[Drama 2020] The World of Husband and Wife/The World of the Married, 부부의 세계

larus

Till the end, this drama was so realistic. Important messages : if you love someone, do not cheat on them (consequences are huge and hurtful), women can live by their own without men and children are the most precious. You have to cherish the people which you really care for and not lose their trust. PDnim and Writernim gave us a happy ending. Sun Woo reunited with his son, the only one who matters. She reflected on her mistakes and can now forgive herself. This drama will stay in my heart...

I am really happy for the ratings, TWOTM truly deserves it. It would be hard to beat it soon. Hopefully, the cast and the crew will take home all the awards. Specially, Kim Hee Ae has to win Daesangs for her amazing acting. I felt like I was in her shoes, I was angry, sad and wanted revenge ! So I will give her my "special compliment"

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Did JH really cheat a second time after they remarried? What i got from that scene when YR was crying after looking thru JH phone was not because she found out he cheated but because she was sad she still felt that distrust for him. I can understand her feeling that she will forever be looking over her shoulder. 

I understood the same from that scene as well... YR gave the relationship another chance, cause deep down she realized that she still loved JH... so hence their decision to get married again... but that night she cried because she realized that although her love for JH still lingers.. it still cannot make her overcome her anxiety and lost of trust due to his past behavior... that was when she decided that its time to move on....

Congrats to the show for having the highest ratings on the finale... a well deserved accolade.... once again KHA was superb on the finale.. especially the scene where she was talking to TO on the phone after he took JY away... definitely is a shoo-in for Daesang... director-nim Mo Wan-il i think also has a high chance for a baeksang come June.... the only thing i felt a bit sad about is the Writer-nim not being nominated for the best screenplay category due to this being a remake... Yes, the general story is done based on Dr Foster... but I really admire the fine details that was put into the script to evoke the emotions they want to portray in the story..... excellent writing combined with superb acting makes this show what is today... kudos to everyone involved with the show...

Wow... what a journey it has been for the last 2 months... sure was a hell of a 16 episodes ride..... :w00t:

3 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

Did JH really cheat a second time after they remarried? What i got from that scene when YR was crying after looking thru JH phone was not because she found out he cheated but because she was sad she still felt that distrust for him. I can understand her feeling that she will forever be looking over her shoulder. 

Yes! I also saw YR is still trapped inside insecurity. She's afraid she will keep thinking about JH having affairs behind her. Those insecure feelings tortures her and she is sure it will also tortures their relationship. So even though JH doesn't have affair anymore, YR will keep getting suspicious. That's why she decided that they can't be together.

“The World Of The Married” Ends By Smashing Its Own Record For Highest Drama Ratings In Cable TV History

“The World Of The Married” Ends By Smashing Its Own Record For Highest Drama Ratings In Cable TV History

May 17, 2020
by E. Cha

JTBC’s “The World of the Married” has gone out with a bang!

On May 16, the series finale of the wildly popular drama made history by setting a new record for the highest viewership ratings ever achieved by any drama on a Korean cable network.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “The World of the Married” scored an average nationwide rating of 28.37 percent, easily beating its own record of 24.44 percent from the night before.

“The World of the Married” was a hit from the start, immediately setting a JTBC ratings record with its premiere right out of the gate. However, things only got better from there: the drama saw its viewership soar over the course of its 16-episode run, with its ratings climbing to new heights with nearly every new episode. By its 12th episode, the drama succeeded in dethroning the smash hit “SKY Castle,” which held the previous record for the highest drama ratings in cable network history.

Congratulations to the cast and crew of “The World of the Married” on their impressive achievement!

Did you tune in to the finale of “The World of the Married”? What did you think of the ending? Share your thoughts with us in the comments below!

Source (1)https://www.soompi.com/article/1400807wpp/the-world-of-the-married-ends-by-smashing-its-own-record-for-highest-drama-ratings-in-cable-tv-history:thumbsup::heart:

I'm very proud of the entire cast and crew and really enjoyed this show. I love that they were allowed to write realistic adults with flaws and showed us a real story that MANY can relate to. I hope cable networks continue to go in this direction with their K-dramas as i would love to see more of these stories, based on what is happening in society over there.

