search for him. She thinks he abandoned her thanks to faulty info, she leaves school to raise her daughter, and BAM. Misunderstanding completed when ODO comes back and realizes she's dropped out with no word to him. 

Anyways, I'm invested so we'll have to see how this goes. 

Edit to add: I almost dropped this during the first ep because of the extreme over the top acting that was going on. I'm sure SJH was instructed to play it that way but oof. Thankfully, they had her tone it down enough in the second episode that I can get past those parts. 

1 hour ago, phikyl said:

While I'm really really REALLY loving the idea of a romance between AJ and the gangster dad, I'm 100% positive that it's going to be AJ/ODO at the end of the day.

I have a theory that there's already someone else there for the Scary Dude:  it's the Bartender Friend of the FL. 

Remember how the Bartender Friend talked to the FL about the broken glass and how it was still redeemable even though it was no longer perfect, how it could have another life, and how it could still produce something beautiful like a flower.  Yeah, she's the perfect choice for a perfectly imperfect character like Scary Dude.

1 hour ago, phikyl said:

I almost dropped this during the first ep because of the extreme over the top acting that was going on. I'm sure SJH was instructed to play it that way but oof. Thankfully, they had her tone it down enough in the second episode that I can get past those parts. 

Although I know it is not a popular opinion, I felt exactly the same.  The exaggerated eye-rolling and  the OTT facial expressions and the sometimes shrill line-delivery were bothersome and distracting.   At the end of the first episode, I felt nothing but dislike for the FL. 

However, I understand that she has a very good reputation as an actress and I understand that the acting decisions could have been the choice of the director--I genuinely hope both of those notions are true.   And I'm willing to give this show a few more episodes to prove itself.

.....And as a side note:  I want to say that I have decided that I am not even gonna bother with names in this drama because there are too many characters and I don't think things need to get over-complicated in posts.  I will describe instead.  It's easy enough then to tell Scary Dude from Teacher or whomever without resorting to names and initials.

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Although I know it is not a popular opinion, I felt exactly the same.  The exaggerated eye-rolling and  the OTT facial expressions and the sometimes shrill line-delivery were bothersome and distracting.   At the end of the first episode, I felt nothing but dislike for the FL. 

However, I understand that she has a very good reputation as an actress and I understand that the acting decisions could have been the choice of the director--I genuinely hope both of those notions are true.   And I'm willing to give this show a few more episodes to prove itself.

I've seen her in other things where her acting isn't OTT, which is why I decided to push through the second episode. That and we had only gotten like 5 seconds of face time with ODO! 

I knew all the background scenes were him but I kept waiting and waiting to see his face. I loved the actor in Go Back Couple and he was the reason I decided to push through the 1st ep and keep watching. I'm not sure I would have continued if I didn't know that he was going to be onscreen at some point. 

28 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I'm not sure I would have continued if I didn't know that he was going to be onscreen at some point. 

That's me as well.   I'm still hopeful that this drama will be entertaining.   

6 minutes ago, corey said:

I should hide in shame for not seeing this obvious solution, heh.

No shame!  I could be super-wrong.  (And I often have been.)  However, I just can't imagine not putting those two fabulous characters together--they seem like a match made in KDrama second lead heaven.  :D

8 minutes ago, corey said:

However, just as a side note - there are some actors that I do recognize and recently I was trying to watch shows solely to see them and I just couldn't because the drama was very much not to my taste.

I feel your pain.  There is an actor (who shall remain nameless) that I admired tremendously in one role.....but it turns out that it is that only one role; just about everything else he has acted in is a hot mess.  So disappointing.

Our lead actor here has an odd edge that helps him to play "character" type roles rather than a typical leading man, and he's good at it.  He suits the role in this drama.  

12 hours ago, ErikaJ said:

It's pretty clear that DO and AJ is end game, but I don't think that's a bad thing. A lot of korean dramas are predictable in terms of the OTP. I'm more interested in the journey than the end results. I'm really glad that they're end game though because I almost always have second lead syndrome, and as many of you can relate, it really freaking sucks LOL.

If you guys watched the 5 minute preview clip that JTBC uploaded, you can see AJ hugging RJ the same night she saw something through the window. RJ definitely played a hand in her moving on without DO.

Sorry for cutting your post short but I totally agree with your point here that most kdramas are predictable and the focus has been not on guessing who the female lead will end up with but how exactly will she end up with the male lead given the grim circumstances. Where this drama appears more interesting than rest is that the lead has a 14 year old daughter so it is not just a love story but also a story of a daughter searching for her dad.

And can someone pls link the 5 min preview clip? I can't find it on youtube!!!

7 hours ago, thistle said:

I have a theory that there's already someone else there for the Scary Dude:  it's the Bartender Friend of the FL. 

Remember how the Bartender Friend talked to the FL about the broken glass and how it was still redeemable even though it was no longer perfect, how it could have another life, and how it could still produce something beautiful like a flower.  Yeah, she's the perfect choice for a perfectly imperfect character like Scary Dude.

