[Drama 2021] Sisyphus: The Myth, 시지프스: the myth

0ly40

Thoughts for Ep 3

The invention of ice cube teleport is interesting and perhaps TS invention is not so well accepted in the future which might be the reason why he the target to get kill.

I wanna kick RickRoll'D that sniper for taking so long to shoot TS on stage, if you claimed yourself as a Professional shooter.

SH yelled at TS to take cover and then cut to her showing holding a tablet with Korean writing telling him to duck, where did she managed to get hold of the tablet ?

The gun SH uses looks like a water toy gun and the scene on top of the buidling.

When she slides down the building she grabs TS and slides down, if her body weight is light and TS is heavy, dont you think TS weight will pull her down instead of vice versa.

I am confused between The Broker and Control Bureau.... hopefully the following episodes will shed some lights.

:crazymad:

The last scene with the sudden appearance with a guy topless lying on the floor with a case,if he is from the future well

at least show us some sexy brief instead of boxer short .

:Megalol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

I only got to watch part of episode 4. I thought it was cute how happy Seo Hae was scoring the BTS poster. She was listening to their song "Spring Day" through her headphones. It does seem that people in her time are missing loved ones/longing for the past and hoping that they'll meet each other again one day. I've been to Myeong-dong several times. Seeing Seo Hae walking through this lively and bustling neighborhood in the present as empty and abandoned in the future is quite eerie and sad. It was interesting that Won dollars were not of value to her yet what looks like USD coins were.

I've gotten used to Seo Hae saving Tae Sul so for a change, it was nice seeing him come back to save her. I really liked this part:

Seo Hae's suitcase password is "120930". I wonder if it could be similar to Tae San's suitcase password as Tae Sul's birthday. This would make her 8 years old in 2020.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen the trailer of her wearing a formal outfit in a house party and had encounter with Eddie Kim. It’s interesting to know if she’s the same character but forgot some memories from 2020. 

Edited by ferily
Please don't quote gifs. Thanks!
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Afxdy said:

With that, we can assume that Soe Hae was already 5 to 10yr old in 2020. She might find her present self and hand over her diary by herself.

But she should know how to eat a banana if grew up in our time?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

This would make her 8 years old in 2020.

So she could very well be the little girl who penned the letter to TSul?  The one who said she will marry him?  The names are not the same but hey, this drama keeps me guessing. :lol: I need to catch up on last night’s ep later today.

53 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

I am confused between The Broker and Control Bureau.... hopefully the following episodes will shed some lights.

I think the CB is the official government body - think of them as your Immigration Control.  Except they are stopping illegal immigrants from the future.  The Broker functions as your mercenaries.  They are your people smugglers.  The people you pay to give you safe passage into another country.  They promise to help you integrate into the new world.  Or just smuggle you in.  They will get you on the boat but that’s it.  You pay them for it.  Mr Park mentioned he had brokers on the other side as well so presumably he had people/agents in the future who send these people over.  He’s on this side receiving them.  That’s why he goes through their luggage for valuables.  TSul’s brother obviously promised him payment for his trip in the form of a key to the safe.  So the CB and brokers know about each other but they aren’t on the same side if that makes sense.  

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, Thong Thin said:

Thoughts for Ep 3

The invention of ice cube teleport is interesting and perhaps TS invention is not so well accepted in the future which might be the reason why he the target to get kill.

I wanna kick RickRoll'D that sniper for taking so long to shoot TS on stage, if you claimed yourself as a Professional shooter.

SH yelled at TS to take cover and then cut to her showing holding a tablet with Korean writing telling him to duck, where did she managed to get hold of the tablet ?

The gun SH uses looks like a water toy gun and the scene on top of the buidling.

When she slides down the building she grabs TS and slides down, if her body weight is light and TS is heavy, dont you think TS weight will pull her down instead of vice versa.

:crazymad:

The last scene with the sudden appearance with a guy topless lying on the floor with a case,if he is from the future well

at least show us some sexy brief instead of boxer short .

:Megalol:

For the Tablet, she just can grab it off somebody on the way to the hall, or even in the hall itself moments before flashing it.

Regarding the slide, weight is not only the factor here. technique and experience plays a larger role in these kind of situation. For Tae Sul it might be a fall, but for Seo Hae it's a controlled descent.

The broker = gangs that transport people illegally.  in exchange for that, the illegal immigrant must carry with them some kind of cargo for the gang along with their personal belongings, thus the suitcase.

