[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Rattan 司藤

sugarplum892

@tulip06 Wow E23-24 brought so many relevations to the viewers. I hope you managed to get to watch somewhere, somehow.

Spoiler

1) Qian Fang is not related to Bai Ying, he is the descendent of a tree, (according to translation, it's a Sky Tree - good news, there won't be any akwards relationships with Si Teng. The bad news is at mid-point of E24, he is still comatose, he was thrown off a balcony by a jealous Bai Ying and surprisingly survived though with massive injuries to his bones.

2) Our master with the black fan turned into a bird, I suspect he is not human to begin with. He had a confrontation with Bai Ying, and was thrown off a building, halfway down the building he turned into a bird to save himself.

3) Qiu Shan has a vendetta against the Yi tribe because he was once in love with their kind. But the lady/Yi person masacred his master and the people in his clan. From then on, he has lost all trust for their race.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, creidesca said:

@SC2019

Reveal hidden contents

The tree you mentioned...it is the tree that Si Teng as a vine attached/lived off of before being turned human by Qiu Shan. So Qiu Shan created 2 beings without realizing it.

that’s what it looks like... kinda explains the symbiotic relationship between Qin Fang and Si Teng and addresses the morality claise in marrying your ********

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

7 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@tulip06 Wow E23-24 brought so many relevations to the viewers. I hope you managed to get to watch somewhere, somehow.

Reveal hidden contents

1) Qian Fang is not related to Bai Ying, he is the descendent of a tree, (according to translation, it's a Sky Tree - good news, there won't be any akwards relationships with Si Teng. The bad news is at mid-point of E24, he is still comatose, he was thrown off a balcony by a jealous Bai Ying and surprisingly survived though with massive injuries to his bones.

2) Our master with the black fan turned into a bird, I suspect he is not human to begin with. He had a confrontation with Bai Ying, and was thrown off a building, halfway down the building he turned into a bird to save himself.

3) Qiu Shan has a vendetta against the Yi tribe because he was once in love with their kind. But the lady/Yi person masacred his master and the people in his clan. From then on, he has lost all trust for their race.

But its make me confuse,if Qin fang same with Si Teng why he same likes human and dont realize that he is yi clan?

• Like 2

@tulip06 here's how she found out...

Spoiler

Qin Fang from a balconey, about 2-3 stories high and I thought he was a goner for sure. He was in the ICU or a special ward and in there she tried to use her powers to heal him. But she couldn't, it was as if something inside was repelling her powers. And when she was inside, she saw a flashback of how she had been turned from a tree into a little child (just like what we saw in earlier episodes) but this time round, The huge tree that she as a rattan had been using to creep up (to get the sun right at the top, so sometimes they do these at the expense of the plant they are creeping round) then also transformed and became Qin Fang. But the funny thing is it wasn't a boy but the adult version, just like the Qin Fang we know that appeared. Then, she was repelled out of his mind and there, we see her muttering that Qin Fang is not related to Bai Ying but is the plant she used to creep up. 

However as @Fenny Liong pointed out, we have been left in the dark as to how come he recalls nothing and knows nothing about his origins.

@SilverDawn I think if you look at the illustration for Episode 29-30... we get a hint of the ending (see spoiler below). So, Qin Fang should be fine, somehow and all will be revealed as to why he knows not. Also, such a great way to wrap things up. (you know the chinese saying, wooden door with wooden door). @English Tofu so, yah... alls well ends well I reckon.

Spoiler

Capture5277e8465908742f.jpg

@maryly09 we are only allowed to give you official legal sites. 

• Insightful 1
  • Wiggle 1

I had started yesterday only and finished the 12 subbed ones and raw ep.13.  I like it very much.  Both JT and VZ are super cute as master and assistant.  The cinematography is superb and the OST's too.  I cried how ST was mistreated by her master. VZ is so handsome in this show.

Here are some pics from weibo

2Q7FB8J.jpg

K5LIwGT.jpg

5s7bMc5.jpg

Spoiler

D3CTHD6.jpg

zqP8px2.jpg

RRRP92D.jpg

Cr: weibo

Edited by Jillia
Please put more than 3 pics/IGs in spoiler tags, thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

22 hours ago, English Tofu said:

Zhang Binbin used live radio to record his lines. That’s his real voice (Flame’s daughter and King’s Woman were overdubbed). He often use his real voice, I mean, that’s some deep sexy voice to be overdubbed eh? His neutral mandarin is learned/acquired as Wuxi is his native dialect, so next to the popular female dubber who overdubbed Si Teng, there’s a slight mismatch as hers was perfect-soundjng studio dubbed and she is professional dubber. Jing Tian initially dubbed with her own voice but the sirector found her voice to sweet for Si Teng. The other support actors use their own voice.

