[Drama 2021] Sisyphus: The Myth, 시지프스: the myth

0ly40

So I slowed down the footage.

First hit that created the hole and then took out the engine.  It looked like the suitcase.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Then as the copilot tries to pull the other “dead” pilot off the controls, something else catches his eye.  It looks like a person.  It also results in TaeSul looking out the window as he sees the person fly past.

spacer.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

Hey, got that too, the PSH fight scene in one fluid take! :) As I watched, dang, was that scene continuous? Had to stop, rewind and confirmed it (about 45 sec long). Also took 10 seconds screen time from Seohae locking the door to the actual start of the fight scene, why so long I'm not sure too.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:32 PM, kboramint said:

Woah, the action scenes in Episode 2 are totally cool. I like the fight scene that happened in the apartment. They didn't cut away during the action. It was all one shot. Also, I like that Park Shin Hye did a superhero landing. Deadpool would be proud.  

-Interrogation scene, especially the beige room, reminds me much of The Matrix and Mr. Smith. The rotating shot to establish the scene was long-ish, I couldn't help but absorb the beige color. :) 

spacer.png

-Taesul making an explosive in quick time, very MacGyver-ish.

While I  honestly have scaled back my expectations of this drama, I still would like to express how I appreciate the director and writers sincere efforts to get the Sisyphus vibe right even by means of these visual homages to other memorable scenes and characters, inadvertently or not. So let's have a fun ride with this one. :)

• Like 6
  • Blob 1

On 2/19/2021 at 6:51 AM, pompyavi said:

The plot lacks something but I don't know what :sweatingbullets:?? I think many noticed that the plane crashing scene was overdone. Simple things were neglected like contacting the control tower. The simple things stand out the most.

It happens to the plot that you are not paying enough attention to the plot! :Ohboy3:

Radio call to the control tower.

16:00 - the pilot tries to call the control tower "mayday mayday", no answer.
19:00 - the pilot tries to call again, without success.
19:08 - pilot says "Electrical system failure!"
I understand in this scene that the radio does not work because it depends on the electrical system. Or the pilot receives the messages in his helmet, but in this case the director would certainly play these messages, and the pilot would answer them.
19:48 - Tae Seul says to the pilot: "The power's out only for the control panel."
I don't know if the translation is correct. That part is pretty fuzzy. It's hard to know what works or doesn't work in this situation.
You see a panel going off, I guess the physical controls are working, but not the control systems that depend on the power supply, nor the radio. Tae Seul has 3 minutes and 30 seconds to fix all this before the crash, because the pilot can't steer the aircraft without the indications of the control systems.

Then Tae Sul is low enough altitude to receive phone calls. He asked Eddie Kim by phone to contact the control tower. Confirming that it is impossible to contact it from the plane.

On the realism of the dramas.

One thing amuses me: all the dramas are crazy unrealistics and start with an unreal starting situation. And even a lot of action films. Suddenly, I see a lot of comments all over the place pointing at that drama and accusing it of being unrealistic. Why is that? But basically, it's good like that, because it's a science fiction story. And a science fiction story is better, if there's enough science in it.

So I'm going to take the example of this airplane scene to show that, on the contrary, the script does everything to make it acceptable, where a majority of films, dramas or series wouldn't have produced even a tenth of this effort.

The aim of the scene: to begin the drama with an extremely spectacular event, connected to the main plot by a striking fact (a man and a suitcase in the sky), while presenting the hero's universe (the people in his company).
The other important elements : of course, it is not to waste time with control tower dialogues or to show all the details of the landing. On the other hand, Tae Seul's dialogue on the phone is not only justified for a comical reason (the hero being able to do everything at once in an emergency situation), but is also justified because he has to dictate his will. He thinks that he has a chance of not surviving. It is also a way to show the personality of the hero (ability to concentrate, calm, ready to contemplate death, no feeling of invulnerability or overconfidence, and very responsible, so that his death leaves a legacy to the living).
Goal of bearable realism: Like any over-the-top action movie scene, the goal of realism is not to show that it's done in the way of a documentary. However, there are good films in this genre, such as the true story of Appolo 13. But it's much less spectacular, and it takes a whole film to show that. Otherwise, it's just as exciting!
The goal of realism here is to provide enough guidance to the viewer, so that they are ready to believe in it in the context of an action movie. The sense of detail, explanations, and visuals make it more believable than it is.

