[Drama 2019-2020] Unasked Family / Down the flower path, 꽃길만 걸어요

0ly40

13 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

I'm going to give it about 5 episodes before I begin watching. I'm such an impatient person - the thought of watching another 100+ episodes daily has me researching mental disorders at PsycheCentral. I would like to classify myself because there is definitely something wrong with me. I get too worked up over them for it to be a "normal" thing. :crazy:

That is a good idea. The characters are all at asianwiki amyway.

• Replies 867
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, so I’ve been trying to direct replies to specific people, nada. Couldn’t. So I left PsychCentral & headed over to howtocopyandpasteinaforum.com which directed me to internetfornewbies.com. Alas, I’m back at PsychCentral. :crazy:

I’m sure someone will come up with a name for the abusive  woman in the video. In my neck of the woods we say "it made my hackles rise." Haven't watched any episodes yet so I don't know what character she is but I'd like to be that worker. I won't go into details about what I'd do but I'm sure I'd be spending sometime in jail. I don't think these tiny little blood pressure pills are going to do any good. :lol:

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 3:26 PM, Lunkera said:

@Takingthehighroad :D i know the feeling. been stuck in the daily drama addiction for atleast 6+ years now :D it's not good for my heart haha.

12 hours ago, chococarmela said:

Been stuck on about 2+ years... they're hell but I love it regardless!

For me it has to have been 9 10 years watching dailies. Started in around 2010 with Smile Again (Smile Donghae) as my first daily. Infact speaking of that the actress for Yewon was in it as well as a supporting character at best. The female lead was the female lead of Unknown Woman and yes they both fell for the same lead in it as well. But she didn’t get anyone in that show. For me getting into dailies was more of an accident than deliberate. Regardless I have been hooked onto them. Though I should point out so far I must have mostly seen KBS World Dailies because we used to get that free when we moved to my current apartment. It was the first time that I watched any Korean Drama etc.. Unfortunately, due to issue in the cable we don’t get it anymore. Still I want to point out how much has changed since I started watching these dailies. Back then only the weekly and weekend dramas were subbed. Dailies took ages and those to in batches. So we might get 4-5 episodes if we were lucky in 6 months or so. Thus if I ever missed an episode I would have no idea what happened in it and by the time it got subbed I wouldn’t even remember where it was. Fortunately, this isn’t the case anymore. Since dailies not only get subbed regularly thus allowing me to share my thoughts with you guys but KBS World also subs them on youtube granted we are still a week behind from Korea but something is still better than nothing.

Anyway enough of that let’s get back to the show at hand.

Spoiler

@Takingthehighroad the abusive girl in the video is probably Suji the daughter of Hana Drinks. If I were to make a guess, I would say that she is the drama version of sorts of the Peanut Lady. Remember her. This character’s attitude seems to be a lot like hers. She didn’t get what she wanted so she poured the juice that she was served on the server.

It really was her own fault. Infact I would probably cheer for her if she was a better person or if she learned from others but this isn’t the case. For instance, instead of getting mad at the server for speaking negatively about her companies drink she actually paid note to those comments and complaints and suggested those to her father to improve their own drinks so that they could become competitive again. Also while I can understand not wanting to drink your competitions drinks so as not to give them an advantage I feel that it is absurd to not test it out at some point. After all you need to know what the competition is upto if you want to keep ahead of them. Since she is a fool I have no interest in her fate. She can jump of a cliff for all I care it still wouldn’t impact the story much. Okay it will once she gets some character development but that is another story altogether. Though the one thing that I do seem to enjoy about her is the misunderstanding her mother has about her future. According to her she wants to become an Artist/Creator and her mother assumes that it is the painting type and thus agrees to convince her dad to let her open an art gallery. When the truth is that she probably wants to become something like a K-Pop artist or better yet an entertainer. Good one.