I had a feeling she was overdubbed. There really is a distinct difference in sound quality when it shifts from QF talking to her.  I wish they found a way, maybe she could have lowered her voice, so it's still her. It disrupts the flow a bit and it sounds unnatural.

Thank you to those who gave explanations and spoilers.  Helps understand what's going on.

But I am a bit confused...

Spoiler

How is QF the same as that tree? He has a traceable history  with his grandparents, parents etc... Maybe he is a descendant of that tree and just looks the same?

I had a feeling there was something different about him bec Chisan didn't revive even with her husband's blood so not just anyone's blood will do...so either there was a connection between QF and ST, which was supported by earlier theory that he is a descendant of BY's child ...or there was something special and not quite human about him, which will be supported by him being partly Yi...Come to think of it, he must not be the same being (fully Yi) as that tree bec his blood is red and like the usual human unike ST's which is green and Chisan had bad smelling and weird blood too. So maybe he is a descendant so has some of their genes but also part human...Just theories...I've only seen the raw episodes to ep 21 so far...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pad-hari said:

I had started yesterday only and finished the 12 subbed ones and raw ep.13.  I like it very much.  Both JT and VZ are super cute as master and assistant.  The cinematography is superb and the OST's too.  I cried how ST was mistreated by her master. VZ is so handsome in this show.

Here are some pics from weibo

2Q7FB8J.jpg

K5LIwGT.jpg

5s7bMc5.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

D3CTHD6.jpg

zqP8px2.jpg

RRRP92D.jpg

Cr: weibo

Vin Zhang is handsome in Pretty Li Hui Zhen, King’s Woman, Flame’s Daughter, I Will Never Let You Go, even in that horrible drama of his Love is Fate, however, here he has what they call role filter... the role they portray makes them improve your perception of the actor compred to his previous RickRoll'D roles.

1 hour ago, cdcotr said:

I had a feeling she was overdubbed. There really is a distinct difference in sound quality when it shifts from QF talking to her.  I wish they found a way, maybe she could have lowered her voice, so it's still her. It disrupts the flow a bit and it sounds unnatural.

Thank you to those who gave explanations and spoilers.  Helps understand what's going on.

Reveal hidden contents

How is QF the same as that tree? He has a traceable history  with his grandparents, parents etc... Maybe he is a descendant of that tree and just looks the same?

I had a feeling there was something different about him bec Chisan didn't revive even with her husband's blood so not just anyone's blood will do...so either there was a connection between QF and ST, which was supported by earlier theory that he is a descendant of BY's child ...or there was something special and not quite human about him, which will be supported by him being partly Yi...Come to think of it, he must not be the same being (fully Yi) as that tree bec his blood is red and like the usual human unike ST's which is green and Chisan had bad smelling and weird blood too. So maybe he is a descendant so has some of their genes but also part human...Just theories...I've only seen the raw episodes to ep 21 so far...

I have a feeling they really had a hard time twisting the plot to rationalize Qin Fang’s existence... the original plot really was the best for me as Bai Ying’s descendant.... but in the book, there wasn’t much romance, Qin Fang can’t even hold Si Teng’s hands. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, maryly09 said:

Does anyone know any places where i could watch this drama? Besides viki, youtube, and iqiyi? I'm going crazy here.

Nope, I searched online for other sources. Guess we'll just have to practice patience ... :S

• LOL 1

@SC2019 I wonder then if wafang is Baiying’s descendant? Someone should be, right?

32 minutes ago, SilverDawn said:

Nope, I searched online for other sources. Guess we'll just have to practice patience ... :S

Iqiyi emailed me they don’t have it anymore because of copyright. So weird. They had 22 episodes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tulip06 said:

@SC2019 I wonder then if wafang is Baiying’s descendant? Someone should be, right?

Iqiyi emailed me they don’t have it anymore because of copyright. So weird. They had 22 episodes!

Thanks for sharing the info.  Copyright has to be bought per country in most cases. Which episode were you on before they pulled it?

