[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

0ly40

Just rewatched the whole Audit meeting arguments again - because first time it just went totally over my head.

This is what I gathered from their conversations 

The Constitution (specifically Article 12.3 -  Full Constitution here https://www.refworld.org/docid/3ae6b4dd14.html) states that only the Prosecution is allowed to request for a warrant from a Judge.  This change happened as a result of a military coup in May16.  Before this, both Police AND the Prosecution had the right to make that request.  The Police argued that the circumstances surrounding the origins of that rule were dubious at best so it was faulty from the get go.  Prosecution argues that were it faulty, it would’ve been amended by now.  The fact that it’s remained unchanged means that it wasn’t an issue.

SM’s argument is that if you give the Police the same powers as the Prosecution, then where is the distinguishing line between the 2 departments?  His argument is that warrants actually act against fundamental human rights (actually I never thought about this before but he’s right).  A warrant to search your home, arrest you, go through your files/phone records etc...these are all activities that violate your fundamental human rights (which are listed in the Constitution).  That’s why YJ had to ask the rich guy (in the drowning case) to come to the station for questioning and he had to go willingly.  He had the right to freedom of movement.  She couldn’t “force” him to go to the station.  South Korea has their own National Human Rights Commission (they haven’t adopted the Universal Declaration determined by the U.N.).  He sees the Prosecution as guardians of the public’s human rights.  His argument is that the Police may be so hellbent for justice on cases that they are invested in, they would just request for warrants as a matter of course.

SM’s point. 

Spoiler

the power of the prosecution lies in their authority not to prosecute cases, not in their criminal prosecutorial authority. If the prosecutorial process begins with a warrant, the power should be exercised by the one that can prevent such misuse of authority. This why I must ask you this question. With the power to request warrants, you will face pressure to prosecute or not prosecute certain cases. How do the police plan to tackle this?

His belief is that the whole prosecutorial process begins with the warrant (search and seizure, arrest - all of which infringe on civil rights stated in the Constitution) and is then played out in full in the Court where the Prosecution presents allegations against the accused to the Court.  So if the power to request for warrants is shared and the Police have that authority as well, it would mean that the Prosecution would have to take on the cases that the Police deem worthy of Prosecution.  

YJ and CB’x counter argument is that the Judge still has to issue the warrant (Police would only be requesting it) so they have the final authority.  But SM’s comeback is that Judges are too far removed, they will just tick check boxes and issue them as a formality.  Prosecutors act as an extra check point (a point of objectivity) whereby the case can be looked at before a warrant is requested (which usually is then issued by the Judge).  As guardians of the public’s civil rights, they do not take lightly the requests for warrants because fundamentally they violate them.  That is the ideal of course.  And provided they aren’t self seeking or corrupt (which is often the case).

Jang points out what about the human rights of the public (eg in the rental scam) who have been denied because the Prosecutors in the Western Office stalled the warrant request.  And this is when they decide to walk out.  Stalemate.

I think this is where the divide is.  The Police are looking at the microscopic, molecular level of justice (which tugs at our heartstrings because hey, that’s where most of us live and breathe).  For the oppressed, for the little people.  The Prosecution are looking at the macroscopic level.  Not just justice for the individual cases, but for the whole.  Yes even for the rich and famous.  Everybody, regardless of their economic status or life circumstances have inalienable rights just because they are human beings.  They are looking at the ideal.  Just some thoughts that come to mind. :)

• Like 5
  • Insightful 4
  • Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 7:08 PM, Gummi said:

Welcome @ross27! :)

I do feel sad for YJ at HQ now with her snooty colleagues. She was much closer to her yongsan team though she had only joined the team not long ago in S1. It is sad not to see any more happy drawings in YJ's current home. Wonder if it reflects how she is not so happy in her current position, seeing her colleague give her a look when he caught her drawing/dooling. 

