[Drama 2020] The World of Husband and Wife/The World of the Married, 부부의 세계

larus

11 hours ago, poppie said:

4 categories for TWOTM

Best Director : Mo Wan Il

Best Actress : Kim Hee Ae

Best Supporting Actor : Kim Young Min

Best New Actress : Han So Hee

The best actress category is tough. I think you've left out Best Supporting Actress for Park Sun Young from TWOTM. Somebody put her name in the list but from Crash Landing on You and that's pretty much laughable.

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, FactChecker said:

Daesang (The Grand Prize) deserves to go to Kim Hee Ae or even a joint Daesang between Kim Hee Ae and TWOM. I am surprised to see Romantic Doctor Kim 2, Hospital Playlist and to a lesser extent Itaewon Class not nominated for best drama. Might be dark horses for Daesang?

I always thought that Daesang is selected from one of the nominees in any of the categories.. can a drama/actor/actress win the Daesang when they are not nominated for their respective categories?

Also, I understand the person or drama that wins Daesang will normally not win their own category.. is this a hard fast rule or just a norm?

I believe KHA has a very high chance to come away with an award come June 5... the question is whether it will be the Daesang or the Best Actress Award... I think if she gets the Daesang.. then the Best Actress Award will be open to Gong Hyo Jin, Kim Hye Soo or Son Ye Jin.. all 3 has done really well in their drama... IU I think is unlikely to win...

@BLurBLur, for years, I guess you cannot win Daesang and Best actress. So i think it's no delululu to hope that KHA wins Daesang (because she truly deserves it, her acting is the best and she has a cultural impact on women cheated, divorced etc...) so another great actress could get Best Actress. It would be a great thing because there are my favorite actresses and my favorite singer hahaha. 

BTW, I am really impressed by KHA's diction, she could read audio books haha or reconvertize in MC. Hahah 

I have an exception in mind : KHA won Daesang and Best Actress for Sons and Daughters in 1993 (National Drama with more than 60% audience). 

I just watched episode 13. 

That... was a lot to take in. 

I know a lot of people paint DK as The Embodiment of Evil for manipulating the situation with JY, but sometimes... she really does come off as level-headed, and it makes me want to hate her less... Obviously her motives are selfish, but her suggestions about how to go about JY’s behavioral problems seem very reasonable. Especially since DK is juxtaposed with SW and TO, she seems even more... composed nowadays. Maybe this is just me falling for a manipulative person’s tricks lol. No one is sane in this drama. (But now that I’ve watched episode 13, it seems that the psychiatrist truly isn’t some kind of evil mastermind or anything? I feel bad for hating on him a week ago lol. I guess he isn’t nearly as bad as I thought he was. Weird character.)

But holy richard simmons everyone! I can’t believe JY saw everything! I’m in so much shock lol. 

Let's pray that Sun Woo does not plunge into the sea and never gets back with that psycho. Writernim, happy ending with YK please :D

And let's put on her forehead "Rules" by Dua Lipa :joy: :

One : Don't pick up the phone 
You know he's only callin' 'cause he's drunk and alone 
Two : Don't let him in 
You'll have to kick him out again 
Three : Don't be his friend 
You know you're gonna wake up in his bed in the morning 
And if you're under him, you ain't gettin' over him 

Episode 13 Ratings (05/07/2020)

Nationwide: 21.087%

Seoul: 23.920%

Episode 13 continued to dominate its time slot. Rating dropped 3.2% from last week's record, but rating usually drops during Fridays so I wouldn't worry too much. The episode was also really heavy to watch. I even had to stop several times while watching because there were too much to take in. It was too real.

Joonyoung is the main victim of all the problems between Sunwoo and Taeoh. He knows that his mom is not happy but he doesn't know how to express it so he pushes her away instead. After all, he's just a teenager (still doesn't excuse his behaviors though). He needs to receive proper punishments to realize his mistakes. Just because he has been suffering from his family's problems, he still shouldn't steal and hit people violently. I wonder how they will wrap the story up in the last 3 episodes with Joonyoung's story because the director said that the ending will be different from the original. Will Sunwoo eventually move away from Gosan? What will happen to Joonyoung?  

10 hours ago, poppie said:

@BLurBLur, for years, I guess you cannot win Daesang and Best actress. So i think it's no delululu to hope that KHA wins Daesang (because she truly deserves it, her acting is the best and she has a cultural impact on women cheated, divorced etc...) so another great actress could get Best Actress. It would be a great thing because there are my favorite actresses and my favorite singer hahaha. 

