[Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁

0ly40

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, lizzyd said:

Ep 8 was sweet but also sad. It was heartbreaking when he told her he knows she is lying/not telling the full truth but he chooses to believe her because the fact that she’s alive and admitting she’s Eun Ki is enough for him. It took 8 episodes to see his dimpled smile come out. I fear with  his overactive tear ducts that when he finds out who she really is and what she’s up to he’s going to drown the whole country with beautiful tears.

LOL! I've said this many times, I feel like, but I really like how Kyung is written as a character. He has his weaknesses especially when it comes to his heart, case in point, willing to overlook any lies EB might have told him just because he's glad to know she's alive, as well as believing/hoping for the best of his mother despite knowing in his heart that she's good at squeezing out crocodile tears and would always prioritise her family (the Kim's clan). He's also strong in many ways e.g. getting involve to get things done, bold (the scene with LJH where he declared EB's heart has always been his), and readily come up with his own plans. That said, I too expect he'd feel somewhat betrayed by EB once the whole truth comes out. I just hope it'd come out from her own willingness, not because she got put in the spot by their enemies incl. BJY.

Based on the preview for next week, looks like EB's mother will be in danger while trying to help the real HongYeon escape. Both the Kim's and JHG are out for EB's blood next week, so looks like Kyung will be busy with them while LJH's party will take a backseat, only to come out as the main antagonist after Kyung has dealt with those two :unsure:

I finished 8th ep with subs... It was bittersweet. 

Our Honey couple chemistry over the rooftop. Just several glances and my heart was warming up so much. And Eun Bo monologue when she was talking to her servant girl... Oh my heart be still.

It was a while when I was feeling like this abt kdrama... The last one was Come and hug me.

Actually I can't understand why Kim family is so eager to humiliate and made miserable our Kyun... He is also their family or they think that they r untouchable ABC's of Queen Mother? They really are playing with fire ad when Kyun explodes... There will be many many victims of his rage mark my word...

The K-viewers have been complaining about the lack of promotion from TV Chosun for this drama and it seems like they are finally listening! The last few days they finally gave fans some lovely BTS making videos.  The atmosphere on set is awesome despite the cold weather and our KyungBo:wub: OTP are adorable:heart: 

Credit to the lovely lighthoney1610 for the English subtitles.  (I have posted the original videos from the TV Chosun channel in the spoiler bar)

Episodes 7-8 Making Video

(Eng) 200113 Making Film - Queen: Love and War

And a cute BTS video which I believe was a thank you to viewers for the ratings

English subs from lighthoney1610 IG

Original videos from TV Chosun YouTube channel

Spoiler

@wizuwizu i like your take on LeeKyung’s character. The King carries a heavy weight on his shoulders. He has to appease the pressure from the ministers in trying to keep peace in his court. And it is sad that the Queen Mother is a thorn in his side. 

i’m hugely disappointed with EB in the latest episode. I wish she is a lot stronger then she is made out to be. She was kidnapped and almost got kicked out of the selection if not for the King’s enuch and YeSil’s help. Now she is framed for murder, unbelievable. 

As for YoungJi, she is conflicted and unpredictable. Unlike SongYi, she didn’t resort to her own trickery to get EunBo eliminated. It was her father who came up with a scheme which seems to be more frightening than SongYi’s. YoungJi is conscientious of  her feelings for LeeKyung and i think she rather die then see LeeKyung hating her for what she or her father did hence that promise by GaePyong. 

7 hours ago, Jillia said:

Btw I can barely take Lee Jae Hwa serious because he is painted as this man who puts a woman above the goals he had. A woman who obviously doesn't return his feelings (heck, they don't know eachother!) and still he keeps talking like some caveman (even though Kyung isn't better because he as well calls Eun Bo his woman). So his arc is a bit disappointing, even though I saw it coming the moment the drama introduced him. I like him more when he isn't focused on Eun Bo and talks about the Enlightenment Movement.

