[Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁

0ly40

On 12/5/2019 at 7:18 AM, Oksana Sutra said:

Wow main couple is so amazing here! I cant wait to see them please please please let it be very romantic story! 

Yes! I hope they do a great job with the romance aspect of the drama too:wub:

4 hours ago, Oksana Sutra said:

The King stole my heart already .

Kim Min Kyu is very, very handsome. I love how he good he looks when he is wearing the hunting outfit like in the group poster:flushed:

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TV Chosun released the supporting characters posters too.  I am really loving the artwork for this drama ^_^

“Queen: Love And War” Starring Jin Se Yeon And Kim Min Kyu Introduces Main Cast With Beautiful Character Posters

Dec 6, 2019
by R. Jun

Upcoming TV Chosun drama “Queen: Love and War” has revealed character posters introducing the main cast of the drama, which includes Jin Se Yeon, Kim Min Kyu, Do Sang Woo, Lee Yul Eum, and more.

The drama is a historical fantasy about the cutthroat competition over the selection of the new queen, the only person in the kingdom who can have power without being related to the royal family.

Each poster includes a line from the character, giving insight into the character’s mission, motives, feelings, and more.

Kang Eun Bo (Jin Se Yeon) – “If I become queen, will I be able to find the one who killed my sister?”

queen-love-and-war-jin-se-yeon.jpg

Lee Kyung (Kim Min Kyu) – “She’s always next to me. In my dreams, in my memories, she always shows up and is with me.”

queen-love-and-war-kim-min-kyu.jpg

Lee Jae Hwa (Do Sang Woo) – “I’ve never seen a more beautiful woman in my life.”

queen-love-and-war-do-sang-woo.jpg

Jo Young Ji (Lee Yul Eum) – “This time, truly, I want to become the king’s woman.”

Spoiler

queen-love-and-war-lee-yul-eum.jpg

A source from the drama said, “All of the actors and staff members are hard at work, completely immersed in the drama. The actors especially have 120 percent become their characters and are eliciting applause on set. Please look forward to the story of these passionate characters, who participate in selection with everything on the line.”

“Queen: Love and War” premieres on December 14 and will be available on Viki.

Check out more posters below!

Spoiler

queen-love-and-war-lee-si-eon.jpg

queen-love-and-war-lee-hwa-kyeom.jpg

queen-love-and-war-jo-eun-sook.jpg

queen-love-and-war-jung-ae-ri.jpg

queen-love-and-war-son-byung-ho.jpg

queen-love-and-war-lee-jae-yong.jpg

Source (1)

https://www.soompi.com/article/1369890wpp/queen-love-and-war-starring-jin-se-yeon-and-kim-min-kyu-introduces-main-cast-with-beautiful-character-posters

The other supporting character posters are in the spoiler bars.

Lee Si Eon - Wal

Yoo Yong - Kim Song Yi (Prime Minister's niece)

Cho Eun Sook - Queen Dowager

Jung Aeri - Grand Royal Queen Dowager

Son Byungho - Kim Man Chan (Prime Minister and Kim Song Yi's uncle)

Lee Jae Yong - Cho Heung Gyun (Cho Youngji's father)

Lots of new pictures, videos and news already this week as the drama starts airing this Saturday :blush:

Interview with the director, Kim Jung Min  Many thanks to lighthoney1610 (on IG and Twitter) for the translation

Many thanks again to lighthoney1610 for the translating the script reading video:

New still of JSY as our heroine Kang Eunbo (and her twin sister, Eunki)

Spoiler

New still of JSY as our heroine Kang Eunbo (and her twin sister, Eunki)

Beautiful new relationship chart for the drama.  Thanks to lighthoney 1610 on IG for translating

New teaser for the first episode! It seems like the first episode we will learn more about the relationship between the King and Eunki.

The poster with a little blurb about the vision for the drama.  I love the idea of seeing the bride selection process from the perspective of a woman as most literature only recorded things from the male viewpoint.

