[Drama 2020] Elegant Friends/Graceful Friends, 우아한 친구들

larus

8 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@Sleepy Owl  "As for the murder of Kang San, those who are wondering. It was Jae Hoon who came back in order to clean the murder scene. Kudos to those who had predicted it. He murdered Kang San in hot blood and left. Sometime later, he must have realized it and came back to clean up the scene.

I have a  different theory:  Jae Hoon hit Kang san with the trophy; Goong Chul finished killing him off by dragging his body to the bathroom and banging his injured head several times against the porcelain sink. A third person  erased fingerprints, cleaned blood in living room and packed off evidence.

Clue:  Detective says in a ep5 around 10 min into the ep, after interrogating Goong chul; how can he kill him and erase finger prints all in 10 or so min.  

Clues are that they show one man wearing a black cap and another man wearing a "black hat" the kind you wear to go fishing.

Clue:  ep.13 at 1:06:29 They zero in on the man in the 'black hat" and at that point they magnify it by showing what we think is the same image times three. The one on the left has Goong Chuls' eyes without glasses, the one in the middle has Jae Hoons' eyes, and the one in the right has the movie directors' eyes. Your eyes then zero in on the one in the middle, Jae Hoon.

Ep.17 at 04:00 is shifted, the eyes on the right are Jae Hoons',  the middle eyes are Goong Chuls' without glasses, and  the movie directors' eyes are still on the right. I zeroed in on Goon chuls' eyes.

In ep17 at 01:45 Jae Hoon hits Kang san with the trophy, picks up Kang sans' extra phone and leaves.

A few seconds later,  at 2 min 20 sec, we see Kang san getting up. He is alive at this point. The camera catches it then scene fades out.

At 2 min 55 sec, "black hat" person enters.

Kang san is laying on floor with small pool of blood. Man turns Kang san on his back then drags him to the bathroom, finished him off by banging his injured head against the porcelain sink a few times. Puts him under the shower and starts the shower.  He leaves with the bag.

Ep. 13 at 1 hr 4 min 48 sec., we see him cleaning up, taking trophy, shoes and putting them in the black bag.

My conclusion is that 2 or 3 people were at the scene.  The two that murdered Kang san: Jae Hoon and Goong Chul, and the cleanup person, the movie director. Taking turns.

I don't really think anyone other than Jae Hoon is involved. Firstly as I said, Jae Hoon left and came back with sort of different clothes. That could be because he had to discard his old clothes which would have blood or any other proof on it. He gets changed and comes back to clean it. 

Imagine if Goong Chul had done it, would he really have come prepared for it? Same with Hyung Woo, would any of them come with the plan to clean the scene? They both had motive, but their motives would end up with hot blooded murder, not a planned one like this. Even Jae Hoon killed him in hot blood, but he came back to clean up everything and it is expected from Jae Hoon. Others would arrive, see a dead body and would not even care to clean the scene, because they were not at all involved. Remember whoever cleaned the scene, has faked it and has also all evidence, which is Jae Hoon. If Goong Chul or even Hyung Woo would have the murder weapons, they would really not send it to Jae Hoon. 

As long as it was not planned by all three of them, it is not possible what you said. Who ever has killed, has cleaned up the scene and took the evidences. Because none of them would care to clean up the mess other person caused. 

All Those scenes you are talking about, are just their method of making us confused. Just like the scene in which Jung Hae steals the body which I really can't figure out how and why she did it.

• Like 4

@Sleepy Owl  "All Those scenes you are talking about, are just their method of making us confused. Just like the scene in which Jung Hae steals the body which I really can't figure out how and why she did it."

Exactly! that's my point. "making us confused"

But how do you explain everything your are saying, murder, leave, go back to change clothes..  All in 10 min or so.

These guys were tight. They did and always do cover for each other. Goon chul and Man siks pen. The murderer didn't own a pair of red heels so he shouldn't have cared. Goon chul gives Jae Hoon blood. Jae sook covers for the guys.

Plus the detective said many times that he couldn't get anyone because they were covering each others back the same as it was 20 years ago. And at the end of the drama, all of the guys walk off into the sunset.  All for one and one for all.

