[Drama 2020] Rugal, 루갈

larus

Murder and mania in trailer for sci-fi action drama Rugal

by tineybeanie

rugaltrailer14.jpg

OCN bionic superhero drama Rugal has dropped a new trailer before its premiere date later this month. The drama stars Choi Jin-hyuk (Justice, Devilish Joy) as a detective who loses his wife and sight to a shadowy terrorist organization named Argos, headed by Park Sung-woong’s (When the Devil Calls Your Name) character. On his path for revenge, he joins an elite group of cyborg soldiers called Rugal and is gifted with bioengineered artificial eyes.

The trailer begins with scenes of Choi Jin-hyuk’s wife’s death, and Park Sung-woong’s voiceover saying that revenge is for people who’ve been wronged. An open cargo container reveals victims of human trafficking bowing before Park Sung-woong and his henchmen.

Then, we skip to Choi Jin-hyuk’s eye implantation surgery, and he says that he can finally see clearly now. Interspersed between the scenes is the copy: “When that bastard destroyed everything, I was reborn.” Meanwhile, Choi Jin-hyuk demands answers from Park Sung-woong, “What do you want. Why are you doing this?”

A spray of arterial blood from a victim leads Park Sung-woong to smile maniacally, as he replies, “Shall I say, it’s the irreversible ecstasy you feel after your first murder.”

The Rugal team’s artificially enhanced combat training scenes are shown, and Choi Jin-hyuk resolved that Rugal has to give back as good a fight as they have gotten. And the trailer ends with Choi Jin-hyuk speaking to Park Sung-woong’s image displayed in an empty investigations room: “From now on, I’m going to catch you my way.”

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/03/murder-and-mania-in-trailer-for-sci-fi-action-drama-rugal/

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mina in action! :w00t:JHI looks so good & I love how she put alot of effort into the action sequences. Mina in the webtoon excels in combat & uses two blades similar to a landscape scythe. I hope we get to see her fight with blades alot on the show. 

B) CDH as Rugal team leader Taewoong with his hair done up like this is *chefs kiss*. Also, KDH as Seol Minjun, who's part of Argos, in hand to hand action sequence. I was looking forward to watching it on its initial date but it seem it has been pushed back :huh:.  Btw, I love how sleek everyone looks.

Rugal promotion:  ocn_original

Call for loving messages to Choi Jin Hyuk and Park Sung Woong during 3/4 to 3/18.
Choi Jin Hyuk and Park Sung Woong will read them and select the one and read them personally

Choi Jin-hyuk VS Park Sung-woong,  with your choice  'Rugal' previewing!

<Tunnel> Park Kwang-ho VS <Rugal> Kang Ki-bum!
Choi Jin Hyuk's Life Character   Blitz Comparison

10 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

@booha

The teaser on OCN IG account looks so bada$$. I like the tone & feel of it. The visual effects looks interesting. Differently unique take. I like the setup already, especially the whole gadget get up for the team. I'm so excited for the action. I know that everyone's been training enthusiatically since last fall. Jung Hye In going to kill it as Mina, I love that she takes the role seriously & wants to give a good performance. Im so excited to see Mina teach Kang. Aesthetically, I like what I'm seeing, from the surgical scene, Argos hall building, the gadgets, & outfits. I hope the show goes all out on the action & hits hard. It already looks promising. The webtoon is still ongoing so I'm not sure how it'll end but hopefully it's open ended in the drama.

Also will this be aired on Netflix? I'm not sure who's the US distributor for this show.

** Yes Netflix will broadcast Rugal :)

Rugal looks promising.   CJH said that he was curious about what kind of tone the drama would have.  Rugal is strictly an action drama so without projecting unique appeal it can easily wash off into many other action geared dramas.  Btw I noticed on a Rugal daum page many more names were added onto the production team.  And it’s good to know Rugal is rescheduled to  Sa/S from M/T.   It means there would be more viewers available for an action type drama like Rugal.  Still hoping a good budget is given to Rugal. 

Wow  Jung Hye-In has impressive legs.  

