[Drama 2019-2020] Elegant Mother and Daughter/Gracious Revenge, 우아한 모녀

nohamahamoud2002

2 hours ago, reydevan said:
  Hide contents

Oh man, after EH says sorry to Carrie, she also says sorry to EH. Haiz. Yeah it sounds stupid but I guess after all the richard simmons, hurt, pain and tears you went through and also knowing that you are going to die soon, you just wanna make peace and let go of all the hatred. 

Carry did kidnap EH's child. Two wrongs don't make a right no matter what.

I want to know how they will reconcile Sera and Yoora. Haejoon is a bumbler whose sexy efforts made me want to throw up, so let's try to forget him. Sera deserves a real man like Danny, or anyone else.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/23/2020 at 7:51 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

Eun Ha still can't figure out why she should apologize ... for anything :rolleyes:

The hospital ER staff will let patients just jump up and run

They made Doo Ri cry

And now even the nun is lying!

Gonna need a few more episodes ...

BTW - If Carry dies, she better not be the only one! 

Yes I can't believe it was ok for the nun to lie. I really loved this drama at the start, but it turned into a comedy show at the end. I had very high hopes for this drama. So disappointed  how it's turning out.

I'm happy with Sera and Danny together, but I was not happy with her wavering at Jennis being all fake angelic again. Jennis makes me want to vomit now.

Re Sera and Danny, I want to add he was never anything more than a servant to Jennis and Carry. He was not a member of the family. But he and Sera were real friends in the end. And they had spark. So it made sense for her to call him and rely on him. And he would wonder about her. I'm glad to see them couple up. They have more in them than the main couple who look like snakes to me now.

I am not happy with the Sera and Danny pairing.  I think Sera should be on her own.  She needs some major adjustment in her personality and some major healing.  Don't forget on her own, she too did some really evil things.  

I would have preferred to see Danny with the secretary.  Those two are truly loyal, generous people.  

am surprised at how nicely it is wrapping up. think it is mostly down to the strong acting especially from the older cast who have been able to sell the madness. even the younger cast got into the groove and were able to sell their character. read that this is actually sera's first acting role which is surprising because she really brought the psycho. sera and danny seem like an odd coupling but given the friendship, it makes sense that she would call him at her crisis as she is not someone who has that many friends in the first place. for whatever reason, he sees a different vulnerable side to her and rather than treat her like a kid, he has always treated her as woman. so it makes sense that it might develop further into a romance now that both of them are not chasing their dream of hae joon or jenis. so we will probably have an open ending there rather than a full developed romance.

it is interesting and ironic that eun ha now only remembers sera. basically the people she rejected to chase the fantasy, as jenis put it, are now the ones by her side. even her apology was well acted by the actress-- so behind all that arrogant bravado was a river of fear and hence, she was unwilling to apologize. the drama's theme repeatedly seems to be that for all the grandiose revenge, sometimes, all we really want is an apology in order to let go. what I liked was that there was no sudden personality transplant. am watching another drama where this happened and all of us viewers are basically cursing. here, eun ha remained herself till the accident and we are only seeing this side of her after she has dementia. there was also some great acting by the carrie actress in that apology scene as well..both carrie and eun ha are paying the price of their actions and so it feels satisfactory. like @tulip06 noted, two wrongs don't make a right. so it feels apt that even carrie would face the weight of her actions and not get a full free pass. all that is left is J thief who will be jailed. dori will go to dubai with his mom.

for those wondering, what is the next drama after this --

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2019-2020] Elegant Mother and Daughter/Gracious Revenge, 우아한 모녀

The actress playing EH is excellent. She manages that range from a weeping mother to someone callously dismissing the hurt she had inflicted on Carrie and YK.  Her frightened look in the last episode was also well done. I have seen great crying scenes, flirty, angry scenes from Kdrama actors but when it comes to fear, their eyes just missed it. 

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

Sounds like something that was aldy done like 10101019 times. Lol.

Just watched the last eps and teared up. Oh Carrie. I think some pple are gonna throw stones cos like they predicted 

Spoiler

Carrie died and the rest cept J thief went on to live happily. EH pretended to lose her memory abt Jenis but she still got her family back. So damn sad for Carrie. She did not deserve this. After all the richard simmons she went through, she deserved her happiness. I really wanted EH to die instead and Carrie to be happy with her family. Her life was just too tragic. =(

I cannot believe Carrie died. And EH was forgiven, what the hell? Great acting and good directing, but that can’t save a terrible script and bad writing.

