Quantcast

[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

30 minutes ago, Gummi said:

I love so much how he did it without an ounce of judgement. Perhaps due to his lack of emotions, but we only see this soft approach with YJ. With anyone else he would have been harsh.

I think that’s what SM does best.  He doesn’t just judge.  He asks the question.  Everybody needs to answer that question for themselves.  It’s an invitation to right the wrong.  To change your mindset.  But you need to internalise it yourself.  Preaching doesn’t enact long term effectual change.  

• Like 6
  • Love 2
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can`t believed how fast the subtitles come. YAY!   I also missed Shi Mok and Yeo Jin. Just seing them work or live like ordinary people was enough.   The case just started. Somet

My heart is full of joy      All well that ends well.   Truly an excellent second season.  True friends will find each other      The End.    Till S

Can we stop loving them even behind the scenes?

Forest of Secrets 2: Episode 5

by quirkycase

FoS205-00893.jpg

Our reluctant prosecutor duo spends some quality time together as they continue investigating the “suicide” case. But they’re not the only ones looking into it, and their cop friend is making just as much headway. Because matters weren’t complicated enough as it is, we find out about another case that intersects with higher ups on both sides of our Police-Prosecution Council and may have serious implications for both organizations.

EPISODE 5

FoS205-00020.jpgFoS205-00021.jpg

In a flashback, Yeo-jin demands to know how homicide wasn’t brought up when Ki-hyun died. The scared witness insists no one questioned the ruling of suicide because his depression was public knowledge.

They didn’t find out about the bribery case until months later, so there was no way to make that connection. Plus, the circumstances of his transfer (him reporting his superior) were well known and stressful for Ki-hyun.

Chief Choi tells Yeo-jin to focus on the where, not the why. Ki-hyun getting transferred to Segok wasn’t a coincidence. Oooh, sketchy officer Soo-hang is the nephew of the chief that Ki-hyun reported.

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/08/forest-of-secrets-2-episode-5/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
13 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

I guess the way I was looking at it, as humans, we have a conscience and so Choi Bit’s actions were outcomes of moral dilemmas. Though justified, she recognized when abandoning one cause for the sake of the other, the one forgone – by default – resulted in some kind of wrong. 

Did she actually abandon a case till now?

All we saw is that she using real cases to polish the police's image (as in ep1) or postponing a case for further great result. To her, she believes she will jail the assemblyman's son after they are done with debate (we know in reality it is not going to happen but that is what she intends for now). Let's not forget his crime is doing drugs , and it is very common for VIP's to run free with drug convictions (remember YJ saying drug dealers don't tell their VIP's names). Even if he gets arrested, he will most likely not be convicted from prosecution (he was not for nepotism case) or a good lawyer could easily get him free. Arresting him might be just just a waste of time when they could use it for another further good (for the organisation). As I said, the meaning of "Justice" for both CB and YJ seems to be different. While YJ as a police officer might face a dilemma in turning a blind eye for a crime, for CB she is performing her duty as a chief who protects her organisation, thus it is not really a wrongdoing from her perspective.

But what if , as I said earlier, she has to face a more darker situation? Like if the policeman's death proved to be a murder and this revelation will hurt their image (which is what most likely going to happen)?

Unlike the drug case, this is where a real dilemma she will face as a human being before being a police chief.  This case will be the main event to show her true character. and I'm very much looking forward to her response.

• Like 5
On 9/1/2020 at 6:30 AM, chickfactor said:

Ooooh, good question. I don't know.

It could mean, "Here's another thing I have to get rid of."

Or, "Here's another useful person."

Based on what happened at the end of the episode, maybe the former? But since she seemed to have manipulated Kim Byeong-Heon's proxy voter, maybe the latter.

I don't know.

Yeah that response stumped me too.  So cryptic.  Initially I thought (just from reading the English subs) that she was waiting for KBH’s text.  And when she got DJ’s “fighting” text, she was intimating that she was waiting for another person to be “rooting for her” (ie KBH).  But you could be right.

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Seiran029 said:

Did she actually abandon a case till now?

