[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

0ly40

Another solid season that I binge-watched in two days. I would have really like to have known what exactly is the truth behind the Segok suicide case though.

In all of these corrupt prosecutors and police officers, it’s good to see that not all of the people who make up the “so-called”justice system has lost their integrity. Shi-Mok and Yeo Jin continue to stand up for the integrity of their profession. I don’t necessarily think it’s “human” to do corrupt things though I know that there are powerful people or bold people who do these things. I honestly think most people are deterred from corruption because of the threat of prison, fines and other devastating consequences. Of course, it’s probably different for prosecutors and police because of the system that enables them to get away with these things and allows this problem to fester with the support of their equally corrupt top officials. I did hear a constitutional lawyer on a talk radio show say that there’s nothing more dangerous than a corrupt or “rogue” prosecutor because they have the power to destroy a person’s life. I suppose this is truthfully portrayed in this show. 

Well, I hope there’s a season 3 soon although I suppose nothing about their justice system will change. I guess the thrill of watching this show for me really lies in unearthing the truth behind a complex web of conspiracy.

• Like 3

Team Dramabeans: What we’re watching

by DB Staff

stroopwafel

Forest of Secrets 2: I don’t have too much to say, other than that I loved the second season. It was so well done, and it felt like Forest of Secrets but it didn’t feel derivative of the first season, it felt like an expanded, messier look at the world. The last two episodes were so beautifully done, and that Shi-mok smile is almost enough to tide me over until next season. (Please let there be another season!)

SailorJumun

Forest of Secrets 2: The last two episodes of this were So. Good. Thrilling, surprising, and satisfying. Still, overall, I didn’t enjoy this season as much as the first. I feel that way about most drama sequels, and sequels in general, so eh, it is what it is. I’m just happy the show ended on a good note. (AKA That smile!!)

https://www.dramabeans.com/2020/10/team-dramabeans-what-were-watching-229/

Yes, another season, please!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was REALLY looking forward to this second season since I LOVED the first.  Just watched it again and blown away by how excellent it was.

Realizing it is very hard to live up to such a season I still hoped the second would be a lot better than it turned out to be.  It was confusing (proven by how often they did recaps to try and remind people of all the long and boring conversations that took place?)  And so many things just didnt make much sense.  Hanjo?? Really?? they could have dropped it all together or used some other corrupt corporate company to move the plot along.

Way too Little of the characters we loved season one and way too much of unlikable corrupt heads of police & prosecution.  It was just a muddle and probably shows a Netflix taint.  

Sorry if you liked it, but it was a major disappointment to this viewer.

• Sad 1

It took me a while due to work and life but I wanted to drop these off.

Excellent Review of E15-16 (Final) over at DramaOverFlowers

It’s a tense and emotional finale week, as everything finally comes together, and Shi-mok and Yeo-jin are forced to directly face the ugliness they’ve uncovered–and which has been hidden close by all this time...

https://dramasoverflowers.net/2020/10/04/stranger-2-episodes-15-16-review/

================

[Naver TV] 'Stranger' Season 2 Episode 16 (Finale) Comments and Reaction

"Again, with the mindset to continue on" Cho Seungwoo X Bae Doona X Lee Joonhyuk, firmly carrying on their own paths!

1. [+3343][-6] No but who said our Dongjae couldn't be a prosecutor because of his trauma. Our redeemed cat is an attention seeker so he's enjoying the feeling of being a celebrity right now 

2. [+3133][-15] Recruiting teammates to wait for season 3 (1/10394828181)

3. [+2191][-9] The finale was season 3's trailer... you really can't not write for season 3 writer-nim, the fans will be left dry 

4. [+1829][-8] Wouldn't it be weirder if there wasn't a season 3? Whatever Dongjae says would be really important 

5. [+1709][-4] Don't you think Dongjae seems fishy at the end..? Dongjae-ya, please lets not work for Lee Yeonjae. You promised with Chang-knight ㅠㅠ (T/N: reference to the Dark Knight) 

Spoiler

"It's just Seo Dongjae that's left" Yoon Seah's mysterious words as she's visiting Lee Joonhyuk at the hospital (shudder) 

1. [+1557][-8] Seo Dongjae will suddenly open his eyes and say 'Ah! You remembered our dinner haha I actually woke up earlier and have been waiting, I've booked a table at a really nice restaurant ^^?? Salute'

2. [+1048][-3] Lee Changjoon said that one meal together is the starting point. Season 3 will start with a scene of Yeonjae and Dongjae having a meal together. As Simok is in the suburbs, he'll come up saying, 'ah not these people' and Yeojin, who's gotten a promotion, will greet him 

3. [+904][-6] I thought Lee Yeonjae would change after Lee Changjoon's death but it probably wasn't that... if anything, she was more than Lee Yoonbeom, not less. 

