[Drama 2020] Mystic Pop Up Bar, 쌍갑포차

0ly40

i really love ep11... everything falls back into its rightful position nicely!

when the loud voice thundering "let her go!" i thought it was Captain Gwi... the reappearance of KB with the magma glow was totally awesome!! :evillaugh: i was expecting YR to be the one countering WH.. i din expect it's the son/tree who is here to rescue WJ :kicks:

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, corey said:

Also - I think Yeo Rin in hanbok looked just awesome!

I believe female hanbok is not the most flattering attire, as it hides your waist, but for Yeo Rin - she looked better in hanbok than in modern clothing.

And the "fusion" clothing worn by Weol Ju! Printed blouses inspired by hanbok, crinoline-like skirts in bright colours,  all of this paired with socks and tennis shoes. I think the clothes designer for this show really had fun :D

The girls really looked fabulous in their modern hanbok. But they must have really suffered wearing hanbok in such a cold winter.  ohhh for the sake of vanity, all things are possible.

I really ROTFL  whenever the Cinnabar spirit appeared. Why does she have to sound so uncouth like her prospective MIL and grand MIL?

2 hours ago, sadthe1st said:

i really love ep11... everything falls back into its rightful position nicely!

when the loud voice thundering "let her go!" i thought it was Captain Gwi... the reappearance of KB with the magma glow was totally awesome!! :evillaugh: i was expecting YR to be the one countering WH.. i din expect it's the son/tree who is here to rescue WJ :kicks:

Hahahaha I was so impressed with this scene!!!! And the scene where KB stands at the sacred tree is like WOOOOOO first time I found him hot in all of the 11 episodes HAHAHAHA.

And I was super loving KB's reaction when he saw Chief Gwi sucking (wait sounds wrong) on WJ's bleeding finger. Hahahaha sooooo funny! Episode 11 is so good because we are seeing all these different sides of the characters!!!!

YR is absolutely adorable as Cinnabar. I can't believe she used to love WH. And WH have not seen her face to face yet right? I hope YR beats the crap out of him (even if KB has already done it, WH deserves double beating). Jung Da Eun has found a new fan in me! I super love her eyes too!

I hope the capturing WH would be a strong enough reason for Yeomradaewang to not put Chief Gwi in hell. All is going so well so far I cannot imagine the heartbreak WJ will go through after knowing what Chief Gwi has done for her. Sacred tree, Cinnabar, everybody please do something!!!

49 minutes ago, fluffyloaf said:

I hope the capturing WH would be a strong enough reason for Yeomradaewang to not put Chief Gwi in hell.

this is a very good suggestion! :hypehype: i'm hoping for Jade Emperor to come and reward the whole team instead of relying on Yeomradaewang haha if she can't make a good firm decision, then escalate all the way up to the highest authority :handsup:

2 hours ago, corey said:

Here are the very few K-Dramas which I really like (not "half-like" or "sort of like" - really like). Forgive me if you have already watched them and please do not hate me if you don't like them. Recommending can be a tricky thing :D

@corey Hey !! Defintely not! I won't hate you ! Please dont think this way!! I mean everyone have their own preferences, and it shouldn't be blamed solely on an individual? I am glad you replied my request, and yes i have watched some of your recommendations :) And yes like you said, recommendation is a tricky thing and you'll be the last person i'ld hate for it !

Anw, I love NETFLIX, they uploaded the last episode rather quickly. I loved the ending :) i feel so touched by the finale somewhat ! I am glad the heavens gave WJ & CP their happy ending they deserve and of course happy ending for KB & YR. Such a healing drama, i am  so moveddd ! How am i supposed to move on from this show :cold_sweat:

I've just finished the drama by frantically fast forwarding. Finally, a happy ending.
I love the ending and how our lovely trio got back together. They well deserve what they got after 500 years of struggle. However, I somehow feel that it's a bit rushed :blink:. Some parts could definitely be made better, and I need more sweet scenes (about 30 seconds of it in the actual episode if I'm not mistaken :tears:). Anyway, writer nim did his best with only 12 episodes given.

I will remember this drama for sure. It's a lighthearted combination of comedy, romance and life lessons. We can't run away from the karma we created, but as a human, we have freewill to change it, and decide our own destiny.

