[Drama 2020] Rugal, 루갈

larus

On 10/18/2019 at 9:00 AM, triplem said:

@booha @jongski  I am happy he’s confirmed this . I love most OCN dramas ( except horror ) . 
@larus happy to see that PSW ‘s confirmed . He seems to always end up working with the oppas I love - Park Hae Jin , Jung Kyung Ho . And I really liked Justice . Storyline could hv been tighter but he was great in it . 
@ktcjdrama tagging you here as well . 

I don’t think I hv seen the other actors/ actresses. Are they good ? 

Hi always happy to see you and your enticing avatar  haha :P   Happy CJH picked an OCN drama as we know  OCN has built a good reputation for this kind of drama.  
 It seems Rugal isn’t about detective crime but more like a good entertaining action-hero theme about good versus bad.  

** This IG says Rugal premieres March 4, 20 and filming will start soon.  And it also mentions about using special effects.  Now I’m getting really curious.  :lol:

Info from this IG:
The Rugal team had a script reading and dinner afterward.
It says Rugal will premiere March 4, 2020. & filming starts soon.
“ Korean version of the Avengers !!!” “the special effects” 

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, booha said:

Info from this IG:
The Rugal team had a script reading and dinner afterward.
It says Rugal will premiere March 4, 2020. & filming starts soon.
“ Korean version of the Avengers !!!” “the special effects” 

Thanks for all the informations.

I never watched Avengers but I think I have an idea what is it about. All movies with superherores are the same. 

In a way, I like that Rugal won`t be too dark but I will see if I will like it. Fingers crossed for a good drama. 

17 hours ago, larus said:

I never watched Avengers but I think I have an idea what is it about. All movies with superherores are the same. 

In a way, I like that Rugal won`t be too dark but I will see if I will like it. Fingers crossed for a good drama. 

Yes all of action hero stuff is for light entertainment.  Personally I like such movies which go well with a popcorn binge.  haha  But if it’s badly done, even perfect super hero popcorn can’t bring me to watch it. haha    After watching heavy Justice I’m ready for light entertainment and ready for a different feel of the character from CJH.

Hope they have an adequate budget for special effects.  I hate to see CJH’s bio-eyes which are like two boring dots. haha  I really like KKB’s webtoon eyes. :smirk:

On 10/19/2019 at 12:58 PM, greenwatch08 said:

Will OCN stay truthfully to the webtoon or is it a loose adaptation? So far, there's been 5 cast members that's mentioned. The cast of characters in Rugal webtoon is huge & there's quite a significant set of characters that plays a vital part of the story as it progresses further on. The scale/scope of the webtoon's setting is massive. 

In the "Rugal" team, there's 5 members, plus CJH's character Detective Kang, which makes six. Jung Hye In plays Mina, who's the rookie before CJH's Kang's assimilation. JDH plays Taewoong, the team leader. These 3 are the enhanced members. There's 3 other (non enhanced) members - Kwangcheol, Bradley, and Suzan. Kwangcheol is a North Korean defector & technician. Suzan & Bradley are biracial korean & best friends, both snipers & ex-soldiers. Suzan = Congelese /Korean while Bradley = White-Australian

/Korean. I really adore Suzan & Bradley in the webtoon so hopefully they're included in the drama. They add alot of personality to the "Rugal" team. Plus, Suzan is a double-amputee sniper & badass. The female characters in the webtoon are really great. 

Has the drama/production team mention anything about a character known as Manager Choi? He's the team manager who's in charge of project "Rugal"  I was wondering who is will  play him. I thought it might have been PSW but hes playing Deuk Gu. He's super important and hope he's included in the drama since

he's a major key player to the overall story. For

the 'doctor team" of project "Rugal",  there's 3 major characters plus a 'hacker' character who is part of the group. 

There's 5 gang leaders in the Fire Ants who controls various province in S.Korea. 3 out of those

5 members are very prominent in the webtoon. In the drama, Fire Ants is known as "Argos"? HJW plays the rank 1 member of "Argos" Choi Yewon. PSW is portraying Deuk Gu. In the webtoon, there's a pair of brothers of the same last name, Hwang Deuk Gu & Hwang Dal Gu. Duek Gu is rank 3 member of Fire Ants and Dal Gu is his brother/underling. I'm assuming the drama will have Deuk Gu be the head chairman of Argos? Hopefully there's a Minjun in the drama since he's rank 2 member of Fire Ants in the webtoon, who's also important to the plot.

