[Drama 2019-2020] Selection: The War Between Women, 간택 - 여인들의 전쟁

0ly40

@raziela @PororoQueen Your comments are always a fun and delightful read. What a cliffhanger they left us on Sunday’s episode! At the beginning of episode 14, they gave us such a beautiful scene of OTP strolling and love is in the air feel, only to leave us heart broken near the end. Really enjoyed that scene of LK and his grandma, like how she confronted him on EB’s secret and him telling her how his fate with EB from the get go and that he loves her unconditionally. That was such a heartbreaking moment. I am literally disgusted with LK’s mom selfishness for power by plotting w/ her Clan and putting her son in difficult position. Shouldn’t she be more supportive to him? He is her biological son...tsk, tsk

Am I the only one who’s still confused about the whole twin prophecy? It’s so vaguely explained and for them to kill off all twins during that time, cruel and stupid! Maybe the prophecy will bring about the downfall of the Kim’s Clan and the exploitation of corrupted ministers in court. Our king LK starting a new regime “for the people” afterward. Like I said, the prophecy was so unclear as to was it for the good or bad?

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely adorable and entertaining making video released today:lol: I needed this after the heartbreaking episode 14.  Credit to lighthoney1610 IG for translating

@mizv They have definitely consummated.;) It was just an awkwardly shot lol!

13 hours ago, wizuwizu said:

Just watched the subbed episodes myself. Whew after saying I was a bit underwhelmed by ep.12, both ep.13 and 14 redeemed themselves back into my graces :D I'm so excited for the conclusion. I wonder how Kyung and EB are going to get out of all this mess safely. It seems like the two camps (LJH/JHG + Kims) are joining forces to lay siege to the palace. Does the King even have enough guards (loyal to him) to face the enemies? :( Also, I'm already missing this drama...^_^

I really wonder how they are going to get through this.  There is so much happening and only two episodes left!  The twin prophecy finally gets brought back up and it looks like their biggest obstacle yet.  I wonder how the Kim's are going to form an alliance with LJH and minister Jo.  They are just a dreadful people! Do they not have any familial feeling for Kyung at all? i guess they will just follow wherever power is and maybe they think the King is the losing side.  I'm not ready to say goodbye to this drama either:tears:

6 hours ago, emmaleigh said:

@raziela @PororoQueen Your comments are always a fun and delightful read. What a cliffhanger they left us on Sunday’s episode! At the beginning of episode 14, they gave us such a beautiful scene of OTP strolling and love is in the air feel, only to leave us heart broken near the end. Really enjoyed that scene of LK and his grandma, like how she confronted him on EB’s secret and him telling her how his fate with EB from the get go and that he loves her unconditionally. That was such a heartbreaking moment. I am literally disgusted with LK’s mom selfishness for power by plotting w/ her Clan and putting her son in difficult position. Shouldn’t she be more supportive to him? He is her biological son...tsk, tsk

Am I the only one who’s still confused about the whole twin prophecy? It’s so vaguely explained and for them to kill off all twins during that time, cruel and stupid! Maybe the prophecy will bring about the downfall of the Kim’s Clan and the exploitation of corrupted ministers in court. Our king LK starting a new regime “for the people” afterward. Like I said, the prophecy was so unclear as to was it for the good or bad?

Thanks :relaxed: Actually, I usually watch the episodes a couple of times but I couldn't watch episode 14 again because it made me so sad and frustrated:bawling:

Agree he contrast between how happy and loved up they were at the beginning and then everything collapsing on them over the course of the episode was heartbreaking:heartbreak:  There were so many heartbreaking moments the scenes that really got me were when Kyung spoke to his grandmother about his love for Eun Bo, their argument outside the Queen Mother's palace when Kyung told Eun Bo he hated her at that moment for making him have to see her punished  (and Eun Bo's subsequent recollection of his words) and the scene when she gave him his medicine for the last time and she told him how grateful she was to him for calling her by her real name and that she can now reclaim her name and the two of them subsequently sobbing in each others arms.  That final scene with both Kyung and Eun Bo walking to the Grand Palace knowing that their love is doomed and Eun Bo will be punished :bawling::bawling::bawling:  Eun Bo is so brave and strong refusing to run away and walking in there with her head held high to face whatever comes.  Eun Bo's talk with Kyung about not allowing him to lie to the people on her behalf or her bravery to walk forward and face the inevitable condemnation shows what a brave and admirable person she is,.  Lee Kyung and Joseon needs a Queen like her!

