[Drama 2020] We were in Love, 우리 사랑했을까

0ly40

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@thistle My dear friend, love seeing you here.

I am Chinese American and Korean names are now more comfortable to me after only 17 years watching Korean dramas and having Korean friends. As my mom said, all American names and faces looked alike for her when she first came over. When I am initially I need the character chart in the beginning as reference myself. I don’t recall character names well myself. So not Remembering is fine BUT as long as we as forum members know who you are referring to is more important. One forum I don’t even care for the character cameo - I call her ‘leech.’

I was nodding my head on my agreement with your comments about the dad and ODO and AJ - due to my Kdrama history knowledge too. Lol.

@hibiscus23 Please join us after DM! Or whenever you can join us!

@shaym I too love a Song Ji Hyo from Running a Man as well . So I have watched the majority of her dramas. I love her as a person too. My korean language dongseng met her younger brother while traveling in Europe. He doesn’t know Korean celebrities but asked me if I knew of her. I was freaking out! Such a small world!

11 hours ago, thistle said:

Perhaps it should be.  However, I have Aphasia.  This means that I have difficulty in comprehending and recalling new information.  When I first became ill, I forgot completely how to read and had to learn all over again.  Reading is a skill that I struggle with daily.  Watching subbed dramas is actually helpful to me in this regard because I have to work quite hard sometimes to enjoy them.  If I forget names or initials along the way, that's something I have to deal with.  I enjoy attempting to communicate about dramas because that is helpful to me as well.  

I have particular problems with language acquistion.  Korean and Chinese are especially incomprehensible to me.  After nearly 15 years of watching Japanese dramas, I can still only command about a dozen words in the language.  It can be very dis-heartening to desire to understand but to be completely unable to do so.

I'm sure that you did not intend to be judgmental but it's good to remember that every person has a challenge in life, and we should not jump to conclusions before getting to know what they might be.  We cannot assume that each person is as able as another.

There was absolutely no offense intended especially as a person with similar various learning & other disabilities myself, I was merely making a "*winkwink* yeah, isn't it hard keeping track of all these ppl & chars lol" kind of fannish camaraderie comment.. (thus the ;P lol) I even have similar difficulties with languages too, I grew up around both French & Spanish but only latched onto English & still need captions on all English media due to audio-processing issues & reading what I'm hearing is the only way to truly absorb whatever ppl are saying, etc etc. & while I'm still persistent in ~trying to learn other languages anyway, I will likely never be able to speak anything else fluently nor read them at a "speaking pace" & yes, that's definitely frustrating. 

Even moreso as an aspie, my obsessive urge to study languages as well as other detail-oriented hobbies (ie basic html coding, making lists- of literally everything, & so on) is an oxymoronic constant battle with my said various learning & memory issues. The main reason I took on the immense task of transcribing & translating those MBTI pics was for the challenge, & to reinforce recognition of the various Hangul symbols (typing with a Korean keyboard for the Hangul quotes) which are so simple yet so complicated, omg. They are so easy to mix up & the cursive versions are even more harder to read! Still, it is one struggle I actually enjoy in life. 

So yes, I have difficulty with names etc too & I can end up checking & rechecking cast lists a hundred times or more when involved in any media.. but I think it's fun <3 That's all.. sorry that my sincere intentions weren't more obvious. :cookie:

3 hours ago, Nodame said:

@shaym I too love a Song Ji Hyo from Running a Man as well . So I have watched the majority of her dramas. I love her as a person too. My korean language dongseng met her younger brother while traveling in Europe. He doesn’t know Korean celebrities but asked me if I knew of her. I was freaking out! Such a small world!

Likewise @Nodame! I agree with you about what you've said about Song Ji Hyo. :) Wow! Such a small world indeed. Your Korean Language dongsaeng is so lucky; maybe in the long run, it'll be Song Ji Hyo that s/he will see/meet! Haha!

@shaym The dongseng is actually shy. They saw each other on a long walk twice (it is a long walking trek). In fact they did meet up in Korea later on too because of bonding during that trip. Not sure if he met her, but cool he can contact the brother as his hyung. I am jealous ! I said let him know if not weird your pal in the USA is a big fan!

9 hours ago, corey said:

So, what is your prediction, pretty please (i.e. the poll result?) What is AU version? So basically you think that AJ will go back to the father of the child, as I think she will? 

Oops, I thought it was clear I was ditto'ing the other responses, hehe. :sweat_smile: 

Yeah, I theorized about it in an earlier post in which all signs seem to point to DaeOh.. so I'm expecting to be totally not surprised yet hoping that it will surprise me anyway LOL :lol:

AU means "Alternate Universe" (or "altverse" for short) &/or "alternate version", often used when fans wish a story went different ways (fanon) than it did in the official version (canon), to the point of ~rebooting the entire story. Which can be very fun to think about! :blush:

9 hours ago, corey said:

@SimbiAni sunshine and brightness can be seen as immature, because life in general sucks (and then you die) but you need to live a little to see that, lol. So I belive YW is all sunshine party maybe because he is the youngest? But I would not call him immature - ODO is the one who I consider immature. YW is squarely in the friends zone, sadly.