I'm willing to believe that the writers might have forgotten something, because in reality it's very easy to forget something on a 16-hour script with a high density like this one. Besides, some people voluntarily "forget" something. They know it, but they don't talk about it because it would slow down the action. But here, they choose to take a little time, rather than go into shortcuts like those in movies.

Sustainable realism of the airplane scene.

16:53: General panic, the plane is out of control. The hero is with the passengers. He grabs his suitcase! Rather strange attitude at this moment. We don't know why, and besides, he is half knocked down with it. (which gives rise to a dream-flashback).

17:30: the hero takes a kit! The kit was attached to his suitcase. We will then see that it holds several things, including big scotch tape. Then the hero goes to the cockpit. This means one thing: from the beginning of the accident, he guesses a kind of collision, and a puncture problem. For an engineer, it's nothing extraordinary that he has a bit of this kind of material among his luggage.

17:45: the hero enters the cockpit. If I had to point out one unrealistic detail, it's this one. The cockpits are secured and locked for safety reasons. EXCEPT THAT!! It was a joke... :P
Back to 16:20: the pilot presses the button to open the cockpit door with the elbow !!! Either by accident or intentionally because the cockpit is depressurized at high speed. In order not to die from depressurization in an enclosed space, the door must be opened, and the depressurization disperses further, at a sustainable rate.
Back to 16:27: the depressurization reaches the passenger area, so the hero has even more reason to guess that it is a puncture, and that it comes from the cockpit. Then he will act accordingly and take his kit with the tape and go into the cockpit.

17:50: the hero enters the cockpit. He DOES NOT FORGET to close the cabin door! So that the pressure returns to normal among the passengers.
Therefore, he will then use OXYGEN MASKS in the cockpit until the pressure is balanced!
He checks the poul of the first pilot! He does not forget the gesture of first aid.

18:10 : The hero puts an oxygen mask on the pilot and shakes it to wake him up.  He starts by taking care of the pilot. It is essential, the hero probably does not know how to fly, even if he knows how to repair a plane. This shows here a general trait certainly used for the whole drama. The FL is the action character, the ML the thinking character. So, repairing a plane yes (thinking), flying it no ( action). This highlights a hero who is not all-powerful and who cant do everything, but who is limited to his areas of expertise.
Then, the hero also uses an oxygen mask.

18:20: The hero asks the pilot what's going on, the pilot shows him the hole in the cockpit. The hero immediately pulls out his scotch tape, because that's what he was expecting. I don't know the exact meaning of the dialogue: either the hole is difficult to see, or the hero was asking for more information, or it's to help the spectator follow the action.

18:55: the hero uses a transparent notepad plate, the kind used under the flight order sheets. The utensil is credible in context.

19:00: The hero states that pilots used this trick to plug holes during the war. I find it hard to believe that this anecdote is pure invention. I did some research without being able to find it on the internet: it is likely that the scriptwriters had technical assistance from an aviation expert, be it for problems of depressurization, closed cockpit, electronic devices, or this anecdote.
In any case, this repair is based on logical and concrete physics. Air is sucked in from the inside to the outside. Therefore, the plate used to seal the breach will automatically stick itself on it. All that remains to be done is to ensure its stability with tape and to tape the leaks on the sides of the plate. What we see in the drama.

20:35: The electrical system of the control panel needs to be repaired! The hero takes an object out of his bag to unscrew a plate between the two pilots. At first I thought it was a screwdriver. No! Just not. The scenario doesn't use a magical process with the perfect tools at hand. It's another object, vaguely resembling a hardware carrier.
Note: often in action movies, the hero has nothing and arrives with his hands in his pockets, resulting in unrealistic things. Here, all the objects used have a logical reason to be there! Moreover, it shows a hero who is not superhuman, capable of anything and everything, he uses tools, and uses the means on board to turn an object into a tool if necessary. Moreover, he manages the crisis in the same way as a first-aider applies first aid. He is directive with the pilot, giving precise and formal instructions, without panicking or generating panic. This is what first aiders do.