The twin prophecy is very vague.  "Change the world" could be something good as well as something bad but powerful people like to maintain the status quo and don't like change so the knee jerk reaction would be that it was a threat.  Interestingly, the twin purge seems to have been swept under the carpet because none of the younger generation knew about the prophecy or the killings.  My guess is I think something suspicious is going to come out about the shamans and the prophecy because I remember in some of the earlier episodes Baek Ja Yong alluded to some kind of issue with the shaman temple and used it to threaten the head shaman<_<

I wonder if EB might tell some white lies to try to protect Hong Ki ho and his family somehow.  Hopefully, Wal can get back in time with Kwon Ik Soo to clear Eun Bo's father's name.  Thank goodness for that stupid, big-mouthed Kim who can't hold his drink LMAO:lol: The Kims only care about their clan and their power.  I also can't believe how selfish the Queen Mother is. She doesn't seem to care about her son's feelings or happiness at all!  I am also wondering if Eun Bo's new maid might confess about the motherwort.  You could see she was feeling very guilty in episode 14.

I seriously don't know what to expect with these final episodes with the rebellion to deal with on top of everything else. I just hope Kyung and Eun Bo can have a happy ending and Eun Bo can claim her rightful place as Queen:persevere:

New cute making video!  Thanks to lighthoney1610 IG for the English translation:glasses:

Original video in TV Chosun YouTube channel

Spoiler

TV Chosun released new stills early yesterday after Eun Bo is forced out of the Palace.  I am really wondering if we will get a happy ending:tears:

Here is the Soompi article. 

Jin Se Yeon Stands Strong In The Face Of The Enemy In “Queen: Love And War”

Jin Se Yeon Stands Strong In The Face Of The Enemy In “Queen: Love And War”

Feb 6, 2020
by S. Park

Jin Se Yeon’s strength and tenacity will be put to the test in “Queen: Love and War.”

On February 6, TV Chosun released stills of the actress, with just a few days left before the finale. The palace romance and its lead actress have ranked on the list of most buzzworthy dramas and actors for the fourth week of January.

In the drama, Jin Se Yeon portrays heroine Kang Eun Bo who began dreaming of becoming a queen to fight against those who try to gain power by hurting innocent people. Last week, she revealed the secret about her dead twin sister and former queen.

In the stills, Jin Se Yeon looks fiercely at the person standing before her despite the knife pointed at her neck. This is the scene where Kang Eun Bo was dragged onto a snow-covered field with her hair down and hands tied together. She doesn’t flinch even when the sharp tip of the knife stabs her skin.

This scene was filmed in January at a mountain pass in the Taebaek Mountains called Daegwallyeong in Gangwon Province. Despite wearing only a single layer in the cold outdoors, Jin Se Yeon only focused on getting the shot right. She put a hot pack to her lips so that her mouth wouldn’t dry up due to the wind before getting into character to film.

When cameras began rolling, the actress poured out the emotions she had prepared and passionately portrayed the fearless Kang Eun Bo. She perfectly said her lines without any mistakes and earned applause on set.

A source from the drama said, “In order to repay those who love ‘Queen: Love and War,’ we released a piece of the final 15th and 16th episodes. An unexpected story plays out until the end. Please look forward to how the story will conclude in Kang Eun Bo and Jin Se Yeon’s way.”

What happened to Kang Eun Bo who was staying with Lee Kyung (played by Kim Min Kyu) inside of the palace, and why is she standing alone in the middle of a snow-covered mountain path? Find out when “Queen: Love and War” airs on Saturdays and Sundays at 10:50 p.m. KST.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1381622wpp/jin-se-yeon-stands-strong-in-the-face-of-the-enemy-in-queen-love-and-war

Queen: Love and War and Jin Se Yeon also appeared again on the Good Data Corporation weekly rankings of the most popular dramas and cast members who have generated the most buzz over the past week for the past weeks which is excellent for a drama on TV Chosun:smiley::

I didn't come here some days and it's still ' stuck' at ...page 14 !!!!

maybe everyone is tired with all the problems created by the writer like me :dizzy:

I didn't watch the ep 14 yet; maybe I'll watch all 3 last eps after.

