[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

0ly40

Okay I am back

The writer :

I have to say I liked that the writer  making sure to show both sides wrong  doing, dirty work and human side too .

just like the scene SDJ who we most dont like his looking out for chance's  but here we hear  the  hard part of the life of prosecutor's  not just how powerful and connected they are like before,  but how much they also have difficulty  with the system, difficult  to have a normal work life and family 

As SDJ said the system  making even who dont want to dream of raising  to top to have normal life style 

And we get the prisoner  police  officer  who I dont like anything  he said and like YJ dont think what said  justify his wrong doing. 

but again the writer  talk about the system, how police  officers  feel while working hard and danger work and getting little  salary and how hard they can resist taking bribe  when the system  dont offer a good benefit system like it should be 

I have to admired  this writer for all his works  how he tried  hard to make sure to be objective and give a balance  storyline  and he attack ideas not specifically  people or one side system 

The PD

I am sorry  sadly I start to not like the new PD, I know that I shouldn't compared  between old and new one but I was fairly  trying to judge  him from his own style  not from the style  of the old one

but today was so many great, impact  and powerful scenes that should show change  and so much struggle in so many characters  but here  I am I didnt feel it, beside the good written  for the scene and the good work of the actors  the scene felt normal from directing side style  

I dont know if I am explaining  myself right but their the direction style, the direction that should change to suit  the  difference of the scene , the colorful  of the scene and the longer and deeper  the camera give to each scene and the background  music 

It just my humble view I am not saying it should  be like this for everyone but I missing the touch of good PD that make the some scenes  special and I feel like it the same tones  of work to different scenes 

I hope I am wrong and my feeling will change later since it a really good written  story and good cast I dont want it to be so ordinary cause something like that

Edit: 

What I mean here beside the dialog and acting itself there should the color  of the scenes and the tones that help us to see the thrill or intense  or the emotional  of the scenes 

Right now the dialog  and acting doing it but the tones dont show so much different  between the scenes 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 6

The police team have planned very well and has prepared counter attack for every situation on the other hand prosecution just seems to be relying on their pride; just like the previous 3 times, this time also they won't lose anything. Also, instead of countering police's arguments they are choosing to do back door deals like using their connections in National Assembly 

• Like 5

I binge watched Kingdom S1 and S2 last night and then I realized today is Saturday! More Bae Donna ((:

@nona88 I agree in your points about S2 PD's style of directing. While your focus is on the color and the tone of the scenes, my focus is on the camerawork. In today's episode's last scene, there was the classic panning out of the characters Woo Tae Ha + Shi Mok and Choi Bit + Yeo Jin staring at each other. It loses the tension between the police vs. prosecutors built up by the storytelling. In addition, the soundtrack in the last season was more complementary to the storytelling than this season's. 

Also, in S1, the PPL was seamlessly decisive in how it was woven into the storytelling. I feel like this season is a little bit off or maybe again, it might the style of directing...or even how the editor is cutting the scenes to visually tell the story.

What is consistent between the two seasons is the spaces that the characters live in. 

Opening Scenes: 

Yb5zmDy.png

S1 opening scene, shot from under a bridge or another freeway, captures two freeways converging into one point. It may represent the teamwork between Yeo Jin and Si Mok coming together. It may represent how interconnected all the characters are.

Hbt2MIP.png

S2 opening scene captures two dominant buildings facing each other, which may represent the fight between the police and prosecutors.

In the first week, we see SiMok constantly driving, moving from one place to another.

Spoiler

AQ67y9s.png

He's back on the freeway and I believe this scene is for PPL, but also a nod to the first season's opening scene.

jgjR2WW.png

His car zooming into the background and blending in indicates that he's going back into that complex, interconnected world. He can't really escape from it. 

The reason I bring this up is because in today's episode SDJ mentions about relocation and the not-so glamorized side of the prosecutor life.

"We get relocated every two years and it's not like I can take my kids with me every time."

"I studied my RickRoll'D off, but I'm always packing and unpacking. It's ridiculous."