The press conference is tomorrow!  Looking forward to the pictures.

Thanks for posting the photoshoot video @Oksana Sutra

Kang Eunbo's character introduction kindly translated by lighthoney1610 on IG.  I love the sound of character.  Love courageous and determined female protagonists.

Jin SeYeon greeting video for her character translated.  Eun Bo sounds like such an interesting character 

Episode 1 stills (they are some slight spoilers so I have hidden them in the spoiler bar

Spoiler
:tears:

Pictures from the press conference today.  Love the colour co-ordinated cast!

Spoiler

Spoiler

10 minute preview :smiley: Lots of new scenes and learn more about the characters

Also this clip is funny as the MC wanted JSY and KMK to do a back hug because they are married in the drama. They were so shy! :blush:(thanks to lightoney1610 IG for translating)

Spoiler

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁 - Jin Se Yeon, Kim Min Gyu & Lee Yul Eum - Saturdays @ 21:30 KST - Premieres on December 14th

I'm excited for this! TV Chosun has come a long way from 'Bride of a Century' and I really love saguek's. I haven't watched anything Jin Se Yeon since 'Inspiring Generation' back in 2014 but I liked her in Five Fingers and Bridal Mask (:heartbreak:). Ki Min Gyu has dimples and he so freaking adorable. My favorite dramas this year were sageuks so lets see...

• Guest changed the title to [Upcoming Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁 - Jin Se Yeon, Kim Min Gyu & Lee Yul Eum - Saturdays @ 21:30 KST - Premieres TONIGHT

Today is THE Day!  The First episode of the drama airs tonight on TV Chosun at 22:50.  

By the way, for anyone who is watching on Viki the English title is Queen: Love and War

giphy.gif

The director posted the gorgeous opening credits. 

If anyone has watched The Princess' Man which was also from this director (and one of the best sageuks I've ever watched!) this music really reminds of the opening' song 'Vola'.

Some new stills for the upcoming episodes:

First still is Eun Bo training to be a noble lady for the Gantaek selection.  Looking forward to those fun scenes :)

I was not expecting that particular picture with the Grand Royal Dowager. She is going to be an intimidating character.  i hope she likes Eun Bo:sweatingbullets: 

Translated press conference clip from our OTP about working together ^_^ (thanks to lighthoney1610 IG)

21 hours ago, JoeZee said:

I'm excited for this! TV Chosun has come a long way from 'Bride of a Century' and I really love saguek's. I haven't watched anything Jin Se Yeon since 'Inspiring Generation' back in 2014 but I liked her in Five Fingers and Bridal Mask (:heartbreak:). Ki Min Gyu has dimples and he so freaking adorable. My favorite dramas this year were sageuks so lets see...

Great to hear you are looking forward to this drama:D  Hope you will join in and post on the thread!

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁 - Sat & Sun @ 22:50 KST

I am still waiting for the full English subs but I watched the first episode partially subbed and I LOVED it:heart:! It definitely gives me a The Moon Embracing The Sun and The Princess' Man feeling which is definitely a good thing:lol: 

The plot is so interesting, directing, cinematography and soundtrack are gorgeous and the characters and acting are great. I hope they can maintain this high quality throughout the drama.

A lot of the episode is a flashback and our OTP leads don't exactly interact yet.  We don't even see much of EunBo this episode but I think she and the Kng meet in the next episode.  Will post more of my thoughts once I have watched the fully translated episode:)

Spoiler

Kim Min Kyu And Jin Se Yeon Share A Romantic Boat Date In “Queen: Love And War”

Kim Min Kyu And Jin Se Yeon Share A Romantic Boat Date In “Queen: Love And War”

Dec 14, 2019
by C. Hong

TV Chosun’s upcoming drama “Queen: Love and War” released sweet stills of its lead actors, Kim Min Kyu and Jin Se Yeon.

