[Drama 2020] Hyena 하이에나

larus

My beef from the latest 2 eps is that at the beginning of ep 9, there was no scene of them naked on the bed and the reaction of HJ seeing GJ's scar.

I like that Mr. Kevin Jung and GJ are very direct about stuff.  I guess HJ is still not ready to take the leap of faith for GJ after all.  Why act jealous when he can't even admit he loves her.  I'm a little disappointed.

• Like 5

Finished ep 9 n 10. So sad, I got to wait another looooonnnnggg week. Love a jealous Hee Jae. Loved his childish reaction at the live cuttlefish restaurant and how he stopped Kevin from going after Geum Ja then quickly went after her himself. Loved his admission to Geum Ja why he went there. For work discussion (official reason) and because he missed her (private reason). Even the furious Geum Ja could not even find the words to rebuke him when he was being so honest with his feelings. Haha. :D

Poor 'shipper' Ji-Eun. Caught between both of them. Her interactions with Hee Jae are so cute n funny. Their eyes are so expressive. By the way, do you all think Lawyer Na likes her? I hope it'll be another couple in the making. ;)

@Shinobu Agree with you. I was disappointed too. But I think HJ did not want to admit it in front of his colleagues cos they are all co-workers in the same team and things may get awkward. Lawyer Ga already knows about them but the black mole lawyer doesn't know. GJ (who has been rejecting HJ) prob won't like it too if she knew he blabbed about their relationship in front of their colleagues. But you can see that HJ almost immediately regretted his decision. After the pizza lunch, he tried to call GJ but she did not pick up. He cannot concentrate on his work either causing him to knock off earlier and witnessed Kevin in GJ's office. When Kevin so frankly expressed his romantic interest in GJ, HJ had to bite his tongue, he could not say a word. Because he already told Kevin that he was not interested in GJ as a woman. N Kevin told him then please maintain the same attitude. HJ waited for GJ to reject Kevin directly but when GJ hesitated (prob deliberately to make HJ give up), HJ left in a huff. So I would say yes HJ deserved it but he did get his just desserts. :D

At ep10, after learning the truth about GJ's past, that pained look of his face combined with the violin ost when he was driving away was daebak. And the way HJ looked so earnestly at GJ and he told her we need to talk (even Lawyer Boo noticed) and the rooftop scene when he was trying to convince her not to get hurt again. So much love and charisma. :wub:

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Shinobu said:

I guess HJ is still not ready to take the leap of faith for GJ after all.  Why act jealous when he can't even admit he loves her.

My opinion is that it is actually GJ who is not ready to take the leap of faith with HJ. She is still pushing him away. :( As a result, I think it confuses HJ and how he should feel. He wants to believe that he can take their relationship casually, but deep down, he really can't.

Again, in today's episode, she tells Ms. Kim that she trusts no one...which means she still has her guard up. I think the key to her opening up is that she needs to resolve her past and issues with her father. I believe that is the main reason why she cannot live in the moment as HJ wants her to. The good thing is that HJ knows everything now. It seems he will do his best to help and protect her. To me, that is also a way you show/let someone know that you love her. She doesn't have to be alone in this fight. She can trust and lean on him. It takes two to be in love. It's pretty obvious that he is willing to wholeheartedly accept her (scars and all). So, it is up to her to somehow meet him halfway and be willing accept him as well. I hope the story is written that she will eventually be able to do that...and finally love and be loved.

• Like 11

I found HJ’s attitude and behavior incredibly immature, disturbing and extremely unprofessional. In fact, I can’t believe that he’d stoop so low. He has no right to go and bombard JGJ’s meetings and appointments. In fact it’s none of his business how she gets information or who she meets. 

Plus, the person she’s talking to is the owner of a 3 trillion dollar company FGS! How can HJ or anyone else just treat that client so shabbily?! Not even interns are that careless. And she's 'working' - which she's very good at, getting information without sounding like a lawyer.

But more importantly, I thought this drama would be a bit adult than the usual k-drama tropes, but no, it literally took one episode to turn it into a sordid ‘i am so in love i am going to stalk and haunt you and that will be proof of love’ kind of crap.

I think there were better ways to show that HJ wasn’t going to give up on JGJ than this running around.

So much so that I’ve started wondering what HJ sees in JGJ anyways? I mean seriously, what?! Why does he like her this much besides some sex or attraction?

