[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

Please please let there be Season 3! :Please:

Both seasons 1 and 2 are awesome! I am so thankful that our last few scenes are all happy ones: 

Yeo Jin's smile after being told by her new Director that Choi Bit has spoken well of her (so reassuring to know that her capabilities and character are recognised)

CP Kang making the right decision to resign, at peace, taking time(fishing) and reflecting on what he had done wrong

Seo Dong Jae, acknowledging his wife who drove him to the station, before enjoying the limelight

Shi Mok's genuine smile after meeting/teasing his past investigator from Western office who was transferred to Wonju office too

And, best of all, this awesome duo with their best `Goodbye, Take Care' meal together. When Shi Mok asked Yeo Jin whether there was any chance she might not be okay, (ouch!) it was so touching! 

Thank you to all the friends on this thread. You are awesome - super sleuths. I find out what I miss from my own watching of each episode from all of you! :D

11 hours ago, nona88 said:

I would like to write about the words SM described  YJ  with in front of Choi 

" she open up / warm up to people  easy, but she will never blindly trust or respect everyone  or anybody" 

those words exactly describe  how she was with SM in season 1, we who watching them grow little  by little in season 1 understand  that 

YJ warm up even to person  like him ( he was worse of worse dealing with everyone even with victims family almost inhuman with them to get to the true, only care about facts)  

SM  know that as much as we know she fast became friendly, nice , acceptable and comfortable  around him while  he was the cold person  that made the people  who know him for years still feeling uncomfortable  and nervous  around him  ( she joking around comfortable  even when his senpai  feeling burden dealing with him) 

But in the same time even when she was warm to him she never trust or believe him blindly , he was a suspect  too and question  his doing and confirmed him so many times , she even  catch his smart mind thinking  and even catch when he lie or hide something  and point it right away, she like him always think of all the possibilities  

YJ  win that place on SM  being  the same warm and honest  person and the same having the smart and impressive mind , it easy to understand  why he open up to her when he cant trust or deal with others

We know that, but it really nice hearing him seeing it himself  a smal part of what he think about her  for someone who once said 

"you right,  I will probably  leave the rest of my life alone and will probably  have no one to be with" 

For someone  who start like that to someone  who go all his way to protect someone and talk and look warmly to her while understand  how important she is to him , I am proud of you 

And I like how till the end he was worry  about her and how he like seeing her enjoying food and being herself again infront of him

That's why we love these 2 so much! Can't agree with you more. 

• Like 4
  • Love 3
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can`t believed how fast the subtitles come. YAY!   I also missed Shi Mok and Yeo Jin. Just seing them work or live like ordinary people was enough.   The case just started. Somet

My heart is full of joy      All well that ends well.   Truly an excellent second season.  True friends will find each other      The End.    Till S

Can we stop loving them even behind the scenes?

Forest of Secrets 2: Episode 15

by quirkycase

FoS215-00960.jpg

Now that our missing prosecutor has been found, our lead turns his attention to the shady behavior of his colleagues and the mysterious Kwang-soo case. He and his partner in crime (solving) are determined to get to the bottom of it all, but what they find puts them in a predicament. Can they handle the cost of exposing the truth?

EPISODE 15

FoS215-00029.jpg

Tae-ha meets with Yeon-jae at her secret residence, and she informs him he’s now one of her people. What’s his price for helping with the lawsuit? Tae-ha isn’t looking for money and observes that they’ve already lost a lot of time. She’s confused by his talking like he was involved back then, so he clarifies: he organized the meeting for Kwang-soo, his childhood friend. And he was planning the next steps, too.

Yeon-jae laughs when he admits he didn’t do it for money – he wants to go into politics. Kwang-soo asked to meet with him right after Tae-ha had learned he’d be leading the investigative authority charge which he deemed a lost cause. He saw Hanjo as his way forward.

FoS215-00105.jpgFoS215-00103.jpg

Yeon-jae isn’t opposed to sponsoring him and plans to acquire Sung-jae’s assets to pay the bills. But she needs ammunition. Tae-ha correctly guesses she wants to make sure Sung-jae doesn’t pay his fines. Yeon-jae needs the Eastern Office and the National Police Agency out of the way.

She tells him they’ll meet at this residence from now on and asks one last question. Why did they fight, and why did he die like that? Tae-ha admits he left early that day because he and Kwang-soo argued, but he had no idea he’d never see him again. He assures Yeon-jae it’s all over, and Shi-mok will be busy with the committee now. She doesn’t look particularly reassured.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/forest-of-secrets-2-episode-15/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Wiggle 1

I have been replaying S1 and S2 scenes. Sigh I miss this brilliant ensemble of cast and writer/PD so much. 