I just wish SW was allowed to end up with the doctor at least. I dont understand why she must remain a single mom. Many women remarry and find happiness again. Her son is growing up and eventually will leave her to go to college so she was going to lose him a little bit anyway. She cannot replace her love life with her son.

TO is a deeply troubled man and i wish they allowed him more redemption. Allowed him to seek help and admit where he went wrong in his life. He is a cheater but he didnt kill anyone. I think he was just a mama's boy and growing up without a father made him rely on women a lot, first his mom, then SW and then DK and her family. He never learned to live with himself and fight for himself so he held on to women. In the end he could have found another woman but moving on from SW and JY i think it's something he cannot do, no matter how much he messed up, he loved them in his own way and they were his real obsession. If they ended the show with them getting family therapy after SW took TO back, i would have been okay with it. I dont believe life is black and white and all men must be put in the same basket. Some men do repent and learn their lesson.

My thoughts after the finale:

I think the line that made the biggest impression for me is when Chairman Choi's wife said to Sun-Woo after she returned to Gosan: "Congratulations, but when your actions are so severe, it tends to leave behind wounds." (paraphrased from memory)

Sun-Woo's actions towards Tae-Oh were severe, and there was a cost to everything.

(1) Make Tae-Oh believe that she killed Joon-Yeong, and provoke him to violently attack her. Gets custody, restraining order, and all her assets in the divorce.

Result: Obsession, stalking, harassment, eventually someone ends up dying and SW loses JY and her job. Her suicide attempt.

(2) Use all her cunning and wiles to make sure Da-Gyeong is thoroughly disgusted with TO, gets Chairman Yeo to completely dismantle TO's life. Family and company lost in one blow.

Result: TO brought to his knees once and for all. His suicide attempt. JY is so appalled by both his parents that he literally runs away from them, never to return.

I'm not saying Sun-Woo had no reason to become furious. She found out he was cheating, *all* their mutual friends knew, and his mistress deliberately shows up in her office to rub her pregnancy right in her face. Then she finds out he's been messing with her money behind her back. In order to make sure she gets custody and keep her money, what she did worked.

And we cheered when she very effectively won against him. It was satisfying to see her schemes succeed, and to see everyone turn against TO and everything ripped away from him. But there was always blowback to this "scorched earth" response.

This really is the story of "Medea." Medea killed her own children out of anger when Jason betrayed her and ran off with another woman. She got her revenge, but she suffered loss, too.

JY was sacrificed because of his parents viciously fighting with each other. I think it's important to remember that JY's rejection is ultimately what propels both SW and TO to the brink of suicide. Well, he's finally rejected both of his parents, and losing him is probably the worst pain for both of them. I mean, I can't even imagine Sun-Woo's hellish existence, looking for JY for a year and not knowing where he is, or if he's even alive. What torture.

--

As far as whether JY truly returned at the end, I don't know what really happened, but I think it was deliberately left ambiguous. They made it seem like it could be a fantasy, but those who wanted to believe that he returned could believe that as well.

Spoiler

Apparently, in "Dr. Foster," the son remained missing. (based on Wikipedia's summary)

--

I'm glad Ye-Rim had a happy ending. She made the right choice which is to say "Bye," move on, and live her best life. She tried to save this marriage and give it another chance, but she was right to walk away. The damage he did was too great to overcome. But instead of wallowing in bitterness, she chose to remove herself from the situation, and she is better for it.

And I feel that that's the theme of this show. The damage that people do to each other. The damage that Je-Hyeok did to their marriage was too much for Ye-Rim to overcome. The damage that Sun-Woo and Tae-Oh did to each other was too great for either of them to overcome, and their son was the collateral damage.

Maybe the show should be called "Damages!" :D (There is an American TV Show called "Damages," actually.) That's a joke, of course. I think "World of the Married Couple" is an apt title, because it shows how you can be yoked to your spouse forever, not just because of the child you share, but because of all the emotions you share together, from deep love to deep hatred. (But if the show was called, "Hot Mess," that would fit, too.)