The cast seems great so far. I'm not familiar with CJH. I've only watched him in Family GB and was not to keen with his acting style & line delivery. JDH will definitely make a great team leader of Rugal as TW since he's older than CHJ's Kang. JDH portrays stoic & reserved characters w/ great physicality very well (ex: Bad Guys & Inspiring Gen). PSW is befitting of Manager Choi but a villainous character is good too. JHI looks the part as Mina Song. Mina is great in the webtoon & hopefully she's utilized well in the drama. Also, who will portray Kang's wife and daughter? 

I'm curious about the direction, writing, & overall production. It's sci-fi/violent & action w/lots of political intringue in the webtoon. Hopefully it will translate well on screen, unless the production team attend for a more realistic route without all the hi-tech gear (ex: enhanced spine suit & mecha)? 

Wow you know about the webtoon Rugal  That’s fantastic  Appreciate sharing it,  especially about those supporting characters.  Webtoon has massive story/screen time which gives ample time to flesh out even the supporting characters but OCN kdrama carries on average around 16 eps.   It means those supporting webtoon characters have to be condensed and become like background details  in the drama setting.  However  in the hands of a skillful PD/writer they can still shine and help overall story lines.

IG (posted previously) mentions special effects though I don’t know the exact kinds.   
So far only Kang’s wife was mentioned and not his daughter.  And no actress name for the wife yet.   I don’t think the wife will be given much screen time.
PS  You made a good point about how CJH delivered his lines. CJH has a unique voice(called a tunnel voice) so any defect/inconsistency can be easily noticed.  It has improved but he still has to work on it.  CJH didn’t go college because of finances.  So his acting lacks  a polished stage feel which some actors learn through study of the basic mechanisms of acting craft in school.    His acting can be called street acting.  It means it’s crucial how he chooses the character.  He has to feel some part of the character as his own self.  His acting method is by immersing himself in the character completely in order to bring out the character the viewers can actually feel.  I can say his acting is maturing slowly. I like that he strives to create his own voice in his acting. :)

On 10/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, larus said:

It all depends on production & direction of the writing. Rugal webtoon is pretty massive in terms of setting and characters. It's a political & scifi-based action story. There are some lighthearted moments in the webtoon that keeps it from being serious all the time, which is nice. 

Superhero films may not be for everyone but if you ever want to watch a super hero film w/ enhanced humans plus fancy gadgets, much like Rugal webtoon, you should definitely try Captain America trilogy from 2011-2016. Winter Soldier is my fav CA film and overall in MCU film series. It's well directed & has great choreagraphed action sequence. There's a fair amount of hi-tech gear/superhuman aspect with a touch of political-espionage in it too.

20 hours ago, booha said:

Yes all of action hero stuff is for light entertainment.  Personally I like such movies which go well with a popcorn binge.  haha  But if it’s badly done, even perfect super hero popcorn can’t bring me to watch it. haha    After watching heavy Justice I’m ready for light entertainment and ready for a different feel of the character from CJH.

Hope they have an adequate budget for special effects.  I hate to see CJH’s bio-eyes which are like two boring dots. haha  I really like KKB’s webtoon eyes. :smirk:

Wow you know about the webtoon Rugal  That’s fantastic  Appreciate sharing it,  especially about those supporting characters.  Webtoon has massive story/screen time which gives ample time to flesh out even the supporting characters but OCN kdrama carries on average around 16 eps.   It means those supporting webtoon characters have to be condensed and become like background details  in the drama setting.  However  in the hands of a skillful PD/writer they can still shine and help overall story lines.

IG (posted previously) mentions special effects though I don’t know the exact kinds.   
So far only Kang’s wife was mentioned and not his daughter.  And no actress name for the wife yet.   I don’t think the wife will be given much screen time.
PS  You made a good point about how CJH delivered his lines. CJH has a unique voice(called a tunnel voice) so any defect/inconsistency can be easily noticed.  It has improved but he still has to work on it.  CJH didn’t go college because of finances.  So his acting lacks  a polished stage feel which some actors learn through study of the basic mechanisms of acting craft in school.    His acting can be called street acting.  It means it’s crucial how he chooses the character.  He has to feel some part of the character as his own self.  His acting method is by immersing himself in the character completely in order to bring out the character the viewers can actually feel.  I can say his acting is maturing slowly. I like that he strives to create his own voice in his acting. :)

I'm curious what's their production cost/budget? I'm not to familiar with the director's filmography other than Cheoyong 2 & My Secret Romance, both being OCN dramas. Personally, My Secret Romance was just not good, even from a romcom/directorial standpoint. I didnt watch CY2, only S1. I wonder if he can handle a story like Rugal. Hopefully the screenwriter is well adapted to the webtoon's overall story. 