20:50: the hero needs a magnet, that's why he unscrews the central panel. Here, we are either in real science (thanks to expert advice), or in "magic science" as it is often used in action movies when it comes to nebulous technical problems (which nobody knows anyway except the experts), or we are in real science (expert advice) but biased for the needs of the script (which Christopher Nolan did in Interstellar).

27:50 : In this kind of scene, you need a climax, the dramatic objective takes precedence over the rest. Something simple and visually striking. Music and trumpets! The hero only needs to join two electrodes by making sparks, while the plane is about to crash into buildings. Luminous flash, end of the scene. Seeing all the landing that follows was probably not useful. Everything we saw of the hero's personality that we needed to see was seen, there is no point in wasting time on a purely factual transition that is meaningless for the narrative.

Conclusion.

Like all of you, I have read 100 comments deploring the lack of realism of this scene. And I don't know the motivation behind this complaint, when it's about a drama like the others, except of higher quality, movie one (directing, plot, etc).
However, the fact that 100 people say the same thing at the same time does not make it a truth.
So, here is 1 comment, by which I think there is a spectacular action scene prepared with an incredible care, a great sense of detail, a respect of credulity, which uses directly the main plot (man and suitcase in the sky), which develops in a minimum of time (less than 5 minutes!) the personality and the environment of the hero, and which arrives just at the beginning of the drama to hit very hard.
Personally, I would put this into a guide: how to write a very good action scene, or how to start a drama.
I read a commentary that said it makes you feel smarter watching this drama. Yes, I do feel smarter after this decoding work, I learned something about the art of establishing a chronology of coherent sequences with meticulousness.

• Like 2
  • Unamused 1
  • Love 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 2

Just saw the first 2 episodes and I am in for the ride. Reason no. 1: Because it's CSW! Seeing Simok smile, throw tantrums, flirt---- I can't tell you guys how satisfying it has been for me to watch CSW in this avatar. Reason no. 2: The story. I get the criticisms (esp the airplane scene was just not required) but hey it's sci-fi so as it is we have signed up for some mind bending stuff so for now I am going to just go with the flow. Also again, it's CSW- I honestly need no other reason. I am so glad both sisyphus and vincenzo premier this week- offering a perfect getaway in an otherwise not so great week for me.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

2020.08.13 수트케이스 절대절대

절대 열면 안됨!! (한태술에게 전화할 것!!)

들고 뛸까?

Suitcase absolute absolute
Never open it!!
(Call Han Tae-Sul!!)
Shall I run?

Imagen

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

4 hours ago, pompyavi said:

@bedifferent How you have been? 

Simple things were neglected like contacting the control tower. The simple things stand out the most.

I believe this is not Seo Hae's first time traveling to past. She had a diary with events noted. In ep 2 we got a glimpse that she and Tae sul know each other. Also there's a number tagged in her arm before she traveled. Don't know what that signifies?? Serial number of travelers?? Also how could a living body flicker, does not matter what amount of radioactive particle you carry within you. Is she being pulled in her timeline?? Or does she belong to a branch timeline and some kind of wormhole is trying to skew the timelines??

Hello, I am good.   Still only at the beginning of E2.  Yay, we have investigative minds on this thread :D hello @nrllee @Sleepy OwlI will adjust my expectations and enjoy the ride/discussions, I think as long as this is fun, I am in for the entertainment.

I felt really bad for the airline attendants who was super professional throughout the whole ordeal.  They looked like they could have suffered injuries gravely but no, no one's hair was out of place, no one was bruised and bled.  Make up was perfectly fine. 