I suppose I should point out the obvious fact that Tae-Oh is the scum who is the catalyst of all this damage by betraying his wife. (It really was funny when he was drinking and talking to himself about what a scumbag he is and how he made so many people suffer.) Life sometimes deals you lemons, and you end up marrying a lying, cheating jerk. How you choose to deal with it is... I don't know, I guess that's something to think about.

Ultimately, I can't blame Sun-Woo for her "hell hath no fury" response. I'm not sure she had a lot of choices, based on how dirty TO was willing to fight and how obsessed and crazy he became. But still, there are always consequences to what you choose to do and her actions did escalate the hostility between them. I guess the saying that would apply here is, "Revenge is sweet, but the aftertaste is bitter." Or something like that. Meticulously planned revenge is fun for the audience to see, but it really hurts both of them. I think what also applies here is, "Revenge is a life well-lived."

I guess my final comment is that I was thoroughly entertained every minute. It was a great story with great actors, great directing, production design - I mean, everything was fantastic.

But it certainly wasn't a happy story, that's for sure. The ending emotion I feel is just nihilism, "Wow, people suck." :lol: Nothing wrong with that, because this is a TV show that was created to entertain, and it achieved that. But it does remind me how almost every K-drama I've ever watched always end on a life-affirming, positive note, no matter how grim the story is.

As much as I enjoyed this, I really will have to watch something lovely, happy, or funny after this to wash my brain.

(Thanks to everyone for the great discussion and insights. It's always more fun!)

@chickfactor I like the way you used the military strategy term "scorched earth" effect, it did destroy everything that TO possessed it. It was a sad story and also BIG lesson learnt for both of them. :)

People like to see what they want to see very much dependent at the state of their mindset at that point of time. The son remained missing at the end in UK version, while I liked the korean version that the son's return because it gave hope to the mother. Some may claim it was a fantasy, but I personally prefer life should come with hope, even when we are at the lowest point of our life. Everything is possible, when we have this mindset, we will never lose infinite hope. :D

@larus I keep seeing people talk about the female lead, Kim Hee Ae but they have forgotten her important co-partner, Park Hae Joon. A good opponent can increase the acting talent of the actor. Without he/she, they may not able to play well the role, it is the synergy effort, and a team work too. I really hope that the audience can notice his previous works (mostly were supporting roles). He is a versatile actor, he can really play well in an evil role so much so that people were amazed by his acting skill.  I remember i read somewhere that one korean female fan was very upset with Park HJ's role in TWOM drama and she decided to go over to the shooting place of TWOM to "slap" him personally because of his "jerk" role, but when she reached there, she was amazed by his handsome look and warmth smile, instead of "slap him", she asked whether she could be his "4th" mistress...:w00t::lol:. I am not sure if this is a made-up story, but if it's true, i can imagine that female fan was crazy over his handsome look. That was really funny. :lol::D

I thought the conclusion deserved a 9/10. Way better than most k-drama endings.

Although I wished they show a bit more about JY - at least a text message telling his parents his staying away from them - in the end it is not his story after all.

I think YR had the best ending, if one can call it that. JH's redemption is a little too late as YR can no longer turn back into the wife she was previously. The moment when she tearfully admitted that, I think JH finally realised how his past actions had damaged their relationship. So if love means putting the one you love before you, that probably letting YR go is the best thing for YR.

JH is probably a better man now. He would probably remember YR as the one that was not meant to be and hopefully learnt his lesson while building his new relationship.

DK also received a good conclusion. She is still young and it is nice to see her life back on track. I'm pretty sure she is being more cautious in the romantic department these days.

TO oh TO... the balls that he have to suggest that they forgive and forget... After JY went missing we weren't really shown whether he genuinely regretted his past deeds. So if his attitude stands, that was a reasonable ending for him. All alone.

Now SW. I don't get it when she said "Everything that I held on to is useless". And I pretty much don't get her monologue in the final minutes about forgiveness, arrogance etc. I don't know if the translation was lost or anything but surely she'd regret stuff that hurt JY, right? It was too weird... Was JY with the runaway kids organisation? I would have ended the drama with SW still waiting for JY.