(from daum page)
Rugal production:   Jin-sun Song (Head producer), Noh Ji-yeon (Production), Kang Cheol-u ((**I think he’s the head PD), Lee Jung-su (PD), Sang-hoon Kang, Kim Gyo-re (producer), Do-hyun (writer)

Park Sun Ho Transforms Into A Rugged Bad Boy For “Rugal” + Talks About Preparing For His Role

Mar 6, 2020
by S. Park
dbfec8c54206472ba1c41a7705b8846d.jpeg?s=

Park Sun Ho will show off a new look in his upcoming drama “Rugal”!

Based on the webtoon of the same name, the OCN sci-fi action thriller will follow Rugal, a group of human weapons armed with special powers thanks to biotechnology, and their fight against the terrorist organization Argos.

On March 6, the drama released new stills of its stars Park Sun Ho and Kim Min Sang in character. In the photos, Kim Min Sang looks fierce as Choi Geun Chul, the head of Rugal’s Special Police Organization. In addition to a serious, grave charisma, the character shows off sharp instincts during negotiations.

Kim Min Sang remarked, “‘Rugal’ is not a simple structure of good versus evil, and each character has their own desperation to survive.” He humbly added, “I’m working hard with the thought that [since everyone else is already doing a great job,] things will go well as long as I do a good job.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1386998wpp/park-sun-ho-transforms-into-a-rugged-bad-boy-for-rugal-talks-about-preparing-for-his-role

JYJ’s Kim Jaejoong Shows Support For Choi Jin Hyuk’s Upcoming Drama

Mar 6, 2020
by E. Cha
57bd764f81644eaf9ff0d20130fa4b0f.jpeg?s=

JYJ’s Kim Jaejoong showed love for his friend Choi Jin Hyuk and his upcoming drama “Rugal”!

Choi Jin Hyuk will be starring in the new OCN drama “Rugal”—an adaptation of the webtoon of the same name—as Kang Ki Bum, a detective who embarks on a dangerous quest to bring down a powerful terrorist organization named Argos. After suffering a devastating tragedy, Kang Ki Bum ends up receiving a set of artificial eyes and joining an organization named Rugal, which has gathered a team of “human weapons” with special powers created through biotechnology.

On March 4, Kim Jaejoong took to Instagram to show his support for Choi Jin Hyuk. Posting two photos of a coffee truck that he had sent to the set of “Rugal” as a gift, the star wrote, “[The cast and crew] of the OCN drama ‘Rugal’ is working hard and toiling away during these difficult times. Friend, stay strong!”

Kim Jaejoong then added the hashtags “Rugal” and “Choi Jin Hyuk.”

The photos show a coffee truck adorned with photos of Choi Jin Hyuk and a banner that reads, “I’m cheering on Choi Jin Hyuk—an awesome friend and an awesome actor. Kim Jaejoong.” A second banner placed next to the truck reads, “To actor Choi Jin Hyuk and the cast and crew of the drama ‘Rugal,’ please gain strength during filming by drinking a warm cup of coffee! From Kim Jaejoong.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1387005wpp/jyjs-kim-jaejoong-shows-support-for-choi-jin-hyuks-upcoming-drama

Choi Jin Hyuk Has A Charged First Encounter With Park Sung Woong In “Rugal”

Drama Preview   Mar 9, 2020  by R. Jun
D1xXw7P.jpg

Upcoming OCN drama “Rugal” has revealed new stills of Choi Jin Hyuk and Park Sung Woong.

Based on the webtoon of the same name, “Rugal” stars Choi Jin Hyuk as Kang Ki Bum, an elite detective who attempts to bring down a nationwide criminal organization named Argos. In the process, he ends up being targeted by the powerful criminals behind Argos, and not only does he lose his beloved wife and both of his eyes, but he is also framed for murder. After joining an organization named Rugal, which has gathered a team of “human weapons” with special powers created through biotechnology, Kang Ki Bum receives a set of artificial eyes and sets out on a quest to wipe out Argos once and for all.

0g749GQ.jpg

In the new stills, we see Kang Ki Bum’s first encounter with Hwang Deuk Gu, the leader of Argos (played by Park Sung Woong).

Kang Ki Bum, dressed in his formal police uniform, stands soaked in rain with a mixture of devastation and anger on his face. Once inside, he is confronted by the Argos leader as alarmed bystanders look on.