“Queen: Love and War” tells the story of Kang Eun Bo, a woman who wants to bring her twin sister’s murderer to justice. To do that, she will have to compete with every eligible noblewoman at the palace to win the heart of the king (Kim Min Kyu), who has been troubled with strange dreams after being shot in the head.

In new stills released by the drama, Jin Se Yeon and Kim Min Kyu enjoy a quiet date out at night on the water. While both are dressed like aristocrats, it looks like the king has slipped away from his royal retinue to enjoy a secret date.

Spoiler

kim-min-kyu-queen-love-and-war.jpg

Spoiler

queen-love-and-war-jin-se-yeon-kim-min-k

kim-min-kyu-jin-se-yeon-queen-love-and-w

The scene in question was filmed in October in Namwon, North Jeolla Province. Kim Min Kyu took care of his co-star by helping her get in and out of the unsteady boat in her hanbok (traditional clothing). Jin Se Yeon got into character naturally during rehearsals and immersed herself into the feelings of the scene.

The production staff stated, “Jin Se Yeon and Kim Min Kyu have particularly good chemistry in emotional scenes. They are very respectful of each other, so they try to take care of each other when they match up. Even the production staff are surprised by how well their scenes come off when they’re together. Please tune in to the broadcast to see how and why the king of Joseon ends up on a secret date with a mysterious woman.”

kim-min-kyu-queen-love-and-war-1.jpgjin-se-yeon-queen-love-and-war.jpg

“Queen: Love and War” premieres on December 14 at 10:50 p.m. KST and will be available on Viki.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1371550wpp/kim-min-kyu-and-jin-se-yeon-share-a-romantic-boat-date-in-queen-love-and-war

21 hours ago, joccu said:

the first episode was pretty good :wub:

I agree. The king got backstabbed by his own grandmother in the end. The latter decided to get rid of Eun Ki's family and I believe that her decision will affect her relationship with the king. Besides, she is not aware that Eun Ki has a twin sister. 

Honestly, I don't like so much JSY's acting but I'd like watching sagueuk

so I think I'll give it a try and surprise !!

It's not bad... I don't say it's pefect ; historical drama is the speciality of MBC :

but for this small chanel as Chosun; it's not bad

the scrypte is OK until now; actors's acting is OK too

We'll see in the next eps

Love it! I knew it was EB that King has the feelings for not EK. 

Why couldn’t EB just “rise from the dead” to be EK? It would save her family. :lol: Dramas write impossible storylines all the time. I honestly thought that she would do that instead of another Queen selection. 

At any rate just wanted to say how much I love the OTP already.

On 12/15/2019 at 7:22 PM, joccu said:

the first episode was pretty good :wub:

Yay!  Glad you liked it.  I loved the first two episodes.

On 12/16/2019 at 6:26 PM, diane90 said:

Honestly, I don't like so much JSY's acting but I'd like watching sagueuk

so I think I'll give it a try and surprise !!

It's not bad... I don't say it's pefect ; historical drama is the speciality of MBC :

but for this small chanel as Chosun; it's not bad

the scrypte is OK until now; actors's acting is OK too

We'll see in the next eps

Obviously I am a JSY fan :lol: but thanks for trying the drama nd glad you liked it.  Hope you stay watching :D

On 12/16/2019 at 5:11 PM, bebebisous33 said:

I agree. The king got backstabbed by his own grandmother in the end. The latter decided to get rid of Eun Ki's family and I believe that her decision will affect her relationship with the king. Besides, she is not aware that Eun Ki has a twin sister. 

Yes.  It's pretty sad as he was obviously very close to his grandmother.  It seems she was more involved with raising him than his mother. And now his emotions are torn between his feelings for Eunki's family and doing what is right and listening to the person he loves and respects. 

Even if I don't necessarily agree with the Grand Dowager's actions, she is a fascinating and very formidable character! Clearly the matriarch and backbone of the Royal family. Kyung still seems naive and idealistic. It seems like he became King quite young so his his Grandmother has been leading things but I guess this will be about his journey becoming a wise and strong King. 

