[Mainland Chinese Drama 2020/2021] Legend of Fei 有翡

sugarplum892

@arcchidus Just finished episode 11 and 12 and now I WANT episode 13 & 14... Even though I don't get half of the things they are talking about. :sweats:

I don't mind the pace changing time to time... it is nice to get a bit of a break some times. And so far they have been good and given us some nice crumbs of Zhou Fei's and Xie Yun's inner thoughts and feelings. :heart4:

• Like 1

Read a bit more about how they changed the ML’s identity... the reason for the change is because based on the current broadcasting rules in China, if the show is historical and it touches on royal intrigues it must fit into history and you are not allowed to include fictitious kingdoms. 

So in terms of who ML is based on the show...

Spoiler

He is this guy according to Chinese fans based on what is known so far https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiao_Zhuang

His life is pretty depressing in history but hopefully it means our ML will end up faking his death after achieving world peace and just love free and happy at the end or something like that. 

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Insightful 2

I think this may well become one of the best wuxia drama in recent years.  The story is new and not a remake so it is fresh.  Styling is truly authentic to wuxia.  

On 12/17/2020 at 8:26 AM, Yuui said:

@jewelsc It is funny, but I am happy they didn’t try to fix it with CGI. Also because the flash backs are around 10 years back it would be hard to use younger actors. (It is not like they are 10-12 years in does flashbacks). Although if they didn't state how far ago the flashbacks are I just presume it was a few years before. :sweat_smile:

Yea, I am also happy that YB is doing a really good job with his acting and chemistry with ZLY. Although after I saw the last trailer I wasn't so worried. :blush:

Must give the post-production crew a thumbs up for the way they cut the trailers. A lot of clips are cut together that don’t go together. 

The CGI could've been better, but since this is a Wuxia drama, there shouldn't be too many scenes in which it is needed.  Legend of Fei may be the very first wuxia drama in which the heroine take the usual road that the 'hero' usually take in traditional Wuxia drama.  I'm excited to see what will unfold in the upcoming episodes as it seems like the first ten episodes are for world setting and foreshadowing.

I heard others who have read the novel commented that the adaptation is close to the original and that we have not enter the main storylines yet.  Episode 1-12 is about 1/4 or 1/5 of the novel.  The exciting stuff starts happening as you get further into the plot.  If the drama follow closely to the novel, this mean that the drama should get better with each episodes.  

• Wiggle 1

I have watched all the 12 episodes subbed and cannot wait for next week's episodes.  I really love how the two leads getting entangled in various problems and solve it together.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, i wonder how A-Fei will feel for XY.  She has not any love feelings for him yet, but deep inside of her, has been a great influence as he is the first outsider she has met and has been her first saviour.  So, she has a lot of belief in him and his smart ideas which has made her to follow him without a doubt.  She did not even understand what Chuchu told when she tied the wooden blade made by him to a string around her neck.  I wonder when she will have those girly feelings for him.  

The editing is quite messy and pacing is improving as the episodes start to go into main plot line.  Since the story is interesting, i have got used to the dubbing of the leads, meh!!!!!  But i feel that they wasted too much time on demons manor finding Wu Chuchu.   waiting for li sheng and A-fei reunion.  Will LS and AF from the 48 clan will be forever be held up down the mountain??  Will have to wait and see what all dangers they are going to encounter????

I dont see that great of a chemistry between YB and ZYL, can pass to watch the rest of the episodes.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@tea4two Yea, I've also seen comments on the internet that a lot of the novel fans are happy, so far, with this adaptation. 

I love that it feels like a real wuxia drama, like the old ones but with a more modern plot. (if that makes sense?) saw some that wanted more "romance", but I think it is good that they are letting Fei be innocent for a bit more. Also it has given some sweet-comedic moments that I really haven't seen in a drama before. 

ZDEKZdZ.gif

(The aphrodisiac moment)

ZF: what was the last one?

XY: a kind of sauce   :loolz:

24 minutes ago, pad-hari said:

I have watched all the 12 episodes subbed and cannot wait for next week's episodes.  I really love how the two leads getting entangled in various problems and solve it together.  Now that the cat is out of the bag, i wonder how A-Fei will feel for XY.  She has not any love feelings for him yet, but deep inside of her, has been a great influence as he is the first outsider she has met and has been her first saviour.  So, she has a lot of belief in him and his smart ideas which has made her to follow him without a doubt.  She did not even understand what Chuchu told when she tied the wooden blade made by him to a string around her neck.  I wonder when she will have those girly feelings for him.  

The editing is quite messy and pacing is improving as the episodes start to go into main plot line.  Since the story is interesting, i have got used to the dubbing of the leads, meh!!!!!  But i feel that they wasted too much time on demons manor finding Wu Chuchu.   waiting for li sheng and A-fei reunion.  Will LS and AF from the 48 clan will be forever be held up down the mountain??  Will have to wait and see what all dangers they are going to encounter????

I dont see that great of a chemistry between YB and ZYL, can pass to watch the rest of the episodes.

I like how for once it is the male lead thinking of marriage and the female lead has no clue about love. :hahah!: 

But I do think they have chemistry, it's just that at the moment XY is speaking about one thing and ZF is speaking of something else in the same conversation. 

The dub is the one thing I really don't like, especially after they released behind the scenes where you can hear how good it could have been if they used ZLY and YB own voices. The CGI, the sometimes bad cutting/transitions between scenes and the cinematography I can let go of because it isn't so bad that it takes me out of the drama.     

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, pad-hari said:

I think YB had better chemistry with XZ in The Untamed for sure but I don’t think his chemistry between ZYL is bad. It’s a pretty convincing friendship which I think is suitable for this series.

