[Drama 2020] The World of Husband and Wife/The World of the Married, 부부의 세계

larus

41 minutes ago, GreenAppleTea said:

Do you think the medical equipment sales rep who visited Myungsook will play a bigger part later in the drama? 

I think the same ! This drama has no useless scenes so there has to be a reason. For the possible new love interest, it would be a good idea if Doctor Love is a snake ^_^

27 minutes ago, alexaze said:

This may sound crazy but the sexual tension between Sun Woo and Tae Oh is off the charts. It's been shown that both leads still haven't let go. I wonder where the show is gonna go with this. Is Tae Oh gonna cheat on his current wife with his ex? Lol sounds like something Tae Oh would do.

Yeah the scene in the kitchen was on fire. Hopefully, the drama does not follow the english version because I would be sad for SW if she and TO had an intimate scene.

KHA said that episode 12 would be the climax during the press conference. So I am scared for her mental and physical health. 

• Replies 748
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, alexaze said:

This may sound crazy but the sexual tension between Sun Woo and Tae Oh is off the charts. It's been shown that both leads still haven't let go. I wonder where the show is gonna go with this. Is Tae Oh gonna cheat on his current wife with his ex? Lol sounds like something Tae Oh would do.

I also hope Sun Woo starts being more pro-active and does something whether that be moving out or fighting back. Her life is shitty and everyone around her is a snake, but I hope the writer does her character justice instead of having her cry and drink herself to sleep every night.

I think just like episodes 5 and 6 next week's episodes will be a crazy roller coaster

Not going to lie, the chemistry between Kim Hee Ae and Park Hae Joon is crazy. I obviously don't root for Sun Woo and Tae Oh but it's hard to watch their scenes because the sexual tension is way too much. Well, Tae Oh will cheat on Da Kyung with Sun Woo if they follow Doctor Foster's script....

Yeah I also hope Sun Woo does something because a drama where everyone just bully a helpless woman isn't fun... But I'll believe in KHA's words that all these episodes are a build-up for a climax in episode 12! Next week will be a ride!

1 hour ago, alexaze said:

I also hope Sun Woo starts being more pro-active and does something whether that be moving out or fighting back. Her life is shitty and everyone around her is a snake, but I hope the writer does her character justice instead of having her cry and drink herself to sleep every night.

I think just like episodes 5 and 6 next week's episodes will be a crazy roller coaster

It doesn't sound crazy at all. Both Sun Woo and Tae Oh have "hate sex soon" written on their faces. (But I hope not, because he's really nuts.)

But now their feud has a body count. I think Sun Woo is capable of a lot. She has been proactive in the past, and very effectively so. So I think she has some plans up her sleeve. But she's not so crazy that this won't be sobering to her.

Oh, there is this funny saying in Korean, "So when you do it, it's romance, but when I do it, it's adultery?" Basically, it's "pot calling the kettle black," or "you are a hypocrite."

I'm just saying, that saying is made for this show.

Honestly I believe that the hate sex will happen and it'll be either in episode 11 or 12. Why? Because the screenwriter and director are hinting way too much at it. Why would they make so many scenes with Da Kyung being insecure and worried her husband will cheat on her? Also why would they constantly escalate the sexual tension between Tae Oh and Sun Woo episode by episode?

If you guys remember correctly, from episode 7 to 10, Tae Oh and Sun Woo keep getting closer to each other. First TO was always walking towards SW and closing the gap between them, on episode 9 TO catches SW's wrists and now on episode 10 he goes as far as grabbing her arms while SW stares at him, transfixed.

Honestly, I believe they just doing a build up towards this scene and with JTBC making all the remaining episodes rated R, it's clearly to give artistic liberty to the PD and the writer. Though if this scene does happen, I don't think one second it'll be graphic like the British scene (I think it's illegal anyway lol?). 

Just wanted to comment as it seems no one has noticed. The scarf!

in storytelling objects can be used as visual clues to the importance of scenes. We can think of the scarf as possibly a way to tie the murder to our lead but I actually think there was another important piece to it.

A  scarf started this all.

The scarf of TO that started this whole drama ( Red hair on the blue scarf=cheater) has now found its ending aka the white scarf with blood=death.

the revenge plot started by the scarf has come to an end for our main character and therefore I do believe one of them died. Was the revenge worth it? Was the blood literally and figuratively staining the scarf worth all the actions taken? I believe our main character had been spiraling out of control as mentioned and highlighted  by Yoon ji and ye rim and she finally has realized in my opinion to let the revenge and anger she has for her marriage go and that will be the next episodes and resolution of the drama.