BTW, I am really impressed by KHA's diction, she could read audio books haha or reconvertize in MC. Hahah 

I have an exception in mind : KHA won Daesang and Best Actress for Sons and Daughters in 1993 (National Drama with more than 60% audience). 

I was surprised to see TWOTM not nominated for best drama. Maybe they chose not to include it as it hasn't finished airing. Best Script is also not an option as this is a remake. I hope the director will win Best Director though. The directing and camerawork in this drama is phenomenal. Every scene was beautifully shot. If I could choose 2 things why this drama is huge, it is because of the director and Kim Hee Ae.

About Best Actress, I agree this should be an easy win for Kim Hee Ae. Korea thinks the same too from the responses I've seen so far. They all agree that Kim Hee Ae is the standout from this drama. Judging from how big the drama is and the rave reviews she has been receiving, it's only right to conclude that she would win Daesang or Best Actress. The other actresses aside from IU are all very strong actresses and deserves to win. However, I've seen them acting in much stronger and more complex roles so their roles in their dramas respectively didn't impress me as much. If Kim Hee Ae won't win Best Actress, it would be only because she will win the Daesang instead. If she wins this time, this would be her 3rd Daesang at Baeksang... Impressive. 

Do you think Han So Hee and Kim Young Min will win? Idk about HSH but I think KYM will win. He was so good in CLOY and now this drama. His range is insane. From a coward in CLOY to a cheater in TWOTM. 

One that i always wonder

How the hell haekang stay at a class III room ????

Hello his parent is rich right?? I mean cmon even if he dont had insurance his parents could afford a Single bed room right?????? 

Or there is no single bed room in korea hospital?? 

Such weird choice tho.

Btw arghhh the story keep getting hotter and hotter.

Idk about how they will wrap it but lowkey i am maybe the minority here that want sunwoo tae oh and junyoung reunite again as a family and move away from gosan. About dakyung well she got her parents that also want to get rid of tae oh. 

I just see no possible good closure for junyoung because being with his mother or his father hurt him mentally

AND DAMN Dakyung now make her move to conquer tae oh for good. 

But i am still firm that the break point of Tae oh is the Suicide incident. If dakyung father save him instead of holding the truth i dont think he will be that quick to come back to sunwoo. Although it will happen eventually.

8 minutes ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

Btw arghhh the story keep getting hotter and hotter.

Idk about how they will wrap it but lowkey i am maybe the minority here that want sunwoo tae oh and junyoung reunite again as a family and move away from gosan. About dakyung well she got her parents that also want to get rid of tae oh. 

I just see no possible good closure for junyoung because being with his mother or his father hurt him mentally

AND DAMN Dakyung now make her move to conquer tae oh for good. 

But i am still firm that the break point of Tae oh is the Suicide incident. If dakyung father save him instead of holding the truth i dont think he will be that quick to come back to sunwoo. Although it will happen eventually.

oh no I disagree!!! Sunwoo and Taeoh going back together would be a disaster. I don't think people want to see her doing that and a reunion wouldn't fit Sunwoo's character as well. 

Would moving away from Gosan be a good start for Joonyoung? I don't know I feel like he has been through too much as a 13 year old and this would traumatize him forever. I just hope the writer won't leave the ending hanging like Doctor Foster (well Doctor Foster was supposed to have another season but the main actress didn't come back so that's why it was an open ending...)

@boonieyoThe ratings are still great, it's over 20% :) : the first cable drama to have 6 episodes over 20%. In addition, Saturdays are always better than Fridays ; they broke a record last week so it is difficult to maintain it. Personally, episode 13 was really depressing, so it's amazing to still have 21% nationwide and 24% in Seoul. 

Also, there is TMAD at 21 pm till 23 pm which is popular. 

JY has health issues, his parents are half responsible for it. However, it broke my heart to see :

1/ Sun Woo had to kneel down (Joon Young is such a irresponsible coward like his father; he did not properly apologize) ;

2/ Sun Woo receiving a message from his son telling her to go.

If I was a depressed and alcoholic like Sun Woo, I think I could hurt myself. She keeps on biting her lips, it's not a bright sign from my point of view. 

I think the crew has filmed till episode 15 ? They may have submitted to Baeksang only 14 episodes because editing takes times ?

My guess : Kim Hee Ae will win her third Daesang or Best Actress (but an award for sure), Mo Wan Il will win Best Director. Kim Young Min has his chances. For Han So Hee, I am not sure because I won't choose her (I have other preferences for this award). 

