[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

0ly40

Mystery  time , okay SD  childish  but he really good at finding hidden  big secrets  I am not sure if he himself really  realized  or not that the 3 cases he give to chief woo are all connection  and maybe will be the key to bigger  thing going on( he sure at some  point going to regret  opening  that box) 

1. The prosecutor  death  case (April 2018 )  he die from heart attacked, he was drunk even when he should never do that, he was going to work with Hanjo Group, the case was close fast, the objection of the wife was removed  from the case files. - Choi was promoted right away after that to the national  police  officer after she was  that station chief.

2. The death  police  officer ( September 2017) : he was bullied, he was trying to find clue about his team bribe  and bad doing, mosty was killed, the case was closed fast too, the request  of the family to reopening  it was refused - not to forget in ( December 2017) the bribe case investigation start and her come the role  of the prosecutor who was in charge of that and hear about the chance  that there was murder  - okay I am sure that team was involved in more then just  bribery  since even the owners  of dangerous  businesses  were afraid of them. 

3. The third case the transformer  and punishment of the same police officer cause he speck up for the chief  hitting another police officer (around  june  2017 cause in that month he was transferred)   why chief woo  didnt take that case or talk about it to SM? they two related  case and prove of the power harassment  that was going on the same  good police  officer over and over cause he fight the wrong  till he die and it proof that it not just one accident,  it a big case but he hide that from SM , and who is the police  chief that hit  the driver and punish the police  officer  for speaking  up ?? The fact they didn't  show him hint for big scandal  later 

Okay crazy questions  now : 

1. They didnt show the face of the death prosecutor from case 1, neither said the name of the prosecutor  who was in charge of the bribely  case, so is there any chance they  are the same person ?? And he has to die since he know something  about what happen in 2017 case ? Is SD  hidden more information  he know about this three cases?  

2. Do I have to say again how much I dont like the fact that the events of season 1  start  around (January 2017 ),   is there  connection here ?? 

• Like 5

Forest of Secrets 2: Episode 3

by quirkycase

FoS203-00530.jpg

The battle continues as both sides prep for the first council meeting, hoping to secure power for their institutions. In addition, our favorite prosecutor is forced to team up with his slippery friend-adjacent colleague as they attempt to get to the bottom of the suspicious “suicide” case the higher ups hope will provide ammunition against the police. If things are already this tense before both sides even meet, I can only imagine how these talks will go.

EPISODE 3

FoS203-00059.jpg

As Dong-jae leaves, KIM SA-HYUN (Kim Young-jae) arrives, and Tae-ha formally introduces him to Shi-mok. The old friends are friendly toward Shi-mok but barely let him get a word in edgewise. They answer for him, tell him how to eat his food … you know the type. Per usual, Shi-mok doesn’t drink, and Tae-ha gets oddly tense when Sa-hyun asks if Shi-mok can’t handle alcohol.

Meanwhile, Yeo-jin goes to visit Gun at her old precinct. She’s going to recruit him, isn’t she? Yep, she is. But Gun doesn’t think he’s a good fit for the council.

FoS203-00106.jpgFoS203-00107.jpg

Yeo-jin shares that the prosecution is arguing Police Academy graduates are the ones with all the power, so they need someone like Gun to prove it’s not true. He’s high-ranking enough, not a Police Academy graduate, and young enough to satisfy Chief Choi’s requirements. He’s resistant until she starts flattering him about how good he is at his job and how he’s the perfect candidate for this.

more https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/08/forest-of-secrets-2-episode-3/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Annyeong soompi chingudeul! 

I love this drama since Season 1 and am sorry I haven't able to visit immediately after the  first and second episodes since I am still digesting what will be it's theme/conflict. 

To all who know S1, the theme revolves with Prosecutor Hwang Si Mok and how he isn't feeling any emotions and his connections to the prosecutor and police world and the rest is history. 

Stranger drama has the knacks of confusing twists of cases and if you really not keen to watch it, it will be a mess for a viewer to understand. 