Control Bureau  = government body that stops the illegal immigrant.  Always comes in a big group with black suits.

BTW, its a sugar cube not ice cube. he mention its a polymer, and carries it in a paper wrap

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Afxdy said:

For the Tablet, she just can grab it off somebody on the way to the hall, or even in the hall itself moments before flashing it.

Regarding the slide, weight is not only the factor here. technique and experience plays a larger role in these kind of situation. For Tae Sul it might be a fall, but for Seo Hae it's a controlled descent.

The broker = gangs that transport people illegally.  in exchange for that, the illegal immigrant must carry with them some kind of cargo for the gang along with their personal belongings, thus the suitcase.

Control Bureau  = government body that stops the illegal immigrant.  Always comes in a big group with black suits.

BTW, its a sugar cube not ice cube. he mention its a polymer, and carries it in a paper wrap

Oops !... thanks for highlighting.

11 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

It was interesting that Won dollars were not of value to her yet what looks like USD coins were.

I've gotten used to Seo Hae saving Tae Sul so for a change, it was nice seeing him come back to save her.

The coins are valuable I think because of the metals, more useful in post apocalyptic.    I absolutely love PSH/CSW bickering.  Their chemistry is just so good.  What's great is their blossoming team work, HS has warm up to TS.  Her answers are no longer terse and one worded.  He on the other hand doesn't fear her anymore.  Great to see the comedian coming out of CSW.  Was any part of their dialogues improvised I wonder?

Yeah, dates are important, her suitcase combination could may very well be her bday.  The intro of HS wandering through Seoul was a little poignant.  I can totally see why the girlie flower power was necessary, really in that bleak dreary deserted future, HS needs cheery pretty things.

12 hours ago, Afxdy said:

looking at how young the 'jumper guy' is, Seo Hae must come from 20 or 25 years from the future. the guy must jumped after Seo Hae because his id number is bigger than her, by about 2000.

With that, we can assume that Soe Hae was already 5 to 10yr old in 2020. She might find her present self and hand over her diary by herself.

This episode was very good.  The action sequences are the weaker parts of the episode but they were very fun, kept to the story moving.

Sooooo many Easter eggs.... things are slowly coming together.  @pompyavi@nrlleeI hope you watch at least this episode cuz things are getting interesting.

1) HS father! We met him in 2020.  The older policeman Kang Dong Ki.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.58.42 PM

same person...

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.56.34 PM

2) The young cop Jung Hyun-gi.  Such a sad life.  We saw him first as the downloaded guy and later as HS' father partner one night.  He is the axis which our episode spins from.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 7.59.18 PM

He knows where Tae San is because he came from the future.

The scenes in this episode are not in chronological order so bear with me here. After the download, Hyun-gi asked TS to take him somewhere in exchange for info on Tsan.  We see them driving to his mom's house meeting her for the last time before she died.

The circumstances behind her death was shown later, out of sequence, as we now see the same person in 2020 the night before.  Hyun-gi and policeman Kang stopped by the convenience store.  At that time, Hyun-gi ignored a phone call from his mother while  Kang played the lottery.  This is why HS knows the winning numbers.  Her father played lotto regularly.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.29.24 PM

They then responded to a robbery.  Hyun-Gi got into a confrontation with a downloaded being.  He was then arrested and quarantined by CB. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.05.36 PM

From the preview, he was shown later a CCTV video of HS.  Sounds like CB blamed HS, pointing her as the perpetrator who broke into the house and killed his mom?

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.08.44 PM

He was then recruited to become MIB?  shown here.  Maybe this is why CB arrested the illegal immigrants from the future instead of killing them.  They turned them into agents and assassins by uploading them to the past.

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.09.02 PM

I don't know if the shooter guy who tried to assassinate HS at the Busan conference is Hyun-Gi at another time... LOL.  Could be?

3) That said, Hyun-Gi of the future revealed quite a bit to HS and TS

Spoiler

He knows where TSan is... He will be at a party on Aug 27th... which is only a few days away.  TS recognized the address as old man Kim Han-Young.  Hyun-Gi warned about the second floor. LOL

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.00.22 PM

Before he dies, Hyun-Gi asked HS to forgive his future self (as MIB or the Busan assasin?) There is a chance Hyun-GI (from the above) takes out revenge on future HS for his mom's death.  She just doesn't know yet, hope she wrote it down somewhere in her diary to read later!  