When will we get our terrace scene! I wonder if this is at YJ's home? And they are sharing how they feel with each other

@Gummi Thank you for your welcome. She is happier at Yongsan. The HQ high brow attitude does not suit her at all. Still, despite that environment, she could not hide her creative need to draw, although not as freely. The terrace scene! Yes, I am looking forward to watching that! They look so serious!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

Reveal hidden contents

the power of the prosecution lies in their authority not to prosecute cases, not in their criminal prosecutorial authority. If the prosecutorial process begins with a warrant, the power should be exercised by the one that can prevent such misuse of authority. This why I must ask you this question. With the power to request warrants, you will face pressure to prosecute or not prosecute certain cases. How do the police plan to tackle this?

I think this is where the divide is.  The Police are looking at the microscopic, molecular level of justice (which tugs at our heartstrings because hey, that’s where most of us live and breathe).  For the oppressed, for the little people.  The Prosecution are looking at the macroscopic level.  Not just justice for the individual cases, but for the whole.  Yes even for the rich and famous.  Everybody, regardless of their economic status or life circumstances have inalienable rights just because they are human beings.  They are looking at the ideal.  Just some thoughts that come to mind. :)

Thanks for the blow by blow breakdown of the council meeting! Though Ive rewatched, i think i missed some of the takeaways you reflected here! Blame my slow reading of subtitles lol

I fully agree with your point that the divide is by the different perspective each side is taking. And both are not wrong in their own arguments. Which i find it great the way the writer always reflects things very realistically rather than a clear cut right/wrong or black/white. I dont fully agree with the police in that they are fully ready to deal with all implications of being able to request for warrants just by bringing in some legal reps. But prosecutors would also have to review the way they are currently handling the process as custodians of prosecution process. They themselves are not 100% confident that they do not further their own agenda i.e. the way CTH immediately suspected that West Prosecutor office could indeed be deliberately making things difficult for police side by witholding the arrest warrant.

In real life, i am not sure if there may be no win-win middle ground for both unless both sides are willing to make concessions. 

Side note, it is the weekends soon! Cant wait for E5-6 for more SM-YJ action!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, nrllee said:

Excellent points you brought up.  Shi Mok approaches the accused from the presumptive viewpoint of innocent until proven guilty since his role as prosecutor is to foremost uphold the law and constitution. That which includes protecting every citizen's basic human rights and those under the constitution. I am not in law but I agree that protecting human rights can be a contentious point depends on whether you are guilty or innocent.  It boils down to whose right you are protecting and advocate.  In countries where citizens are subjected to a police state or dictatorship, having the warrants go through prosecutors ensure that there is a check and balance in place to prevent abuse.  The argument by Choi Bit, Jang Gun and Yeo Jin is that the power to obtain warrants need to be practical and useful to law enforcements.  They must be issued in  a timely manner, free from political maneuvering and be a tool to help law authorities. The divide between police and prosecutor seems to be widened by the perception that prosecutors cannot relate to the general public from their high in the sky offices or do they have the same priority and urgency as their police counterpart.

20 hours ago, nrllee said:

I don’t see SM rising up the ranks.  He doesn’t play the political game.  YJ may end up back in the field because that’s where her heart is.  Although she seems pretty content to be where she’s at right now.  Neither SM nor YJ buck the system.  They adhere to the boundaries dealt out to them and live out their moral code where they are placed. 

My feeling is that SM and YJ do believe the system is not corrupted but rigged with certain people who tend to exploit it for their own gain.  I think they haven't lost hope because they are still in it.   Especially YJ who, despite not a good fit for the Intelligence Bureau, keep working at her job because she knows how important it is to have good people like her there.  Perhaps both feel they are meant to be like the Avengers, assemble when needed to fight the good fight.   When done, return to obscurity.  You're right, neither SM or YJ is ambitious like Dong Jae.  However, for the same reason, they don't have to sacrifice their principles or beliefs.

@taeunfighting About Dong Jae, he's perfectly written so far.  LOL  Seems like he did take LCJ's advice to heart. With Yeon Jae, he has found someone to lend support to.  Dong Jae has always been searching for security, a place to belong, someone that can give him protection.  When Yeon Jae complimented him, Dong Jae was genuinely touched.  I mean he always look for rewards in exchange for his service.  Now I realized that he is as human as us, he wants to be recognized on a personal level.  