Oh this would be fab!! Her character is such a beautiful soul- I do hope that the show explores this love line!!

1 hour ago, corey said:

Since I am very new to K-Dramas, I recognize very few K-Actors and I had no idea that he is so popular. However, just as a side note - there are some actors that I do recognize and recently I was trying to watch shows solely to see them and I just couldn't because the drama was very much not to my taste. I hope this would not be the case.

I've only seen him in Go Back Couple so I don't have a lot of reference but that show is hands down in my top 5 kdramas. So even if this show is a hot mess, I would probably watch it if he does well with the character. We're only 2 eps in but I'm not disappointed so far. 

27 minutes ago, rita96 said:

And can someone pls link the 5 min preview clip? I can't find it on youtube!!!

I found the JTBC Drama channel but I lacked the necessary patience to ferret out which video was the correct clip.   There are a lot of videos posted.  It's in there somewhere.  I'm sure that someone else can be of more help than I.  Sorry.

14 hours ago, ErikaJ said:

No doubt, if you couldn't tell by my profile picture, I'm a HUGE Song Ji Hyo stan. That being said, I'm not totally biased in the sense that I will stop watching her dramas if I think they're going no where (Lovely Horribly, Ex-Girlfriends Club). The aforementioned dramas were written terribly. Luckily, I'm actually quite hopeful that this will be her best drama yet. 

In terms of Ji Hyo's acting, I definitely think the over acting is purposeful like some of you have mentioned. She's emphasizing the comedic elements of the drama by doing so. Still, I kind of wish that she maintained the same clarity of tone in her voice while she's acting. For instance, the scene in the past where AJ is with DO by the riverside, it's very clear what she's saying, but in the scenes where DO is confronting AJ in the hotel, it's much muddier. It feels like she's putting too much emphasis on her words? Sort of like she has some phlegm in her throat or something. It's kind of hard to explain, but I definitely have noticed that she can improve her acting in this way. She's definitely getting some deserved criticism by k-netizens, but I don't think it's irredeemable or terrible like some have implied. I definitely think that the ratings should be higher 100%. 

On to the drama itself....

As mentioned previously, I think it has a lot of potential. Although the first episode was a bit on the slower/heavier side, I found myself really emotionally connected to AJ and HN's relationship. The acting chops on that kid though! LOL, I was tearing up when they had that misunderstanding when PD was at the school. I'm really looking forward to their scenes together, and the eventual interactions HN will have with her father. The slowness of the first episode can definitely be attributed to the writer having to set up all the relationships and essential character qualities. 

The second episode is where the drama glows up. SHJ's presence on the screen definitely livened things up, and I found myself re-watching DO scenes and the ones he had with AJ the most out of anything else. He definitely has some blind spots. Obviously, we don't know what exactly the misunderstanding between AJ and DO was, but what we do know is that he has blamed everything on her, as implied by his short story. "She vanished into thin air" like there was no rhyme or reason for her leaving. He's going to have to grow up and see that there definitely was fault on his side. That being said, even though he has been a total jerk to AJ thus far, it's hard to dislike him. His goofiness (LOL whenever he uses English) has overshadowed his pettiness for me for now, so I still like him. It's also clear that he cares about her and that there are a lot of unresolved feelings.  I cannot wait to see both of them let down their walls and become more vulnerable with each other. Definitely on team DO-AJ! (Have you guys seen the BTS scenes on JTBC's youtube channel? If you haven't, I highly recommend. It's pretty heart fluttering stuff haha)

Just thinking out loud but here are some theories/ random thoughts:

1.) In Da Som's character summary, she's described to have liked DO in the past. I feel like the misunderstanding between DO and AJ has to do with her. Maybe what she saw through that window was Da Som's character getting a little too close to DO, but that still feels weak as hell for AJ to just disappear like that. I feel like a single conversation with him would have cleared it all up. Maybe AJ and DO got into a fight before she found out she was pregnant? Maybe she thought they had broken up and when she went to go tell him the news, she saw him with Da Som's character? Maybe she inferred that he had moved on? It can't be as simple as that though. If you guys watched the 5 minute preview clip that JTBC uploaded, you can see AJ hugging RJ the same night she saw something through the window. RJ definitely played a hand in her moving on without DO. 

2. RJ is sketchy as hell. If he played a hand in AJ and DO breaking up, I don't see how he could still be such good friends with DO, but they clearly are. Did he value his relationship with DO more than he valued a relationship with AJ? I don't know...it's confusing because he obviously was interested her in the past and is going to be a love interest of AJ now. Why would he encourage DO to think that the reason AJ broke up with him was because of money? What would incentivize him to say that? It's not like he ended up with AJ anyway, so why break them up in the first place if he had no intention of pursuing her? It also seems like he knew that AJ was in the film industry. If he has been keeping tabs on AJ, why would he not let DO know when he has seen first hand how hard it was for him to cope with the break up? I don't know. We haven't really spent a lot of time with RJ, but he just seems like a shi**y friend so far.  He wants to be friends with DO, but not have him be with AJ because he can't "have" her? I don't know! Thoughts?