"Why do people want good positions? I think this system is making even those who are not interested forcibly climb the ladder. The fact that they're prosecutors only means that they wanted to have good careers. When people like that are constantly relocated, how can they not want to climb to a higher position?"

On the other hand, Si Mok has been driving with his books in the back. And today, we've finally saw him settled down in the place with investigators(if I remember correctly). The small room with the blinking light contrasts with his nice apartment in the first season.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 4

7 hours ago, Gummi said:

I keep thinking who would have sent that pkg to Prosecutor Yoon!

- kim jong bon (no reason for him to not indicate his name)

-SM (doesnt seem like his style)

- Lee yeon jae ( perhaps she was showing care on behalf of her husband who was partly one of the driving forces behind Yoon)

- kang won cheol chief prosecutor

- park kyungwan (PMS's son)

I'm going to add to this list and will keep tab.  Everyone, make your guess.^^

- Kim Ho Sub (SM's old assistant) - he was part of the team, sympathetic to Mr Yoon's situation.

There are lots to talk about this episode (which I agree, is the best so far... @seinhi hope to see more cameos from S1 cast). I will touch on several before I lose my thoughts :D

Prison scenes:

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 3.24.18 PM

This shot brings make memories of S1 when ShiMok rushed in before Kang Jin Sub's suicide. Back then, the hallway and bars were basked in light and shadows as the murder mystery was just unfolding.  This time we see Yeo Jin meeting Mr Yoon, the person who set KJS up as the fall guy, in broad daylight... serving his sentence.  Justice was served but what I like is Yeojin gets to see the aftermath of her actions years later.  We talked about how Yeojin has matured over the last three years.  Her principles stayed relatively in tact, she has not forgotten the human relationships that made her who she is, she maintains her belief in goodness of people.  The disappointment Yeo Jin felt toward him, the feeling of betrayal at the end of S1, have been replaced by empathy for a life wasted.  May be they were dulled by the passage of time, maybe they are less sharp because Yeojin have become accustomed to the corruption of this society working in Intelligence Bureau.  What she did feel is this genuine concern for another person outside of the criminal she helped put behind bars.  For Mr Yoon, his sad outcome deserves some empathy.

I rewinded this scene many times. Bae Doona's astonished face, Lee Kyu Huyng's little smile, Yeo jin's tiny wave, her fingers nervously twining the lanyard of her badge.  So good.  It's like seeing an old friend whom you had broken up over a big fight and awkwardly try to reconcile.

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 3.22.08 PMScreen Shot 2020-08-29 at 3.18.31 PM

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 3.23.06 PMScreen Shot 2020-08-29 at 3.27.14 PM

Which leads to the next scene where she met Shi Mok and Seo Dong Jae afterward. Seeing Mr Yoon inside must have left some impression and reminded Yeo Jin of her past.  I like how the drama purposely chose to have Yeo Jin beat Shi Mok to the prison.  This may have soften the prosecutor-police stance from the hostile end of the first council meeting.  It also helped when ShiMok was very honest about his reason for being there.  @Gummi I'm with you.  Their relationship is precious.  If they were husband and wife, they would rarely fight.  Big fights at least. LOL

I also love love Seo Dong Jae this season (he's The Negotiator!).   Thought the transition of SDJ/SM scenes were very good too.  We first get a shot of him in his dark dorm room at the end of a hard working day listening to the radio lavishing praise on good prosecutor Shi Mok.  I don't see jealousy outright from SDJ rather disappointment that he never had the same luck.   As we switch scene to star player Shi Mok, SM is shown arriving to his own dorm room in no better living condition than Dong Jae.  To SDJ, Shi Mok must live the glamorous life of celeb prosecutor whereas in reality, he turned down the hotel room for the worst view and lighting.   For SM, his knack for function over form, his natural ability to resist temptation, is a natural extension of who he is. 