For me, I didn't think LJH is putting a woman above his goals, per se. It felt like it's mostly (~90%) his ego/pride. He's been coveting the throne for so many years, and he sees Kyung as having something that is supposed to be his. I bet he'd get irate at every little thing he thinks should be his, but somehow Kyung get/possesses. Plus, he doesn't really need EB since she wasn't in his original plan anyway. It's BJY who is insisting on using her to get to Kyung, partly because of the plot, and partly because (my interpretation of his character) as is typical for pretentious people like him who thinks they practice the best of values, he can turn out to be the nastiest of them all morally speaking. He wants to break the King by manipulating his feelings/the person he loves. Meanwhile, LJH seems more keen on his rebel army. And perhaps, EB is the first woman he'd had feeling for in a long while too. It's all mixed up.

@raziela thanks for sharing the vids! I've seen Mingue (Kyung) in another show last year, and he is quite awkward when it comes to skinship (with women generally). So it was funny seeing the PD/SeYeon tease him.

8 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

i’m hugely disappointed with EB in the latest episode. I wish she is a lot stronger then she is made out to be. She was kidnapped and almost got kicked out of the selection if not for the King’s enuch and YeSil’s help. Now she is framed for murder, unbelievable. 

I don't think that's fair. Neither the kidnapping or the cooking incident were her fault.  At that point in the selection, she wasn't expecting Kim Song Yi to play so dirty as to have her kidnapped. No one was expecting that!  Even her own uncle, Minister Kim, was surprised when he heard what Song Yi had done:lol:  In the cooking competition, the Court Lady had been assigned to her so EB had no choice. It's not like she could be rude to her or ask for a different Court Lady. She would have been penalised.

I will say I thought both Lee Kyung and Eun Bo were foolish at the end of Episode 8.  The minute he woke up from his dream Kyung should have sent someone to check EB's things or guard her so nobody could get in.  Kyung hasn't done a good job of keeping her safe even with his dreams.  He can't always be around or send Han Mo/Eunuch Hwang. He should have been much smarter and bribed a Court Lady to keep an eye on EB. Meanwhile,  EB should have burnt that letter immediately. As someone who used to work for an informant agency and knowing how much the Queen Mother dislikes her she should have known better!

8 hours ago, imgreatgal said:

As for YoungJi, she is conflicted and unpredictable. Unlike SongYi, she didn’t resort to her own trickery to get EunBo eliminated. It was her father who came up with a scheme which seems to be more frightening than SongYi’s. YoungJi is conscientious of  her feelings for LeeKyung and i think she rather die then see LeeKyung hating her for what she or her father did hence that promise by GaePyong. 

I don't agree with this.  Young Ji isn't conflicted or unpredictable at all.

She isn't conflicted. She has had no qualms about trying to rid of EB from the day she saw her and went crying to her father. Even though she acts innocent she is complicit in her father's scheming to get rid of Eun Bo.  Just like Kim Song Yi said in episode 5 she is cowardly and doesn't have the guts to pick a side: acting kind and innocent but not admitting she is greedy and wants to win. However, in Episode 8 she definitely chose the dark side because she makes it clear she is willing to let Gap Byeong be maimed or die as long to prevent it harming her chances with the King.

She is predictable. Her only goal is to be by the King's woman.  That's the thing that stands out to me: she has NO sadness or empathy for the innocent Eun Ki who was murdered in cold blood or all the servants and soldiers who died in the attack. She doesn't care if Gap Pyeong-who she appears to have known since childhood-loses his life as long as it means she has a chance with the King.  The ONLY thing she cared about when she heard about the attack was that it harmed the King and if it's discovered she can't ever be with him. That girl is obsessed with him!

20 hours ago, Lilona said:

I HATE fox minister. The actor really good and I really hate this fox minister T_T. Poor Kyung and Eun Boooo T___T

I know I have said it before but I love your nickname for Jo Heung Gyun. It is so appropriate!:lol:

Love reading everyone's thoughts and posts and will be back to comment some more later! :)

New Kyung x EunBo Fan MV^_^

@razielaI'm totally agree with you abt YJ and I need to praise the actress-when she lifted her eyes at Gae Pyong and asked him If he really will commit suicide if he would be caught -It gave me chills. I saw the darkness behind her innocent and beautiful face and it was very ugly. So kudos to actress.

I also agree with you abt salt case. EB tried to complain when they checked their faces for make up and all that she received-double penalty so... 

@Jillia abt cavemen xD. Actually I laughed when I read this part of your comment bcs like girl, this is sageuk not modern drama xD. 