All we saw is that she using real cases to polish the police's image (as in ep1) or postponing a case for further great result. To her, she believes she will jail the assemblyman's son after they are done with debate (we know in reality it is not going to happen but that is what she intends for now). Let's not forget his crime is doing drugs , and it is very common for VIP's to run free with drug convictions (remember YJ saying drug dealers don't tell their VIP's names). Even if he gets arrested, he will most likely not be convicted from prosecution (he was not for nepotism case) or a good lawyer could easily get him free. Arresting him might be just just a waste of time when they could use it for another further good (for the organisation). As I said, the meaning of "Justice" for both CB and YJ seems to be different. While YJ as a police officer might face a dilemma in turning a blind eye for a crime, for CB she is performing her duty as a chief who protects her organisation, thus it is not really a wrongdoing from her perspective.

But what if , as I said earlier, she has to face a more darker situation? Like if the policeman's death proved to be a murder and this revelation will hurt their image (which is what most likely going to happen)?

Unlike the drug case, this is where a real dilemma she will face as a human being before being a police chief.  This case will be the main event to show her true character. and I'm very much looking forward to her response.

Technically, I do think that she abandoned Nam’s son’s case. The police/intelligence bureau knew of his drug offenses and kept them confidential. Then, when his father got appointed as committee chairman, this intel became useful to her. She somehow got the drug dealer to name the son to the police, but let him go anyway to manipulate his father to move the police bill forward. Her rationale of not really letting him get away with it is by relying on that he’s an addict. That it is inevitable that he will repeat the offenses again. It is after they have achieved their agenda is when she suggested Yeo Jin can then arrest him. In my opinion, to justify all that as postponing is somewhat of a stretch, but obviously, each viewer may see it differently.

On the surface, I understand that Choi Bit does not seem to think her actions are wrong, but deep down in her conscience, it is hard for me to imagine that she never felt that they were. I get that she believes she is making “small sacrifices” for her cause, but I worry that she is on the verge of a slippery slope – that her yearn for power/authority will cloud her judgment and she would not know when to stop.

I think you had mentioned that at some point, Choi Bit was likely just like Yeo Jin. Now that they had an honest conversation, I am hoping that Yeo Jin can be a reminder of her once righteous self or at least, be her watcher. No matter how close Choi Bit feels she needs to get to the restriction line to further her cause, Yeo Jin will not let her cross it or take it down. We shall see…

Regardless, I agree that Choi Bit's character is intriguing. I am looking forward to the rest of her story and how she will deal with the other cases too.

• Like 5

Forest of Secrets 2: Episode 6

by quirkycase

FoS206-00492.jpg

Our favorite cop finds herself in a dilemma this hour as she learns more about her boss than she wanted to and becomes embroiled in political maneuverings. Everyone has a justification for their questionable ethics, but where do you draw the line? That’s what our heroine has to decide as she faces the choice to sit by or speak up.

EPISODE 6

FoS206-01308.jpgFoS206-01307.jpg

We flashback to when Yeo-jin retrieved the envelope from a police station. She does the shake test like a kid trying to figure out their Christmas present, and it doesn’t seem like a document. She stares at it in the car, but we don’t see her open it.

And now we’re back to the standoff in the National Assembly, which turns out to be very anticlimactic. Tae-ha gives a “hmmph!” and walks off, and Chief Choi walks in the other direction. Shi-mok and Yeo-jin stare at each other for a second before leaving.

Shi-mok recalls Tae-ha’s order to find out what was in the envelope as he follows Yeo-jin out. She notices him behind her while she’s driving, but he soon goes his own way.

Assemblyman Nam anxiously rips open the envelope to find a USB. The envelope is addressed from Nambu Police Station (the one that was originally on the nepotism investigation). That night, Shi-mok stands outside that very station after having glimpsed the name on the envelope.

Shi-mok stares at the directory, assessing which department Yeo-jin might’ve gotten the envelope from. He leaves, unable to ascertain anything. He researches the station, and an article about how they turned a Kyungsan Group exec over to the prosecution catches his eye, as does an article on a doctor caught using drugs.

