[Drama 2019-2020] Unasked Family / Down the flower path, 꽃길만 걸어요

0ly40

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this drama is back to following the standard K Drama formulas or tropes. I guess that is to be expected at this point.

Let’s see what we have so far and what to expect apart from the story ofcourse.

Spoiler

Misunderstanding Galore among the main leads. – Yewon already seems to mistake Chung Bong as a cheater. Not a good sign to be in a relationship. Understandable why she does but my only issue is that everyone that witnessed them might be slightly deaf. What I mean by this is that when he was visiting the restaurant with his sister they all thought that she was his wife. While it is understandable that they couldn’t see the family resemblance (due to a couple of reasons) but the sister kept calling him Oppa. Now I don’t know which wife would continue to call her husband like that. Perhaps when they were dating it makes sense but after marriage I would assume that they might become a bit more intimate and perhaps start calling each other Yeobo or something similar. Then again they might not be so comfortable to do so especially considering if they were newlywed or out of habit. I remember the show where Uee was married to her husband and he had to really coax her to call him Yeobo and stop referring to him as the company director and all. Thus if they go by that thinking I guess it is possible to give them a pass.

Love Triangle – It totally is weird if you don’t expect some sort of this in the dramas especially among the leads at some point. Well here we might just have a few. Naturally we are at the point where not everybody is aware of the situation since they haven’t realized this fact or had enough interactions between them. but let’s start with the most obvious. Yewon – Chung Bong – Suji. In this only the later seems to have started to fall for Chung Bong. This can also be seen from the trailer of the next episode when she decides to call him over instead of Jihun for help. Yes, it is quite possible that she is doing that since she doesn’t want things to get awkward between her Jihun since his proposal to date her was rebuffed. But I feel that it is more to do with her starting to feel something for him ever since she fell and he rescued her. Plus, like I said that he is pretty much like Jihun who isn’t afraid to talk back to her when she is wrong. She is starting to change but let’s see how well that lasts. As for the main leads they are still in the annoying each other faze for the time being. So it will be interesting to see how it develops from there.

Then another potential love triangle can be between the Biker Duo and Artist Girl (Chung Bong’s Sister) and Artist Girl – Jihun – Suji. Well at this point Artist Girl is in a one sided crush with Jihun who seems oblivious to it. But I guess she will want to move on when she realizes that he wants to be with Suji (for whatever reason). So it would be quite natural to fall for Biker Bro because he was the one that sort of rescued her. Well atleast he rescued the other worker there but she knows from her that someone saved her and she suspects it to be him. At this moment there is nothing between them but a few more interactions might change all that. Then we have the Biker Duo to consider. She seems to have developed some sort of crush on him ever since he rescued her and she even repaid him back when he forgot part of his delivery. (by the way that was a unreasonable customer in my opinion). But these two already share a secret between the two so it makes more sense for them to become an item. Unfortunately, social boundaries might prevent them from becoming so. She is still considered is In – Law to an extent so the familes might not be so willing to become double in laws. Then again Yewon is a widow so it might just depend to the extent how they see that relationship and might be okay with it. Plus, her MiL seems to see her more like a daughter so this relationship might just pass. Though either way someone is bound to be left alone as we seem to be short of one male for the remaining girl.

Truck Of Doom – Actually we should be considering it as a vehicle of doom since they can easily be busses and on a few occasions cars. Not that it is really important at this point but didn’t the reporter try and avoid an incoming bus when Jihun thought that they were playing Fast and The Furious which resulted in his accident and eventual Death.

Mean In Laws. – Sort of inverted since usually we have the mean MiL Yewon seems to be blessed with an equally understandable one. She may seem mean on the surface at times but in truth she seems more reasonable even though things don’t turn out the way she wants. She seems to take Yewon’s side and not only that but seems considerate about her feelings as well. She gets bonus points from me. As for the other In Laws (BiL and SiL) the SiL seems to be the only one that is slightly unreasonable and lazy. Sure Brother Bum is a Bum but he tries to even look out for Yewon such as trying to go out of his way to try and get a lawyer for her to help her out of her tight spot. He isn’t the smartest guy in town but he doesn’t try and use his rank or anything against her. The only time that he has wronged her is when he emotionally blackmailed his brother and took the money that they needed to use as a deposit for their new place. Otherwise his other issues are pretty much the same as how he treats his other family members so that is another story altogether.

