[Drama 2020] Hyena 하이에나

larus

Love reading all your posts :). N yes, I rewatched ep 8 soju scene n whisky scenes too. Hee Jae's look of pain n rage when Geum Ja shared she was almost beaten to death by her dad - such great acting by JJH. I noticed KHS's acting in Signal but she's even better in Hyena. 

I dunno how to tag but Africandramalover, since I rewatched some eps in both English n Chinese Subs. Geum Ja in Chinese seems to mean Gold Assets (Wealth?) implying she wants to be rich. I can't understand Korean so not sure if Chinese translations are accurate compared to Korean meaning though. :P

• Like 9
  • Love 1

I love the many layers the characters are written in this drama. you wouldn't expect an individual who is both arrogant, ambitious and prideful to be so humbled when it comes to his heart and one that got utterly trampled on no less.

While I initially had my doubts about them as a couple, I'm fully onboard since and it's a pairing I didn't know I needed till now. I'm looking forward to seeing GJ's jealousy rearing its head as I think it's about time the tables are turned. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Kdramafan said:

Geum Ja in Chinese seems to mean Gold Assets (Wealth?) implying she wants to be rich. I can't understand Korean so not sure if Chinese translations are accurate compared to Korean meaning though. 

Funny thing. I was wondering if she chose this name because of some meaning. Thanks for sharing the information.

A quick search on Google, I find out that Geum means "gold" in Korean and ja could be translated as "child".

I think the Chinese translation is correct.

6 minutes ago, debbsthebee said:

I'm looking forward to seeing GJ's jealousy rearing its head as I think it's about time the tables are turned. 

I am waiting for this moment also. We all know that she likes him but it will take a while until she will confess too.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Insightful 2

Love this show.

Love this pair. They chew and burn the screen off when they are together in a scene. I miss them when only one is shown! 

Love the team.

Love the soundtrack, well-placed songs perfect for each scene.

Loved both episodes 7 and 8, the childish banter and work-play balance (bumping each other, 'should I bring you coffee,' high-five, 'I just came to see you, it annoys me more when I don't,' 'I'll use you'), the feminine energy HJ exudes (soft, the heart on sleeve, unconditional support, long stares, admiration, can cook too), and the masculine traits / energy that JGJ/JE brings to any conversation (no nonsense, commitment-phobic, boss lady). 

Some folks still are hung up on Song Hye not playing JGJ, that she would've 'looked better' visually with the good-looking ML. My take is simply that Song Hye may be very pretty, but she has a very limited acting range, and I THANK GOD that she isn't in it. Kim Hye Soo has taken this role to an entirely another level, gritty, steely, smart, real and relatable, oozing sex appeal without showing a single bone or cleavage while wearing tackiest of suits! In the drama, she is supposed to be just 4 years older than ML (some lawyer mentioned she's 41). Her real age shouldn't be an issue, because she's not playing a noona! And I don't know who else could've used the ML and kissed like that and owned it like it's nothing, and make you still root for her!

Both, she and Ju Ji Hoon, are brilliant in this drama. But Ju Ji Hoon killed the 3 soju/wine scenes - this guy's face actually has a thousand expressions per scene, very sad, honest but breath-taking adult scenes. Great dialogues too.

On a side note, JGJ/ JE comes across as one of those women who pile on a wreckage of paramours and flames, all ready to do her bidding and help her, while she climbs the ladder of success and remains alone! Hope she changes (for the sake of poor, pathetically hopeless HJ!)

To me, HJ was pretty useless in the D & T case, I don't think lawyers should be investigators to dig dirt and evidence (those can be hired separately) but D & T case was won squarely through the fresh perspective and foot work of JGJ / JE and how she guided the teams, she cleanly set all things in order outside the courtroom too. Good lawyering.

I find Yu-Mi to be extremely irritating - less screen time she has, the better. They didn't make it clear what relationship the detective has with JGJ, I think he was just her neighbor, because it did look like she was the only child, and he was never shown beaten or around the father.

The father is one horrible man, still up to old tricks. I hope there is no sham K-drama-style 'forgiveness' track for him, because he came with spite and vengeance, to show JGJ that he holds power over her no matter how far and big she gets (most probably will blackmail or threaten to disclose her 'criminal background' or unsavory family background to get her out of Song & Kim) - i don't expect him to do any good and he won't. Is he her real father?

