[Drama 2020] Mystic Pop Up Bar, 쌍갑포차

0ly40

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Arcbow said:

I wish there will be season 2 but kang bae power (or curse?) already gone.

so, I love how this drama end.

I can wait . Maybe, two years later KB will turn more hunky than Song Joong-ki. KB power can always be revived with some frivolous reason.

BTW, i  agreed the editing for the last episode  really sucked. I don't understand the segment where the guest stars appeared. And I don't understand why the spirit of the sacred tree couldn't manifest to save KB.

.....going to watch ep.1 again.

Annyeong ^^

Logged in to leave my two cents :D

This isn't a drama that I usually watch but I decided to give a go because of the press conference photo where they put a SungJae's photo standee there. Thought that was somehow really funny yet thoughtful.

It surprisingly turned out to be a hilarious and wise drama. Society issues and life lesson are portrayed into a such a funny way that made me cry and laugh. 

And I'm glad I didn't drop it because when I watched ep1 I thought I must have been in the wrong drama because wasn't it supposed to be something with a bar?! Why are we in joseon era LOL  super confused but happy to have continued otherwise, what a gem of drama I would have missed :) 

@flake omg exactly I didn’t know what to expect as I didn’t read anything or watch the trailer. I fell through the rabbit hole abs just finished the drama.

Well worth the effort. Great send off for Yook Sungjae last project before military. Loved his chemistry with the OTP.

HJE as WJ wardrobe with her gorgeous hanboks was a nice touch.

So much in my mind but glad to get the ending we did! Grateful!

Spoiler

Unlike the recent mess of ending with Born Again! Uggh felt bad for the actors! Really disappointed!

I love how the convo here went from the finale episode to Hwang Jung-eum's next drama to binyeo real quick :lol:

Just dropping by to say that this is my favorite scene in the finale:

Spoiler

EbcPl0pVcAEoAE_?format=jpg&name=small

EbcPl0gU8AELXPA?format=jpg&name=small

Because yass to female characters doing the rescuing instead haha

I kind of agree though that Yeo-rin/Cinnabar could have had more moments but guess, they wanted to focus on the family more.

As for Hwang Jung-eum, she's actually great here. Her dramas are okay if you like rom-coms but I think her last three characters were too similar to each other so her role as Weol-ju was a very much welcome change.

I'll definitely miss Sung-jae :tears: Hope he'll get good roles again after his military service. And I know it's hard for K-actors to work together again in a drama but I really like him and Jung Da-eun to be in another series again. That girl is good. Will definitely be looking out for her next project.

On 6/26/2020 at 4:13 AM, corey said:

Really? He's been playing psychopaths? The only drama I saw him in was Hwarang, and that was a nice role  _ would have never thought that otherwise he is type-cast as a psychopath...

He played a psychopath in Hello Monster (that Seo In-guk/Jang Nara drama) and he was so effective portraying that character that I couldn't erase that image of him from my mind. And that's even after watching other dramas where he played the nice guy.

On 6/26/2020 at 9:46 PM, Blizzardistkaputt said:

I can wait . Maybe, two years later KB will turn more hunky than Song Joong-ki. KB power can always be revived with some frivolous reason.

BTW, i  agreed the editing for the last episode  really sucked. I don't understand the segment where the guest stars appeared. And I don't understand why the spirit of the sacred tree couldn't manifest to save KB.

.....going to watch ep.1 again.

Hmm maybe KB has to be unconscious before the sacred tree spirit would manifest ? The same way that Cinnabar would only be seen if Yeo Rin were asleep....

I find it interesting that power that the Sacred Tree gave to Kangbae is the power to have others reveal their worries to him, which is a power that severely assisted WJ in accomplishing her goal.  It is almost as if the Sacred Tree was trying to ensure that WJ fulfills her mission so it can be free.

