[Drama 2020] Rugal, 루갈

larus

Rugal: Episodes 1-2 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Rugal12_1.jpg

Vigilante justice, my favorite. OCN might not make the most well-rounded dramas, but I’m here expecting some stylized storytelling, gratuitous gunfire, and awesomely choreographed fight scenes — and hey, they delivered that. Here’s what Rugal’s premiere week was like.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

Rugal12_2.jpg

Rugal opens with the tragic (and grotesque) moment that changes everything for our hero. While happy wedding footage plays on the TV, police officer KANG KI-BUM (Choi Jin-hyuk), lies bloody on the floor. He’s beaten to a pulp, but more importantly, his eyes have been gouged out (thank you, broadcasting rules, for blurring the details of this gore). His wife is on the other side of the room, dead. The culprit? A powerful organization known as Argos.

It’s quite the scene, and note, to start on, but that’s the basic premise of Rugal. We’ve got a justice-loving hero (a favorite kind of role for Choi Jin-hyuk, surely) who’s just had everything taken away from him. What more is there for him to lose? What else is there to drive him forward besides revenge? It’s a typical setup, yes, but it’s been used successfully for centuries, really, so let’s see where they take it.

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/03/rugal-episodes-1-2-open-thread/

Dong Hyun Bae To Join The Cast Of OCN’s “Rugal”

Mar 31, 2020
by K. Z
94fe3fe668fa4115968c64bf42732bc0.jpeg?s=

Actor Dong Hyun Bae is joining the fray between terrorists and a group of bio-technologically enhanced secret operatives in OCN’s drama “Rugal.”

The drama, which is based on a webtoon by the same name, premiered on March 28 and stars  Choi Jin HyukJo Dong Hyuk, Jung Hye In, and Park Sun Ho, among others. Dong Hyun Bae, who is the older brother of BIGBANG’s Taeyang, joins the cast in the role of Lee Jae Han, the leader of a popular jazz team.

According to OCN, Lee Jae Han leaves the stage behind after an incident, leaving viewers wondering how his role will impact the coming story.

Dong Hyun Bae has appeared in a variety of different genres, from 2019’s suspense thriller “Trap” to the romantic comedy “Issue Makers,” among many others.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1391410wpp/dong-hyun-bae-to-join-the-cast-of-ocns-rugal

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello my soompier friends! I'm here.. and going crazy over lockdown.. as we all are, I suppose. But we have to follow what gvt says to to stop the spread of Covid virus..sooo I hope all of you are taking care of your health.. And since we're home we can binge dramas. :D

I just finished the two episodes.  I have this is nagging question. So they have artificial chips implant inside their bodies.. in KB case, he's got artificial eyes, he can still cry w/o affecting the eyes? I just the eyes were micro eyes. Though I know there was a chp also inside his body.  Well the other three Rugal members have microchips in their bodies.

The guy in prison....the one who works for argos, the onme who thew the belt, he also has microchip powers?

Park Sung Woong character is evil. Shot here. Shot there. Kill a person point range. I guess I wasn't expecting that villian of role. I like watching him in dramas - Remember,  Life On Mars, HMSFTS /WTDCYN/ and now this one.

I'll be honest,  I like that it's OCN and it's revenge, thriller ( my fav genre). Not so fond of sci-fi, fantasy part though. But I like the fighting scenes, CJH and PSW and... whoever is that actor with the  the wow body! the one who stop the elevator. Me likes. :D

So yeah I'll continue to watch. Here's hoping it will sustain my interest.

Watched the second episode, and I can concur with others on this thread that Jo Dong Hyuk (actor who plays Han Tae Woong) has a SMOKING hot body....:w00t::wub:

Where has this guy been hiding before?

I think the second episode was more cohesive than the first, even though I am trying to not be annoyed by some plot holes.

Park Sung Woong is doing a great job as the villain, and I like the Rugal team as a whole.

Even though I really love Choi Jin Hyuk, his role portrayal in this drama could be a bit more varied from his usual acting. I wish he would "push the envelope" a little bit, as he tends to play the same role over and over again. I feel like I have seen this character many times before (Tunnel, The Last Empress). He is really great in the action scenes though, and his body is really hot too. So I am not complaining too much... :D

@Ameera Ali Thank you for showering us with your gifs! Team Rugal all looked so HOT getting out the van. It was one of my favorite scenes. And Gwang Cheol asking Ki Beom where he got his leather jacket...:joy:. I :heart: him so much.