I think Ye Rim comments was very interesting, back in the earlier episodes viewers would have wanted more of a dramatic plot for her aka revenge for her betrayal. But now near the end she actually provides a very health, realistic, non dramatic response. She is done and moving on! And so should our main fallen heroine. Some viewers might want a very dramatice revenge plot from start to end, but others have already commented that our fearless character is actually suffering. She drinks a lot, is paranoid, doesnt spend time with her child, and is obsessed with her anger. That is why I believe the scarf was the final piece that clicked in for her to get out of the tunnel vision she was in. YJ and YR verbalized her toxic state but it took the bloody scarf for her to hopefully finally listen.

I understand not trusting YJ because of how many twists this drama has but everything he has said and done to this point has been in my opinion the right thing. He has been able to get the son to talk and open up, he has gotten himself in a position to gather information from the chairman(he is much better than that snake of “friend) and all his comments about her needing time off is true. I think there is more to why is he is helping ( it would have been stupid for him to tell the Chairman his true feelings... would give him information to use against him). My theory is our psych doc also did have a child. Past tense. And it ties our show back to the english version. 

1 hour ago, fullmoon3 said:

I think Ye Rim comments was very interesting, back in the earlier episodes viewers would have wanted more of a dramatic plot for her aka revenge for her betrayal. But now near the end she actually provides a very health, realistic, non dramatic response. She is done and moving on! And so should our main fallen heroine.

I think Ye-Rim's comments were healthy. As I said earlier, the best thing to do is to separate and move on. (But that if everyone was so cool and rational, we wouldn't have this bonkers show to enjoy.)

But despite her healthy words as she separates from her husband, I don't think Ye-Rim's behavior is healthy at all.

After she received those pictures of her husband in bed with the other woman, she left and it *appeared* that she checked herself into the *same* hotel room that her husband had stayed in WITH SUN-WOO.

She had a GPS tracker on his phone, so she knew where he went. I don't think he ever found out about that.

I don't know if she still has GPS on his phone, because she didn't know about his latest affair.

But anyway, that was kind of cray. So Ye-Rim's very mentally healthy words were... let's just say, suspicious.

It's like Dr. Kim the psychologist. He claims that he is buttering up Chairman Yeo for Sun-Woo's benefit, but he is definitely violating all sorts of doctor-patient privilege while he is doing that - she is right about that.

No one on this show can be trusted.

2 hours ago, poppie said:

I think the same ! This drama has no useless scenes so there has to be a reason. For the possible new love interest, it would be a good idea if Doctor Love is a snake ^_^

I feel like the medical equipment sales rep, Woo Ho Sang, is going to play the Korean version of James, the female lead's new boyfriend who's her son's teacher in the British version. My guess is that they're going to mix up the new doctor and the new boyfriend's storylines. The new doctor was, in the British version, the spy of the cheating husband while in the Korean version he's the spy of DK's father. The new boyfriend hasn't been outed as a spy but he was suspected by fans to be feeding information to the cheating husband. They might make him (Woo Ho Sang) the spy of Tae Oh and maybe make him hang around SW? 

When I think about it, it's very strange how he's introduced in the same episode where it's revealed Zoe was Tae Oh's plant and seduced Je Hyuk to break his marriage. And then JH tells SW to be alert because he's going after her now. Honestly, I'm almost certain Woo Ho Sang is going to be a prominent character now that the In Kyu/Hyun Seo storyline seems to over, same for the SW/YK romance subplot. Now, if I'm right and he'll be SW's new love interest, I don't know if he's TO's plant or not (since it's just a speculation in Doctor Foster). He seemed a bit too eager to get acquainted? With this drama, every detail counts and yes, like you said, there is no useless scenes.  

35 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

I think Ye-Rim's comments were healthy. As I said earlier, the best thing to do is to separate and move on. (But that if everyone was so cool and rational, we wouldn't have this bonkers show to enjoy.)

But despite her healthy words as she separates from her husband, I don't think Ye-Rim's behavior is healthy at all.

After she received those pictures of her husband in bed with the other woman, she left and it *appeared* that she checked herself into the *same* hotel room that her husband had stayed in WITH SUN-WOO.

She had a GPS tracker on his phone, so she knew where he went. I don't think he ever found out about that.

I don't know if she still has GPS on his phone, because she didn't know about his latest affair.

But anyway, that was kind of cray. So Ye-Rim's very mentally healthy words were... let's just say, suspicious.

It's like Dr. Kim the psychologist. He claims that he is buttering up Chairman Yeo for Sun-Woo's benefit, but he is definitely violating all sorts of doctor-patient privilege while he is doing that - she is right about that.

No one on this show can be trusted.

Hmm I would have to disagree about the hotel part... there was no indication of those intentions for her to check into same hotel. Remember they live in a small town/city. Sets are also reused to save time for production. The importance of that scene was to just show the viewers that she is taking time to think and that she wanted to be alone. 

again you also highlighted my point that the crazy dramatic actions viewers expected from her is things we would have gotten in earlier episodes but now we are nearing the end ... seems like she really has realized she needs to stop the toxic relationship.