Like you, I root for Yeon Jae to succeed at her bid for control of Hanjo.  Everyone has underestimated her strength as a businesswoman and even more so, her intelligence.  She has to hide her vulnerability from many but I think this still human part of Yeon Jae will help her gain sympathy and understanding from even her enemies.  It's a humility trait that her father and brother don't have.  Maybe we'll see her make a friend or two by the end. 

@nona88 @larus  I can tell you are Yeo Jin's biggest supporters! :)  Bae Doona will always be Yeon Jin to me, no matter how many works I have seen her in.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I just finished watching the 4th episode. Have been going through this thread. Someone had asked what Yeo Jin when she said "it was suicide, but it is homicide", in my opinion she simply meant that it was ruled as suicide while it being homicide. 

As for the Srgt. Song Gi Hyeon's death, it was a proper planned murder for me. The bruises on his chest could be as a result of being beaten up before tying his neck with the rope, or could have been because of being just beaten up before. I place my bet on the earlier on. I believe he was beaten up, when he became semi-conscious, tied his neck on the rope (that's when he scratched the Team Leader's hand). All were involved that's why they could over power him, like a couple of them actually holding his arms from back, while was being beaten.

Then they made it look like a proper suicide scenario. He was already depressed because of all the bullying they were doing, committed suicide, the chief tries to save him, he scratches his hand. Then the chief performs CPR on him which could be the cause for the bruise on his chest. When they all said the same story, it was decided that it was suicide. Even the autopsy was not done for the same reason. At the same time I think Choi Bit decided to bury the case as same and not investigate it then (she was the chief there, right?). We have seen countless times in different dramas that prosecutors and police force have always tried to protect their own people in order to avoid public backlash. 

About the police-prosecutor debate, I still feel like the prosecution acting in between is required. If the police gets the authority to request warrants, they'll definitely abuse their power more as argued by the prosecutors. The judges already have a lot other important tasks to do than checking the details about the warrants requested. If the prosecution acts in between and requests, the judge does know that they have checked the main points regarding the warrant and just do follow the procedure by check listing certain things. If the police get to do it, they'd literally start requesting warrants every now and then too. It would give them more ease to abuse their power. Prosecution sure is corrupt, but police force is not that innocent. They could even sometimes prevent some warrants being requested now that they get the authority to do it. Things would not change that much, but could get worse.

As for Choi Bit and Woo Tae Ha, they both look shady to me. They both have had their share in burying some cases (could be same or not, I think it'll be different). Right now they made us look like both of them making Yeo Jin and Shi Mok to go after each other and check what they are doing. But we all know that what's gonna happen. Neither Shi Mok nor Yeo Jin are the type to be ordered by others and follow them blindly. Shi Mok is infamous for being not following orders blindly. He stays silent while observing every single details and does what he thinks is right. Same is Yeo Jin, she also does not blindly follow or trust others. So we can see them both investigating things very soon. 

Also someone had pointed whether Shi Mok will blindly follow Choi Bit because he trusts Yeo Jin and Yeo Jin trusts her. i don't think that's gonna happen. As I said this guy is a keep observer. He does not necessarily just trust anyone even if Yeo Jin does. Also I think even Yeo Jin does not trust Choi Bit that much. We saw that she decided not to tell her about Shi Mok seemingly investigating something about Segok Station. Also regarding Srgt's suicide, her suspicion regarding her being involved in it will make her more not trust her.   