Oh I agree, life can be a downright miserable place overall, & I've been living through some wicked pains of all kinds- but all the more reason for me to crave that goodness, purity & sunshine & optimistic idealist type, lol I believe we as people can be heavily influenced by those we are around the most & having personally been surrounded by toxic people for so long my own attitude can be horrible too, yet I try really hard to still put on a (genuine) happy face so I can make other people happy (sincerely) because that makes me happy, knowing any little effort could just maybe improve someone else's day at least a little bit, & I just realized how incredibly dorky that sounds but.. :love: 

I call myself an "optimistic pessimist" (or vice-versa), "the glass is always both" (50/50 or 60/40, depending on the day) kinda person, haha. When I was younger, I had a motto: "Happiness can be a choice; sadness isn't." Basically it was a way of helping explain my feelings & why I constantly have to make a conscious choice to look on the brighter side instead of dwelling on all the negativity; because being purposely positive can truly make a difference. Maybe that's why I identify with YW so much.. similar situations too, hehe. ^_^ 

I just finished the first two episodes and I'm placing my bet that Oh Dae-oh is the father just because I'm biased with Son Ho-jun hahaha. But seriously though, as some of you here pointed out, Ae-jung reacted differently with ODO compared to Ryu Jin and Oh Yeon-woo (who were also people from her past).

Surprisingly though, I'm looking forward for more "Koo Pa-do as father scenes". I kinda want this tough guy to go soft with his son.

1 hour ago, SimbiAni said:

Here's some direct links to posts that answer your question: 

Posted October 25, 2019 / Posted January 28 / Posted June 6 / Posted Saturday at 01:10 AM 

& a really interesting trailer :kiss_wink: 

Perfect this is what i really need!!

Big thanks for the link 

It really helpful 

Really excited for next episode

22 hours ago, jannedrumsit said:

The Dad is ODO, no one can change my mind, not even the writer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to characters' stories between 2006 to 2020, and also the investigation that HN will do to find her father.

Ahahahaaa i also strongly believe that one of the suspect is ODO. For me, Ha Nee dad is between ODO and RJ :)

Even the writernim luring us as they show that baby teacher name is written in the book as the dad..

@SimbiAni  High five to you ! (I try to live my life by what you believe! YESH!) Not always easy but all your words resonated with me. I apply it to my daily life not always easy but it helps-every little bit. Thanks for kindly sharing!

As I am patiently waiting for the next episode later this week. I found this article.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1411974wpp/watch-son-ho-jun-tries-to-shield-song-ji-hyo-from-the-rain-while-filming-was-it-love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0MLSIdqNqQ

Hi everybody! Glad to see many friends and familiar names on this thread! :kiss_wink:@Alice Wonderland @sadthe1st @corey @thistle

I just finished the first 2 episodes and I was pleasantly surprised. I think the first episode was a bit weak filled with cliches, but the 2nd episode was an improvement.

I really like Song Ji Hyo and Son Ho Jun! I was surprised to see Healer Ahjumma play Noh Ae Jung's mom, but it kind of makes sense because she played the FL's mom also in Go Back Couple where Son Ho Jun was the ML. :D

The actress playing NAJ's daughter is very talented! I haven't seen her around before.

I like all of the suitors, but, ooh, the gangster guy Goo Pa Do is pretty hot! :love:

:dorakiss:

So, here is my theory:

• With 99% certainty Oh Dae O is the father of Noh Ha Nee. It's clear that he and NAJ were in a relationship - there is still resentment between the two due to a series of misunderstandings. There were real feelings between the two of them.
  • Ryu Jin was the reason for the breakup. Either he was in love with NAJ (or he was in love with ODO - less likely)
  • The teacher probably had some puppy love for NAJ and wanted to step up and become a dad for Ha Nee while NAJ was pregnant. It's clear, though, that NAJ has no romantic feelings for him.
  • The gangster's ex wife looks like NAJ
  • With my years of watching k-dramas :joy: I can already tell that the end game is Oh Dae O and Noh Ae Jung
    (99% of the time the ML and FL end up together)

What I'm waiting to see is how Oh Dae O is going to react once he finds out he has a daughter and the anger he will feel towards NAJ for not telling him. It will surely cause him feelings that he has been betrayed. To miss out on your own child's childhood years will not be easy to accept.

Btw, I would be kind of intrigued to see Husband Over Flowers!!! Anyone else? :joy:

Waiting for Wednesday!

46 minutes ago, L haha said:

why do u say this? wait the lady in HongKong costume is his wife?

That's my guess yes. :kiss_wink:

It makes sense that he's watching videos of his deceased wife. It seems that she might be someone whom he met when he was a gangster. Maybe she was Chinese?