Sun woo has violated far worse doctor patient privileges Lmfao!! Barging in her son’s session is a start. It is odd, I think people forgot that she never showed up to the meeting and one chance she had at stopping her resignation... nor do people seem to remember her replacement, aka lying friend would be far worse to her main goals.

SW is rash and overtly confident sometimes. She felt like she was in the right (hence the outbreak at YJ) but again what my main point was that hopefully with the death SW is fully zapped out of this obsession, anger. She is not always right and it is causing harm to others the more she tries to control things.( her comment to YR)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1396766wpp/arthdal-chronicles-actors-show-support-for-the-world-of-the-married-star-park-hae-joon

“Arthdal Chronicles” Actors Show Support For “The World Of The Married” Star Park Hae Joon

Apr 26, 2020
by S. Park

6-F7216-FE-7-FBC-4-A3-A-9-EA2-812195-A49

Park Hae Joon received a thoughtful surprise from his friends and former co-stars!

On April 26, it was revealed that a number of actors who starred alongside Park Hae Joon in “Arthdal Chronicles” had sent a coffee truck to the set of his hit JTBC drama “The World of the Married.”

A source stated, “10 actors from the cast of ‘Arthdal Chronicles’ who are close with him came together [to prepare the gift]. Park Jin, Go Jae Chun, Song Yoo Taek, Choi Young Joon, Ki Do Hoon, Hwang Hee, Park Hyung Soo, Jung Woo, Hwang Min Ho, and Lee Ho Cheol sent their thoughts to cheer on Park Hae Joon.”

The banner on top of the truck has pictures of the 10 actors who sent the coffee truck, along with a play on words riffing on Park Hae Joon’s line from “The World of the Married” in which he asks if it’s a sin to love two women. The banner reads, “It’s not a sin to love both teams, is it? From the ‘Arthdal Chronicles’ team, who is always watching over you.”

Spoiler

4-BB4-E3-DB-3820-4-B8-B-A834-51892946754

8-A379885-30-F1-450-A-922-E-15129-C89072

BAF9-F4-CA-1-AE5-4459-9482-7-C3-A4-AF0-E

Park Hae Joon played the role of Moo Baek in “Arthdal Chronicles,” and he is currently starring as Lee Tae Oh in “The World of the Married.” The new JTBC series, which is enjoying explosive popularity, is now just one percentage point away from breaking the record set by “SKY Castle” for the highest drama viewership ratings in Korean cable network history.

Source (1)

———

https://www.soompi.com/article/1396830wpp/the-world-of-the-married-star-kim-hee-ae-sings-han-so-hees-praises-explains-why-shes-avoided-getting-to-know-her-too-well

“The World Of The Married” Star Kim Hee Ae Praises Han So Hee + Explains Why She’s Avoided Getting To Know Her Too Well

Apr 26, 2020
by E. Cha

7-C269397-8-C07-4855-AF86-408-B40-B30-CE

Kim Hee Ae had no shortage of praise for her “The World of the Married” co-star Han So Hee!

During JTBC’s recent online press conference for the hit drama, Kim Hee Ae didn’t hold back in lavishing praise on the younger actress.

“Han So Hee is the one in charge of beauty in our drama,” said Kim Hee Ae. “She possesses a truly heavenly beauty, and I think that even those words alone aren’t enough to express it.”

Kim Hee Ae also spoke highly of Han So Hee’s talents as an actress, commenting, “She’s very passionate, and her skills as an actress are already fully developed. If she’s already this perfect, I wonder what kind of actress she’ll be in the future, when she reaches my age. I can’t even imagine it. She works so hard, and in terms of her face and body, I think she’s flawless. She leaves nothing to be desired.”

Spoiler

5-A92-B580-C0-AF-4-BFF-BA63-653-AB1-E1-A

However, the veteran actress revealed that even though she was deeply impressed by her younger co-star, she’s been making an effort to keep her distance from both Han So Hee and Park Hae Joon—who plays her husband in the drama—during filming.

“It’s intentional on my part,” she explained, “but I’m keeping my distance from Park Hae Joon and Han So Hee. Because I don’t want to lose the emotion [of my character].”

“So Hee is so polite and pretty, and I like her,” she went on, “but I’m trying to keep my distance. So that I can properly immerse myself in my character’s emotions.”

Meanwhile, Han So Hee previously named Kim Hee Ae as her role model in a separate interview for Grazia magazine.

Spoiler

85-FFB566-2078-4246-900-B-8-F48-BF8-C1-A

“The World of the Married,” which airs on Fridays and Saturdays at 10:50 p.m. KST, has been gaining new viewers at an impressive rate with each new episode. On April 25, the drama came within less than one percentage point of the record set by JTBC’s “SKY Castle” for the highest viewership ratings ever achieved by any drama on a Korean cable network.

For more Kim Hee Ae, check out her drama “Mrs. Cop” with English subtitles below!