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Gummi said:

I fully agree with your point that the divide is by the different perspective each side is taking. And both are not wrong in their own arguments. Which i find it great the way the writer always reflects things very realistically rather than a clear cut right/wrong or black/white

Loved what you said here. Yes that's the beauty of this writer, instead of showing one party as right or wrong, she leaves it to the discretion of the viewers and I as a viewer agree with both police and prosecution. But the fact "To the victor belong the spoils" is applicable. Both police/prosecutors are bound to misuse their power unless there are more people like HSM, HYJ. Even if laws are made to balance and check, people will always find some loopholes and take advantage of that

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Find this  fast interview with eng sub of  bea doona she talking about her work in kindom and secert  of forest  2 

I like how she said that she herself  wounderd  if the Yj she know from 3 years ago will or will not have to be a little  compromise with her new work and the situation 

Side note:   

I know a good written  from this very little  things, you know the writer  did make the cast in season 1 to live the mystery  of not knowing who the behind all that till the every end of filming by explaining  so many different  things and scenes all the time and make them wonder  themselves  and play the game like us till the very end , and that  why it was a well written  mystery  

And In  this season he making the argument  between  the prosecutors and police  so logical  and I think he also was playing the same game not telling them everything  from the start so they make their best  to be defined  their case and side of the argument 

And bea  doona here saying that she herself  has to wonder what YJ  will do know , with this new position  and with this fight is it olay to  compromise a little? Just like we here asking the same 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Jillia said:

For a short moment I thought it's Forest of Secret Day but it's only Friday! :lol:

Yeh I think it the hardest  in me with favorite  tybe  with drama  I like the thrill  but the long waited  week feel like year ( I am the tybe who when start reading a good book I have to finish  it no matter what - nothing  stop me) 

Why it not the D-DAY YET ? 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jillia said:

Not long and it's Saturday! :D But yeah, it's always torture to wait for dramas which are currently airing. Sometimes it's easier to bingewatch but that would to wait until the drama has finished airing.

I actually binge-watched the first season. Was actually busy watching other dramas, that I decided to leave it for binge watching. It turned out to be a great decision :gangnamstyle:.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jillia said:

That was really smart to bingewatch season 1 before season 2. :D

Oh, I think you misunderstood. I was talking about the time it was airing. At that time I was busy with other dramas so I waited for it to finish and watched all episodes together.

Wanted to watch season 1 again, but could not do it. Thought it would not be that important since the cases would be new, but now that I see, they are somewhat giving the references of the season 1's prosecutor's death. So I guess I should have. I'll skim through season 1's episodes though. :tenor:

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Jillia said:

Not long and it's Saturday! :D But yeah, it's always torture to wait for dramas which are currently airing. Sometimes it's easier to bingewatch but that would to wait until the drama has finished airing.

Yeh tell me about it I couldnt stop myself   from watching it live even when recently  most of the dramas  I watched  after being finished   but here I waited  for 3 years to do that and I cant resist  to be here taling and having fun watching  and solving it together  with everyone  

17 hours ago, Sleepy Owl said:

I actually binge-watched the first season. Was actually busy watching other dramas, that I decided to leave it for binge watching. It turned out to be a great decision .

I already did that  watching the first season  again before wit aired  and back and watching my favourite  scenes or episode  again between the first and the second week of season 2 :sweat_smile: I am hopless here 

And you can watch the first season like million  times and it still enjoyable  behind any words ( again it was a masterpiece  that nothing can win against  it ) 

Edited by MinLyn
Please do not quote reaction gifs. Thanks.
  • Like 2
  • Awesome 1

5 minutes ago, nona88 said:

I already did that  watching the first season  again before wit aired  and back and watching my favourite  scenes or episode  again between the first and the second week of season 2 :sweat_smile: I am hopless here 

And you can watch the first season like million  times and it still enjoyable  behind any words ( again it was a masterpiece  that nothing can win against  it ) 

Yeah I'll skim through the first season to remember the important events and facts. I guess this will be more related to the first season than I thought it would be :approves:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, nona88 said:

The 1st season was really great.

I saw it when it first aired. I remember starting it when it was nearly over, and just giving it a try without a lot of expectations because I was bored. And then I became so mesmerized, it was so good.

I watched the whole thing over again recently before S2 began because my husband hadn't watched it before. He asked me - "Do I really have to watch S1 to enjoy S2?" Of course I told him YES!

Re-watching is totally recommended, by the way, if anyone has the time. It really holds up. It was just as exciting and thrilling even if I knew the big twists.