Spoiler

PKVjvFT.jpg

HewEs42.jpg

A source from the drama said, “The history between Kang Ki Bum and Hwang Deuk Gu, who represent good and evil, is central to the story of ‘Rugal.’ The relationship between the two, who relentlessly pursue each other, and the unpredictable course of events that further complicate matters will create constant tension. Please look forward to the synergy between Choi Jin Hyuk and Park Sung Woong, who have brought their characters to life with their incredible acting.”

OCN’s “Rugal” premieres March 28 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

lpaa5y1.jpg

https://www.soompi.com/article/1387451wpp/choi-jin-hyuk-has-a-charged-first-encounter-with-park-sung-woong-in-rugal

@booha

It's good thing Netflix has rights to it. I can easily watch it then lol. I wished it was aired on its initial date but I can understand the push for the later date. I hope everyone's doing well & the cast/production team takes good care of themselves. 

I know right, she has impressive legs. Her kicks are well executed although not as clean if it was a stunt double but that's alright. I like that she doing all her action/fight scenes with seriousness. She looks really good. The production/budget looks good from the teaser but I'll have to watch the show to get a good feel of it. I hope & probably will be, better than 'Kill It'. The action sequence from the teaser alone looks nice. The cast seem like they're gonna bring their A game when it comes to the fight choreography. I'm still a bit nervous about the direction but hopefully the director can pull it off.  

Watch: Choi Jin Hyuk, Jung Hye In, And Park Sun Ho Are Haunted By Ghosts Of Their Past In “Rugal”

Mar 12, 2020
by C. Hong
c5cff32e62f94631bce205c7e91b93e5.jpeg?s=

With a little over two weeks until its premiere, OCN’s upcoming drama “Rugal” has released a new teaser.

“Rugal” is based on a webtoon of the same name and tells the story of an elite detective (Choi Jin Hyuk) who attempts to bring down a nationwide criminal organization named Argos. When he is targeted by the powerful criminals behind Argos, he loses his wife, his eyes, and is framed for murder. An organization named Rugal, which is building a team of “human weapons” with special powers created through biotechnology, offers him a chance to rebuild his life through a set of artificial eyes and the chance to wipe out Argos once and for all.

The new teaser begins with Choi Jin Hyuk experiencing flashbacks of the brutal murder of his wife as the doctors in Rugal install his artificial eyes. The teaser explains that “Rugal” is a combination of the Chinese characters for “tears” and “dry” and states, “When your tears run dry, you become a monster.”

Juxtaposed with scenes of Park Sung Woong (who plays one of the top villains behind Argos), Choi Jin Hyuk, Jung Hye In, and Park Sun Ho struggle to adjust to their new biotechnology. Even though their new weapons make them stronger in a fight, they continue to be haunted by memories from their past.

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1387769wpp/watch-choi-jin-hyuk-jung-hye-in-park-sun-ho-haunted-ghosts-past-rugal-teaser

Official Netflix teaser with ENG subtitles posted by the Swoon YT channel. I'm so excited for it.

@booha

The longer highlight reel looks awesome. I'm hoping to see them all in action. OCN has the highlight on their IG page. I'm looking forward to the team's chemistry & teamwork.

@greenwatch08

You mentioned about ‘enhanced & non enhanced’ Rugal members. 

It looks like Lee Kwang Cheol in the drama became ‘enhanced’ with a different background, a police dropout with bio-body parts.
 Also Bradly & Suzan appear to be 100% Korean.  
 PS Jang In-Sub plays Bradley. JIS has the same agency with CJH and he appeared in two of CJH’s dramas before.  His parts weren’t big but I thought they were nicely developed.

Bradley(32 yrs)

Spoiler

He is in charge of producing various action objects [tools to help the Rugal team members improve their combat power].
He is a science genius who taught himself after dropping out of junior high school and went to a famous overseas engineering school.  
His outstanding skills in the field of artificial intelligence is recognized by Choi Geun-Cheol  who scouted him to Rugal.

Suzan(29 yrs)

Spoiler

Researcher at Rugal's biomechanic center
She was a medical student previously, but, due to her unfortunate childhood, she distrusted society and institutions and she didn’t care how her talent was used as long as she got paid well.
However, after an accidental encounter with Choi Geun-Cheol, she is persuaded by his passion for justice and decides to use her talent for the right thing and joins Rugal’s research team.