“The World Of The Married” Cast Thanks Viewers For The Drama’s Success In Final Remarks

May 18, 2020
by S. Park
9baa5170abc94450b8cbaea362e41b09.jpeg?s=

The cast of “The World of the Married” shared their final thoughts as they wrapped up filming!

On May 16, the JTBC drama aired its final episode and set a new record for the highest viewership ratings ever achieved by any drama on a Korean cable network.

In newly released behind-the-scenes videos, the actors talked about concluding their time on the hit series.

Han So Hee said, “While I do feel a bit as if a weight has been lifted now that the drama has ended, I also feel that much sadder. I was lacking in many ways, so I have mixed emotions. Thank you to the many people who laughed and cried together with me, and I’ll become an actress who improves and learns more in the future. Thank you so, so much.”

Han-So-Hee1.jpg

Park Hae Joon commented, “Hello, this is Park Hae Joon who portrayed Lee Tae Oh in ‘The World of the Married.’ I didn’t expect to recieve this much interest, so I was really surprised. I feel so relieved that the viewers enjoyed it so much. We worked so hard, and honestly, I feel sad now that it’s coming to an end. I hope you’ll continue to take an interest in the actors who participated in this drama. Thank you.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1400945wpp/the-world-of-the-married-cast-thanks-viewers-for-the-dramas-success-in-final-remarks

26 May 17, 2020

A Couple’s World: Episodes 15-16 Open Thread (Final)

by missvictrix

CW1516_1.jpg

We’ve reached the conclusion of our tale, and it sure is an intense one! Our heroine embarks on her final battle, but learns that victory might not look like she thought. A Couple’s World pulls all the stops this week, and it’s a pretty remarkable tale of choices, actions, and consequences.

EPISODES 15-16 WEECAP

more http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/05/a-couples-world-episodes-15-16-open-thread-final/

photo1156353.jpg

I watched the original BBC drama "Dr. Foster" and somehow, I like the Korean version "The World of the Married."  I was not so invested in Dr. Foster and did not care much about the characters (except for the son).  Maybe I'm biased because I'm Asian but I find TWOFTM more relatable.  

Some of my thoughts about the drama:

- I don't think Tae Oh ever intended to leave his wife and end the marriage.  It was clear from that steamy, passionate lovemaking with Sun Woo in the first episode that, in spite of the fact that he was a narcissistic con man,  he loved her and was quite happy and contended in the marriage.  What he wanted was just an affair that quickly escalated into a dire situation when his lover, Da Kyung got pregnant.  

-  Sun Woo's determination to have custody of her son at all costs did more damage than the break-up of her marriage.  She staged her own physical abuse at the hands of Tae Ho (making him think that Joon Young's dead).  To intentionally have her son witness his father beating her to a bloody pulp, was her undoing.   This was a traumatic experience for JY and the consequences were incalculable.  JY dropped hints; speaking of his friend's parents' divorce on different occasions but SW was so blinded by her own rage, she did not see the signs.  The best thing that she should have done was sit down with JY, explain what's happening between her and his father, and let him make up his own mind.  

- TO is the type of man who used the vulnerability of women to his advantage.  He lived off SW, using her money to finance his "business" and he did the same with DK.  His weakness was SW.  He had a dark obsession with SW and after their divorce, he must have relived his moments with her through DK.  After two years abroad, he brought his new family back to the same town where he lived with SW and their son, sent invitations to his son and their mutual friends all geared to catch SW's attention.  He stalked SW and even went to the extent of walking around SW's house when she's not around.  He did love his son but what is galling is that he used JH as a pawn to get back at SW.