As for her dad I guess I have to reevaluate him. Initially I thought that he was an honest person and that any and all corruption in the company was solely done by Jihun and that he had no idea about it. Turns out that I was mistaken. Dad is probably himself incharge of the corruption and Jihun is simply going along with it being his trusty right hand man and all. He probably got like this when his wife from Love To The End left him so that she could become Yewon SiL. He finally decided to join his corrupt family. Oh wait he is an orphan here has he been lying about his background so that he can take over Hana Drinks and add it to his family company. Oh you evil man.

Now let’s start on Yewon’s MiL she does seem unreasonable but after watching the latest episodes her actions seem to make a bit of sense. It turns out all of her children (apart from Yewon’s husband) are her stepchildren. No wonder she wants to keep her own son close. Not only that but according to her she barely gets to see her own son because he is so busy etc.. so if he moved out she would get to see him even less. I get the fact that kids should be independent and all but she might have a bit of difficulty doing that. Though if you think about it she is a bit considerate to others if people just look carefully. For instance, she acknowledges the fact that Yewon work very hard since morning thus she let her of early and told her that she would pick up the grandkids and as we can see from today’s episodes’ trailer that she will allow Yewon to move out. Not that it will work since this is a drama and all. Since Yewon thought that she wouldn’t be able to move in thanks to the MiL discovering the truth she cancelled the contract and by the time she will receive the permission the place will have already been sold of to someone else unfortunately.

Regardless I feel that while the MiL can be considerate she isn’t perfect because all of the burden of running the household falls on Yewon. She doesn’t expect much from her stepchildren. I get the reason for that but she should treat everyone equally. Due to this we don’t see her asking her daughter or other sons to help in the household chores. She thinks that they may take it the wrong way or that they may think that she is abusing them etc the only one of those step children that is sort of nice seems to be the youngest who gets a pass from me sort of because he is still in the army. If he becomes like the rest of the family as a no good nothing after his discharge, then we have an issue. At most he does have girl problems since he likes to party and all. Speaking of which I found it funny how two of his fan girls were waiting for him outside his place when Yewon came. Just glad that they didn’t assume that she was another rival in their way since she told them that he was her BiL but nevertheless she got involved in their catfight (even if it was unintentional)

Regardless this is what I see as probably the final pairings.

Yewon will end up with the lawyer since they are the main leads.

Sooji will probably fall for the Soldier Brother since this will end up making her more humble rather than ending up with someone rich like her and all.

This probably leaves Jihun and Seon Hwa (The lawyers sister) as an item.

I guess there will probably be a love triangle of sorts between the last two. For instance I can probably see that Jihun might want to marry Sooji so that he can take over Hana Drinks especially since he knows all of its secrets and has helped it grow with her father. Her father will probably be also okay with this as well as the fact that he is one of the few people that knows her (since he can get find her no matter where she ends up with) Plus since he knows that she isn’t interested in running the company he can have it all. He may promise the dad to hand over the company to Sooji when she is ready but never lets her reach that level. Perhaps even get her into more trouble so that he can retain his power.

As for Seon Hwa the sister she probably has a crush on him as could be witnessed when she was taking care of the plant that he sent. So it will be interesting to see what happens when she discovers all the bad things that he has been doing. Jihun probably only sees of her like a little sister so he won’t be interested in her. So she will probably be the one chasing him. I doubt that she has any interest in others so she might probably even hide his corrupt dealings in the hopes that he approves of her and the fact that according to him her brother finally got a new heart so she won’t care about the suffering of others.

Then we have the drunk BiL. Clearly the guy is getting conned and not only that but he seems to have other issues as well. For instance, he continues to treat his stepmother like the other woman and not only that but also steals from her restaurant and only gets away because she doesn’t have the heart to press charges against him. Bet if she does he will think that she is only doing that because they aren’t biologically related but he seems to be one of the people that seems apt to cause trouble.