Those past days I changed direction, I watched historical dramas of ......china hahaha !

I watched Ming Dynasry with Tang Wei but too much eps, I finished 3 first, after I jumped to 30

after to ....the end  ouf ! it's the same, same wars in the palace : war between princes, consorts,

there are more war inside the palace than outside . Life in the palece is not easy haizzzz !

I'm watching now ' The untammed '...wow I think  it's interesting 

@diane90 Yes, it would be great if the Soompi thread was more active but, nevermind, I'm happy for anyone who has taken the time to post here on this thread. Thankfully, there's lots of discussion on social media too:relieved:

New stills for episode 15:

Pictures 2 and 3 are kind of spoilers

This last post has a new still and the text preview for episode 15 (thanks to lighthoney1610 IG for translation) There are some spoilers so I will hide in the spoiler bar:o

Spoiler

Let's hope the director and writer allow a happy ending for Kyung Bo!:sweatingbullets:

Final episode today:bawling:  Here's hoping for a happy ending for the Kyung and Eun Bo:heart:

giphy.gif

Trailer for episode 16 and text preview:Jaehwa successfully escaped the palace and brought Eunbo to his base as hostage. Kyung received a letter from Jaehwa saying that if he wants to save Eunbo, he has to come alone. subbed video in the spoiler bar

Spoiler

“Queen: Love And War” Cast Shares Heartfelt Words Ahead Of Finale

TV Chosun’s “Queen: Love and War” is already nearing its end, and the actors have shared a few words to bid farewell to the drama and its viewers.

The TV Chosun drama tells the story of Kang Eun Bo (Jin Se Yeon), a woman bent on avenging the murder of her twin sister. To get justice for her family, she must enter a cutthroat competition to win the heart of King Yi Kyung (Kim Min Kyu), who is troubled by strange dreams.

Jin Se Yeon took on dual roles as Kang Eun Bo and Kang Eun Ki. She shared, “I don’t think I’ll be able to forget the moments I lived as Eun Bo. I’m really thankful for those who loved ‘Queen: Love and War’ and especially for those who cheered Eun Bo on. I believe I was able to receive so much love thanks to the combined efforts of many people. Please don’t forget ‘Queen: Love and War.'”

Kim Min Kyu, who played King Yi Kyung and showed his detailed emotional acting, expressed, “I was happy to be able to act as such a great character in a great environment with great people and a great project. It was a dream-like, unforgettable time. Moreover, I’ve formed new relationships that I won’t ever forget, so I’m thankful. I sincerely thank those who selected ‘Queen: Love and War.'”

As Lee Jae Hwa, who aimed for the throne under the disguise of a young man from the countryside, Do Sang Woo showed two contrasting charms. Do Sang Woo said, “The time we spent filming in the cold with the director, staff, and fellow actors remains in my memory. I felt happy to be able to make good memories. I genuinely thank everyone who loved ‘Queen: Love and War.'”

Lee Yul Eum was another actor who showcased her various sides while acting. She played Jo Young Ji, who went from a pure, young girl to a twisted queen. “It was very enjoyable to film. I won’t ever forget the moments we had fun filming with the great director, screenwriter, and staff. Please show ‘Queen: Love and War’ lots of love until the very end.”

Lee Si Eon, who completed the role of Wal, Hanyang’s best information broker, expressed, “More than anything else, I think that the teamwork between the actors of ‘Queen: Love and War’ was outstanding. We had a meaningful time as we worked together and learned something new about acting. Thank you to the director, screenwriter, actors, staff, and the viewers of who will love ‘Queen: Love and War’ until the end.”