I'm watching Vlive that they did today. It seems Se Yun catches a cold but they r so cute together!

Someone asked for spoilers but they softly refused to tell anything xD.

Yes, she said to be wary of cold bcs she is ill now T_T. MK said that he already was ill 1 month ago and now he is fine xD

They were so funny when they tried to read what viewers were writing to them, bcs phone was horizontally but comments were vertically xD.

They were talking abt how Min Kyu was offended abt some meal (?). I don't quite understand in detail what that was abt , but in the end Se Yun cutely said that he can't be angry bcs She is ill xD

Some fan asked why MK was laughing in some making and he explained that there was a confusion abt how called him Johna or Mama and tone of her voice was very funny so he laughed xD

They were laughing so much :)

Than they explained why they r talking with each other in informal way (Se Yun is older than MK by 1 year) and MK said that if they will talk with each other in formal speach it will be hard to get closer.

They prepared some questions and picked them up randomly from bag. It seems like pink were to SY and blue to MK.

Q: Did you like more sageuk than modern (drama)?

She answered that it's more like she wanted to work again with the same GP PDnim and she like sageuk.

The next one was abt Lee Kyun? As much as I understand will she like if he was real (I can be wrong if you understand more pls help!)

The next q was What is drama abt? And Se Yun explained synopsis briefly.

The next was to MK: With whom amongst drama actors he is getting along well?

SY said that with Shi On bcs they have many scenes together and later with MK.

MK said with Han Mo and eunuch actors xD. And bcs he now have MANY scenes with Eun Bo now they r getting along well LOL xD

Someone complimented his voice and asked for song xD.

Someone asked if they same age xD.

Someone asked if they r watching any sageuks and SY said she is watching sageuks where many women, MK said Jumong, Haechi

She asked if he watched GP and he answered that he watched xD.

Abt favourite food: SY: jampong, MK was insisting at ttokbokki xDDDD. MK recommended some restaurant where very delicious food xD.

They r sooo cute together I can't xD

Fan asked recommd a song and they answered they really like drama OST.

Next q was How she will describe in 1 word chemistry with MK. In one word: The best! (Thumb up) SHe said it in slang and MK asked what it means and SY said that MK really bad in Internet surfing xD

Some fan asked him to touch her cheek? xD

If it will pass 6% MK will make fansign and SY said they will do it together xD

SOme fan wrote that they are look alike

Was aked abt some special place. SY said that she likes Namwon.

AHAHAHA. Some fan asked abt happy moment while filming drama, SY cutely said while filming with MK and MK said that when filming is over (LOL). Than SY asked him if he is having fun? (I'm dying here xDDDD)

Someone wrote (if I understand right) that when he read that drama abt twins he thought that they r twins (?), SY and MK laughed a LOT xD

Someone asked what ending it will be sad or happy and they answered that they don't know xD

Someone asked abt childhood dream and SY said teacher and MK smth abt design?

They r veery natural and cute together xD

Someone asked abt favourite phrase from drama ans SY said it: I will become a queen bcs it's a very strong phrase.

MK said that phrase that he will keep his promise this time.

SY said there is a good phrase from MK: She was my woman, from beginning xD 

They wanted to do live from set but were afraid of spoilers bcs they r filming ending now (T_T)

12 minutes ago, Lilona said:

I'm watching Vlive that they did today. It seems Se Yun catches a cold but they r so cute together!

Someone asked for spoilers but they softly refused to tell anything xD.

Yes, she said to be wary of cold bcs she is ill now T_T. MK said that he already was ill 1 month ago and now he is fine xD

They were so funny when they tried to read what viewers were writing to them, bcs phone was horizontally but comments were vertically xD.

They were talking abt how Min Kyu was offended abt some meal (?). I don't quite understand in detail what that was abt , but in the end Se Yun cutely said that he can't be angry bcs She is ill xD

Some fan asked why ML was laughing in some making and he explained that there was a confusion abt how called him Johna or Mama and tone of her voice was very funny so he laughed xD

They were laughing so much :)

Than they explained why they r talking with each other in informal way (Se Yun is older than MK by 1 year) and MK said that if they will talk with each other in formal speach it will be hard to get closer.

They prepared some questions and picked them up randomly from bag. It seems like pink were to SY and blue to MK.