So far we have two ongoing cases:

1. Drowning of two college freshmen wc has connection with the chaebol that taken out the signages around the coastal areas; 

2.the suicide of the police officer wc is highly doubted as homicide and used by the Prosecutor Legal Department to cement the right of Prosecution Dept to handles sole investigation. 

Now that I just finished ep3, it really surfaced that its theme for the mean time is the Battle of Prosecution and Police Department to their rights to investigate. And for me this will be an interesting conflict.

BRING IT ON!!! 

Both sides are readying themselves for the battle wc department should handle the investigation right. 

IMG-20200825-191617.jpg

2020-08-25-19-27-40.jpg

Ctto

• Like 3

I have just finished up to ep 4 and i am dying for more shimok-yeojin moments where they bounce ideas of each other! I hope S2 doesnt rob us of these golden moments. 

I am excited about what is coming next for our golden team. For once, i was happy when YJ hesitated and eventually did not report to Choi bit that shimok had also asked her about Segok police station incident. I took it to mean that she had faith that SM was investigating coz the case is fishy, rather than for other selfish agenda like sullying the police's name. Hope to see SM have YJ's back as well when WTH asks him to spy on YJ's findings in the next ep.

Just also wanna say I do kinda miss the old PD's cinematographic kind of feel

• Like 8

From the preview, it seems that Yeo Jin discovered that Choi Bit was the cheif of Segok station and she is asking if this is a coincidence. She started to question her. From the other side, Shi Mok is asking Woo Tae Ha is she is involved in the case (cover up). I like how both teams have the perfect persons for the job. They are not afraid to ask uncomfortable questions to their bosses.

Choi Bit is telling YeoJin to keep an eye on Shi Mok and his investigation and Woo Tae Ha is telling Shi Mook to keep and eye on Yeo Jin.

Both Police and prosecutors are involved in the case. A prosecutor told Choi Bit that someone is asking questions about the case/ investigates the old case.

• Like 6

@noor1  

I am sad to hear that you not enjoying  season  2 but I respect  your view of things 

to be honest  season 1 was more my favorite  that cause I am fan of a good mystery  and throwing  me into the life of the storyline   and that what was in season 1 ( I felt like reading my favorite styles  of  books )

If I have to compare between  the two seasons,  I wouldn't even watch season  2 cause the first was  more then perfect  and fit my style of story   to the point no drama did that before and no one will do that after for sure.

and I have to admit the old PD is in my top list no one can make the same  works he did in season  1 i wished they had him here too but I am okay with the new one 

You cant make the same story telling style  in the muilty  seasons  it will become  boring at some point , the writer  want a new  worth case and story and challenge  herself of doing that  big change in the style  and I respect  that from a really writer who respect his or her works and  not being a fan service writer   

I am going to always  have that special  place in my heart for season  1 no drama or another season can win against  that feeling, but when I watch muilty  season  all I care about is this 

1. Never to repeat  themselves  

2. Never change the characters personality without taking notice that they a really human being  to us, not just something  in papers  you change with pencil as you like

3. Give the same tied  story and perfect  cast work and performance  

4. Make progress  in each characters  life since they a living people  to us and let us feel the grown  that happen  in the life of those people  

5.please, really please dont  destroy  the thing I loved so much 

Other then this I dont care I want a really good story and a really good acting and a faith that they will give a really  treatment  to the characters  as much  as we do 

About the story and the ending I can watch the same story and ending so many times, what different  is about what you feel while watching  it , the road of telling  the storyline, the impact  of the performance  they leave on that what make two similar  story's so different  to us, the good work they doing while making us live the  story (season 1 even with that perfect  story would have being just ordinary one   without that great casts and PD) 

But I really respect  your view you cant force  yourself  to feel the story if you dont, but   I am  going to enjoy this story as long as they give me the same good work they did before  and believe  me if they going at some point to make me feel they messing up I am going to say that a loud too and just stop this story in my head at season  1 and  leave my wild mind keeping them living for 10 seasons  I did that before with Korean drama who run and destroy  my favorite dramas at some point ( no one can force me or you or anyone  to say something  is good when we feel it not) 

But for now they doing great,   job it just  I really miss the old PD  and I am not saying the new one  not doing great job  but it just he cant give the same feeling the old on give to us for sure and that was special work and feeling

• Like 6
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Gummi said:

I have just finished up to ep 4 and i am dying for more shimok-yeojin moments where they bounce ideas of each other! I hope S2 doesnt rob us of these golden moments. 