Lastly, the producers shared, “The last episode of ‘Queen: Love and War’ on February 9 has a completely closed conclusion. Please join us to see how the finale of ‘Queen: Love and War,’ which was made through the great actors’ last efforts, will turn out.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1382073wpp/queen-love-and-war-cast-shares-heartfelt-words-ahead-of-finale

Pictures from the goodbye article:relaxed:

From Se Yeon's IG Story:lol::lol::lol:

Possibly spoiler pics from the last episode

Spoiler

I like the twist in the story to the twin prophecy was misinterpreted as ominous.  The prophecy was fulfilled when KB, a twin brought the King who was supposedly dead back to life.  The reason behind the prophecy was that KB and the King were destined to be together  and the King's promise under the stars to help KB.  

Tonight will be the finale. I think it will be a good ending with our OTP reunited on the gorgeous  snowy grassland.  

Thank you for all your wonderful posts and sharing of the previews, clips, etc. that would tide me over each week before the weedend airings.

12 hours ago, kdramafan1 said:

I like the twist in the story to the twin prophecy was misinterpreted as ominous.  The prophecy was fulfilled when KB, a twin brought the King who was supposedly dead back to life.  The reason behind the prophecy was that KB and the King were destined to be together  and the King's promise under the stars to help KB.  

Yes, I like how it all came full circle in episode 15 and the prophecy was re-interpreted in a positive way.  So sad to think of all the children who died because of it.

Great news the drama ended on a ratings high with 6.3% for 16% and is now the highest rated TVChosun drama ever. Very impressive for a small cable channel like TVC. Well done to the cast and staff for their hard work:lol:

“Queen: Love And War” Finale Breaks TV Chosun Ratings Record; “Tell Me What You Saw” Soars To All-Time High

Feb 10, 2020
by E. Cha

TV Chosun’s “Queen: Love and War” has ended with a bang!

On February 10, the series finale of the historical drama drew its highest viewership ratings yet, overtaking the hit 2018 drama “Grand Prince” to set a new record for the highest ratings ever achieved by any TV Chosun drama.

According to Nielsen Korea, the final episode of “Queen: Love and War” scored an average nationwide rating of 6.3 percent, breaking the previous record of 5.6 percent set by “Grand Prince.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1382225wpp/queen-love-and-war-finale-breaks-tv-chosun-ratings-record-tell-me-what-you-saw-soars-to-all-time-high

Spoiler

Just finished the finale and I feel very hollow. I was very glad that there was a happy ending, but I felt like they could've done so much more.

1) They showed Kim Man Chan and Young Ji, but nothing for Song Yi or Kyung's mom? After how snotty Song Yi has been the entire show I was really looking forward to seeing her live as a peasant, I imagine she wouldn't be handling it well. Same for his mom, not sure if she would've been forced to live as a peasant but seeing her in exile would've been really satisfying.

2) They made such a big deal about Kyung having the dreams and he gets over it by taking medicine for over a year? Felt like they should've done something more with that. I honestly thought Eun Bo would've had to kiss him or give him some of her energy or do a spell herself since she was a shaman for a time. Just something meaningful that connect her to Kyung's salvation.

3) Again, glad the pair was reunited and ultimately was a happy ending, but I feel so cheated about getting to see Eun Bo be given her proper place as queen. I thought Grandma was going to find Eun Bo herself and would've surprised Kyung at the selection and have Eun Bo there instead. They had a whole scene where Grandma tells him he needs a queen and that Eun Bo needs to stay away so how are we supposed to feel okay with the end without knowing she oks Eun Bo's return? Also wanted to see her reaction to the little prince. And I really, really, really wanted to finally see Eun Bo in the queen's hanbok. They had all this promo material of her in it, so how come we never get to see her in it? I was waiting for that the whole show

Overall I still really enjoyed the show and the OTP is one of the cutest couples in any kdrama I've ever seen. But the disappointments from the last 15 minutes of the show left me wanting more and it's sad knowing there's no episode next week that could deliver on my wishes.

@Katrina Abdul Talib

"Where is this place if I may ask?"

The location will be mostly likely the Korean Peninsular Cape in Yeongwol County, Gangwon-do

For those who like to know, the King had sent his mother to Onyang Haenggung (residential palace or Royal Villa)  Onyang, Asan is famous for its hot spring which means that the King had sent his mother to her "retirement". It is about 90 km from Seoul

I am so happy I watched this drama.

