[Mainland Chinese Drama 2021] Rattan 司藤

sugarplum892

Oh my....E17 just made a revelation about Dan Zhi Gang.... 

Spoiler

You know how no one knows that happened to Qiu Shan, even his disciple said he went out one day and disappeared. So, he found a pearl-like thingie and ate it which transformed him into the appearance of Dan Zhi Gang... which is why he was so antagonistic towards Si Teng.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

14 hours ago, Fenny Liong said:

I curious about one think,is when Qin Fang start to love Si Teng..they interaction with each other towards romantic feeling is little I Saw...

Wait for it... ;) I think there's more to them then what has been revealed so far. 

I like it that QF does not fall for her very early on, even though she is stunning and sure wears that qipao very well...

• Like 3

I’m on iqiyi’s terrible subs, so when Chisan says Si Teng’s powers have been snatched from other clans, does she mean by Si Teng killing other Clan Yi members?

And pretty trash of Qui Shan to never teach Yan Fu Rui any trade secrets or powers.

@tulip06 Yes...

Spoiler

it's explained in a recounting later on. She was brought up by the evil sifu. And he obviously didn't teach her ethics or morality. So she didn't realise what she was doing was wrong. But a few episodes down the road, there was a scene which showed her attacking one of her own kind and that 'kind' was asking her why she is 'exterminating' her own race. Si Teng was stunned by that question.... it was a realisation about her actions. Unfortunately the evil sifu turned up and finished the job for her and called her a useless person for not even being able to get the job done...

:gangnamstyle:after watching the end of E22... (I am screaming)

Spoiler

Si Teng and Qin Fang are at his house and he has set up a projector screen which they are watching while he makes her BBQ-ed food. There is a scene of a man and a woman kissing underwater. Si Teng comments "there are many ways to save the girl, why does he have to kiss her" and Qin Fang comments "you don't understand, this is the act of being romantic" and she tells him "I know". She gets up, bends forward and kisses him. He is so shocked and she opens her eyes to watch his reaction. He eventually closes his eyes to savour the moment and a short while later, so does she.

Edited: Ok, so Bai Ying (was buried beneath the lake) and she pulled Qin Fang into the water. This was in E21 when Si Teng wanted to re-combine both their bodies/souls and they went hunting for where Bai Ying was burried. So, the kissing scene (as described above) wasn't what triggered the kiss. Qin Fang said when he was pulled into the water, and drowning, he thought about something. And that something was being kissed/saved underwater by Si Teng. So Si Teng said, "I have many ways of saving you, why does it have to be kissing you underwater?" And the rest of the reply is what I descibed above.

• Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 2

I’m on 16, and I don’t get the deal with the middle aged woman and her having rattan powers. What is that about, can someone explain, please?

and, maybe @SC2019

Spoiler

okay, and now I’m on episode 19 in iqiyi which might be two weeks from now in YouTube, so can someone explain Bai Ying’s plan for the baby in the first part? I can’t follow at all! The subs suck. 

@tulip06 this is a brief answer to your question

Spoiler

I can only give you my understanding of the story. do note that my Mandarin isn't at its most proficient....

The lady who has the so-called powers is the descendent of the trishaw puller (from E01). He was tasked to move to that Dana place and guard the body of Si Teng, if you can recall. To make him 'obey' her, Si Teng's (I would call her) alter ego (in one of the episodes we saw Si Teng having a conversation with her reflection in the mirror but this reflection stepped out of the mirror and took on its own form and shape) fed the trishaw puller the 'rattan' and that is how this lady (the grand-daugther) has this so-called powers. She was tasked to carry out certain orders from the alter ego within a certain period of time, which is why we saw her carrying some body into the forest and being utterly dismayed that Si Teng's body was no longer there.