For instance, I have a bad feeling that since the husband brought the bribe money home the brother is going to find it and won’t know or care about that and will use said money to get out of his troubles. This will probably cause more problems for the main leads down the line. Since the husband seems upright and can’t be bribed he will promise to pay Hana Drinks for the missing money so as to not let them think that he has been bribed. Though by then it will already be too late. Still speaking of bribes if Jihun wanted to play it smart he should have another reporter take a picture of him accepting a bribe this would mean that people wouldn’t believe the husbands report since it would show that he was corrupt then again that image wouldn’t be nice for Hana Drinks. Either way they lose.

Well since I am busy at work for now. I will leave my post here for the time being. So till then take care all of you and keep posting.

So it looks more and more like this drama is Love is Drop by Drop version 2.0...but without the humor, fun background music, and the Easter Egg props which made that show so fun to watch. I did catch a quick glimpse of a kitty cat strolling along in the alleyway, so maybe there is hope for this drama! 

Sadly, it looks like YW's husband (aka the future heart donor) has a wet noodle for a backbone, and will use their house deposit money to pay off his idiot brother's debts, and then die, leaving YW and their daughter penniless, and at the mercy of the mom. Somehow I bet the mom will blame YW for her son's death, thus intensifying the misery for YW. I wonder how the show will handle the organ donation issue? In other dramas, it's been a huge point of contention, even if the donor consented and other characters knew about it. 

The bag of cash....a nice complicating factor. Who will end up with it? The idiot brother? Gaaah, I hope not! 

Gotta love Soo Ji's father--he always plays these baddies so well. Ji Hoon is merely a toadie who does his bidding, although I wonder if he will develop a conscience along the way.

Poor Dong U :(

I like the brother in law  (the soldier). He is the only kind person in the inlaws family, despite being a step son, he loves his mom and step brother. I hope he supports the poor wife

the wife's family are good people 

the step sister is a nightmare :huh:

the rich brat and her family are so provocative 

although I hate many characters, but I am ready to give this a try. 

@dramaninja  @lu09  I hate all the villains here :D so I am on the same side with you lol. I really like to be in the same boat with you, makes me feel good 

2 hours ago, nohamahamoud2002 said:

Poor Dong U :(

I like the brother in law  (the soldier). He is the only kind person in the inlaws family, despite being a step son, he loves his mom and step brother. I hope he supports the poor wife

the wife's family are good people 

the step sister is a nightmare :huh:

the rich brat and her family are so provocative 

although I hate many characters, but I am ready to give this a try. 

@dramaninja  @lu09  I hate all the villains here :D so I am on the same side with you lol. I really like to be in the same boat with you, makes me feel good 

We always on the same side we just have different opinion about  few characters  no big deal!

Okay let’s see what we can infer from the latest episodes and what that changes from our current information on the characters and the story itself.

So let’s get on with the show.

Spoiler

For starters Yewon’s husband paid of his bum brothers loan without informing Yewon and what is worse is that he used the hard earned money that she had been saving all these years to move out. The only reason that he did that was because his brother emotionally blackmailed him which I really didn’t like. The problem that I see is that if the brother actually had any conscience then he would have paid Yewon back. But the way his personality is he probably isn’t going to do that because her husband passed away before he could tell her. If one looks at it the brother owes both Yewon and her husband for clearing out his debt and mess. He has probably been living in comfort of sorts since he doesn’t have to pay her back. Unless the husband had the foresight to sign some kind of contract with his brother and kept it somewhere safe which she will find out later on.

Jihun seems to be an interesting case. People have wondered about not only his corruption but also the fact that he too may grow a conscience. This leads one to wonder what exactly motivates him. Like I said earlier if he was the ambitious type then he may eye Hana Drinks as his own since he has been helping the father grow the company and hiding the corruption within. In that case he may think that he deserves the company and all he may also want to marry Suji has a backup. But the thing with actors is that their facial expressions can speak volumes. This brings us to the question of him having a conscience or developing one down the line. For instance, we have to then ask ourselves if he has one then why is he doing things that he knows to be wrong.