I can't wait until the Grand Dowager sees Eun Bo!

On 12/16/2019 at 10:05 PM, chdom said:

Love it! I knew it was EB that King has the feelings for not EK. 

Why couldn’t EB just “rise from the dead” to be EK? It would save her family. :lol: Dramas write impossible storylines all the time. I honestly thought that she would do that instead of another Queen selection. 

At any rate just wanted to say how much I love the OTP already.

Yes!  He had the wrong twin. I loved the sinister foreshadowing during their boat date when Kyung tried to catch the lamp that is supposed to signify a long, happy relationship together dropped into the water and extinguished.

By that time The Queen had been dead for a few days to the extent that her body was going into rigor mortis and the grandmother had already started her plan against the Kang family.  Even if EB had pretended to be EK back to life they would have found a way to use it against them.

I love the (real) OTP too:wub: Even though I think they have only had about three scenes together so far the subtle tension even though he has yet to even see her face is just 

*swoons*

giphy.gif

Can't wait for their next meeting and when he finally sees her face.

Teaser for episode 3:

Translated BTS from Episode 1 with our cowardly King and his fear of hot candle wax :lol::lol::lol:

cr: Thanks to lighthoney1610 IG for translating!

I love sageuks so I tried the first 2 episodes. I'm currently ambiguous about the drama. It has all the right elements but something seems off. I'm going to continue to watch it though because I can't judge this drama so early because it really looks like lit could be promising.  

15 hours ago, Jillia said:

First impressions:

So I was a bit on the fence to watch this despite my love for sageuks and 2019 hasn't been THE year for sageuks (aside from Crowned Clown and Tale of Nokdu). I won't share the reason because in the end I decided to give this a try because: Kim Jung Min, the PD, is such a sageuk veteran with dramas like Princess' Man, Gunman in Joseon and Grand Prince under his belt. I'm not familiar with the screenwriter but I can tell right away that the writing seems to be a bit of a problem. Same goes weirdly with the directing which feels old-fashioned. I understand this is TV Chosun but they seem to aim to do a lot of sageuks, so I expect a lot more than a drama looking like it was made 15 years ago. Heck, Princess' Man looks much better than this one and it's a 2011 drama.

The cold opening was good, reminded me a lot of Princess' Man, so I guess this was more coming from Kim Jung Min and not the writer. How Lee Kyung survived having a bullet in his head - in a time like this - is beyond me though. I understand they can't kill him off and maybe it will play a bigger role in the future episodes when he will see Eun Bo, thinking she is Eun Ki. But he survived this way too easily.

I was honestly not happy with how they got to the point with Eun Ki and Eun Bo being twins. I mean it was obvious (also because of the character descriptions) but the writing could've done it a lot better. I'm also unsure how Eun Bo can enter the queen selection when everyone knows the face of her twin sister whose family are now considered as traitors.

Anyways, I liked however that while Eun Ki and Eun Bo seemed so different, with Eun Ki being more demure and delicate while Eun Bo was more tomboy like, Eun Bo is/was still goodhearted (writing letters for other people, giving money to those in need) and warm.

Lee Jae Hwa is a bit of question mark to me. Acting like a dumb man... I'm not sure what his motives are but I definitely don't think he is as dumb as he pretends to be. I'm not sure it was a good choice to introduce him like this when in the end he will be the exact opposite. Which I'm sure is going to happen.

What I like however is how Eun Bo and Lee Kyung "team up" in order to find out who was behind the assassination of Eun Ki and attempted assassination of Lee Kyung. I think it's gonna be interesting because Eun Bo knows he is the king but Lee Kyung doesn't know about Eun Ki and Eun Bo being twin sisters.

The whole setup of the Kang family is very... well... typical sageuk-like. But it's nice to see Lee Kyung struggeling and not being easily manipulated by the ministers and the Queen Dowager.

