[Drama 2020] The World of Husband and Wife/The World of the Married, 부부의 세계

larus

I just finished episode 14 and indeed this episode really explain why the ratings are so high. The way this writer is so skillful with this plot. Just when you think you know something and understand where this is going, then you are introduced to another disturbing twist and turn. I also love the way she takes such impossible situations but manage to make them rational somehow, as twisted as they appear to be these characters are actually really complex and none of them are really evil, a bit ignorant somehow but i end up understanding why they are acting a certain way.

As crazy as it sounds, i actually believe TO loved both ladies in different ways. I think his love for SW was a bit obsessive and it became toxic so he thought he needed DK to balance it out for himself or whatever that means and when things turned really ugly with SW, he held on to DK as redemption because SW left him no way back in. Then when he came back determined to get revenge on SW for tricking him out of his son's life, he slowly realized he was not over her. Now he is stuck in a marriage with DK and a family that he probably doesnt feel as his real one but he cant let go of SW because this obsession for her is still there. The way he simply could not function anymore when it became clear that SW really left was defining. 

Now i have no idea how any of this will end. Only 2 episodes left. I dont think i've ever watched a similar show anywhere. Even if the whole thing is a remake, this all feels so refreshing and new. Kudos to this entire team.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Yes, it's a mind game, a strategic game, whoever can play well in this strategic move, she will win in that particular situation. Who knows, in the end, TO lost both women, both left him due to his indecisiveness. Women decide their own destiny. Like someone posted here showing his "monk" look, that was really funny, i like that :w00t::lol:

Wishing all chingus, whether you are singles or married with children -  a Happy Mother Day !!! ....:D

TO could end up alone in the end because both ladies will realize that they dont trust him and never will. They would be right. 

52 minutes ago, lebeaucouple said:

Yes, it's a mind game, a strategic game, whoever can play well in this strategic move, she will win in that particular situation. Who knows, in the end, TO lost both women, both left him due to his indecisiveness. Women decide their own destiny. There is no winner in this marriage, only the lawyer. Like someone posted here showing his "monk" look, that was really funny, i like that :w00t::lol:

Wishing all chingus, whether you are singles or married with children -  a Happy Mother Day !!! ....:D

I am actually glad that Da Kyung got the taste of her own medicine......once a cheater, always a cheater.....How does it feel?? Sun Woo was going to walk away till she started her richard simmons tirade and accusing her parental skills because she was taking her own son with her back to her own home. I believe she was gonna walk away quietly, she again tried to poke Sun Woo and she gave it back to her.

I cried with this episode, and I never cry with dramas... all of SW's scenes: from when she is constantly apologizing, to her thought that if she disappeared everyone would be better, then the sea... it really crushed me, that was very real, too much. This episode was truly cathartic.

And then, the last minutes I went from crying > being relieved > seething (ffff TO hitting JY & DK implying things!) > happy/delighted (serves her right!)

As I said, cathartic.

1 hour ago, Nymeria289 said:

I am actually glad that Da Kyung got the taste of her own medicine......once a cheater, always a cheater.....How does it feel?? Sun Woo was going to walk away till she started her richard simmons tirade and accusing her parental skills because she was taking her own son with her back to her own home. I believe she was gonna walk away quietly, she again tried to poke Sun Woo and she gave it back to her.

Yes. :wub:For today scene between these two women, DK lost in this battle, she was out of her mind because she had fear in losing control of the situation, she became obsessed. Both wanted to protect their own so called "perfect family", both are in obsession, including TO. Like what Old Dr Kim said,  obsession is poisoning, at least to the parents and child.

Love is a very simple word, the unlucky ones are still stuck in its complexities. By learning how to free ourselves and let it go, it is a condition of happiness. In real life, how many of us can practice the words of wisdom when we are involving in this entangled relationship? :)

Ahahah, guess it's now Da Kyung's turn to go loco next! (Claps hands in glee) And furthermore to rub it all in, her beloved hubby slept with his ex - WoW. Slow claps~ 

And it took one slap/punch (?) from dad to make Joon Young realise that mom is best geez. At this rate Joon Young is like a ball tossed back and forth between his parents LoL. He's bipolar alright. Kudos to Myung Sook for keepin' fort at the hospital. 