Watching SM-YJ's farewell scene in S1 vs S2, I feel like SM's gaze towards YJ seems different. In S1 it felt like he didnt particularly feel sad to leave. And they were playful with each other like good friends. But in S2, I sensed some melancholy, softness in his gaze. Even when YJ started eating, he continued to look at her. I think he may worry about how YJ is going to be without a support system, her Yong San team and of course him. 

Though I dont know what content of story will be best for S3, perhaps YJ and SM taking on higher ranked roles, i would love to see the whole gang back together again and again until S5!! 

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, Gummi said:

I have been replaying S1 and S2 scenes. Sigh I miss this brilliant ensemble of cast and writer/PD so much. 

Watching SM-YJ's farewell scene in S1 vs S2, I feel like SM's gaze towards YJ seems different. In S1 it felt like he didnt particularly feel sad to leave. And they were playful with each other like good friends. But in S2, I sensed some melancholy, softness in his gaze. Even when YJ started eating, he continued to look at her. I think he may worry about how YJ is going to be without a support system, her Yong San team and of course him. 

Though I dont know what content of story will be best for S3, perhaps YJ and SM taking on higher ranked roles, i would love to see the whole gang back together again and again until S5!! 

I feel you. It ruined my taste. I am watching animes now since I will end up disliking every drama now. The writer loves her characters as much as we do. Fingers crossed for S3. But I don't see Shimok rising up the ranks. :D

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 10/6/2020 at 1:44 PM, abyssal said:

<3 See you all on the S3 thread in the future... I'm also waiting and reading fanfics to overcome the perennial sadness of no more weekly episodes to look forward to

Fanfics??? Were? Could you PM the links pretty please? :Megathanks:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, cafe99 said:

Fanfics??? Were? Could you PM the links pretty please? :Megathanks:

There are some of us writers AO3 :') under the Stranger/Secret Forest tag. Then when I feel up to it, I trawl twitter in korean and use google translate on the post type! But there's not enough material in the area to sustain me for another three years lol

• Like 4
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, abyssal said:

There are some of us writers AO3 :') under the Stranger/Secret Forest tag. Then when I feel up to it, I trawl twitter in korean and use google translate on the post type! But there's not enough material in the area to sustain me for another three years lol

Thank you! I didn't knew! :sweet:

• Like 4
16 hours ago, pompyavi said:

I feel you. It ruined my taste. I am watching animes now since I will end up disliking every drama now. The writer loves her characters as much as we do. Fingers crossed for S3. But I don't see Shimok rising up the ranks. :D

Same, everything is pale compared to Stranger. I get annoyed about every little thing which was more or less acceptable to me before.  I just shrugged and told myself well kdrama , i wouldn’t expect more. But I know now that Korea can produce world class tv without typical cliche tropes. 
The writer has an ability to look at things with the sharpest eyes but at the same time full of humanism. 
Even though i think they could have done with less red herrings (didn’t get my answer for the green lighter and logical explanation for the solo kidnapping). Everything else was perfect. Acting was top notch and the chemistry was out of this world. Same with directing and editing. 

i have been listening to Stranger ost. I love love its instrumental scores so much. 
Many actors are expressing interest for more seasons. She has a perfect platform to work on her ideas and Build her story. She also has a perfect duo here to convey her messages to the world. 
Hope i will see you all again Season 3. May be for Sishyphys the myth but I am probably not too excite to join the discussion. Let’s see. 

• Like 5
5 minutes ago, farawayland said:

The writer has an ability to look at things with the sharpest eyes but at the same time full of humanism.

Yes her characters are flawed humans. In majority of the dramas writers try to portray the characters as hero/heroine. I loved that she wrote the S2 the way she wanted and not the way fans were expecting it to be. 

7 minutes ago, farawayland said:

Hope i will see you all again Season 3. May be for Sishyphys the myth but I am probably not too excite to join the discussion. Let’s see. 

I will just watch it to see CSW on my screen. :D

• Like 5

Forest of Secrets 2: Episode 16 (Final)

by quirkycase

FoS216-00978.jpg

Our second tale of one prosecutor and one cop’s tireless fight for justice has come to a satisfying close. As they’ve already learned once before, exposing the truth in a system that caters to the powerful is a thankless job. Our duo has done their part, and now it’s up to others to see it through. All they can do is keep fighting for what they believe and hope they can inspire some change along the way.

EPISODE 16

FoS216-00055.jpg

Shi-mok and Sa-hyun present the case for a warrant for Tae-ha to none other than the deputy prosecutor general. He listens and looks through the documents silently, weighing his options. Meanwhile, Tae-ha walks into an empty press briefing.

At Chief Choi’s full press briefing, she admits that Kwang-soo’s body was moved to conceal a meeting at the Namyangju villa. We flash back to Shi-mok paying Chief Choi a visit. He’d explained that Tae-ha meant to destroy Yeo-jin’s life.