• Like 1

@tulip06... ok so here's the explanation

Spoiler

E25 was a bit dragged out. In short, Yan Fu Rui and the young guy (the one who is extremely scientific and whose master is the leader for the Xuan Men clan) put up a show to apparently trick Bai Ying when she appears in the house. Qian Fang has been moved to his own house but he is still comatose. After one entire episode of clowning around, in E26, Bai Ying takes over the body of the old Master and gets into Qin Fang's house. Luckily, Si Teng prior to this asked the old master to find a device that can track down the Yi Clan people. By lighting a piece of rattan in the device, it has an arm that will point in the direction of Bai Ying. So the two 'clowns' now know that the Old Master is actually Bai Ying (she can disguise herself as others). Bai Ying breaks into the room which contains the comatose Qian Fang and tries to harm him to force Si Teng out. Lo and behold, Si Teng appears (she took on the appearance of Qin Fang and has been lying in the bed all this while). 

Si Teng manages to capture Bai Ying quite effortlessly, wrapping her up in rattan. And transfers Bai Ying's energy to Qin Fang. Little by little, colour returns to his face and he seems to be breathing quite normally now. But Bai Ying chides Si Teng for trying to save Qin Fang by drawing on her (Bai Ying's) energy and reminds her that Si Teng told her off for placing fate in love. Si Teng asks Bai Ying what has happened in the 7 odd years to turn Bai Ying from a hopeless romantic to such a cold-hearted person. So, she enters Bai Ying's memory and we see what has happened after Bai Ying kills Si Teng.

During the wedding night, Shao Yan Kuan makes empty promises about loving her only. A short while later he marries another woman home. Bai Ying, distraught, kills her one night. But I suppose in that era, with his wealth, she can get away with it. He is aghast and tells her to stay away from him. However, one night, after she cajoles him, he softens and takes her to bed. A short while later she is pregnant. Then one night, she (unexplained) tails him and overheards his conversation with Qiu Shan. Bedding her was Qiu Shan's idea, in return, Qiu Shan would give him money, presumably to offer Yan Kuan's ailing business, more so as the war is fast approaching. We hear Qiu Shan saying that when Bai Ying gives birth, she will be at her weakest and can then be easily destroyed. She is horrified and goes back to the warehouse where she killed Si Teng. She claws and kowtows at the ground, apologising in tears to Si Teng for not listening to her. Despite her manic grief, she realises that Si Teng's body has been preserved. 

She then hatches a plan to bring her back to life. She sends instructions to the trishaw puller family to wait for 70-80 years (thinking that by then Qiu Shan and the Xuan Men would be long dead and unable to hunt them down) and only then to bring Qin Fang (or next of kin) to the place where Si Teng is burried to resurrect her. She then goes to the forest and somehow she knows that the 'Sky Tree' also is transformed into a human being. And sees Qin Fang's ancestors (looks exactly the same as Qin Fang) and a human wife, and a baby. We hear her thinking aloud that the sky tree descendent's blood is able to resurrect Si Teng. She kills the parents, takes the baby and brings this baby to the Qin family, getting them to adopt the baby, and informing them that every generation (or 2 gens down?) has to go to Dana to offer thanks. Her plan to resurrect Si Teng is in place now.

She then waits for her baby to be due, uses her power to cause herself to go into labour, and then waits for herself to be killed by the Xuan Men trio. But with her dying breath, she says "I will be back!" [ all this while, Si Teng is watching Bai Ying's memories being replayed. And I feel that from a place of anger, for hurting Qian Fang, she now feels sorrow for Bai Ying and the pain she had to experience.]

Whoever who asked who is Bai Ying's baby - she says the baby died, killed at the hands of the Xuan Men people. And now we know why Qian Fang got to where he was and doesn't know his actual ancestry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@SC2019

Spoiler

If I recall (based on the novel), Si Teng tricked both Fu Rui & Qian Kun into thinking the plan was for Qian Kun to pretend to be Si Teng. So Fu Rui seeing Qian Kun will see Si Teng, but when he hears the voice, he knows it is not Si Teng. That's why Qian Kun was so confused when he can still himself as a male dressed as Si Teng. What Si Teng has actually done is put a spell on the entire house (the eye design on the door of the house; by having that there, people will look at it and be put under the spell) so that Si Teng can become Qin Fang. Bai Ying isn't fooled by Fu Rui and Qian Kun, but she completely missed out on Si Teng being Qin Fang (as Qin Fang was barely breathing, Si Teng placed him in a closet of the bedroom while she pretends to be Qin Fang on the bed). Bai Ying could only distinguish one breath and not both of their breaths, thereby believes Si Teng isn't there.

• Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cdcotr said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

To answer your question: 

In episode 24,  it is revealed that the tree turned into or grew a person that looks QF. In ep. 26,  that tree person had a child with a human. BaiYing found them in the forest, killed the parents and took the baby. She gave the baby to QF’s grandpa to raise. She knew that the descendants of the tree would help revive Siteng. She wanted to wait 80 yrs for the sects who are currently hunting her would all be dead by then. 

So QF is descended from a tree. And he looks exactly like his tree ancestor. I am unsure if the tree person had any persona because he was killed pretty easily by Baiying. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SilverDawn said:

Thanks for sharing the info.  Copywright has to be bought per country in most cases. Which episode were you on before they pulled it?

I was on 22! There are 30 total. So it’s weird they suddenly lost copyright.

3 hours ago, SC2019 said:

@tulip06... ok so here's the explanation

Hide contents

E25 was a bit dragged out. In short, Yan Fu Rui and the young guy (the one who is extremely scientific and whose master is the leader for the Xuan Men clan) put up a show to apparently trick Bai Ying when she appears in the house. Qian Fang has been moved to his own house but he is still comatose. After one entire episode of clowning around, in E26, Bai Ying takes over the body of the old Master and gets into Qin Fang's house. Luckily, Si Teng prior to this asked the old master to find a device that can track down the Yi Clan people. By lighting a piece of rattan in the device, it has an arm that will point in the direction of Bai Ying. So the two 'clowns' now know that the Old Master is actually Bai Ying (she can disguise herself as others). Bai Ying breaks into the room which contains the comatose Qian Fang and tries to harm him to force Si Teng out. Lo and behold, Si Teng appears (she took on the appearance of Qin Fang and has been lying in the bed all this while). 

Si Teng manages to capture Bai Ying quite effortlessly, wrapping her up in rattan. And transfers Bai Ying's energy to Qin Fang. Little by little, colour returns to his face and he seems to be breathing quite normally now. But Bai Ying chides Si Teng for trying to save Qin Fang by drawing on her (Bai Ying's) energy and reminds her that Si Teng told her off for placing fate in love. Si Teng asks Bai Ying what has happened in the 7 odd years to turn Bai Ying from a hopeless romantic to such a cold-hearted person. So, she enters Bai Ying's memory and we see what has happened after Bai Ying kills Si Teng.

During the wedding night, Shao Yan Kuan makes empty promises about loving her only. A short while later he marries another woman home. Bai Ying, distraught, kills her one night. But I suppose in that era, with his wealth, she can get away with it. He is aghast and tells her to stay away from him. However, one night, after she cajoles him, he softens and takes her to bed. A short while later she is pregnant. Then one night, she (unexplained) tails him and overheards his conversation with Qiu Shan. Bedding her was Qiu Shan's idea, in return, Qiu Shan would give him money, presumably to offer Yan Kuan's ailing business, more so as the war is fast approaching. We hear Qiu Shan saying that when Bai Ying gives birth, she will be at her weakest and can then be easily destroyed. She is horrified and goes back to the warehouse where she killed Si Teng. She claws and kowtows at the ground, apologising in tears to Si Teng for not listening to her. Despite her manic grief, she realises that Si Teng's body has been preserved. 

She then hatches a plan to bring her back to life. She sends instructions to the trishaw puller family to wait for 70-80 years (thinking that by then Qiu Shan and the Xuan Men would be long dead and unable to hunt them down) and only then to bring Qin Fang (or next of kin) to the place where Si Teng is burried to resurrect her. She then goes to the forest and somehow she knows that the 'Sky Tree' also is transformed into a human being. And sees Qin Fang's ancestors (looks exactly the same as Qin Fang) and a human wife, and a baby. We hear her thinking aloud that the sky tree descendent's blood is able to resurrect Si Teng. She kills the parents, takes the baby and brings this baby to the Qin family, getting them to adopt the baby, and informing them that every generation (or 2 gens down?) has to go to Dana to offer thanks. Her plan to resurrect Si Teng is in place now.

She then waits for her baby to be due, uses her power to cause herself to go into labour, and then waits for herself to be killed by the Xuan Men trio. But with her dying breath, she says "I will be back!" [ all this while, Si Teng is watching Bai Ying's memories being replayed. And I feel that from a place of anger, for hurting Qian Fang, she now feels sorrow for Bai Ying and the pain she had to experience.]

Whoever who asked who is Bai Ying's baby - she says the baby died, killed at the hands of the Xuan Men people. And now we know why Qian Fang got to where he was and doesn't know his actual ancestry. 

Wow, Bai Ying can plan! Thank you.  Amazing how these Yi clan know so much about each other.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1