[Drama 2020] Forest of Secrets Season 2, 비밀의 숲 2

0ly40

I don’t really understand why Woo wants to cover up the dead prosecutor’s death... just coz he was an old mentor who was good to Woo, you wouldn’t cover up just coz you want to protect his reputation? Plus he was murdered so why won’t you seek justice for him and let his murderer run loose? And it’s more baffling why ChoiBit would even help to bury the truth too?!! What’s going on? 

I hate to say this but I must admit I am not happy that the show is throwing too many ridiculous red herrings- the suicide of the poor depressed policeman(one big turnabout circle there!!!!!), the bully boy(looking at the trailer, they r bringing him back for next week’s episode?), and even the idiot witness guy who just did it for money?!! Omg- they wasted so many episodes (raised all my hopes and played with my emotions) and we still haven’t found SeoDJ! Looks like he won’t be found til the very end at this rate.  

• Like 6

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

Oh was so good here.  He didn't fully trust Park so he mouthed silently the word Hanjo to make sure nothing implicated him in case there is a recording of their meeting

I thought Director Park, purposely revealed the documents so that OJS can hand it over to KWC in order to keep him busy.

5 hours ago, bedifferent said:

This gift of her comes from patience and compassion

Loved your points here. Yes she definitely is the most compassionate character in SF. I love how all the characters are developed yet they are the same. HYJ, though she has changed a little but still she hasn't abandoned her principles. She was the only one who left the council to help Shimok whereas the colleagues with whom Shimok came didn't choose to even ask how is he feeling. They simply left. On the other hand HYJ, who is supposed to be a rival runs to help him. No wonder Woo and CB thinks something is going on between them. Shimok is still the same but he has also developed. From don't give me gifts to Dont you draw anymore?. From not caring to asking help from KWC.

It's great that they can rely on each other amidst all these chaos. I definitely feel Woo and CB go way back with each other. It's not just the PGS case that ties them up. The way they behave it reminds me of our duo. Him bringing a coffee, taking the empty cup from her. Their conversation was just like our duo where they fight infront of others but share everything with each other. It will be interesting to see how CB landed in this mess with Hanjo. I don't think it's just to help Woo, she also has a personal stake in all these

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

Okay, so finally got to see SM smile, finally. Unknown to him, he is stressed about SDJ's kidnapping. 

Talking about SDJ's kidnapping, I don't know why, but I am really suspicious of his wife. I mean, not sure whether she is actively involved in the kidnapping or not, but she looks to be fishy. The way she was asking YJ about the witness and saying those who deny are usually the actual culprits, to me sounded like she was worried about Police force accepting the Segok Station captain's denials. We still don't know who she spoke to as soon as Jang Gun left her house, we see him asking to check with whom she is talking, but we don't get to see the results. I am also suspicious of the female prosecutor who was SDJ's junior, we see SM also being suspicious of her. Both these ladies have been looking suspicious to me since the kidnapping happened. 

Frankly, with every episode passing, I become more sure about SDJ not being alive. Even the kidnappers were checking whether he was alive or not. The unanswered question is still why is SDJ kidnapped? No demands from the kidnappers, then why was he kidnapped? I am actually feeling like the big search happening in the trailer as shared by someone here, will be for his body. 

Can't really say who planted the fake witness, would place my bet on WTH, but I don't think we'll get to see it being revealed. Although it looked like SM already developed doubts about either one of the prosecutor from his team being involved, so we might get to see it, not really sure about it. There is too much to be revealed with only 4 hours left, which makes me wonder, are we going to wait for another season? 

Coming back to WTH and Choi Bit, both of them seem like back stabber if it comes to the investigative rights, but WTH seems to be more capable of doing it. Their relationship goes way back than PGS's case, the way they talk is very much casual and makes me wonder how many cases have they buried together? Of course PGS's case would be the highest Profile case they buried and are involved, so they are worried about it being investigated. 