Is there more to Mr. Song and Ms. Kim's back story than merely the convenient 'accident' of Song's wife? Maybe Kim was in love with Song, as both were lawyers in her father's firm, and Song picked/ loved Kim's sister instead. And once the accident / suicide attempt by the wife happened, Song hung on to the wife and remains committed to a comatose wife, while becoming co-head too. That would be so K-drama trope! Is that young - 'guinea pig' - intern, son of Song and Kim? Is JGJ daughter of Song's long lost sister? (I'm thinking of more K-drama tropes) - hope the drama remains fresh, no K-drama route!

I wish they'd release BTS of that fight scene JGJ had in Ep.1.

And a big shout-out to @Ameera Ali - that was one laugh-out loud post - missed you!

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, noor1 said:

I find Yu-Mi to be extremely irritating - less screen time she has, the better. They didn't make it clear what relationship the detective has with JGJ, I think he was just her neighbor, because it did look like she was the only child, and he was never shown beaten or around the father.

You have a point. I thought that he was her brother but I searched for his name after reading your post and it is named Park, a different name than Jung. I thought he was extremely worried too because the man was released but maybe he was worried just for her. If they were not siblings, they were very close since childhood.

Odly, I find Yu Mi funny sometimes. I don`t take her serious and she makes me smile. I think Yu Mi and Lawyer Ga make a good couple. 

I am curious about Mr Song and his relationship with his sister in law. Kim Min Joo was interested in Geum ja. And Geum ja asked about her too. I am sure Ms Kim will give Geum ja a case and test her.

I remember something. I sensed that there was an animosity between Kim Min joo and Hee Jae. Both did not like to see each other. Maybe it is my perception.  I wonder if something happened in the past or it is just because he is on Song`s side.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Thanks Larus for checking the korean translation of Geum Ja. Like Debbsthebee, I am looking forward to seeing GJ jealous too but looks like HJ will be the one getting jealous first. He sees GJ's new client Kevin Jung introduced by Ms Kim as a threat. And looks mighty upset when GJ does not respond to his calls. Haha. Sometimes I wonder if HJ can make use of Lawyer Boo n make GJ jealous. Maybe that will help speed things up, force GJ admit her feelings sooner. But it seems futile cos HJ doesn't even notice Ms Boo or pick up her hints. Even Lawyer Ga gets it cos Ms Boo is so obvious. But HJ is so steadfast in his love, he seems blind towards Ms Boo, no matter where he is, he only sees GJ. Awww.....  :wub:

Oh ya, I think the detective is her neighbourhood Dongsaeng. Not brother by blood. Cos he was waiting outside to call the ambulance when he heard young GJ being attacked by her father. But since that actor was involved in drink driving recently, not sure how much of his parts will be edited out as he seems to hv a substantial role in the recent eps.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kdramafan said:

Like Debbsthebee, I am looking forward to seeing GJ jealous too but looks like HJ will be the one getting jealous first.

Of course. We know that he is open with his feelings. But it will come a time when she has to show her real feelings or even confess. We have half of the drama for that. :) 

They come from this

to this

I trust them to make the right decision, in the end. :D

Until then, I will want to see them as a team in a new case.

• Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

HJ expresses his love for GJ by being frank with her and keeps coming at her, chasing her.  GJ expresses her love for him by kicking him, telling him off.  Her words show she cares for him deeply.  Stay away from someone from the mud like me.  Find a good girl to marry and live a happy, dignified life.  But she's so torn when he can be super sweet to her.  It's easier for him than for her.  He loves her and can just keeps chasing her.  She loves him but wants to keep him away and all the while still desires to have him.  The internal conflict can be full of distress.  I do hope this drama addresses their relationship thoroughly.  Because sometimes when that is not the main subject, they can be a little half@$$.  So far, it's lovely.

Now I have to wait another long week for the next ep.  This is too painful to bear. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Episode 7 was good and 8 was even better.

GJ was lying when she said she doesn't want to rekindle their romance. Funny that she mentioned romance when she she knew it was a trick. The best part was when HJ tell her to use him and bam! She was all over him. Actually I like their bickering more than their love making.

@noor1 I was disappointed that SongHyeKyo turned this down. I would love to see her in a badass role for once.