- for me, the most compelling part of this drama was in episode 15 when SW showed DK TO's true nature.  DK, true to her self-centred, selfish nature, confronted SW to stay away from her family and threatened to sue her for adultery.  This coming from a woman who destroyed SW's family.  SW revealed TO's obsession with her, from playing the Sting song he used to proposed to SW that he also used to propose to DK, the exact words he used to propose, to giving DK the same lingerie, perfume and clothes he bought SW during their marriage.  For a woman scorned, SW went above and beyond to save another woman from the clutches of a user like TO, even if she was a rival.  She did not want DK to be another victim and her most poignant words were, "It may be your last chance to escape."  It is ironical that the best advise DK received was from the very woman she betrayed.  

Congratulations to Kim Hee Ae and Park Hae Joon for their outstanding performance.  As for Han So Hee, this young lady has a very bright future ahead of her after her compelling portrayal as the other woman and later wife of TO.

A few thoughts on TWOTM

WOW! This was quite the ride. My respect for Kim Hee Ae as an actress just exploded. I adored her in Love Affair, but she was perfection in this role.

MS - I like the idea of the writer portraying that a single woman can hold a high position and do well professionally. However, as a person, she was horrible. She constantly back-stabbed SW and she was two-faced from the very start. She wanted to be taken serious as a woman despite her single status, yet she had no problem helping TO deceive SW throughout the drama. She gets a side-eye.

YR - I find whenever there is a story arch of a woman being cheated on, women are always expected to cry, scream and get angry but still forgive and keep the cheater. Especially when money and status is involved. YR was still young, attractive and has a good portion of her life still in front of her, but she was expected to continue to suffer in silence. This is why she was having issues conceiving. She was under an enormous amount of stress that made her wildly unhappy, but the illusion of what she wanted was supposed to be enough. So glad to see her be brave and not care what society thinks and go off and be happy on her own.

Chairwoman Choi - Her words to SW about her actions creating so many wounds in my opinion echo the old adage of women and self-sacrifice. Again, suffer quietly, smile, keep up appearances and then everyone will be happy. The chairwoman always gave me the impression that she was always right on the line of almost losing it. When she first encountered SW and was diagnosed with the STD's, she practically ordered SW to tell her that it was because of contact at a spa or gym. SW represents the courage women in her generation just don't have. They have been too indoctrinated.

DY - I can never find it in my heart to sympathize with "the other woman". I knew when DK latched on to TO after SW left him. A man with no money, no real plans, no connections or social circle and she chose to have his baby and get married to him. She chose to settle, and from the beginning she was insecure with them returning to Gosun after what happened.  In the end, her cheater cheated again. He kept secrets from her and she spent what should've been her honeymoon period, completely stressed and unhappy. Everyone pretended that TO was smart and accomplished. His father-in-law bankrolled a movie and invested in it to ensure its success and that was how TO succeeded. It still wasn't from him own doing.

JY - I agree he was caught in the middle of his parents, but JY was the product of what you see in a LOT of families. He was being coddled, loved, protected and given everything. He was NOT being raised. JY lacked basic respect and understanding for someone his age and that is his parent's fault. You do not reward kids for being awful to people and disrespectful to adults. I had many friends whose parent's divorced and they weren't delinquents and disrespectful like he was. JY even had the luxury of therapy. He wanted to continue to be spoiled and felt like he couldn't get that with TO and DY because kids knew how they ended up together. Then SW was out her fighting and causing scenes all of the over place which embarrassed him which caused him to eventually run away. Divorce is hard on children, but if you instill in them love, understanding and good communication, they can get through it well. I don't believe two people who hate each other should stay together for the sake of a child. That sends out the wrong message. Had TO and SW acted maturely and worked together, JY would've handled this significantly better.

SW and TO - You knew TO was going to fall. When he blew back into town married to his mistress and all seemed forgotten because he now had money, you could just feel it, he was going to mess it up. TO's problem is he was insecure and had an inferiority complex. Yet, he stayed being attracted to successful women. His inability to stand on his own two feet and remain loyal to women he was incredibly lucky to get with was fascinating to watch. His issues clearly stemmed from way before SW came along. I think it was in the first episode, we learn he has some daddy issues, and his mother clearly coddled him instead of raising him so the cycle begins there. He was never going to have a happy ending because the self sabotage was inevitable. SW was also fascinating. She was brilliant, hard-working, dedicated as a mom and honest as a doctor. Yet, she had a fiery temper and often would settle scores at the behest of being the talk of the town. She didn't apply strategy to how she handled things. She was a reactor. He reacting was often desperate and explosive, which is how she ended up suffering. I feel like the writer wanted to show SW was both a stereotypical woman (emotional; reactive) and a cunning almost male-like character who can seduce a man to get back at her husband or strategically choose to help her ex-husband so that he son doesn't have to be the son of a murderer. 