Jang Gun was right about something, and it was in the council meeting, they are fighting just like assemblymen fight. The Police want the investigative rights for themselves, which frankly would be too much power for them and will be more misused by them than Prosecution have misused it. We would see more coercive investigations, unneeded property searches and many more in the name of investigation and catching the criminal. But the prosecution is the one who forbids them from that happening. Of course prosecution having it has made them sort of protected from police investigations and also gives them an upper hand on police which they have been misusing for certain people, the warrants not being approved and many similar things, but still police having same rights would be worse. But as Jang Gun pointed out, and even SM had in his report, was that the meeting is not for them to fight who needs to have it, it is to come up with a plan to resolve the current issues and bring reform to it in such a way that both prosecution and police become more efficient with the investigations. 

Coming back to SDJ and YJ, I really liked how she was two hearted about leaving after SM or staying in the meeting and we suddenly her leaving and assisting him. No wonder Choi Bit and WTH are a bit suspicious of their relationship. They are close, an important members of the council meeting, but they are not beneficial for their parties if they continue to share info, which they have been doing. It is good to see SM is making YJ realize that she is changing. I see her very much influenced by Choi Bit. Like when she admitted that "everything wouldn't be okay if the police gained investigative rights" to which SM asks why didn't she say it in the meeting and we see her replying "Some things are meant to be said later". I liked how SM told her that she was not the one who would postpone things, and she realizing it. The conversation like many others have shown that YJ has learnt the diplomacy which she lacked before. Back then she would stand against her organization when it was needed, but right now, she decided to stay silent for the sake of her organization. It would be good to see how she'll cope up with it, she is constantly being reminded about changing but SM, but in a subtle way, he does not taunt her or say it sarcastically, he just says it and she realizes it. 

Looking forward to next week's episode. Was interesting to see Choi Bit and WTH meeting LYJ instead of Oh Joo Sun, and Oh Joo Sun giving the docs to KWC in order to keep him busy with it and also target LSJ. Would be interesting to see how KWC will use it. 

• Like 10
  • Love 1

I know this writer  have the unspoken scenes more then spoken  one but after getting  to ep 12 and YJ  still struggled  and show how much she suffered  and changed  in the past 2 years make wonder if their a hidden  story that was in the head of the writer  ??? 

I have a good idea how much she suffered  in the political world of her new work, when she deal with lies and papers  more then dealing with human  and victims and having a team that dont  even try to hide how much they dont like her  was for sure not  a health place for her for that long  

But since I though she will have a more early   wake up and we get to ep 12 and she start only  to breath but still suffering and fighting  her own believe till now , I most asked  did something   big we dont know really happened  in those 2 years for her to talk and feel  like this????  (from her talk to SM  in the rooftop scene  we can understand she lost her believe  of changing things, that her bigger struggle here , since she still have her justice sense and desire to help others, it just she lost the trust in herself that she can change a lot )   

I don't know, but  if they didn't  show so much by the end of the this drama I really need that writing  script  , it the first while watching drama I feel like their more writing then it showing and that feeling  getting  bigger  since I know this writer  , write her drama like a book story no way things happen  in that size without  good reasons 

Are they already  plan season 3 or movie  or special  episode  ??? They so calm  with only 4 episodes  to go 

Edited by nona88
  • Like 6

Okay finally caught up.  I think the late night meeting between CB and WTH revealed why WTH wanted a quiet and quick resolution to PGS.  

Spoiler

73-A216-B3-8017-4-EA2-A403-DB2-ED0-F80-B

849-CFD59-A690-4037-A425-DEFD116-E6875.j

9059892-C-CE29-437-C-9-A84-5-F5-CD8-C569

30-A6746-B-3592-46-F1-8727-8-D70-C6-BBF9

E7-F383-AB-005-D-4317-9-DA3-5595570-CE8-

14-E1-F156-B468-4-AE9-8-FAA-A3468-DF7-E9

WTH didn’t want the fact that PGS was in bed with conglomerates (Hanjo) because that would bring the whole Prosecution into disrepute with the public.  So the whole Prosecution covered up the real story behind his death (the fact that he was likely to have been having a drink with Hanjo reps - Dir Park - thereby linking him with the conglomerates).  WTH enlisted the help of CB back then to help him.   Stayed silent so they could protect the Prosecution’s reputation before the public.  Someone died though?  Taking one for the team? <_<  That would explain all the shiftiness with the staff at UiJeongBu when SM was questioning them about PGS. They were all in on it covering it up.