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.06.59 PM

Then we circled back later to the police road block manned by HS' father, policeman Kang.  As he reads the bulletin, he recognized Hyun-Gi's address and spot the red car license plate as his dtr/TS sped by on the bridge :lol:

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.23.34 PM

Screencap sourced from Netflix

That's how much I was able to piece together for now. 

:idk:

These two are so silly.  Fantastic chemistry.

Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 10.12.39 PM

Tae Sul is not your typical Kdrama hero.  I have a blast watching his character, he is so unpredictable and unpretentious.... hahaha

The man is just special.  :kicks:

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.01.20 PMScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.01.28 PM

LOLLLLLLL

But he's definitely charming and has a way with words.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.03.03 PMScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.04.12 PMScreen Shot 2021-02-25 at 8.04.23 PM

• Like 6
  • Love 2

@bedifferent Watched ep 4. I will skim it once it gets over. My schedule is hectic that I can spare two dramas at the moment. I am enjoying Beyond evil and will checkout Mouse once it starts..

So this is what I guess is gonna happen according to plot wise:

1. Circumstances will lead Tae Sul to invent the uploader even if he doesn’t want or Seo Hae tries to stop him. The desire to meet his brother will be one of the factor.

2. Seo Hae will write the diary again and keep noting the events. The present Seo Hae is a kid of the cop. 

3. Seo Hae and Tae Sul will fall in love and during his wedding the sigma shoots Seo Hae and Tae Sul will choose Seo Hae. That's where the loop starts every time.

4. Grown up Seo Hae will give the diary to little Seo Hae or keep it in a place where little Seo Hae can only find it.

5. Her dad the current cop will know in future that he was trying to stop his own daughter and ask Seo Hae to stay away from Tae Sul.

6. In future after the invention of uploader, war may happen between North and South Korea to get hold of the technology. 

7. Loop will go on multiple times until both Seo Hae and Tae Sul realizes that they need find some loop hole. They will find a loophole and decide to do things differently and come out of the loop. (So in DARK time stood still during the apocalypse in the last cycle, breaking the cause and chain effects. That's where the protagonists did things differently and ended the knot.) Something similar will happen here as well.

8. Once the loop is broken, either Seo Hae or Tae Sul may perish. Or every thing will be reset.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

according to Wiki (dont know how accurate this is), HyunGi came from 15 years later :letsgo:

新上任的管制局人員,前任巡警。他是一個一生善良誠實的小市民,每天值班巡查,為了給生病的媽媽做飯而回家的善良兒子。15年後,他懷着深深的悔恨回到了過去。
  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 1

Ep4 as I saw it

- Park asks SH what her number is.  SH said she’s around 250,000.  So they are assigned a number which depicts the number of people downloaded into the past.  The number on her arm is her unique ID.  She’s number 250811.  Park mentioned the henchmen were around 10,000 (so they were the earlier ones).

- there’s only a 10% chance of success when downloading (I guess those mutant ones in the convention were the failed ones). About half of those successful are caught by the CB. Which means only 5% of the 250,000 that were downloaded remain in existence.

Thanks to TSul for asking all the relevant questions for us :lol:

TS - what is that (the guy is about to inject a hypodermic into the neck of the new guy who was just downloaded)

Henchman1 - Atropine. They are taught to run as soon as they arrive.

TS - why do they come only in their underwear?

H1 - they need to transfer the least amount of information to prevent errors.

TS - what’s in that suitcase?

H1 - stuff they want to bring. Stuff like money.

TS - you said they need the least bit of information...

H1 - they can’t come emptyhanded. They need to survive.

TS - right...but what if someone’s future self comes here? Won’t there be issues if there’s a same identity and information?

H1 - time paradox. Their bodies and memories get mixed. And eventually one side disappears.

There are still lapses in logic but I am done with nitpicking the science of stuff so whatever.  TS saves the new dude because he tells him he knows where his brother TSan is. :huh: My logical brain is also suffering lapses because the new dude who arrives is conveniently ripped. :lol:. Anyway, TSul being the intelligent man that he is, leaves SH (aka Lara Croft) to handle all the MIB on her own.  You go girl!  Kapow.  Take that you nasty extra with no name.  Meanwhile, TS calmly builds an app so he can commandeer an electric car (which doesn’t belong to him).  Then TSul yells out mid scripting in Perl, “Stop fighting and come here!”  :lol:. She gets overpowered and yells back valiantly (just as he starts the car with the new app), “just go!” TSul looks appalled at the thought of it, “Go? Really?”  But he obeys. And SH is caught by the CB.

