[Drama 2023] Romantic Doctor, Teacher Kim (Season 3), 낭만닥터 김사부 시즌3

0ly40

15 hours ago, reddragon said:

I agree with the observations and comments regarding the role of Dr. Cha. For 3 episodes she's done nothing but ran out of the operating room, vomit, or faint. Why cast her as a cardio-thoracic surgeon then when she's not fit to be one. She could be a pediatrician.

That scene of her lamenting the drawn marks on her face. The ink's removed while she's rubbing it with her fingers. Why go to the length of running around, covering her face and stealing a surgical mask, when she could have gone to the washroom and wash off the ink with soap and water. She could have used wet tissues to wipe the ink off or even wet a cotton ball with some alcohol. Such a waste of video footage. Is she the comic relief?

Hello, my name is Jamie!  It's nice to meet you all! 

I think I can clear some confusion regarding Dr. Cha's character.  If you'll remember in episode 2, when she was in the surgery room she had a flashback of her students days, when someone opened up a dead body's leg.  I sincerely believe that she can see blood and work with knife, it is just the operation room that brings back those days.  The reason I know it because if you all notice in episode 4, Master Kim asked has she ran out of ER after seeing blood and she said no.  So I conclude that it has to be more of trauma than anything else.  This are what I have observed, I hope it helps. 

• Like 3

I am liking this show more than I expect to! Was watching Crash Landing but wasn’t really into it, especially with the recent news of the leaked phone messages and Hyun Bin. So decided to give LSK a try since I really liked her in Weight lifting fairy. She seems to match the tall handsome young men best, and AHS reminds me so much of NJH (in fact a bit too much similar). Was a little hesitant about her Dr Cha character in the beginning but glad that she redeemed herself in this week’s episode. And I loved the backstory between the two young leads. I am sure Dr S had a huge crush on her back in school. Wish we will see more of their past interactions!

• Like 3

I think question about Dr Cha is whether her motivations for taking on the medical profession was the right one in the first place?  Granted there are many who go into the profession for the prestige and financial gain but at least they are competent?  And would not be knowingly putting patient lives at risk with a pre-existing condition?  Her only reason for continuing Med school was so she doesn’t make her mom sad.  That’s my biggest gripe about her character and her backstory.  As many have highlighted, it is ludicrous that she could even be a 2nd year Fellow in Cardiac Surgery with her condition?  Her vomiting started back in Anatomy classes in Medical School?  In reality that’s where most drop out and switch courses. Even if she did power through and get past Med School, any sane (and responsible) person who realize that I can’t bear operations so I would steer away from specialties which require me to cut people up?  I am obviously NOT cut out for it?  There are plenty of other medical specialties that do not require you to do that on a daily basis?  Why did she choose something she was obviously incapable of doing?  To prove something to herself?  As a challenge to overcome?  She is a hazard in the OR.  She can’t be performing surgery if she gets nauseous cutting people up.  To take Xanax to ease her nausea and nod off during surgery is just...I have no words...:blink:.  And she chooses Cardiac Surgery as her sub specialty?  Where a slip of the scalpel as she is falling asleep would mean cutting a major blood vessel? The heart?  I am glad Master Kim told her off.  She’s in denial and delusional.  A patient’s life is in your hands.  It’s not something you take lightly.  I can’t empathize with her character at all.  She willingly put the lives of others at risk because her pride wouldn’t allow her to accept her limitations.  That’s a big no-no for me.  She has a long way back as a character who is redeemable in my eyes.  I blame the writer (not the actress) for not thinking the scenario and backstory through.  

Having said all that I really like the other characters in Doldam.  That’s where the heart of the drama is.  Idiosyncratic, eccentric, oddball but warm.  So far everyone fits well in that space apart from Dr Cha.  

• Like 3

@nrllee Yah agree that the way Dr Cha’s character is written leaves a lot to be desired. It is indeed unbelievable that she managed to be a certified surgeon with this condition. Actually, the show seems to portray her from a well to do family so maybe via family connections? (which may answer why she managed to make it so far but is worse for her character arch).

On the other hand, I am quite sympathetic to the reason why she wants so badly to remain in the profession. Unlike the other cheobol shows where the lead comes from a family of doctors and therefore he/she is pressurized to be one, it appears that she has a loving relationship with her mother and genuinely wants her to be happy/ proud of her. I am guessing her final story (if Master Kim didn’t succeed in turning her into a competent surgeon) would be that she decided to do something she loves instead of a doctor and she finds out that all along her mother loves her regardless.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Ohsh said:

I am guessing her final story (if Master Kim didn’t succeed in turning her into a competent surgeon) would be that she decided to do something she loves instead of a doctor and she finds out that all along her mother loves her regardless.