The one person Tae-ha can’t silence right now is Director Kim who will likely try to use Chief Choi again to get out of this mess. Chief Choi accuses Shi-mok of doing exactly what Tae-ha did to Yeo-jin. In the present, Chief Choi lays out the facts. A police official summoned her to the villa where she and a high-ranking prosecutor moved the body.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/forest-of-secrets-2-episode-16-final/

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Another solid season that I binge-watched in two days. I would have really like to have known what exactly is the truth behind the Segok suicide case though.

In all of these corrupt prosecutors and police officers, it’s good to see that not all of the people who make up the “so-called”justice system has lost their integrity. Shi-Mok and Yeo Jin continue to stand up for the integrity of their profession. I don’t necessarily think it’s “human” to do corrupt things though I know that there are powerful people or bold people who do these things. I honestly think most people are deterred from corruption because of the threat of prison, fines and other devastating consequences. Of course, it’s probably different for prosecutors and police because of the system that enables them to get away with these things and allows this problem to fester with the support of their equally corrupt top officials. I did hear a constitutional lawyer on a talk radio show say that there’s nothing more dangerous than a corrupt or “rogue” prosecutor because they have the power to destroy a person’s life. I suppose this is truthfully portrayed in this show. 

Well, I hope there’s a season 3 soon although I suppose nothing about their justice system will change. I guess the thrill of watching this show for me really lies in unearthing the truth behind a complex web of conspiracy.

• Like 3

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

by DB Staff

stroopwafel

Forest of Secrets 2: I don’t have too much to say, other than that I loved the second season. It was so well done, and it felt like Forest of Secrets but it didn’t feel derivative of the first season, it felt like an expanded, messier look at the world. The last two episodes were so beautifully done, and that Shi-mok smile is almost enough to tide me over until next season. (Please let there be another season!)

SailorJumun

Forest of Secrets 2: The last two episodes of this were So. Good. Thrilling, surprising, and satisfying. Still, overall, I didn’t enjoy this season as much as the first. I feel that way about most drama sequels, and sequels in general, so eh, it is what it is. I’m just happy the show ended on a good note. (AKA That smile!!)

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-229/

Yes, another season, please!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was REALLY looking forward to this second season since I LOVED the first.  Just watched it again and blown away by how excellent it was.

Realizing it is very hard to live up to such a season I still hoped the second would be a lot better than it turned out to be.  It was confusing (proven by how often they did recaps to try and remind people of all the long and boring conversations that took place?)  And so many things just didnt make much sense.  Hanjo?? Really?? they could have dropped it all together or used some other corrupt corporate company to move the plot along.

Way too Little of the characters we loved season one and way too much of unlikable corrupt heads of police & prosecution.  It was just a muddle and probably shows a Netflix taint.  

Sorry if you liked it, but it was a major disappointment to this viewer.

• Sad 1

It took me a while due to work and life but I wanted to drop these off.

Excellent Review of E15-16 (Final) over at DramaOverFlowers

It’s a tense and emotional finale week, as everything finally comes together, and Shi-mok and Yeo-jin are forced to directly face the ugliness they’ve uncovered–and which has been hidden close by all this time...

https://dramasoverflowers.net/2020/10/04/stranger-2-episodes-15-16-review/

================

[Naver TV] 'Stranger' Season 2 Episode 16 (Finale) Comments and Reaction

"Again, with the mindset to continue on" Cho Seungwoo X Bae Doona X Lee Joonhyuk, firmly carrying on their own paths!

1. [+3343][-6] No but who said our Dongjae couldn't be a prosecutor because of his trauma. Our redeemed cat is an attention seeker so he's enjoying the feeling of being a celebrity right now 

2. [+3133][-15] Recruiting teammates to wait for season 3 (1/10394828181)

3. [+2191][-9] The finale was season 3's trailer... you really can't not write for season 3 writer-nim, the fans will be left dry 

4. [+1829][-8] Wouldn't it be weirder if there wasn't a season 3? Whatever Dongjae says would be really important 

5. [+1709][-4] Don't you think Dongjae seems fishy at the end..? Dongjae-ya, please lets not work for Lee Yeonjae. You promised with Chang-knight ㅠㅠ (T/N: reference to the Dark Knight) 

Spoiler

"It's just Seo Dongjae that's left" Yoon Seah's mysterious words as she's visiting Lee Joonhyuk at the hospital (shudder) 

1. [+1557][-8] Seo Dongjae will suddenly open his eyes and say 'Ah! You remembered our dinner haha I actually woke up earlier and have been waiting, I've booked a table at a really nice restaurant ^^?? Salute'

2. [+1048][-3] Lee Changjoon said that one meal together is the starting point. Season 3 will start with a scene of Yeonjae and Dongjae having a meal together. As Simok is in the suburbs, he'll come up saying, 'ah not these people' and Yeojin, who's gotten a promotion, will greet him 

3. [+904][-6] I thought Lee Yeonjae would change after Lee Changjoon's death but it probably wasn't that... if anything, she was more than Lee Yoonbeom, not less. 