Adding info. I think Jung Jae felt sorry for Kang san even though he was a baddie. She didn't steal him for his organs. She claimed him and cremated him since he was an orphan. I don't get the back clothes and cap. A sign of mourning? Maybe she did it as a request from her patient who used to be his roommate. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@Sleepy Owl  "All Those scenes you are talking about, are just their method of making us confused. Just like the scene in which Jung Hae steals the body which I really can't figure out how and why she did it."

Exactly! that's my point. "making us confused"

But how do you explain everything your are saying, murder, leave, go back to change clothes..  All in 10 min or so.

These guys were tight. 

Plus the detective said many times that he couldn't get anyone because they were covering each others back the same as it was 20 years ago. And at the end of the drama, all of the guys walk off into the sunset.  All for one and one for all.

Jae Hoon had all the time to do it. Not Goong Chul. The cops talking about 10 mins thing was for Goong Chul, because he was claiming to have murdered Kang San. But everyone arrived 10 mins after Goong Chul, so they stated that he could not have done it in 10 mins. 

Jae Hoon on the other hand had a lot of time. Remember, Jae Hoon the first to enter that house and also the last one to leave. Do you really think Goong Chul would cover up for Jae Hoon by cleaning up the scene and faking it? Same goes for Hyung Woo. They are the type to cover for each other but to the extent of hiding small things. Plus even if Goong Chul did the faking of scene and Hyung Woo did the clean up as you said, how did all those murder weapons and other things end up with Jae Hoon? 

To me the most logical way is Jae Hoon murdering, coming back with different clothes to clean up the scene and taking all the evidence with himself. Being a doctor, he also had an idea how to fake the murder being done in bathroom. 

Now if I need to explain the order in which people arrived at the scene is, Jae Hoon, then Hyung Woo, then Kang San, then Jung Hae and finally Goong Chul after everything had happened much later.

• Like 4

@Sleepy Owl  I blame the scriptwriters for our difference of opinions.

@Sleepy Owl or anyone. At what point in this time line can Jae Hoon hide in the closet, murder someone, leave the crime scene, return to the crime scene, stage the crime scene, clean up, pack evidence, change clothes again, and join friends.

Timeline from episode 4

ep4

1.Goong chul punches Kang san.

2.He and his other two buddies, Hyung woo and Choon bok go to their drinking hangout but it's closed.

3.Goong chul, Hyung woo, Choon bok go to Jae Hoons' place with drinks in hand to hangout with him.

4.All four eat and drink a few bottle/cans of alcohol.

5.All of the sudden Goong chul gets a call from Kang san saying that his wife is on her way over to his place.

6.Goong chul rushes out,  all three friends are in hot pursuit after him. 

7.Jung Jae arrives and leaves Kang sans place. Her alibi is the video

8.Goon chul arrives at Kang sans place. Kang san is dead.

9.Jae Hoon, Hyung woo, and Choon bok arrive 10 mins later according to their testimony.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, brooksmom said:

@Sleepy Owl  I blame the scriptwriters for our difference of opinions.

@Sleepy Owl or anyone. At what point in this time line can Jae Hoon hide in the closet, murder someone, leave the crime scene, return to the crime scene, stage the crime scene, clean up, pack evidence, change clothes again, and join friends.

Timeline from episode 4

ep4

1.Goong chul punches Kang san.

2.He and his other two buddies, Hyung woo and Choon bok go to their drinking hangout but it's closed.

3.Goong chul, Hyung woo, Choon bok go to Jae Hoons' place with drinks in hand to hangout with him.

4.All four eat and drink a few bottle/cans of drink.

5.All of the sudden Goong chul gets a call from Kang san saying that his wife is on her way over to his place.

6.Goong chul rushes out,  all three friends are in hot pursuit after him. 

7.Jung Jae arrives and leaves Kang sans place. Her alibi is the video

8.Goon chul arrives at Kang sans place

9.Jae Hoon, Hyung woo, and Choon bok arrive 10 mins later according to their testimony.

Let me try to explain the timeline.