• Like 4
  • LOL 3

On 3/15/2020 at 9:19 PM, noor1 said:

Both, she and Ju Ji Hoon, are brilliant in this drama. But Ju Ji Hoon killed the 3 soju/wine scenes - this guy's face actually has a thousand expressions per scene, very sad, honest but breath-taking adult scenes. Great dialogues too.

Cant agree more. Both of them are so good

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Kim Hye Soo, Joo Ji Hoon Torn Between Love and Work in "Hyena"

BY Staff Reporter | Mar 12, 2020 04:13 AM EDT

kim-hye-soo-and-joo-ji-hoon-torn-between

Kim Hye Soo and Joo Ji Hoon's characters in "Hyena" are brilliant lawyers who deal with rich clients and care about winning any case they touch. How can they work things out when love comes in?

In the past, Jung Geum Ja (played by Kim Hye Soo) swayed Yoon Hee Jae (played by Joo Ji Hoon) in a romantic relationship. Her motive is not to find true love but to gather information for a case she is working. Yoon Hee Jae, as naive as he was, thought that their love was for real

On the day of the trial though, when Jung Geum stood in the courtroom with her client beside her, Yoon Hee Jae ended up shocked as his girlfriend was defending the person he was trying to put down. This marked the beginning of their rivalry, with constant fight in every chance that they meet. Through their separation, they promised not to work together in a case and inside the courtroom.

The two both work in a prestigious legal firm. Everyone in the office had no idea about their past yet they still believe in their abilities. Then, a new case brought them together to find ways to impress their client and the firm, except that their pride and arrogance make them refuse to be civil and work as a team. Jung Geum Ja fights for what she thinks is right even if it isn't the case for Yoon Hee Jae. And when there's an opportunity to talk, Yoon Hee Jae brings up her betrayal.

more

https://www.kdramastars.com/articles/117448/20200312/kim-hye-soo-and-joo-ji-hoon-torn-between-love-and-work-in-hyena.htm

• Like 2

Hyena`s Kim Hye-soo and Kim Ho-jung, a secret meeting between two women ' full tension of psychology warfare'

14066_13625_5722.jpg

In the 8th episode of 'Hyena' broadcast on March 14, another representative of Song & Kim, Kim Min-ju (Kim Ho-jung), appeared and predicted the change in the law firm. Since her appearance, Kim Min-ju has launched a mysterious nerve war with CEO Song Pil-jung, who is also her brother-in-law, and launched a shell of new power quarrels.

But there can't be two bosses in a group. Both Song Pil-jung and Kim Min-joo need stronger forces to survive. In this regard, Jeong Geum-ja, a lawyer who wins lawsuits, is a coveted weapon for both representatives. Song Pil-jung recruited Jeong Geum-ja to Song & Kim, and Kim Min-joo is looking at Geumja with interest.

Among them, on March 18, the 'Hyena' production team gathered attention by releasing a photo that captured the secret meeting between Kim Min-joo and Jung Geum-ja. In the public picture, Jung Geum-Jae and Min-Ju Kim sit facing each other in front of a luxurious tablecloth. It looks like an ordinary dining place, but it makes you nervous for some reason. They can't guess what the two's relaxed smiles are thinking.

(Google translate)

http://www.specialtimes.co.kr/news/articleView.html?idxno=14066

• Like 4

It`s Friday, Hyena watching day!

Hyena` Kim Hye-soo X Joo Ji-hun, Unpredictable Relationship

2020032001085_0.jpg

SBS Geumto Drama 'Hyena' [The script Kim Ruri / Director Tae-Yu Jang / Production Key East (CEO Sung-Hye Park)] has returned. 'Hyena' is well-received for its fresh characters, solid play, and actors' breathing and sensational direction. We watched the spectating point to get a glimpse of the second act of 'Hyena', which ended the first act with the highest ratings.

#1. Unpredictable The relationship between Jung Geum Ja (Kim Hye soo) and Yoon Hee Jae (Ju Ji Hoon) , how it will flow

Jeong Geum and Yoon Hee Jae, who lived in a very different world, met and began to influence each other. Jeong Geum-ja, who has survived alone like a weed, is comforted by Yoon Hee-jae, and Yoon Hee-jae, who looks like a flower in the greenhouse, is gradually coming out of his world.