A good question indeed. The answer to that probably would be loyalty which would be there due to gratitude to the president. We have to remember something important before we judge his actions. In this case it would be the fact that Jihun, Chung Dong and his sister were all from the same orphanage and that Hana Drinks sponsored them or atleast the former two. Naturally they are all grateful to the president because of this. As one can see one works for him and the other considers the President like a father figure (unless that is his birth secret), In other words the president succeeded in his goals to get people that are loyal to him. If he wants to use this as emotional blackmail fuel he can even do that. For instance, he can say something like this. Who believed in you when nobody else did and who gave you a chance when you were a nobody etc.. this might give some characters a bit of a pause and may reevaluate their choices. In this case it did seem by his facial expressions that he did feel a bit guilty in regards to Yewon’s husband’s accident but then again was the guilt due to the accident that he caused or that he wasn’t be totally honest in regards to the accident.

Regardless of the fact he is certainly responsible for the husband’s death. Whether or not he takes it further remains to be seen. For instance, he discovers that the husband is still alive at the same hospital as Chung Dong so he manages to presurise or convince the doctor to use his heart to cure Chung Dong. Such as telling him that since the patient as no hope of survival then they might as well use the heart if it is a match etc.. this would naturally be him covering his tracks just to prevent a miracle and the husband recovering and then returning on his quest to expose the truth. But that isn’t the reason why I think that he is responsible for the husband’s death. The real reason is that he probably didn’t report the accident in the first place. We know the accident happened during the late hours of the night. The doctors only informed Yewon in the early hours of the morning. Not only that but the doctors also informed Yewon and her family that had he come in a bit earlier they could have saved him. This means that Jihun didn’t report the accident. But he naturally didn’t leave just like that. He probably took the incriminating documents first from the car so he probably also knew just how sever the injuries were and he still didn’t inform the hospital. Making him guilty of murder or manslaughter at best in my book.

The one good thing that I liked about the episode was that the husband returned the bribe money to Hana Drinks. I was worried that he might be unable to do so because his brother took the money or perhaps he used that money to purchase that watch for his wife. Fortunately, that wasn’t the case. Not only that but he also recognized that the supplier was bribed by them and was able to convince them to hand over the evidence. Too bad he died before being able to use it. It was also nice to see that Chung Dong could make it the trial in time and that he only fainted after the verdict was passed. I wonder if we will see that kid again in the future and if that kid can be of some use in the future.

The most amusing scene of the last episode had to be when Yewon’s father found a drunk female on the curb. Only for it to turn out to be his daughter. Since she was drunk she had no idea that she got into her father’s taxi and revealed to him that she had dropped college and all. She runs out in embarrassment when she gets caught or comes to her senses.

Really don’t like Suji and her mother. They are exact copies of The Witchy Duo from the last drama. Both cover for the others mistakes and don’t realize what they have done wrong. In this case the dad atleast packed of the embarrassing daughter to the States so that she could study and gain a degree. The funny thing is that all along I have been calling the States as the Land of Exile and in this drama the daughter herself considers to being exiled over there. Though I do wonder if she will actually study over there and obtain a degree. Since she is being sent there unsupervised I get the feeling that she will drop out of the major that her parents set for her and choose something in the entertainment business. Though if she does that I do wonder what her role would be in the show. She would have no rival etc.. I guess we will then just have to wait and see what the writer has planned for her.

People have commented that this show reminds them of another show Love is Drop by Drop. Since I haven’t watched that show I can’t comment on this. But then again I have heard of shows where a transplant is done in a character and they are drawn to the donors love and fall in love with them as well. Though unless they start showing that Chung Dong has visions of the husband’s death or whenever he sees Jihun I won’t have much of an issue since I doubt that is realistic. Though what I can see by the end of the show is that he will probably move in with Yewon’s current family/In Laws. The reasoning behind this thinking is that first of all those people might think that he is a gift from heaven and thus the son is brought back in a manner of speaking when they discover the truth (that is the recipient of the son’s heart) but more than that is because Chung Dong is conveniently an orphan so him suddenly getting a family of his own will also be like a gift for him. Not only that but the fact that he will see that the family is important for Yewon and that she won’t easily leave them. So he will agree to stay there with them. Don’t know just how much this resembles the drama that was mentioned. Perhaps I should give it a shot when I get the time. Then again it was mentioned that in the show there were numerous Easter eggs. These I probably won’t get since I probably haven’t watched the shows that they were in.

