[Drama 2020] Hyena 하이에나

larus

On 2/8/2020 at 7:11 AM, Shinobu said:

I hope they'll be a couple in the drama and I don't mind in real life too.  I ship it in both scenarios.  They look so sexy together.

In latest drama trailer it is hinted that the leads were ex-lovers, it seems.

I am not sure if the chemistry between them is strong enough (given the 12 year age difference) but they are damn good actors; the genre seems interesting too; so I am looking forward to this drama anyway.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, 000231846597 said:

In latest drama trailer it is hinted that the leads were ex-lovers, it seems.

I am not sure if the chemistry between them is strong enough (given the 12 year age difference) but they are damn good actors; the genre seems interesting too; so I am looking forward to this drama anyway.

Yes, I just saw the preview where they closed in for a kiss and Kim Hye Soo was wearing a wig (hinting flashback).  And I'm glad to see the kiss in current setting too.  They definitely have more than enough chemistry if they let themselves loose.  From what I see in bts, they were very careful.  So shy. ;)

JJH has lady luck on his side.  It's amazing he has the chance to star with KHS.  I never thought of this combo but damn, they're really compatible.  Then I saw them in the bts, I was like just relax.  They were so conscious.

• Like 3

Premiere Watch: Hyena, Hi Bye, Mama!

by stroopwafel

Hyena

premwatch_hyena2.jpg

Time slot: Friday & Saturday
Broadcaster: SBS
Genre: Legal
Episode count: 16

Reasons to watch: Kim Hye-soo and Joo Ji-hoon are going head to head as top lawyers and bitter rivals from totally different worlds. Kim Hye-soo was born into poverty while Joo Ji-hoon has only ever known privilege and comfort. Early on in life, Kim set her sights on becoming a laywer; though she was too poor to attend college, she passed the bar thanks to her top-notch intellect. From that point on her life is solely about the pursuit of money and she manages to build up an impressively moneyed clientele. In contrast, Joo Ji-hoon is the ultimate “gold spoon,” with law being the family business. Blessed with a sharp mind, his entire life has been one smooth ride until he meets Kim Hye-soo. While Kim’s priority is money, Joo’s priority is accumulating power so when two people with different goals are chasing after the same clients, it’s a battle of the fittest to see who will emerge on top. I’m still not sure if this will be a serious look at the 1% and lawyers, or more of a comedic satire but either way, I can’t wait to see the Kim Hye-soo–Joo Ji-hoon match up.

http://www.dramabeans.com/2020/02/premiere-watch-hyena-hi-bye-mama/

• Like 5

Kim Hye Soo And Joo Ji Hoon Share What It’s Like To Work Together On “Hyena”

Feb 21, 2020
by C. Hong

dcee5924b36245448d4d02ac6cbdd8c0.jpeg?s=

On February 21, SBS’s upcoming Friday-Saturday drama “Hyena” held a press conference via livestream broadcast. Lead actors Kim Hye Soo and Joo Ji Hoon and director Jang Tae Yoo were in attendance.

“Hyena” tells the story of fiercely cutthroat lawyers who use their knowledge of the law to pursue dreams of wealth. Joo Ji Hoon plays Yoon Hee Jae, an elite lawyer who is the ace of South Korea’s most powerful law firm, and Kim Hye Soo plays Jung Geum Ja, a money-hungry outsider in the legal industry.

At the press conference, Kim Hye Soo shared why she had chosen the drama as her new project. She said, “I had a lot of fun reading the script. I felt that the character in the script had a lot of potential for variation. I thought I would have fun playing someone like that. I also had faith in the director’s quality control, so I started the project with high expectations.”

She described her character as, “I play a new character with every new project, but Jung Geum Ja is really different from the others. It’s normal to anticipate playing a new character, but Jung Geum Ja is interesting even beyond that. Her job is a lawyer, but I approached her more as someone who is wearing the clothes of a lawyer.”

Joo Ji Hoon said, “The director worked to express the ambition and greed that we all have inside of us. Our drama tells a specialized story, but it’s also fun to watch.”

