[Drama 2020] Money Game, 머니게임

0ly40

This thread is very quiet. I believe it's because politics, finance and economics are not for everyone. But if you watch the drama closely and listen to (read)  the dialogue intently, you'll find the story very interesting. Heo Jae is constantly being pushed into a corner and he's putting on a brave face to overcome the issues that are now hitting him left, right and center. He's cunning and Yoo Ji Han is cunning as well. We know that Han wants to amass wealth. We don't know what's the real score with Heo Jae.

In my opinion, Chae Yi Hun is siding with Heo Jae to rein him in, to prevent him from destroying SK's economy further. He's after all those people who are trying to sell off the country. He tells them the truth but he does not tell them everything. He knows how to bide his time. He's a patient man when needed. But he can be very passionate when the situation calls for it. He and Hye Joon are allies, colleagues working for the same goal, and watching each other's back. He is fire, Hye Joon is ice, so they balance each other out.

Who would think that the nondescript, eager to please and wont stir trouble Jo Hee Bong is one of the most corrupt among the people at the money bureau? He's several levels beyond the chatterbox, *** licker, weasel,  leech Na Joon Pyo. A salaried man owning am unexplained 10M worth building in Gangnam indeed.

One thing I one to point out at Ep. 14. When Jo Hee Bong answered a call while talking to Prof. Chae, he took out a white phone. When he recorded the video of Heo Jae's altercation with the professor,  he used a black phone.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

22 hours ago, poochai said:

I hope a spark of love shines through in the final episode in favor of Yi Hon. Eugene, don't hate me :D everyone already loves you.

Same here..:sweatingbullets: Everyone( a part of me as well) loves you, Eugene..:D But I'm leaning more towards Yi hun.

On the other hand I will be happy for Lee Hye Joon whoever she ends up with..Both of them seem to adore her. Hope she finds her love.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Every week I've waited for Wednesday to come, and it's hard to believe that we're at our final 2 episodes next week. It's been a while since I've actually stayed highly interested in a drama week after week, with no break in between. It is a rare thing for me nowadays.

Like some other chingus here, the subject of economy may go over my head a lot - I'm not very knowledgable in this area. But it's also very nice to learn new things and terms in this subject, nonetheless. What initially caught my interest in Money Game was the production. The first impression of MG for me was that it was beautiful in a dark and rough way. The music production, lighting etc had me enchanted. Then, we found out more about our characters: Yi Hyun who wants to stand for what is right for the people, but can get swayed by other sources. Heo Jae, who knows exactly where he stands in his opinion, is steadfast on it not changing and would do many things to get what he wants. Hye Joon, who initially was torn between being herself and fitting in, and we see her being a sympathetic person for humans and their rights. Eugene Han (who we all know caught our attention ;) ), whose greed overcomes him (likely) due to his dark and difficult past.

I've been lurking here and enjoying reading all of your comments here! In a drama like this with deep characters played by excellent actors, a lot can be speculated upon and discussed. Oh how I will miss this drama after this next week.

• Like 3

I'm glad to see this thread buzzling with activities again.  I was beginning to wonder why it was so quiet. When the theme is so different and refreshing. Guess most viewers prefer Romance

On 2/15/2020 at 3:16 AM, lexicon said:

I must say, I found the first two episodes riveting, then felt there was a bit of drag inbetween. The last several episodes have been amazing though.

I agree with you on this.  But eps 13 & 14 pick up the pace again

On 2/28/2020 at 9:10 PM, Dundee said:

I can’t help LOL-ing watching EH and HJ’s scenes, i mean he told her his family story then asked her for dinner together and HJ blurted out i’m not your mother LOL,  also the scene when EH was confronted by HJ in his office regarding her uncle. I think his way of trying to get close to HJ could be interpreted as creepy and ridiculous but it could be sweet in another perspective and condition. :lol:

That is so Hilarious.  I like Hye Joon for her principles, courage and being forthright when the situation calls for it.

Eugene is such a Charismatic rogue. While we despise him, we can't help feeling for him simultaneously

For once, I'm glad Jo Hee Bong forwarded the Video of Hae Jae pushing the Professor off the cliff, to Eugene. Otherwise Chae Yi Hun will never find out the Truth.  CYH started out being wary of Hae Jae.  But by ep 14, he is totally in awe of him - given him his unreserved Respect.  Especially after he saw him joining the Staffs in forming a baracade against the "mob" coming for Jo Hee Bong.