As for the baby, I haven't been following the sequence and watched the start of E19 because you wanted to know what was going on. Essentially, she caused Qin Fang's grandmother to become barren, so that they would adopt her child and care/love for the baby w/out any competition from any other child. In that scene, she reveals that Qin Fang is really the descendent of her alter ego (Ms Bai Yin). Ms Bai Yin had found a way to ingratiate herself with Qin Fang's grandfather who I believe was in the cloth weaving industry (at a time when he needed financial assistance, she appeared as the representative of some Weaving Association and managed to wipe off all the debt that Qin Fang's grandfather had accumulated). She then maintained ties with the Qin family eventhough she was pregnant with Shao Yan Kuan's child. She would often leave the Shao family for days (to build ties with the Qin family). When she was due, she delivered the child prematurely and made sure the baby was adopted by the Qin family. I think Qin Fang's grandfather had palpitations and using a provincial doctor's medicine to treat the palpitation, she added something that would make Qin Fang's grandmother barren. Si Teng says as a human, you might think that what Bai Ying did was very cruel. Qin Fang asks her what she would have done, had it been her. Si Teng says she wouldn't have taken such elaborate steps. After all, if one has to live, it should be to lead a happy life, or else it would have been better to simply die. Qin Fang is aghast at his blood ties and asks her why she had to come clean with him and describe his past so vividly. She says because he should know/deserves to know his past ancestry.

Edited by SC2019
added in more details into Qin Fang's background
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 2

@tulip06 

Spoiler

Yes, so I got a chance to rewatch the part where the mid-aged lady explains the instructions she was supposed to carry out. It is supposedly at certain intervals whereby the descendents of the trishaw puller (Jia Shan) is supposed to look out for someone with the surname of Qin who will come to Dana. And that descendent is supposed to bring this person to the forest where the body is buried. And if the person doesn't show up, the descendent is then to go to a place (yuhang?) and look for someone named Qin.

The descendents of Qin were then told that they had to go to Dana to offer their gratitude to someone who had once saved/adopted/taken care of their ancestor (in this case it's Qin Fang's grandmother, if I  recall correctly). In this way, the descendents of Qin would appear in Dana. The whole purpose of this was to resurrect Si Teng's body so that Bai Ying can have a physical body to inhabit (I think? but not explained as yet).

As Si Teng summarised, in short, the Jia family took care of Si Teng's remains while the Bai family took care of Bai Ying's remains. And the poem in Qin Fang's grandfather's house with some description of a tour by the lake was a message to Si Teng of where Bai Ying's body is located.

And yes, the romantic relationship becomes somewhat strange: Qin Fang is not a cousin, but the grand-nephew of Si Teng. Because Si Teng and Bai Ying are sisters (of sorts). And Qin Fang is Bai Ying's grandson, if I am not mistaken...

But I think this story is like a fantasied story of what if people who had disassociative identities or multiple personality disorders experienced those personalities taking shape and form and appearing physically?

• Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

@SC2019 Since Bai Ying was a separate entity, like a twin, or a plant reproducing itself, I think we can say Qin Feng is a great nephew. It is weird to have romance, but people married distant cousins once... 

Okay, still weird, maybe because QF is the descendant of an identical twin.

@tulip06 I haven't quite figured that out. But all along I suspect that he isn't as powerless as he claims. Remember there was the phone conversation when he first spoke to Si Teng and she accurately described the fan he was holding, yet he denied that he had it. There is certainly more than meets the eye, but what I don't know as yet.

I kind of feel bad for those who have been waiting for this drama but can't enjoy it real-time. I think the only subs is a group of volunteers and my dad who is waiting for the subs says it's moving along but at a slow pace. So, it seems like there's only two of us who have kinda caught up with the latest episodes but the rest have to wait.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SC2019 said:

I kind of feel bad for those who have been waiting for this drama but can't enjoy it real-time. I think the only subs is a group of volunteers and my dad who is waiting for the subs says it's moving along but at a slow pace. So, it seems like there's only two of us who have kinda caught up with the latest episodes but the rest have to wait.

And the iqiyi subs are really just an auto translate, so it’s not that easy half the time to understand. It’s not the same as decent subs.  For me, it’s like I’m watching the drama raw with a little understanding here and there, and then going back later with subs.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, tulip06 said:

And the iqiyi subs are really just an auto translate, so it’s not that easy half the time to understand. It’s not the same as decent subs.  For me, it’s like I’m watching the drama raw with a little understanding here and there, and then going back later with subs.

Try Viki, it has decent subs, but the pace is a bit slow. :)

On 3/25/2021 at 9:04 PM, tulip06 said:

So, our live-streamer Xuanman, he has a black fan that seems to collect power. What’s that about?

Hello to the thread! 