Anyway, I’m gonna give the next drama, “Fatal Promise”, a try. I like Park Hana so let’s see what this is about. If I don’t like it, I’ll watch my older dramas. Maybe I’ll re-watch “Heaven’s Promise” or “Mysterious Personal Shopper/Doll’s House”.

@reydevan @chococarmela ~ waiting for subs but unless there's some drastic swerves, am okay with the ending. from the beginning, it seemed like carrie would have a sad ending. but the reason I think it is not actually that sad is mostly because of the scene with the nun where carrie said that she was actually relieved by the diagnosis. her only concern was that she was leaving the kids with a lot of unresolved hurt. in some ways, carrie finding peace was the happy ending. she basically half died 30 years ago and never really found the strength to live a full life. so even though she had jenis, she was always waiting for the revenge to complete to truly live. however, both jenis and carrie find that revenge didn't bring any happiness and they are still at the same spot from all those years ago. so letting go of the grudge, finding forgiveness and forgiving each other was the key to becoming happy. so from that perspective, it wasn't so much about eunha getting a free pass but rather that carrie and jenis need to move on and smile again. carrie also didn't lose to eunha in the sense that she was the one who ended up with jenis. even though she was technically the kidnapper, jenis was bonded to her to such a large emotional extent that she couldn't really accept her biological family. and because of all the drama, there could never be a true repair. 

eunha losing her memory meant that jenis was also free to pursue her own life without feeling a sense of guilt that she has to cut ties with them. so in many ways, it was a kind of gift for jenis. if eunha had died, then jenis would have been stuck with guilt and remorse and not able to move on with her life. if eunha was fully in her senses, she would forever be a pain and jenis would never be happy in her marriage because eunha just can't help interfering. eunha loses because she doesn't get jenis in the end. so she chases jenis for 30 years and in the end is rejected. so yea, she is alive but she does have dementia and brain damage. so not exactly a normal life and who knows for how long depending on complications. so from that sense, she did pay the price for her actions. 

16 minutes ago, Lmangla said:

eunha loses because she doesn't get jenis in the end. so she chases jenis for 30 years and in the end is rejected. so yea, she is alive but she does have dementia and brain damage. so not exactly a normal life and who knows for how long depending on complications. so from that sense, she did pay the price for her actions. 

Wow. That’s quite a good perspective... and it also makes the drama tragic, in a way. They all had their different endings, which showed the price of revenge, not a price to pay because of revenge. I still think Janice should be held accountable too, as well as Inchul and Sera. But this drama focuses on how revenge affects everyone, even the one pursuing it, not the ones who pushed that person to get revenge. In a way, that’s... sad. Reminds me of Hamlet (without everyone dying. I did want that though.) :joy:

yea @chococarmela ~ I do think that jenis and sera got off easy but like you said, the drama seems to look at the impact of revenge on everyone involved. in some sense, both jenis and sera have already pre-paid with miserable childhoods where they were never sure if they were loved etc. so I guess the writer thought it was time for them to find peace and not have this cycle of misery. it also helps that the drama is so far out that I stopped expecting anything realistic. my bar was pretty low -- I was just happy that no one got personality transplants. :sweatingbullets:

On 3/25/2020 at 4:05 PM, Lmangla said:

what difference does an apology make? if it is years later, does it make a difference? after all, an apology cannot undo the past right? here we see the power of an apology. yes, the past cannot be undone but the tone of the present and future changes. inchul finally apologizes and stops waiting for eun ha. must say the actor does a nice job of crying. it is interesting to see him acknowledge that he was basically destroyed by love. we often see love as this all encompassing good thing in dramas but here, it basically destroyed a man's conscience. his love for eun ha meant that he went along and hid her secrets even though he knew he was wrong. his love for eunha also meant that he was unable to apologize earlier. carrie acknowledges the real culprit as eunha but as he points out, staying silent can be just as harmful. and it seemed that after all the revenge, the apology was really what carrie needed to let go and move on. she also apologized to him and he told her that he had forgiven her. interestingly, she also needed that as she has been struggling with the weight of her actions. by telling her to take care of yoora, he acknowledges that time cannot be turned for either of them and jenis is hers.

both eunha and J thief are unwilling to apologize because they don't see the point as time cannot be turned back. however, there are slight differences in the attitude it seems. eunha is still arrogant and believes her actions are justified and good. she still thinks she did a favour to hae joon and she was the sole victim. J thief has no such qualms, knows he was wrong but can't be bothered to apologize as he just wants to survive. so it looks like jail for J thief?

it is interesting that yoo kyung would rather have carrie be the mother of jenis than eunha. so she really sees eunha as a bad evil influence. based on the preview, it looks like inchul gives eunha divorce papers and and jenis cuts ties for good. will sera also leave? so eunha has to experience loss in order to understand why her actions hurt so many people years ago.

