[Drama 2020] Hyena 하이에나

larus

8 hours ago, Ameera Ali said:

he unlucky with woman 

Thanks for that gifs. It was one of my favorite moments. Funny.

He can`t escape her. :lol:

40 minutes ago, partyon said:

A pit to throw evidence into when a case requirWith the amount of corruption and dirty games our lawyers are playing, I guess that fireplace would come in handy.... ;)  

Who knows? We`ll find out if it plays an important part. :D

13 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

Not sure if I completely agree with JGJ's methods, but so far, they're entertaining and I can understand why she resorts to them to survive the small versus big fish environment.

No, her methods are not pleasant but there is no other way she can survive. If she plays nice, she will stay poor. As I said in my early post, I felt her desperation in the Karaoke scene. I prefer this "crazy" approach like "I can`t get more lower than that" than all men in suits standing still in front of the "master". I think Yoon Hee-Jae has more to lose than Geum Ja so their "competition game" will be very interesting.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, larus said:

No, her methods are not pleasant but there is no other way she can survive. If she plays nice, she will stay poor. As I said in my early post, I felt her desperation in the Karaoke scene. I prefer this "crazy" approach like "I can`t get more lower than that" than all men in suits standing still in front of the "master". I think Yoon Hee-Jae has more to lose than Geum Ja so their "competition game" will be very interesting.

I agree. It was evident on several occasions in ep 2 that Geum Ja felt uncomfortable. Not only in the karaoke scene, but also in the scene she was called to with the passed out lady. It seemed that in her heart she knew how unethical and dirty the world in which these rich people were living in was. It was almost like she felt disgust not only towards them, but also towards herself for allowing herself to be sucked into that world.

I don't think it's mere coincidence that her slogan is "Iron will, sincere heart". I think that we might be in for a plot reversal at some point down the line, where the "sincere heart" will become the focus.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

While the scene of GJ being the clown or joker at that high roller party was meant to be funny and all , but I felt really sad for her...how low and how much pride does one have to swallow just to make those big bucks. I do think she felt uneasy but she knows this is the only way up. So why does she keep staring at that building and that people find her weird for doing it? Is it the thing that keeps her motivated ? As in she wishes to own that building?

Looks like the battlefield that is set in the war between Yoon and GJ will revolve around the power struggle between the siblings of the Issuem group.   I just love how they both try to outsmart the other for a share of this big pie...while GJ clearly won yesterday with her fake romance , Yoon made it even again at the end of today's episode. I really like it when they both share the screen. 

I got my mum to watch this as well...and she is now dying for the next episode like me :lol:

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Talking about fire, did anyone notice the fireplace looking thing in Yoon Hae Jee's home?

What is that?

Honestly I didn't  notice till you brought it up...I was actually rather distracted by his sweater...like whose idea was it to  wear  this??? @Ameera Ali he's trying to challenge GJ in seeing who can be the worst dress :joy:

q9VOkqw.png&key=b3676ead9d655a40615ccb94

41 minutes ago, triplem said:

Honestly I didn't  notice till you brought it up...I was actually rather distracted by his sweater...like whose idea was it to  wear  this??? he's trying to challenge GJ in seeing who can be the worst dress :joy:

Yes, that sweater is....what.... Geum Ja would wear.:lol:
To be honest, I prefer this look on him....  :sweat_smile:

Spoiler

9d1bceeb507068ab12d209ceacfe297236869793

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

7 hours ago, partyon said:

Not only in the karaoke scene, but also in the scene she was called to with the passed out lady. It seemed that in her heart she knew how unethical and dirty the world in which these rich people were living in was. It was almost like she felt disgust not only towards them, but also towards herself for allowing herself to be sucked into that world.

When she saw the woman who protested with that banner I got the impression that she got her courage up to talk to her. Like she prepared to play a role in front of her. Of course that she played the devil and convinced the woman that it is the best to swallow her pride and take the money. But, in a way, she was right. It is hard to fight with those rich people even when you have the truth on your part. This way she gain something for that woman and Geum ja gained brownie points with her rich client.

5 hours ago, triplem said:

So why does she keep staring at that building and that people find her weird for doing it? Is it the thing that keeps her motivated ? As in she wishes to own that building?

I wanted to comment on that. What is with that building? She stared at that even when she was beaten like she has to look for her goal at the top of that building. Maybe we`ll find a connection with another chaarcter in this drama. Geum Ja had a tough life. Not only the abuse when she was a kid, but I suspect she face other dificulties in life. The scene in the karaoke was tragic-comedy. I felt that she had to swallow her pride as well, just like she advice the poor woman with the banner. Maybe she faced other humiliations in her life and now she can do it more easily because she can play now the role of woman with no shame.