Just when you thought that TS is scum for leaving his partner like that, as rude CB MIB man (who has lines, ala right hand man of CB chief) slaps SH (you so deserve to die for hitting a woman, how dare you) and threatens to kills her, “do you want to die?”.  SH repeats her line, cool as a cucumber, “not today”.  And their van gets jackknifed by...wait...an electric car.  It can’t be...but it is...TS to the rescue.  See, he learns fast. :lol:.  He chastises her (and I melt), “didn’t I tell you to hurry up?”.  She’s just as petulant in her reply.  “How could you abandon me?”.  And takes her hand. :thumbsup: :love: Love is in the air.

We get a flashback (I think?). Ripped dude is a Police officer (I guess that’s why he’s ripped) who has an ill mother that he has to care for.  He doesn’t do a good job of looking after her.   He meets a man who was newly downloaded (faulty) who is missing an arm.  And later on his arm materializes.  So I guess this is why Park asked TSul (TSan) during the phone call if all his limbs were intact?  Anyway, he is taken away by the CB together with the new download.  Presumably because he’s been contaminated? 

Eddy Kim talks to the Chairman (Old dude who told him he could take over from TS) and CB Chief arrives.  They talk about the text Eddy was supposed to have received from TS.  Chief and Chairman seem to exchange knowing glances (so they obviously know something that Eddy doesn’t).  Eddy checks his phone for the text message but it’s not there!  Dun dun dun. :huh:. Chief tells Eddy that he’s seeing things because he’s stressed. 

TS asks SH pertinent questions about the uploader/downloader which he deduces is his creation.  The teleportation device that he used.  He asks what’s with the radiation spikes in the Geiger counter.  Then he none so subtly tells her to stay on her side of the car (away from him) :lol:.  He brings up the wedding photo.  Then reveals that she’s not exactly his type. :lol: She says ditto. So they make a pact NOT to get married in the future. His jibes at her just crack me up. “Why are you here?  Is there some secret to your birth? Am I your dad?”  :lol::lol::lol::lol:. 

Eddy signs document of dismissal of TS. Date 15Aug 2020.

SH tells TS that everyone is trying to kill him. CB and Sigma. She tells him Sigma is trying to kill him because of his uploader invention.  She’s here to protect him and stop him from inventing the uploader.  New dude says his final farewell to his mom. Then gives them TSan’s address. Tells TS not to go to the study on the second floor. Tells SH not to go outside. He’s the sniper whose first mission (by CB) is to kill her.  Tact team (TT) from CB swarms in. And SH with her spidey senses realizes in the nick of time and they hide? She tosses a smoke bomb and tact team unleashes multiple rounds everywhere.  It’s a miracle they don’t kill each other you know? Thanks be to Kevlar.  SH singlehandedly takes them all out. No need for ripped dude to intervene.  Wait...tact team has infrared technology but for some reason, SH remains undetected.  She’s a cold blooded killer.  My word, someone in the TT has brains. They use a simple fan to clear the smoke to reveal SH in all her leather clad glory.  TS tells her to come over here.  What a man.  Good thinking. SH rushes into the kitchen, opens the fridge door which acts as a shield against the rapid gunfire from TT.  TT yell out their warning, “surrender now. it’s over” Like hell it is.  Because TS morphs into MacGyver once more.  He’s mixing cola with butane.  Product placement I see you.  Meanwhile Chief is watching remotely from HQ (through someone’s body cam I guess), probably cursing at their ineptitude?  TSul explains the whole science around his escape plan.  Thank you.  I so needed that.  And launches glass coke bottles into the faces of TT!  Why didn’t I think of that?  Last man standing takes pot shots at the fridge door.  Succeeds only in hitting eggs. TS launches another coke bottle into his face and he too is out for the count.  Now that’s the way to impress a woman.  Way to go TS.  SH is a goner.  She’s fallen head over heels for sure.  Ripped dude stumbles out from the bedroom where his mom was, he’s been hit.  Who would’ve guessed?  His number was up.  But not before he asks them to forgive him for his deeds (later on?) and he gives them his car keys. Of course he does.  Second Unit who has been waiting outside all this time whilst first unit was taken out by coke bottles, decides just at that moment to head inside.  And TS and SH jump out of the side window and escape just in the nick of time.  They get into a cute red car and speed away. TT2 sifts through the mess inside.  Takes a good couple of minutes before it dawns on TT2 leader that the window was open and that was how they escaped. Reports to a frustrated Chief who screams at his surveillance team, “Find them!”  And decides that humans can’t be trusted so decides to utilize technology and sends drones in pursuit instead. 