Or...it might be that KB's power is not a manifestation of the Sacred Tree but instead it comes from his mother. His mother has the power to speak to spirits in their dream...KB might have inherited part of her power to communicate with others. The Sacred Tree might have just enhanced his power since birth...and when the grudge was resolved,  his enhanced power has diminished but it hasn't disappeared (as hinted with his encounter with a lady in the supermarket...when she was staring at him and wanted to speak to him as he ran away). This mean...it might not be the last adventure for this lovable trio. 

Finally...I love how WJ's grudge was the last grudge that helps her fulfill her mission. Her mission started due to her grudge...and it ended due to the resolution of her grudge. It brings her whole story in a full circle. 

Hi All!

Finally managed to finish the drama last night.

omg! Glad I saw this drama. HJE is usually alright (but here she shined) but the men were great and YR! 

As mentioned before, her fusion hanboks gorgeous! I admit the green one was sexy , daringly showing off her shoulders! All styles and looks , I loved them! :poledance:

@0timelost I liked you mention about KB and the Tree of Life connection . Very cool observations.Yes, KB using his life pain /traumas to help his mom fulfilling her trials to solve the last few grudges to reach 100,000 was brilliant. When WJ realizes it, she doesn’t feel so good. But appreciated they could spend time together。:hooray2:

@kmsl @corey Yup YR kicking awesomeness the bad guys. She totally was the boss saying I got to protect my man. Total woman crush here!!!!!!!!!!:sparklyeyes: Totally love her confidence and awesome fighting skills to good use! 

Also seeing GW shine in the action fight scenes ! He looked so handsome , dashing and cool! I love the actor and glad he got a lead male role here! Also the scene he put the ring on her finger! Omg that scene change showing their younger selves so sweet. Or how he found out KB was their son. Wow!

I must admit HJE is a pretty crier! I look like a mess unlike her! The scene with the cinnabar solving her grudge with sweets, friends and drinks! Awesomeness! Being alone rots! But friends help you through! Loved it! Cue crazy dancing and singing noraebang scene! I enjoyed sweets was full of afternoon cake type of sweets. Glad mama WJ assured her KB will be good for YR. Go root for your son!:ok:

Cuteness skinship cuteness overload by YR and KB- loved it!:happyshakes:I am glad that WJ helped YR/Cinnabars grudge.

Dang GW & WJ , both sacrificing themselves was sad but also satisfying as they wanted to fulfill their grudges etched deep in their hearts for 500 yrs. GW not protecting his love and WJ regretting killing her child unbeknownst to her taking her own life unhappy thinking she had nothing to live for!

KB looked like a boss and so handsome when the Tree of Life overtook him. Again going to miss YSJ when he serves the military. I loved how he was down low grossed out finding out WJ and GW dated in the past. So when he saw GW sucking WJ’s cut finger in concern was intimate and overboard. Lol. :what!: The look of sadness realizing last meal with WJ and GW. His touched look seeing the food made by WJ and post it note on his fridge. But really loved his look of happiness seeing GW and WJ back in business at the end.:heartxoxo:

I loved the lessons they try to teach - every action has a reaction and does affect you in your life! Appreciated that in the drama on life lesson tidbits to the viewers was well done. They can seem trite but they are important words!

Going to miss this drama & Yook Sungjae. 

22 hours ago, corey said:

Yes, I loved that too. As I said, I only wish Yeo Rin had more screen time in the finale and a scene with her former love  interest to vent some anger. A nice kick in the butt would be nice too.

Aaaand, I just cannot resist showing of a bit - the translation in the subs "my man" is not literal - YR said 남 친 (namchin) which is short for 남자 친구 (namja chingu) which is - boyfriend. Same thing, of course. :D

Also @kmsl, was this show Hello monster any good? I am looking for soemthing to watch.

It was a thrill to watch! That's actually one of my fave K-dramas that year. I think you'll like it if you're into mystery thriller series. The actors are all good. DO and Park Bo-gum were there too.