Great drama, impeccable writing, phenomenal acting. I enjoyed this! 

The World of the Married | Series Review

So much had been said about this widely popular K-drama. It broke records after records. Some even expected Kim Hee-ae to win the Daesang. But what really made The World of the Married super popular in South Korea and among international Korean drama fans? The craze even transformed non-believers into K-drama fanatics. When the K-drama universe was restlessly anticipating the comeback of the much-loved Hallyu stars Lee Min-ho and Kim Go-eun through The King: Eternal Monarch, this jtbc remake just smashed those high expectations and slowly climbed its way up the ranks as the most-watched Korean drama in cable history.

Kim Hee-ae appeared as the respected Dr. Ji Sun-woo, a loving wife, mother, and career woman. Her world took a severe downturn after she discovered her husband’s cheating fiasco. To make matters worse, all the people surrounding her knew about it – neighbors, workmates, friends, and heck, even her mother-in-law. But what made this drama, which revolved around adultery, different from other series with the same premise? I could only think of one reason: the aftermath of the separation to the couple’s child.

From my point of view, The World of the Married was divided into two seasons: episodes 1-6 were the most thrilling parts. It was what lured the Internet world to tune into the series diligently. Honestly, the first six episodes focused on Lee Tae-oh’s (Park Hae-joon) cheating bonanza with his much younger (very predictable) girlfriend Yeo Da-kyung (Han So-hee). It was satisfying to see them hit rock bottom and leave town, with our heroine being able to keep herself intact despite everything.

But for those of us who were not able to watch the original material, the British series Dr. Foster, we were stunned when Episode 7 (or for me, Season Two) introduced us to a more established Tae-oh and a much wiser Da-kyung. The hooligans were able to bounce back from dirt and returned to their hometown of Gosan to wreak havoc into Sun-woo’s life!

Full review: https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/05/20/the-world-of-the-married-series-review/

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2020/05/20/television/The-World-of-the-Married-JTBC-drama/20200520180500240.html

Lee Mu-saeng is the perfect right-hand man

May 20, 2020

Lee Mu-saeng, who plays Kim Yoon-ki in the hit JTBC drama series "The World of the Married" poses at a cafe in Gangnam District, southern Seoul, on May 18, before meeting with the press. [NEWS1]
Lee Mu-saeng, who plays Kim Yoon-ki in the hit JTBC drama series "The World of the Married" poses at a cafe in Gangnam District, southern Seoul, on May 18, before meeting with the press. [NEWS1]

Fans of ‘The World of the Married’ rallied around his ‘brand name quality’ role

As the story evolves on JTBC drama series “The World of the Married,” so does the role of Lee Mu-saeng, who plays a colleague and a friend to the protagonist Ji Sun-woo played by Kim Hee-ae. Sometimes Lee’s character, Kim Yoon-ki, is Ji’s only friend as she carefully executes her plan to get back at her husband for being in an extramarital relationship.

“Because my role was created for the Korean remake [of the BBC series “Doctor Foster”], I stuck with my lines and what the writers and directors wanted from my role,” Lee told JTBC, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, shortly after the conclusion of the series on May 16. “I researched a lot about neuropsychiatrists because that was the role that I would play.”  

Kim was a character created for the Korean remake of the BBC original, but some settings were kept in the transition, such as the love story between Ji and Kim. In the BBC original, Gemma, the protagonist, has a thing with James Mahon, a school teacher who has an interest in Gemma.  

And an added setting in the Korean remake version complicates Lee’s role. Kim works at the same hospital as Ji, and for several episodes, appears to have an ulterior motive behind his friendliness toward Ji. 