@FactChecker Oh gosh, it is not a simple ahjumma makjang. It is the best drama/Makjang I have ever seen with impressive acting, directing and writing. Many young people watch it and men also. When I read comments on Naver, the majority is in its twenties. The force of this drama is that every generation is watching it. 

2 hours ago, FactChecker said:

I don't think KYM will win, because dramas such as Itaewon Class are relabeling main leads as supporting casts.  I think that Yoo Jae Myung's in Itaewon Class had way more screentime to showcase his skills as he was essentially the main lead next to Park Seo Joon.

I watched Itaewon Class and Yoo Jae Myung didn't impress me that much. The only impressive thing that I remember about him is the scene when he was killing that chicken. Interesting...

2 hours ago, FactChecker said:

Totally irrelevant to the whole Baeksang discussion, I am surprised to see that The Guardian (one of UK's most read quality newspapers) ran a full story on TWOTM with detailed background information and interviews with viewers. I know Dr Foster is British, but it still interesting to see mainstream media picking it up. The Guardian never writes about non-English shows. It definitely does not write about shows that are not available on Netflix. I find it therefore almost blasphemous that a lot of i-netizens call the programme "an ahjumma-drama" or "a simple makjang". Quite an interesting read: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/doctor-foster-remake-gets-pulses-racing-in-south-korea

It is a great drama. One of the best k-dramas I've watched and I've watched plenty of them. It's great to see international medias picking up on it although it's not available to stream internationally.

About people calling this drama "an ahjumma-drama", they haven't seen that people in the 20s and 30s watching this drama more than people in their 40s. A makjang? Most of them didn't even watch the drama and are just pissed that TWOTM surpassed their favorite dramas in ratings. This drama is anything other than a makjang. Some of them are fans of romantic dramas and I swear most of the times the plots for those dramas although enjoyable and fun are very generic.

The definition of makjang: a sylistic, tonal, or narrative element in dramas that chooses to play up outrageous storylines to keep viewers hooked despite how ridiculous the stories become (adultery, revenge, rape, birth secrets, fatal illnesses, and flirting with incest possibilities are some makjang favorites). 

If so, Game of Thrones would also be a makjang lmao, and Game of Thrones is one of the most acclaimed series on television. TWOTM is too realistic to even be called a makjang. I even saw some people saying that this drama is too dark and teach people the wrong things LMAO. 

@poppie Yeah 21% is still very high!! The series's average right now is more than 17%. That's more than 5% higher than Sky Castle's average. I hope tonight's episode will be higher and hopefully the drama will once again break its own record by the finale.

About ep 13:

Out of all of this there is something that is very true and it's (paraphrasing) what TO said to SW: that she shouldn't settle for less nor being with people who don't value her.

And nobody in that place or family deserves the energy/emotional/psychological pain that SW is going through for trying to get ahead... not even the son, who clearly lets himself be carried away by nice words and not by actions, including accepting that his mother humiliates herself for him (and on top of that having the face of being embarrassed and upset about it!) For me is just not possible to justify his actions for being a teenager and divorcee son: he has perfect reasoning and is a selfish, ungrateful little coward like his father...

I really hope that SW leaves behind all those trashy people.

Ep 13 was a heart pain story for me, especially when I seen JY behaviour, it made me recalled that my young nephew behaviour ever since my sister's divorce back then...Really sad to see that scene. :tears:

I usually enjoyed story that comes with narration. There are few types of Narration. I like this drama using "First Person" - a character (typically the protagonist) is telling the story in her point of view. Usually used "I", "me" or "we" in first person narrations. SW used this in the beginning of the drama, where they were having sex. This reflected the complexity of her emotions including her regretful thought : is this an act of reconciliation or out of loneliness, or....etc.

I like this drama using "first person" narration to express her feeling and thoughts towards the matter. While so many people disappointed on SW, I pity her and i felt for her, she is also the victim of the divorce. Viewer like us can give any rational comment is because we are 3rd party zoom out viewer, while the couples and their child were deeply struggling in pain that were involving in this tragedy. 