At first, their squabbling looked like straight from the ‘Tale of Nokdu’ drama book, but the leads in that one were kids, literally, I don’t expect 37-plus people to act this way in front of clients or staff.

I think JGJ is right in distancing herself from HJ - not just because of the obvious class difference or totally unsuitable wife material for someone from HJ’s background. But because she’s extremely independent, and doesn’t really need him for anything, while being associated with her will impede his career (as per South Korean society) and her controversial background (orphan, murder, abuse, lies, poverty, odd jobs) will not sit well with his brother and father - both of whom are upright judges - and it will create problems for them too, and if someone starts to disclose her skeletons, it will put pressure on her, HJ and his family. She also is extremely ambitious and doesn’t like distractions (i.e. romantic attachments) beyond a certain point that she can’t control.

It also is a foregone conclusion that HJ is going to leave Song & Kim eventually.

I was wondering if Hyena is going to have more than one season, then PD may just extend the romantic ambiguity to season 2 and give a ‘hopeful but non-committal’ ring to their relationship at the end of Ep.16. And it looks like it will go that way.

I don’t know if all the pandora’s boxes can be resolved in the remaining 6 episodes. Apart from the obvious blow hot-blow cold couple entanglement between the two, the impact that JGJ’s past on HJ’s career growth and his judge brother and father, and her own rise within an elite law firm, their role in Team H i.e. elite lawyers deciding cases of rich and influential to safeguard major crimes and scandals, the way JGJ will be undermined to be thrown out from Song and Kim and how she fights back, if and when HJ himself leaves Song & Kim, etc. These are all scenarios that can and probably will happen.

And from the preview for Ep.11, it looks like HJ lost his high-profile case and is looking for quid pro quo (some emotional honesty or sex) from JGJ landing at her apartment (uninvited)! This went south pretty fast. I dnf’d Ep.9-10. Hope Ep.11 is better.

Edit: Okay watched both episodes twice, they are good, but i still don't like HJ immature / stalker / unprofessional character arc.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

I am not disappointed that Hee Jae did not recognize in front of his colleagues and Kevin Jung that he loves Geum ja. I understand him. It is realistical this way. He felt bad/ regretted after that because he obviously lied and tried to call her as an instinct. He never hide his feelings in front of Geum ja, the person who really matters, but maybe he doesn`t feel too confident to say it out loud when, right now, he thinks it is one-sided. 

There is another problem. Dating among colleagues. Lawyer Ma and the other one, think that they will cause problems for both Hee Jae and Geum Ja if they will prove that they were dating.

What I am waiting is not for Hee Jae to make a public confession but for Geum ja to confess to Hee Jae that she loves him too. :P  I agree that Hee Jae is like a kid sometimes. Maybe after all this "jealous boyfriend" antics (the show hinted that they want to make this drama funny) their relationship will build naturally, more seriously, working together side by side and knowing each other better/ deeply along the way.

Another situation that might appear. Let see how things will go when Song and Kim will fight directly. It will be a conflict between partners at Song & Kim. It will be a challenge for Hee Jae and Geum ja if they will be on different sides. Kim Min Jo thinks that she knows Geum Ja, that she is motivated only for money. On the surfice, it seems that way but Geum ja will surprise her. Geum Ja will analyse the situation very well. Of course that she will choose the side that it is most convenient for her and I don`t blame her for that. The question is, how Hee Jae will take it?

For him it is not that simple. He is trapped on Song Pil jung`s side right now. Maybe it is the right postions for him. I like how Hee Jae is observing Mr Song a little beter these days. And Geum ja`s words made him reflect on his relationship with Mr Song. Let see how the power struggle is developing and what the two of them (Mr Song and Ms Kim ) will have to offer, what are their interests.

I am curious how Geum ja will react now that Hee Jae knows about her past. I bet that she will be upset. But it is good that he finally knows the truth.

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Glad to see this thread moving...

Saw ep8 and great to see both of working together and GJ putting her guard down and telling a bit of her past to HJ. Love that kiss too.. hehe..

Ep.9z HJ's jealousy... while GJ playing it cool. 

Thoughout the episodes we see more of Hj's emotion than GJ's. Maybe she really didnt have any feeling for HJ and it was surprising to see Hj was really into her. 