Birth Secret – One of the biggest draws of the K Dramas is the birth secret that the main leads seem to be harboring which they themselves are usually unaware of. So far nothing has been hinted for them but Brother Bum is unaware that he has a daughter that is searching for him. So this can be partially considered as one. I feel bad for the mother and duo. It could make sense if the mother had passed away and the daughter was looking for her only remaining family member in Korea. But it turns out that the mother is still alive so I wonder how they will resolve this story. Since family is generally very important in these dramas I doubt that he is going to leave his current one and return to Vietnam to be with his wife/girlfriend over there. But his daughter is another matter altogether. So it probably will be that she will end up living with him by the end. If she can bring her mother to Korea will also be nice but somehow I feel if he actually cared about them he wouldn’t have abandoned them. It is safe to assume that he never knew that he had a daughter when he left her mother as is the norm for all these birth secrets. Problem here is that they will probably try and paint him in tragic way when the revelation will be revealed to them. For instance, he will probably give a story something along these lines. He loved the girl’s mother and promised to return to be with her once his business took off in Korea (that is after failing in Vietnam). The mother believed him and let him go but as we all know that none of his business ventures panned out even after returning so he couldn’t return to her. Just a small problem in this narrative which will be overlooked by these people is that if he genuinely cared about the mother he would have done his best to stay in touch with her. This is the digital age and he could easily have shared one of his accounts such as e-mails, video calls via smart phones or even some sort of social media format or even things like Viber, IMO or What’s App or whatever is their equalent in Korea (KoKo ???) Then again when do these characters ever use their heads like that.

As for other Tropes they haven’t had a chance to form. Such as characters losing important evidence because they failed to make backups or something to that extent since they don’t seem to realize their connections to each other at this point.

So let’s get on to other topic of the drama itself.

Since we have started with the part of a love triangle let’s try and figure out why Suji and Jihun haven’t been set up at once. Clearly those two or second leads does destined to end up together no matter what. We have also seen how Jihun has been cleaning up her messes all this time and also seems to know exactly where she is at all times since he has ways of keeping tabs on her and prior to her developing feelings for Chung Bong she always called him out whenever she needed anything (which as I have pointed out included her being in trouble or clearing up her messes). Not only that but as we saw at their last dinner date he knows exactly what she likes so in a way they do make a good match of sorts. But why does Suji not feel the same way as him. Unless he has a thing for Chung Bong’s sister. I had a hard time making out the other woman in his wallet was that a picture of him and the sister of him and SUji. I am assuming that it is the former but he plans to give up his love for the sake of his ambitions before he realizes that he does indeed like Suji thus that is the reason why he knows her so well. He developed feelings for her without even realizing it. But anyway back to Suji. I feel that she rejected him because while she appreciates all that he has done for her all this time she thinks of him as something of an older brother who has always been there for her rather than a lover.

Things are certainly going to get complicated when she is going to want to chase Chung Bong since she thinks that she may have feelings for him. Not only is Chung Bong going to have to face issues from her mother who will be against said pairing since she is already against the talented Jihun due to his background but for him atleast he is still single Chung Bong has a sister who the mother might feel that they would have to take responsibility for as well. Not to mention the fact that she is working under Diva Suji. Therefore, the mother will probably think that the brother and sister planned this. But another reason why she will continue to pursue Chung Bong even after him telling her that he isn’t interested in her will be for the simple fact that people have seldom refused her requests without consequences. In that manner she has never learned to hear the answer no. thus it would make sense that she would be surprised to discover that someone is refusing her even when she might be offering perks to be her man. She will therefore probably see this as a challenge and continue to pursue him causing problems and further misunderstandings between the main leads. As for her father it will certainly be interesting whether or not he will approve of Chung Bong further complicating the love triangle in place.