I am excited about what is coming next for our golden team. For once, i was happy when YJ hesitated and eventually did not report to Choi bit that shimok had also asked her about Segok police station incident. I took it to mean that she had faith that SM was investigating coz the case is fishy, rather than for other selfish agenda like sullying the police's name. Hope to see SM have YJ's back as well when WTH asks him to spy on YJ's findings in the next ep.

Just also wanna say I do kinda miss the old PD's cinematographic kind of feel

Yes even I was relieved that YJ didn't report to CB about SM asking her about Segok. I think she felt a little guilty about telling her about the drowning case at the cost of SM and in a way meeting SM again in person has made her re-realise how honest and upright SM is. I don't doubt SM will  have YJ's back no matter what WTH says to him because he has already started doubting his intentions but that is not the case with YJ, I think she really looks up to CB so she first has to start doubting CB's intention before she starts keeping things from her. And like @larus mentioned, next week YJ probably discovers that CB was in some way connected to the sucide case so the cracks are forming.

And then once they both start trusting their bosses a little less- they will come to rely on each other more. Rather than Police vs Prosecutor it will then become SM-YJ vs the Council. So fingers crossed and hopefully we'll see more of them working together.

• Like 7

On 8/24/2020 at 12:26 AM, pompyavi said:

Exactly. The HQ police team has never been in field so they don't care about that. They just want all the rights to be given to them. Same goes for prosecution as well. In S1, we saw how deep rooted the corruption in prosecution is. Though in this case both WTH and KSH seemed more human. 

Kind of disappointed on how Jang concluded ShiMok to be the same as others. I mean he worked with him before and he knows how he is. 

I get your disappointment! I felt that too. Then on second thought, I guess it is a pretty realistic representation. Given that he definitely is not as close to SM as YJ, and that they would likely not have kept in contact over the past 2 years unlike SM-YJ. So perhaps, after years has passed and seeing SM from Supreme prosecutor office on the opposing side, he just jumped to the conclusion that SM will be the same as the other prosecutors.

I thought SM's argument was pretty rational though, he did bring up legit points that the police will need to think of if they do obtain the rights to issue arrest warrants. Which is SM being true to himself as always, without emotionally charged arguments. I would so love to have him in my office meetings hahaha

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Gummi said:

I thought SM's argument was pretty rational though, he did bring up legit points that the police will need to think of if they do obtain the rights to issue arrest warrants. Which is SM being true to himself as always, without emotionally charged arguments. I would so love to have him in my office meetings hahaha

To be honest both prosecutor and police weren't looking for a common ground. Police team just wanted to blame prosecution for everything and want the rights to be given to them. Same goes for prosecution,  they have been wielding those rights since past 70 years, obviously they won't give up willingly and they had the laws on their side. Even what WTH said was quite apt, if the police is given power there would be an overflow of warrants and what's the guarantee that they won't misuse the power. Only Shimok was the one who came up with valid points, what he said was up to the point that if they can't show any difference between both the organization then the power should lie with someone where it would be less misused 

• Like 6

@rita96 , @pompyavi and @Gummi

I guess  we will not wait  so much for YJ and SM to work again together  since no matter  how much they trust their  boss  or not they have the true as their only goal  so this case  if it against  prosecutors or police  and even if YJ still trust choi  it have nothing  to do with this two searching  for answers 

But I agree YJ has to be shocked  by Choi soon to stop trusting  telling her  detail  but I trust YJ she smart and not someone you can control , she will not be so talkative without being sure and she will never betray  SM no matter how much it important  

SM is the only one who really dont care where the power go as long it will be used well, he also aware how dirty  and wrong the prosecutors using this power and he dont like it but he know also that the police  isn't better so he the only one  who thinking  rational  here as always

I think we going to see them backing each others again in the next two episodes  and I think from the long preview  it will not just be investigate old cases  here something  bigger  going to happen  and will shock  everyone 

P.s. even if YJ  choice  to silence  for a little  I wouldn't be mad since I know it will never be long for her to throw away everything  and only search for the true. And I know that SM  will support  any choice she will make since his trust  unlimited.