Q: Did you like more sageuk than modern (drama)?

She answered that it's more like she wanted to work again with the same GP PDnim and she like sageuk.

The next one was abt Lee Kyun? As much as I understand will she like if he was real (I can be wrong if you understand more pls help!)

The next q was What is drama abt? And Se Yun explained synopsis briefly.

The next was to MK: With whom amongst drama actors he is getting along well?

SY said that with Shi On bcs they have many scenes together and later with MK.

MK said with Han Mo and eunuch actors xD. And bcs he now have MANY scenes with Eun Bo now they r getting along well LOL xD

Someone complimented his voice and asked for song xD.

Someone asked if they same age xD.

Someone asked if they r watching any sageuks and SY said she is watching sageuks where many women, MK said Jumong. Haechi

She asked if he watched GP and he answered that he watched xD.

Abt favourite food: SY: jampong, MK was insisting at ttokbokki xDDDD. MK recommended some restaurant where very delicious food xD.

They r sooo cute together I can't xD

Fan asked recommd a song and they answered they really like drama OST.

Next q was How she will describe in 1 word chemistry with MK. In one word: The best! (Thumb up) SHe said it in slang and MK asked what it means and SY said that MK really bad in Internet surfing xD

Some fan asked him to touch her cheek? xD

If it will pass 6% MK will make fansign and SY said they will do it together xD

SOme fan wrote that they are look alike

Was aked abt some special place. SY said that she likes Namwon.

AHAHAHA. Some fan asked abt happy moment while filming drama, SY cutely said while filming with MK and MK said that when filming is over (LOL). Than SY asked him if he is having fun? (I'm dying here xDDDD)

Someone wrote (if I understand right) that when he read that drama abt twins he thought that they r twins (?), SY and MK laughed a LOT xD

Someone asked what ending it will be sad or happy and they answered that they don't know xD

Someone asked abt childhood dream and SY said teacher and MK smth abt design?

They r veery natural and cute together xD

Someone asked abt favourite phrase from drama ans SY said it: I will become a queen bcs it's a very strong phrase.

MK said that phrase that he will keep his promise this time.

Thank you soooooooo much for the summary! I loved your little fangirl editorial comments too:lol:

Now I have a better understanding thanks to you as I watched the VLive but didn't understand anything but I love seeing how comfortable and close they are. Seems like they have a lot of fun together:heart:

Here is the VLive video for anyone who wants to watch:

https://www.vlive.tv/video/170299

Not sure how to embed the video so here it is on Twitter

7 minutes ago, raziela said:

Thank you soooooooo much for the summary! I loved your little fangirl editorial comments too:lol:

Now I have a better understanding thanks to you as I watched the VLive but didn't understand anything but I love seeing how comfortable and close they are. Seems like they have a lot of fun together:heart:

Here is the VLive video for anyone who wants to watch:

https://www.vlive.tv/video/170299

Not sure how to embed the video so here it is on Twitter

I wanted to add screencaps but it sooo difficult on these forum T_T. Sorry I'm too lazy LOL.

the King and EB cannot catch a break don't they... poor Eunbi now got frame for a murder. Glad EB realizes LK loves her not EK. 

The fox friend uses EB's father politic view to get what he wants as well as using the Prince too. If I understand well, the King also like EB's father ideal too or at least share the some ideal, no? That's why the King wants him to be his right man. I hope EB got the sense the fox friend is using her and cuts tie with him soon.

For Young Ji, didn't the fortune teller told her she is reaching for something is not hers. Girl gets a hint. 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:58 AM, lizzyd said:

Ep 8 was sweet but also sad. It was heartbreaking when he told her he knows she is lying/not telling the full truth but he chooses to believe her because the fact that she’s alive and admitting she’s Eun Ki is enough for him. It took 8 episodes to see his dimpled smile come out. I fear with  his overactive tear ducts that when he finds out who she really is and what she’s up to he’s going to drown the whole country with beautiful tears. 