The plane crash is pivotal in the plot.  It forced Tae Sul to reexamine his own guilt over Tae San's death and deal with his emotions honestly instead of just covering the pain with medications or simply denying them. Tae Sul couldn't care less about saving others on the plane and even while his life is in danger, he was able to remain relatively detached during the whole 3.5min ordeal.   He became dull from the medications and buried grief.  The phone scene is illogical factually speaking (I get the depressurization, phone call, air tower contact ...) but perhaps deliberately exaggerated to illustrate how lifeless Tae Sul has become.  The composed Tae Sul has the nerve of steel because he has depressed his emotions.  His logical brain still computes that he needs to will his estate and unbury his secrets about the GF. LOL

It also brings Tae Sul into the world that his brother knew before his death (though I think  the Tae San at the convention was the future Tae San that tried to warn him).  Obviously, Tae San also time travels since he took his brother's wedding pictures and photographed things along his many trips.  Using SLR 55 mm was the key to capturing history since digital cameras software/hardware technology change through time.  It was one logic that was done right.  The plane accident is the catalyst that sent Tae Sul into this loop of trying to invent time traveling (or whatever Quantum mechanics) to save his brother and inadvertently destroy the world.  We don't know whether Tae Sul does indeed time travel as well to try saving Seo Hae.

I agree with your wormhole theory... esp the loop theory.  Seo Hae flickers whenever something or an event in the past changed her present.  Like @nrlleesaid, it fits with the myth of Sisyphus being punished by rolling up the boulder.  Here, Seo Hae traveling through time trying to reconcile and fix Tae Sul's actions.  Would also explain for me how the timid Seo Hae in the beginning became a strong warrior fighter.  We get to see her first trip in episode 1.  The serial numbers could be the Uploader's ID and logging of time travelers.  I will keep watching for the diary explanation.

2 hours ago, nrllee said:

And for CSW I will try anything.  

I agree about this not being her first time.  I guess that ties in with the whole Sisyphean concept (repeating the same thing over and over again).  If she relies on the diary, does it mean her memory gets wiped with the time travel?  Which is why she needs the diary to jog her memory?  But wouldn’t you keep a more detailed journal though?  

LOL.  I actually like seeing CSW character here.  Tae Sul has potential, a more complex character than a simple engineer genius scientist CEO from the intro synopsis.  I think he will do well, hope his character is not like one in God's Gift.   I like PSH's action scenes!! complete with the comic POW flash punch, superhero fly and landing.  I too am surprised that no shot was fired during the roof scene.  I was yelling in my head to run in a zig zag pattern (ala Games of Thrones) just in case they shoot!!  I like PSH the action star!

It makes sense how her memories are recalled during her dreams; the nerves reconnect and shift in the brain.  Time traveling would mess all that up, Seo Hae jots down points whenever these memories pop up to record them (maybe when she wakes up from sleep or LOC), her missions.  Maybe that is why they are not detailed.  I am guessing, I haven't watched that part yet.

2 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I think her recent memories are still there (she didn't answer the guy much but her hunger took over her and she spoke to him), and the reason she tried to contact Tae Sul is maybe she wants to break the cycle, "if he opens the bag, everything will repeat" and so on. 

Now, what I have trouble with is the condition of Tae San's suitcase, relatively good after passing through the plane's engine... or was it Tae San that did?  shudders...  yikes.  If I understand this correctly, the contents of the suitcases are catered specific by each travelers, not more than 30 kg and serve a purpose.  All contents are important to survive in the new world that they time traveled to but none has things that are practical (like ramen, clothes, shampoo, LOL...).  They are expected to survive the fall (in the sky like Tae San) hopefully with all limbs in tact.  What I also want to know is if these people plan to come back to their original timeline? What is the purpose for their time travel? Is it escapism of the current bleak condition, change the course of their lives, reunite with loved ones, etc..? Is it therapy, is it a form of rewards, punishment?  Ethically, it is not just a transportation mode through time but should have been controlled by some authority who approved the purpose of this time traveling thing since it affects everything and everyone involved.  Is this why she was smuggled and uploaded illegally through this wormhole?  How time traveling became a tool and a market for financial gain?  The beings living among us - are they like time traveler police?  LOL

So many questions. Intriguing but if done right, could be entertaining.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Blob 2

SISYPHUS PHOTO

[2회] 남은 로또번호는 보답☆ 태술을 만나기 위해 부산으로 떠나는 서해!