We then get to the prison where SDJ starts, in his own way, opens up to a nonchalant Shi Mok about his prosecutor life woes.  He has asked Shi Mok for referral before; this time, he tried things differently.  Reminding SM of the old days, which SM flatly denied never happened :lol: Why I started to love SDJ this season is that we get to hear about what drives his actions more.  He is definitely given a more human touch.  The un-glamorous life of a prosecutor required him to move every 2 years to honor the integrity of the post.  This is hard of SDJ's family life so he confessed this as one reason for him wanting to join the Supreme Prosecutor office.  I feel for him, something I would never say in Season 1!  He wants the same thing as Chief Woo and Asst Prosecutor Kim, a better family life.  Makes me realize that all these prosecutors have basic human needs like everyone else.  It doesn't negate their questionable actions but explain the reason why for some, ladder climbing and ambitions are not only career driven.  The need to better oneself is universal and relatable.  The prosecutor's (SDJ) concerns are similar to the police's (Lee Dae Sung)... both share more things than they realize. 

AGB Nielsen rating

Episode 1 (8/15/20):  7.627% (9.012% Seoul)

Episode 2 (8/16/20):  6.415% (7.585% Seoul)

Episode 3 (8/22/20):  7.014% (8.190% Seoul)

Episode 4 (8/23/20):  6.422% (7.378% Seoul)

Episode 5 (8/29/20):  6.041% (7.070 % Seoul)

Source

• Like 9
  • Insightful 1

8 hours ago, Gummi said:

And i loved how SM just stated his thoughts point blank to WTH that WTH must have had a role in covering up the corruption. I was hoping to see WTH get riled up or show a bit more emotions, but kinda just got quite a flat denial. Not sure if it is the way WTH's character is supposed to be?? I feel there is a lot underneath his exterior of chillness but it is just not showing now.

Somehow I get the feeling it’s because of his background as a family man?  Remember his conversation at dinner with SM and the other guy (I forget his name)?  They were talking about his daughter (exchanging small talk about families), how she was really into dancing and her lessons were costing him an arm and a leg.  He has responsibilities to his family, as a breadwinner.  SM and YJ have no such responsibilities.  Their actions don’t have ramifications outside of themselves?  WTH on the other hand (like all married men with families to support) have other considerations which factor into their decision making process.  If everything goes pear shaped for them, and they lose their jobs because they don’t play ball with the higher ups or fail to dance to the tune given them, the ripple effect is far greater.  It affects their family.  So they decide to stay silent.  But LCJ has already stated in the beginning with his voiceover that staying silent is not the solution.  They sacrifice their integrity and risk losing the very thing that they think they are protecting - the respect of their family and those around them.  EunSoo’s father stayed mum in S1 about the whole thing.  He palmed off the responsibility of looking after his daughter to SM instead, knowing full well she was strong willed and would pursue the cause relentlessly?  That’s why SM was so mad with him.  Her father had the ability to stop her by giving her the truth, but he never did.  He kept it hidden in that drawer of his.  And it cost ES her life.  ES’s father thought (erroneously) that by keeping the secrets hidden, he was protecting his family.  But he wasn’t.  He watched from the sidelines.  Washed his hands of it.  I get the feeling this is WTH’s predicament.  

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Is it only me that absolutely loves Season 2? It does have a calmer feel than Season 1, since the main focus isn't Shi Mok and Yeo Jin (our favorite duo) running around solving crime. It's a heavy topic, this power struggle between the Prosecution and the Police, and I see why some people wouldn't prefer this kind of content. The first few episodes were a bit slow as well, and I understand. 

Even so, I don't think it warrants all the negative comments going around. I don't see as many comments like these on this website; I'm talking more about the Korean communities on Twitter, or even on Youtube sometimes. Of course, you're absolutely free to state your opinion, and I completely respect that, but I'm just a bit confused. I thought the recent episodes were gripping, provided us with tension, and moved along the storyline. But most of the people I've seen (I'm a Korean speaker), seem to be saying that this season is no fun at all, that it's too boring, slow, etc. What amuses me is that many people said the same things for Season 1, until it received critical acclaim and suddenly many people began to like it.

Once again, I completely respect your opinion if you don't like this show, or perhaps just this season. I'm just bewildered how all the opinions are so polarized, from "Episode 5 was the best" to "Episode 5 was the last straw and I can clearly see that this season is a fail." 