1. Hyung Woo meets Kang San accidentally and finds his wallet.

2. Kang San meets up with Goong Chul and gets punched.

3. Jae Hoon in Kang San's house.

4. Hyung Woo enters and leaves.

5. Jung Hae arrives.

6. Jae Hoon murders him and returns home.

7. Choon bok, Hyung Woo and Goong Chul meet up at the bar but its closed

8. Reach Jae Hoon's place.

9. Goong Chul gets the message (how he got it? One can now schedule messages and so he gets it then)

10. Goong Chul arrives at the scene

11. Others arrive 10 mins later

Remember the murder time is 8-10. We know Jae Hoon entered the house before it, because Hyung woo entered at around 7:30 pm. Don't know the timing about others, will have to check about it. But Jae Hoon had his time to do it all. That's why the police had their suspicions on him from start. Because all his statements didn't really match with the timings. 

But yes the scriptwriters could at least make it clearer before ending. But once again, no matter what, Jae Hoon had the evidences and he never seemed to have got it delivered to him. He had it hidden in his secret compartment. He even came back to check it as soon as he got free from police. So it's definitely him. Because even if one of the friends wanted to cover for him and clean up the scene, they would not send the evidences to Jae Hoon, they'd destroy it. 

• Like 4

I did not like ep 16 much but I like the finale. It was a best ending all the characters could have had.

Goong Chul and Jung Hae have divorced but from what I see they are in a good relationship. She ecen realised that Goong Chul  was the young man who gave her the umbrella that day. I think they have a chance to go back together. If not, they will be close enough to raise their son in a good family dinamic.

She even took a year off from her job to be close to her son.

Jae-Hoon was saved by Jung Hae. If she did not go after him he will have been bleading to death in his appartement. He saved Yoo Bin twice and he was forgiving eventually. Goong chul was the one who donate blood. If the things from the crime scene were not at Jae Hoon I would have thought that Goong Chul was the one who return to arranged the scene. But now I think that Jae Hoon came back. Maybe it is not very clear but I appreciate that we got some answers. Just like Man Sik was the one who killed the professor and felt guilt all those years, Jae hoon and Goong chul (who covered the murder) have to live with that guilty concience as well. But they chose their friendship, they chose to help a friend and not what it was morally right to do. But I understand them

I don`t know why Jung Hae took the body of Kang san. Probably it was her way to protect Goong chul or Jae Hoon. How she did it ... I don`t have any idea.

I am glad that we found out what happened with Kyung-Ja and that movie producer back then. Hyung-Woo accepted whatever happened but I am glad that he found out the truth. Kyung Ja was a very cool character. I am glad that she accepted Ae Ra in the family. Even if she will break up with Ji Wook, she will consider Ae ra a daughter. Nice gesture.

I never hated Hae-Sook. I like her but no more than other characters (I did not have a favorite character). I wish she had more screen time but, in a way, it was enough for her purpuse on the show. It was a good idea that the friends will work together in the end.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

37 minutes ago, larus said:

I did not like ep 16 much but I like the finale. It was a best ending all the characters could have had.

Goong Chul and Jung Hae have divorced but from what I see they are in a good relationship. She ecen realised that Goong Chul  was the young man who gave her the umbrella that day. I think they have a chance to go back together. If not, they will be close enough to raise their son in a good family dinamic.

She even took a year off from her job to be close to her son.

Jae-Hoon was saved by Jung Hae. If she did not go after him he will have been bleading to death in his appartement. He saved Yoo Bin twice and he was forgiving eventually. Goong chul was the one who donate blood. If the things from the crime scene were not at Jae Hoon I would have thought that Goong Chul was the one who return to arranged the scene. But now I think that Jae Hoon came back. Maybe it is not very clear but I appreciate that we got some answers. Just like Man Sik was the one who killed the professor and felt guilt all those years, Jae hoon and Goong chul (who covered the murder) have to live with that guilty concience as well. But they chose their friendship, they chose to help a friend and not what it was morally right to do. But I understand them

I don`t know why Jung Hae took the body of Kang san. Probably it was her way to protect Goong chul or Jae Hoon. How she did it ... I don`t have any idea.

I am glad that we found out what happened with Kyung-Ja and that movie producer back then. Hyung-Woo accepted whatever happened but I am glad that he found out the truth. Kyung Ja was a very cool character. I am glad that she accepted Ae Ra in the family. Even if she will break up with Ji Wook, she will consider Ae ra a daughter. Nice gesture.