Same thing in the SeGok case, except it’s the Police this time.  Sure they took bribes for a “good cause”.  But again, someone died?  Hiding the bullying so the Song investigation would be buried and therefore none of the bribe taking would be dug up.  And I don’t understand Baek.  How could he live with his conscience?  Saying that he should’ve stopped them from taking bribes?  Err...what about the bullying?  <_<  Surely that was far worse?

The green lighter used to light up DJ’s room...I think someone mentioned CB had one.  So did WTH.  Thing is though, when WTH and KSH went out for a smoke at that fancy Japanese restaurant (in Ep3) where DJ was and then SM, neither men had a lighter on them.  Then WTH asks KSH if he thought they would have one at the reception.  So did they pick up a green lighter at reception?  Both he and KSH?  And potentially DJ too?  Whoever it was that prodded him was obviously alarmed that he seemed “dead”.  I am still holding out hope that DJ would turn up alive.   :blink:

Why do I get the feeling that WTH enlisted the help of hooligans (like he did the witness) to kidnap DJ.  He didn’t intend for him to get hurt too badly.  He May have even cajoled DJ into a deal saying that if he went along with it, he will get a cushy job in Seoul afterwards?  But things went horribly wrong because the hooligans he employed had violent tendencies... pure speculation.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, nrllee said:

WTH didn’t want the fact that PGS was in bed with conglomerates (Hanjo) because that would bring the whole Prosecution into disrepute with the public.  So the whole Prosecution covered up the real story behind his death (the fact that he was likely to have been having a drink with Hanjo reps - Dir Park - thereby linking him with the conglomerates).  WTH enlisted the help of CB back then to help him.   Stayed silent so they could protect the Prosecution’s reputation before the public.  Someone died though?  Taking one for the team? 

Why would CB help him in that? This wasn't the first time they would have covered something. CB should have grabbed that opportunity to defame prosecution. Why would she be on board? And more importantly why that lousy way of covering up? WTH and CB are police and prosecutor, do a better job covering up. Also, i noticed that PGS sent a location to WTH. 

Edit: okay so CB might have helped as she got the IB chief position in return. That means there are more higher position people who are involved in this cover up. 

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, pompyavi said:

Why would CB help him in that?

Yeah I couldn’t work that out either?  What’s in it for her?  They seem chummy?  Outside of their work?  Enough to drink together?  They tear each other apart in the Council meetings but behind the scenes they have an “understanding”?  Even if she did get the IB Chief job.  That’s sticking your neck out for someone who’s supposed to be your “enemy”?  There has to be something more?

• Like 5

In ep 12 we saw Shi Mok eating with Yeo Jin, we saw Shi Mok smiling at Yeo Jin`s joke, we saw Yeo Jin taking care of Shi Mok when he had the severe headache.

Yeo Jin realised how stressed is Shi Mok with Dong Jae`s case. He did not even know why he had the headache. I like how she pointed out that he did not have those headaches when he was in the province.

I can`t believe Choi Bit and Woo Tae Ha gave Yeo Jin and Shi Mok so much work preparing for an useless meeting to not investigate any further. And Jang Gun`s reaction at the meeting was priceless. He said out loud that the meeting looks like an Assembly work scene that goes nowhere.

Dong Jae disappeared for so long and no new clues for the case.From the start, I had the feeling that it was not premeditated. I thought Dong Jae found something and the agresor panicked. But why keep him for so long?   I start to doubt that and I have no idea what the kidnaper wants. If the kidnaper did not kill Dong Jae after so many days, maybe that person really wants Shi Mok/ prosecutors to find something that was cover up or he was used as a decoy? If Woo Tae ha had the idea to use that fake witness, he is patethic. If that fake witness was greedy and stupid to do what he did it is one thing but if anyone from the law forces did it to mislead the investigation, deserves to be in jail.