So glad that Yoon Gi found Sun Woo...her pain was so relatable in ep. 14. I'm so ready for this craziness to be over ahahah. With 2 ep. left it can go very badly or just tied up in a pretty bow with a time skip as is the case with majority of K-Dramas.  

JTBC PLUS | 2020. 05. 09.

"The World of the Married" continues conquering small screen with sky-high viewership ratings

F985F28E-CD9B-44A1-9298-A4881DBE9AC0.jpg

In the drama ''The World of the Married'', after losing everything, Kim Hee Ae finally faced and realized the earnest desire in her heart.

Episode 14 of the original Fri-Sat drama "The World of the Married" (JTBC Studio) airing on May 9 continues to get enthusiastic responses, and set a record with the highest rating of 26.8% in the metropolitan area and 24.3% nationwide (Nielsen Korea, the standard of households using the fee-paying platform). In this episode, despite being desperate, Kim Hee Ae (as Ji Sun Woo) starts to act calm as if nothing happened for the sake of her son Jeon Jin Seo (as Lee Joon Young). The relationship between Park Hae Joon (as Lee Tae Oh) and Han So Hee (as Yeo Da Kyung) after he fell into chaos, while she still stubbornly wants to preserve the family's happiness finally fell apart, thereby making viewers curious about the two's choices and ending.

Jeon Jin Seo's irreparable emotional wounds made Kim Hee Ae falter. The never-ending tangled relationship between her and her ex-husband made him feel burdensome and any consolation or excuse would become useless. Eventually, Kim Hee Ae determined to leave Gosan. Upon hearing this, Han So Hee soothed her insecurity and started to plan a happy life, "Everything is getting back on track. From now on, we'll be perfect." After departing Gosan, Kim Hee Ae went to senior Park Chung Sun (played by Ma Gang Seok), whom she can confide her heart to. For Kim Hee Ae, even trying to endure made her tired to exhaustion, “Every time I try to do something well, I will probably ruin them, won't I? From family, husband and children to everything. I have missed what I want to preserve.” Above all, what makes her suffer the most is Jeon Jin Seo's hurt and disgust for herself. She showed her weakness more than ever when saying, "As long as I disappear, everyone will feel more comfortable."

Kim Hee Ae fell into emptiness as if she had lost everything and acted like a dead man walking. After watching the sea, she started stepping toward the sea as if she was being led by something. Meanwhile, Park Hae Joon and Lee Moo Saeng (as Kim Yoon Gi) were searching for Kim Hee Ae after learning that she had disappeared. The person who woke up Kim Hee Ae's mind and is hiding everything is none other than Jeon Jin Seo. Jeon Jin Seo's resentful expression intertwined with the saying, "What kind of parents leave their children alone like that" has awakened her. Lee Moo Saeng spotted and rescued Kim Hee Ae when she was struggling due to the ocean waves. Afterward, Kim Hee Ae burst out crying and poured out her bottled-up emotions in his arms. Watching the scene from afar, Park Hae Joon left his chaotic mind behind and returned to Gosan.

On the other hand, Han So Hee invited congressman Cha and his wife to her house. Even after hearing Jeon Jin Seo's thoughts, “All I need is just apologize, right? What's the point of getting along with them?”, she kept trying to make a perfect family. She struggled to solidify her world, "Joon Young, from now on we will be a real family." However, the world that Han So Hee was forcibly holding began to break at the moment that she would never expect. When she heard Jenny cry, she suspected Jeon Jin Seo was the one who caused it and vented her anger on him. She bombarded Jeon Jin Seo with questions, "Isn't it time for you to adapt and accept your new family?" Jeon Jin Seo explained that he was innocent but she still slapped him, which shocked Park Hae Joon. Jeon Jin Seo revealed that he left Kim Hee Ae to live with Park Hae Joon because Han So Hee told him it was for his mother's happiness. However, when he was caught up in this situation, all anxiety and sadness came rushing in and he realized that the only person he could rely on was Kim Hee Ae. Right at that moment, Kim Hee Ae called and Jeon Jin Seo eventually burst into tears after enduring all these times, "Mom, I'm sorry but can you come and pick me up?"

