[Drama 2021] Sisyphus: The Myth, 시지프스: the myth

0ly40

42 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

I am curious to know how the police officer eventually finds out that he was manipulated by the Control Bureau. He said that he met Tae San. Did Tae San help him realize who are the true bad guys? I also want to know what he means when he told Seo Hae that she must forgive him for what he does to her in order for her to win. If his present self is seeking revenge, could he have killed Seo Hae’s mom?

I am confused by the scene of Seo Jin’ emotions when she unfolded the picture of her and Tae Sul. Does she actually have genuine feelings for Tae Sul? I wonder if she is being manipulated by the chairman.

Some intuitions.

I put that into "spoilers", just in case I see right.

Spoiler

#1 - Policeman Jung will try to snipe heroes next episode.

But what he really ask forgiving is :

It's him, the guy who shoot Seo Hae during the marriage scene.

#2 - Seo Jin.... is... SIGMA boss. :sweatingbullets:

And her main accomplice is the old man of the company, Kim Han Yong.

So, her father.

Be ready to come back to this post, 6 week later, and put an nice emoji on it. ;-)

• Insightful 2

@bedifferent good catch on the dad!  Yes things are getting interesting now.  I am on for the ride.  CSW and PSH make it worthwhile.

@taeunfighting yeah I had those questions too.  Jung’s last words, “no matter what I do from now on, forgive me.  That’s the only way you can win.”  It seemed to imply that if she pursues revenge (?), she would set the future in a course for destruction.  If the CB frame SH as his mother’s killer, then Jung could possibly do a like for like and kill SH’s mom?  And potentially her at the wedding?

yeah I thought it was weird that SeoJin looked at the folded photo again.  She’s having second thoughts?  I do think she’s shifty and has some agenda.  Or she could be someone from the future.

So there’s another organization called Sigma that’s involved.  Why the name Sigma?  Sigma is a summation in mathematics.  Even TSul thought the idea of using his machine to teleport organic substances (like humans with a large amount of “information”) is impossible.  A sugar cube has a simple chemical formula C12H22O11  (cr https://melscience.com/AU-en/chemistry/reagents/65/).  Organic matter like humans is a different thing altogether.  

since TSual mentioned his invention is based on Quantum Teleportation.  This is Wiki’s take on it.  I might need a Dummy’s Guide to cut to the chase. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_teleportation

• Like 4

@taeunfightingJung and his mother ... me too, I was touched!!!  I think Jung will eventually realized (too late) the relationship between his partner and HS.  Or maybe policeman Kang will eventually confront him with the truth after the fact.

I haven't given up on Eddie Kim yet.  His is a case of power not necessarily money plus the need for validation.  He's always been in TS' shadows, he craves recognition, a sense of identity apart from HS.  There's a need to be respected.  It's natural and human to feel jealousy even toward your best friend.  There are people who feeds into his insecurities and manipulated them to their own advantage, esp when one is the woman you like.

@nrlleeOH MY GOD! ohahahahaha. I love reading your recaps, mirrored many of ours watching E4.  You are a born commentator.  Please continue recapping.  I've parked my brain on the side watching this drama but I love when a drama doesn't take itself seriously.  Quantum theories are hard to do right on screen so why not take this approach? I do admit I'm hanging in there for the fun and humor and obviously the likable leads.  It's not offensive (yet), I care for the characters... still engaging entertainment :lol: No wonder jTBC released very little info before hand and left out the comedy part in the drama description.

@nrllee @taeunfighting I too think Jung will commit some mistake/crime against SH or her family to avenge his mom's death.  It was misplaced anger, misunderstandings that affected and perpetuate tragedies for many again and again.  He advised HS to do what he cannot... cause it's the hardest thing for him and many of us to do.  He wants her to forgive whatever mistakes and wrongdoings she suffered to break the vicious cycle.  We will probably see this theme echoes and repeated for many people, including HS.  The writers commented that drama was conceived during the North Korea crisis.  From the preview, I suspect Seoul was the victim of such misunderstanding between the two Koreas (we saw nuclear headings hitting the city).  TS, HS, TSan and many traveled back in time repeatedly as the result.  Depends on they are, their goal is to either save TS or kill him to protect or change the future.  

@pompyaviwe will miss you here.  I totally understand.