Last week, when the gangster was speaking Chinese (I was think, wait why is it not Korean?) It was a mish mash of Canto with Mandarin accents ? (It sound like that to me. LOL) But applause for the actor trying to say it. It is nice to see GD brother in law back in a drama. It has been awhile. He does have swag for sure to be the loan shark/gangster.

Unexpected he has a son who is an outcast and in school with AJ daughter. I like the kids growing friendship.

@partyon Agreed!  With my 17+ years of watching Korean Dramas---I agree strongly with your theories too.

y'all.. :open_mouth:

y'all.. :smirk:

I just realized the "last" names of our "main-main leads".. :yum:

..could = "OHNO! COUPLE" except we got us ~double Oh's :lol: 

sooo.. "Team OHNOOH? OHOHNO?" trio-ship FTW! ahaha :D

7 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Perfect this is what i really need!!

Big thanks for the link It really helpful 

Really excited for next episode

Very welcome! :heart: 

2 hours ago, Nodame said:

@SimbiAni  High five to you ! (I try to live my life by what you believe! YESH!) Not always easy but all your words resonated with me. I apply it to my daily life not always easy but it helps-every little bit. Thanks for kindly sharing! 

Thank you too for your reply! Inspiring others is one of the best things we can do for each other, & it's one of the big reasons I started loving fandoms in the first place! :wub:

31 minutes ago, Nodame said:

@partyon Agreed with my 17+years of watching Korean Dramas---I agree strongly with your theories too.

lol :D You've got a few more years under your belt than I have then. :D If you agree, I will change all 99% -> 100% in my previous post. :D

Spoiler

(PS. Sorry @Nodame for forgetting to tag you in my previous post - I've met you on the My Unfamiliar Family thread before)

What are your thoughts on Song Ji Hyo's acting? I saw that many people on Dramabeans were criticizing her and saying that she's overacting. I just think that the some of the "over-the-top" reactions we're seeing from her are actually how her character has been written.

Here is the link to the Dramabeans recap of ep 1.

EPISODE 1 RECAP

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/07/was-it-love-episode-1/

Hello everyone, popping by after watching the first 2 episodes !! I LOVE NETFLIX because they update simultaneously and the HD quality :) 

Have read around some of the comments so far and here are some of my thoughts/ response to some of the things you guys had mentioned (hope you don't mind): 

9 hours ago, partyon said:
  • With 99% certainty Oh Dae O is the father of Noh Ha Nee. It's clear that he and NAJ were in a relationship - there is still resentment between the two due to a series of misunderstandings. There were real feelings between the two of them.
  • Ryu Jin was the reason for the breakup. Either he was in love with NAJ (or he was in love with ODO - less likely)
  • The teacher probably had some puppy love for NAJ and wanted to step up and become a dad for Ha Nee while NAJ was pregnant. It's clear, though, that NAJ has no romantic feelings for him.
  • The gangster's ex wife looks like NAJ
  • With my years of watching k-dramas :joy: I can already tell that the end game is Oh Dae O and Noh Ae Jung
    (99% of the time the ML and FL end up together)

@partyon hi there, i can see you are a really seasoned drama-watcher, nice to meet you. I think you are right on the theories, it seems almost predictable based on the premise. Ok, but you never know if there will be some sort of twist in between? I am just curious what are the predictions for Ryujin being the reason for the breakup? I mean i could see/feel that Ryujin did have some sort of feelings to AJ...

But one way or another, i agree that its almost 100% SJH will end up with SHJ in the end lol. Anw, AJ's daughter is very cute? She reminds me of Kim Ji Won though, anyone feels the same? 

7 hours ago, Nodame said:

Last week, when the gangster was speaking Chinese (I was think, wait why is it not Korean?) It was a mish mash of Canto with Mandarin accents ? (It sound like that to me. LOL) But applause for the actor trying to say it. It is nice to see GD brother in law back in a drama. It has been awhile. He does have swag for sure to be the loan shark/gangster.

@Nodame hello ! I think it sounds like Cantonese? I think because i kind of associate loan sharks and gangsters to those in HK dramas that uses Cantonese. And because i understand and speak Chinese too, hmm i can't really comprehend what he was trying to say if it was Chinese LOL. 

6 hours ago, partyon said:

What are your thoughts on Song Ji Hyo's acting? I saw that many people on Dramabeans were criticizing her and saying that she's overacting. I just think that the some of the "over-the-top" reactions we're seeing from her are actually how her character has been written.

ooo i didn't read the comments but i found it okay? Like the first episode when AJ broke down and cried at home, i teared up as well :( i guess maybe everyone's accustomed to associating SJH to her RM persona, so they can't take her seriously when she acts? I believe that's the same for Kwangsoo ? But ok that's just my personal opinion because honestly i haven't watch much dramas with SJH inside...

Archived