Sorry for the long rant, but I really just needed to ask: Is it just me who likes this? The essence and tension of the show seems the same to me as it was in Season 1. In fact, I feel like this season is more mature, in the way that the characters are more down-to-earth, and it's even harder to see who is bad and who is good. It's a well-made, philosophical view of corruption, (I loved the conversation about using connections between Kang Won Cheol and Shi Mok), and it is difficult to understand. But that's what makes this show fantastic, and I feel like that was an obstacle you had to cross, even in Season 1. What's so different this time? I'm just wondering if I'm the strange one, lol. 

• Like 12
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, skdfoweof wio said:

Is it just me who likes this? The essence and tension of the show seems the same to me as it was in Season 1. In fact, I feel like this season is more mature, in the way that the characters are more down-to-earth, and it's even harder to see who is bad and who is good. It's a well-made, philosophical view of corruption, (I loved the conversation about using connections between Kang Won Cheol and Shi Mok), and it is difficult to understand. But that's what makes this show fantastic, and I feel like that was an obstacle you had to cross, even in Season 1. What's so different this time? I'm just wondering if I'm the strange one, lol. 

It's definitely not only you. Many people in this forum including me love this season. I have said that in my earlier post as well that this season is much tighter than S1. Yes, even for S1 many people said that it was slow, and all (even the ratings were moderate). I feel S1 was much easier to understand compared to S2 in the sense that it was a murder case since the start. They weaved the prosecution corruption as the drama progressed. In S2, the main plot is already given. I don't know about South Korean people or others but here in my place, 95% of the viewers wouldn't want to invest their time in watching something which forces them to ponder or think. Simply put, they want a story where things aren't complicated. We won't get that from this writer. And S2 has heavy political terms and things unique to SK. So many people not able to relate to it is understandable to me.

• Like 9

So a good 5th episode overall but my favorite scene had to be the interaction between Prosecutor Yoon and YJ in prison. @bedifferent that was such a beautiful explanation of their encounter and it makes so much sense especially as you pointed out how working at HQ, being more mature and seeing more of the world has probably made YJ look at Prosecutor Yoon more empathetically. There were so many emotions in the scene- happiness, awkwardness, nostalgia, pity, consideration, etc. I felt so sad to learn that he didn't have any visitor in last 3 years, for some reason I will always have a soft spot for Yoon. I know he is a criminal but still- the story of how his child died breaks my heart. So good to see him again. I hope he can also play a role in their investigation by spying on the police guy or something. And the gift that was sent to him makes me think it will in some way tie up with the mess SM-YJ are in.

What I am also curious about is the envelope CB asked YJ to bring with her and asked her not to look inside. Makes me think that she deliberatley asked her not to look to indirectly encourage her to look. Somehow I feel CB is only acting to be this bad guy and that inwardly she is on YJ's side to expose the truth. But of course I could be totally wrong.

Finally, the police sucide case is only getting more interesting. From the police chief's nephew being in Segok, to the chief's driver being from a high ranking family. Maybe SM-YJ can leverage the driver's position to in some way get some for Sergeant Song?

• Like 7

Ok, I'm 10 minutes into ep 5 and: 

1. Yeo Jin did not like at all the sensationalist and frivolous use that Choi Bit is making of the murder of the officer... This made me really dislike her
  2. Shi Monk is showing a lot of emotions!! (Won Cheol's office)
    edit: and the "it's natural" from WC made me dislike a him a little too...
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, rita96 said:

Makes me think that she deliberatley asked her not to look to indirectly encourage her to look.

Yep I thought the same. Also, I am wondering why is she so desperate to gain the investigation rights. I mean, yeah everyone in the police wants that. But to me it seems like she actually wants it for her personal gain. Does she want to bury a case that nobody knows of? She might have known that the assemblyman would sue the director and she was already prepared, makes me think she is actually using everyone's situation. Shouldn't the director be more desperate about winning this turf war? I don't see the similar eagerness in him compared to CB

• Like 3
  • Wiggle 1

The new still's : they saying it a vist in late time of the night, SM go to YJ house 

me I wish  it the start of them back to work together and not another conflict between  them ( we had enough till ep 6 ) we need them to back to rock the screen  as what they are ( not just being together  but to each one of them do what they do the best ) 