3.) I don't like the loan shark. I don't like that his right hand man essentially threatened to do something to AJ's family if she couldn't come up with the money. I get that we're going to see his softer side once he starts interacting with his son, but I really don't think I can get on board with AJ-PD being a thing.

I really cannot wait for this week's episodes and am looking forward to more discussion!

Hi @ErikaJ! It's good to see another Song Ji Hyo fan here. I'm also a big fan of hers, and like you, she's also in my display picture. Haha. And also, I'm not biased when it comes to comments as to what kind of and how she is as an actress/celebrity or how she has acted in her drama or movies. Haha. It's just that for me, even though she's capable of and lacking in something, she still is able to deliver the right amount of emotions she's trying to deliver. I've seen all of her dramas and movies and I can say that it's not all the time that she was able to perform well shows and movies, but those kind of things that can be improved never stopped me from loving her. Haha. 

Back to the drama, yes, the first two episodes are really the introductory part. Those two episodes showed us who Ae Jung is and who the people around her are. It's such a good decision to have chosen the child actress playing her daughter Ha Nee. The four male leads too, I believe match the character descriptions well. 

It is like how you have said for sure - the obvious end game here would be her with Oh Dae O since he was the one whom obviously she had feelings for and perhaps still has. With Ryu Jin, I believe she had a crush on him way before she knew ODO's feelings towards her. So when she was asked by Goo Pa Do to cast RJ, she obviously knows the guy actor but she can no longer remember the feelings. Way contrasting with how she acted when she found out Cheon Eok Man is ODO himself when she was asked to sign him up as the writer/to have his copyright's approval. And also this drama's title was supposed to be "Begin Again". Haha.

Re: Your Theory 1 - That's a good point you have in there. Maybe A Ran was in the picture when she and DO had a misunderstanding which made it more complicated because that led to another misunderstanding. So maybe at that time that AJ went to DO's place on that rainy night when he wasn't around, RJ took the chance to comfort AJ (the trailer scene we saw where RJ hugged the feeling lost/blank AJ). We stll have yet to find out who really AR is and was in their lives so we can further learn how she has affected those three.

Your Theory 2 - Speaking of RJ, one of the reasons why I think he's NH's father was his relationship with DO. They're obviously very close and I'm thinking that maybe they are actually brothers. And that Oh Yeon Woo was his real name. Maybe at that time when he was comforting the feeling lost/blank AJ, he took the opportunity to show and confess what he feels for her. Which made him like a kind of person that a person shouldn't be. Maybe that's why AJ "vanished into thin air". But of course, I know that this might not really be the case. However, it's also possible that when DO was venting out his anger and sadness towards AJ's abandonment of him, there's a possibility that RJ was involved in some kind of sort of thing. Maybe he was the one who saw PD and his wife that is AJ's lookalike, maybe it was AR, or maybe both of them. We still have yet to find out if it was his relationship with AR that should be considered as a secret since I think AR will be very much happy to have her relationship open with DO. If RJ ends up to be a very skeptical person/shutty change u to i kind of person, that's really messed up. Haha. He should be thrown out of the ship/bus unless he redeems himself and put things back in order. Haha. Also, it's also possible that he knew AJ was pregnant but couldn't tell whose child she's carrying so he just kept his mouth shut. That's why perhaps he has been sad/lonely/secretive as per his character description. Haha.

Theory 3 - I can't say much because I like his interaction with AJ. Although it's pretty scary in real life to experience a gang leader to be in your visibility, I believe PD will be harmless to her since her daughter is going to be very close with his son. And I'm sure if he doesn't end up with AJ, he might have the lookalike back in his life (if she's not really dead yet) or AJ's friend in the bar as @thistle has mentioned. Haha.

With so many theories around, I really can't wait to watch another episode to see whether to check or cross out some of my speculations. Haha. Great that it's already Wednesday today! Finally! Haha! 

10 hours ago, phikyl said:

I think possibly ODO had to go out of town for some emergency and probably asked his actor friend to relay a message to AJ and instead the actor dude took advantage of it to get them to split for reasons as yet unknown. That would be why ODO was missing when AJ went to search for him. She thinks he abandoned her thanks to faulty info, she leaves school to raise her daughter, and BAM. Misunderstanding completed when ODO comes back and realizes she's dropped out with no word to him. 

Anyways, I'm invested so we'll have to see how this goes. 

Hi @phikyl! Oh, this is such a good point! He probably has taken that kind of route because of hidden agenda/bitterness at that time. So maybe that's why the obvious guilt on his face when DO was crying out in desperation was pretty evident. 

@rita96 @thistle

I trying to find the 5 min preview but this one is short one by NETFLIX.

I am having a hard time finding the 5 minute one. Only this 1min 11 second one. Limited posts on this drama. Sad.

JTBC has blocked episode clips for me in my country USA. So only could post these BTS ones and the official NETFLIX trailer.

Cute making video BTS

Spoiler

Archived