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

WTH didn’t want the fact that PGS was in bed with conglomerates (Hanjo) because that would bring the whole Prosecution into disrepute with the public.  So the whole Prosecution covered up the real story behind his death (the fact that he was likely to have been having a drink with Hanjo reps - Dir Park - thereby linking him with the conglomerates).  WTH enlisted the help of CB back then to help him.   Stayed silent so they could protect the Prosecution’s reputation before the public.

I get why he wants to protect the reputation of the prosecutors but doing that they became susceptible to blackmail. They will do other bad things to cover up what they cover up to begin with and the circle never ends.

They care about the reputation in the public eye. But as audience it is much better to know what is wrong (to have the real image of the phenomenon) that pretend that everything is alright and know that in reality everything is rotten.  They believe that if the public finds out about negative cases the prosecutors/ police will lose their reputation. Maybe it is true but the demage is not on long term. It is better for audience to see they take mesures to make it right. Instead, covering the mistakes, apparently they solve the problem when in reality it is worst on the long term credibility. That`s why the public doesn`t trust the prosecutors. They saw many corupt cases (when they were exposed). I am sure they think just a few cases are resolved and there are many hidden secrets.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, nrllee said:

Yeah I couldn’t work that out either?  What’s in it for her?  They seem chummy?  Outside of their work?  Enough to drink together?  They tear each other apart in the Council meetings but behind the scenes they have an “understanding”?  Even if she did get the IB Chief job.  That’s sticking your neck out for someone who’s supposed to be your “enemy”?  There has to be something more?

I cant put my finger to WTH and CB's relationship. I know some of you have drawn comparisons between WTH-CB and SM-YJ. I do agree, just that they have both progressed in different ways, perhaps both doing what they thought best for their agenda vs sticking by their principles. WTH had mentioned more than once about CB shouldering things herself and I keep wondering where that came from. Though CB does show wariness about WTH whenever he appears to show 'good intentions' like meeting Lawyer Oh with her etc. We have not seen CB's husband come in the picture as well. 

I agree that the PD seems to have a disconnect between even and odd episodes. Somehow not building up the momentum from the previous ep. Like how ep 9 ended with the clock and police watch but 2 eps later we have no inkling about that. Shouldnt they investigate who would owe a watch/clock with that police amblem? I wonder if this is really due to the pandemic. I wish for the scenes on the police-prosecutor council debate, we could have seen more long shots rather than always skipping from face to face every few seconds. 

@nona88 ep 11 and 12 has been a dream! I smiled so so much in all the YJ SM scenes. Our dreams answered with them having a meal tgt, talking light heartedly together. Sm and YJ looking out for eaxh other, the staircase scene!! I realise how much ive missed them and that vibe between them. Thank you Show for finally giving us that! And SM's smile :D I could watch a full hour of SM and YJ alone. 

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

6 hours ago, Gummi said:

I cant put my finger to WTH and CB's relationship. I know some of you have drawn comparisons between WTH-CB and SM-YJ.

It baffles me too.  The WTH-CB dynamic is similar to SM-YJ but the fundamentals are different.  I feel like the WTH-CB camaraderie stems from a shared cover up.  A shared secret.  But SM-YJ it’s a shared resolve to do their job well whilst sticking to their core values.  I feel WTH is racked by guilt so his “checking up on CB” is in some way to assuage his conscience.  Like Capt Baek.  CB is just resigned to the fact that she’s been swept along by circumstances and she just has to go with the flow and keep up appearances. 

7 hours ago, pompyavi said:

When LYJ was looking at her file, it said her husband works for Hanjo or in partnership with Hanjo

O that makes sense then.  Why she was pressured to cover it up or her husband would lose his job.  As for why WTH said she “shouldered” it all, it’s because she was Chief then.  Buck stops with her.  She would be the fall guy if things go south.  She made sure all those little details were conveniently left out of the file.  Who was in charge of the case on the Prosecution side of things for PGS - was it Ryu?  Only Prosecutors are allowed to close cases.  So presumably, CB left out vital information in the file and Prosecution just closed it and said he died of natural causes leaving his reputation (and the Prosecution’s) intact.  Even if the case was reopened, Prosecutors would be able to point the finger at her (to take the fall).  She would shoulder the blame. Not their fault that there wasn’t enough evidence in the file.  They trusted the cops to carry out the investigation.