:lol::lol::lol: It was so nice to see the King happy again. The first time since Episode 1 he has properly smiled.  He loves Eun Bo so much:wub:

On 1/13/2020 at 2:23 PM, wizuwizu said:
Spoiler

LOL! I've said this many times, I feel like, but I really like how Kyung is written as a character. He has his weaknesses especially when it comes to his heart, case in point, willing to overlook any lies EB might have told him just because he's glad to know she's alive, as well as believing/hoping for the best of his mother despite knowing in his heart that she's good at squeezing out crocodile tears and would always prioritise her family (the Kim's clan). He's also strong in many ways e.g. getting involve to get things done, bold (the scene with LJH where he declared EB's heart has always been his), and readily come up with his own plans. That said, I too expect he'd feel somewhat betrayed by EB once the whole truth comes out. I just hope it'd come out from her own willingness, not because she got put in the spot by their enemies incl. BJY.

Based on the preview for next week, looks like EB's mother will be in danger while trying to help the real HongYeon escape. Both the Kim's and JHG are out for EB's blood next week, so looks like Kyung will be busy with them while LJH's party will take a backseat, only to come out as the main antagonist after Kyung has dealt with those two :unsure:

- I agree. I really enjoy the writing for Kyung.  You can really see his character growing throughout the drama.

- I'm worried for the real Hong Yeon and Eun Bo's mother too. They are innocent parties in all of this but they will be punished too if they are caught:tears:

On 1/13/2020 at 6:07 PM, Jillia said:
Spoiler

I finally did catch up on episode 7 and 8 and I have to say I like Young Ji's arc a lot. I don't really follow her reason why she admires Kyung so much (aside from him saying her from as a kid), yet at the same time I have great respect for her loyality. I don't know how - with such a scheming father - she was raised with this kind of values. In the beginning she came across as naive and she certainly is. And yes, she got manipulated into doing things to get Eun Bo eliminated from the selection but the actress was selling it well she wasn't doing it out of spite but simply because she really wants to be with the king. It's admirable but also a bit unnerving.

However I liked her moments with Gae Pyeong. They do have chemistry and I actually wanted to see more of them and how they grew up together. And he apparently fell in love with her (which Young Ji's father spotted right away and he used it to manipulate Gae Pyeong into doing things for Young Ji). In the end Gae Pyeong is doing all this because - like many underlings - he feels loyal towards Minister Cho and especially Young Ji.

But then it took a dark turn for her when she asked Gae Pyeong if he can promise he will keep it all a secret and would rather cut his tongue and die immediately instead of betraying them. I thought this was a turn and actually showed that Young Ji is very much the daughter of her father.

When it comes to Eun Bo, there were a lot of emotional moments and truths for her in these episodes. First of all, when she reunited with her mother in the HQ where Lee Jae Hwa is seeing them.

Btw I can barely take Lee Jae Hwa serious because he is painted as this man who puts a woman above the goals he had. A woman who obviously doesn't return his feelings (heck, they don't know eachother!) and still he keeps talking like some caveman (even though Kyung isn't better because he as well calls Eun Bo his woman). So his arc is a bit disappointing, even though I saw it coming the moment the drama introduced him. I like him more when he isn't focused on Eun Bo and talks about the Enlightenment Movement.

Back to Eun Bo... she gives up on telling Kyung the truth who she really is by lying about her identity again and giving Eun Ki the memories Eun Bo had with Kyung. I thought it was actually heartbreaking and I hope Kyung gets behind the secret. May it be by accident or by one of his ridiculous dreams.

On the other hand, it was nice to see Eun Bo starting the question the motives of Baek Ja Yong (who actually does see Eun Bo as a puppet he is using) and I can't wait for her to move on and disconnect herself from him - even though it means to give up her father's political goal. Or maybe to achieve it in a different way than what he is planning to do.

- I agree with your thoughts on the dark turn Young Ji's character has taken now .  kim Song Yi will be happy as she has finally chosen a side! She is certainly her father's daughter and Gap Pyeong has tragic death written all over his character.

- As you and @lizzyd and @wizuwizu said Kyung seems to know Eun Bo hasn't been completely honest with him but he's willing to accept it because she has come back to him.  It really is heartbreaking:tears: I'm nervous for the eventual revelation and how Kyung will react.

- LOL! I love your continued hate for his "ridiculous dreams". I think it's nice development.seeing how he reacted this time.  Before he was panicked when he had the dreams but this time he was calm as he understands them now.

- So relieved Eun Bo eyes have finally been opened to Baek Ja Yong's lies (thanks, Eunuch Hwang:D). I was so relieved she asked the right questions when she confronted him. 