I'm gonna rewatch the last episode again (without fast forwarding of course). 
This is the first drama that got me join Soompi. Gonna miss you guys very much. :wub:

@thistle, you were right. Her last case was Kang Bae. I’m glad they chose to come back to the realm of the living and continue their bar.

As to the villain, I liked what WJ told him in the spiral staircase. He was absolutely without remorse and instead of reflecting on what he did wrong he decided to put all his hatred into revenge and killing innocent people. His father admitted to neglecting him but who turns into a rebel and murderer just because their father was inattentive? There are less notorious ways in which he could have acted. I’m just glad his actions were not excused because I just can’t see how someone can turn from a kind person into a heinous villain just because his father neglected him. 

2 hours ago, thistle said:

Happy Ending!  I woke up really late this morning and the episode was already posted so I skipped right to the very end to see what happened.  :D  Now I can go enjoy our finale. :wub:

we all did the same the moment we have access to the episode .......First and foremost, we skiiiiippped to the last 3 minutes.

The way KB saved mum is soooooo cool:happy:.

How did they make every episode so funny ?

Hi All! Saving to watch both episode together 11 and 12! But here for any hints/videos and recaps.

@thistle Glad to see you here. Yup I agree other than Kill Me Heal Me, she does tend to go overboard on her ROMCOM roles.  Also a recent drama face palm --I agree. I did watch HJE other roles til the end due to the other actors. But I was on the fence for this drama until I spent 2 days to go from 1-10 last week, I liked YSJ and the actor who plays GW.

Spoiler

I loved the actors Lee Soo Hyuk and Jang Ki Young but OMG Born AGAIN ---I did watch the whole thing. Dang the writer nim at the last arc--if it were not I was watching live, I SHOULD have given it up. I Just like both male actors. Def FACE PALM and like WTF here for sure. 

I cannot wait to see these two episodes tonight. I have 3 hours and 12 minutes til quitting time. LOL.

I’m going to miss this show so so much. Who would have knew it would deliver every aspect so well. The storytelling, afterlife world building, script, characterizations, directing, CGI effects and most importantly, the wonderful acting of our 4 leads. They fitted their role so so perfectly. 

I still remember starting this show out of sheer boredom and getting hooked by the 2nd episode. Didn’t even know Sung Jae beforehand and now I’m a fan! He’s got such immense acting potential. Can’t believe how well he played an earnest bumbling boy so lovably!! Yeorin too, played her role so so well. And needless to say, our 2 veterans hit it out of the park. Their subtle emotions and pain were so believable, and their comedic timing were perfect. They totally deserve all the love, I only wished this drama was more well known because I am 99% sure that anyone who chose to watch it would have loved it. 

The last episode brought tears, and despite it being a “comedy” I can’t help but feel they intentionally wanted the final episode to be heavier, more pensive and more touching, as opposed to doing fan-service feel good scenes. As much as I would have loved more cute scenes (they were probably the least in an episode of all the 12 episodes), but I can see it was necessary for this to happen to evoke heart-rending moments that showed us the bond between the trio. 

I’m not even a comedy drama fan, but this is hands down one of the best K-dramas I’ve watched, because it gave us so much more than comedy. Most importantly, it gave us heart. :heart2:

Episode 12 recap is out!!!

https://wp.me/p4EscY-2fA

What an AMAZING ride this has been!

12 minutes ago, The Reel Life said:

The last episode brought tears, and despite it being a “comedy” I can’t help but feel they intentionally wanted the final episode to be heavier, more pensive and more touching, as opposed to doing fan-service feel good scenes. As much as I would have loved more cute scenes (they were probably the least in an episode of all the 12 episodes), but I can see it was necessary for this to happen to evoke heart-rending moments that showed us the bond between the trio. 

I’m not even a comedy drama fan, but this is hands down one of the best K-dramas I’ve watched, because it gave us so much more than comedy. Most importantly, it gave us heart. :heart2:

^^ THIS!!!! The ending was so poignant and well-deserved and if anything that lack of cute scenes somehow made it more so. Almost as if the show meant to drive home just how much sorrow it took to get to this point. I honestly really really loved the show!

Please sign my campaign to get Choi Wonyoung (Manager Gui) lead roles, this man is criminally underrated and I can't believe he's been stuck playing psychopaths for so long lol. 

This was a good drama. I will miss it. It was heart warming, from the world build up to the character arcs...I am very thankful that I picked up this little precious drama. All the actors did so well. Glad that I stuck to it.