I never hated Hae-Sook. I like her but no more than other characters (I did not have a favorite character). I wish she had more screen time but, in a way, it was enough for her purpuse on the show. It was a good idea that the friends will work together in the end.

Yeah apart from the scene where Jung Hae takes away the body (which really could be excluded and not affected the story). I think that was just included to confuse the viewers and nothing else. 

But apart from that, all families got really nice closure. About Jung Hae and Goong Chul, to me too they seemed to be in transition of coming back together and would be back in future. As for others, it was nice. They could have ended it really badly if they would have wanted. 

It was nice to get answers regarding Prof's murder and also for Kang San's one (though they were hazy).

So I guess it was a journey with this drama. I'll be looking forward to more similar dramas by JTBC.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Please allow me to be Mrs. Debbie Downer here. HUHHHHHHHHHH? to everything! And NEVER AGAIN to this writer! I think that the drama tried too hard to capture the "Misty" magic. There were some captivating episodes and moments no doubt, but for me, it is a  4/10.

Catch everyone on the next drama that I am destined to complain about because my too high standards are not being met, LOL. Hell, the least this drama could have done was appeal to my shallow side by having the only super physically attractive male on this show NOT be a psycho-attempted rapist to prove that his is not homosexual; that is in NO way attractive :whytho:. SmH

• Like 4
  • Love 1

still trudging through epi 17... think the subs didnt quite do some scenes justice.  Especially the one where Jae Hoon finally cleaned up and went to look for Goong-chul.  So Goong Chul wants Jae Hoon to carry the guilt forever?

Agree that Kyung Ja is the MVP of the show.  Happy that we finally found out what went on in that hotel room.  I knew she wouldn't have slept with that sleazy director (btw he acted really well as that sleazebag).  And she is really big-hearted.  Her love is awesome!

also happy that Choon Bok and his wife are happy again.  She is such a simple character (i mean in a good sense as in she has no motives, not greedy etc)

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Chiming in now that the show is over:

I tried very hard to enjoy this show. There were elements of the show that were good, but as a whole, I found it very disappointing.

If I had to pick one reason why the show just didn't work was that the main story was so weak - you just couldn't root for any of the characters or this group of friends. The point of the show was that this group of friends would do anything for each other - including covering up murder. I think that is why they left the exact facts of the murder vague - because all you were really supposed to know was that their friendship was so *strong* and they were so *loyal* and we are supposed to find that impressive. (But it also saved the writer/director from having the story make sense.)

In order to do that, you had to actually like these people, and believe in their friendship - but I personally didn't. I tried, but ugh, no.

For me, the reason is that everyone is just so stupid, really. All their problems are completely self-inflicted. If Jeong-Hae didn't spread around photos of her best friend (ironic) fooling around with her professor - aside from being a completely crappy thing to do someone, while she couldn't have foreseen the exact chain of misery that transpired from that, she could have easily foreseen that negative consequences were very likely.

And then you have Jae-Hoon, hiring some goon to blackmail Jeong-Hae. I suppose that he also couldn't foresee someone would die and all his friends would have to get involved in the mess, but at the same time, it's also tremendously obvious to anyone of average intelligence that this just isn't a good idea and very likely to result in negative consequences.

So all the crying, glaring, lip-trembling and chest-pounding just look so ridiculous. “My life is so terrible!” Yes, because you are a moron. Also, you obviously learned nothing from the first time you sort-of-accidentally killed someone and covered it up as a group. So the cycle is: badly screw your friend over, but when it comes to covering up crimes for each other - "all for one and one for all?" Ooookay. Lovely.

It's just hard to feel sorry for people who are suffering from the misery of their own making.

The only one who escapes with any dignity is Choon-Bok, his wife and Kyeong-Ja, who had the good grace to not involve themselves in the hot mess. The only “graceful friends.” The rest are idiots. I feel bad for the actors involved. I genuinely like most of them.