48 minutes ago, Nodame said:

KB looked like a boss and so handsome when the Tree of Life overtook him. Again going to miss YSJ when he serves the military. I loved how he was down low grossed out finding out WJ and GW dated in the past. So when he saw GW sucking WJ’s cut finger in concern was intimate and overboard. Lol. :what!: 

I laughed a lot at Kang-bae's reaction. I think his mind went on imagining things he shouldn't have haha.

Speaking of imagines, the dream scene with them being a happy ordinary fam got me :tears:

@kmsl omg Yes that is so true ! I enjoyed KB daydream of them being a family! Given he has a tough life suffering as a reincarnation of WJ son, he still is a sweetie pie! It was bittersweet seeing mom being WJ doting but loving . GW as dad loafing around on the sofa :foodie2:and playing video games together with KB. Then seeing KB stellar grades with a war on who KB resembles lol! Is it dad or mom? Aigoo chum, :happy:

Hello KB welcome time to the pervy minds in the gutter club, I cannot blame KB! Here he is thinking WJ and GW are close bickering friends. :hwaiting:

I was emotional af at that moment. Like this could have been their reincarnated life if not for the misfortunes in their past life.

Oh well, the new normal they had in the end was still satisfying. Although I couldn't help but think that since Gwi and WJ remained immortal, they'll gonna be seeing KB get old and those stuff haha

32 minutes ago, Ave Joe said:

Ah ... I'm just curious...does anyone know the name of the magical drink that Weol Ju uses to induce sleep ?

they call it Ssanggapju (is this correct romanized version tho? haha if not, please correct me :sweatingbullets:)

I am finally catching up on this drama. And it really is such a delightful, heartwarming piece of television. I wished I had been a far more active participant on this thread when it was airing. I didn't really believe Choi Won-young would take on a role just to be Weol-ju's offsider and true enough he does have a very specific skill set. The shape shifting thing he does is very cool. It does make you wonder quite a lot if Manager Gwi isn't the Crown Prince from all those years ago. I always wondered about the Prince and his role in her situation. It seems more and more the case that he volunteered to be Weol-ju's assistant than was actually forced to. The scene where he says to Death that it's too soon to return suggests to me that he really does care about her. But there is something quite swoony about Manager Gwi even if he is a badass spirit chaser.

I love our trio that's possibly becoming more of a quartet in time to come. I am rather behind but I hope things progress between Gang-bae and Yeo-rin. The role reversal is very cute.

One more thing... I wonder what the Korean word that's been translated into "grudge" by Netflix is. Because it seems to me that "grudge" isn't quite the right English word... these cases seem to be more like "grievances" which is a far more all-encompassing word than "grudge".

@40somethingahjumma Welcome to the group! I joined myself late before finale week just last week myself! :heythere:

Enjoy the ride! I love Choi Won Young (always had a crush on him). He will have his moments to shine!! :sparklyeyes:

Keep up your line of thinking, if you are not reading our prior posts to spoil the story.  You are ok on the right track. :fiercebunny:

I agree KB and YR were a charming couple with the typical stereotype norms were reversed in their courtship story. :whee!!: Will they sail into the sunset? Let’s just say they will have a bumpy ride. 

I wonder grudge is in Korean . Good question. 

Whoever wrote the script has a wildly amusing imagination. The world-building is insane but hilariously so. The anachronistic mish-mash of the ancient and the modern is a lot of fun. The idea of heaven as some big corporation is very funny here. As is the reincarnation court. Despite the budgetary constraints I personally think this is a far better developed show than A Korean Odyssey

I'm glad that they're giving us some titbits about the Weol-ju/Crown Prince romance. Looks like there are long-term ramifications yet to play out in contemporary times.

I can see why Choi Won-young is having a ball here. The chicken thing is just out of the world.

@Nodame Thanks for the welcome. I was here a couple of weeks ago but got caught up in Hospital Playlist business. I'm up to Episode 7 now.