Director Jang Tae Yoo said, “Kim Hye Soo and Joo Ji Hoon decided around the same time to accept their casting offers, and I was amazed. I’m really happy at the opportunity to work with two actors who are so in demand in Korea.”

Joo Ji Hoon humorously recalled how he felt when he learned Kim Hye Soo had been cast. “Wow,” he said. “Hye Soo sunbaenim. Mamma mia. I couldn’t let this [opportunity] go.”

Kim Hye Soo added, “Through this project, I learned that Joo Ji Hoon is relentless when it comes to challenging himself. I am greatly stimulated by being able to work with an actor like that. If you work with him, you realize that he has a lot of things to offer. He comes up with a lot of ideas.”

https://www.soompi.com/article/1384316wpp/kim-hye-soo-and-joo-ji-hoon-share-what-its-like-to-work-together-on-hyena

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

• Guest changed the title to [Current Drama 2020] Hyena, 하이에나 - Fri & Sat @ 22:00 KST

Joo Ji Hoon + Kim Hye Soo’s New Drama “Hyena” Premieres To Strong Ratings; “Itaewon Class” Hits New All-Time High

Feb 22, 2020
by E. Cha

d383d530eb4d44fdb53356b70f46de35.jpeg?s=

SBS’s “Hyena” is off to a promising start!

According to Nielsen Korea, the February 21 premiere of the new drama starring Joo Ji Hoon and Kim Hye Soo scored average nationwide ratings of 7.7 percent and 10.3 percent for its two parts. Although “Hyena” wasn’t able to live up to the 19.1 percent finale ratings achieved by “Stove League” (the drama that previously occupied its time slot), it did beat the ratings of 3.3 percent and 5.5 percent achieved by its predecessor’s premiere.

https://www.soompi.com/article/1384392wpp/joo-ji-hoon-kim-hye-soos-new-drama-hyena-premieres-to-strong-ratings-itaewon-class-hits-new-all-time-high

• Like 5

What a start!

I decided to watch this purely because I really like both lead actors. I was not disappointed. Money,  power, greed, arrogance, conceit, games, romance, lies. We got all of that in the first episode. I am intrigued to see how the story develops. :)

A few things that stood out in the first episode:

• How come Yoon Hee Jae became a person who seeks power? His grandfather is a judge and was disappointed in the grandson's decision to work in a law firm with no (or little) moral compass.
  • Yoon Hee Jae seems to actually crave something else (compassion and love), even though he lives in a world of sleekness and competition. He says that "he believes in himself", but yet it's clear that he is lonely. He was also clearly disappointed that he was duped by a woman he was falling in love with.
  • Jung Geum Ja intrigues me even more. She's from an abusive background, forced to defend and take care of herself from a young age. She is driven by money (unlike Yoon Hee Jae's drive for power).  Yet her slogan is "Iron will, Sincere heart". There is more to her than just her tough exterior.
  • She also resembles a gangster or a mob boss. Even the 70s style clothes and office interior is there to show us viewers that she's from a poorer background and has  questionable connections and businesses. The clothes are just so over the top :D
  • Yes, it was a love trap! I have a feeling that we will get more romance, though, in later episodes.... ;)

• Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shinobu said:

So it was a love trap.  Man I want to see them in a proper love story.  The love trap was brief but so cute.  They cliff hung me real good. 

I thought it was a little weird, seeing that in the trailer she had a different behavior, but I liked this mini fake romance, it was beautiful with the music, the images that paraded on their dates, the kiss,  the chemistry was on fire:blush:

really lawyers and their working methods are crazy:joy:
Good first episode, I'm waiting for the next episode

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Agree with you guys @partyon @marrez1 it was a fantastic 1st episode.  Fire chemistry there between Kim Hye Soo and Ju Ji Hoon. I have missed KHS in dramaland and her comeback did not disappoint me at all. 

Eventhough we know now that the pick up lines at the party led to a one sided fake romance , it was darn hot. If I had more time I would retype that whole conversation here because it was so smooth !  I did feel sorry for our Attorney Yoon ( dang @Sarang21 @Ameera Ali don't miss out on the JJH fan service, great body :P) who clearly wore his heart on his sleeves and fell for her deep deep.  I liked that he sent the message at the end warning her of the gangster, even though she conned him . But you know , part of me has a feeling it wasn't entirely a fake romance...don't you think she may have had some feelings there  as well...there was a moment when she seemed a little wistful when she drove off after he confronted her.

