[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020/2021] Legend of Fei 有翡

sugarplum892

On 1/12/2021 at 7:26 PM, Yuui said:

I also love the no nonsense I love you and am not doubting your love for me. It is tiresome how many times dramas repeat the "romance intrigue" plots. It is really nice to see them staying away from it. :wub:

kekeke, it is a nice way to force XY to be more straight forward and not hide behind "I am dying soon" 

I don't get it either.  Some are trying to claim that their getting the feeling of mother and son relationship between them. :sweats: I really don't think they are watching the same drama as us. 

Mother-son relationship?  Honestly?  Hahahahaha  I don't think they watch the same drama as us.  In costume drama, WYB does not look that young and he played his role well.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I’m seeing so many posters about the finale coming up.

lol k bye I need to disappear off the net for a while before I kick myself for accidentally scrolling something.

:smashes:

have fun for those of you who get early access! I’ll catch up to chit chat once I’m 100% doooone.

• LOL 4

That was a satisfactory ending..

Spoiler

The second kiss scene has taken place in a beautiful settings. I guess they just declared themselves married with Ah Fei wearing a red dress, everybody seems to already accept them as a married couple anyways.

Did i miss something but is Chu Chu's brother dead or still missing?, she doesn't seemed all that concern, guess they'd forgot about him?

• Like 1
  • Blob 1

They changed so much toward the end but.... Yay to happy ending!!!!

10 hours ago, jewelsc said:

That was a satisfactory ending..

Hide contents

The second kiss scene has taken place in a beautiful settings. I guess they just declared themselves married with Ah Fei wearing a red dress, everybody seems to already accept them as a married couple anyways.

Did i miss something but is Chu Chu's brother dead or still missing?, she doesn't seemed all that concern, guess they'd forgot about him?

Actually I don’t think so because XY said he asked her parents 6 times to marry their daughter but they haven’t agreed yet lol. But I mean it’s ultra clear they are pretty much married by the end. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

finished the drama
I rate it 6.9/10

theme song not powerful enough , insert song by male lead is autotune flat
very obvious second half lost momentum as it shift to growing supporting characters stories , emphasis on poison - trap - army

natural scenery is average , CGI background overused but still within acceptable , not too fake
IIRC they had to stop filming at around 70% of the schedule due to pandemic and restart

ending is alright , enough time to explain the aftermath
boss fight is ok , a few minutes long

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Mainland Chinese Drama 2020/2021] Legend of Fei 有翡

I would rate this 9.5/10 because I just love the storyline and for once there's happy ending (jump up and down with joy).  I did initially fast forward some episodes to concentrate only on the main leads but have since rewatch a few episodes a few times especially the earlier ones as I like the way the story unfold and we could see the evolution of all the characters.  Them becoming accepting to who they are, their strength and weaknesses and of course I just love the fighting parts.  I thought it was awesome.  The CGI needs to be improved but since some parts had to be stopped due to the pandemic I would imagine that they have constraints in terms of background.  I love the theme songs especially Wu Hua (duet) and Xi Wei (WYB) as the wordings kind of meaningful which was appropriate.  Some parts had me tearing up and I am very happy with this pairing.  :approves:

• Like 2
  • Love 3

this show had a subliminal message that all the sect in the pugilistic world submit their special skill into a booklet manual form for storage at 48zhai and be included in a "encyclopedia"

all characters are overly-enthusiastic to do it

in other wuxia stories , sects don't share their secret skill with outsiders  because it can be countered , making them sure-lose in duels
 and without exclusivity they will have trouble getting recruits to be their free labour

it just doesn't make sense to me , as a wuxia story plot

it mirrors the current economy over there as private enterprises are encouraged to be absolute loyal

• Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 6:43 PM, Hynaya said:

Were Big Madame Li and Lord Gangtang still alive / dead in the end? Oh, I don't wanna see another death !!! : "

Spoiler

They're alive.  After she was poisoned by the evil poison lady, he took her to Penglai for treatment where she made a full recovery.

• Like 1

Ok I finally marathon-ed over 2 weekends and finished it. I can now return to social media in peace. :D

btw, episode 51 question:

Spoiler

Did they ever explain why Shen Tianshu lost his footing when he saw the name on the sword? 

spacer.png

I'd give this an 8.5/10. Gave an extra 0.5 because I am a fan of both ZLY and WYB.