WATCH NOW

Source (1) (2)

———

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3076476

‘The World of the Married’ becomes JTBC’s most-watched drama series

April 27, 2020

JTBC’s “The World of the Married” has become the channel’s most-watched drama series ever, with viewership ratings surpassing 25 percent on Saturday evening. 

According to Nielsen Korea, the 10th episode of the drama, which aired on April 25, had a 25.9 percent viewer rating in metropolitan areas, breaking a record that was previously set by the popular drama “SKY Castle” last year, which had a 24.6 percent viewership rating in metropolitan areas. Although the nationwide viewership ratings for Saturday’s episode of “The World of the Married” was 22.9 percent, a little lower than the record set by “SKY Castle” (23.8), drama enthusiasts say it won’t take long for the drama series’ unusual love affair story line to break the nationwide record as well and become the most popular drama in JTBC’s history. 

Starring veteran actor Kim Hee-ae, “The World of the Married” is based on the hit BBC drama “Doctor Foster” (2015). Kim plays a protagonist named Sun-woo, and the story loosely follows the original British drama series, in which the protagonist finds out about her husband’s love affair, and from there, her complex life unravels. 

The series airs every Friday and Saturday night starting at 10:50 p.m. The 16th episode will be its last. 

By Yim Seung-hye

7 hours ago, Helena said:

“Arthdal Chronicles” Actors Show Support For “The World Of The Married” Star Park Hae Joon

Park Hae Joon received a thoughtful surprise from his friends and former co-stars!

I am so happy for this male lead Park Hae Joon, I have always seen him appeared for few previous projects as a supporting role and more often in a evil role only. The last piece of his work was from “Arthdal Chronicles”which is one of my favourite drama,  this time, he was a good and loyal man to the king. I really hope this actor can given a chance to fly higher after this hit drama. His acting skill is good in this drama, otherwise it won't be causing all the negative comments from netizen and flooded into his instagram that he mentioned in the press-con. Same for Han So Hee. I pity actor/actress who once acted in villain role, seems like they were always be framed in that role several times. A versatile role is a dream that many actors/actresses wish to achieve one day. 

@Rainydays

Yes. the most dangerous in the marriage is the physical abuse and mental harassment but these can report to police case with evidence shown. The most dangerous guy is Park In-Kyu, he can appear as and when to threaten the ladies, far more scary than TO, even TO was threatened by him too. This drama will definitely put an end for his action.

15 hours ago, larus said:

The revenge is indeed served cold. I suspected Tae Oh behind the  mistress Joy when he called Je Hyuk and had a satisfied face It was a good revenge and I don`t feel sorry at all for Je Hyuk. Tae Oh used his weaknesses and it was such an easy target. Je Hyuk blamed Tae Oh (and called him a psycho) but he is the first to blame. If it was not that bartender, it would have been other women. Maybe he would have cheated Ye Rim when he was pregnant. 

Yoon Ji.... I am glad that he was not Chairman Yeo`s man at the hospital. I understand that Sun Woo might feel betrayed but I believe him that he doesn`t want the position. It is better him than Myung Sook. I think Yoon Ki`s concern about Sun woo are genuine.

I agree with both of your points here...

But with JH I think he is despicable but better than TO... at least he apologized for his behavior. Whereas TO to this day believes what he did was right, and innocent. And to add to this, it wasn't just the cheating that made SW wanted to divorce him, i think if it was she might have just batted an eye and try to work it out. It was also the loans he took on their house, their son's insurance that made it impossible to forgive because it would have left them homeless. And the only way for SW to keep her assets was to divorce him. I think that is extremely despicable. TO really doesn't seem to think too much into the future and consider the consequences.. (the same when he hired the abusive bf) 

I also agree with you on YK's character. I believe his feelings to SW are genuine. The parking lot scene when the son was scratching the Chairmen's car proves that YK was treating him before he got to know the chairman. But I want to learn more about him and his past. So far whenever he's on screen it's always been about SW and SW's problems. He seems like a man with a lot of stories too... maybe he experienced something similar in Seoul, and so he moved away? this could be a wild guess.  

I don't know about the medical supplies guy... it seemed to me that character was introduced as a helper for MS, the snake friend. She seemed to have plans giving his company some sales benefits when she becomes the VP, but now that dream is gone she might pursue some sort of revenge with this guy. maybe they will team up against SW and YK? 

The last bit of ep 10 really keeps you on the edge.. who died?? I would love to know that. In the preview it seem HS and IK were both alive and talking about escaping... and the way the preview was cut, it seemed like the chairmen knew something about it too so he instructed that DK should never find out? I am curious to know what is it that DK should never find out? 

Also I recall, someone posted an interview with the female lead, and she mentioned that the story will shift toward the more positive after episode 12? so after next week's episode we will finally see something more optimistic? 

Btw i also wanted to point out that i do like how the writers are blatantly addressing the issue around gender discrimination. The notion that a divorced woman is somehow frowned upon by the society, they lose their status and reputation just because they are divorced is so unfair. While the men who caused the trouble seem to be treated better.  