Hae Jae is such a Hypocrite here.  Jo's confession at the Press Conference is clearly to his Advantage. Together with CYH's behind the scene success at the Foreign Exchange War, Hae Jae has won over the President & the Korean people.  His last act of joining the Staff at the baricade seals the approval of his Staff and that of CYH

He is too Ambitious.  At the same time a Coward - he is scared of Failure.  At the dinner with Eugene & the last meeting he had with some officials, it is clear he has Presidential designs.  All the compliments he received, have gone to his Head.  President of Korea - you got to be kidding

The final two episodes should be interesting

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Hae Jae is the man who is corrupted by the power he is eager to gain. He has gained significant power but that is not enough. He is so egoistic that he is surely convinced that his tactics and policy would help SK.  The real leader should be more level headed and often mindful if his policy would lead into a right direction for people. But he just does not care. He is truly dangerous cause unknown to him, he can destroy his country. Meanwhile Eugene just did not care about his home country's future. He was so obsessed with making money til Hye Joon point it out to him last episode.

I cannot help thinking Hae Jae is more evil than Eugene.

Whether Hye Joon is interested in him or not, Eugene needs a good lady to be with so that she can guide him into a more peaceful life.

I am quite amused that Eugene has a crush on Hye Joon among all glamorous girls whom he can /did easily meet. She does not show her feminine side and her dress code is nothing but a government workforce.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, akikoz said:

I am quite amused that Eugene has a crush on Hye Joon among all glamorous girls whom he can /did easily meet. She does not show her feminine side and her dress code is nothing but a government workforce.

I thought about this, too. Eugene didn't seem to have his mind occupied by anything other than greed (due to his mother's wellbeing) for a majority of his life, is my guess, until he met someone who reminded him of the reason he became greedy.

And, I wonder why Eugene asked Tina if she liked any jewels. What was in his mind when he asked that? Was it Hye Joon? His mother? Or (unlikely but perhaps) genuine interest in Tina? 

2 hours ago, juliacaesar said:

And, I wonder why Eugene asked Tina if she liked any jewels. What was in his mind when he asked that? Was it Hye Joon? His mother? Or (unlikely but perhaps) genuine interest in Tina? 

I thought about this too. To me it seemed like he wanted to return a gift to Tina as she gave him the painting. He probably would give her a Jewel  if she wasn’t so adamant on wanting something red. 

• Insightful 1

Just finished ep 13 & 14.  I must confess that I can't really figure out Heo Jae. There's nothing wrong with having political ambitions if he's not corrupt and  his economic goals are good for the people of his country. It seems that his short term goals are in sync with those of Yi Hun.  But, do their long term goals differ? If I remember correctly, in a past episode, Yi Hun told Hye Joon,  in substance, that he was wary of Heo Jae over the long term but would work with him in the short term.  Of course, there's also the matter of the indisputable fact that Heo Jae pushed the professor over the ledge causing the professor's death.  That would seem to disqualify Heo Jae from elective office.  But, in present day politics, maybe not. The wrap-up of this drama should be interesting.

I can't believe it's almost Wednesday!

As much as I am glad that Yi Hun knows the truth about his father's death, I was disappointed about the reveal. Why did chief Jo keep quiet for so long. He was a witness to murder and he did not report it??!!! Was he really holding on to this footage to use it at an opportune time? Or was this just lazy writing?

Hye Joon should seriously just leave that "family" of hers. They just keep on hurting her no matter what she does for them. I seriously love her character. The way she knocks sense into both Yi Hun and Eugene. She is just so calm, cool and collected! Though there are times I wish someone would just give her a hug. She really needs one!

@akikoz exactly, out of all the women he could have, why Hye Joon? @juliacaesar I agree with what you have said, and I feel he became more infatuated after he found out her background. However, if I remember correctly, from the first moment they met, which I think was outside Heo Jae's office, he already had sparkles in his eyes. The whole bench talk nicely put perspective on Eugene's behaviour. I wonder if he will change after what Hye Joon told him?

I am not ashamed to admit, I am a Yi Hun - Hye Joo shipper. I found the whole "sunshine at 7am" comparison so cute, albeit he had to be drunk to admit it. 

What I have loved about this show has been the  way it portrays the struggles of ordinary people, who have to constantly find ways to keep there head above water, because of the decision making of the powers that be. It was so apt what Hye Joon said about, there is enough wealth to go around, there is no need for people to be struggling. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, lexicon said:

I am not ashamed to admit, I am a Yi Hun - Hye Joo shipper. I found the whole "sunshine at 7am" comparison so cute, albeit he had to be drunk to admit it.

This was probably the most beautiful comparison / compliment I've ever heard in a drama before. It might be due to my adoration of early morning sunlights, but nevertheless it was so beautiful to hear :wub: The chemistry between Yi Hun and Hye Joon has indeed been very lovely to watch, especially in the earlier episodes. They seem so comfortable with each other.