FoS206-01310.jpg

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/09/forest-of-secrets-2-episode-6/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 9/1/2020 at 2:55 PM, taeunfighting said:

With 10 more episodes to go, Choi Bit and the others are bound to be faced with more difficult decisions. Should be interesting to see how they continue to navigate the fight for power/authority. I just keep wondering if it should be held absolutely on one side (as each leader views it) or if some kind of common ground should be reached. Am curious to find out how it all will be resolved.

Like @pompyavi mentioned before, WTH lost his card in assemblyman.  The dead prosecutor case could be a wash where we have police/prosecution involvement possibly mixed in a side of Hanjo.  We are left with Capt Song's death which is being investigated by YJ/SM/DJ.  I wonder if Choi Bit in the future will experience how it feels like getting served with a warrant.  I am not ruling out the possibility that she will be thrown under the bus by her superiors.  Then would she appreciate due process and legal rights given to the accused.  It may take first hand experience to reach a compromise between the two.

On 9/1/2020 at 4:34 PM, nrllee said:

I think this is what the writer is trying to get across.  That no one is perfect.  Everybody makes mistakes in life.  But it’s what you do when you’re confronted with your mistakes that matters.  It’s about that U-turn. 

Do you go left abandoning the path you were always on to follow someone else's, U turn back to where you came from or dead straight ahead uncompromised like ShiMok?  :D

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 3.58.52 PM

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 4.01.32 PM

Cr: Netflix

Good discussion here everyone :heart: 

We have many grey characters, each with his/her own moral compass and priorities.  What stood out for me is that both CB/WTH have not been shown to suffer emotionally and psychologically over their decisions like Yeo Jin.  They don't show compassion and kindness to those under their wings or feel an obligation to encourage good people to thrive within their organization.  It's all about securing people to push your agenda.  The hierarchy of both police and prosecution, like many companies out there, is fraternizing of favors.  It's disheartening to see the divide between the NPA and police force, between the Eastern Prosecutor office and Supreme Prosecutors, etc.  working without any concern for the young people they lead.

One of my favorite moments from CP Kang is of his conversation about prosecutor Ryu and the assemblyman's cover up.  His prosecutor assured CP Kang that he has asked Ryu to keep silence about his knowledge of assemblyman.  Kang wasn't comfortable about the decision.

CP Kang: What would the kids learn from seniors like that?

Prosecutor:  Those who make those calls or me telling him to keep his mouth shut?

To prosecutor Ryu (who is trying as hard as Seo Dong Jae in the newly transfer post), there's no difference in the reason why he must kept silent on the case and who made those requests.  Those in power will always get their way  while his superiors support their cause by suppressing the truth.  Both are wrong.  Kang realized the missed opportunity here for him to support his young prosecutor.

@chickfactor @ilovenico Thank you!! Yeon Jae was waiting for Sungmoon Daily guy's text! Got it!

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Insightful 3

I am also giving Choi a chance like everyone  but I am not holding my hope high

When YJ  tell her over the phone about the death  officer  she was angry  cause it will destroy what they doing and it didnt  take her long after that to come with idea how to use that for their benefits   against  prosecutors ( so fast so focus  on one thing and not caring about  the injustice  she just heard about ) 

She was literally  saying to  YJ that another reason why it shouldn't be murder ( to save their case and even making it a weapon  to win more points) 

All I heard was how to not make damage and how to  make profits  not even one moment  of thinking what if it was a murderer?   what about the poor  good officer  who die ? And even if it not  murder  it clear he was victimized  to the point of taking his life so is that even important??

No it just how to not make it murder and use it against  the prosecutors, if I use it to attack  the prosecutor  there no way I would make justice  for that man later  and make his family  know why killed himself  and bring him some peace ( that if she really believes  he killed  himself) 

I am still giving her  a chance but cause all above I am not hoping for so much,  clearly  this drama talk about lines and fog, there a lines that stopped  you from getting  lost in the fog but once you cross that you got lost to point you yourself  dont realize  that you already lost your way 

Choi is another  character  who show the results  of walking so long in the frog area

But as so many of you said, we waiting to see how deep she can ignored  injustice  when it more clear and important  matter, so the drama, us and life will give her chances to make turning  point and it will be her choice 

• Like 9

In the last episodes there were so many good scenes. I watched late these two episodes but it was worth the wait.