I read Rugal just this past month and found out it was getting a live action adaptation. I had a hunch the drama might condensed the story and characters. I love the side characters in Rugal, even the ones w/ minimal dialogue who dont fight but still keep the webtoon interesting & diverse.

I can't say much of CJH's overall acting. I know he was in Tunnel and The Last Empress. I've only seen him in his small role in Family GB. Yes, it's great to see actors mature throughout the years in their craft. 

ocn_original

Coming Soon
2020 OCN New W/Th Original
NEW Action Hero | Lugal
<Tunnel> Choi Jin-hyuk and <Life on Mas> Park Sung-woong,
The men of OCN met as hero and villain!
Reborn as a human weapon in Rugal, detective Kang Ki-bum and absolute villain Hwang Deuk-gu
The big action drama will wake up 2020-spring,
Please look forward to it
NEW Action Hero <Rugal>
To be broadcast,  W/Th 2020

10 hours ago, greenwatch08 said:

I'm curious what's their production cost/budget? I'm not to familiar with the director's filmography other than Cheoyong 2 & My Secret Romance, both being OCN dramas. Personally, My Secret Romance was just not good, even from a romcom/directorial standpoint. I didnt watch CY2, only S1. I wonder if he can handle a story like Rugal. Hopefully the screenwriter is well adapted to the webtoon's overall story. 

I read Rugal just this past month and found out it was getting a live action adaptation. I had a hunch the drama might condensed the story and characters. I love the side characters in Rugal, even the ones w/ minimal dialogue who dont fight but still keep the webtoon interesting & diverse.

I can't say much of CJH's overall acting. I know he was in Tunnel and The Last Empress. I've only seen him in his small role in Family GB. Yes, it's great to see actors mature throughout the years in their craft. 

Yeah I have no idea who PD is either.   But since this webtoon has a fully established story line with well developed characters,  PD with his experience ought to make it a good drama.   I’m excited to read about special effects in Rugal.  But most OCN dramas seem to have a modest budget.  I might have to lower my expectations about fancy gadgets for Rugal heroes oh well…   I’m glad to know Rugal’s side characters have good sparks and make the story more interesting.   It would be interesting to know how the webtoon characters are transformed into  tv-drama ones. B)

On 10/21/2019 at 7:18 PM, greenwatch08 said:

It all depends on production & direction of the writing. Rugal webtoon is pretty massive in terms of setting and characters. It's a political & scifi-based action story. There are some lighthearted moments in the webtoon that keeps it from being serious all the time, which is nice. 

Yeah, it is nice. I suspect that those lighthearted moments will show the team of our heroes bonding or make the audience knowing them better and care for them. 

14 hours ago, booha said:

I’m glad to know Rugal’s side characters have good sparks and make the story more interesting.   It would be interesting to know how the webtoon characters are transformed into  tv-drama ones.

I like when dramas make the side characters came alive, supporting the main cast better. We`ll see how the script will select the better part of the webton and making a good 16 episode drama.

Kim Min-sang will play Choi Geun-chul, the director of special police organization Rugal.    He is an intellectual genius with excellent tactical ability. He is the one who brought Kang Ki-bum(Choi Jin-hyuk) to Rugal

OCN Thriller House Talk (10/25 to 10/27)

On 10/22/2019 at 4:41 AM, booha said:

Yeah I have no idea who PD is either.   But since this webtoon has a fully established story line with well developed characters,  PD with his experience ought to make it a good drama.   I’m excited to read about special effects in Rugal.  But most OCN dramas seem to have a modest budget.  I might have to lower my expectations about fancy gadgets for Rugal heroes oh well…   I’m glad to know Rugal’s side characters have good sparks and make the story more interesting.   It would be interesting to know how the webtoon characters are transformed into  tv-drama ones. B)

From what I'm reading, the info said the PD's the director of My Secret Romance and Cheoyong 2, both OCN dramas. Im excited to see the special effects as well, since there aren't too many scifi/fantasy action Kdramas set in modern times. I wonder if the cast will have any physical training in term of fight choreography now that the drama is currently underway in script readings?

On 10/22/2019 at 7:34 PM, larus said:

Yeah, it is nice. I suspect that those lighthearted moments will show the team of our heroes bonding or make the audience knowing them better and care for them. 