It took nearly 7 episodes to get me hook up with this drama, understanding the characters a bit more. Good to see a strong female character. Reminds me of Search WWW. :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

[HanCinema's News] Son Ye-jin Sends Kim Hye-soo a Coffee Car

by William Schwartz on 2020/03/20 at 20:35 PST

2020/03/20

photo1165725.jpg

Son Ye-jin has sent a coffee car to the set of "Hyena" in support of Kim Hye-soo. The two actresses are long-time friends. In a message delivered to Kim Hye-soo, Son Ye-jin called the older actress her sister, expressing love for the lawyer Kim Hye-soo plays on "Hyena" and saying she can be cute and cool all by herself.

This news follows Kim Hye-soo making giving Son Ye-jin a similar present back in December, sending the younger actress a coffee car on the set of "Crash Landing on You" last December. Son Ye-jin was jubilant with praise at the time posting on Instagram. Kim Hye-soo does not have an Instagram account. "Hyena" just broadcast its nineth episode on March 20th, pulling in ratings of 11.5%.

Written by William Schwartz

https://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-news-son-ye-jin-sends-kim-hye-soo-a-coffee-car-139759.html?utm_source=vuukle&utm_medium=talk_of_town

• Like 6

Whew - I finally caught up!!! :D

Well, well, well.... The cat and mouse game is continuing as much as before. :D

Some thoughts:

• Mr Song is a sneaky man! Of course he wants to change the inheritance tax law! I have a suspicion that his wife and her sister own a major part of the company, and with the current law he would only get a maximum of 50% of his wife's inheritance when she passes away. The sister would get 50% of the inheritance, and make her the #1 owner of Song&Kim. So he's using HJ to try and change the law. He is also counting that HJ's father as a supreme court judge will help....
    I am also wondering if he's somehow a culprit in his wife's accident? Maybe it wasn't an accident....? Yikes.
  • The dad is scum. I can't believe he had the audacity to say that GJ should ask for his forgiveness! :angry: The detective / GJ's savior from the orphanage is brave to ask HJ to help her. He really is a good friend.
  • GJ is really scared of trusting and loving HJ. I know that it is frustrating for many of you that she keeps pushing HJ away, but she doesn't have only physical scars - the mental scars run much deeper. Now that he has acknowledged his own feelings towards her and his anger has subsided, he can be more gentle with her. This will open up to a deeper connection between them. She keeps pushing him away, because she is testing him if he will abandon her too. Let's give her some more time? :)
  • The key to love lies in GJ's past. It's great that HJ knows about her sordid past now. He can protect her and help her overcome her demons. I think he will in the end save her from her father.
  • Oh, and Kevin's English sucks for supposedly being an American.
  • Like 6

On 3/21/2020 at 5:37 AM, Shinobu said:

I'm sure he wasn't drunk on the squirming squids tentacles unless we can force the argument he was drunk on GJ's flirting and will be ready to marry her next ep.

I was wondering what were those tentacles.  Why are they moving? The octopus or the squid was alive when they cut it? They eat it raw?

At least Kevin Jung tried. I don`t think I could do this scene. :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 5

I concur.  Kevin's English sucks.  But he has a sexay voice and I get a little weak every time he shows up with that smile.  Then my eyes got all jelly and I thought, "oh so fine..."

It is true.  HJ and GJ are acting very immature but this is a clear indication that they're each other's first love.  I guess they missed the boat when they were in their teens and so that's what happening right now because regardless how old people are, the first time always put them in that childish first step mental state. 

All is fair in love and war.  Kevin uses the excuse of being the client to get close to GJ (to get in her pants).  GJ flirts with Kevin to get information and HJ gets all emotional when the new rivals is after his girl.  I can understand why GJ fell for him despite getting burn from life and lost trust in people.  As she said, he's like a kid as in somewhat pure and innocent, emotionally honest.  He who wears his emotions on his sleeves.  That's a very endearing trait that older woman likes in a man.  ;)  I can't blame her.  I can't blame him for being so emotional neither.  I bet he never came across a beautiful, smart and mysterious lady like GJ who tosses him aside.  That combination makes him want her even more so.  I like to see him take the lead.  That's why I'm hoping that he'll play a little badass and take a leap like a boss to show off in front of GJ.