We have seen dad is easily controlled by his daughter and that he can’t stay mad at her for long and eventually ends up giving in to all her demands or trying to get people to cover up her faults rather than fix them. In this sense I feel that he might approve of her and I wouldn’t be surprised if he tried to pressurize Chung Bong to become part of the family. As we have seen Chung Bong is good at his work so that is a boon for him and as he will also note that a positive change is coming over his daughter also due to the way that Chung Bong treats his daughter he might be all for this marriage. There goes Jihun’s rise to the top as well as his jealousy eventually raising its ugly head and fear of being replaced. The only problem that her father will have between Chung Bong and Jihun is that the latter is more of a Yes Man and will almost do everything that he is told that even means covering up crimes or doing illegal deals to better raise the company. On the other hand, Chung Bong as a strong sense of justice and ethics which will start to clash with the dad’s visions and thus they won’t be on the same page and he will eventually have to let him go or refuse his daughters wishes unless the company faces sever losses. But regardless of this if it turns out that Chung Bong has his own birth secret (meaning that he is the secret son of the father) then they better stop this storyline right here in their tracks as Diva and Chung Bong will be brother and sister and this will be wrong. Are they trying to tell us that she will eventually discover that she likes him just like a brother so she will drop him or she will discover the truth first and have enough sense to back down? Time will only tell. Perhaps there is no other birth secret in this show.

So I do find it interesting that both Jihun and Chung Bong ended up hiring Yewon which is bad for all of them. for the later because she will constantly be on his nerves till they fall in love so I guess that will be good but for the moment since she will be on his nerves it will frustrate him to no end. If he hadn’t suggested that they hire her due to his strong sense of justice she wouldn’t be there and as for Jihun it will be because he was partially responsible for her husband’s death which will become an issue for all involved. So I guess in a sense I was wrong and Chung Bong was indeed responsible for having Yewon hired though like I pointed out he did it being unaware of said fact had he known he might not have stepped up.

The dad is as predictable as ever. He does everything for show but always has ulterior motives. For instance, even in this job interview he only wanted to hire the rich or talented people and his generous offer was only there for show and if it wasn’t for Chung Bong his plan would have succeeded as I pointed out Jihun was his Yes Man (not related to the Jim Carrey movie). But this action of his will be interesting because this is probably the first time that he has gone against his wishes. There is no doubt that he is going to get caught and then he will have to answer for his actions. Those actions will eventually have consequences since the longer Yewon will be at the company she will discover their shady dealings and she and Chung Bong will be the ones that will try and expose them. Problem is that the father will try and cover his tracks once again and will try and buy their silence. We all know what kind of family Yewon is living with. They are all short of money and most of them might be willing to accept said money even without her knowledge. The MiL wouldn’t especially if she realizes that her son died because he wanted to reveal the truth. The others also might come around once they discover this fact and we will have to see who that is.

I do feel bad that the MiL has no one to transfer her legacy to. She had hopes of handing it down to Yewon but she is a good enough person to let Yewon walk her own path. Her Karma will probably be rewarded though. We have already seen Brother Bum’s daughter is good at cooking food so she will probably be the one to inherit the MiL’s legacy. I guess this will be good enough for her to pass the restaurant to her grandchild. Though we do have to wonder how she will end up there and how she will meet her father. What will happen first. We have seen that the father is kicking her out of his place but this was before he discovered that the dog was his wife. This means that she doesn’t have to leave that place for the moment. On the other hand, if she does she can be back on the search for her father and end up at that restaurant. But since he is almost always there the secret will be discovered to soon therefore there must be some other reason or cause for her to find him. Speaking of Brother Bum, he is a semi conman. Sure he gets conned a lot but then he is at fault and since he is giving out poor products he might be considered one as well. But that isn’t the reason why I consider him one. If you observe the way that his daughter was searching for him, you will realize that he had lied to her mother about what his family did. Probably to look good and impress her. Such as in her search she is looking for the big and famous Korean Food restaurants when in truth his mother’s place is quite a small one. Perhaps at one time it was quite big or in the area that it was it was the biggest. In that case he might have indeed been telling the truth but like I said I have my doubts regarding it. So in other words he had conned her mother. perhaps he was someone that was just paying rent to her before things got a bit serious between them. regardless of this I don’t like how he left the woman high and dry after that without any contact between them

As for Diva I really am going to have to look up Pop Art. I mean I thought that she wanted to become a K Pop Artist when she said that she wanted to become a Pop Artist. She even has streaks of Dyed Hair to go with that image and when her mother was going on about how she would convince her father to open a studio/gallery for her she was like that wasn’t her intent. So this further made me believe that her intent was a K Pop Artist but here she is indeed bringing up artwork. Some of which was probably done by her. So just what is up with that. Then we see in the last episode that she had those foreign speakers ordered. If those aren’t to help her in her dance sessions what are they for. So I am a bit confused in this department and probably need to further educate myself before I comment on that.