2021-02-19 PM 3:41:24

Sisyphus: the myth
SISYPHUS PHOTO
[Episode 2] The remaining lotto numbers are rewarded☆ Seohae leaves for Busan to meet Taesul!
2021-02-19 PM 3:41:24

Imagen

20210219_154106_6763.jpg

Imagen

https://mtv.jtbc.joins.com/photo/pr10011273/pm10061799/detail/18073

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

But @wenchanteur when you look at that scene, air is blowing into the cabin.  Nothing is getting sucked out.  When that hole was created, everything should’ve just gushed out exactly what you are describing now with the fix.  

1 hour ago, wenchanteur said:

Air is sucked in from the inside to the outside. Therefore, the plate used to seal the breach will automatically stick itself on it. All that remains to be done is to ensure its stability with tape and to tape the leaks on the sides of the plate. What we see in the drama.

This drama is pre-produced. So if the writer had all that time, they should’ve gotten details like that correct.  Especially if they are trying to sell us the idea that TaeSul is some MacGyver like character and knows his science.  So if you want me to believe that he knows his stuff, then make sure all the details about the stuff happening around him are scientifically verifiable.  I don’t expect them to get everything right but details like this is just careless.  

But so far I am willing to overlook these details because what’s keeping me interested is how they are going to spin the whole time travel story.  Is it parallel universes?  Does he have a doppelgänger in another time line who married SeoHae?  Are those times where SeoHae fizzes indicating the birth of a different timeline?  Is that why all of them are tagged with a serial number?  So they can keep track of which SeoHae she is?  She’s obviously releasing a lot of radioactivity and that’s how the Control Bureau tracks her and anyone who has traveled back from the future.  I am assuming it’s post apocalyptic and there are high levels of radiation in their world, so they send people back to a pre apocalyptic world.  And the Control Bureau is actually controlling these “illegal immigrants” from the future.  

• Like 3
  • Blob 3

Blockbuster TV series 'Sisyphus: The Myth' off to a good start
Posted : 2021-02-18 15:01
Updated : 2021-02-18 17:09

By Lee Gyu-lee

Imagen

JTBC's new series "Sisyphus: The Myth" scored a 5.6 percent viewership rating, Wednesday. Courtesy of JTBC

JTBC's new big-budget series "Sisyphus: The Myth" got off to a good start Wednesday with a 5.6 percent viewership rating.

The mystery fantasy series revolves around a genius engineer named Han Tae-sul (Cho Seung-woo) who runs a world-class business called Quantum and Time Company. Despite his success, Han suffers trauma from his brother's death 10 years ago.

One day, he meets a woman from the future named Gang Seo-hae (Park Shin-hye) who seems to hold the key to his brother's death, introducing him to dangerous secrets of the world.

The first episode shows Tae-sul becoming a hero after he saves airplane passengers by putting his genius mind to work to prevent a crash. Meanwhile, Seo-hae, who lives in a war-torn century in the future, travels to the current year with a warning from her father not to meet Tae-sul.

A scene from the series / Courtesy of JTBC

JTBC has high hopes for the series, which is the network's 10th-anniversary project with a production budget of over 20 billion won ($18 million).

Cho said he was excited to star in the series and praised the storyline. "When I picked up the script, I went through six episodes. I remember being so immersed in the story," he said during an online media conference, Wednesday. "The concept that the future and present coexist felt really interesting."

The series' director, Jin Hyuk, known for the hit series "Master's Sun," noted his latest work started with the question "how would people respond to a disaster or tragedy?"

"When I first started the project four years ago, some people were saying how there could be a war (in Korea). And I was surprised to see how people outside the country didn't react much while Koreans could have been in imminent danger," he said. "(The genre) is science fiction so it is a fantasy, but it's also based on reality," he said.