• Like 5
  • Awesome 2

Episode 3/4 were solid episodes.  I personally think Season 2 is as complex and well written as season 1 in term of character development and story telling.  The main conflict between police and prosecutors are just jumping points where we get diverging and converging stories to illustrate different viewpoints and arguments for both sides.  It's brilliant really, considering how many parallel yet at the same time interweaving relationships we have already get introduced in only 4 episodes.  

Love reading everyone's posts here.  Keep them coming.

The issue of warrants.  ShiMok has a point.  The power of the prosecutors lies in their power not to pursue a case; either based on their understanding of the laws or their interpretation of the evidences. His concern is that the police must know exactly what to do if is given this power of obtaining warrants on their own.  What will they do with the evidences gathered with the warrant?  Do they have enough legal knowledge to apply the evidences to the crime to decide if such a crime exist?  How about human rights and legal rights?  In order for the police to gain such right,  ShiMok argues that it must state at least one reason why having it obtain warrants directly from the judge is better or different than having warrants obtained through the prosecutors.

Can anyone help the police out with this? The police must also prove that they will not misuse suppress the evidences to serve their own purpose, a flaw in the current system.

On 8/22/2020 at 11:58 PM, pompyavi said:

Looks like Woo Tae Ha was saving himself rather than Choi Bit

YES.  The case of the dead prosecutor is linked to Hanjo as Director Park admitted to trying to recruit him, even witnessing first hand about Prosecutor Park's drinking habit.  Omitting his alcohol level in the report could actually be coming from the prosecutor.  Was his death in 2017 as well?  I don't remember.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:52 AM, pompyavi said:

The prosecutor who was in charge that time investigated the bribery charge but he didn't investigate the briber's claim that the Sergeant might have been killed. Why ? I mean even though they couldn't have find evidence, but they didn't investigate as well or else that should have been mentioned in the case report. 

Prosecutor at the time CHOSE to pursue the bribery case over homicide case.  It's another example of selectively suppressing evidence.  I think if they were to investigate the death as a murder, it would bring to light the station's failure (and Choi Bit's leadership) to notice and report abuses between its officers.  The question I have is what did Choi Bit offered to the prosecutor in exchange for this silence.

On 8/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, eternal dream said:

"It was a suicide but it's a homicide" so Sergeant Song did commit suicide but the team saw it as an opportunity and killed him? Yeojin is a smart person. She can see right through just one meeting.

What do people think Yeo Jin means when she said "It was a suicide but it's a homicide".  @chickfactor can you help with the translation?  At this point without knowing anything more about St Song's case, did Yeo Jin mean she thinks he committed suicide due to depression, but that it was driven by the officers' bullying and that they also have a hand in his death?

I am one who also like the car scene between ShiMok and Yeon-Jae @pompyavi explained it well.  Very short scene, the editing at the end was a little abrupt, I think one or two seconds longer on Shi Mok would have been better IMO.  Shi Mok reminded Yeon Jae that her husband changed for her father and Hanjo because of his love for her.  Yeon Jae still can't reconcile LCJ's actions and ending as something he brought onto himself by choice.

I also can't tell if Woo Tae Ha is sly or he is just faking his intelligence!!! :lol:  I mean every single time Choi Moo Sung pauses, shifts his eyes and posture, ahemmm when people attack him... I laughed!  Do you guys think he can be the corrupted prosecutor or one just pivoting his way up the prosecution ladder.  His mannerism, his interactions with his team is downright not intimidating at all!  I can't see him as a leader. LOL

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

What do people think Yeo Jin means when she said "It was a suicide but it's a homicide".  @chickfactor can you help with the translation?  At this point without knowing anything more about St Song's case, did Yeo Jin mean she thinks he committed suicide due to depression, but that it was driven by the officers' bullying and that they also have a hand in his death?