That’s the most rational story arc for her character.  :)  Possible scenarios for her moving forward 

1. If by some miracle Master Kim manages to tame her demons and she can conquer her nausea, then yes she can go on with her Fellowship.  She’s already come so far. 

2. If she chooses to remain as a doctor (I mean she’s gone through so much study and effort?), then she can opt to do something that doesn’t require her to perform surgeries.  This is possible because she can stand the sight of blood, it’s just the OR and surgical procedures that trigger her.  

3. If on the other hand, she opts to move out of the field altogether, she doesn’t find doctoring all that fulfilling, then she can start afresh with something else which would bring her happiness.  Her list of pros to stop Med school was long.  The only con she had on that list was it would make her mom sad.  Career changes are the norm nowadays.  It’s never too late.

1 and 2 requires her to really ask herself the hard questions as to whether “pleasing her mom” is sufficient motivation to keep her slogging it out in the medical fraternity for years.  It’s not for the faint of heart.  I get the feeling Master Kim will push her to face those demons and to ask those hard questions of herself.  He’s blunt and doesn’t mince words.  Harsh but he means well.  She needs to wake up and face the harsh realities.  It’s not a failure.  It’s an awakening.  

• Like 2

We are already pass episode 4 but I'm still waiting for Dr Kim's famous "Jibjung!"

I'm actually curious about Dr Park. I don't think he is a nemesis in the same vein as DYW. To me he is like KDJ in the beginning of S1. Back then KDJ was highly ambitious and not averse to benefits/ advantages. Towards the end KDJ bacame a doctor with similar ideals to KSB. So I think that will be his character development path.

Next week's medical case seems to hit close to home for SYJ. It seems like he started of as a capable and honourable doctor. We still don't have much information about the whistle blowing case. Did he reported something, did someone pay him to report something or was he merely the black sheep in that incident? He expressed disappointment when accused of taking bribery. I'm sure there were moments when he considered taking one, especially since he is in extreme need of money. So he is probably at that point where if people is going to accuse him of something he did not do, he might as well do the deed. The difference between KDJ, CEJ is that he isn't desperate to return to Goedae. So he is like the YSJ of S2. I wonder if his debt is just due to his school fees. And the military hospital doctor seems to know SYJ well so that is interesting too.

I'm also irritated about CEJ. Can we call her situation as substance abuse? Anyhow, I also wonder if being a doctor is something she really wants to do?

The bone doctor is still an enigma. But YAR is interesting. I still think something is going to happen to her.

• Like 4

hello!! so i haven't watched the first season but chose to start on the second season because of lee sungkyung and ahn hyo seob! 

i understand the hate eunjae is getting from viewers, initially i didn't like her too. found her a bit "useless" especially since she's a doctor but can't exactly step into the OR without taking pills/vomiting. but then a few eps in I realised her character is written this way so as to create a path for her development. I believe as the show progress, her character will develop and improve under the guidance of Master Kim and alongside the people she work with and the experiences she would face in the hospital. 

I'm also living for the cute tidbits we get about eunjae and woojin's college past. it seemed to me that woojin might have been interested in her since their college days. Though the budding romance is quite stagnant for now (since eunjae has a crush on dr bones) I'm hoping to see some development in their love line soon heh. 

SBS never fail to amaze me with their medical dramas tbh! 

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

Just because the comments are not glowing I wouldn’t go as far as to call it “hate” directed to Dr Cha.  I prefer to think we’re like Master Kim.  Calling it for what it is. It’s more frustration with her current character and how she’s written.  It’s not the fault of the actress.

Anyway cast is having a ball and the ratings speak volumes despite our grumbling :lol:.  The drama’s a success regardless.

Here they are celebrating MinJae’s birthday 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Finish ep 4... and cant wait for the rest of the episodes!.... hoping more people on this thread...then again, the ratings in korea are hitting the roofs!....all is well...

Looking fwd to Dr Seo and Cha's romance and others as well... its bound to happen right. To see that WJ has been protecting EJ since colleage days are just sweet :wub:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2020 at 10:20 AM, Kasmic said:

Dr Bae scares me a bit..speaking and naming a skeleton...ummmm.. I don't think that's quite normal (no offence lol!) and sassy Dr Yoon I think she seems more interested in Nurse Park. (I might change my mind esp after watching the next eps)

And Dr Seo and Dr Cha I get the same vibes of the lead Doctors from S1. It's no surprise since its the same PD and writers from S1. It's so good to see and Im loving every ep. The slow burning reveal is their thing. Im trying to bank up the eps because I know Im going to get so anxious for the next eps lol! It's so not working. :lol:

Hahaha. But for me everything Dr Bae does is forgivable just cause he is sooooo good looking. Seriously we need his backstory to surface ASAP!!! And I like the idea of Dr. Yoon and Nurse Park- I think they are both very loving and giving souls:)

On 1/14/2020 at 8:46 PM, lu09 said:

Hi chingus, one quick question. Do I have to watch the first season or this can be watched as a stand-alone????? 