@wenchanteuryour thoughts about Seo Jin and Jung  .... never crossed my mind, wow.  Bookmarked.

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

So I looked up the Dummies version of Quantum Teleportation (I need the dummies version with pictures for it to make sense to me)

This one was good - and it had examples.

Park and SH mentioned how the future can’t be changed?  It’s a mirror of the present.  So essentially, Jung’s mom has to die.  She can’t NOT die.  But Jung can come back in time and be nice to her in her final moments to assuage his guilt (regrets).  If the sequence of events is pretty much fixed, then is the implication then that the world is doomed?  The Holocaust will happen?  There’s no real stopping it?  SH in her diary entry says she dies.  So she will die?  So I don’t get the point of her coming back then?  What does she regret?   How can she “save HTS and save the world”?  Is she like Sisyphus in refusing to believe that there’s a certainty about the events to happen (the Boulder rolling down that hill) and trying again and again till she finally averts the catastrophe?  

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bedifferent said:

I've parked my brain on the side watching this drama but I love when a drama doesn't take itself seriously.

Sadly for me, I would have preferred this drama to be serious and dramatic. With only comedy scenes or dialogues that fit in well, without breaking the tone of the story.
Aberrant scenes have a very negative effect on the way I watch the episode.
As soon as a scene of this kind appears, I completely lose immersion and find myself separated from the content. I return to my chair, facing a screen.
A much simpler drama, such as "Train" and without any spectacular effects is thus much more immersive. And yet the episodes are slower and more boring. Knowing that a drama that is too slow can also break the immersion, if you get bored.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:13 AM, bedifferent said:

The coins are valuable I think because of the metals, more useful in post apocalyptic.   

Here, just a little detail about the script, and why I find it quite demanding on some details.
When Seo Hae throws the banknotes away, it makes us feel like this kind of money doesn't make sense anymore, in a completely devastated world.
However, if we consider that people can travel to the past, on the contrary, it is of great use.
But the drama has well organized the sequence of scenes, to show both aspects. And it is only then that the scene with the two soldiers sticking up posters for the Uploader takes place. And this is how Seo Hae learns about time travel. At least, that's how I interpret this scene. If the two events had taken place differently, she would not have thrown the banknotes away.

-----------------------------

Otherwise, I just had another idea about the characters.
The blond boy named Sun (banana boy).
I have a feeling we won't see him again in the drama, or at least we won't see him again for a long time. That makes me feel weird. I doubt that the script just used this character as a secondary character just for one or two episodes.
So I expect to see this character come back, and maybe dramatically. What Seo Hae did will have unforeseen consequences, which the viewer will forget because now the drama has gone in another direction. Sun is going to win the lottery because of the numbers Seo Hae gave him. He will become rich. Once he is rich, he will be one of the survivors of the future. Will he go back in time? Moreover, he has been "contaminated", what does that mean?
This subplot has the characteristics of something designed to come back like a boomerang. Inconsistent decision by the heroine, forgotten act, deadly return.

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

'Sisyphus' beats  'Blade of demonic extinction' X 'Vinsenzo' and ranked 1st on Netflix

Driver approval 2021.02.27 10:05:04

Right after 'Sisyphus: the myth' is released every week, it is proving its explosive popularity by ranking first in Netflix's'Today's Top 10'.

''Sisyphus: the myth', which is airing simultaneously on JTBC channel and entertainment streaming service Netflix Including Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand, it ranked first in Netflix's'Today's Top 10'.

Imagen

In addition, immediately after the 3rd and 4th releases (as of the 26th), it is continuing high altitude, ranking first in the 'Today's Top 10' in 5 countries including Korea, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Taiwan, and Thailand.

'Sisyphus' is a fantasy mystery drama depicting the journey of genius engineer Han Tae-sul (Jo Seung-woo) and the savior Kang Seo-hae (Park Shin-hye) who has gone through a long and dangerous path for him to uncover the existence that is living in our world.