4. [+760][-5] What did they interpret Kang Wonchul's fact attack as 

5. [+661][-9] Stay alive to reveal everything. You're the only one left so stay alive and uncover the truth. 

1. [+818][-10] Different to Lee Changjoon.. they stayed alive to take responsibility I'm literally crying because of Choi Bit.. Jeon Hyejin is so good at acting.. 

2. [+712][-4] Simok and Choi Bit protecting Yeojin... Choi Bit was a pretty good superior... 

3. [+556][-3] That's why Doonabae said that she was obsessed with Choi Bit's character somewhere. If Yeojin cared for them, they're a real one. Choi Shiny (T/N: 'Bit' translates to light in Korean), thank you. 

4. [+523][-1] Choi Bit wanted to remain as a human, rather than a monster. I don't think Woo Taeha will be able to get a grip. 

5. [+416][-1] Han Senior Inspector cares for people a lot but doesn't do so for anyone and everyone, is he crazy... 

Behind the scene translations (E13-16). Jang Gun  wanted to continue until Season 20 :lol:

Even in troubles that seem like a heavy fog.

Not compromising in reality.

To everyone who silently and steadily moving forward.

We, Stranger 2, will always support you.

A sincere thank you to everyone for loving and supporting Stranger 2 thus far.

Spoiler

I loved and enjoyed every moment reading and conversing with everyone in this thread.  Thank you so much for sharing my love for FoS @pompyavi@nrllee @larus @Gummi @farawayland @nona88 @taeunfighting @penelop3and everyone whom I forgot to mention.

Stranger was the original title Lee So Yeon gave to Forest of Secret, referring to Shi Mok, Yeo Jin, and those individuals who brave the tide as outcasts to relentlessly pursue justice.  This season was about the will to remain true to themselves and persevere their ideals for the good of society.  In the end, the reality is neither ShiMok nor YeoJin are hailed and treated as heroes.  Instead, they are viewed as traitors, whistleblowers, by their own profession.  They were silenced and transferred.  But they persist because we need them to and they chose to continue for they know their efforts make a difference.  This season was as much about Shi Mok and Yeojin's maturity, perseverance and unwavering friendship as it is about fighting for the small victories to keep hope alive.  It's why I love season 2 and writer Lee's decision to spotlight the importance of doing so.  

In his latest interview, PD Park Hyun Suk praised CSW and BDN for seamlessly picked up season 2 right from where Season 1 ended.  He also thanked them for their deep understanding of the script as well their amazing acting while maintaining the warm set atmosphere for the rest of the cast.  He was glad that FoS2 broke the sophomore jinx though he understood some viewers' disappointment in lack of tension and direction as this season didn't revolve around a murder case. He acknowledged the difficulties posed by COVID-19.   Several location filming were canceled and the schedule was delayed as COVID hit immediately when they started filming. He regretted that he has to abandon many locations because of the unexpected situation.  As for the ending, PD Park mentioned that Seo Dong Jae has always teetered at the border between good and bad so it seems fitting that the writer chose to end with viewers wondering if he has reformed or regressed back to his old self.

As for me, I'll continue to watch out for her work as well as all the cast's future projects.  I love how sophisticated and realistic she writes her dramas.  I hope the writer takes her time for season 3 - this series is too dear for me to mess up.

Good bye to our cast.  Take care everyone.  See you in another great drama thread. Perhaps Signal 2? I am watching Start Up and so far so good. :hooray2:

Spoiler

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.12 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.23 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.51.50 PM

50500585017_54be32a795_b.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.52.21 PMScreen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.52.28 PM

Spoiler

• Like 3
  • Love 5

30 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

As for me, I'll continue to watch out for her work as well as all the cast's future projects.  I love how sophisticated and realistic she writes her dramas.  I hope the writer takes her time for season 3 - this series is too dear for me to mess up.

Thank you @bedifferent.  These are some of the translation from Lee Soo Yeon's interview of S1:

Credit to the owner. 