4 hours ago, fullmoon3 said:

Hmm I would have to disagree about the hotel part... there was no indication of those intentions for her to check into same hotel. Remember they live in a small town/city. Sets are also reused to save time for production. The importance of that scene was to just show the viewers that she is taking time to think and that she wanted to be alone. 

again you also highlighted my point that the crazy dramatic actions viewers expected from her is things we would have gotten in earlier episodes but now we are nearing the end ... seems like she really has realized she needs to stop the toxic relationship.

Sun woo has violated far worse doctor patient privileges Lmfao!! Barging in her son’s session is a start. It is odd, I think people forgot that she never showed up to the meeting and one chance she had at stopping her resignation... nor do people seem to remember her replacement, aka lying friend would be far worse to her main goals.

SW is rash and overtly confident sometimes. She felt like she was in the right (hence the outbreak at YJ) but again what my main point was that hopefully with the death SW is fully zapped out of this obsession, anger. She is not always right and it is causing harm to others the more she tries to control things.( her comment to YR)

Minor children do not have confidentiality. The confidentiality is legally with the parents.

2 hours ago, foreverempress said:

Sun woo has violated far worse doctor patient privileges Lmfao!! Barging in her son’s session is a start.

She didn't consent to her son's treatment. She was well within her rights to barge into the session. Actually, we still don't know who consented to the son's treatment. Tae Oh only came back recently and he hadn't been in touch with Joon Young while he was gone for 2 years. It seems like the shrink has been treating JY without parental consent, which is illegal...

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3076554

TV viewers unafraid to criticize: Drama series quickly come under fire for creating controversy

April 28, 2020

4854-C9-CC-6-D5-F-43-CF-9402-602-B3-B44-

Above, Koo Seo-ryeong is described as an ambitious and competent politician who became Korea’s youngest and first female prime minister in the “The King: Eternal Monarch.” However, her wardrobe and controversial lines left some viewers feeling disappointed with the first two episodes. [SBS]

Unlike the slow-moving film industry, where productions take well over a year to film, edit and prepare for distribution, television has the advantage of being flexible and quick to adapt to trends and social change. But, the responsive nature of small screen productions means that they are more sensitive to public demands and often take heed of what viewers like and what they don’t. 

Three of the most buzzed-about drama series of the season have faced controversies in recent weeks due to their anachronistic dialogues and story lines that raised eyebrows and caused viewers to voice their discomfort online. 

The websites of television shows have long had comments sections to provide viewers space to freely express their opinions and engage in lively discussions about what’s happening on the show. But after Naver and Daum, Korea’s largest portal sites, closed down the comments sections for articles related to entertainment last month, more than ever, viewers are flooding the official websites of television series to share their thoughts and opinions on what they’re watching. 

27212700.jpg
A violent scene from the eighth episode of JTBC’s “The World of the Married,” top, was heavily criticized by viewers who took to the show’s website to express their anger. At right, a scene from the KBS show “Once Again” featured women wearing revealing clothing to attract male customers to a gimbap store. [JTBC, KBS]

Due to the change, writers and producers may start seeing a need to respond to audiences even more quickly than before to correct their mistakes. 

A recent example is from the hit drama series “The World of the Married,” which is currently airing on JTBC. The show was showered with praise for being a well-made affair story over the course of its first six episodes. But, the drama’s site was bombarded with criticism after the eighth episode aired on April 18. 

At the end of the episode, an intruder attempts to hurt the show’s main character Sun-woo (played by Kim Hee-ae), but the violence was depicted from the perspective of the attacker, giving viewers the impression that they were in the middle of a violent video game. Many viewers pointed out that the extreme violence shown during the episode was not appropriate for minors. The episode was rated 15 and over (indicating that the content of the show is deemed inappropriate for those under the age of 15) despite the fact that all of the episodes that had previously aired were rated 19 and over.  

The scene was said to be unnecessarily vivid, and the way the producers depicted it as if it was part of a game raised objections. 

Moreover, the show’s depiction of female characters also contributed to a rise in criticism. The eighth episode also showed a female waiter in her 20s approaching Je-hyuk (played by Kim Young-min) as a gold digger. She makes a proposition that she’ll become his lover if he buys her a designer bag. 

E4217270-CF58-4-EAB-8-A95-106-D35649114.

Viewers complain, top, about scenes from the JTBC series “The World of the Married” on the show’s website. Above, producers from KBS’s “Once Again” publish an apology after receiving backlash regarding a specific scene. [SCREEN CAPTURE]

“Isn’t it outdated thinking to match a young woman with a designer bag?” one person wrote on the show’s comments section. “Once again, I realize how the mass media is treating women like products.”

In response to the objections, the show’s producers announced on April 23 that they would rate the rest of the show’s episodes 19 and over “to display the escalating conflicts between characters as vividly and realistically as possible.” 