Yeo Jin meeting Yoon Se-Won in the prison. It was such a nice scene. I think Shi Mok was the one who sent him the package without telling is from him. It is his style.  It was sad that Yoon se won doesn`t have anyone who visit him all these years.

I want that Lee Dae-Sung down. He is an arogant prick who thinks he will get out of prison in two months. I want both Lee Dae Sung and Baek  (and everyone involved) in prison again for murder this time.

Shi Mok talking with Kang Won cheol about little favors between colleagues. Shi Mok went to him to intervene that police will get the warant and realised how favors are exchanged. His realization that he did something like that when he never thought he will do it, broke his heart a little. Even after Kang told him that he was not doing it for himself, that it is natural (a human thing), he was disappointed in himself. I liked that Kang is knowing Shi Mok really well. He made the call anyway. I like how Kang told Kim Sa-Hyun to not used to muck Shi Mok because it could turn against them. Kim Ha hyun doesn`t know Shi Mok really well. he saw just a little part of him. :D When Chief Kang heard about Shi Mok calling prosecutor Ryu, his reaction was priceless. Like Not again! :w00t:

Shi Mok meeting Yeo Jin at her home/terrace. Of course Shi Mok discovered the truth without asking Yeo Jin about it. I liked their conversation, their struggle. I lauged when he told her that he asked his boss about the case. Of course he did. She told him she did not asked Choi Bit anything. Both of them, especially Yeo Jin are not in a comfortable situation between their team. I am glad that Yeo Jin confronted Choi Bit eventually. She is not the person who will have ambitious and be selfish and chosing herself over her duty. She is not different from Shi Mok. And he asked about her drawings!  Yay.

At first I was a little puzzled how Hanjo group storyline bend with the other stories but I like it how Lee Yeon-Jae is facing her own struggles. She has two man who have feelings for her. :D

I like seing Shi Mok and Dong Jae working and spending time together. It is fun to watch because they are so different. Dong Jae is the same weasel but more relatable this season. I wonder what happen with him. We want our weasle back. 

18 minutes ago, nona88 said:

But as so many of you said, we waiting to see how deep she can ignored  injustice  when it more clear and important  matter, so the drama, us and life will give her chances to make turning  point and it will be her choice 

I don`t hate Choi Bit. Of course, I root for Yeo Jin to do the right thing and always chosing duty and justice but I  understand Choi Bit`s position too. But there is a limit of cover up and do the politics. I hope she will do the right thing too.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Do you go left abandoning the path you were always on to follow someone else's, U turn back to where you came from or dead straight ahead uncompromised like ShiMok?  :D

Indeed.  Although I think SM is a fictional character.  The ideal.  Lady Justice blindfolded.   

• Like 6

There are so many things I love in episodes 5 and 6 and reading the comments from friends here help clarify and make me understand the episodes better! 

It was great to see Yoon Se won again! I feel so sorry for him. Of course he must be punished for his crimes but the reason he had to commit them was so sad and so wrong. I love Yeo Jin for stopping and talking to him. I hope to get to know who actually sent him the parcel. 

The interactions of Shi Mok and Dong Jae are priceless! I understand his motivations better on why he is so keen to join the Supreme Prosecutor Division. I hope he is not in real danger though. 

The restaurant meeting between Lee Yoon Jae and Sungmoon Daily CEO was awesome. It showed how vulnerably emotional he was and Yoon Jae's wiping off her lipstick and eye makeup was excellently done.

Shi Mok's self reflection and disappointment on himself for pulling strings to get an outcome showed just how principled he is. His interactions with Chief Prosecutor are always interesting. I laughed when Chief Prosecutor was so helpless that Shi Mok was at it again by wanting to meet up with Prosecutor Ryu on The Assemblyman case.

And best of all, we get the Rooftop scene! Friends here wrote such good analyses of the scene. I love it that he asked her whether she no long draws these days. And the significant click of her drink when he mentioned the drug dealer case. 