202008301411116335_1_20200830142016695.j  just talk honestly  about how much struggle  you too have, you both will never use what you saying to each other to help your bad bosses  

But I understand  their  posting  while they really  need someone  to talk  to , even talking to each other is betury to their work position 

Again just talk I hate to see this two holding back 

• Like 9
  • Love 1

@skdfoweof wio I like both seasons, even think the writing is a bit better in S2.  What it does well is making the corruptions into something tangible, relatable and important to the everyday person.  That's where I think season 2 shines.  How writer Lee uses the cases to illustrate the need for both police and prosecutor reform, presenting both sides, is no different than all her previous works. Our characters (even the side ones) are well treated.  Their trajectories, their personal stories feel completely in line with who they were last seasons. Granted, I often paused and rewind to understand the scenes, I have never found the episodes boring.  Being a second season will naturally invite comparison, there's a built in expectation to deliver the same kind of impact.  I think many viewers have expected Yeo Jin and Shi Mok to be actively driving the storyline forward as key players, which didn't really happen until episode 5.  Many understandably miss seeing them together as a team.

The conversations between Shi Mok and Kang Won Cheol make the argument for personal and professional integrity.  The line is not hard drawn for us like Shi Mok.  People don't follow rules steadfastly like him. The world is not black and white.  To many, it's easy to cross the line because it's in human nature to self preserve and to place your needs over others.  For public figures, they must be more recognizant of their actions.  Using connections to get what they need is taking the easier route instead of working with the system and abide by the rules.  What they eventually develop is a habit that over time becomes morally ambiguous.  One prosecutor do a favor for another expecting the same in return.  Eventually, favors add up, people lost objectivity and connections snowballed into corruptions.  It becomes less of a big deal when in reality, it is.  CP Kang was really good mentoring Shi Mok here.^^  What ironic is that a few minutes later, he went back on his words and dialed the western office CP to help out SM.  :D

CP Kang is pragmatic, or should I say a realist.  He sees the big picture, is aware of his place in the system.  I would say his first instinct is to protect himself and invite the least problems to his office.  Being older, he has invested too much into the system to jeopardize the benefits he gained over the years.  So he works with the system while trying not to disillusion the profession for his young prosecutors.  I guess he does feel some obligation to upkeep the integrity of the office as long as it doesn't hurt him personally.  After learning from his prosecutors that Woo Tae Ha was responsible for closing the investigation into Assemblyman Nam, he weighed the dilemma and chose silence over action.  Instead of exposing Woo Tae Ha as one who helped close Assembly Nam's case,  KWC kept quiet.  He is fully aware that this information will further support police's claim and destroy prosecutor credibility.  He chose to bury the info for now.

@rita96  Oh my god, you read my mind.  Yes, I want him to get intel for YJ from Lee Put those prosecutor skills to work.  I like Lee Kyu Hyung a lot, he was marvelous in Prison Playbook and Life. 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

18 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

After learning from his prosecutors that Woo Tae Ha was responsible for closing the investigation into Assemblyman Nam

I am in dilemma if it was actually Woo Tae Ha who covered up. The prosecutor with CP Kang also mentioned the same. Assemblyman Nam is from 17th class and Woo is from 27th if I remember correctly. And from previous season I know, each dialogue points to something. If Woo covered up, why would he bring HSM with him knowing how is he? Why to involve him in a case where he is the culprit?

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1

@skdfoweof wio you not alone I like the season 2 so much ( not in the same place of season 1 since season 1 has special place and different style that I like the most) 

Beside my little note about the PD  work, I so admiring the storyline  of season 2 of how much it so tied and how much it show realistic  argument  for so many sides and how it deal fairy with all the struggles  and how much we have cases to follow 

People complain  cause it hard core and  so much web stories and that dont fit everyone  and sure when they  come for a special  style  they waiting for 3 years and found another  they have the right to like or not 

I am more with mystery style then political  struggle  so I understand what others feel ,even so  I like season 2  cause I still like the second genre and can enjoy it

but that not the cause for everyone  so it okay for them to not like or being angry for not getting  what they was waiting  for 