Despite their efforts, the ninth and 10th episodes, which aired over the weekend, failed to subdue criticism from viewers. 

“I don’t understand why the protagonist’s lack of physical strength due to her gender keeps being emphasized as she continues to be hit by male perpetrators,” read a comment posted after the 10th episode aired. “I hope that for the future, the producers will refrain from inflicting violence - both physical and verbal - upon helpless women. Even though it’s only a story, when people repetitively see and hear negative actions it’s bound to influence them.”

The popular KBS weekend series “Once Again” has also received backlash for its accused objectification of women. A recent episode of the show told a story of a gimbap (dried seaweed roll) shop that lacked customers. In order to attract more people to their store, the women working there wore revealing clothes to “lure” male customers, including high school students. Enraged viewers rushed to the show’s site to leave complaints, with many saying that they “could not believe” that a public broadcaster would air such a scene on weekend evenings, when families tend to gather together to watch the show. 

The complaints led the producers of “Once Again” to post an official apology the following afternoon. 

“We are sorry to have created discomfort among viewers due to a specific scene in the episode that aired on April 18,” the statement read. “We will be more cautious from now on and will replace the problematic scene with a revised one in our re-runs.” 

In “The King: Eternal Monarch,” currently airing on SBS, the first line uttered by the country’s youngest and first female prime minister Koo Seo-ryeong (played by Jung Eun-chae) was, “Wireless bras don’t support my breasts properly.” Although she was described as an ambitious and power-hungry character, she gets jealous after hearing rumors that the king (played by Lee Min-ho) might have a girlfriend. 

“Is she young? Pretty?” Koo asks her secretary. 

Penned by the successful drama writer Kim Eun-suk - who is behind worldwide smash hits such as “Secret Garden” (2010), “The Heirs” (2013), “Descendants of the Sun” (2016), “Goblin” (2016) and “Mr. Sunshine” (2018) - the show has drawn a large audience tuning in to see if the show could surpass the high bar that Kim has set for herself. 

But many viewers didn’t like what they saw.

“Are those really the words uttered by Korea’s youngest and first female prime minister?” one viewer wrote after watching the episode. “What century is [the drama] living in? I’m so tired of hearing these randomly written, outmoded lines [uttered by female characters].”  

“It’s different now - viewers are now a part of the story,” culture critic Jeong Deok-hyun commented. “Unlike in the past, people aren’t afraid to voice how they feel. But that doesn’t mean that cases like this didn’t exist in the past. People have become more gender-sensitive.”

BY LEE JAE-LIM [lee.jaelim@joongang.co.kr]

——————

Lists of Most Buzz Worthy Dramas & Actors [4th Week of April, 2020]

Good Data Corporation has shared its weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week! The company analyzed news articles, blog posts and online communities, videos, and social media from April 20 to 26 for dramas that are currently airing or are set to air, and they revealed the results on April 27.

The top 10 dramas that generated the most buzz for the 4th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - 35.88% (0)

2. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - 23.04% 0)

3. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - 9.1% (0)

4. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - 5.15% (+1)

5. KBS2  “Born Again” - 3.24% (NEW)

6. MBC “365: One Year Against Destiny” - 3.09% (0)

7. JTBC “When the Weather is Fine“ - 2.91% (0)

8. tvN “When My Love Blooms” - 2.86% (NEW)

9. tvN  “Piece of Your Mind” - 1.95% (0)

10. SBS “Nobody Knows” - 1.81% (+2)

The top 10 drama actors that generated the most buzz for the 4th week of April

1. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Kim Hee-ae (0)

2. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Park Hae-joon (+1)

3. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Lee Min-ho (-1)

4. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Han So-hee (0)

5. SBS “The King: Eternal Monarch“ - Kim Go-eun (+1)

6. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Lee Moo-saeng (+13)

7. JTBC “The World of the Married” - Shim Eun-woo (+30)

8. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - Moon Ga-young (+7)

9. tvN “Hospital Playlist” - Jo Jung-suk (-2)

10. MBC “Find Me in Your Memory” - Kim Dong-wook (+7)

Source: https://instagram.com/gooddata_official

Hi everyone! The World of the Married / A Couple's World has brought me out of hiding. I binge watched the first 8 episodes, and am now up to date to episode 10, and have since read all of the posts in this thread. There have been so much insightful commentary and speculation by all of you here about the characters, the firey chemistry between them, and the excellent acting of all the main actors and actresses. It's been fascinating trying to figure out these characters, especially Sun Woo and Tae Oh, and decipher what motives they have for acting the way they do. This drama has brought back so many personal experiences and emotions from my previous relationships and I can't help but to join the discussion and add my two cents. I'll hide my paragraphs in spoilers, for anyone who hasn't watched up to ep 10!

1) Sun Woo & Tae Oh.