I like when dramas make the side characters came alive, supporting the main cast better. We`ll see how the script will select the better part of the webton and making a good 16 episode drama.

The side characters in Rugal are really great, especially on Team Rugal.

On 10/23/2019 at 1:23 AM, booha said:

Kim Min-sang will play Choi Geun-chul, the director of special police organization Rugal.    He is an intellectual genius with excellent tactical ability. He is the one who brought Kang Ki-bum(Choi Jin-hyuk) to Rugal

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Im not too familiar with this actor's work but I'm sure he'll be a great Manager Choi. Manager Choi always seemed he should've been alot older personality-wise & physically so I'm glad they got someone older for the drama than his webtoon counterpart. He's really important in the webtoon. 

54 minutes ago, booha said:

Park Seon-ho plays Lee Kwang-cheol, a gifted former police officer who got hurt by ‘Argos’ but after being rescued by Tae-Woong(Jo Dong-hyuk), joined the special organization ‘Rugal.’ 

http://news.wowtv.co.kr/NewsCenter/News/Read?articleId=A201910240038

The screenwriter(s)' most likely will change/deviate alot of stuff that's from the webtoon. In the webtoon, Kwangcheol is a North Korean defector. He's also a good side character although he doesn't have quite the prominence /screentime like this team members. He's a technician who specializes in tech/gadget making  He also fights in a mecha/robot pod.

I wonder if him being a North Korean defector will still be intact within the drama setting/story? The profile for his character in the details you mentioned/translated

sounds more befitting for Song Mina. In the webtoon, Mina was a police officer working in the same department as Detective Kang. She was attacked by Fire Ants (Argos) and was saved by Team Leader Taewoong, thus joining Team Rugal. Mina's the youngest member(age 28) & rookie in the team before Detective Kang joins.

The age in Rugal Webtoon of characters mentioned/cast for the drama so far. 

Hwang Deuk Gi (47)

Manager Choi (43)

Taewoong (38)

Detective Kang (31)

Choi Yewon (?)

Kwangcheol (29)

Song Mina (28)

“Produce X 101” Contestant Park Sun Ho To Join Choi Jin Hyuk In New OCN Drama

Oct 24, 2019
by E. Cha
8f73654abd6e4aff80c1caa1321930ef.jpeg?s=

Park Sun Ho of “Produce X 101” will be appearing alongside Choi Jin Hyuk in his upcoming OCN drama!

On October 24, Park Sun Ho’s agency announced that the actor had officially joined the cast of OCN’s “Rugal” (literal title), a drama adaptation of the popular webtoon of the same name. Not only will the drama mark his first acting project since his appearance on Mnet’s “Produce X 101” earlier this year, but it will also mark his very first time taking on the action genre.

“Rugal” is a new action revenge drama about an elite detective (played by Choi Jin Hyuk) who attempts to bring down a nationwide criminal organization named Argos. In the process, he ends up being targeted by the powerful criminals behind Argos, and not only does he lose his beloved wife and both of his eyes, but he is also framed for murder. With the help of an organization named Rugal, which has gathered a team of “human weapons” with special powers created through biotechnology, he receives a set of artificial eyes and sets out on a quest to wipe out Argos once and for all.

Park Sun Ho will play the role of Lee Kwang Chul, a young police officer who is attacked by Argos but rescued by Rugal’s leader Tae Woong (played by Jo Dong Hyuk). With his good looks and witty sense of humor, the charming Lee Kwang Chul ends up joining Rugal as the team’s mood-maker.

Expressing his excitement about the drama, Park Sun Ho remarked, “I’ll be greeting viewers for the first time in a year through ‘Rugal.’ It’s truly an honor to be able to act together with such a great director and senior actors that I have always admired. As I’ve always wanted to try taking on the noir genre, I will work hard to prepare for the action scenes as well as my acting, so that I can show you good things [through the drama]. Thank you.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1361046wpp/produce-x-101-contestant-park-sun-ho-to-join-choi-jin-hyuk-in-ocn-drama

@greenwatch08

Okay We better not put too much hope on OCN’s special effects which might turn out to be tiny tiny bits. haha  

Yeah it looks like they changed Lee Kwang_cheol(Park Seon-ho) as a former police officer and not a North Korean defector.  Obviously Rugal team needs a younger looking candy face. Who knows he might be the one who has to carry on a shower scene? TwAE48P.gif   haha

PS Jung Hye-in is going to play Song Mina (She is supposed to have a feeling for Kang Ki-beom)