And then we have Mr. Song and Ms. Kim.  HJ feels obligated to be loyal with Mr. Song because he's his dad's buddy.  Of course Mr. Song has his grand plan and I have a conspiracy theory about that a few pages ago.  I anticipate HJ to find out the dirty truth about Mr. Song, then reacted with shock and awe.  But I'm hoping for some twists.  Ms. Kim, I don't like at all.  The way she looked down (literally) on GJ disgusted me.  She should really look at herself in the mirror before making such a statement.  (However, I get the feeling that GJ will team up with her.  Ep 10 had that female power vibe thing going on...  Methinks.  I'm a little on the slow side but I'm wondering if they're hinting the daughter is a lesbian?)

I don't care for GJ's dad so much but I wonder about Mr. Park and his relationship with GJ.  He is GJ's greatest torch carrier knowing that he will never get the girl.  It's complicated people would say.  So what's the relationship?   :unsure:    

9 minutes ago, larus said:

I was wondering what were those tentacles.  Why they are moving? The octopus orthe squid was alive when they cut it? They eat it raw?

At least Kevin Jung tried. I don`t think I could do this scene. :D

Yeah they ate live squirming octopus.  She did say she would turn him into a real Korean and I guess that was the way. ;)

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Shinobu said:

Ms. Kim, I don't like at all.  The way she looked down (literally) on GJ disgusted me.  She should really look at herself in the mirror before making such a statement.  (However, I get the feeling that GJ will team up with her.  Ep 10 had that female power vibe thing going on... 

I don`t understand why Kim Min joo reacted like that towards Geum ja, especially if she wanted to gain her on her side. It was rude and unprofesional but maybe it was involuntary? Like a reaction? or it was a test?  I really like how Geum ja reacted. She responded quickly, rejected her food, and calling the food not for her taste. It was a war of nerves between the two women but Geum Ja did very well. She never felt intimidated. I could tell she did not like how Ms Kim reacted towards her but she has a power to disimulate even when something is not in her advantage.

I like Mr Song so far  and I wish both Hee jae and Geum Ja to stay on his side but I don`t exclude that there will be some twists regarding him. It is good that Geum ja is on her side and doesn`t trust anyone. 

But if Geum ja will take Ms Kim`s side, I want to see Lawyer Ma `s face when he won`t be on on the spotlight anymore. Both Hee Jae and Geum Ja outclass him by far.  :lol:

• Like 7

48 minutes ago, larus said:

I was wondering what were those tentacles.  Why are they moving? The octopus or the squid was alive when they cut it? They eat it raw?

Yeah, the tentacles keep moving about an hour after being cut off because each arm has its own "control system".

I heard from a friend who lived in Korea that they also eat live baby octopus that they just eat in one go. Supposedly you gotta eat them fast + chew thoroughly so the tentacles don't get stuck in your mouth/throat...
I am definitely NOT brave enough. :D  

@Shinobu Mr. Park is GJ's childhood friend. She met him as a child in an orphanage while she was being sent in and out of the system. He is the one that saved her from committing suicide and helped set up the scene where GJ's father "stabbed" GJ. They have been friends since childhood and carry the big secret together. I think he sees her merely as his big sister / family.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, partyon said:

Mr. Park is GJ's childhood friend. She met him as a child in an orphanage while she was being sent in and out of the system. He is the one that saved her from committing suicide and helped set up the scene where GJ's father "stabbed" GJ. They have been friends since childhood and carry the big secret. I think he sees her merely as his big sister / family.

I also think that they are close now like they used to be when they were young. They are each other's family.

24 minutes ago, partyon said:

I heard from a friend who lived in Korea that they also eat live baby octopus that they just eat in one go. Supposedly you gotta eat them fast + chew thoroughly so the tentacles don't get stuck in your mouth/throat...
I am definitely NOT brave enough. :D  

I think they got used to it. I am not brave either. Maybe they are tasty but I would have prefered them cooked. :D

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

1 hour ago, larus said:

I don`t understand why Kim Min joo reacted like that towards Geum ja, especially if she wanted to gain her on her side. It was rude and unprofesional but maybe it was involuntary? Like a reaction? or it was a test?  I really like how Geum ja reacted. She responded quickly, rejected her food, and calling the food not for her taste. It was a war of nerves between the two women but Geum Ja did very well. She never felt intimidated. I could tell she did not like how Ms Kim reacted towards her but she has a power to disimulate even when something is not in her advantage.