"Sisyphus: The Myth" airs every Wednesday and Thursday at 9 p.m. and is available on Netflix.

cr. https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/art/2021/02/688_304243.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wiggle 1
  • Blob 2

38 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

So many questions. Intriguing but if done right, could be entertaining

I will wait till ep 6 to make any more theories. By then we should have gotten a fair amount of information to see whether it will be a multiverse or single timeline

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

40 minutes ago, nrllee said:

But @wenchanteur when you look at that scene, air is blowing into the cabin.  Nothing is getting sucked out.  When that hole was created, everything should’ve just gushed out exactly what you are describing now with the fix.  

This drama is pre-produced. So if the writer had all that time, they should’ve gotten details like that correct.  Especially if they are trying to sell us the idea that TaeSul is some MacGyver like character and knows his science.  So if you want me to believe that he knows his stuff, then make sure all the details about the stuff happening around him are scientifically verifiable.  I don’t expect them to get everything right but details like this is just careless.  

Is it parallel universes?  Does he have a doppelgänger in another time line who married SeoHae?  

Please... NO doopleganger! :(

It could still happens if someone encounter his younger self (if it's possible, it depends on how work time travel here).

At most, in the cabin, we see wind and paper in the wind. It's maybe more a directing stuff.

I watched BTS of the scene, and it look very difficult to masterize air draught here.

What can you do but put a fan ?

I made errors last time I described action scene on the roof on packmule blog.

In fact, it's explainable why Control bureau team don't rush heroin or shoot directly. They don't want to kill her. So what I thinked was weird in the scene maybe wasnt.

I will rewatch the episodes, and for this time, not because I need too, but also, because it's enjoying.

Only thing that bother me now is this drone during scene #2.

Except the drone is a friend of Seo Hae, it's to weird it suddenly not here when she's on the roof.

But the drone don't look a friend, she look worried when she look at it first.

And all is made to think it's organization drone (probably control bureau).

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

The plane crash is pivotal in the plot.  It forced Tae Sul to reexamine his own guilt over Tae San's death and deal with his emotions honestly instead of just covering the pain with medications or simply denying them.

Yes, it trigger many things, it's impossible to do without that. It trigger also Seo Hae watching TV, learn about the crash and Tae Seul on board, then her quantum sizzle, then probably why she want find him, even if her father say don't.

• Like 5
  • Blob 1

Looking back at episode 1 (first scene) and relating it to the Control Office dialogues, it gives me the following plot:
- The Bureau of Control really deals with immigration. But not immigration from one place to another, but from one time to another.
- The people we see in the first scene come from a devastated and radioactive future. They themselves are carriers of radioactivity. This is how they are detected by the controllers.
- These people have a suitcase that can withstand time travel, and they are allowed some personal belongings (but no animals).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

Imagen

Imagen

Spoiler

Imagen

CAPTION

예, 안 봐드립니다. 평범한 1대1은 사양하고요. 동시간대로 우르르 혹은 사람 말고 괴물 정도는 제압해야 요즘 여주 클라쓰. 여러분의 액션 워너비는 누구인가요?

#시지프스_TheMyth #올드가드 #스위트홈 #더킹_영원의군주 #경이로운소문 #Sisyphus #TheOldGuard #넷플릭스 #Netflix

cr:  https://instagram.com/p/CLdoQBpnqV1/?igshid=1s1mqics4nwpp

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

I don't understand why the Control Bureau people had to wear masks when entering the Guy's apartment to confront her. Though they do deal with immigrants - from another world/time. 

The connection with the luggages is not yet known, though it is a mystery how Tae Sul was found, when he was nowhere near the luggage at the place they found him in. They know a lot about him, to the point that they can ruin him and his company. As they say, they are watching him. The moment he makes contact with her then, technically should be the point where they confront him again. They are interested in her, the "immigrant", as they show him a photo of her of the CCTV of the restaurant. Weird that they know who she is, but had to rely on such bad photo, although Tae Sul still recognises her from the strange photo.

I'm so happy the adorable bodyguard didn't die. Apparently they only kill off those who had contact with her directly. However the Guy still lives, and restaurant owner actually never touched her nor had seen her, and yet they killed him. 

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2
  • Blob 1