Like i said in my earlier post, generally, a woman who can play well in her strategic role in the marriage, she will be the winner. Look at how DK handled the case in the hospital scene, she was literally in charge of the situation, well we could say that she was using her power status, but the fact that she used the right reason (blame herself first) to apologise and the choice of words used were very smart. I will give her applause on that part. Look at those ancient days, like Qing dynasty where concubines were often fighting over the emperor for their status, she will win if only using right strategic thinking, but not the type who kills people to the extreme. As SW role is not belonged to this type of character, she would only do what is best for her and her child, she gave up her pride and knelt down asking for forgiveness, she lost her battle in this scene. I felt that this may be the writer intention to secure DK in her "mother role image" taller in the family as compared to what SW had done, that scene was probably a catalyst to JY decision asking his mum to leave Gosan in later part.

I can only say never underestimate traumatic divorce is for the children. What DK done was right, as parents, blame herself at the upfront (using hand touching, part of body gestures to show sincere apology) and explain the reason behind what causing JY to stay overnight at cafe as he overheard his parents conversation to send him overseas. But SW and TO, both did not mention the reason behind of their fault, only kept apologising to the victim and his parents. This was the best piece of work in this drama.

Conflict Ensues In “The World Of The Married” As Kim Hee Ae Is Determined To Leave Town For Good

May 9, 2020
by L. Kim
3c3f71e8d37b46b6b628f3bf09623a32.jpeg?s=

JTBC’s “The World of the Married” has shared a glimpse of the chaos that will unfold in the upcoming episode!

Spoiler

Ji Sun Woo (Kim Hee Ae) and Lee Tae Oh (Park Hae Joon) experienced shock and confusion after learning that their son Lee Joon Young (Jun Jin Seo) got into a fight at school and even stole his classmates’ possessions. Ji Sun Woo struggled to avoid the worst, but reconciliation was not easy due to deep emotional distress. To make matters worse, Yeo Da Kyung (Han So Hee) stepped in to play Lee Joon Young’s mother, pushing Kim Hee Ae to make the decision to leave town. However, Kim Hee Ae and Lee Tae Oh realized Lee Joon Young came over the night they struggled with their confusing emotions, which explained why he was so angry and bewildered at them.

In the stills for the upcoming episode, Ji Sun Woo leaves the hospital with her belongings. When Lee Tae Oh finds out she’s gone, he goes into panic mode, and Yeo Da Kyung bursts into tears due to the fear and frustration that her husband might still have feelings for his ex-wife. Viewers are eager to find out if Ji Sun Woo will really leave town, and if she does, what will Lee Tae Oh do about it?

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1399200wpp/conflict-ensues-in-the-world-of-the-married-as-kim-hee-ae-is-determined-to-leave-town-for-good

Very disappointed that Joon Young just stood there while his mom knelt on floor begging forgiveness on his behalf btw.:rolleyes: It's like he's mentally checked out and who could blame him LoL?! 

Da Kyung is truly her father's daughter. She obviously devised that in such a way to humiliate Sun Woo and to further drive a wedge between her and Tae Oh, Joon Young.. 

How many more ep. again to this craziness huh LoL? 3 ep.? Well it seems pretty stretched thin atm. They're makin' it seem Sun Woo is at the end of the road literally. She might do somethin' real drastic as she's fought hard to maintain the image of a perfect family etc. 

Joon Young will forever have the image embedded into his head of his parents having *** ha-ha. Well at least he can skip the birds and bees talk not that he's that naive.:P Hae Kang's not any better just sayin'. His parents are just as toxic. Like I said before Gosan is filled with crazy people.:crazy:  

I understand that children can suffer emotionally too when their parents go through a divorce. I am glad that they showed how Joon Young`s world started to crack and now he is a troubled teenage boy. I want him to be better and find his peace again but my heart broke for Sun Woo when Joon Young told her to leave Gosan. Joon Young is angry (and can`t control this anger) and he needs counseling and I think his parents needs counseling too. Now that the bloody war between Sun Woo and Tae Oh seams to cool down, maybe they will start to build a healthier relationship. If they will be fine, their son will be alright too. Joon Young might think that with his mom gone, things will be fine (without conflict) but that`s not true. He loves his mom despite the anger. I don`t think he will be really happy if she will be out of his life. It is not fair for Sun Woo too. She feels very low right now. She already have been hurt and lonely. She did not recovered from the divorce completely. She just functioned to provide Joon Young a stability, she lived for him. Now that he is rejecting her, Sun Woo has nothing. She needs time to heal, maybe she needs time off from all the drama as well but I hope she comes back. She did not leave because she felt that way. It was an exile and I don`t think she deserves that. I hope all participants on the drama (Sun Woo, Tae Oh, Da Kyung) will take responsability for what they have done, come up with a truce and start building a new life for themselves.

Archived