No I haven't read too many spoilers.  ;)

@40somethingahjumma Your welcome! I watched 1-9 in 2 days after work in time to watch ep 10 irl the next night. It was great to not have to watch weekly lol! :eats:

I did love the mish mash but I did not watch Korean Odyssey . I love WJ hanboks, GW was always in the kitchen and I admit I was hoping to see him in action! I def definitely  sensed there was more than meets the eye, he was so gung ho to help her. Plus he was a top detective. Instead spending his days taking WJ orders to buy groceries and cook etc while waiting for customers and assist in fulfilling grudges.

I loved how YR helped KB against that horrible CEO she was protecting she couldn’t stomach his lack of ethics though he was paying her handsomely. I applaud she did it despite getting blacklisted in the private bodyguard biz. I loved she was so cool in her suit and looking like a BOSS to boot.

The trio are cute with the grim reaper checking in and loving their food. I did enjoy their chemi. As the flashbacks of WJ past 500 yrs ago and forth to modern times was well done. But what she believed was it really the truth? Are there secrets she is not aware of? Always two sides to every story and this of course is no exception.

Continue to enjoy! :selfie:

Spoiler

I too was majorly addicted to Hospital Playlist! From when they announced the writers and cast I was all about it! I resorted to watching fan YT videos while waiting each week even if they had no subs. My korean is ok not great thanks to years of drama watching !

I was happy btw with the sailing of Wintergarden! Thank JW /the actor played Chilbong finally got the gal! :ilike:I was giddy and happy at seeing the KISS!

Even for the recent Fathers Soompi contest I wrote of Ikjun and Uju too! There are many great submissions but I couldn’t resist sharing my love of their lovely father son relationship. :dontwanna:

I binge-watched the rest of the episodes today and finished the series. I"m really taking to the 12-episode format. It's obvious how fillery a lot of dramas are and this might be the answer to a lot of problems that many shows not just rom coms have.

I was engaged by this drama from start to finish. It was a ball. It drew hodge podge from various religious traditions -- Buddhist and Taoist -- often times in satirical and humorous fashion. References to the Jade Emperor reminded me of Journey to the West. The best thing about it is that it didn't take itself too seriously and yet still managed to tug at the heart strings. It's delightful that these 3 people who came together and became a family was in actual fact a family. The casting of the 3 leads was a masterstroke. I've always liked Choi Won-young and he's usually a baddie or grey character in the shows that I've seen him in: I Remember You, Twenty Again, Nokdu Flower, Doctor Prisoner etc but this is really my favourite role of his now, surpassing I Remember You/Hello Monster (a tragically underrated drama). I also enjoyed his chemistry with Hwang Jung-eum and Yook Sung-jae. The three of them worked really well together. Gang-bae and Yeo-rin's romance was also adorable. I'm really enjoying what the cable stations are doing with female leads at the moment.

Another thing that the show did well was the integration of the Joseon backstory with the modern day cases with the corporatization of the Afterlife. Underneath the wackiness is a very moving love story. A case in point. The X-Rated Romeo and Juliet love story had me in stitches but it also cleverly paralleled Weol-ju and the Crown Prince's love story. Both of which were incorporated into the grievance of the week. Each episode has multiple layers of things going on and the format kept things disciplined and tight.

It's such a pity that good dramas like these stay in the fringes. This one deserves a lot more attention than it's been given.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:14 PM, 40somethingahjumma said:

One more thing... I wonder what the Korean word that's been translated into "grudge" by Netflix is. Because it seems to me that "grudge" isn't quite the right English word... these cases seem to be more like "grievances" which is a far more all-encompassing word than "grudge".

Based on my poor Korean listening skills, Yeomradewang used the word 'han' during that "sentencing" scene with Wol-ju. It's grudge in Korean but I agree "grievances" or probably resentment would capture what they actually meant.

(This is kind of off-topic but :omg: you also like Hello Monster!!!)

--------------------------------------------

MPub series review :D:

https://ahjummamshies.wordpress.com/2020/06/30/k-drama-reaction-mystic-pop-up-bar-series-review/

Archived