Lee Mu-saeng, left, plays Kim Yoon-ki, the colleague of protagonist Ji Sun-woo, right, in the hit JTBC drama series ’The World of the Married.“ [JTBC]
Lee Mu-saeng, left, plays Kim Yoon-ki, the colleague of protagonist Ji Sun-woo, right, in the hit JTBC drama series ’The World of the Married.“ [JTBC]

In the end, Kim keeps his interest in Ji to himself, rooting for her from behind the scenes. Some viewers of the series and netizens gave him the nickname, “Lee Mu-saeng-Laurent,” a portmanteau of his name with the name of the French designer Yves Saint-Laurent.    

“He’s the only character in the series that has a brand-name quality personality,” one user posted on Twitter on May 11, explaining why Lee deserves the nickname.  

Lee didn’t expect to finish the series with a nickname.  

“I want to find out who came up with the name so I can thank them in person,” he said. “It does flow well, if that is important. […] I heard that the scenes [where I was involved] provide a bit of respite from all the drama that was going on in the plot. I was happy and thankful to have played such a role.”  

Although Kim wasn’t a knight in shining armor ready to rescue Ji, he remains a steady friend by her side when things get rough between Ji and her husband, played by Park Hae-joon.  

“When Park was around, the set became more energetic,” Lee said. “He was ‘the bad guy’ whenever the cameras rolled, but a completely fun person to be around when they were off.”  

Lee, 40, is married and has two children.    

“I think the high ratings show that the drama conveyed a story about families that people could connect with,” he said. “The role gave me a lot to think about — about what it means to love and live.”  

The series concluded on May 16 with record-high ratings for the channel, reaching nearly 28.4 percent. It became the highest-rated Korean cable drama series in history, surpassing a record set by the channel’s drama series “SKY Castle” last year.    

Lee said he is looking forward to more acting roles in the future.    

“I personally thought the ending of the series gave a hopeful message,” he said. “Since the series did so well, maybe that will mean more opportunities for the actors on the show in the future. That’s something to look forward to.”  

Lee debuted in 2006 in the comedy-action film, “See You After School” and appeared on the popular MBC series “Behind the White Tower” in 2007. He has taken on a variety of roles in action movies like “Running Turtle” (2009) and “Fabricated City” (2017) and darker films such as “Unalterable” (2019).    

BY HWANG SO-YOUNG   [chung.juhee@joongang.co.kr] 

——

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com//2020/05/18/television/married-talk-drama-series//20200518191400171.html

'Married' cast to return for a two-night special on JTBC

May 18, 2020

JTBC drama series "The World of the Married" wrapped up its 16-episode run with a nearly 28.4 percent viewership rating and became the most-watched cable drama series in Korean history. [JTBC]
JTBC drama series "The World of the Married" wrapped up its 16-episode run with a nearly 28.4 percent viewership rating and became the most-watched cable drama series in Korean history. [JTBC]

Cable channel JTBC will air special episodes for fans of the megahit drama series "The World of the Married" on May 22 and 23.    

The series had record-high ratings for the cable channel, reaching nearly 28.4 percent, and became the highest-rated Korean cable drama series in history, surpassing a record set by the channel's drama series “SKY Castle” last year.    

The two night special will consist of clips from interviews with the show's lead actors Kim Hee-ae, Park Hae-joon, Han So-hee, Kim Young-min, Park Sun-young, Lee Mu-saeng and more. The cast will talk about their characters and pick out their favorite scenes from the series.    

Beginning May 29, the BBC drama series from which the Korean drama was adapted, “Doctor Foster,” will air on JTBC at 11 p.m. The two seasons consist of a total of 10 episodes.

BY LEE JAE-LIM   [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]  

17 hours ago, BLurBLur said:

I saw the special episode is available on VIU... does anyone know if they sub the special episode?

I found the sub but i do not have the raw from VIU :(

Ratings of Special episode 1 :

Nationwide : 3,90 %

Seoul : 4,78 %

Edit => Ratings of Special episode 2 :

Nationwide : 4,29 %

Seoul : 4,53 %

Archived