4 hours ago, partyon said:

To be honest, I prefer this look on him..

Me too. Thank you for those scenes. :D

But I like him in the suit as well.

Hyena OST part 1

Yeo Eun - Hyena

I remember that I like Geum Ja`s cell phone ringtone. Is a part of this song? I am not sure.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Just watched episode 2. Pretty good.

15 hours ago, larus said:

I think Yoon Hee-Jae has more to lose than Geum Ja so their "competition game" will be very interesting.

I feel the same. This was more evident in 2. Between family dynamics and politics at the firm, he is shouldering quite a bit of pressure. It's no wonder he escapes and finds a sense of calm/peace alone at the bar. Maybe that's also why he was at the laundromat always so late at night as well. GJ maybe working out of a shabby office and sacrifices her pride to get ahead of the game, but she has the liberty to run her practice as she pleases.

14 hours ago, partyon said:

It was evident on several occasions in ep 2 that Geum Ja felt uncomfortable. Not only in the karaoke scene, but also in the scene she was called to with the passed out lady. It seemed that in her heart she knew how unethical and dirty the world in which these rich people were living in was. It was almost like she felt disgust not only towards them, but also towards herself for allowing herself to be sucked into that world.

Also, when she was trying to bait HJ again while on his date. Her partner said to her that at this rate, she'll win the double-crosser of the year award. It was meant to be funny, but you can see a bit of hurt in her eyes.

Their encounters are great. It's sweet how HJ was so worried about her being attacked (even nostalgic) yet he's completely unfazed in front of her face. With GJ, I sensed a bit of jealousy when her partner was going on and on about HJ's date. She kept one-upping herself. LOL. Am enjoying the competition, but also definitely curious to see who will be the first to lose the pokerface and show their feelings.

• Like 8

I must admit i was thrilled when they were even at end of ep2.  Whatever her back story was i just didn't like that she fooled him to steal the info that won her case. I believe he genuinely liked her.

In that scene where he was reminiscing about her i can't help notice that she looks like his noona.  

• Like 4

Loved the first 2 eps. Hope it keeps the momentum up.

KYS has nailed the role of JGJ. Maybe she makes an odd couple with the ML due to age difference but I don't think many actresses would've been able to portray the quick thinking, vicious, conniving, pragmatic, sensitive, tough-as-nails sleazy, go-getting, bottom-feeder who wants to have a respectable law firm in a high-rise and will do anything to get it, without coming across as vamps or complete b*****s. You cannot not root for her despite her unscrupulous methods. And I think if director wanted to make her look younger, she would've (as in the flashbacks for the great 'Signal') but she is supposed to look older (4 years older in dramaland), rough, street-smart start-up. In fact, her tough childhood makes her suggestion to that beaten up woman on the roadside very effective - she knows rich will find a way to screw poor or work the system to get off, so why not leverage a gain / benefit for the poor victim and make it a win-win in the real world for everybody. I think she's a good lawyer. 

The ML had great expressions for every whammy, so that was good too. And I noticed that he is said to get bored if women demand too much attention - well, JGJ won't give him any! It's also interesting that the laundromat woman he fell for (picture-perfect, quiet, soft spoken, laughing at his jokes, skirt-wearing, long-haired beauty) is nothing like the actual woman (cringe-worthy poor double crosser without scruples who wears suits and bites back verbally and physically!) ML is a shark but an idealistic shark. JGJ isn't idealistic at all. She is like a bull in a china shop! 

I bet that cheap vintage timepiece ML saw at her office has some emotional value to her, and is not some pawn shop sale item.

I don't want them to get together - the verbal sparring and cat and mouse game is too much fun! 

Is it just me or is South Korea experimenting with shaded, unconventional, morally grey, greedy women who get to have their cake too (Misty, 9.9 billion won woman and now Hyena)? 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 2

Hyena: Episodes 1-2 Open Thread

by missvictrix

HY1_1.jpg

Hyena has leapt onto our screens with a tale of sparring lawyers, but it looks like the story is going to be much more than clashing courtroom scenes. Our premiere week introduces a lot more layers to our story than I was expecting, especially when it comes to the entanglements between our leads. I’m not completely sure what sort of a story we’re going to get yet, but it’s clear that between the direction and the strength of the leads, this drama is in capable hands.