I got sucked into this series that I'm rushing ahead even without the eng subs. I even watched the live premiere of the episodes with eng subs a couple of times! LOL I've never done that before.  But I'm hooked into the mystery and both leads were chosen well. They're doing great with their roles, as well as Yang Fiuren (?) and the little boy. They're great too.

Did they dub the actors with voice actors? Maybe not everyone... I wonder which ones are dubbed? The kid isn't I think. And sometimes like when they were outside the cave, the audio echoes and seemed to have been recorded live from the site and not dubbed after with voice actors...which is great. I really would rather hear their own voices...

I think that black fan is his weapon or tool, like the spear is for the oldest, the mallets for the hot-headed guy and didn't really see what the realtor and the bald guy had but I know they had brought it. One was a pocket watch I think...

I think he downplayed his abilities a bit or maybe he isn't as strong as the others but I think he was just more cautious than the others and tended to question things before going full speed ahead. He seemed a bit suspicious of the girl's motives while the others blindly accepted her suggestions. He also didn't want to kill Si Tang upon sight IIRC.

I liked his character and hope he comes back.

One other thing I've been loving about this drama are the locations. The scenery is beautiful and isn't the usual that I've seen, not even in the historical, wuxia dramas.  I wonder where they shot them, I don't even know the name of the places except for Dana, but is that even a real place or fictional? The scenes in the mountains where there weren't bamboo trees even reminded me of Canada a bit. The architecture of the different dwellings were also very interesting and very different from each other.  QF's house by the sea or lake has an awesome view.

I watched up to ep 12 with subs and so I can kinda follow along with the next raw ones. Also some comments on YT also helped explain things and the posts here referring to the novel.  SO thanks for that!

I've watched till ep 19 raw and it's almost 4am and I am so tempted to go ahead and watch till 22...

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Wiggle 1

5 hours ago, cdcotr said:

Hello to the thread! 

I got sucked into this series that I'm rushing ahead even without the eng subs. I even watched the live premiere of the episodes with eng subs a couple of times! LOL I've never done that before.  But I'm hooked into the mystery and both leads were chosen well. They're doing great with their roles, as well as Yang Fiuren (?) and the little boy. They're great too.

Did they dub the actors with voice actors? Maybe not everyone... I wonder which ones are dubbed? The kid isn't I think. And sometimes like when they were outside the cave, the audio echoes and seemed to have been recorded live from the site and not dubbed after with voice actors...which is great. I really would rather hear their own voices...

I think that black fan is his weapon or tool, like the spear is for the oldest, the mallets for the hot-headed guy and didn't really see what the realtor and the bald guy had but I know they had brought it. One was a pocket watch I think...

I think he downplayed his abilities a bit or maybe he isn't as strong as the others but I think he was just more cautious than the others and tended to question things before going full speed ahead. He seemed a bit suspicious of the girl's motives while the others blindly accepted her suggestions. He also didn't want to kill Si Tang upon sight IIRC.

I liked his character and hope he comes back.

One other thing I've been loving about this drama are the locations. The scenery is beautiful and isn't the usual that I've seen, not even in the historical, wuxia dramas.  I wonder where they shot them, I don't even know the name of the places except for Dana, but is that even a real place or fictional? The scenes in the mountains where there weren't bamboo trees even reminded me of Canada a bit. The architecture of the different dwellings were also very interesting and very different from each other.  QF's house by the sea or lake has an awesome view.

I watched up to ep 12 with subs and so I can kinda follow along with the next raw ones. Also some comments on YT also helped explain things and the posts here referring to the novel.  SO thanks for that!

I've watched till ep 19 raw and it's almost 4am and I am so tempted to go ahead and watch till 22...

Zhang Binbin used live radio to record his lines. That’s his real voice (Flame’s daughter and King’s Woman were overdubbed). He often use his real voice, I mean, that’s some deep sexy voice to be overdubbed eh? His neutral mandarin is learned/acquired as Wuxi is his native dialect, so next to the popular female dubber who overdubbed Si Teng, there’s a slight mismatch as hers was perfect-soundjng studio dubbed and she is professional dubber. Jing Tian initially dubbed with her own voice but the sirector found her voice to sweet for Si Teng. The other support actors use their own voice.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1
  • Thanks 1