'Sisyphus' , which opened the door to a huge worldview by unfolding its original visuals and stories, opened a successful opening with 6.8% of viewership ratings for the first time and 8.1% for the second time. The 3rd and 4th episodes broadcast this week also recorded the highest ratings per minute of over 8%, solidifying their position as the strongest in Wednesday Mok Drama. (Based on paid furniture in the metropolitan area provided by Nielsen Korea)

Imagen

The secret to the success of 'Sisyphus'  lies in the unique worldview of 'Sisyphus', which was built with the perfect team play of the 'writer, director, actor'. The worldview created by Lee Je-in X Jeon Chan-ho was embodied in the sensational direction of director Jin-hyuk, and actors Cho Seung-woo and Park Shin-hye's striking character play, which they believe in and sees, raised the immersion to the best. Moreover, the rice cakes that have been tumbling in various places from the first week are causing viewers' reasoning radar to be heated and cold, causing the nth replay. This is why it seems that the popularity of 'Sisyphus' in Netflix will continue for a while.

On the other hand, 'Sisyphus', which proves that it is a topical work, is every week with the reaction of viewers saying, "This is the first time in such a unique genre," "It is a drama that I am curious about the next story," and It will be broadcast on Netflix at 9 PM on Wednesday and Thursday at JTBC and 10:30 PM.

Photo provided = Netflix daily ranking capture, JTBC Studio

Reporter Kang Bo-ra mist.diego@slist.kr

cr. m.slist.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=230318

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

On 2/26/2021 at 1:58 PM, nrllee said:

So there’s another organization called Sigma that’s involved.  Why the name Sigma?  Sigma is a summation in mathematics.  Even TSul thought the idea of using his machine to teleport organic substances (like humans with a large amount of “information”) is impossible.  A sugar cube has a simple chemical formula C12H22O11  (cr https://melscience.com/AU-en/chemistry/reagents/65/).  Organic matter like humans is a different thing altogether.

That was an interesting comment by Tae Sul (since he would know best). Maybe different from Park's operation, the "bad guys" didn't use uploader to teleport humans, but for something of non-organic matter.

23 hours ago, bedifferent said:

The writers commented that drama was conceived during the North Korea crisis.  From the preview, I suspect Seoul was the victim of such misunderstanding between the two Koreas (we saw nuclear headings hitting the city).  TS, HS, TSan and many traveled back in time repeatedly as the result.  Depends on they are, their goal is to either save TS or kill him to protect or change the future.

This likely scenario makes sense to me. Now that you mention it, I do remember seeing the nuclear headings in the intro. When Jung teleported from the future, he was supposed to be injected with atropine by one of Park's guys. I looked up what it is used for and one of its uses is treat to poisoning from insecticides and nerve agents. I wonder if chemical weapons may be involved the warfare as well. I hope the reveal of the characters' involvement and significance in the crisis won't disappoint us.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, taeunfighting said:

When Jung teleported from the future, he was supposed to be injected with atropine by one of Park's guys. I looked up what it is used for and one of its uses is treat to poisoning from insecticides and nerve agents. I wonder if chemical weapons may be involved the warfare as well. I hope the reveal of the characters' involvement and significance in the crisis won't disappoint us.

I think in this case Atropine was used to jumpstart his heart.  It’s used for bradycardia (when the heart is beating too slowly).  So presumably it’s used to wake him up from his stupor post time travel so that he can run.

The PD mentioned that this drama was penned when there was the threat of nuclear war between the 2 Koreas.  The North has the habit of launching missiles overhead (all in the name of “testing”) or conducting underground/undersea explosions which can be felt in the South and neighboring countries (like Japan). He was toying with the idea of “what if”.  So in the event of the Holocaust, there would be radiation in the atmosphere and surroundings.  The surrounding area around the Fukushima plant (20km radius) was largely vacated for quite a while after the fallout.  That’s why the people from the future have radiation signals.  And people from CB wear those masks.  To reduce their exposure.  I initially thought those vests that Park got everyone to strap on before they went looking for Jung were Kevlars.  But they could be lead vests (to protect your vital organs against radiation)?  Although they don’t look heavy enough to be either.  But never mind. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nrllee said:

I think in this case Atropine was used to jumpstart his heart.  It’s used for bradycardia (when the heart is beating too slowly).  So presumably it’s used to wake him up from his stupor post time travel so that he can run.

Ah okay, obviously this part went over my head. LOL. It makes sense to me now.

- - - - - -

One more thing about episode 4 that I didn't quite understand is when Tae Sul asked about the issue of names/identities with the present and future selves, Park's guy replied "Time paradox. Their bodies and memories get mixed. And, eventually one side disappears". Did anyone happen to understand what this means? Is there two or one person in the present??

• Like 2