The positives:

I think the reason why most of here are because of Zhao Li Ying and Wang Yi Bo so as fans of them, I'd say you'd have to watch. They are cute together.

It is generally a very light and family-friendly show. Characters are likeable/lovable. Show is fun to watch because there are funny banters, action sword-fights and general all feel-good vibes. Would I recommend this? Yes. I would not classify this as a blockbuster series, but if you have the extra time then I'd say watch this. This is essentially Legend of the Condor Heroes female lead version where female lead literally takes on the entire lead role with noob kungfu at the beginning but progresses better as she meets martial arts masters and comes across many kungfu manuals along the way. That's not the main story, though - as there is a big bad organisation out to steal some treasure that she is also after. 

The negatives - I do apologise in advance because this is going to be a bit of a rant so I shall spoiler tag this section. Please don't hate me. :sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

So, here's the rundown of Legend of Fei The Adventures of Zhou Fei and Friends.

I felt that the show fell flat starting from Xie Yun's bone-chilling arc. The pacing was rather off from this point on because trying to fit in so many characters and conspiracies in a 51-episode show was too much and all over the place. From this point up to about the late 40's, we had to slot in Yin Pei, Small Medicine Valley, Xie Yun's monk childhood, Yu Wenzhi and the occasional Anping Army which (facepalm) I still don't see what their role was in this show other than to take Lord Gantang away for 9/10th of the show. 

Plot hole 1 - Anping Army, Yu Wenzhi, Zichen and the previous dynasty. Seriously, after 51 episodes I'm clueless as to who and what these people are/were trying to do and their relationships with each other. Yu Wenzhi literally appeared out of nowhere during the big 48 Fortress battle and just appears on and off as a big bad with an army. Literally no background here. Zichen - don't get me started with this guy. He had one job which was to bring Poison Woman to 48 Fortress and that's it. This scene sums up how I feel whenever he comes on:

spacer.png

Plot hole 2 - Demons in general. Shen Tianshu's motives were never really clear from the start. Even his dumping of Poison Woman was rather quick? It felt like they just create his motives along the way and there was no real build-up. He's just a bad guy who goes around killing people even when he tells them that he won't.

I mentioned above that this was a light-hearted show and that is personally a problem to me but I suppose I have myself to blame for not checking what the book was all about. I expected heavier and more serious undertones like Princess Agents but this had none of that. The deaths barely impacted me (only Duan Jiuniang's death did) and I felt nothing when the few characters like Fisherman, Old Madam Wang, Master Qi, Yin Pei, General Wen Yu died. Which brings me to my next point;

ZLY's performance - I watched the show because I have been a big fan. I love her acting and I love her previous works but I felt that her talent was diminished in this show. She didn't have many memorable lines and scenes. Only these 3 scenes in the collage below moved me a little (even so, nowhere near to the effect of her previous works). Most of her focus were on the sword moves which I give credit for as she did the stunts herself. .. though I wished they described her South Blade swordsmanship a little more because it's supposed to be something technical. Instead, all they did was show flashbacks of her grandfather.

spacer.png

WYB's performance - I liked him from The Untamed but I personally think he's not suited to play Xie Yun. Not that he's doomed to play a serious introvert for life, but I could see that he's still a little amateur-ish in the way he played Xie Yun. I can't really put a pin to it but it's probably a mixture of the "exasperated" eyes he makes and generally just .. stiff-ness.

ZLY + WYB chemistry - ok no complaints here. I think they're fine! Not the best on-screen chemistry in history, but they have a lot of sweet and aww moments. Too many to list so I won't. I don't think ZLY is too old for WYB in this show simply because she looks so young.

CG and editing - bad. notice how the same forest gets recycled over and over? But I suppose I won't blame them since their filming schedule got delayed due to the pandemic.

Supporting characters I think we could have done without - these 3. I mean they added comic relief to the show but I tend to fast forward every scene with them.

spacer.png

Couples - I must say Li Sheng + Chu Chu were very close to overtaking ZF + XY for me. If they had more screen time, they just might. :D I'm glad to see Li Sheng matured from a bratty, jealous cousin to a reliable and strategic leader. Luckily Chu Chu wasn't a damsel in distress either (though, I pity the fact they just forgot about her lil brother altogether)

spacer.png

• Like 4