@jongski Hope you and everyone else are taking care and staying healthy as well. I loved Park Sung Woong in HMSFtS and LoM...so I am amazed with his ability to play such an evil baddie here. I am rooting for team Rugal, but because of him, I am finding the inner workings of the mafia-like/villainous organization quite fascinating to watch as well.

@partyon I liked the story better with the second episode. As you said, it was more cohesive. I only know Jo Dong Hyuk from Bad Guys (also by OCN from 2014). It was recently recommended to me. He was awesome there. Loving him here as well. He totally had me with the elevator scene. I don't I think I need to say much about Choi Jin Hyuk, but agree that he's great with the action scenes. He always dazzles me with his smiles.

**So far I enjoyed Rugal. It reminded me of my favorite action movie, the Mission Impossible series, especially MI1:tongue:   Rugal team shows very promising chemistry like the MI team.  I know at the start MI team members are already specialized professionals whereas  Rugal starts with a collection of regular people who will over time grow into a super team. 

Looking forward to see them grow up together and lean on each other so they will not lose sight of humanity and realize a super bio-weapon is only a tool.

On 3/31/2020 at 10:16 AM, jongski said:

Hello my soompier friends! I'm here.. and going crazy over lockdown.. as we all are, I suppose. But we have to follow what gvt says to to stop the spread of Covid virus..sooo I hope all of you are taking care of your health.. And since we're home we can binge dramas. :D

I just finished the two episodes.  I have this is nagging question. So they have artificial chips implant inside their bodies.. in KB case, he's got artificial eyes, he can still cry w/o affecting the eyes? I just the eyes were micro eyes. Though I know there was a chp also inside his body.  Well the other three Rugal members have microchips in their bodies.

a good point about KKB’s tears  hehe  Yeah the char description only mentions about the artificial intelligence with KKB’s  artificial eyes but not about artificial tears. :phew: :lol:  Maybe PD felt ML without tears might not work well.  Maybe the tears we are seeing are (virtual) emotional tears…  haha  You know we can’t be too logical with this kind of action theme drama.  Best just toss my brain in the temporary holding pen and blissfully ride around on the back of KKB’s motorcycle  haha :D

On 3/30/2020 at 8:27 PM, Ameera Ali said:

@booha thanks god , that Oppa giving us fan services to help with home lockdown  :joy::wub:

I hope someone reminds PD about this must-fan-service.  We want more.LnqJ7R4.gif

Mixture of binge watching dramas and  covid hysteria made my head tunnel down into crazy kdrama land  :lol:

Spoiler

4hE0t6t.gif

PD5Xnaz.gif

Oin92zr.gif

i3zB3Rp.gif

H0GHlCi.gif

qT0nqbJ.gif kdrama happy ending      :joy::joy:

G9AjuKL.gif

Rugal opening

making

15 hours ago, jongski said:

Park Sung Woong character is evil. Shot here. Shot there. Kill a person point range. I guess I wasn't expecting that villian of role. I like watching him in dramas - Remember,  Life On Mars, HMSFTS /WTDCYN/ and now this one.

Hwang Deuk-Gu is not only villain, he is the crazy villain. I was expected to see a dangerous villain but I was surprised how crazy he is.

406385_277624_4559.jpg

http://www.intronews.net/news/articleView.html?idxno=406385

Finally caught up with both ep1 and 2, am mostly here for Choi Jin Hyuk but i must say i enjoyed the drama so far. Looks like its battle between Argos and Rugal the former being the bad guys headed by HDG and i assume will see more of these 'bionic humans or what do you call it cyborg?'. The guy who confessed killing Jin must have been sent by HDG, wow! can't believe he would self destruct. 

Superhero Choi Jin Hyuk Faces Off Against Ultimate Villain Park Sung Woong In “Rugal”

Drama Preview   Apr 3, 2020   by E. Cha
Superhero Choi Jin Hyuk Faces Off Against Ultimate Villain Park Sung Woong In “Rugal”

OCN’s “Rugal” has unveiled a sneak peek of a thrilling confrontation from its upcoming episode!

Spoiler

On the latest episode of “Rugal,” a suicide bomber who was seemingly sent by Hwang Deuk Goo (Park Sung Woong) delivered a mysterious message before blowing himself up right before Kang Ki Bum (Choi Jin Hyuk)’s eyes. In the drama’s upcoming third episode, Rugal will use the clues left behind by the mysterious terrorist as they embark on an exciting hunt to track down Argos and Hwang Deuk Goo. Meanwhile, as Kang Ki Bum remains hot on Hwang Deuk Goo’s trail, internal conflicts will arise within Argos as its members begin fighting for power.