Sorry just caught up with the posts so this is rather late reaction.

I don't see it as Inchul's love for EH. They were not in any relationship before their marriage. She was busy pursuing another man.  He was just an acquaintance to her.  He used her crime of dereliction of duty and malpractice to blackmail her into marrying him.  I say crime because she would at the least lost her medical license if her deeds were made known.  Inchul didn't speak up about the wrongdoings - he would have lost his leverage. He also destroyed whatever evidence Carrie's husband gave him. Basically he was greedy & took what he wanted by any means. 

Just wondering if Dori was raised in Dubai? I had the feeling he came from the US? if so,  would he have understood the words his Mum said? I get that the producers want to reach out to the S Arabians for sponsorship & to expand their viewership. But it seems so contrived & appears politically motivated. Bordered more on the distasteful side to me. 

the only good thing that happened in the end was Danny/Se Ra got together :smirk: I didn't really care about the main couple romance 

things that bug me:

- Eun Ha is pretending to have amnesia? at the final episode, 23 minutes she says "Thank you Se Ra for for helping me be punished like this. For helping me cut ties with your sister" 

- did no one tell Jennis Hae Joon could've given her his liver instead of Carrie. 

- Jae Myung was such a cartoonish character he didn't show any real developments like other characters, I wish his evil deeds about stealing inventions/killing Carrie's husband were revealed to the world

- people telling Do Ri that everything is a game 

- the ending scene?? I'm in denial, that's not a ghost :tears: I want to believe that she survived 2 years later

What can I say? I predicted that Carrie went to the big corporation in the sky. My time leap was off.  HJ and Janice stuck together before the leap. I was not watching throughout the show, but as usual Kdramas like to whitewash the baddies, so SR regrets that she was brought up by her mother and Janice  by Carrie. She tells her mother that Carrie has bested her. We then have a woman who is  really not bad but a victim of circumstances, so pairing her with Danny and having an intact family - picture taking- is not highly unwarranted. She had a mean streak in the few episodes in the beginning and still has it at the ending. Poor guy. EH is also rendered pathetic, while she has not paid for her crimes, she is supposed to be punished by pretending she does not recognise Janice, so breaking the ties is easier for Janice. What a sacrifice:smirk:.  What happens to Ms. Oh?

Are Korean prisons so comfortable?

19 hours ago, chococarmela said:

cannot believe Carrie died

Tbh, I'm not that surprised about it. I predicted for Carrie to die. Usually if the protagonist is a widow with bratty children, he/she will 99.999999% die at the end. No kidding. But I'm upset that among the 5 shows I've watched that Choi Myung Gil starred in, her character died in 3. Not naming the other 2 because I swear It's like a curse when I watch kdramas.

The ending, I'm glad that EH forgot about YJ but remembers SR. Let's face it, during her whole life, she mainly cared about Yura, who doesn't even see her as a mom. But her ains were magically forgotten though. Idk about that. I don't think it's karma though since you don't feel pain if you have dementia.

SR and Danny is better than the other couple. 

7 hours ago, Secretz_lol said:

Let's face it, during her whole life, she mainly cared about Yura, who doesn't even see her as a mom. But her ains were magically forgotten though. Idk about that. I don't think it's karma though since you don't feel pain if you have dementia.

EH was still evil to the core though. I’m glad Janice cut ties with her, because it gave her a well-needed wake up call that she was a terrible person. These dramas love going this route though... they did the same thing with “Unknown Woman” where the evil mom got dementia.

SR and Danny is better than the other couple. 

I never once liked HJ or Janice. Janice was too bland and just a terrible person. HJ was cringy and all about Janice. Both were annoying. And they had no chemistry.

SR, I didn’t like her, and I still find her annoying. Always liked Danny not because he was attractive, but because he was loyal. I don’t understand why daily dramas must have couples together. SR doesn’t need a man, she’s too mentally damaged. I liked Danny and Ms. Oh together more.

But I'm upset that among the 5 shows I've watched that Choi Myung Gil starred in, her character died in 3. Not naming the other 2 because I swear It's like a curse when I watch kdramas.

She’s an amazing actress, which is what makes this more sad!

Archived