TS wonders how they found them and realizes his phone GPS was the culprit so he decides to just get rid of it.  But not before he tries to take out a drone with it in the process.  What a man. If you’re going to toss a phone out a car window why not use it as a projectile to take out an enemy drone?  It worked with coke bottles.  But no, he misses.   The car chase is just...hilarious...suffice to say the drones have machine guns strapped to them.  And they cause a lot of damage to public property.  The streets are strangely deserted but hey maybe it’s lockdown.  Then by sheer luck (I want to think it’s deliberate on TS’s part - his driving is worthy of a stunt driver), 2 of the drones get taken out.  With the 3rd one out of commission care of the car door.  Hey, whatever works.  But what about the last one?  Better just stop the car and let it find us you know?  And it falls into the trap. Loads up ready to fire at TS who just stares like a deer in spotlights. SH shoves him aside and shoots.  Bullseye.  Screen greys out for CB Chief.  Take that you loser!  But it’s not over.  Chief heads out with everyone in HQ and they continue the chase. They must’ve just been around the corner because before you know it, they are right on the tail of the little red car (Elon eat your heart out).  They enlist the police to help who set up a barricade.  Which appears to be set up wrong because everyone just zips past.  The road ends for them and they get out of the car. TS tells SH to take her leather jacket off because it absorbs water.  Chief gets out of his car all smug thinking he has them caught now.  Meanwhile, TS asks SH how much she weighs (he needs to calculate if they will survive the jump).  She refuses to tell him. He conveniently aims high, “55kg?” She retorts, “50!”  So he rambles on about how she will end up 7m under water from that height.  Then he grabs her hand (so smooth :wub:), “so don’t let go of my hand.” .  She gets shot on her arm mid flight as they leap off the bridge and she lets go of his hand. O No!  She loses her diary which opens to a page and voice over reads the entry from herself.  “Happy birthday SH. By the time you read this, I’ll be dead. Save HTS and you will save the world.  If you save him, the war can be stopped. Only you can do this.”  The writing fades as she opens her eyes to see TS swimming towards her.  She revisits her father’s warning to her before she left the future.

Whew what a ride.  I am enjoying this more than I thought I would.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought the introduction of the police officer from the future added more excitement to the plotline. I don’t know about everyone else, but I needed tissues watching his farewell meeting with his mother. It was hinted that there may be a theme of “regret” for various characters. The writer did a great job highlighting it here. In reality, we can’t go back and change the past, but it was comforting to see the possibility of getting closure in an alternate universe.

I am curious to know how the police officer eventually finds out that he was manipulated by the Control Bureau. He said that he met Tae San. Did Tae San help him realize who are the true bad guys? I also want to know what he means when he told Seo Hae that she must forgive him for what he does to her in order for her to win. If his present self is seeking revenge, could he have killed Seo Hae’s mom?

Chairman Kim and the CB Chief were exchanging suspicious glances. Does it appear that they are conspiring together? Maybe this is why Pres. Park distrusts the system and is running his own underground operation. Legal...illegal...who is right...who is wrong?

Eddy Kim does not seem like a bad guy, but success/career seem important to him and tends to fall under pressures from the chairman. Hopefully, he will ultimately choose his best friend over the corporation.

I am confused by the scene of Seo Jin’ emotions when she unfolded the picture of her and Tae Sul. Does she actually have genuine feelings for Tae Sul? I wonder if she is being manipulated by the chairman.

My understanding is that Tae Sul created the downloader in 2002 and Seo Hae said the uploader appeared around 2021 (which is around the corner). Should be fascinating to know how the misuse of Tae Sul’s inventions may have contributed to the war and why he must live to stop it. I hope the writer doesn’t fail to tie everything together and give us a sensible story behind it.

The preview for the next episode looked good, but after seeing them look after each other in episode 4, I was disappointed that Tae Sul and Seo Hae may go their separate ways. Hopefully, not for long though.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1
  • Blob 1