I loved the ending, it was beautiful.......but I honestly feel that this drama should have been at least 20 episodes. The ending where they alluded that their journey to acceptance would be longer...I am picturing battles in the palace. Given this drama is about the "Gantaek" and the "War between the women", THIS should be in the drama in my honest opinion. I am hoping for a second epilogue or season 2 but..

yeah..

But all the same , kudos to the cast and crew for building the chemistry between the characters and making us fall in love with them.

:wub:

11 hours ago, theedqueen said:
  Hide contents

Just finished the finale and I feel very hollow. I was very glad that there was a happy ending, but I felt like they could've done so much more.

1) They showed Kim Man Chan and Young Ji, but nothing for Song Yi or Kyung's mom? After how snotty Song Yi has been the entire show I was really looking forward to seeing her live as a peasant, I imagine she wouldn't be handling it well. Same for his mom, not sure if she would've been forced to live as a peasant but seeing her in exile would've been really satisfying.

2) They made such a big deal about Kyung having the dreams and he gets over it by taking medicine for over a year? Felt like they should've done something more with that. I honestly thought Eun Bo would've had to kiss him or give him some of her energy or do a spell herself since she was a shaman for a time. Just something meaningful that connect her to Kyung's salvation.

3) Again, glad the pair was reunited and ultimately was a happy ending, but I feel so cheated about getting to see Eun Bo be given her proper place as queen. I thought Grandma was going to find Eun Bo herself and would've surprised Kyung at the selection and have Eun Bo there instead. They had a whole scene where Grandma tells him he needs a queen and that Eun Bo needs to stay away so how are we supposed to feel okay with the end without knowing she oks Eun Bo's return? Also wanted to see her reaction to the little prince. And I really, really, really wanted to finally see Eun Bo in the queen's hanbok. They had all this promo material of her in it, so how come we never get to see her in it? I was waiting for that the whole show

Overall I still really enjoyed the show and the OTP is one of the cutest couples in any kdrama I've ever seen. But the disappointments from the last 15 minutes of the show left me wanting more and it's sad knowing there's no episode next week that could deliver on my wishes.

I agree 100% percent with what you're saying. I enjoyed the entire story but i felt cheated too at the end...i would love to have seen Kyung's grandmother accept his son. THAT would have been special...

Love this drama.  But felt that they should add another 1 or 2 episodes to the ending, which is too abrupt.  There are missing gaps like How EnBo found her way to her mother, how she survive, and also giving birth to the little prince, what happen to Queen Mother and Consort Kim.  Also did En Bo finally brought back to the Palace as Queen, and Queen Dowager reaction when she found out about her grandson.   It wud be perfect ending instead of keep the audience to form their own conclusion. However overall I love this drama 100%, and the fantastic casts.  The chemistry with the 2 leads is just so lovely.  :grin:

Finally had a chance to watch the subbed ending and agree with everyone else it was a very sweet, happy ending but it felt too rushed and there were many questions left unanswered ( I also didn't like how they made EB a complete damsel in distress in ep 16. What happened to her street smarts?<_<). Considering the title, the poster and the focus on becoming the Queen throughout the drama I can't help but feel cheated we never see Eun Bo have a proper Queen marriage ceremony or become Queen after she and Kyung have gone through so much to be together.  By the way JSY did a Q&A on her Instagram Story and fan said they were disappointed not to see her as Queen in the drama and it seems like she was a bit surprised about that too:lol:)

As others said I wanted to see so much more: their little family back in the Palace and Kyung and Eun Bo fighting to establish Eun Bo as Queen; Kyung and Eun Bo working together as King and Queen to create a better world as the drama hinted in the first half; what about the shaman saying Eun Bo has to stay away from Kyung, will his dreams return?; the Grand Royal Dowager meeting her gorgeous adorable baby great-grandson; more about Wal's background and if he ever found out his real name; Kyung being a doting daddy and husband, what happened to Kim Song Yi?; Wal, Hanmo and Eunuch Hwang interacting and making a fuss about the new very adorable baby Prince; Eun Bo's turmoil and bit of her struuggles after leaving the King.