Spoiler

In newly released stills from the drama’s upcoming episode, Kang Ki Bum—who now has superpowers after being resurrected using Rugal’s biotechnology—points a gun at Hwang Deuk Goo after they happen to cross paths.

The tension is palpable as the vengeful Kang Ki Bum glares fiercely at his nemesis, and even the normally imperturbable Hwang Deuk Goo appears slightly shaken, wearing a frown as he stares back at the newly created superhero.

The producers of “Rugal” commented, “The confrontation between Kang Ki Bum and Hwang Deuk Goo is a crucial event that signifies the true beginning of the conflict between Rugal and Argos.”

“There will continue to be unpredictable twists as the plot unfolds,” they continued. “Above all else, please look forward to the ‘charisma battle’ between Choi Jin Hyuk and Park Sung Woong.”

Spoiler

Choi-Jin-Hyuk-Park-Sung-Woong.jpgPark-Sung-Woong-Choi-Jin-Hyuk.jpg

The next episode of “Rugal” will air on April 4 at 10:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1392282wpp/superhero-choi-jin-hyuk-faces-off-against-ultimate-villain-park-sung-woong-in-rugal

The Six Million Dollar Man meets Robocop with resonances of Chuck. For a moment there when they were downloading data into KGB's eyes, I thought he was going to mutter "I know kung fu!"

:P

I really like it. The first couple of episodes are pretty much the standard superhero origins set-up. But that's not a criticism necessarily. The fight scenes in particular have a slick graphic novel feel to it. Not surprised at all to hear that it's an adaptation of a webtoon. Stylistically that's pretty obvious. Then there are the names: Rugal, Argos, Hospital K. Sounds like something right out of a superhero graphic novel.The Rugal vs Argos side of things reminded me of The Man from UNCLE although this is far more violent and quite bleak. Evidently the police force is riddled with moles. Even a safehouse isn't "safe" from the tentacles of Argos. All very Batman-like.

I'm so pleased to see Jo Dong-hyuk in this. I haven't seen him in anything since Bad Guys although he's done the odd cameo here and there. But he's very suave as usual and hot. :P I already like his character... probably more than Choi Jin-hyuk's, who is too much of a hot head. He should really understand the stakes better than anyone considering what he's already been through. Anyway, he seems a lot more focused after Episode 2 so there's hope for him yet.

Park Soong-won is fantastic as usual. I didn't think his character, who was doing all the dirty work, was content just to be somebody's running dog especially when the master was trying to put it down. It feels like there are serious tensions within Argos and the previous chairman was the glue that held them together. Now it's just his money that's keeping them together... momentarily.

I know I said I was going to wait till the episodes finishing airing before continuing, but I watched it anyways lol. 

Anyways, I think this is my favorite episode so far. At first I was a bit iffy on Ki Beoms character, but after watching the latest episode he jumped up to my favorite character. His conflict with the Deuk-gu has electrifying chemistry. 

Also I'm curious if Taewoong likes Mina? What was that look he gave during Mina and KB's training scene? Hmm... 

Episode 3 was great. I have to say the action scenes are executed really well. I'm really impressed.

It was cool that Ki Beom and Deuk Gu finally met face to face. Their fight scene was fantastic. Never thought I'd ever see Park Sung Woong move like that. I had a weird feeling about Leader Choi because of the actor who plays him. Does it seem like he's in on it with the bad guys? It would make sense as how Director Gu may have been kidnapped.

I wonder if Choi Ye Won will somehow end up helping Ki Beom/Rugal tap into Argos later. In exchange, I feel that he could help her get out of Deuk Gu's control.

I had thought of Gwang Cheol as cute and adorable, but it turns out...he's quite manly as well. ;)

So is Hwang Deuk-gu another one with artificial parts or chips in his body?

Else why is he obsessed with the x-men experiment?

And.... I'm sorry to say but Kang Gi Beom's rashlessness is getting on my nerve.

Aargh.

Why i have feeling that

Gi beom wife still alive

Ye won will work together with gi beom to defeat dok chul 

Tae woong final goal is to be the leader of argos

Mi Na will be vital for gi beom to achieve his revenge.

Reading mi na and gwang choel description, i see that theyll be on life death situation and will be save by gi beom.

Gi beom and taewong will be a rival and i dont think it will end in good term.

I know some is on reach but i think some is possible lets see what happen

Archived