Spoiler

It's only been getting harder to figure these two out. Sometimes in life, we might forever be tied to that one person and no matter how hard we try, we are still drawn to them despite all the hurts they have caused us. I have been mulling with this idea for so many years in my life and I wonder if this drama is going to prove this point. As In Kyu said to Tae Oh, "What you have for Sun Woo is love" which sounds so contrary to all of Tae Oh's scary actions thus far. Yet it was always Sun Woo he wanted to be with for life. Was it because deep down he really loved her for who she was (despite having to depend on her), that she was his first love (who knows?), she is the mother of his one and only son? Can this kind of love really turn into a deep, true hatred? Love can make us foolish -- we want to blame other people, other things, other circumstances for a failed relationship, rather than admitting that it was really a problem with our lover, or ourselves. In this case, Tae Oh seems to naively want to blame Sun Woo for everything and get back at her even though he deeply loves her? Alas, the psychology of a sociopath is hard to understand. But at the root of it all, everyone just wants to be loved unconditionally. When we feel like the person we love doesn't love us back or when they're ignoring us, we do things to get their attention and to get a reaction because ultimately, a reaction from them would mean that they still care, and that's what we really want to know. And perhaps this is what Tae Oh is thirsting for -- continued reactions to confirm that Sun Woo still cares about him. After all, the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. 

Related to this, up until episode 8, I really thought that Sun Woo had no more love for Tae Oh and she was content to live in Gosan with her son, continue working, etc. I was honestly surprised to see her rewatching the video footage from their wedding photo shoot. Perhaps seeing Tae Oh after 2 years has reminded her of everything that she perhaps tried to repress, rather than going to counselling to resolve her wounds and past traumas. I guess it is only natural to reminisce on the past and on happier times. Yet confusingly, Tae Oh's reaction to seeing Sun Woo rewatching the footage seems to be mostly rage. I would have expected a secret smile. I can't remember but maybe he gave a bit of a scoff of disbelief, like after all that's conspired between us, you're watching whaaaa? But that could just be me making up my own scenes. :P

Could there be a reconciliation if they each realize and admit their parts in their marriage breakdown? If Tae Oh could truly admit his vulnerabilities (and love) to Sun Woo and apologize and repent for all of the illegal, wrong, and unethical things that he did (especially stealing the money) (which all stemmed from him feeling inferior to his wife and wanting to be more successful so that he could fulfill more of a breadwinner role in the family)... if Tae Oh could change his views of relationships and twisted ideas about gender norms (i.e., cheating is wrong even if you feel attracted and a different kind of love for another woman)... if Sun Woo could come to see how she might have been overbearing in their marriage and not appreciative of the things that Tae Oh DID do (mostly spend time with their son and make him feel loved)... perhaps the two could really reconcile? Perhaps the red string that ties the two together can never be cut, and that is what marriage is about (minus all the abuse of course)? Sometimes two people can become worst explosion when they collide, yet they're also the perfect storm together.

2) Jae Hyuk & Ye Rim.

Spoiler

Their relationship has been so interesting. I was initially so glad to see that the two engaged in couples therapy, and so heartbroken when Jae Hyuk was just putting on an act. Was he still seeing other women during therapy then?? I don't know if I missed it or if it was implied. One thing that did seem genuine to me was how much they both agreed that to dislike/stay away from Tae Oh, but even that was somewhat put into question when Tae Oh returned to town. 

I can't help but feel bad for Jae Hyuk, even though he had done so much wrong to his wife. It did seem like he finally became genuine toward Ye Rim when he decided to try to have kids. I guess I am all for giving second chances, but it's asking a lot when it's third, fourth, fifth chances. Ye Rim was able to come to terms with this (rather quickly? at the same time, also not, considering their relationship history) and finally ask for a divorce. I feel so bad for her because she endured so much all these years knowing the cheating ways of her husband and she finally waited for her husband to come around (although part of it was out of pride too). Jae Hyuk should really learn his lesson this time, and ultimately, the writers should give him the consequences he deserves. If they divorce, perhaps there is a chance for reconciliation years down the road? Am I too optimistic and too attached to this "red string" idea?? :P

1 hour ago, poppie said:

OMO !! Baek Ji Young will sing the 6th part of the OST. It will be released on 1st May.  If I am not mistaken, at 6. pm (korean hour):wub:

I guess the title is 사랑했던 날들 (translation Days I Loved)

http://daily.hankooki.com/lpage/entv/202004/dh20200428105554139020.htm

Excited to hear this news... havent heard anything from her for a long time..... looking forward to it....

4 hours ago, 29bellevie said:

This drama has brought back so many personal experiences and emotions from my previous relationships and I can't help but to join the discussion and add my two cents.

My dear Chingu, I like your positive reviews and analysis on these two couples, perhaps it was because your POV was based on your past personal experience. :wub:

The "red string" has to be held long enough by both sides to stay strong, just like : A great marriage is not when the ‘perfect couple’ comes together, it is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy and embrace their differences.