On the question about why Shimok is made as someone who cannot process emotions she said there are two reasons: 1. A person who doesn't want anything can't be tempted and swayed. 2. She wanted to show a character who does his job without any personal reason and take full responsibility until the end. 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

I co sign this. Let`s all meet again at Lee Soo Yeon`s writer-nim next work. Perhaps it will be the third season for Forest of Secrets/Stranger.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

On the question about why Shimok is made as someone who cannot process emotions she said there are two reasons: 1. A person who doesn't want anything can't be tempted and swayed. 2. She wanted to show a character who does his job without any personal reason and take full responsibility until the end. 

I understand why she chose the main protagonist a person who can`t process emotions. Yes, it is true that making him this way, he gained 100% dedication to the cause (the justice) and he is a person who can`t be corrupted. Shi Mok is like a cartoon hero who has super powers but in the same time he is extremely lonely. I am glad that he has a partner who is compleatly opposite but have the same goal, to fight for justice.

Shi Mok is weird for the others, he is like an alien among them but we can`t help to cheer for him. We all need someone like Shi Mok who can`t be tempted or defeat by failures. There are a lot of good people, people who were defeated by corruption, by the system and gave up. It is not easy to feel like you can`t win no matter what.

I liked the message of this drama, and how realistic it was. Small victories are important because they keep the hope alive. Without hope, the good is defeated against the wrong/evil even before the fight has started.

I personally loved season 2 as much as I loved season 1. I did not feel disappointed one minute.

• Like 3
  • Love 2

In a drama slump after Stranger2 :lol:.  Tried other dramas but just couldn’t get motivated to keep watching.  And of course real life started to pick up in intensity and busyness so decided to just wait it out till I get the bug again.  Thanks all for making it an enjoyable watch.  I still can’t believe we were trolled about the message on the note.  Doing the dishes will never quite be the same again :lol:.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

“Forest Of Secrets 2” PD Dishes On Possibility Of Season 3, Bae Doona And Cho Seung Woo’s Chemistry, And More

380f0c714e0f4475a9496e2555bd53a3.jpeg?s=

Oct 18, 2020
by E. Cha

After the recent conclusion of the second season of tvN’s “Forest of Secrets,” “Forest of Secrets 2” producing director (PD) Park Hyun Suk sat down for an interview to talk about his experience filming the hit drama!

“Forest of Secrets” (also known as “Stranger”) is a drama about an emotionless prosecutor (played by Cho Seung Woo) and a warm-hearted police officer (played by Bae Doona) who join forces to uncover corruption and solve hidden mysteries.

While the first season—which aired in 2017—was directed by Ahn Gil Mo, PD Park Hyun Suk took over for the highly-anticipated second season this year. The director remarked, “Despite my shortcomings, I think that I was able to smoothly connect Season 1 and Season 2, so I’m a bit relieved. I’m endlessly grateful to the viewers who enjoyed the drama and accepted its sincerity.”

Park-Hyun-Suk.jpg

Early on in its run, “Forest of Secret 2” received mixed reactions from viewers, with some praising the differences from Season 1 and others expressing disappointment at the changes in the drama.

“I myself was a fan of Season 1 of ‘Forest of Secrets,’ so I expected that kind of [mixed response],” revealed Park Hyun Suk. “I did set aside my own individual directing style from the very beginning, but I think that I was still lacking in many ways.”

“I actually wanted [Season 2] to be more like Season 1, and I was regretful that they could not be more alike because time had passed and things had changed,” he continued. “The writer also had new issues and different subject matter in mind while working on Season 2, so I think those kinds of changes were very natural. The message of the story was already fully formed in the script by the writer, so my goal as a director was simply to portray that message unmarred.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1432357wpp/forest-of-secrets-2-pd-dishes-on-possibility-of-season-3-bae-doona-and-cho-seung-woos-chemistry-and-more

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Lee Joon Hyuk Talks About His Character In “Forest Of Secrets,” Delivering Long Lines, Wanting To Be A Director, And More

9ce308eb31f246d09a96b8647909a378.jpeg?s=

Oct 23, 2020
by C. Hong

Actor Lee Joon Hyuk recently participated in a pictorial for the magazine GQ.

In the accompanying interview, he talked about his character in the “Forest of Secrets” series, the long lines that his character required, his past dream of becoming a director, and more.

About a possible third season of “Forest of Secrets,” he said, “I don’t know if we’ll be able to do that. A lot of things have to happen in order for a third season to be made.”

He continued, “I try to change my voice a little for each role, but Seo Dong Jae is something like the proverb ’empty vessels make the loudest noise.’ There are people like that in real life, right? They’re loud but they don’t have a lot to say. It’s not like you get more confident just because you talk loud. Dong Jae has a lot of useless pride, but in the first season he had true confidence. As things went badly for him in the second half, he lost a lot of that confidence in the second season and became a shallower person.”