Despite the many flaws I'm still interested to see where the drama takes us. Also because the first episodes were plot-filled and fast and I wasn't bored. Merely not overly impressed by the first 2 episodes.

Thoughtful review.  I like the way this was filmed and actually thought there were some beautifully shot and cinematic scenes. It might have a slightly old-fashioned feel but maybe that's exactly why i like it so much as it has the familiar and comfortable feeling of so many older sageuks I enjoyed like The Moon That Embraces The Sun, The Princess' Man, The Flower in Prison, Moonlight Drawn by Clouds.  I am really enjoying the OST too.

I agree the whole Lee Kyung resurrection is unbelievable but the drama was described as a fantasy sageuk and along with the female shamans and Lee Kyung's visions I guess they will just handwave it away as "magic" and "the power of love or destiny" or something as it was Eun Bo's presence that woke him up.  At the moment the Grand Royal Dowager and Left State Minister have managed to convince everyone that it's because he has a divine purpose so nobody will dare to argue with that for now.

I was annoyed Eun Ki didn't admit to Kyung he had the wrong sister as she obviously realised the childhood love he was talkiing about was Eun Bo.  It's sort of explained in episode 2 during the flashback to their childhood Eun Ki mentions "house rules" they have to keep it secret they are twins  but I want to know why that is.  I do remember from Queen Seondeok twin girls are seen as a bad omen but I thought that was just made up for the drama or was that a widespread belief in Korean history? I'm hoping the drama will explain this secrecy later on.

I also liked that the twins were different but both warm in their own way.  Even though Eun Ki was the more demure, proper one she didn't mind helping her sister escape and even though Eun Bo was an adventurous, tomboy one she is still kind and smart. Both the young actors in the flashback scenes did a very convincing job establishing their bond and chemistry in just some minutes of screen time^_^

I thought the writer did a pretty good job conveying the brief, ill-fated romance with Eun Ki before taking us back to the present day events and back to the actual protagonist Eun Bo. I was also trying to figure out how Eun Ki actually felt about Kyung.  It seems like she kept going with the selection process because her father wanted her too and she was swept along with Kyung's passion and charisma but was she in love with him?

Oh, Lee Jae Hwa definitely isn't as dumb as he pretends to be.  I think at the moment he is keeping his head down and playing dumb so he isn't seen as a threat to the King.  I think he is amusing and adorable right now but I think he is going to turn out to be a darker character. There were a couple of moments during the procession as the new King where he dropped the country bumpkin act and looked very shrewd.  He also drops the bumbling idiocy briefly when he speaks to Eun Bo after the fish stall scene (where he was smitten with her:lol:)

I like that the King and Eun Bo are teaming up too and that-at the moment- Eun Bo has the upper hand in terms of knowledge. I agree Lee Kyung might be too inexperienced, emotional and idealistic but he is intelligent and doing his best to figure the situation around him pretty quickly. I think because he was a young King and it's clear the Grand Royal Dowager is still very active and very involved, the ministers don't take him seriously.  The Kim minister even calls him useless.  From what I can see at the moment, the Left State Minister is favoured by his grandmother and the Prime Minster Kim is from the Queen's family but Kyung has no minister in his corner.

i am also trying to figure out how they are going to get Eun Bo into the new Queen selection? in the preview, it sounds like Inspector Baek Ja Yong wants to use Eun Bo's resemblance to Eun Ki to their advantage but i'm not sure how.

P.S. After your comments I will also give The Tale of Nokdu a try. I just finished The Crowned Clown a few weeks ago and really liked it:)

Beautiful drama.

I liked both episodes. An interesting story and characters.

EB is a smart and resourceful girl.

Same as LK, who doesnt give up so easily even though there are a lot

of intrigues around him.

I like their chemistry on screen. :wub:

JH looks so naive.

I laughed when he compared the freshness of that fish with EB's beauty.

He seems to have fallen in love at first sight. :)

Archived