So so glad we got a happy ending for this lovely gem of a drama and our trio/family.  I'm glad I gave this chance as it turned out to be such a pleasure to watch. This is the first drama I've watched with Yook Sung Jae and I am now a fan. looking forward to his post-service dramas.

Yeomradaewang was also an awesome character. I really enjoyed the deities we met in this drama and would like to meet more.  This is one of the few K-dramas I think could comfortably accommodate a Season 2.

18 hours ago, Eli Hoang said:

I've just finished the drama by frantically fast forwarding. Finally, a happy ending.
I love the ending and how our lovely trio got back together. They well deserve what they got after 500 years of struggle. However, I somehow feel that it's a bit rushed :blink:. Some parts could definitely be made better, and I need more sweet scenes (about 30 seconds of it in the actual episode if I'm not mistaken :tears:). Anyway, writer nim did his best with only 12 episodes given.

I will remember this drama for sure. It's a lighthearted combination of comedy, romance and life lessons. We can't run away from the karma we created, but as a human, we have freewill to change it, and decide our own destiny.

I'm gonna rewatch the last episode again (without fast forwarding of course). 
This is the first drama that got me join Soompi. Gonna miss you guys very much. :wub:

I agree. It was a good episode but I found the pacing a bit off and the editing disjointed in places.  I think it might also be because I find scenes with WH boring as he was such an uninteresting villain so i just wanted to get past his scenes. Also not sure how Chief Gwi came back but-whatever- I'm just glad that he did!

Just loved the entire series...It was my first Kdrama that I managed to finish in the last  4 months.. (My longest drama slump ever). So it is special for me.

I was a crying mess when Gwibanjang died..and it was similar in the case of Wol -Ju. Kang Yeo -rin was such a badass while protecting her man. Her acting as the reincarnation of a stone was spot on. The ending was really sweet with a happy ending for all of the good characters.

Great lessons to be learnt from this drama cause although on the surface it may appear comedic and light-hearted but it is actually deep. All of them had great chemistry.. I must say this drama is really underrated and should have got higher ratings. It had its flaws but which drama hasn't..It is one of a kind. My first time watching HJE and she indeed has great comic timing.

Sungjae 's performance was really good. However Choi Won Young was at another level. This man needs to be casted in lead roles.

55 minutes ago, elsanna said:

Yayy happy ending:dorashakes:but I am really confused what happened to that contract which was signed by GB:crazymad: anyway I enjoyed the show very much and was praying every second while watching... please God let it be Happy ending

Hahaha yes I think that was totally not clarified!!!

But other than that I super loved that it wrapped up nicely. Was hoping that WH and his dad's grudge could have been wrapped up too but unfortunately WH was unrepentant to the last moment.

The final episode had a lot of great CG scenes and it made me felt like I was playing some RPG. I had a lot of appreciation for the creativity of the scenes. KB kicking WH out of Death's body. GBJ and WH's fight scene and the teleportish blink throughs. When GBJ was fighting with the group of evil spirits (which later YR came along with a more normal sort of gift scene but still good). I really enjoyed how they designed scenes in the dream realm and afterlife as well like the spiral staircase and previously we saw the door on a cliff as well as the door to KB's vision of spirits. The dock from afterlife to the living realm. Wow just too many.

I like how YR was all like, "I'm here to fight for my man." Her character is way too cool. Hahaha I could only wish for longer episodes to see more of her character.

They closed the ending off with a sweet little message on touching the heavens and changing fate which is really what I like about the show. This show might not be over the top complex or deeply poignant but it has balanced bringing in meaningful messages with a sense of humour making this a light-hearted but rewarding watch. This is one of those shows I can see myself revisiting again in the future.

finished ep12 over my lunch break... i must admit these last few episodes got me a little teary...

my heart fell when the dragon saber pierced through Chief Gwi... and then, he disintegrated... :crybaby: then the part where KB held on to WJ's hand refusing to let her go and calling her omma... and finally, the heartwarming scene when WJ reunite with Chief Gwi in Yeomradaewang's office :heart3: i'm so relieved that Samsin is such a true friend not giving up and sending petitions to continue the search for WJ in the darkness.

Spoiler

not much of a fan for HJE with her roles in Heal Me, Heal Me and She Was Pretty... but this Mystic Pop Up Bar really changed my impression of her!