LEE-JOON-HYUK-.jpg

The interviewer brought up the fact that Lee Joon Hyuk had once said that he had wanted to do long lines like his senior actors. In “Forest of Secrets 2,” his character has a monologue for eight minutes and 30 seconds. “I didn’t want it to be like that,” he said, laughing. “If I say a line like that in my normal voice, it would probably take me 20 minutes. I spoke really fast, but it still took eight minutes and 30 seconds. If I were to speak it normally, I would’ve been on that scene until the drama ended. I bet that if drama teachers assigned that line for homework, I’d get cursed out by the students.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1433258wpp/lee-joon-hyuk-talks-about-his-character-in-forest-of-secrets-delivering-long-lines-wanting-to-be-a-director-and-more

• Like 3

Hello, everyone ☺️

Forgive my barging in, but could someone help me to find the official thread covering season 1 which I currently watch? Google directs me to a closed thread but there are no archived posts.

I would love to read up theories and BTS bits. We who watch great dramas late usually miss those gems. 

(I cover my eyes in this thread for fear of spoilers.) 

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/1/2020 at 7:45 AM, sorg said:

Hello, everyone ☺️

Forgive my barging in, but could someone help me to find the official thread covering season 1 which I currently watch? Google directs me to a closed thread but there are no archived posts.

I would love to read up theories and BTS bits. We who watch great dramas late usually miss those gems. 

(I cover my eyes in this thread for fear of spoilers.) 

Thank you!

Hello, sorry for the very late reply. The season 1 archived thread was missing for a while but it is now available again. The admins have recently fixed a bug which affects old and archived threads. :) 

• 2 months later...

I had fun seeing CSW play the opposite of HSM in Sisyphus, but it made me terribly miss our favourite duo. Does anyone remember how many years was it in S2 post LCJ's death? How long should the time gap be for a logical parole for Mr Yoon?

• 10 months later...
On 10/18/2020 at 4:43 PM, larus said:

“Forest Of Secrets 2” PD Dishes On Possibility Of Season 3, Bae Doona And Cho Seung Woo’s Chemistry, And More

Oct 18, 2020
by E. Cha

After the recent conclusion of the second season of tvN’s “Forest of Secrets,” “Forest of Secrets 2” producing director (PD) Park Hyun Suk sat down for an interview to talk about his experience filming the hit drama!

“Forest of Secrets” (also known as “Stranger”) is a drama about an emotionless prosecutor (played by Cho Seung Woo) and a warm-hearted police officer (played by Bae Doona) who join forces to uncover corruption and solve hidden mysteries.

While the first season—which aired in 2017—was directed by Ahn Gil Mo, PD Park Hyun Suk took over for the highly-anticipated second season this year. The director remarked, “Despite my shortcomings, I think that I was able to smoothly connect Season 1 and Season 2, so I’m a bit relieved. I’m endlessly grateful to the viewers who enjoyed the drama and accepted its sincerity.”

Early on in its run, “Forest of Secret 2” received mixed reactions from viewers, with some praising the differences from Season 1 and others expressing disappointment at the changes in the drama.

“I myself was a fan of Season 1 of ‘Forest of Secrets,’ so I expected that kind of [mixed response],” revealed Park Hyun Suk. “I did set aside my own individual directing style from the very beginning, but I think that I was still lacking in many ways.”

“I actually wanted [Season 2] to be more like Season 1, and I was regretful that they could not be more alike because time had passed and things had changed,” he continued. “The writer also had new issues and different subject matter in mind while working on Season 2, so I think those kinds of changes were very natural. The message of the story was already fully formed in the script by the writer, so my goal as a director was simply to portray that message unmarred.”

more https://www.soompi.com/article/1432357wpp/forest-of-secrets-2-pd-dishes-on-possibility-of-season-3-bae-doona-and-cho-seung-woos-chemistry-and-more

Does anyone know if there will be a third season? I enjoyed both seasons, and would love to see the two main characters together again. 

Edited by ferily
Please don’t quote images. Thanks!

11 hours ago, ndnsinger said:

Does anyone know if there will be a third season? I enjoyed both seasons, and would love to see the two main characters together again. 

I would love to see a third season. Shi Mok and Yeo Jin team can have as many cases they want to solve. So far, I did not hear any news about another season. But I want to see another work of Lee Soo Yeon so whatever is Stranger/ Forest of Secrets series or another drama I will be fine.  I will looking forward to Grid and let see what she will write next. Who knows ... maybe the third season is not far away.