Her outfits are definitely quite OTT but I suppose it is for effect...she was gorgeous all dressed up even with the wig and all. I do understand why she's the opportunist that she is because she's clearly a survivor wanting to overcome her abusive past and trying to beat the system that only sides with the rich, powerful and well connected. 

Anyway , so looking forward to the second episode!

A great start, just hope it stays that way ha-ha.:P

Kim Hye Soo is known for playin' bad@$$ roles so I expected nothin' less.. haven't watched anythin' else Ji Hoon has been in after Goong. He exudes this charisma unlike any other K-Drama actor. It's just mesmerising to watch him. He also has that devilish, brash cockiness that fit his character in this drama.

Poor Hee Jae havin' his @$$ served to him in court, not just by a female attorney but his lover LoL.:blink: It'd be interesting to see how their pairing will continue after her reveal.:lol: Geum Ja seem to have a troubled past of her own.   

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I watched just one episode but I am eager for more. That`s a very good sign.

When Yoon Hee-Jae and his client was waiting for the wife and her lawyer  I knew who was  the lawyer but I could not understand why she had other name. It was an elaborate scheme.  I was sorry for Hee-Jae because he had genuine feelings for her and I totally understand why he is angry but I was cheering for Jung Geum-Ja at the trial.  Geum-Ja vs Hee Jae and a lots of men in suits. I cheer for the underdog.

I love Geum Ja and her friend partner.

I also like the meeting at Geum La`s office. He took the watch back. I think he will be more intrigued by her. He said that they won`t meet again but they will. Geum Ja wants rich customers. She will enter his world. I totally see Hee Jae taking a case just to be opposite her again. Or I see her taking more cases oposing Hee Jae and his big firm. He is competitive and she let him with a restless heart as well. I don`t think he is indiferent to her either.  I can`t wait to see them opposites but learning more about each other in the same time. 

• Like 7

I just watched the second episode. I think this drama became my favorite right now. I can`t wait to see more.

I love Geum Ja. It is a desperation in her that I find relatable. I want her to succeed. She is smart and and she is indeed crossing the bounderies of law and lawless, just like the synopsis said. She is a survivor and always find a solution to land on her feet.

Hee-Jae is smart as well and I can`t wait to see how they are trying to outsmart the other.

Not everything is good at his law firm. I want them in the end to start their own law firm. They will be unbeatable together.

The scene when Hee Jae wanted to break up with that rich girl and there was  Geum Ja. :lol: And she wanted to use him again. And he felt for it. But he scored when he became the lawyer of Seo Jeon Hwa. For a while I will enjoy them being opposites but I really want them to be together in the end.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

I am not going to lie, I tuned in for JJH, but am glad to see KHS here as the FL as well. Definitely excited for this pairing! :wub:

@triplem I have only seen episode 1. I thought it was a nice touch to see a haughty YHJ wear his heart on his sleeves so early on. It shows beneath the surface, he's quite the romantic and capable of being vulnerable. Next, we'll need to see that with JGJ because I agree there was a hint that she has some feelings as well, which were probably not expected by her. Really clever of the writer to start out their "relationship" this way.

Not sure if I completely agree with JGJ's methods, but so far, they're entertaining and I can understand why she resorts to them to survive the small versus big fish environment. The glimpse of her past was telling as well.

I agree with everyone here that it's off to a great start! :)

• Like 6

Ep 2 was on fire! Bring on the cat and mouse game! Also, the chemistry between the lead actors is sizzling! :D 

Talking about fire, did anyone notice the fireplace looking thing in Yoon Hae Jee's home?

What is that?

A BBQ?

A heater?

A lighter?

A pit to throw evidence into when a case requires it?  :D

q9VOkqw.png

With the amount of corruption and dirty games our lawyers are playing, I guess that fireplace would come in handy.... ;)  

• LOL 8