Looking forward to Shi Mok and Yeo Jin working together to find out what actually happens to Seo Dong Jae.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Like @pompyavi mentioned before, WTH lost his card in assemblyman.  The dead prosecutor case could be a wash where we have police/prosecution involvement possibly mixed in a side of Hanjo.  We are left with Capt Song's death which is being investigated by YJ/SM/DJ.  I wonder if Choi Bit in the future will experience how it feels like getting served with a warrant.  I am not ruling out the possibility that she will be thrown under the bus by her superiors.  Then would she appreciate due process and legal rights given to the accused.  It may take first hand experience to reach a compromise between the two.

These are all a good points. I can see that the characters' personal experience and  journey may be key to guide them in the right direction. The cases in season 2 may not just be mystery-solving for police-prosecution, but may shine some light on where the cracks are on both sides and exactly what changes are needed.

@nrllee @bedifferent I am in favor of the U-turn. :thumbsup: Hopefully, the concept may be applied to other characters as well.

21 hours ago, larus said:

I like seing Shi Mok and Dong Jae working and spending time together. It is fun to watch because they are so different. Dong Jae is the same weasel but more relatable this season. I wonder what happen with him. We want our weasle back. 

18 hours ago, ross27 said:

The interactions of Shi Mok and Dong Jae are priceless! I understand his motivations better on why he is so keen to join the Supreme Prosecutor Division. I hope he is not in real danger though.

Shi Mok and Dong Jae’s bonding time was precious. Dong Jae really tried with the “reminds me of the old days” line, but Shi Mok was not having it. Also, a part of me could not take Dong Jae seriously when he was talking about the struggles of the prosecutor life with the strawberry milk in hand. LOL. But yes, we need our weasel back. Do you think the phrase "you don't know what you have until it's gone" could apply here? :D

giphy.gif

When Chief Kang heard about Shi Mok calling prosecutor Ryu, his reaction was priceless. Like Not again! :w00t:

It amazes me how Shi Mok is so funny without the intention of being funny. I also liked this exchange between him and the prosecutor in Suwon. I chuckled at his explanation of “a few things” and how he will notify the prosecutor what he is looking for when he finds it. :lol: Even a stranger cannot help but find Shi Mok’s honest personality amusing.

giphy.gif

At first I was a little puzzled how Hanjo group storyline bend with the other stories but I like it how Lee Yeon-Jae is facing her own struggles. She has two man who have feelings for her. :D

I like the Hanjo storyline more and more with each episode. I have a strange soft-spot for LYJ. Maybe because I personally know widows and understand that grief can be a life-long struggle. On top of that, she lost the support of her father/brother and is carrying the weight of Hanjo on her shoulders almost alone. But yeah, it is nice to see that there are some people (such as the men) who seem to be rallying around her.

And, I also agree with others here that her lipstick scene was indeed so powerful! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, taeunfighting said:

@nrllee @bedifferent I am in favor of the U-turn. :thumbsup: Hopefully, the concept may be applied to other characters as well.

Writer has already given us one. In the person of Yoon Se-won (Lee KyuHyung).  He’s paying for his crime.  If there was one takeaway from that scene, it was that he seemed “at peace”?  He acknowledged the wrongdoing, doesn’t seem to be wallowing or filled with resentment?  He’s accepted the judgement/punishment?  And I liked that YJ was there to “see” him.  She paused and stopped her investigative process to make small talk (even if it was awkward and uncomfortable - but only from her perspective?  YSW seemed to understand why she was stammering).  She had not forgotten him.  SM may have been the parcel sender.  Or maybe the human rights lawyer from S1?   But it does sound more like SM, no attached note or words of encouragement.  Human rights lawyer would probably add a card/note and a “fighting” scrawled on it and sign off.  :lol: I still remember how the boys were having a go at YJ when she got the flowers and lipstick from him.

• Like 6

@nrllee I agree, YSW would be one so far. A few pages back, bedifferent also wrote a heartfelt post about their encounter in prison as well. After some time has passed and likely self-reflection, he does seemed to be more at peace and Yeo Jin seemed to be able to greet him like an old friend, not a prisoner. A stark contrast of their last encounter in season 1. I was pleased that we got that scene of them.  