Jung Hye-in plays in the role of Song Mina.
Song-min was executed along with a fellow police officer while serving as a criminal detective, and is legally dead, but, in fact, she was rescued dramatically and works as a member of Rugal.
She has a positive outlook and never likes to give up. And her main principle focuses on operation strategy.   She boasts about her especially flexible and beautiful action.
In the drama she admires (or yearns) her crime squad sunbae Kang Ki-bum.:)

http://m.sportschosun.com/news.htm?id=201910080100054300003581&ServiceDate=20191007&f_url=Fire#_enliple

Spoiler

Xo9JQns.jpg

Is this drama pre produced? Cause if it is, my worry? Netflix. You know I'm not fond of them. Dont like. Then again Netflix oly takes those pre produce ones and  one that could have a mass appeal. Heh. I'll be happy with Viki or Viu, Kocowa.

22 hours ago, jongski said:

Is this drama pre produced? Cause if it is, my worry? Netflix. You know I'm not fond of them. Dont like. Then again Netflix oly takes those pre produce ones and  one that could have a mass appeal. Heh. I'll be happy with Viki or Viu, Kocowa.

I wondered too whether Rugal was preproduced after reading that filming for Rugal should start soon though Rugal is set for Mar 4.    However the production team hasn’t mentioned it so I have to assume it isn’t.  Maybe they film early to coordinate some action scenes with special effects?  
Me too  hope Viki will get licensed as I don’t subscribe to Netflix.

Here are a few interesting tidbits from Rugal ‘special OCN thriller house which Choi Jin-hyuk attended(10/26).  
A fan said CJH mentioned a lot of special effects in Rugal.
And in the article CJH talked about “(Rugal as)  an unusual genre for OCN” & “the ‘Rugal’ signature costume (for his character).
Someone posted an IG which shows webtoon Kang Ki-Bum in the suit.  Yes I’m ready for CJH in KKB’s suit. vuaKJk9.gif

((CJH portion))

vnJUsr9.jpg

# Choi Jin-hyuk,  "90% synchro-rate with the original hero!"  “talking about the action hero ‘Rugal’”

The session for ‘Rugal ’, which is scheduled to broadcast in March 2020, began with CJH, who returned to OCN three years after Tunnel. CJH plays ‘Kang Ki-bum’ in ‘Rugal’.

‘Kang Ki-bum’ is a character who is reborn as a person with awe-inspiring physical ability after losing his wife and both eyes and receiving artificial eyes with special abilities.

CJH said, “Think of it as an action hero type,” and “The original webtoon was so fun and fresh.”

“I thought it was an unusual genre for OCN and I wanted to challenge it,” revealing his determination for the drama.
In addition, he said, “I'm doing a lot of analysis while watching the original story,” “I'm consulting with the staff, and I'm also preparing for the ‘Rugal’ signature costume.”

From the question, “What do you think about the sync-rate between you and Kang Ki-bum?” he answered smiling “About 90% similar between two. After seeing the original story I felt confident.”   

CJH said, “The first broadcast is set for March next year. We are preparing the cool and exciting action  that both male and female viewers will love.  Please  look forward it,”  and concluded the session with aspirations for ‘Rugal.’

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201910271432351910

3 hours ago, booha said:

Another supporting cast:
Lee Sang-bo, casting for OCN ‘루갈’…  becomes  CJH’s assistant
Lee Sang-bo plays Yang Mun-bok, a friend of Kang Ki-bum(CJH) & a detective  & an assistant of Rugal team

Thanks for the information. I don`t know the actor. The casting Rugal team is almosty compleate, I assume.

On 10/29/2019 at 1:25 AM, larus said:

Thanks for the information. I don`t know the actor. The casting Rugal team is almosty compleate, I assume.

It seems the main lineup is done but there are minor characters like Lee Sang-bo as Yang Mun-bok (which I posted previously).  Maybe more minions from Argos (in webtoon, called Fire Ants which sounds better)?

Ct0BMlh.gif

DiiW2xY.gif

cr to DC

Kim Dae-hyun plays Argus's mid-boss “Sol Min-jun” who is close to the top boss, Hwang Deuk-gu(Park Sung-woong)

F4ToHwb.jpg

http://www.xportsnews.com/?ac=article_view&entry_id=1191583

Jang In-seop plays “Bradley” who is the best researcher and information source for the Rugal Team, and is a genius in producing various action objects, and has excellent ability in combining medical and science, and assists Kang Ki-bum (Choi Jin-hyuk).

E9qEtIl.jpg

http://www.newsen.com/news_view.php?uid=201911010834421910

Archived