There were definitely some quote-worthy dialogues in that episode, one of which came from our ray of sunshine herself:

But while we're alive, we all live together. They shouldn't make others fall behind while they obtain something themselves. That is the duty and responsibility of those who have a lot. In a world where the value of hard work is denied... and shrewd cons using information and numbers are presented as myths, people like uncle are inevitable byproducts... because myths create idolatry and those fake myths destroy life and at times cause death.

<3 

• Like 2

tvN taking advantage of viewers' extreme interest on the romance between the characters.. :lol:

ESPbW9DU0AATRhT?format=jpg&name=360x360

They're acknowledging the love triangle.. :o

Suddenly I feel very glad that the drama shooting ended a long time ago before the romance aspect of the drama got hyped.. Otherwise it may have an effect on the writers writing or something. :sweatingbullets: Now whatever happens we know it went as planned.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Awesome 1

guys it turns out tomorrow is the last episode, don't know what the ending will be like but hopefully not an open ending after this is over it might feel boring to me because there is no other drama that I consider this interesting thank you for sharing fun things about this drama with me ...

• Sad 2

To Lexicon;

You are spot on with Hae Joon. She should leave her fake family. I cannot believe that she borrowed so much money for her uncle to get him out from jail.  I do recall her aunt was talking with her husband that she was wondering if they had returned the money that they borrowed from Hae Joon's father, he would have lived or something. I cannot believe what they have done.  Hae Joon actually needs Eugene to cut her tie with her toxic fake family. Just as Hae Joon has given him a good sense, Eugene can give her a good sense.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I just finished watching ep 15.  It's kinda slow.  I hope the Final ep will be Explosive!

Hae Jae is a Failure  - something he dread.  He would have long been "tied up" by Eugene & put in Prison by the current President, if he did not have Chae Yi Hun.  All the ideas were from CYH and of course the contribution from the old man who died (Professor Chae's classmate & friend).   Hae Jae's own ideas were reckless & impractical.  And when he is cornered, he will not hesitate to resort to "dirty" tactics: murder, manipulating financial figures & "sleeping with the enemy" (the Bahamas). He knows how to "use" people to his advantage.  He is Arrogant & never admit his mistakes. 

At the first briefing of his Core-Team, he has the nerve to ask Chae Yi Hun to create indirect & circumstancial evidence if necessary, for the report on the manipulation of the BIS figures for Jungin Bank.  He was directly involved in this scandal.  He was the one who installed a spineless, puppet as the new President for the bank.  He is using his new-found authority to push the blame to someone.

When he was asked by the reporter, if he will accept the nomination to be the President of Korea, he shamelessly said he will - when the current President is still in power?  He thinks he is "God" already.  The Saviour to Korea's economic problems

When he was handcuffed, he thought Chae Yi Hun was the one who has reported him.  When in actual fact, it was the officers from the Seoul Central District Prosecution Office, who discovered the Video from Jo Hee Bong's laptop.  

I can't wait for the Finale:P

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

I agree with @hush puppy with epsiode 15 being a bit slow. Definitely also hoping we will see the final episode go hard in the paint.

Going back to ep 14, I want to point out something from 2 scenes in this episode. The scenes where Eugene drinks with Yi Hun and later on with Hye Joon. Yi Hun asks Eugene what money means to him, and why Eugene chose Korea to make this kind of money. 

Spoiler

yIwmobk.png

hqrQvUV.png

Nonchalant, Eugene replies that money is simple, desirable and a way to see his achievements in numbers. Why Korea? Simple: It's where Eugene can make money.

Spoiler

GQg0e6y.png

ZPIcXaP.png

Later on, a troubled Eugene searches for and finds a troubled Hye Joon. Hye Joon does not ask him these questions, but Eugene shares his sincere intentions and feelings. The true answers for Yi Hun's questions. It's not that simple at all, for him. The source of it all lies in his care for his mother.

Spoiler

mSYuc7Q.png

hJUAFrz.jpg

pqXU2vl.png

But, why Korea? Come on, it's Hye Joon that Eugene is talking to. This smart woman knows the reason why, undoubtedly. The country where Eugene's mother originated from: Korea. In "vengeance" for his mother, he wants to take the money from his mother's homeland, and give her a better life (although somewhere on the road, his own greed overtakes him.)

Spoiler

E6grnkx.jpg

FjcBDhy.jpg

The things he shares with Hye Joon are definitely unlike with anyone else. I do wonder if he is as equally open when talking to his mother.

In episode 15, we never saw if Eugene thought about the facts that Hye Joon put right in front of his face. Perhaps he always knew, he always was aware of it, but never wanted to admit it. That could be why it was upsetting to see someone else know the truth.