Chief Oh (Park Chung-seon) X Bradley(Jang In-Sub) X Suzan(Jang Seo-kyung)

480SkjL.jpg

https://entertain.v.daum.net/v/20200313153453226

A man in a black jacket visited a Rugal set (Jang In-Sub &Jang Seo-kyung)

Spoiler

Chief Oh (Park Choong-sun ): Former surgeon at K Hospital. Currently in charge of Rugal's transplant surgery. ((**He’s not in the char diagram))

**Rugal character diagram
 ((Rugal team))

(row1)
Choi Geun-cheol (Kim Min-sang): Senior police officer: Head of Rugal
Han Taewoong (Jo Dong-hyuk): Rugal's group leader, with artificial arms.

(row 2)

Song Mina (Jung Hye-in): Former detective: An artificial chip is

implanted behind the neck and joined Rugal.
Kang Ki-bum (Choi Jin-hyuk): A promising ex-homicide detective: Has

artificial eyes.
Lee Gwang-cheol (Park Sun-ho): Dropped out of the police force: Artificial

skin and organs transplanted and joined Rugal.

(row3)

Bradley (Jang In-sub): Researcher dedicated to the mechanics of Rugal.
Susan (Jang Seo-kyung): Rugal's biomechanical researcher.

((Argos team))

(row1)
Choi Ye-won (Han Ji-wan): Argos President Ko Yong-deok’s lover: The legal

successor after the death of President Ko Yong-deok.
Ko Yong-deok (Park Jung-hak): Argos President: Argos' predecessor,

the Fire Ants boss.

(row2)

Min Dal-ho (Yoo Sang-hoon): Argos' acting captain and Hwang Deuk-koo's

right arm.
Hwang Deuk-koo (Park Sung-woong): Argos' real boss and absolute evil.

(row3)
Choi Yong (Kim In-woo): Argos Construction CEO: The middle boss rank #4.
Jang Mi-joo/madam Jang (Yoo Ji-yeon): Representative of the US production:

The middle boss, rank #5.
Bong Man-cheol (Ji Dae-han): Mopin Savings Bank CEO: The middle boss, rank #5.
Seol Min-joon (Kim Da-hyun): Argos Entertainment CEO: Jazz bar operation:

The middle boss rank #6.

Spoiler

J7hKVtO.jpg?1

https://nabom-house.tistory.com/442

March 18 2020

Ep.1 trailer for OCN drama series “Rugal”

Rugal-ep01trailerSM1.jpg

Ep.1 trailer added for upcoming OCN drama series “Rugal” starring Choi Jin-Hyuk and Park Sung-Woong. The action drama series is based on webcomic “Rugal” by Rilmae. Ep.1 trailer begins with Choi Jin-Hyuk stating in Korean “On that day, I should have died. Because living is humiliation.” This, while having his eyes gouged out.

“Rugal” first airs March 28, 2020 in South Korea.

http://blog.asianwiki.com/korean-dramas/ep-1-trailer-for-ocn-drama-series-rugal

@booha

Thanks for the character description. Wow so many characters! I'm glad they kept the essence of the webtoon in the drama like the Argos leader ranking. I'm a bit sad that Bradley & Susan aren't who they are like in the webtoon because it would make the Rugal Team(physical fighters) much bigger & diverse but I'm glad that the characters are in the show nonetheless but with a different occupation. Bradley & Suzan

being the brains behind the biochemical engineering/artificial intelligence of Rugal sounds so awesome! I like the stage setting of the promo stills. I hope they both interact alot together like in the webtoon. They're actually really good/close friends before they joined Rugal in the webtoon so hopefully it shows their teamwork & friendship in the drama. 

On 3/16/2020 at 10:41 AM, booha said:

Chief Oh (Park Choong-sun ): Former surgeon at K Hospital. Currently in charge of Rugal's transplant surgery. ((**He’s not in the char diagram))

**Rugal character diagram
 ((Rugal team))

(row1)
Choi Geun-cheol (Kim Min-sang): Senior police officer: Head of Rugal
Han Taewoong (Jo Dong-hyuk): Rugal's group leader, with artificial arms.

(row 2)

~deleted~

@larus Can we put this info on first page first post? I have a feeling we'll have to refer to it often while watching so we are clear who is who. Thanks in advance!!

Archived