You don't have to but as someone has pointed out it is definitely worth watching. I mean the fact that a lot of us on this forum are watching season 2 cause we loved season 1 so much speaks volumes of how much people loved season 1. Also who doesn't want to see everything Yoo yeon-seok is in anyway! LOL

On 1/14/2020 at 10:55 PM, dzareth said:

I have a feeling that something bad/ tragic will happen to Yoon Areum. She's just too cheerful...

You have read my mind. I also find her too cheerful to get through this series without an ailment of some kind. I wouldn't want that to happen to be honest and in season 1 they didn't use the concept of doctors dying to fuel the story (this plot is already overused in medical dramas) so maybe there is hope that no bad will happen to her.

On 1/15/2020 at 10:30 AM, whome said:

I'm curious to the reason why she's so anxious in the OR that she resorts to pills, yet she's okay in the ER. It's not the blood because she sees that in the ER as well. Is it holding the knife to cut open a body for surgery? She told Master Kim that she's okay with blood & cuts in the ER as long as she's not in the OR. Is it too late for her to perhaps switch to an ER doctor?

I am curious about this too. What also interests me is how are they going to resolve this problem? Will Teacher Kim train her to overcome her OT anxiety or will she acknowledge her limitations and learn to be happy in ER. Let's see how story unfolds.

• Like 6

On 1/14/2020 at 3:50 PM, Kasmic said:

Dr Bae scares me a bit..speaking and naming a skeleton...ummmm.. I don't think that's quite normal (no offence lol!)

:lol: I just see him as eccentric.  He obsesses about bones so he “humanizes” them.  Much like how we humanize our pets and talk to them.  I know some people who talk to their cars. :lol: He seems to keep to himself much of the time so his main company would be “Elaine” (?) the complete skeleton and “Stella” (? I could be wrong) the hand.  And the animal skeleton in his office looks to be a rabbit?  He probably would’ve been an outcast in the city but here in Doldam, his idiosyncrasies are just accepted as part of who he is (no judgement) so he's comfortable to perform his duties.  They have his back.  Remember how in Ep 1/2 he was holding the hand bones unconsciously whilst moving to attend an emergency when Cha first arrived?  The chief nurse immediately suggested to him, “Dr Bae, I’ll take that” before he dashed off into the ER?  They accept each other’s oddball characters and work with it.  I think that’s the whole culture of the hospital.  Everyone has their eccentricities but they work as one covering for each other for the good of the patients under the watchful eye of Master Kim (who is himself a bit of a “cowboy” when it comes to the medical fraternity).  It’s about finding a “fit” within their community.  Dr Seo has found his groove much quicker than Dr Cha because he’s competent in his field.  Dr Cha is hampered by her pride and her ailment.  

I’ll tell you who else interests me.  The nurse with the glasses (Joo YoungMi).  She’s only lurked in the background for much of the time.  But when she was introduced, she mentioned she’s only been in Doldam for 2 months.  And then she appeared again eavesdropping in a recent episode.  What are her motives?

@rita96

You have read my mind. I also find her too cheerful to get through this series without an ailment of some kind. I wouldn't want that to happen to be honest and in season 1 they didn't use the concept of doctors dying to fuel the story (this plot is already overused in medical dramas) so maybe there is hope that no bad will happen to her.

That has crossed my mind too.  Why is she always sucking on lollipops?  Does she have a chronic condition like Diabetes?  It’s not ideal (there are better options to control your blood sugars) but at least it would prevent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  Doctors don’t exactly have regular meals and are often on the run all the time.  She wouldn’t want to be having the shakes or fainting if her blood sugars fall below normal levels.  The fact that she’s the one told to keep quiet about the President’s condition?  So she could well be hiding an illness (chronic or terminal).  