AF’s only example of a romantically involved couple seemed to be her parents growing up since she grew up in that little fort in the mountain and never went outside. Her mother is so outwardly cold and really only show her love to her father by protecting him and listening to his opinion. If you consider that, AF is already well in her way to falling in love.

It probably helps that XY is kind of weak but much more learned like her father... as they say girls often fall in love with men like their father. :sweat_smile:

On top of everything, although XY is flirty and obviously likes spending time with AF, given he is sick and doesn’t think he has long to live he is never really serious about anything beyond close friendship.

Pacing wise... I think it’s pretty on par with the novel... which started off with a lot of set up and had a slow start. Hopefully it will pick up later and they will stay true to the novel and not needlessly kill ppl like some adoptions I have seen. The pacing on the last 3 episodes were pretty good though imo. I especially enjoyed the mini romance story between her grand father and JXL.

• Like 5

After two nights of marathoning, I now find myself confronted with the sad reality of having run out of episodes to watch.

Enjoyable show. The badass female lead is fun to watch. As is the way the character is evolving. Hopefully the fainting spells are over.

The male lead is a bit too smitten and a bit too demonstrative and a bit too soon at that for my liking. I was hoping for understatement and steady progression. Still my fav character in the show though.

I’m going to miss Jiu Niang. A compelling character, she was. I’m glad the Hua Rong city part is over though. It was stretching on and on.

On 12/18/2020 at 11:36 PM, arcchidus said:

Read a bit more about how they changed the ML’s identity... the reason for the change is because based on the current broadcasting rules in China, if the show is historical and it touches on royal intrigues it must fit into history and you are not allowed to include fictitious kingdoms. 

So in terms of who ML is based on the show...

Reveal hidden contents

He is this guy according to Chinese fans based on what is known so far https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xiao_Zhuang

His life is pretty depressing in history but hopefully it means our ML will end up faking his death after achieving world peace and just love free and happy at the end or something like that. 

Ah. But then the character flies over rivers and trees, and puts aside his duties to gallivant around the land, and is in love with a woman who’s growing disturbingly blasé about having to slash at people left and right...

• LOL 3

4 hours ago, impoppies said:

After two nights of marathoning, I now find myself confronted with the sad reality of having run out of episodes to watch.

We are 24h away from getting 2 new episodes, hang in there.hang in there gifs | WiffleGif

Enjoyable show. The badass female lead is fun to watch. As is the way the character is evolving. Hopefully the fainting spells are over.

Oh, god yes! I hope it is over. I would rather have seen them find a more fun way then ZF fainting waking up fainting waking up every time they needed her for a fight. :sweat_smile:

The male lead is a bit too smitten and a bit too demonstrative and a bit too soon at that for my liking. I was hoping for understatement and steady progression. Still my fav character in the show though.

I kinda like that he has taken on the typical female lead syndrome of falling in love and already planing the wedding. :hahah!:

Ah. But then the character flies over rivers and trees, and puts aside his duties to gallivant around the land, and is in love with a woman who’s growing disturbingly blasé about having to slash at people left and right...

I think it is more kill or get killed situations though. :sweats:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

8 hours ago, impoppies said:

I wouldn’t say he is gallivanting around the land and putting aside his duties since that would imply he is doing everything just for fun. In episode 1 he risked his life to bring a very capable man back to lead a large army. In more recent episodes, he basically led the big fight away from the common folks by giving free rice at the east gate. On top of that as he said to the third prince, if he goes back, his presence will undoubtedly start a war and all the normal folks will suffer for it. 

I would say he is adventuring because he has no choice but he is making the best out of his shitty cards.

• Like 4

I watched until episode 14 last night and I must say that I totally enjoyed it.  I love that ZF is not love struck.  It is kind of endearing that she is somewhat blasé with all the flirtation being that she lives in a very secluded environment with no lovey dovey examples.  XY is so funny.  I like the verbal exchanges between the various actors and actresses.  It is definitely not boring.  I love action drama and this is definitely very entertaining.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I'm really enjoying this drama and haven't been anticipating for the next epis of a drama in awhile, sometimes i wish they had done it like The Wolf (all episodes out in one day that i can binge) but in some ways, i'm glad that's not the case becos i don't think i will get anything done or even sleep for that matter haha.

LOL at all the bts...so funny.

Ah Fei at this time treats XY as a great friend, trusts him like a brother and admires his knowledge and his intelligence while XY is like a playful kid around her, he is like a teenaged-boy in love haha..their friendly relationship is so naturally smooth from day 1 as if they'd known each other since they were kids and i'll be dreading that time when XY's poison will 'catches' up on him and then we will be missing all these cute and fun moments they're having right now.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

8 hours ago, jewelsc said:

I'm really enjoying this drama and haven't been anticipating for the next epis of a drama in awhile, sometimes i wish they had done it like The Wolf (all episodes out in one day that i can binge) but in some ways, i'm glad that's not the case becos i don't think i will get anything done or even sleep for that matter haha.

I think the last Chinese drama I was this hooked to was Princess Agents :sweats:(I am hoping they don't screw the ending up this time). It's so hard to not watch the new episodes while working, so I sneak in and watch a few minutes during breaks. I am feeling like a teenager again, all giddy and sneaky with the phone during class. :joy:

8 hours ago, jewelsc said:

Ah Fei at this time treats XY as a great friend, trusts him like a brother and admires his knowledge and his intelligence while XY is like a playful kid around her, he is like a teenaged-boy in love haha..their friendly relationship is so naturally smooth from day 1 as if they'd known each other since they were kids and i'll be dreading that time when XY's poison will 'catches' up on him and then we will be missing all these cute and fun moments they're having right now.

Yea, but Fei is slowly starting to get deeper feelings for XY, she is just not connecting the dots. :lol: I just hope his poison doesn't act up before she gets it. :brokenheart:

• Like 3