EPISODES 1-2 WEECAP

HY1_2.jpg

Hyena starts with a good look at our hero YOON HEE-JAE (Joo Ji-hoon). He’s dramaland’s typical hotshot attorney, and when we meet him he’s just won a huge case without even breaking a sweat. The only time he actually does break a sweat is when he’s doing his crossfit training, which gives us another confirmation of his go-getter personality — and acts as a bit of a lure in, too.

He’s the best and youngest partner at his firm, he cares more about rising to the top than the justice that’s at stake in the courtroom, and he’s as arrogant as he is successful. But why do I like him so much? Maybe because somewhere underneath all his pomp and glory, Hee-jae is also a total romantic?

morehttp://www.dramabeans.com/2020/02/hyena-episodes-1-2-open-thread/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hyena – K-Drama Episode 1 Recap & Review

The Long Con

Netflix’s latest Korean drama Hyena is a dramatic and character-driven dive into the world of law and lawyers. With two predominant lawyers going toe to toe with one another, Hyena sets the scene nicely here, peppering in some really stylish shots and editing along the way, but if you’re not into law dramas then this show is unlikely to change your mind.

Some of the content feels a little slow here too and Hyena itself looks like it may well be going down the episodic route, with different cases used to diversify the episodes while keeping the tense rivalry between Geum-Ja and Hee-Jae at the centre of it all.

Episode 1 of Hyena begins with a big political scandal but defence lawyer Hee-Jae isn’t worried. He defends his client with suave and throws back everything the prosecution has to say, telling the court his client Secretary Lee had nothing to do with this issue. It’s enough for the judge to rule in favour of the defence and sees Hee-Jae bring home another win for the law-firm Song&Kim.

Returning to HQ, we learn Hee-Jae is the youngest partner in the firm’s history and because of his successful case, he’s given Mr Ha’s divorce settlement to look over instead. He’ll now be working on that exclusively and in the evening, he heads to the laundromat and sees a beautiful girl. However, he decides to get to work on the case he’s got instead.

That evening Hee-Jae sits with Mr Ka and gives him his verdict and what he intends to do – he’ll get a former Judge on the team. After arrogantly making his exit, Hee-Jae returns to the laundromat where the mystery lady is there again. They get talking and he offers her an umbrella to leave with, especially as it’s pouring with rain and all the lights have gone out.

She rejects the offer, leaving him to stew over his thoughts and head out alone into the pouring rain.

At the law firm, Hee-Jae learns that the mystery woman is called Hee-Sun, proceeding to look her up and stalk her on social media. At dinner that evening, Hee-Sun shows up leading Hee-Jae to sit opposite her and they spar back and forth until she agrees to let him leave with her, walking away as the rest of the table sit in awe at his audacious (and successful) attempt at wooing her.

As we cut forward, we see a montage of their time together as they hit it off and appear to become romantically involved. It’s a beautiful date and one that ends with a gorgeous skyline and a magical kiss.

more https://www.thereviewgeek.com/hyena-e1review/

Hyena – K-Drama Episode 2 Recap & Review

Two Worlds Collide

Hyena returns with another slice of legal drama, entwined with the growing feud between Geum-Ja and Hee-Jae. Their chemistry is enough to keep things interesting but the show itself feels pretty slow moving, balancing out the characters and focusing strongly on the legal side of things. While the show is unlikely to ignite the Korean drama scene this year, there’s just enough here to make for an enjoyable enough watch.

Episode 2 of Hyena begins with Geum-Ja dropping the brick and instead phoning the police. As the man is brought in, they’re shocked to find him in a worse state than her, needing weeks of intensive surgery. Afterward, Geum-Ja stands outside, looking up at the towering office skyscraper before looking at her messages and noticing Hee-Jae sent her a message about the mugger.

It happens to be Hee-Jae’s father’s birthday and despite sitting with the group outside, he realizes that one among them is a judge and he becomes a little uncomfortable at the idea of blurring the line between work and play. Hee-Jae heads off alone to drink in a bar but Mr Ma shows up and immediately things get awkward.

more https://www.thereviewgeek.com/hyena-e2review/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

One thing that I really like in this drama is our strong female lead. Yeah, her methods might be questionable, but she is a fighter. She's smart and is ready to defend herself in any situation.

I really hope that her character portrayal of a fighter stays consistent throughout the drama.