But as with all lies and deception, it never goes away.  More and more lies need to be told just to keep the original deception under wraps.  It’s unraveling now as SM-YJ ask pertinent questions.

It wasn’t wise for WTH-CB to meet up with Oh... Guess you could say they were tricked into meeting LYJ.  Still...cctv footage of them meeting up with Hanjo would be used against them.  It won’t look good.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, nrllee said:

O that makes sense then.  Why she was pressured to cover it up or her husband would lose his job.  As for why WTH said she “shouldered” it all, it’s because she was Chief then.  Buck stops with her.  She would be the fall guy if things go south.  She made sure all those little details were conveniently left out of the file.  Who was in charge of the case on the Prosecution side of things for PGS - was it Ryu?  Only Prosecutors are allowed to close cases.  

If i rmb correctly, it was SDJ's junior prosecutor, who was training at his office then. She was asked to help with the case as it seemed "simple and straightforward". 

Im suspicious of Dir Park. The way he handled the wads of cash in ep 12 was off-putting. It was as if he felt the money was filthy by the way he tossed it. Could he be related to PGS somehow? Perhaps PGS's son, brother? And the baby crying at PGS's wife house is his kid? I feel like the kid's crying just shows PGS has some family that has not been revealed or further explored. But the only one i know with young children is SDJ's wife. And CB? Could CB have visited PGS's wife with her children as well, since both husbands have links to hanjo? Thats why she was convinced PGS's wife would not spill. 

Can i say how much I love KWC? The way SM called him and got to the point by asking him if he was from the 25th class. KWC will always put him in his place by reminding him that he should introduce himself and say hello first. I have faith in him since LCJ chose him to mentor and help SM. Kim sa hyun has a bit of this vibes when he talks to SM personally. 

My perfect ending for SM YJ will be for the show to reveal that SM has still been keeping all of YJ's drawings through his numerous moves across different offices in korea, and for SM to finally address YJ as Yeojin-ssi, instead of Lt Han. :D that's all i need, Show!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, nrllee said:

Who was in charge of the case on the Prosecution side of things for PGS - was it Ryu?

No it was SDJ. He assigned it to his hoobae Jung Min Ha. The surprising thing is SDJ didn't check this details at that time/let it slide and suddenly he asks for that file again. He told, he went to PGS funeral and there through his wife he came to know regarding her making an objection about his non-drinking habit. He should have investigated that case that time itself unless he lied. He went to Namyangju road on 18th March and may have met his wife and came to know about that.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

In episode 12, LYJ's conversations with Mr Park.  Guys, we need to analyze further :lol:

When Park told LYJ that CB called to meet lawyer Oh, she directed him to meet with Oh first to buy his silence.

LYJ:  Take some cash with you. And if the cop actually wants to meet him because of his efforts and doesn't have any ulterior motive, then he'll need to know some things in order to obtain useful info from Choi Bit.  How much did I tell him?

Park:  You told him to find out the relationship between PGS and Choi Bit.

LYJ:  Then don't tell him about the vacation home.  Just tell him what he needs to know to get us key intel.

She mentioned the vacation home!  Seo Dong Jae also investigated the same area before his disappearance.  WTH confessed his first contact with PGS was when he was in Incheon. In a throwback clip, WTH got a text from PGS with a GPS location.. I googled the highway, it is near Namyangju. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 8.14.21 PM

Going back to the start of the drama, as SM drove through the foggy road in March 2019, the radio newscaster mentioned

Screen Shot 2020-09-21 at 7.29.33 PM

... the Ministry of Justice may shut down all cryptocurrency service providers

Prior to his move to the Seoul office, WTH worked as a prosecutor the Fair Trade Investigation Department.  I think this is how he was able to tip off his wife to sell her cryptocurrencies before restrictions were put in place.  We don't know exactly when he transferred out but he was working in the Supreme Prosecutor Office by July 2018 according to CP Kang.  SK continues to be a major market for virtual currency.  Scandals in the past involved politicians and conglomerates using its anonymity for questionable transactions. 