The translation was exactly what she said: "It was a suicide but it's a homicide."

I'm assuming what she means is "It was ruled a homicide, but it's actually a homicide." But I think your theory could be correct - that they deliberately bullied him until he committed suicide.

Personally, I'm not sure why she came to the conclusion that quickly, after just one conversation with that officer. It seemed to only prove that the other officers bullied him. Is that enough for her to be sure that they killed him? Or was there another clue that we didn't pick up on?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, nona88 said:

P.s. even if YJ  choice  to silence  for a little  I wouldn't be mad since I know it will never be long for her to throw away everything  and only search for the true. And I know that SM  will support  any choice she will make since his trust  unlimited.

Yes to this too! I have faith in them!

On a side note, how do you guys think our SM-YJ relationship will progress in S2? I know it is unlikely to progress into any overt romance e.g. kiss/hand holding! During their S2 interviews, they kept emphasizing that YJ to SM is a best partner, soulmate, the only one who can read him etc.

@bedifferent

yes! I feel the same about WTH! He doesnt seem to give me charismatic leader vibes like LCJ. 

• Like 4
  • Wiggle 1

55 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I personally think Season 2 is as complex and well written as season 1 in term of character development and story telling.  The main conflict between police and prosecutors are just jumping points where we get diverging and converging stories to illustrate different viewpoints and arguments for both sides.  It's brilliant really, considering how many parallel yet at the same time interweaving relationships we have already get introduced in only 4 episodes.  

I am with you on this. Even while watching S1, I admit I was hooked because of the who dunnit aura, but after finishing and rewatching it again i realized it was not only about who did it? But why? If we look at S1's main caption - "Everyone is a suspect with a motive" and by the end of the series it apt because we ended up doubting everyone including Shimok (ok I did doubt him too).

Looking at S2's theme - "Everyone is accomplice who wants silence" imo hints that everyone is hiding something and it is all connected. 

Also many of the fans in my region are upset that S2 is not same as S1, how S1 started with a bang and all. Personally i would have not liked the same direction and it would be boring, I would have felt like "oh the same thing happened in S1 as well". S1 followed the bottom up approach and S2 is following top down approach. 

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

What do people think Yeo Jin means when she said "It was a suicide but it's a homicide". 

Is it possible that the Sergeant really tried to commit suicide? (But again that posture and the place doesn't make sense to me) Okay let's suppose he tried to commit suicide but to do that he needs to pull the rope himself. And once you feel choked, your body unconsciously will stand up or try to breathe. Also if you faint while pulling the rope, you aren't dead. May be the other police officers seeing this opportunity killed him

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, chickfactor said:

Personally, I'm not sure why she came to the conclusion that quickly, after just one conversation with that officer. It seemed to only prove that the other officers bullied him. Is that enough for her to be sure that they killed him? Or was there another clue that we didn't pick up on?

Yeah, I think she hasn't worked out the homicide angle from Shi Mok's POV yet.  The other thing she uncovered was Song died in early morning with the abusers as the only witnesses.  IMO, she suspected he was driven to suicide by his abusers, not taken his own life on his own initiation.

Yeo Jin needs to understand why the prosecutor did not pursue Sgt Song's death as a possible homicide so she will need Shi Mok's help.  SM, on the other hand, have already asked Yeo Jin to help him get infos on the ex police officers.  They'll eventually meet to solve this case.

@Gummi Shi Mok could be the NPA's legal advisor! On a personal level, Yeo Jin and Shi Mok should cosplay at those comic-cons. :lol:

30 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Is it possible that the Sergeant really tried to commit suicide? (But again that posture and the place doesn't make sense to me) Okay let's suppose he tried to commit suicide but to do that he needs to pull the rope himself. And once you feel choked, your body unconsciously will stand up or try to breathe. Also if you faint while pulling the rope, you aren't dead. May be the other police officers seeing this opportunity killed him

I think he was moved. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, chickfactor said:

The translation was exactly what she said: "It was a suicide but it's a homicide."