On 1/14/2020 at 2:11 AM, wizuwizu said:

@raziela thanks for sharing the vids! I've seen Mingue (Kyung) in another show last year, and he is quite awkward when it comes to skinship (with women generally). So it was funny seeing the PD/SeYeon tease him.

You are welcome! ^_^ Is he awkward? This director usually has rather passionate skinship scenes:flushed: but maybe we won't get anything  like that in this drama if KMK is so uncomfortable with skinship:unsure:

8 hours ago, Agasshi said:

the King and EB cannot catch a break don't they... poor Eunbi now got frame for a murder. Glad EB realizes LK loves her not EK. 

The fox friend uses EB's father politic view to get what he wants as well as using the Prince too. If I understand well, the King also like EB's father ideal too or at least share the some ideal, no? That's why the King wants him to be his right man. I hope EB got the sense the fox friend is using her and cuts tie with him soon.

For Young Ji, didn't the fortune teller told her she is reaching for something is not hers. Girl gets a hint. 

- I'm glad that is cleared up on EB's end but poor Kyung still doesn't even know she is a twin.

- Yes, the King seemed to be sympathetic with a lot Kang Yi Soo's ideals which was why he wanted him by his side and Eun Bo's father changed his opinion of the King.

- There have been lots of hints about Young Ji trying to reach for something that isn't hers. I wish she would have gotten the hint after the first Selection when she wasn't chosen LMAO!:lol:

Posting some pictures from the mid-drama press conference today. It was held before Jin Se Yeon and Kim Min Kyu's VLive. Some pictures:heart:

Sharing some adorable clips from KMK and JSY's vLive yesterday. They have such great chemistry with each other and their visuals too! You can tell they are close and have a lot of fun together:blush:

Thanks to lighthoney1610 IG for the English translation:

Cheek poking!:D

This part was so hilarious. Sulky King:lol::lol::lol: and JSY being cute and reminding him she's sick (:() so he is nice to her!

KMK teasing JSY:P

On 1/14/2020 at 11:40 AM, Lilona said:

I am always so confused by this Korean seniority thing. They are born in the same year (Jin Se Yeon is Feb 15th 1994 and Kim Min Kyu is December 25th 1994) and they are even the same age currently so I didn't understand why KMK was calling her "noona" before at the start of filming. Glad he stopped and they are so informal and close with each other now^_^

@raziela thanks again for sharing more clips :D KMK is really a sensitive guy, just like he was in the other show (I forgot the name...), in a a way that his seniors adore him. Also, agree that they got along so well so that's nice to see.

@rocher22 ooh Kyung is going to get so angry at both EB and Wal, I think. They both lied to his face in so many separate instances, though it's hilarious how they scrambled to get their story straight/in-sync :D

Lighthoney1610 compiled the vLiive clips on her YouTube channel:):

15 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Poor Wal...:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:The King is so territorial now he has his beloved back even with poor Wal.

9 hours ago, wizuwizu said:

@rocher22 ooh Kyung is going to get so angry at both EB and Wal, I think. They both lied to his face in so many separate instances, though it's hilarious how they scrambled to get their story straight/in-sync :D

Haha! Yes, i love all the little faces Eun Bo was making at Wal to get him in sync with her story.

Rewatching Episode 8 and I am worried about the foreshadowing from the female shaman when she spoke to Lee Kyung and said the forecasting dreams might make his body weak. I hope he doesn't end up dying at the end of the drama:tears: C-drama Princess Weiyoung already did that to me and left me heartbroken:tears:

Does anyone else think the one who planted the poison in Eun Bo's belongings was:

Spoiler

Dan Young (the timid, poor candidate).  In Kyung's dream you can see culprit was carrying the poison in a beautifully embroidered handkerchief.  Throughout the selection the story has emphasised Dan Young's excellent embroidery skills:o

I thought she seemed really sweet so-if I am correct- I hope she has a good explanation why she would do that to Eun Bo.

20 hours ago, rocher22 said:

Such a cliche scene...:D

But, I like it...:wub:

:wub: Definitely and same! The way he took her hand was very smooth:lol: and the kids are too cute.

^_^These cuties!

New making video with Kyung and his faithful team:D:

Archived