• Like 3
  • Insightful 2

On 1/16/2020 at 1:56 AM, nrllee said:

I think question about Dr Cha is whether her motivations for taking on the medical profession was the right one in the first place?  Granted there are many who go into the profession for the prestige and financial gain but at least they are competent?  And would not be knowingly putting patient lives at risk with a pre-existing condition?  Her only reason for continuing Med school was so she doesn’t make her mom sad.  That’s my biggest gripe about her character and her backstory.  As many have highlighted, it is ludicrous that she could even be a 2nd year Fellow in Cardiac Surgery with her condition?  Her vomiting started back in Anatomy classes in Medical School?  In reality that’s where most drop out and switch courses. Even if she did power through and get past Med School, any sane (and responsible) person who realize that I can’t bear operations so I would steer away from specialties which require me to cut people up?  I am obviously NOT cut out for it?  There are plenty of other medical specialties that do not require you to do that on a daily basis?  Why did she choose something she was obviously incapable of doing?  To prove something to herself?  As a challenge to overcome?  She is a hazard in the OR.  She can’t be performing surgery if she gets nauseous cutting people up.  To take Xanax to ease her nausea and nod off during surgery is just...I have no words...:blink:.  And she chooses Cardiac Surgery as her sub specialty?  Where a slip of the scalpel as she is falling asleep would mean cutting a major blood vessel? The heart?  I am glad Master Kim told her off.  She’s in denial and delusional.  A patient’s life is in your hands.  It’s not something you take lightly.  I can’t empathize with her character at all.  She willingly put the lives of others at risk because her pride wouldn’t allow her to accept her limitations.  That’s a big no-no for me.  She has a long way back as a character who is redeemable in my eyes.  I blame the writer (not the actress) for not thinking the scenario and backstory through.  

Having said all that I really like the other characters in Doldam.  That’s where the heart of the drama is.  Idiosyncratic, eccentric, oddball but warm.  So far everyone fits well in that space apart from Dr Cha.  

I agree with all you have said, but in her defence I would say the reason she lasts until now is her perseverance - she asks Seo Woo Jin for help with practical parts, she doesnt quit being a doctor after Kim Sabu tells her to. I didn't like it she blames others for her failing in operation room though.. that part I would like to see her character grow out of it. I hate seeing an incompetent female doctor and getting labeled "this is why I dont hire female" like her senior have stated. I start seeing scenes where people noticed her worth - e.g. the flail chest patient where both nurse Park and the other ER doctor was skeptical with her management, but turn out she was right and quick witted despite seeing flail chest only one. She was also noted to do excellent in her academic research and very strong foundation in theory. I believe she's being fleshed out with progression and development after meeting the right people. So let's all wait and see. 

I'm not sure if the female doctors are being portrayed as cute like that "cute" clueless ER doctor. Her dimples are cute, and the show seems indicate that she's a good natural observer. It's still quite early to judged any character actually, we just have to continue watching, haha.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, kaqueski said:

I believe she's being fleshed out with progression and development after meeting the right people. So let's all wait and see. 

I'm not sure if the female doctors are being portrayed as cute like that "cute" clueless ER doctor. Her dimples are cute, and the show seems indicate that she's a good natural observer. It's still quite early to judged any character actually, we just have to continue watching, haha.

Agree. :).  I find the ER doctor easier to adjust to because she’s willing to learn. ER Doctor is a resident so she a few years behind Dr Cha (who is a Fellow/attending - loads more responsibility).  Dr Cha at the moment needs a reality check...she refuses to acknowledge her limitations at the moment.  Failure to acknowledge the problem means she will never learn.  I look forward to seeing how she is fleshed out.  I am sure Doldam will do that for her.  

• Like 2

Soompi explained that the loan sharks are after Woo Jin for his parents unpaid debt too.

Jang ki young sent LSK a coffee truck. I didn’t know they were close. She is friends with all the current hottest young male actors :) 

• Like 6

On 1/17/2020 at 4:32 AM, nrllee said:

@rita96

That has crossed my mind too.  Why is she always sucking on lollipops?  Does she have a chronic condition like Diabetes?  It’s not ideal (there are better options to control your blood sugars) but at least it would prevent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).  Doctors don’t exactly have regular meals and are often on the run all the time.  She wouldn’t want to be having the shakes or fainting if her blood sugars fall below normal levels.  The fact that she’s the one told to keep quiet about the President’s condition?  So she could well be hiding an illness (chronic or terminal).  

I thought lollipop is just her way to relieve her own pressure in ER, plus the scriptwriter's intention to add "sweetness" to her character, but who knows? Maybe you are right that she has conditions related to blood sugar level....

• Like 4

Oh Yes... Season 1 was amazing beyond and worth rewatching umpteenth times... When I saw there's Dr Romantic 2...i scratch my head and say "hmm...is this a sequence to Dr Romantic 1?"  I hesitated watching Dr Romantic 1 just for that one word "ROMANTIC" as i fear it would be one of those lovey dovey kind of series so I avoided watching it all these years.  Because of Dr Romantic 2 pop up...i decided ok... I will give Dr Romantic 1 a try and that "a try" went into full speed non-stop watching...it was like I need to watch just the start of the next episode and it just happen to be "just the start of next ep" I fell in deep addiction with Dr Romantic 1 and I want to re-watch it.  Of course there are some people in there I want to twist them round and round or put them on the operating table... Opps... enough of Dr Romantic 1...

