[Drama 2020] Elegant Friends/Graceful Friends, 우아한 친구들

larus

Jung Hae is from a rich family just like Jae Hoon. Her mother comitted suicide when she was a high schooler and she is estranged with her father. She asked for money to her father. I wanted to asked from where she had money to give Kang San. Jae Hoon knew about her mother but not her husband. Why she never mentioned anything to him? It was a sad scene when at her wedding she remembered her mother when she saw just Goong chul`s mother sitting there.

Jung Hae could feel threaten by Hae Sook but not the other wives. To see Choon-Bok`s wife crying her eyes out that her husband has a crush on an old friend it was too much.

I like Hae Sook. I think she would have been a good partner for Goong chul. I feel sorry for her if she was accused of murder wrongfully but now Goong Chul is married with Jung Hae. Goong Chul has a soft spot for her but he loves his wife very much. Jung Hae`s secrets could make more damages in their marriage more than Hae sook.

Now I am sure that Jung Hae and Jae Hoon were together and she broke his heart. But again, that happened a log time ago. He should move on.

I think Man sik had something to do with the murder of that professor but I don`t know for sure if Jung Hae was involved (Man Sik wanted to protect her or Hae sook but he killed him accidentally) or she just was his doctor/ confident. Then I thought that maybe Jung Hae`s father was the one who made the information from the system disappear but it could be Jung Hae`s father as well.

• Like 7

I am enjoying this show but I don't understand why such rich people don't hire lawyers when they are interrogated by the police for suspicion of murder. So... I have to just accept that it's a hot mess and enjoy it for what it is.

I really like Kang Kyung-Ja, Hyeong-Woo's wife. She just seems so cool.

I'm sad Man-Sik is dead because I like the actor (Kim Won-Hae) who is playing him, and I thought he was one of the main cast, but now he's gone and only seen occasionally in flashbacks. I also liked the actresses playing his wife and daughter (both their real names are "Kim Ji-Yeong.") So they went to Canada and will never return? Feh.

But I enjoy the rest of the cast, and just want to say again how very well-cast the college-aged characters are - they really look a lot like the grown-up versions.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

But I enjoy the rest of the cast, and just want to say again how very well-cast the college-aged characters are - they really look a lot like the grown-up versions.

I don`t know the others but the actor playing young Goong Chul is well cast. And young Jae Hoon is doing good. He is quiet and introvertit just like the adult Jae Hoon. 

The drama wants to hid the identity of the man who watches at Goong chul and Jung Hae`s pictures on laptop or the one who pick up the ring at the wedding but we know it is Jae Hoon. :D

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, larus said:

The drama wants to hid the identity of the man who watches at Goong chul and Jung Hae`s pictures on laptop or the one who pick up the ring at the wedding but we know it is Jae Hoon. :D

Jae Hoon has pictures, but the real murderer also has. So I dont think its the same person. 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, airgelaal said:

Jae Hoon has pictures, but the real murderer also has. So I dont think its the same person. 

So you think that the man they don`t show is someone else and not Jae hoon?

• Like 4

It took me 8 episodes but here we are, I look forward to watching the next episodes. 

At the beginning, I was bothered because I don't like when directors show scenes which do not exist. I agree that it helps for suspense. As for me, it made me confused so I had issues to understand everything. 

The casting is really good, the young actors really look like the middle-aged actors.

My favorite character is Jae Hoon, he is really a complex person and dark LOL. I am sure that Jae Hoon is "the stalker" but I don't think he is a killer... On the other hand, I found Gong Chul too cheesy and too nice towards Hae Sook. Ok, she is his first love but he is now married to Jung Hae. It seems Jung Hae and Gong Chul liked each other at the beginning but Hae Sook was faster and dated Gong Chul. Jung Hae and Jae Hoon dated each other in the US, she tried to commit suicide then got back to SK, left Jae Hoon and married Gong Chul ? What I don't understand is that Gong Chul wanted to marry Hae Sook after his military service but finally they broke up (the first murder was before his military service) ?

The duo Hae Sook-Jae Hoon is a great danger for our couple, they will do everything to split them...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, poppie said:

On the other hand, I found Gong Chul too cheesy and too nice towards Hae Sook. Ok, she is his first love but he is now married to Jung Hae. It seems Jung Hae and Gong Chul liked each other at the beginning but Hae Sook was faster and dated Gong Chul.

I understand what you say but Goong chul is very nice with everybody. Just like the detective told him that he can get in trouble trying to protect a friend. I kind of understand why he can say no to "little favours" that Hae Sook is asking. So far they did not do anything wrong but it is better to not play with fire (so to speak). Goong chul has a soft spot for Hae Sook because it was his first love and she knows that. She provokes him, staying around him and even tell him directly what she wants. The next move for Goong Chul is to set boundaries (helping as a friend is one thing, flirting or asking for more is another). From what I saw, he is capable to remain faithful in his marriage.

It is interesting how incecure is Jung Hae in front of Hae Sook. We don`t know the whole story but I assume she came between Goong Chul and Hae Sook. Or maybe not but she witness the relationship between them in college. Probably, they were separated when Goong Chul fall in love with Jung hae.