We now know PGS texted WTH to meet somewhere near Namyangju, perhaps setting up a three way meet for WTH and Hanjo.  The company is currently undergoing audits and I bet the problem with accounting started way back then.  100 billion won according to LYJ.   It wouldn't surprise me if Hanjo was moving funds into the crypto market to avoid taxes among other slush funding + .  WTH must have been asked to give them infos on the Minister of Justice's plan and help them with selling/hiding crypto.

Whatever happened after the accident, Choi Bit was asked to omit the wife's complaint on the police report.  Not sure what exactly did she do with the traffic report.  Maybe that part was done by another player... SDJ's junior prosecutor MH, either she mishandled the details by error while working on the case for SDJ or was asked to change/omit things by Choi Bit.  Would explain why she feels guilty this time around and push SM to reinvestigate it.

@pompyavi  Correct me if I am wrong.  I don't think LYJ gave lawyer Oh Hanjo Electric's financial report to keep him busy.  She said to Park we need insurance; this is to help her case with the board/stockholders against LSJ whose company is being audited.  Kang will go over the numbers with a fine tooth comb so will catch anything the auditor missed.  

BTW, Kang was in the same training class as PGS. Both rose to chiefs... where do we go from here with this info, writernim? :lol:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bedifferent said:

Correct me if I am wrong.  I don't think LYJ gave lawyer Oh Hanjo Electric's financial report to keep him busy.  She said to Park we need insurance; this is to help her case with the board/stockholders against LSJ whose company is being audited.  Kang will go over the numbers with a fine tooth comb so will catch anything the auditor missed.  

Yes she is killing 2 birds with a single stone. 

My god.. i knew this writer is very much detailed and all the dialogues and scenes are meaningful but I didn't think it would be that deep. Gosh I love her even more 

• Like 8

@bedifferent yes I noted the vacation home.  Because when SM went to investigate NamYangJu, he noted that the area was remote and had vacation homes.  I took that to mean it was a place where the rich and famous had their holiday abodes?  Which is what clued me into Hanjo.  Who else had the funds to have vacation homes?   Or maybe the subs weren’t accurate.  Yes I remember the crypto currency mentions.  Good catch to pull it altogether!  :) And WTH was pulled up for selling his (?) before it crashed (or had audits) because he had inside information...and he just waved that little bit of info away as if it was nothing?

So it looks like WTH may be involved after all?  I get the feeling he may have been the guy with the green lighter (and got scared because it looked like DJ was dead)?  I like @Gummi’s suggestion that Dir Park is involved somehow.  I don’t think WTH is the type of guy to beat someone up.  Dir Park on the other hand?  I would believe it.  He strikes me as one of those people you keep on side to “clean up” and tidy up loose ends. :huh:  Is DJ in the vacation home then?  It looked more like a cellar or basement?  

EDIT I don’t think it was very wise of Kang to meet up in a Hanjo Hotel?  The fact that he could be linked to Hanjo/conglomerates should’ve made him more cautious about being seen there?

EDIT2 - it looks like the bullying and potentially TongYeong case will be dealt with next week.  And we’ll see if there’s anything linking it with DJ.  

• Like 7

@nrllee i thought the way WTH had very conspicuously joined CB in the supposed meeting with Lawyer Oh was weird too. WTH said he will make it look like he was just dropping in to greet a senior, but that would have been odd imo. WTH and CB have so far been very distant in public, and it is only in private that we as viewers get to see that they go way back. Whether it was a joint connection from covering things up together or even way before that. 

I cant fathom that CB would cover this up for her husband. Well we have nv had a chance to dwell into her backstory or family, so we cant tell if she has good relations with her husband or not. But from how she talked about PGS's wife, it feels like she was in a similar position- having to cover something up for her husband perhaps?

From doonabae ig

Ahh writer nim sent her a coffee truck!

Screenshot-20200922-145416-Instagram.jpg

• Like 7