Dr Romantic 2 is pulling me in all in all and I am so happy to see Chief Nurse Oh, Dr Nam, Dr ParkET, President Yeo...oh just love his smile and twinkle eyes...  Yet to see Mr Goo...I like his quick appearance like magic...just one call from Chief Nurse Oh...and Mr Goo is there...

I did a overnight to Ep 1 to Ep 4 and really worth it all...
Initially I cannot handle Dr Cha as she only blames blames blames...she is like blames Dr Seo...angry with Master Kim...then eye blink blink at Dr Bae especially more so when she finds out Dr Bae has divorced. On the other hand...i am glad noone gives in to her whim and nutty ways...Salute Dr Seo for holding in as much as he can when comes to Dr Seo.  Ah...she was really mad angry with Dr Seo when Dr Seo went in for the Minister's 2nd Surgery. Is it just her style of getting mad angry before checking out details...at least she apologize to Dr Seo after "kind of" hearing Master Kim was the one who sends Dr Seo into the 2nd Surgery and not Dr Seo intentionally stealing her place.  I salute Dr Cha when she bravely corner the high and mighty Dr Yang in front of the Minister's son and Dr Park Min Kook...that's was the best moment of the entire episode...Kudos to Dr Cha and this might just be the waking up call to her to devote herself to Doldam and not see-saw hoping to "buy" her way back to Geodae. Am glad she tells Master Kim her fear in OR but she's ok in ER.  Kudos Dr Cha

Dr Seo losing his parents could have made him cold and not trusting easily or opening up on his feelings thoughts easily.  The image of his parents dead could be a blocking image in his mind that makes him hard to trust others. However, I salute the way he thinks thru and quick on his feet esp the 2nd Surgery where he was asked about the 1st Surgery pre-op procedure, etc etc.  Strangely Dr Seo reminds me much of Dr Kang of Season 1... strong headed yet good with their skills and no matter what happens within their own personal window...they give their all to patients.

My fear after seeing end of Ep 4 a clip of Dr Park Min-Kook being sent to work at Doldam. My fear is because he knew there was recording of 2nd Surgery by his staff yet he denied it to the Minister's son.  That's integrity gone...to lie to the Minister's son there is no recording? He knows there is a recording because during the 2nd Surgery he actually turn look at the nurse like sending a message to her to stop recording hereon... it was like covering up something that happen and wanting to blame Doldam team.  To think Master Kim let him do the 2nd Surgery because Dr PMK graduated from John Hopkins... hmmm...  that reminds me of Dr Song in Season 1 where President DoYW cover up for Dr Song mistake in the OR and put the blame on Master Kim... Now for this case could DoYW cover up for Dr ParkMK and send him to Doldam indirectly to spy on Master Kim and create havoc as he did when he sends Dr Song and team to Doldam in Season 1

too lengthy already...i better stop here... thanks all for sharing and I am glad I hope on to this Dr Romantic 2 ride and it's going to be a great amazing ride ...

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

On 1/18/2020 at 3:51 AM, kaqueski said:

I agree with all you have said, but in her defence I would say the reason she lasts until now is her perseverance - she asks Seo Woo Jin for help with practical parts, she doesnt quit being a doctor after Kim Sabu tells her to. I didn't like it she blames others for her failing in operation room though.. that part I would like to see her character grow out of it. I hate seeing an incompetent female doctor and getting labeled "this is why I dont hire female" like her senior have stated. I start seeing scenes where people noticed her worth - e.g. the flail chest patient where both nurse Park and the other ER doctor was skeptical with her management, but turn out she was right and quick witted despite seeing flail chest only one. She was also noted to do excellent in her academic research and very strong foundation in theory. I believe she's being fleshed out with progression and development after meeting the right people. So let's all wait and see.

Wonderfully put! She is willing to put in the hard work to improve herself and I love her for that too! Not everyone is going to be a gifted doctor- some people have to work to improve their skills. And sometimes it is easier to blame others for your incompetence just because you don't know how to deal with it yourself- its not because she is evil but just immature. So she may not be an ideal female lead but she is shown to be a human- someone susceptible to making errors. I also believe that she will mature and learn in Doldam and that would be a very beautiful transformation. We already know that she has a good heart- with trying to get the surgery footage and apologising to Seo Woo jin and that is a good enough start.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1