I wish I know all the events. I am confuse about the murder (it looks like it was before the military service) and we don`t know when Goong chul broke up with Hae Sook and why.

If Jung Hae and Jae Hoon went in US for studies then it was after the murder event, probably when Goong Chul was in military.

4 hours ago, poppie said:

It seems Jung Hae and Gong Chul liked each other at the beginning but Hae Sook was faster and dated Gong Chul.

It doesn`t matter if Jung Hae liked him first, Hae sook was more asertive and she made the first move so it was a "fair game". Hae sook was popular and all the boys had a crush on her but she was not an easy person. Goong chul was the first man in her life. They became a romantic couple.

I saw that Jung Hae was looking from afar at them (she still liked him) but I noticed how Jae hoon was looking at Jung Hae too and noticed that she liked Goong Chul (I assume). But for sure, Jae Hoon had a crush on Jung Hae since school days.

It is time to find out what happened with that professor, how Hae sook was a suspect of his murder. I guess he was a sexual abuser. One of his victim killed him or someone else to protect or revenge a victim. 

There are some questions and I want answers.

Hae Sook was just a suspect. Why she was arested?  Nobody was accused and set to trail of his murder, right?

Man Sik is the one who killed him? It looks like that right now.

Jung Hae was involved or just she knows about Man Sik? She has a hard time like some dark secrets on her shoulder. She kept secret about her traumatic event, when her mother died. She never told her husband that she had a relationship with one of his friends. She kept that a secret as well. She had the hard time with Kang San. I hope everything will be in the open and she will find peace. I believe her husband will be at her side in the end. 

Why Jae Hoon got in touch with Hae sook after Man sik died and why she came back after he died? It is a coincidence?

• Like 4

I re-watched some of the episodes and have read your post; and this is what I got.

16 hours ago, airgelaal said:

Any ideas about that old lady in Nursing home? I think she is important.

This lady has ties with Jung Jae and Man-Sik. The lady is the same lady that was reading the newspaper about the professors death and was also looking at photos that were sent to her. The person who took those photos was Jung Jae. Both Jung Jae and Man-Sik felt a need to atone for whatever they did by going to visit this woman. It appears that this woman became very attached to Man-Sik. 

• Like 4

Is it possible that hae sook become the spacegoat for the crime because she got set up by the picture of her and professor going to motel taken by jung hae? 

When in reality noone knows who kill the professor but Hae sook got taken as culprit because of that photo and thats maybe why haesook resent junghae so much for that photo?

Now that the case is gone from database it must be the rich parents work ( either jung hae or jae hyun parents ) and i can see the set up for hae sook because she is the easy prey. 

So i guess Jung hae take the photo to give it to gong chul so he break up with hae sook initialy but it went dark when the murder case happen and thus hae sook appointed as the main suspect. 

Damn this is confusing but really interesting. Idk why but this kind of mystery is what i like. 

Also i am really curious how jung hae got reconnected with gong chul. I can only guess how sad gongchul was after proposing to hae sook and she disappear from his life. 

and ofcourse what happen in usa

The best is what jaehyun and haesook plan to destroy jung hae and gong chul marriage ?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Samuel Yohanes said:

When in reality noone knows who kill the professor but Hae sook got taken as culprit because of that photo and thats maybe why haesook resent junghae so much for that photo?

It is possible. Hae sook told Jung Hae that she knows what she has done. Maybe she is considering her responsable for the breakup or for her misfortunes with the police. But I don`t think Jung Hae is the type of person to do that but who knows? I understand why Hae Sook would be upset with her but Jung Hae is not that guilty. It would have been much worst if she was involved in the professor murder or knew who did it and  falsify accuse Hae Sook, or keep silent  when police took Hae Sook as a suspect. But since nobody was in jail for the crime, I could understand the silence. But still, that incident made a negative impact for many people.

I am sure that the professor was a bad man and his death was accidental or Involuntary manslaughter. It would have been better for the culprit to take responsability for what happened. Instead, he or she (or both) lived with the guilty consience and other person lived with the suspisious upon her. 

I feel sorry for everyone.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, brooksmom said:

This lady has ties with Jung Jae and Man-Sik. The lady is the same lady that was reading the newspaper about the professors death and was also looking at photos that were sent to her. The person who took those photos was Jung Jae. Both Jung Jae and Man-Sik felt a need to atone for whatever they did by going to visit this woman. It appears that this woman became very attached to Man-Sik. 

So the lady may be the professor's wife and she tried to commit suicide ? Jung Hae and Man Sik may be involved in revealing the professor's scandal that destroyed a whole family. So they felt guilty and often visited the lady. Man Sik gave his police insurance to the nurse, so did they love each other ?

• Like 4

@Samuel Yohanes 

"So i guess Jung hae take the photo to give it to gong chul so he break up with hae sook initialy but it went dark when the murder case happen and thus hae sook appointed as the main suspect."