4. [+760][-5] What did they interpret Kang Wonchul's fact attack as 

5. [+661][-9] Stay alive to reveal everything. You're the only one left so stay alive and uncover the truth. 

1. [+818][-10] Different to Lee Changjoon.. they stayed alive to take responsibility I'm literally crying because of Choi Bit.. Jeon Hyejin is so good at acting.. 

2. [+712][-4] Simok and Choi Bit protecting Yeojin... Choi Bit was a pretty good superior... 

3. [+556][-3] That's why Doonabae said that she was obsessed with Choi Bit's character somewhere. If Yeojin cared for them, they're a real one. Choi Shiny (T/N: 'Bit' translates to light in Korean), thank you. 

4. [+523][-1] Choi Bit wanted to remain as a human, rather than a monster. I don't think Woo Taeha will be able to get a grip. 

5. [+416][-1] Han Senior Inspector cares for people a lot but doesn't do so for anyone and everyone, is he crazy... 

Behind the scene translations (E13-16). Jang Gun  wanted to continue until Season 20 :lol:

Even in troubles that seem like a heavy fog.

Not compromising in reality.

To everyone who silently and steadily moving forward.

We, Stranger 2, will always support you.

A sincere thank you to everyone for loving and supporting Stranger 2 thus far.

Spoiler

I loved and enjoyed every moment reading and conversing with everyone in this thread.  Thank you so much for sharing my love for FoS @pompyavi@nrllee @larus @Gummi @farawayland @nona88 @taeunfighting @penelop3and everyone whom I forgot to mention.

Stranger was the original title Lee So Yeon gave to Forest of Secret, referring to Shi Mok, Yeo Jin, and those individuals who brave the tide as outcasts to relentlessly pursue justice.  This season was about the will to remain true to themselves and persevere their ideals for the good of society.  In the end, the reality is neither ShiMok nor YeoJin are hailed and treated as heroes.  Instead, they are viewed as traitors, whistleblowers, by their own profession.  They were silenced and transferred.  But they persist because we need them to and they chose to continue for they know their efforts make a difference.  This season was as much about Shi Mok and Yeojin's maturity, perseverance and unwavering friendship as it is about fighting for the small victories to keep hope alive.  It's why I love season 2 and writer Lee's decision to spotlight the importance of doing so.  

In his latest interview, PD Park Hyun Suk praised CSW and BDN for seamlessly picked up season 2 right from where Season 1 ended.  He also thanked them for their deep understanding of the script as well their amazing acting while maintaining the warm set atmosphere for the rest of the cast.  He was glad that FoS2 broke the sophomore jinx though he understood some viewers' disappointment in lack of tension and direction as this season didn't revolve around a murder case. He acknowledged the difficulties posed by COVID-19.   Several location filming were canceled and the schedule was delayed as COVID hit immediately when they started filming. He regretted that he has to abandon many locations because of the unexpected situation.  As for the ending, PD Park mentioned that Seo Dong Jae has always teetered at the border between good and bad so it seems fitting that the writer chose to end with viewers wondering if he has reformed or regressed back to his old self.

As for me, I'll continue to watch out for her work as well as all the cast's future projects.  I love how sophisticated and realistic she writes her dramas.  I hope the writer takes her time for season 3 - this series is too dear for me to mess up.

Good bye to our cast.  Take care everyone.  See you in another great drama thread. Perhaps Signal 2? I am watching Start Up and so far so good. :hooray2:

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.12 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.23 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.50 PM

50500585017_54be32a795_b.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.52.21 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.52.28 PM

Spoiler

• Like 2
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

As for me, I'll continue to watch out for her work as well as all the cast's future projects.  I love how sophisticated and realistic she writes her dramas.  I hope the writer takes her time for season 3 - this series is too dear for me to mess up.

Thank you @bedifferent.  These are some of the translation from Lee Soo Yeon's interview of S1:

Credit to the owner. 

On the question about why Shimok is made as someone who cannot process emotions she said there are two reasons: 1. A person who doesn't want anything can't be tempted and swayed. 2. She wanted to show a character who does his job without any personal reason and take full responsibility until the end. 

• Like 5
37 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I co sign this. Let`s all meet again at Lee Soo Yeon`s writer-nim next work. Perhaps it will be the third season for Forest of Secrets/Stranger.

• Like 2
  • Love 1