• Like 5

I have heard that the production was finished a while ago. If they have done a live shoot, they might have shown a bit more of Eugene and Hye Joon together.   In my dramaland, if Eugene continue to do things he has been doing, Hye Joon would tie a rope around Eugene neck and take him to Africa to work for those kids whose financial source was cut by him. He would be able to find the work worthy cause and might find  something to fill a void in his heart!

• LOL 2

I just finished the final episode...

Spoiler

"I'll come back to you. Take care until then" - Eugene to Hye Joon

Eugene, or Han Yoo Jin, instead deciding to not run away. Turning back into Korea. He knows he will likely have to face jail time. But his heart is torn, and when he heard that he could become someone better, he chose to take that path. Both Yi Hun and Hye Joon slapped some sense into his mind... and into his heart.

BUT AFTER THAT, after jail time, my dear shippers... It's all up to our imagination. I'm on board: Hye Joon could never have any feelings for someone who clashes so much with her views of life. But it seems our Yoo Jin has left the "bad guy"-path and is beginning to walk another path instead. Perhaps Hye Joon's path, is at least what I'd like to believe :phew:

My heart is in pieces. I'm satisfied with the ending. Not extremely satisfied, but definitely satisfied. I actually do like that we tie back to things happening in the beginning, like Hye Joon feeling discomfort, which evolves to comfort, in her co-workers. And also leaving some things with an open ending was nice: Are Hye Joon's aunt and uncle going to get along again? Are any of our "love stories" - Eugene X Hye Joon X Yi Hun - going to evolve? Will Heo Jae stick to his old beliefs?

Money Game, I'll miss you <3 

• Like 4

I think Hye Joon and Yi Hun are  senior and junior relationship. Yi Hun likes her a lot but under the circumstance, he cannot cross the boundary and he sensed that there is something between Hye Joon and Eugene. I think that is an added point why Yi Hun hated Eugene that much. 

Everyone was curious about her relationship with Eugene and when she was asked, she denied that there is no relationship with Eugene, which is a fact. However underneath it, some , such as her cousin and Yi Hun can sense that her feeling towards Eugene is hidden and guarded. Hye Joon tried to bury her feeling for Eugene because she is not supposed to like him cause he did a horrible act and she is a civil worker who is not allowed to have a relationship with someone like him. Throughout the drama, she never answered how she felt about Eugene. 

I wished that there was a scene where Eugene was in jail. That way, we would have felt content more knowing he finally faced his crime and tried to do the right thing. However, I should be happy with the fact Eugene decided not to go with the Bahama's daughter who declared that she loved him. He never gave her an answer. He was tempted to escape from S. Korea but after the conversation with Hye Joon, he finally made up his mind not to give up to be a Korean. Hye Joo is certainly a godness for Eugene.

Overall, this drama is an interesting one, it is very contemporary theme and even the context of financial market is a bit over our heads, we should at least try to study the base of economy and how things are manipulated. In the end, Hye joon asked her new boss, what would happen FED is influenced by the President and lose independence. That is happening now!!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, juliacaesar said:

I just finished the final episode.  My heart is in pieces. I'm satisfied with the ending. Not extremely satisfied, but definitely satisfied.

Money Game, I'll miss you <3 

Juliacaesar,  You sure are fast ah.  I'm "quite satisfied".  So there are some disatisfactions - definitely.  I wish there are more scenes on the aftermath of Heo Jae's arrest:  the press, the President of Korea, those people from the Legal Firm, the Korean public.  As usual, it is a bit "rushed".  

But I like the message this drama conveys to us:

- Theory vs Practice:  Prof Chae is all theory without any practice.  He may not necessarily be 100% right.  Heo Jae is all about actions, passions. It is only natural that they clash

- Anger management:  One's life may be destroyed in a moment of madness.  So it pays to mind our emotional IQ and soft power.

- The conflict of Darkness and Light:

In Darkness, we see the cowardice & greed in Jo Hee Bong.  Because he has greed, he is easily bought over by Eugene.  Because he is a coward, he did not immediately report the murder. He was first afraid; then later thought he could one day use the video for personal mileage &  leverage.

The Darkness in Heo Jae made him go to the extremes to achieve his objectives; place personal importance over others and finally begin to believe he is superior to them.

We all have a plethora of such negative qualities hidden in us as well: indecisiveness, fear, anxiety, greed, envy, egotism. But we also have the balance of positive qualities. As long as we can keep the balance, we are safe.  Otherwise, anyone of us can become a Jo Hee Bong or Heo Jae

Hope to meet you all again, in another thread

• Like 1
  • Love 1