Regarding the care package, my initial gut feeling told me that it had to be sent by Shi Mok. Like you and larus mentoned, it seems very Shi Mok-ish to not leave a note of some kind with his name on it - intentionally or unintentionally. Also, I remember from the closing of season 1, Shi Mok had a framed photo of the team which included Eun Soo and YSW. So, it left me thinking that he still has them in his thoughts.

Spoiler

PsYqgar.png

Seo Dong Won (human rights lawyer) would be my second guess, but also like you, I think he would have left a note on it like he did with his flowers/lipstick gift to Yeo Jin. That gesture was so bold and adorable. LOL. I wonder if the sender will be revealed later or if it will be left open-ended for us to conclude.

• Like 5

Hi all...

I'm not entirely happy with S2 so far but I'm persisting because of the characters and I'm still optimistic that things will get better. The set-up has gone on a bit too long IMO and the intrigue that was the strength of the first season seems to be lacking. Of course it's not without any redeeming qualities. 

I am a viewer that's all about the fundamentals.The question that needs to be asked... that no one across the divide has even really taken the time to really process is this... what is the purpose of the criminal justice system? That is to say... why do we have cops and prosecutors? In this scramble for investigative rights, I don't see them having this discussion. Why don't we just have cops? Why don't we just have prosecutors? Why both? Does one group make the other redundant? What are their brief... their goals? I am well aware the council meetings for some are a media circus. A publicity stunt to show the public that something's been done. However, (as someone has been in different types of committees before) that good can come of it when there's genuine intent to problem solve.

It seems almost laughable (and childish) that so-called adults are playing this game of one-upmanship when it's so obvious that both organizations are in dire need of house cleaning. The case of the police suicide exemplifies that. It's like neighbours fighting over the boundaries of a fence when they're homes are in disrepair, with potential hazards all around needing extensive renovations. Instead of dealing with broken windows and deteriorating floorboards, the occupants are throwing all their energies camping outside, slapping paint on the external walls and shouting insults across the fence about how poorly the people on the other side are doing looking after their place.

The police have serious systemic problems that they would rather whitewash. The bribery, bullying, nepotism are symptomatic of larger issues in the public service power struggle. It fosters a toxic workplace culture in which competent, diligent people can't do their jobs honestly. There's no support or incentive for good behaviour because it's all about power dynamics fostered by the higher-ups who seem more concerned about gatekeeping and hanging on to their piece of the pie. This doesn't surprise me but the unfiltered, expedient cynicism does. The end, in this view of the world, justifies the means.

Choi BIt is a rare female figure in the police force who has attained a high position in the organization. I suppose she sees herself as Yeo-jin's mentor in a workplace where women are scarce. It is her assumption that Yeo-jin lacks ambition because she's not interested in the power plays that circumvent due process. I imagine Yeo-jin doesn't see the point of amassing power for its own sake if the power doesn't lead to "better policing" ... whatever that might mean or if a person loses him/herself in the interim.

It is in this context that our leads find themselves. The line restriction conversation is Si-mok's way of comforting Yeo-jin who is obviously suffering a serious crisis of conscience. How does one do one's job in a less than ideal environment? It's enough to make a grown man cry having to navigate the command structure of the organization, protect the organization and do the work that one signed up for.

I am interested in that intersection between self-interest, individual conscience and public good. I expect that this is the big question of where the show is headed.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 3

Wahaha what’s w stranger 1 & 2 fixation On lips?! When LYJ smeared her lips,  I thought her right hand guy would think the news guy had forced kissed her. But he didn’t even bat an eyelid but shielded her from view in the lift. 

Am curious who is lawyer Ryu? I don’t Rem him at all - has he appeared yet other than in the conversations?

As for Shimok’s boss, u know I wondered if what he did was really a a bad thing for selling stocks before the crisis started. I mean, I would see all my stocks if I knew it’s going to drop!! It’s only natural. Would I be a martyr if one knows beforehand that one will lost lots of money?!! So I really feel for Woo. So like what @40somethingahjumma said, it’s all about self interest and self preservation.  Even in real life I think many would have crossed the same line. 

• Like 7
  • Jillia changed the title to [Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2