@nohamahamoud2002 LoL you mentioned Sunny Again Tomorrow and I was wondering who the characters were in the last drama. I had forgotten the name already and it wasn’t helping that you were using the initials of the characters as everyone here normally does. It wasn’t until sometime later on that it struck me who you were talking about. As of now it makes sense that Diva will end up with Jihun in the end due to the simple fact that they are second leads and that is their role. A divorce might happen down the line but that remains to be seen. Considering all the bad things that they have both done I feel like it would be better if they end up together rather than Jihun ending up with Chung Bong’s sister. Plus, it would be majorly awkward if you think about him being in laws with him. He was partially responsible for his wife’s ex-husbands death. To some extent I can probably see them remain friends if he ends up doing the right thing. This way Chung Bong can occasionally still meet up with him after his release. Yewon might be okay with that and might forgive him to some extent but being in laws would probably be asking too much. Therefore, it makes perfect sense if he ends up with Diva. As for whether we will have Biker Duo as a couple or Biker Bro with Chung Bong’s sister. Due to her trauma it might take time for her to be close with another male unless she knows them quite well.

As for Biker Duo they have their work cut out. Biker Bro seemed to be a player back in the day and to some extent he still is or rather he is trying to cut all ties with his past girls but they aren’t making it easy for him. Biker Sis will therefore have to work real hard to make him feel interested in her and be okay with all those Exes hanging around him. Perhaps she should take care of the matter for him so that he can finally notice her. At the moment he doesn’t seem to see her as anybody special and as his In Law. Good luck in that department.

Wait has KBS World stopped uploading full episodes on their Youtube channel now. That is too bad and so sad. They used to be a week behind but it was still better than nothing. This was a good way to watch some of these dramas legally or find a better translation than the unofficial one done by subbers and all. Plus, it helped those people that didn’t have KBS World access,

Ouch Short skirts in Winter that must be hard for them. Wait Diva is supposed to be funny because I clearly didn’t get the memo. Biker Sis is more funny to me and at times the mean SiL but I have never found Diva to be funny. The only times that I find her funny is when she shares screen time with her mother and that to because they are trying to hide things from the dad like the dog at their place or something to that extent. Otherwise I find her extremely rude. She might become a bit funny now that she might be developing feelings for Chung Bong and as she will try and change. So those changes may see her doing things outside her comfort zone which would be interesting. For instance, the scene when she thinks that her paintings are going to get damaged and she runs to save them might have seemed funny and to an extent it was but at the same time it felt a whole lot of Karma especially when you add the fact that she thought that they may have gotten stolen as well. She never realized that they could have been ruined or stolen due to her own behavior. So no I don’t think I have found any of her scenes funny or atleast any that come easily to my mind.

As for your question as to why rich girls have to be so hysterical and arrogant it is quite simple. They have to be different from the female leads. If they are the same we might have a hard time rooting for them as we might be confused who is the lead. Not all of them are like that by the way. A few years ago I was watching a drama where the rich girl was actually kind of nice but it was her parents that were evil. Atleast I think that she was like that. I never got to finishing that show. It had the female lead for the weight lifting fairy or something like that show. The rich girl turns out to be her step sister or so later on down the line.

@dramaninja Yes I also like the male lead and his positive attitude and I also hope that he can get close to the two ladies. Is he already starting to show similarities to the reporter due to getting his heart or was he always like that. The MiL noticed how he drank water before his meal just like her son. Will he start to show more similarities that she will start to wonder about them and how will they discover their ties to each other. I guess it helps now that he and his sister have decided to become regulars over there. Perhaps it will be the sister that clears up Yewons misunderstanding between them. since she knows that her brother seems to have her on his mind a lot. Plus, I doubt that Yewon can stay hidden at that restaurant every time that they show up. This might also help her run into Biker Bro and thank him later on. Which might end up revealing his job to the rest of the family.

Atleast the SiL is smart enough not to let her brother sell his suspicious merchandise at her store. The mother should try and do the same. She is just to kind and because of that she might get into trouble. I do feel bad for her husband though. He is secretly trying to work and he can’t seem to tell his wife this so he is constantly getting verbally abused by her. She is going to feel so embarrassed when she discovers the truth.