If SW/TO divorce happens in this real world, it is very difficult for them to reconcile but if their mutual understanding is to help their son's future development, they may be able to maintain as friendship in future.

If JK/YR happens in this real world, it is still possible for them to reconcile provided the husband has sincerely shown genuine actions by doing self-reflection and self-improvement. There must be a corrective action shown by him.

My only concern for this drama is that, will there create even more hatred in the end for these 2 couples, can they have lesson learnt on the last ep? 

I could see the “anger-hate-resentment-jealousy” emotions exposed in this drama and this became very toxic to the relationship at the end. Same as you, i hope to see positive light at the end of the tunnel. :D

@29bellevie I am also joining rather late this thread, I never thought that this drama would be so great because of the topic.

I haven't watched all the episodes yet like you (episode 6), but after reading your analysis about the couple SW and TO, I couldn't help myself to reply to your long post.

Saying that SW is partially responsible for TO's behavior is quite something. Due to his inferiority complex and the need to become a real breadwinner, he embezzled money and cheated on his wife. We have to wonder why he got married to SW in the first place. Was it really love, like he said? Actually, I have the impression that TO knew SW's personality: she was hardworking and was a good doctor. So he could rely on her and the most important thing is that she was without any family. Don't you find it weird about the timing? He only proposed to her, after she got pregnant? But SW wasn't even inclined to accept his proposal, only after she heard his words and song: "my only one love". Deep down, SW wanted to have a family and feel loved. That's why she accepted the proposal... because of love. And since he used the same song with the mistress, we have to question if his words were true back then... I actually doubt it. SW had no parents to oppose her marriage, yet I am inclined to believe that TO had not such a good reputation either. His father had abandoned him and he was raised by his mother. Furthermore look how he was treated at the exhibition. His father's name made not people become pleased or eager to get to know him. He was just a nobody.

Then you wrote :

if Sun Woo could come to see how she might have been overbearing in their marriage and not appreciative of the things that Tae Oh DID do (mostly spend time with their son and make him feel loved)

Remember that TO was forced that year to join the baseball camp and he had failed the year before. He had forgotten it but his wife knew the importance of the event for her son hence he had no choice to go with his son. Then what we saw from their interactions between the first episode and episode 6, is that SW took care of everything. She was the one who picked YJ up from school, she was the one who had to pick him up from cram school. She paid attention to her son's grads. What did TO do all this time?

He always acted as the nice guy. He never acted like a responsible parent, but did fun things with his son that's why the son didn't want to leave his father. The father always took the son's side (getting tutoring in maths...) and let SW be the "bad parent", the one who is serious and strict. In other words, he played the nice guy so that SW was forced into playing the role of the "strict and no so fun mother". The son never saw the actions of the father in the correct light. While they were watching the baseball game, neither TO nor YJ paid attention to SW. Both of them took her actions for granted. Both of them relied on her in reality. This didn't surprise me that YJ would side with the father in the first place. In his son's eyes, TO was fun and YJ would have a great time... but did TO pay attention to YJ's grades? No... did he take care of his son after school? No, but he could have... as he left his office at 5 pm. And I am sure, he could have done it before he started cheating on her. 

So if TO had won the divorce... he would have left YJ in DK's care. He would have kept his reputation as "fun father", while DK would have hurt YJ with her remarks and focused on her own child. TO would have ignored everything and acted as if he knew nothing.

The second remark is: "SW was overbearing". If TO had a problem with her, he could have talked to her but he never did. In the beginning, you see how meticulous she is with the shoes, the apron, how annoyed she gets, when she sees her husband eating. From the way I see it is that her actions revealed how suffocated and overworked she was. If everything is in order, it means less work for her.

For me, her behavior in the beginning reveals that her "perfect world" is just a facade. She was already tired but the love and the sex with her husband were like the medicines that kept her going. She did everything for him and their son therefore she could only find her happiness in those things (cooking, picking up the son, taking care of her mother-in-law, preparing a huge party for her husband etc.). The main reason why I am disagreeing with this statement is that SW was never allowed to have fun all this time. TO forced her to become perfect as TO as well YJ relied on her all the time. TO knew about her trauma but he didn't allow her to get treated as she was the breadwinner. TO took care of the child as SW had to work but as soon as she had enough money, he asked to have his own company that's why he stopped taking care of his son. He literally dropped everything on SW and could now enjoy his time with his son by being the nice guy, the one who can have fun with him without taking any responsibility.

This is no wonder that SW has never overcome her marriage and divorce as she has found no real reason to live. She needed her son by her side in order to live but this is not enough. She needs to live for herself that's what she needed to learn. She thought, her work and her son would be enough... and she has to realize that she was wrong. Actually, this drama is showing us that marriage should never be a goal in life, a reason to live... because the marriage can end in a divorce. 

Archived