Oh no @nohamahamoud2002 hates all the villains in this show. Something must be wrong with them. They have changed how they normally operate. Better call the emergency crew to be on standby just in case. LoL just joking. Glad to see one show where everyone can agree on the villains being plain bad that nobody is on their side. Then again I am pretty sure you were against the villains of the last drama (Home For Summer) as well. From what I have seen you tend to favour the second leads of the 100 episode drams. I only noticed your comments in Left Handed Wife and A Pace In The Sun. If you mentioned anyone else, I probably missed them. Though I am a bit unsure about the former were you more on the actor’s side or the characters. There is a subtle difference between the two mind you. The way you were writing in the former you seemed to give high credit to the actor which is totally understandable. But to praise the villain might be a bit too much. Then again I shouldn’t be talking about that since I didn’t really watch that show just a few random episodes so I have little to no idea of what really was going on over there.

Anyway take care all of you and have a nice weekend and keep posting. Will be looking forward to reading your posts and thoughts. So till next time. See some of you here on Monday while the rest of you in some other thread.

On 11/2/2019 at 6:56 PM, yamiyugi said:

Oh no @nohamahamoud2002 hates all the villains in this show. Something must be wrong with them. They have changed how they normally operate. Better call the emergency crew to be on standby just in case. LoL just joking. Glad to see one show where everyone can agree on the villains being plain bad that nobody is on their side. Then again I am pretty sure you were against the villains of the last drama (Home For Summer) as well. From what I have seen you tend to favour the second leads of the 100 episode drams. I only noticed your comments in Left Handed Wife and A Place In The Sun. If you mentioned anyone else, I probably missed them. Though I am a bit unsure about the former were you more on the actor’s side or the characters. There is a subtle difference between the two mind you. The way you were writing in the former you seemed to give high credit to the actor which is totally understandable. But to praise the villain might be a bit too much. 

lol

you know, 120 episode dramas are less complicated. The villains are in Bollywood style,  where you just hate them sooooo much.

in the 100 episode revenge dramas, it is different :) 

well, to answer your question:  no I don't praise villains, but I do understand the psychology of the character, his motives. Why did he do what he did? That's all. I just feel sorry for them, because the background of the character and the circumstances he is put in decides his actions. You notice that writers of revenge drama shed a light on the character's past, which is so deep. The subject itself is very heavy. You just don't watch for fun, you find yourself asking too many questions.

Spoiler

@yamiyugi In left-handed wife, I felt sorry for NJ, but his crimes were serious that he had to die to pay for them, so I was praising the actor. But in A place in the sun, KI wasn't evil at the beginning, people pushed him to be like that, that's why I was defending him. Choi Sungjae's face is more suitable as a good guy, he was able to transform his features later to an evil man, but his past good self kept lingering in my memory. Namjun's face is more cunning, he was more suitable for a villain.

On the other hand, here there is no detailed background about the hateful characters, you notice their actions now, without much information about their past, and even if we have some information, it is not that deep, and you just find yourself hating them.

Here, the villains are cliches, the rich brat and her family, the hateful in-laws, the evil assistant etc etc, so no need for me to use my mind and decide whether they have any good in them, that is why I feel better watching KBS 1 drama :)  

To prepare myself before I binge-watch to catch up, I've re-watched Legend of Yanxi Palace & Ruyi's Royal Love in the Palace. Therefore, there's no way my BP could go any higher. I've also visited PsychCentral to prepare mentally. I feel so "invigorated" that I am going to watch 2 dailies: this one & Elegant Mother & Daughter. I will comment more when I catch up unless I'm carted out of here on a stretcher. 

Archived