The brother probably tried out the products and they do work as advertised but if he used his brains he would realize that is not the real reason. For instance, they have told him that if you are in pain just apply the cream for a week and they will be okay. Duh you won’t be okay due to the cream it will just be that the pain will usually subside on its own if it isn’t anything serious. Perhaps a bit of rest is the real secret. But he stupidly believes that the cream has magical properties and is doing its work. Speaking of the cream does anyone wonder about its actual source. I doubt that it is from Africa as the scammers claim. It probably is from China and it will probably be using the same buyers from where Hana Drinks is currently dealing with or someone they know. This way when Chung Bong is on the case he can probably kill two birds with one stone. Then again that is probably too much to ask at this point.

Well anyway that covers most of my points for the time being. So take care all of you and keep posting. Also like I said have a happy weekend.

I have a feeling that the biker may like the male lead sister. She was harrassed by the disgusting man while making clay pots. He felt sorry for her. Poor girl, having to work under such circumstances :( (I am still in episode 9)

@yamiyugi I used short names in Sunny again tomorrow  because I don't know the full Korean  names :D

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:20 AM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@yamiyugi I used short names in Sunny again tomorrow  because I don't know the full Korean  names :D

I figured as much. It is hard to use foreign names that one isn't used to. Thus to ease our difficulty over here they use their initials that are easier to remember. Only problem is that if you are watching to many dramas at the same time you might get a bit confused if another character has the same initials. That is why I try to remember the characters for the show that I watch it's a bit easier. It does help that I have a limited number of shows to watch compared to some of you so the names are easier to recall. but for those that can't I at times try to give people nicknames that match their characters. Some times they are a hit other times they are a miss. If people use them then naturally I become happy if not it's not an issue for me as long as people enjoy the show.

1 hour ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@dramaninja and @yamiyugi  seems like I predicted, I think the biker will have the romance with the main male lead's sister :) (judging from the preview, she is always in trouble, and he is there by chance lol)

I agree, I love their romance to come, it's a bit cliche but the guy saves a girl in danger, they will fall in love little by little, they will form a nice couple, I just hope that writers will not make the sister of the female lead who works with him a wicked for their love story, she looks cool even if her crush starts to see, I hope another boy for her

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:15 PM, nohamahamoud2002 said:

@dramaninja and @yamiyugi  seems like I predicted, I think the biker will have the romance with the main male lead's sister :) (judging from the preview, she is always in trouble, and he is there by chance lol)

Congratulations you earn the title of K Drama Rookie. Keep up the good work and pretty soon you will be predicting the exact plot before it happens :)  I'm good with him with either girl.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:48 PM, dramaninja said:

Dang girl you shredder important stuff lo

That was partially his fault though. He told her to shred any documents that were on the floor and that is exactly what she did. He shouldn't have left them there considering the instructions that he gave her. He should have perhaps left them on the desk before leaving. At that point had she shredded them then she could have been blamed. 

Her fault is that she didn't carefully look at what she was shredding. Some surveys may look a bit like personal information so it might be understandable but if she had a sense she might have figured it out. So her fault is on that end.

anyway hope the next episode starts soon. looking forwards as to how they will resolve it. I suspect that she is going to take all the shredded papers and try and stick them together to help him out.

Oh boy it seems like another complication between the main leads is going to crop up in the future. It appears that one of his sisters bullies used to be Yewon's sister.  Now the same bully is going to end up as her love rival as well. These two girls seem to have an ill fate just like the Secretary and the two sisters in the weekend drama. Wonder what his sister will do when she discovers this. She seems to love her brother so will she place her own happiness over his and let Yewon become a part of her family thus be a part of her bullies family as well and will she be willing to give up her love as well or will she try and get back with someone else. things are about to get extremely interesting it seems.

2 hours ago, yamiyugi said:

Oh boy it seems like another complication between the main leads is going to crop up in the future. It appears that one of his sisters bullies used to be Yewon's sister.  Now the same bully is going to end up as her love rival as well. These two girls seem to have an ill fate just like the Secretary and the two sisters in the weekend drama. Wonder what his sister will do when she discovers this. She seems to love her brother so will she place her own happiness over his and let Yewon become a part of her family thus be a part of her bullies family as well and will she be willing to give up her love as well or will she try and get back with someone else. things are about to get extremely interesting it seems.

it's true for the sisters of our leads, I had not seen things that way, I hope the female lead's sister changed when she saw how her sister was treated; now they will be rivals love to come, I find it exciting because there is much to do, imagine if the sister of the male lead changes behavior and decides to seduce the boy to take revenge on the one who brutalized her, there ' has a lot to tell I hope to be surprised by the writers

Archived