Hearing Jeon Jin Seo's crying voice, Kim Hee Ae rushed out of the hospital and ran to Park Hee Joon's home. She was back on her feet with the determination to hold onto Jeon Jin Seo. Although Han So Hee tried to stop Kim Hee Ae, Jeon Jin Seo still hid behind her mom as if wanting to run away. Han Soo Hee's anxiety was seen through by Kim Hee Ae via the saying, "Your bigotry is ruining Joon Young." The only reason Han So Hee resolutely held on to Jeon Jin Seo is her wish to cling to Park Hae Joon, who was wavering, so that her perfect world wouldn't collapse. Kim Hee Ae still suppressed her insecurity to the end and said, "My marriage is different." Upon that, Kim Hee Ae gave her profound advice, "You know? Intimacy and urgency have no meaning at all. Marriage and husband or wife are not as great as you think, so there will be times it is wavering, overthrown and broken." She continued raining on Han So Hee's parade, "Lee Tae Oh and I slept together". This shocking saying affirmed the insecurities and doubts in Han So Hee's heart.

After losing everything, Kim Hee Ae - who was shaken to the core because of intertwined relationships and mixed feelings - suddenly woke up. She returned to Gosan in order not to regret it. Meanwhile, her rival Han So Hee was still struggling to build a perfect family. Han So Hee almost screamed, “How hard I have tried, how much effort have I put in, everything is about to be done. I can't let that woman ruin everything.” This thought was slowly destroying herself.

Kim Hee Ae, Park Hae Joon and Han So Hee once again have to be at a crossroads. She lost everything, but the person Kim Hee Ae wants to protect at all cost is Jeon Jin Seo. After realizing the futility of her stubbornness, she started to take action to protect Jeon Jin Seo - who returned to her while Park Hae Joon is still shaken exactly like two years ago. The world that Han So Hee struggled to keep has collapsed. Like Kim Hee Ae before, she is living in betrayal and suspicion.  The audience is paying attention to see how it ends after they make decisions.

Reporter Park Jung Sun  /park.jungsun@jtbc.co.kr
Everything Idol, Everyday Exclusive
https://vtoday.vlive.tv/home

What a great episode, one of my favorite ones ! The beach scene is the best scene for me by far. I really cried a river, this scene was so heartbreaking... With so many heavy moments, I had to make pause several times.

Hopefully, everything is going back to its place in final episodes. I am so relieved that Joon Young apologised, went back to Sun Woo who seems to be sane again. That's the power of unconditional love from a mother to her child. Sun Woo is on mode "badass mom". The last scene was epic with a crazy and insecure DK tasting her own medicine. It was so refreshing. I am pretty sure that SW won't get back with TO, she knows that he is a psycho, a selfish liar. She just has to go far away from Gosan with her son. Happy ending for Sun Woo please. 

6 hours ago, Nymeria289 said:

Yeah, I was just... :blink: when Da Kyeong started yelling at Joon Yeong, "you can't leave!" Uh... excuse me? A mother is taking her own child with her, and who is she to stop her? And he is a person with free will, he doesn't have to stay in your house of horrors.

*sigh* I don't know. This was just a great makjang mess of a show, but this episode was heavy and really made me feel stuff. I think even TO finally feels a little bad at what a mess he's made. And let's get this straight, this mess is HIS.

Mostly I just feel PISSED at how incredibly unfair this all is for Sun Woo. I mean, what did she ever do?

Her husband cheated on her and left her. She had to fight dirty to get custody of her child. She moved on ALREADY but TO and DK just have to move to Gosan of all the other places in the world and they mess with her child, and even her job, trying to take her child away and drive her out of town. And they almost succeeded.

I know everyone is saying that she should move away and move on, but I keep wondering, why should she? He's the psycho mess, he should leave.

3 hours ago, Latte_Anyday said:

And it took one slap/punch (?) from dad to make Joon Young realise that mom is best geez. At this rate Joon Young is like a ball tossed back and forth between his parents LoL. He's bipolar alright. Kudos to Myung Sook for keepin' fort at the hospital. 