And let not forget the story here has so much sides stories and  a little of team work and herionic leads fighting against wrong   from day 1 so it a little hard to watch and keep living the intense of this work ( I think it going to be more easy to so many when YJ  and SM  back to work  against  the system and we start progress  with the cases solving cause it slow now and it like each episode  dont make more then one or two days of the drama timeline) 

@seinhi

I really  like the photo you shared that scenes and other and the title of "caged birds"  so fitting  here , oh I think the most hard part watching this drama is seeing this two suffocation on their cages like this 

I understand  bea  doona  words from the interview  now, how she felt strange meeting the  YJ after 2 years and asking herself  if that even the YJ  she know?? 

I am so awaiting for them to break out of that cage, so awaiting  to see them fly hight and cant even explain  their  feeling now when I am watching them and feel so suffocation of how  much they holding on and feel like living in hell 

they need each  other, since  as YJ said in season  1 " I am sure there isn't so many people like this"  and now they living around  people  who all just like this, so they need each  other to remember  what the right way to live 

P.s. another title that suits  them "falling aliens" since thet feel the stranger  feeling trapped  in another  world. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, nona88 said:

I understand  bea  doona  words from the interview  now, how she felt strange meeting the  YJ after 2 years and asking herself  if that even the YJ  she know?? 

Yes, HYJ is in tight spot now. The stakes are high now. It's not like how it used to be in Yongsan. In S1, she told the reporters about PMS's blood being found in a totally unrelated place. She was suspended for that. But at that time police weren't in a war with prosecution for investigation rights. She can't act like that now as it would lead them losing the rights once and for all

• Like 3

Okay it just hit me now I didn't even realize  it till now 

Why they bring the prosecutor  killer  to meet YJ  by chance  , just emotional  scene , just to show that he now in piece  or other things

I forgot  what his role in season 1 he was the victim of the silence,  wrong doing and the dirty of the system and the unhearing justice before he becomes  a killer , someone  who fed up from exactly  what the prosecutor  and police  doing now together  again 

They bring him to remaind  YJ what the results  of closing eyes  to little  things  for the  bigger  good and  how it change and destroy  the live of the victims  and their  families 

I was just looking at the pictures  of yesterday  episode  when it just hit me hard , how I didnt even think about till now !!!

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

I am in dilemma if it was actually Woo Tae Ha who covered up. The prosecutor with CP Kang also mentioned the same. Assemblyman Nam is from 17th class and Woo is from 27th if I remember correctly. And from previous season I know, each dialogue points to something. If Woo covered up, why would he bring HSM with him knowing how is he? Why to involve him in a case where he is the culprit?

When Shimok suggested WTH had covered the corruption of the Assembly man, Tae-ha reaction was just....different almost surprise instead of being angry as most people would be. He is definitely hiding something but i am not sure about his real intention, not simply want to protect prosecutor rights. 

• Like 4

In the interview, the casts said the script is very complex with long dialogue. CSW said it gives different feel but it is a very tightly written script, even more than season 1. I have faith that it will be tied up nicely at the end.

My impression so far is the writer knows exactly what she is doing. 
I hope we get into more details and connection of each case starting from E6 as I don’t want to have a rushed ending. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, farawayland said:

In the interview, the casts said the script is very complex with long dialogue. CSW said it gives different feel but it is a very tightly written script, even more than season 1. I have faith that it will be tied up nicely at the end.

My impression so far is the writer knows exactly what she is doing. 
I hope we get into more details and connection of each case starting from E6 as I don’t want to have a rushed ending. 

I have faith in the writer as well. Trust that everything will somehow come together in the end. If i am not wrong, the prosecutor who CP Kang Won Chul is trying to keep silent on assemblyman Nam's case on is Prosecutor Ryu who also worked on closing the first case on the drowning of boys (prematurely). 

Everything seems linked somehow just that it is too early to fall together yet, in this writer's usual fashion. I do love the build up for the eventual 'ahh so this is why this happened' moment. E5 moved so quickly for me that i didnt feel like an hr had passed. 

• Like 4