So, having finally paid attention to who the director of this mess is (from asianwiki.com):

https://asianwiki.com/Song_Hyun-Wook

Graceful Friends | Wooahan Chingoodeul (JTBC / 2020)
The Beauty Inside (JTBC / 2018)
Meloholic (OCN / 2017)
Revolutionary Love | Byunhyukui Sarang (tvN / 2017)
My Shy Boss | Naesungjukin Boseu (tvN / 2017)
Another Miss Oh | Ddo Ohhaeyoung (tvN / 2016)
Super Daddy Yul (tvN / 2015)
Marriage Not Dating | Yeonae Malgo Gyeolhon (tvN / 2014)

I happened to have seen everything on this list except "Meloholic," and seeing this list finally made it click. This director is very consistent at making shows that look really great at first but end up actually being terrible.

The only real gem on this list is "Another Miss Oh." He had the benefit of the perfect actress for the role and a great writer. And "Marriage Not Dating" was not horrible.

Anyway, I guess the conclusion is that there is just something about this director that just doesn't agree with me, and I guess that's that. Thanks for reading my rant. :) I usually don't crap on a show just to say I hate it - usually, I just say nothing if I don't like something - but this one really got me worked up. I wanted to like it, but I ended up spraining a muscle rolling my eyes so hard. Anyway, thanks.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Graceful Friends: Episodes 16-17 Open Thread (Final)

by missvictrix

GF1617_1.jpg

Graceful Friends finds its conclusion this week, and it’s every bit the grand finale, with meaningful wrap-ups, final battles, and a few gigantic twists. In the spirit of the show, nothing is as it seems at first, but everything comes down to the relationships between our characters, and in the end, the power of friendship.

EPISODES 16-17 WEECAP

GF1617_2.jpg

There’s so many great plot arcs to be wrapped up this week — I’m quite glad that Graceful Friends was set at an interesting count of 17 episodes from the start, because we definitely needed each one of them to finish our story strong.

Last week we were left with a lot of questions — the main one being where the evidence around Kang-san’s murder actually went. That question is quickly answered as we follow Hae-sook’s meaningful farewell to Goong-chul, and soon after, her departure from this world. Our friends (and investigators) hear that she’s been cremated and, illegal though it is, her personal belongings have been cremated with her: a trophy, a cell phone, and a pair of red heels.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/graceful-friends-episodes-16-17-open-thread-final/

• Like 4

I finally watched (struggled with) the last 2 episodes... I really liked the beginning of the drama and then... Many scenes made me confused and I had no empathy for the main leads thanks to their questionable actions.

I still don't know what was the meaning of this drama. So because of (toxic) male friendship, murders and liars are forgiven ?! Hush.

Fortunately, Kyung Ja was there in order me to appreciate the show. 

Regarding the PD, I loved Another Miss Oh. For sure, I will watch the premiere of Undercover because I am fan of JJH and KYJ. Hopefully this drama will be better...

• Like 4

Hurray for the actor who played Kang-San:

https://www.soompi.com/article/1424683wpp/kim-myung-soo-confirmed-to-play-male-lead-in-new-historical-drama

Even though I think this show was a steaming pile of doo-doo, I thought the actors were all pretty great. Kang-San especially made an impression.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:33 PM, brooksmom said:

@chickfactor

I agree with you some of these men were idiots. Didn't learn much in 20 years.

The writer: I did like Super Daddy and Marriage Not Dating.

@chickfactor  and @foreverempress  are you going to pass on this writers' new drama Undercover with Ji Jin Hee and Kim Hyun Joo?

I saw those two actors together in "I Have a Lover" and they had great chemistry. And I love them individually. So this looks promising. But this director... I've been burned.

Looking at that list of all his dramas since 2014 - they really all have great casts and interesting pairings.

You always start watching a show with hope that it will turn out to be a gem, right? But... um... *sigh*

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

this is my favorite show on Netflix right now! I believe that Asian dramas make a new perspective for the Western audience. And they reveal a more interesting point of view about friends, friendship in general. I even wrote about this essay https://phdessay.com/free-essays-on/friends/ you can read it. I think Friendship is a whole separate philosophical topic that should be covered even more. And there are few serials. In the cinema, this topic is almost never expressed.:shaq:

Edited by Vinnie Harold
  • Like 1