Its more like, his mother knelt leaving her pride behind to protect him and he was wrong there. Here, the father knew his son was innocent but sided with his wife and hit him. It put things in perspective that his father can never truly be there for him or protect him. The mother he hates is truly there for him. Like I said, its easy watching tv and playing video game with your son when wife's out there earning money, keeping the family running. When he had to put in effort to do that, it wasn't easy. I liked how he ran like he was running from hell to his mother. Even Da Kyung's mom and dad looked horrified by Da Kyung's antics there and what she was doing to somebody else's son.

What gets me more than anything, is the fact Tae Oh has yet to own up to his mistakes y'know what I mean? @Nymeria289 Notice how he keep blaming Sun Woo, Joon Young for his faults? Heck even Da Kyung gets thrown under the bus as well! He's just such a cowardly loser but somehow the brunt of the guilt/shame is aimed more toward Sun Woo smh. 

For Da Kyung it's just karma babe LoL. Now she knows what it's like to be a homewrecker. Of course in her mind, Da Kyung may feel she's Joan of Arc or whatever LoL. Doin' good supposedly by alienating her stepson from his birth mom. What a joke.  

DK always twisted the reason for why JY decided to come and stay with his dad.  The day DK met JY and told him that he was the reason that his mother could not move on, he started acting out.  OTH is scum but he did not know what DK was doing behind his back.  

DK acting all nice while his mom knelt down to ask for forgiveness was humiliating for him and he was building up his anger.  DK did this methodically alienating him from his one support - his mom.  When his mom left town, she knew she had won.  Her inviting the Cha family and acting as if it is for the benefit of JY and emphasizing that they are one family was all her plan.  She probably talked to the care giver to do that so that she can cause a ruckus.  She came and started screaming right away.  So, it was all planned to push JY farther away and alienate him from his father too and send him far away so that she can have a marriage and her family.  This way, everyone in town would point fingers at JY and how abusive he was to a child.  What DK did not anticipate that lioness of the mother SW and how even when she was in a vulnerable physical condition, the cry from the child woke her up and plugged her phone  and called her son.  The minute he asked her to pick him up, she was running at the speed of the wind.  

All parenting and rule enforcing that DK did never worked in the end.  It was wonderful to see how she handled DK and the shock she delivered to her.  Absolutely loved it.  

many people commented that this drama going downhill since eps 6 and stop watching, esp since the story is becoming more different from dr.foster (I dont know for sure because I dont watch dr.foster) but I still enjoyed this drama and how they depict marriage world looks like. anyway eps 14 is contained onion btw, but I'm very happy to see the ending, although I'm heartbroken by how sun woo even she remembered how her mother died and have a thought about how joon young could be in her position, but she still wants to suicide, and how da kyung lose control and scold joon young (she judged that joon young is a troubled kid and accused him without asking the truth) and tae oh with the mind of kind of accusing joon young as the reason sun woo's suicide attempt, slap his kid.

Hi everyone! I have been a silent reader from this forum. And I really enjoued the discussion. Thanks to your interesting thoughts! 

I just want to share my thought from episode 15. I think TO slapped JY to make him go back with his mom. While he was also reminded of what SW said to him. Console him and so on and that was SW's only request. He just saw SW almost dying. He's probably thinking to let JY go back to SW so she has a will to live. And JY will be much okay if he stays with his mom. 

And I really like the beach scene. It made me tear up. I felt for SW. What a great actress KHA. :) 

I am also impressed by Kim Min Young's acting here. His expressions are on point. Sad, lustful. Hahaha I hope he wins the award. 

I am glad that Sun Woo is recovering after her crisis and that her son opened up to her and told her that he needs her.

I wanted to comment about one thing. What is wrong for people to raise other woman/man`s child? I wanted to shout this to Da Kyung`s mother. She was so annoying. To raise properly your own child is wonderful but people who adopt a child and give them love have all my respect. With people like Da kyung`s mother, no wonder  there was was a stigma surrounding adoption in South Korea, that some women would abandon a child to get married a second time or that couples will rather fake a pregnancy than recognize that they adopt a child.

27 minutes ago, Heliotrope Cha said:

I think TO slapped JY to make him go back with his mom. While he was also reminded of what SW said to him. Console him and so on and that was SW's only request. He just saw SW almost dying. He's probably thinking to let JY go back to SW so she has a will to live. And JY will be much okay if he stays with his mom. 