I'm assuming what she means is "It was ruled a homicide, but it's actually a homicide." But I think your theory could be correct - that they deliberately bullied him until he committed suicide.

I also think she meas that it was ruled as a suicide but it is a homicide in reality. She discovered all this quickly because she find out about the bulling but I think she read the case. Even Shi Mok suspects that it is a homicide but he is not saying anything until there are more evidence.

Even for me, it is clear that it is not a suicide. Yes, he must have been frustrated and even depressed but Sgt. Song was the man who never kept silence about his problems. Even after he was was bullied he went to complain. Nobody in this departement took his side but I think he is not the type to give up easilly. And there are other evidence. He was investigating his colleagues and they were guilty as it was found out later. Plus his wounds, the way he chose to suicide.

I thought that he was beaten and I thought he was put in that suicide position by Baek Jung-Gi. What if Sgt. Song scratched Baek` hand when he wanted to release himself from the grip. It looks like defensive wounds. They had to perform an autopsy because it was a suspisious death. And everyone repeats like a leitmotif that he committed suicide because of his depression became a broken record. Yeah... convince themselves that was the case. It was easy for their conscience? 

I read the real life case with that cop. It is possible that the writer took that case as an insiration. Reading the case, it is so autrageous that the police did not make a serious investigation about that case. There are so many questions and the motive of suicide seams so false. I am so sorry that poor man did not have a corect investigation. Same with Sgt Song. At least he will have a chance that Shi Mok and Yeo Jin will discover the truth.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, bedifferent said:

I think he was moved. 

Possible. May be, he was killed earlier (remember the bruise on his chest) and someone put him in that position. Also, autopsy was not done, so we do not know whether those bruises appear after or before his death

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Gummi said:

Yes to this too! I have faith in them!

On a side note, how do you guys think our SM-YJ relationship will progress in S2? I know it is unlikely to progress into any overt romance e.g. kiss/hand holding! During their S2 interviews, they kept emphasizing that YJ to SM is a best partner, soulmate, the only one who can read him etc.

I think they going to progress  as you said  even normal romance  is out of question  and sure not rom-com romance :joy:

And this writer  not with obvious  romance he more with the unwritten and unspoken  trust and feeling progress , I think the hint in ep 2 of SM  looking at the family and couples when he was in the car had another meaning  then just showing his lonely

but I am not making my hope high  for spoken  romance  but I know there may be unspoken  one 

And yeh I watched that interview  saying that they best partner  and more but one sentence  had more impact  on me when the actor of SM said : to SM, Yj is a character  who give him a whole new worldview :heart: 

To hear it from him mean a lot of how much YJ  is to SM even in the writing story and in the understand  of the character  so we wasn't overacting when we were saying that for the past 3 years 

So yes I have hope

1 hour ago, pompyavi said:

Possible. May be, he was killed earlier (remember the bruise on his chest) and someone put him in that position. Also, autopsy was not done, so we do not know whether those bruises appear after or before his death

Yes there a big chance that happen 

@larus@bedifferent@pompyavi

Maybe we will hear and see more of what Yj saw and know in ep 5 to be sure 

But  I agree with all what you said, no matter  what she mean, if she think he really made suicide  but for her it murder  since being builed  to point  to make a suicide  it also a crime and indirect  murder  

And even if she was sure that he was killed it okay she smart she connected  the clues the fact that he was found when no one was around  beside  the people  who was bullied  him , the fact that was no further  investigation, and the fact with the clues  in his body that they ignored  and the most important  fact that she understand  that why SM  will investigate  that if they don't  think  it a suicide  

So she smart enough  from all that to have  that conclusion but as I said we maybe see more flashback  in ep 5 about what she found out before that phone call 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, pompyavi said:

May be, he was killed earlier (remember the bruise on his chest) and someone put him in that position. Also, autopsy was not done, so we do not know whether those bruises appear after or before his death

Either he was killed from the beaten and then put on suicide poisition or he was forced to "suicide". They should made an autopsy.

I think the first one who will say something about what happened/ will make a confession is the cop who was  reserved when they staged the "suicide" discovery. I can`t believe it how some of them cried like they cared.

• Like 7