PS. Now if we could also get a drama with a female executive / manager who is not a ruthless person in the office, I would be thankful.
More strong FL portrayals, please, dear k-drama writers.... ^_^ 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I feel rather conflicting about their love trap segment.  On one hand, I was feeling all dreamy seeing them together because they are sexy as hell and so sweet together.  (HJ cooking for GJ in his apron made me weak in the knees.)  I wanted it to be a serious romantic plot that would go on forever.  On the other hand, it was rather entertaining seeing how the show was making fun of the cliche romantic plot and followed the typical love story lines, making it obvious by having GJ wearing this super obviously fake wig that anyone could tell it was all a sham.  (It's either that or wigs are in fashion.)  The whole segment was like the type of short parodies that I love.

Anyways, so I get that HJ still loves GJ.  He reminisced about his fond memories with her and missed her terribly.  I could feel that loneliness seeing just him in his autumn themed sweater lost in the vastness of his upscale flat with the bbq grill firing in the back.  But I wasn't sure how GJ feels about HJ until she stalked him again.  He texted and warned her before her attack.  That was the least proper thing anyone could have done but to GJ, it may have felt sweet.  So she found the excuse to "use" him hence stalked him at his date.  For one, she got to see him again and two, she could check out his date and self assured that she was still a better catch.  And most importantly when things worked her ways, they would end up seeing each other more often.  In turn, HJ reacted and responded just as she thought he would because though they dated a short while, they grew to understand each other in an intimate level, just like that.  In short, he initiated with the text.  She responded by chasing after him which triggered him to chase after her.  Buckle your seat belt.  This is high level flirting style folks.  Don't try this at home.

Now looking at the preview, it looks like she will climb up the ladder real quick and ends up working with him at his firm.  Then she kisses him and they spend some quality time doing various scandalous things in the closet.  I can't wait to see that.  I live for this type of scandalous romance.  *shift brows up and down* 

• Like 5
  • LOL 2
  • Insightful 1

Stills

20200227001118398_1.jpg

How does 'Hyena' Kim Hye-su face the counterattack by Yoo Ji-Hoon?

In the play, the political ruler and Yoon Hee-jae made a strong impression, like a hyena, who rushes for his victory rather than justice. A financier who does anything to make money. Yun Hee-jae was caught in a trap of such a ruler. Yoon Hee-jae's last two endings, which did not stand still and attacked, announced the beginning of the war and raised expectations for the next broadcast.
At the same time, the two people who continue the fireworks war are attracted by an interesting relationship such as Tom and Jerry.

http://www.asiatoday.co.kr/view.php?key=20200227001118398

She look elegant. She will work at Yoon Hae Jae`s law firm? Many opporunities to see each other, to know more about each other and why not work together in some cases. :D But until then, they will continue to outsmart the other.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, larus said:

She look elegant. She will work at Yoon Hae Jae`s law firm? Many opporunities to see each other, to know more about each other and why not work together in some cases. :D But until then, they will continue to outsmart the other

She does look elegant. As a dog lover, I like the pairing of her top underneath. I hope we'll still see her in her signature tracksuit every now and then though. If she does join the firm, I’m curious to see the events leading up it. I assume it has to do with Ha Chan Ho's case? To be honest, I have been enjoying seeing her hustle through her own practice, but I guess on the flip side, it would be a nice change to see her compete with HJ with equal resources. Maybe now she’ll be able to truly showcase her talent without it being muddled by her feeling the need to always get ahead of the "big guys". One thing for sure...I won’t be complaining about more screen time of the two. I bet they’ll pretend they hate seeing each other all day every day, but I think we all know how the truly feel inside. ;) I'm definitely looking forward to the know more about each other part and how same/different they think each other are from when they were "fake" dating.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, taeunfighting said:

To be honest, I have been enjoying seeing her hustle through her own practice, but I guess on the flip side, it would be a nice change to see her compete with HJ with equal resources. Maybe now she’ll be able to truly showcase her talent without it being muddled by her feeling the need to always get ahead of the "big guys".

I like that she has her own practice also. She is struggling to survive in the business , to find new clients who will bring money but she is her own boss. And I like the partnership between Geum-Ja and her investigator/ friend. I root for the underdog.

But as you also said, I like to see how she will adjustice the new environment as well. She had trouble in her own practice but things will not be easy on a big law firm either.

On the 29th February, various music sites will be released ‘Hyena’ OST Part.02 (Part.02), where Baekhyun participated as a singer.

202002280924327159_1.jpg

'On this road to you' is inserted in a scene where Yoon Hee-jae (Ju Ji-hoon), who had a heart for Jung-geum (Kim Hye-su) who met at the self-laundry room during the first broadcast of 'Hyena', waited to meet her again.

Baekhyun, who will present his unique emotion with 'On this road to you', showed his performance as a 'OST strong' with various dramas OST hits.

http://star.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/202002280924327159

• Like 4