According to one of the fans I follow there was a post on DC Gall that said the director actually wanted 18 episodes but the writer wanted to stick with 16 episodes.  I think the director was right and the writer made the wrong decision.  The writer is a rookie and you can definitely see the limitations in her writing in terms of pacing in these later episodes where she struggled to wrap up things properly and didn't' give enough focus to the leads.

I have thought for weeks that I think the drama would have been better off dropping the rebellion/Lee Je Hwa plotline. Do Sang Woo's acting was very good but the character was not developed adequately and the writer obviously struggled with this plot as the rebels were useless and all their plans mainly seemed to revolve around taking advantage of a teenage girl so they never seemed to like a real threat!  The antagonists could have been concentrated on the Kim clan and Jo clan and concentrated on more of the palace drama and infighting between the women. That would have created plenty of entertaining drama and conflict.  I also didn't really like the reliance of the plot on the dreams. I wanted to see Kyung use his smarts at the end! I get that the writer thought it necessary to create (yet another:rolleyes:) final conflict so Eun Bo stayed away from Kyung but then the shaman's words weren't really resolved so it seemed unnecessary.  I think the writer would have benefited from working with a more experienced co-writer, this drama should have had 2 -4 more episodes to better facilitate character/plot development, a bigger budget (because it was clear the budget was rather limited).  Lee Kyung and Eun Bo's chemistry was electric and beautiful and carried a lot of the show.  I will miss this couple and I would have liked to see more of their romance throughout the drama rather than a little too much focus on the supporting characters. 

Having said all that, I enjoyed this drama so much, it took over my weekends since December and I enjoyed it immensely. I was very impressed by the whole cast both the veterans and the younger actors. Thank you to the staff and the cast for all their hard work in the freezing cold weather.

@gerrytan8063Hello! Always great to see your wealth of knowledge in period dramas:)

I am still waiting for JSY and KMK's interviews.

Queen: Love and War was number 6 on the the most buzzworthy dramas over the past week which is excellent for a TV Chosun drama!buzzworthy-1.png

https://www.soompi.com/article/1382637wpp/crash-landing-on-you-scores-top-spots-on-lists-of-most-buzzworthy-dramas-and-actors

Good bye posts from the some of the actors:

Jin Se Yeon

Kim Min Kyu

Ahn Se Ha

Spoiler

Lee Hwa Kyeom (Kim Song Yi)

Spoiler

Do Sang Woo

Spoiler

Kim Bum jin (Han Mo)

Spoiler

Lee Si Eon

Spoiler

Glad that we got a happy ending plus a bonus ( baby Dam). However, like most of the kdrama, this show is no exception w/ the rushed ending. A bit disappointed that the promo poster was misleading. Can we get a special episode since Eunbo was not crowned Queen? It looks like WriterNim wants us to draw our own conclusions but I rather have it in action :blush:

@emmaleigh @Kimac Agreed!  I wanted to see this unfold onscreen.  Not have to use my imagination.

Happy Birthday Jin Se Yeon!!!!!!

(she's my Queen even if the drama is going to make us imagine it rather than show us onscreen:P)

giphy.gif

Not sure why TVC are releasing this so late but a new making video was posted on Friday. The video is super cute and KMK is definitely hot daddy material.  He is so adorable with baby Lee Dam :love: The captions for the baby's thoughts are so funny too:lol:

Thank you very much to lighthoney1610 IG for the translation:heart:

Original video on Tv Chosun YouTube channel

Spoiler

Final three making videos were released over the last week.  Lighthoney1610 has kindly subbed all of them on her IG and Youtube.  Watching the last two videos makes me emotional.  I will miss this drama:bawling:  i hope we can see JSY and KMK work together again! Thanks to everyone who worked on the drama and everyone who contributed to this thread:)

Original videos from the TV Chosun Youtube account in the spoiler bar:

Spoiler

• 2 months later...

I started almost at the end of episode 5, by chance I ended up coming across a clip on Facebook and oooph instantly HOOKED! After watching 3 episodes I’ve decided I neeeed to go back and watch 1 to the beginning of 5! 

Archived