I like Mr Song so far  and I wish both Hee jae and Geum Ja to stay on his side but I don`t exclude that there will be some twists regarding him. It is good that Geum ja is on her side and doesn`t trust anyone. 

But if Geum ja will take Ms Kim`s side, I want to see Lawyer Ma `s face when he won`t be on on the spotlight anymore. Both Hee Jae and Geum Ja outclass him by far.  :lol:

Ms. Kim acts like the typical snob and a half 1% who doesn't hesitate to trample on people because she thinks GJ will come running to her if she pays GJ loads of money.  This may be true since GJ didn't reject right away and implies she was considering to accept the offer.

1 hour ago, partyon said:

@Shinobu Mr. Park is GJ's childhood friend. She met him as a child in an orphanage while she was being sent in and out of the system. He is the one that saved her from committing suicide and helped set up the scene where GJ's father "stabbed" GJ. They have been friends since childhood and carry the big secret together. I think he sees her merely as his big sister / family.

I do get that family vibe as GJ treats him like family.  Maybe he harbors romantic feelings for her but does not pursue because he thinks she's too good for him.  Typical stuff like that.

Heck, in this stay at home climate, I suggest they release all the eps so I don't have to wait a whole week. 

• Like 6

I do wonder why GJ keep looking up at the building... the place that hold her secret? What is she looking for in that building?

And yes, Kevin's English doesnt sound good, haaaa...

Ok i wanna know, did they do it at the office or at his home, at the end of ep8??? I mean, man, the cctvs around???:crazy:

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

Hyena: Episodes 9-10 Open Thread

by missvictrix

Hyena910_8.jpg

If I ran SBS, both Kim Hye-soo and Joo Ji-hoon would already be buried in trophies for their acting in this drama. It’s hard to find a single performance — never mind two — that is so consistently strong, interesting, and nuanced. Both actors are fantastic at not only telling this story, but bringing it to life with these great little moments, be it a naughty crinkle of the nose, or a question given loads of dimension just through a changing facial expression. My hat is off to these two.

EPISODES 9-10 WEECAP

Hyena910_2.jpg

This week, our sparring pair of attorneys get a new task from the newly arrived (and suspicious) Attorney Kim. The firm AP EON wants Song & Kim to handle an M&A deal — specifically, they want to acquire a company known as Gnosis. But Gnosis doesn’t want to be acquired. So, who better for this task than our awesome duo?

After the success with D&T, Hee-jae, Geum-ja, and their respective team members, have become something of a team. Their briefings and meetings are pretty great, with Hee-jae and Geum-ja continually trying to out-do or boss the other around… but when it comes down to it, the whole team knows what to do, and boy do they do it.

more

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/03/hyena-episodes-9-10-open-thread/

• Like 4

More important, i just realised..  how come JH didnt know about GJ's scars before this? It look pretty nasty.

Hence since they started *dating in the earlier episodes, i do wonder if they ever slept together coz everyhing went so fast... was it just dating dating..  but it looks like GJ did stayed over his place.. hehe

• Like 3

7 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

Ok i wanna know, did they do it at the office or at his home, at the end of ep8??? I mean, man, the cctvs around???:crazy:

Well, not sure, but I would assume the office.They had no time to move to his home the way the were getting at it...  They were like two hyenas in heat - lol :joy: 

I doubt there are any cctvs in GJ's office. 

I think it's refreshing that the leads are treated as adults in this drama. They haven't shown us any bedroom scenes, but it is always "implied" that they slept together many times. I hate those scenes with the doe eyed kisses. Example below :sweat_smile:

37587c41e299a408814fe5fc0f7ff2b3.jpg

• Like 3
  • LOL 4

8 hours ago, realistic2280a said:

It was the office. Her office did not have cctv but on the hallways it is another story. I think lawyer Ma and his silly colleague will find evidence after all that Hee Jae and Geum Ja are in a relationship. But so what! I can`t wait to see their frustrated faces when they can`t do anything against them. :D

30 minutes ago, realistic2280a said:

More important, i just realised..  how come JH didnt know about GJ's scars before this? It look pretty nasty.

Maybe he knew about the scar but he did not know from where she really get it. It was easy to lie that she had an accident in the past, she definetly did not tell him about the abuse.

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1