CWY has several dramas with very successful supporting roles and he can be a big bad wolf.. no i mean, villain too! i remembered watching 3 days very long time ago and i was getting angry with his character haha

agreed with @Eli Hoang @raziela here that ep12 story flow is a bit offbeat... WJ is supposed to be one strong woman with huge punches and kicks, but here we are seeing her all lost, weak and woobly when facing WH... those scenes where WJ and Chief Gwi went desperately in search of the 100,000th person seem to waste a bit of screen time... and what happened to YR after WJ and Chief Gwi went to the warehouse to rescue KB? hmm.. so while WJ is still lost in darkness, she was educating and reprimanding phone scammers? :emmm:

https://zapzee.net/2020/06/26/hwang-jung-eum-shows-her-affection-for-her-character-wol-joo-from-mystic-pop-up-bar/
Hwang Jung Eum Shows Her Affection for Her Character Wol Joo from ‘Mystic Pop-Up Bar’

by krishkim | images: JTBC

0A438ABF-863B-4E06-9AB2-BCF499179C87.jpg

Hwang Jung Eum expressed her feelings about the end of Mystic Pop-Up Bar, which was well-received by viewers.

Mystic Pop-Up Bar tells the story of Wol Joo, a tough auntie from the underworld, Chief Gwi, and human part-timer Han Kang Bae listening to and solving the problems of the customers. It is receiving much love in many countries, including Malaysia, Singapore, Japan, Thailand, the Philippines, and Hong Kong, remaining in Netflix’s Top 10 charts.

Hwang Jung Eum played the role of Wol Joo, who is on the mission to relieve the guests’ resentments, drawing both laughter and tears. She gave courage and consolation to the viewers by providing warm comforts to those who have heartbreaking stories and penetrating blows to those who like to power-trip.

DED1F34B-1B01-4A2B-8471-D5BBF4131235.jpg

Q1. How do you feel about the end of the drama?

A1. It was such a warm drama that I felt a deep afterglow after filming it, but watching the drama again, I felt another sense of happiness. Thanks to everyone’s hard work, we were able to shoot in a pleasant atmosphere. Also, I was so happy to be able to play a unique character. I sincerely thank the viewers.

Q2. What kind of person is Wol Joo to Hwang Jung Eum?

A2. Wol Joo is a righteous character who is strong in front of the powerful and affectionate in front of the weak. I tried to express the emotions of Wol Joo, who had lived with sadness in her heart for 500 years, realistically yet in a fun way.

Q3. What messages does Mystic Pop-Up Bar want to deliver?

A3. In episode 4, there is a line that says, “So everyone needs to get a hold of themselves and live a good life. When I say something kind and help someone wholeheartedly, it comes back to me one day.” Like this line, it conveys the message that every little action of mine comes back to me. Let’s live with a good and kind heart, I think there was this lesson in every episode.

2FAC5ADB-1138-4C50-8638-DC69EE367B40.jpg

Q4. With the release on Netflix, the drama has received a lot of positive responses from overseas fans. It shows many Korean elements, such as cart bar and hanbok fashion.

A4. The fate and relationship that cross the world of life are people’s interests, even if the culture and languages are different. After agonizing with the stylist team about how to portray the character of Wol Joo well, I got to wear a lot of modern–style hanbok. It was very different from my usual style, so it felt fresh and fun.

Q5. Why did you challenge the fantasy drama?

A5. It’s true that I was attracted to Wol Joo’s story and charms, but the fact that it unraveled the different worlds that ordinary people do not know was very attractive to me.

Q6. Any last words for viewers?

A6. I’d like to say thank you once again to everyone who watched Mystic Pop-Up Bar. I heard that many people were comforted through Wol Joo. You all are living the life of gap (the one who holds power). I hope everyone thinks positively and confidently and lives a happy life believing that I make my own world.

Source (1)

4 hours ago, elsanna said:

Yayy happy ending:dorashakes:but I am really confused what happened to that contract which was signed by GB:crazymad: anyway I enjoyed the show very much and was praying every second while watching... please God let it be Happy ending

Hmm i guess it became...

Spoiler

null and void since he died before the contract was fulfilled ? But that's just an idea. =)

It was very satisfying to get such an ending amidst the pandemic. I just wished they ironed some

Spoiler

context on how Yeomradaewang was able to "summon" Guibanjang just like that...But I'm grateful that she did haha

Archived