First, welcome to Soompi. I believe that Tae Oh slapped his son to go back to his mom also. It was very dissapointing and unfair from Joon-Young`s point of view. Maybe it was a wake up call. I don`t know if it was the right thing to do (for his son to feel that) but Joon Young and Sun Woo needs each other right now. Is the best for Joon Young to live with his mom. 

1 hour ago, larus said:

I wanted to comment about one thing. What is wrong for people to raise other woman/man`s child? I wanted to shout this to Da Kyung`s mother. She was so annoying. To raise properly your own child is wonderful but people who adopt a child and give them love have all my respect. With people like Da kyung`s mother, no wonder  there was was a stigma surrounding adoption in South Korea, that some women would abandon a child to get married a second time or that couples will rather fake a pregnancy than recognize that they adopt a child.

Nothing wrong at all.  But the reason DK wanted to bring JY was to alienate him from his one parent - his mother.  Next was sending him abroad and alienate him from everyone.  DK mother does not like it because going forward she would be still labelled as the home wrecker with JY under her daughter 's roof.  Father knew what DK was doing but he held it back because he underestimated his daughter need to feel loved by OTY and to diss SW from friends and family.  

DK intentionally did this flaring up in front of guests to further humiliate JY and show everyone what control she has in the household.  

I had no problem with TO slapping JY i gotta say it, dont care if it's unpopular. In real life many dads would have slapped that kid already when he kept disrespecting his mother like that. Many parents that are divorced i know, the dads still refused to be accomplice when the kids would lash out at their moms, many would stand up and say ''NO, you will NOT disrespect your mother no matter what happened between us!!'' and JY has a habit of being cruel with his mom openly but with his dad he only blames him sometimes. I have a huge problem with that because he is aware that his father's actions started everything! Even TO became annoyed with his behavior and how unfair he was being. I dont think TO slapped him because he believed DK at all, he did it out of frustration because the kid was still running his mouth and he just saw SW almost kill herself hysterically crying on a beach. In that moment he knew himself and JY's actions drove SW that far so he lashed out. To me that was the first time he acted like a father, decided to also see how his own actions drove somebody to fall.

DK and her mom are disgusting women. It's frightening that some women refuse to feel sympathetic toward other women like that but there  are MANY women like that walking the earth. They will push women down however they can while putting the men first. Truly disgusting behavior. I  could not bear hearing DK's mom talking about SW like that and her child, to me she is the only true monster on this show, disgusting sociopath who truly cannot feel the pain of others, it's only about herself and family.

36 minutes ago, angelwingssf said:

DK mother does not like it because going forward she would be still labelled as the home wrecker with JY under her daughter 's roof. 

I seriously doubt that Da Kyung`s mother thought of anyone but herself. Maybe she knew that her daughter took a hard responsability on herself (and maybe she thought that she can`t handle) for the wrong reasons but the way she said it like it is so wrong to raise someone else`s child, is the way she is thinking. I don`t think that raising Joon-Young she will still be labelled her as a home wrecher. Even Chairman Choi's wife and Hae-Kang were surprised by Da Kyung. She played her role well in Cha Hae-Kang`s incident.  I don`t think it was a calculated step from Da Kyung compleatly but her playing the role of "savier" of Joon young, the true lady of the house was out of her league.

She is full of insecurities and she sees Sun woo like a threat. She might have felt a little better knowing that Sun woo will leave Gosan. Too bad for her, Sun Woo is not going anywhere.

If you look back, this whole mess is started by Tae Oh and amplified by Da Kyung's father. He made Tae Oh drive Sun Woo out of Kosun, the rumors...Da Kyung could be leading a hassle free life if only these two peoole did not go around poking their nose into Sun Woo's life. Same goes for the fake alibi. Da Kyung's father prevented law enforcement from accessing the footage. They would clear both Sun Woo and Tae Oh had they seen the footage. Sun Woo would then keep away from Tae Oh, he wouldn't seek her out, they wouldn't sleep together, Joon Young wouldn't see it. They would go on with their lives.

I'm surprised DK didn't know TO cheated on her. Doesn't she have a minion following TO around? He spent the night at SW's house. How convenient for the plot that the one night SW and TO slept together, the minion wasn't following him...

Archived