• Like 8

I agree.  Didn’t think you would need to watch S1.  You do! Should!

A few points to watch for in the next episodes :cheers:

• LYJ is in a bind.  She has an impending tax penalty that prevents her from purchasing more shares to secure her place as major stake holder in the company. She needs to oust her brother another way so she has to somehow gets the prosecutors to respond to the article.  She couldn’t get Shi Mok to take action against the article but Dong Jae will prove to be useful in his own way!
  • CP Kang is neutral positive toward her cause.  He’ll back Shi Mok since his job and reputation are on the line.
  • LYJ’s ex boyfriend is CEO of Sungmoon Daily (Kim Byung Hyun).  He was going to take over his father’s empire through the arranged marriage with LYJ was going to unite the two chabeol families. Alas, the union didn’t happen, LYJ met LCJ at her brother’s trial and chose to marry for love.  Kim Byung Hyun was left with only the newspaper and his brother inherited the majority of the wealth.  He’s out for revenge.  Not only is he Hanjo’s shareholder, he joins her brother’s cause to take over control of Hanjo.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, chickfactor said:

The 1st season was really great.

I saw it when it first aired. I remember starting it when it was nearly over, and just giving it a try without a lot of expectations because I was bored. And then I became so mesmerized, it was so good.

I watched the whole thing over again recently before S2 began because my husband hadn't watched it before. He asked me - "Do I really have to watch S1 to enjoy S2?" Of course I told him YES!

Re-watching is totally recommended, by the way, if anyone has the time. It really holds up. It was just as exciting and thrilling even if I knew the big twists.

100% agree. I actually caught S1 only in 2019 when I saw it on Netflix. Went in without expectations as well as this was my first watching Bae Doona and Cho Seung Woo. To be honest, I was wondering if i would be able to get through a heavy show without my usual idol star eye candy. But once i saw Cho Seung Woo, i felt so intrigued by his SM characterisation. That emotionless face which only lets rare fleeting moments of feelings bubble up, priceless moments. I feel like it would have been easy for another actor to just carry out SM's character as flat and 2D. 

Ah I have digressed haha. But yes I rewatched S1 as well and it holds up. I loved everything and i wanted more. And I am glad we have S2 <3

• Like 3

We have new stills  

0004406606_001_20200829115904293.jpg?typ 

I think they  meeting while investigating  the case , more specifically  when they will trying to talk with the prisoner  officer 

YJ one step a head of them since she already talked to one of the officers  and will be the first to talk to the prisoner too 

Her face say a lot and I am sure SM  going to catch that 

What importing  that adding to the  rooftop scene  between  YJ  and SM we also going to get the cute scene between SDJ  and this two from the long preview :heart:

p.s. I think Choi will try to delayed  their investigation  with her connected  to delayed  allowing them to meet the officer's  that involved , we saw chief woo asking SM  to found what they planning and I think we will saw Choi asking YJ to bury  it 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bedifferent said:
  • LYJ is in a bind.  She has an impending tax penalty that prevents her from purchasing more shares to secure her place as major stake holder in the company. She needs to oust her brother another way so she has to somehow gets the prosecutors to respond to the article.  She couldn’t get Shi Mok to take action against the article but Dong Jae will prove to be useful in his own way!
  • CP Kang is neutral positive toward her cause.  He’ll back Shi Mok since his job and reputation are on the line.
  • LYJ’s ex boyfriend is CEO of Sungmoon Daily (Kim Byung Hyun).  He was going to take over his father’s empire through the arranged marriage with LYJ was going to unite the two chabeol families. Alas, the union didn’t happen, LYJ met LCJ at her brother’s trial and chose to marry for love.  Kim Byung Hyun was left with only the newspaper and his brother inherited the majority of the wealth.  He’s out for revenge.  Not only is he Hanjo’s shareholder, he joins her brother’s cause to take over control of Hanjo.

Thanks for these details to jog our memories.  I forgot about the SungMoon Daily’s CEO being LYJ’s ex.  :)

• Like 2