From re-watching eps., I don't think that's the case. Jung Hae was very protective of Hae Sook as a friend. She didn't like the type of work teen Hae Sook was doing and pleaded with her to quit that work. Jung Hae didn't plan on seeing Hae Sook and the professor walk toward the hotel. When she did, I think she was going to try to use photos to scare away these perverts who abuse under age girls. And that is what she did when she sent those photos to the professors' house. But the timing was bad cause the professor was dead and the wife saw those photos. And, yes, that's when it went dark for the professors' family and Jung Hae.  Edited: I got the impression they were in high school but I guess it's in college since the younger guys are in their mid 40's now and this all started 20 years ago.

As far as trying to break up Gong Chul and Hae Sook, even though Jung Hae liked him first and he liked her too, she stepped away and let them be. I don't know what happened years later that they ended up getting married. I suspect that Jung Hae has some serious post traumatic stress disorder or major depression. And Gong Chul being the kind of guy he is wants to protect her.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, brooksmom said:

But the timing was bad cause the professor was dead and the wife saw those photos. And, yes, that's when it went dark for the professors' family and Jung Hae.

Yes, The timming was bad. I believe she wanted to do good but the results weren`t what she expected.

Without explaning why she sent the pictures, I can see why Hae Sook would resent her too.

1 hour ago, brooksmom said:

As far as trying to break up Gong Chul and Hae Sook, even though Jung Hae liked him first and he liked her too, she stepped away and let them be. I don't know what happened years later that they ended up getting married. I suspect that Jung Hae has some serious post traumatic stress disorder or major depression. And Gong Chul being the kind of guy he is wants to protect her.

I think she came back still being depressed and found solace being around Goong Chul. And he fell in love with her. I think everything should be in the open, every secrets and misunderstanding  there are should be said and both could continue their life together after everything is over.

• Like 3

This drama does appear to not be appealing to a lot of people cause it's full of older actors (40's)

but I think a lot of the previous posters are seasoned viewers too. :rolleyes: my perception. 30+

Ep 9 Pandora's Box    the following will have one spoiler. So be aware.

In a flashback to 20 yrs ago, it seems the photos of Hae Sook and the professor were circulating here and there or everywhere. They are hinting that Man-sik had a big crush on her. And so he had motive to kill the professor.  Later in ep., Gong Chul runs into Man-sik's wife at the place where his ashes are. To console her, he tells her that the crybaby at her husbands funeral is thee woman and the only person Man-sik told everything to. What! You don't say that to someone's wife.  And sure enough, Man-sik's wife was deeply hurt to know that her husband couldn't turn to his own wife for comfort.

I forgot to mention that the woman in the nursing home with the long hair is the professor's wife and she too was a professor cause GC referred to her as Professor Ku Young-sun. 

They also touched on parent-dementia or fatigue. When Choon-Bok forgot to put on his pants when he left the house to drop off his daughter at the school bus. That's happened to me before. Drove off without the baby. Made a U turn after one block.

It does look like the prostate doctor and Hae-Sook are planning and scheming to really stick it to Jung Jae.

There are two more suspects one is the director.

Spoiler:  Kang San(sp)  had a male lover

Thanks @Samuel Yohanes I didn't want to be greedy and give the low down on ep 9 by myself.:kiss_wink:

• Like 2
  • Love 1

HOLY MOLY THIS EP 9 IS THE ONE!!!!

SO first of all

1. Jung hae promise jaehyun she will marry him but jaehyun lost contact with her for 1 month and suddenly she came back and say she couldnt marry him because she got someone to marry and one where she can live.

Jaehyun got really mad and i think This is why he still hold grudge until now.

2.the flashback 20 years ago... the one who kill the professor is not Hae Sook... it is manshik. ( confirmed by scene later when jung hae seeing manshik out of professor room to see him full of blood ). The one things is that gong chul know about manshik involvement but he save him by taking the evidence from the scene ( pen ) 

3. About gang san... yes he got male lover and the male lover is consultating with jung hae. Btw there are some scene in ep 9 preview that hadnt been in ep 9 yet. For example when the male lover meet Mira/aera. Damn this will get complex soon. 

Also there is someone who just comeback from business trip and he say that he seen hyung woo ( i dont really understand the context but i think it will be important ) 

4. Gong chul confront hae sook about how she got the information about manshik funeral and... gong chul and junghae marriage. But we didnt see the answer from her. Instead we saw jung hae come to the bar and try to enter but jaehyun hold her hand and drag her away asking to talk.

Jaehyun say does she scared of haesook or she couldnt trust gong chul? She couldnt trust gongchul it seems. 

Damn jaehyun is one of a kind indeed. 

I will wait for ep 10 before giving full thoughts

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Ep 10 raw.  My impression is that a lot of grown men and women are suffering for something that happened 20 yrs ago.

The whole kit and caboodle is surely heading  toward a mental institution  - short of diving off a building which we saw in ep1(GC's dream). They all should have fessed up to the crime 20 yrs ago. Confession is good for the soul. Only one person killed the professor being accidental or not. And only one person finally killed off Kang San. But it appears all of these "graceful friends" are dying of guilt for something they did.

I hope they give us some more clues soon. It's hard to watch an hour of  grown men suffering.

• Like 5