A hot kiss with two narratives gathered together marked the end of the first act.What will they do in the future when they become entangled in love, work, and life? In addition, what conclusion will the relationship of those who will change from time to time through new events conclude? Because it is a special relationship that I have never seen before, I am curious about the new story of Jeong Geum-ja and Yoon Hee-jae, who cannot predict the future.

#2. Hyena lawyer Jung Geum Ja ( Kim Hye-soo) continues to threaten

Geum Ja`s past was revealed. As a young child unprotected by law, she decided to protect herself. Jeong Gum-ja, who studied law to live, became a hyena-like lawyer. The father  who encouraged trauma to such a chastity appeared. In addition, Song & Kim will be involved in the power struggle between the representatives of Song Pil-jung (Lee Kyoung Young) and Min-Ju Kim (Ho-jeong Kim). Indeed, how do the lawyers survive among these many threats? Furthermore, can she achieve her goal to build a gold tower?

# 3. Flowers in the greenhouse Yoon Hee-jae, will the greenhouse break out?

Hee-Jae Yoon has been running to see Song & Kim's representative position, which is the highest position to go up as a lawyer. However, after meeting Geum Ja, his greenhouse, which was living safely like a flower in the greenhouse, began to crack. In addition, in the second act, Song Pil-jung even proclaimed Yoon Hee-jae as the successor of Song & Kim. At this point, attention is paid to what Hee-jae Yoon, who is breaking through his greenhouse little by little, will choose before Song & Kim and the new world.

#4. Hyena lawyers, team H plays
A team of lawyers with distinct personalities such as Jeong Geum-ja and Yoon Hee-jae, including Ki-hyuk Lee (Seokho Jeon), Changwook Kim (Bong-sik Hyun), Hyun-bu Bu (Sejin Seon), and Nai-jun (Jeong Ji-hwan) met. They became Song & Kim's H team without their knowledge. Nobody wants to take it, but Team H, which handles the events that anyone has to take, is a high-class task force. What is the intention of Song Pil-jung, who tied them into the H team, and what kind of case will the H team take in the future?

The 2nd episode of the SBS drama 'Hyena', which will be filled with more exciting stories, can be seen in the 9th episode of 'Hyena', which is broadcast at 10 PM on Friday, March 20th.

(Google translate)

https://news.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2020/03/20/2020032001091.html

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Love 1

'Hyena' Sejin Park, fashion that stands out as much as acting

316910_216980_3110.jpg

In addition, Park Se-jin's fashion, which makes her personality stand out with various styling, also attracts attention.

It seems to show the essence of a 2030 career woman, creates a modern yet luxurious atmosphere. Shirts and neck poles worn as inner as well as suits with a sense of color express refined splendor in classic packaging. Here, the gold ring and pearl earrings with a certain size give a point and convey refined elegance.

http://www.veritas-a.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=316910

Hyena's Kim Hye-soo, pleasant bomb head "Today is a golden day"

image_readtop_2020_289837_15846708964130

Actress Kim Hye-soo promoted 'Hyena' with a bomb head.

https://www.mk.co.kr/star/hot-issues/view/2020/03/289837/

Funny Kim Hye Soo. :D

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

Hyena OST part 6 Jung Seung Hwan- I Am You

Shin Ji-hoon participates in ‘Hyena’ OST ‘Far away’… Lovers' longing song

202003200851722320_1.jpg

On the 20th, at 6 pm, various music websites will unveil the SBS  drama "Hyena" OST Part.07, "Far away", by Shin Ji-hoon.

Shin Ji-hoon's “Far away” begins with a calming piano melody, and is a ballad song that expresses the hearts of lovers who once loved each other, leaving behind only scars but never again.

Particularly, 'Far away' was attended by composers Jeon Jun-ni, who is attracting attention with hot works, and star writer Jung Kyung-sun, who wrote 'Empress Gwang' and 'Vagabond', added strength to the lyrics, and the hearts of those who listened with only the first measure Is going to ring.

Shin Ji-hoon, who was a young age through the 'K-Pop Star Season 2' but was proudly named TOP 6 with deep voice and emotion, finished 'Far away' work with more advanced songs and transmission power as a rising next-generation OST queen.

http://star.hankookilbo.com/News/Read/202003200851722320

• Like 4

• Guest changed the title to [Drama 2020] Hyena 하이에나